Launched in 2008, Bit.ly has optimized links so marketers can own their customer experience. They help marketers with branded links, mobile deep linking, omnichannel campaign tracking, and audience intelligence. This approach has provided users with an unbiased view into the complex digital landscape in an attempt to improve customer experience.
The Bit.ly service was created so marketers can optimize links and own their own customer experience. Their service gives brands the opportunity to take advantage of a holistic, unbiased view into the digital landscape by controlling and owning the customer experience on the web. Only "Bitlinks" are powerful enough to allow users to see across the internet.
Bit.ly believes in "unleashing the power of the link." They do this by shortening and allowing brands/users own their content. The benefits of using Bit.ly do not stop there, either. Additional features include:
- Link Shortening: shorten, brand, and optimize links across all devices and channels. Then share them through Bit.ly, API or other available integrations. With parameters, campaign drivers and multiple website pages, links keep getting longer. With Bit.ly, these links can be kept short for sharing purposes.
- Measure Impact: the ability to track individual link analytics, gather audience intelligence and engagement, and even measure campaign performance in one dashboard is all available. These insights can be used to learn exactly what content is resonating with the targeted audience to continuously improve strategies.
- Optimize: the data allows for marketers to collect insights based on performance and then optimize marketing efforts and strategies to better fit customers needs. These links recognize what device your customers are using and directs them to the right content to provide the best customer experience available.
Bit.ly links are designed to be shared, branded, and even customized to provide the best service to a targeted niche or audience. Bit.ly links can be shared across most marketing channels including: email, SMS, display, social platforms, and others. When content is shared, data and insights are then collected to determine the effectiveness. By branding links, short domains include the brand name instead and take control of content. Users are then able to give context to the link by customizing the back half of the links to maximize performance and redirect links so they can be continuously used.
While Bit.ly provides a quality service when it comes to sharing content and tracking engagement, there are some features missing that are important to note. The following features are usually found in social media tool's services, but are not provided by Bit.ly:
- Monitoring services
- Ability to export data
- No scheduling or responding on social media
For premium accounts and unlimited link shortening/branding, there is a fee associated with the Bit.ly service. That being said, marketers or business owners will need to contact Bit.ly to find out what the price for these services will ultimately be. This lack of pricing information can make it difficult to determine whether or not the service is worth using.
The Bottom Line
Bit.ly is one of the best link shortening and branding services available on the web. While there are other platforms to choose from, Bit.ly provides a number of unique services and features to marketers. That being said, there are some limitations to the platform as well. Those that use Bit.ly for link purposes can expect the following from the service:
- Customized and shortened links
- Measuring data and analytics
- Compatibility to most social platforms
- No monitoring or scheduling available
- Cost associated with premium accounts