BuzzSumo is a social media tool that provides various insights for content marketing and SEO campaigns. When a company uses BuzzSumo, they can expect to see what people are sharing and discussing within their product or service niche. From there, campaigns can be analyzed to figure out exactly what content will work. Watching the trend of content to curate for future use is also a helpful tool. Companies can also use BuzzSumo to analyze competitors top content and find guest post and interview opportunities.
- No limits to reach
BuzzSumo was created to make finding content through a social search seamless. Since there are constantly articles and other forms of content being published on the web, it can be difficult to filter out the content that is not applicable and focus on what will resonate with an audience. Identifying the trend for a particular niche or target is made possible through the BuzzSumo platform.
There are a number of factors that set BuzzSumo apart from other content searching platforms available. In addition to making searches simple and fast, there are other features that will benefit every day users and experienced online marketers. These features include:
- Discovering by Time Period: Users can search and discover shared content from most social platforms in the last 12 months or narrow it down to the last 24 hours. BuzzSumo users can view trending content and subsequently analyze the content that is trending over a designated period of time.
- Social Network Search: the searching function allows users to filter by the social platform to find content that is trending on a specific network, like Facebook or Twitter.
- Advanced Operators: The advanced operators function is used to create tailored searches. For example, users will be able to remove certain words from searches to narrow results.
- Content Specific Discovery: when a user makes a content type search, they will be able to search just videos or infographics.
- Domain Browsing: users can type in a domain to find the most shared content that originated from that specific source.
- Author Filters: search an author's most shared content by using the operator "author:name" or by selecting their name.
While the BuzzSumo platform is designed to specifically help search and filter content, there are also other features that benefit online marketers or users. The following are all a part of the BuzzSumo platform:
- Monitoring: complete with keyword and brand alerts, domain alerts, author alerts, link alerts, email or RSS alerts, and a personalized dashboard.
- Influencers and outreach: find influencers, analyze influencer, follow influencers, influencer sharing, export influencer data, and even outreach.
- Content insights: after finding the content that resonates with an audience, users can then use analytics/reports to optimize content marketing.
- Content Research and Planning: get the data and evidence needed to ensure that the focus on the content remain consistent and engaging to the audience.
- Content Curation: discover, curate, and then share content that can complement/extend content marketing efforts.
- Competitor Research: Get competitive insight on what content is getting attention for competitors, their successful networks, and how it compares.
There are essentially no limits to BuzzSumo's reach, meaning they are compatible with almost all main social networks. BuzzSumo will be able to search and filter shared content across all of these social platforms.
- Posting limitations
- No mobile app
While BuzzSumo provides a quality platform for finding, analyzing, and tracking content on the web, it is not necessarily an effective post tool. That means while BuzzSumo will save time in some areas, there may be a need to supplement the service with an additional social tool. For example, with BuzzSumo users will not be able to perform the following functions:
- Schedule Posts
- Engage with Audience
Currently, BuzzSumo is an entirely online/desktop service. Marketers will not be able to use a mobile device to access their dashboard or search through content. There is no mobile app for tablets, iPhones, Android products, or other smart devices.
The Bottom Line
BuzzSumo is an ideal tool for users looking to find the best content and ensure that they are sharing quality content to their target audience. It is a comprehensive tool for content search and filtering, but there are some aspects to the platform that are lacking. Those that use BuzzSumo can expect the following from the platform:
- Complete content search
- Ability to quickly filter results
- Compatible with most social networks
- Missing some engagement features
- No mobile app to download