Google Shopping Logo

Google Shopping

Is This Your Business?

Anyone who has ever spent more than a few minutes on the Internet know what Google is. The giant has been in business since 1998 and is synonymous with searching the Web. Google has also expanded considerably over the past decade, adding a number of tools, resources and business to its repertoire. One of these is Google Shopping, which, like its competitors, offer online buyers a look at products and comparisons of their prices. Google Shopping was started in 2002 and has undergone several rebrands and changes. The name became Google Search in 2012.

The Good

• Timely products
  • Tech-heavy
  • Buying education
  • Price listing
Google Shopping has the following elements that you will like as an online shopper or merchant:
  • Timely products. If it's summertime, Google Shopping will feature products that are unique to the season and popular in that particular time of year. If it's winter, the site will feature holiday items and those products used primarily in the winter. The same is true for other times of the year, where listed products are relevant and useful to the consumer based on the time of year it is.
  • Tech-heavy. Clearly, in this high-tech digital age, electronic products are extremely popular. Google Shopping specializes in these, and they are heavily featured on the site. Mobile devices and accessories, computers and related products are Google Shopping's specialties.
  • Buying education. Google Shopping provides a Google Commerce blog to give buyers and interested buyers the education they need to make wise online purchasing decisions. There is a natural tendency for some to be leery of buying from online sources, and Google Shopping will help clear up misconceptions, fears and questions.
  • Price listing. Prices shown include tax and shipping, so what you see in the product listings is what you will pay, so there's no need to worry about hidden fees or surprises.

The Bad

• Small selection pool
  • Customer service
Surprisingly, Google Shopping has some flaws and shortcomings that you should be aware of when deciding where to turn to for online shopping. Here are some things Google Shopping does not do well and needs to improve on:
  • Small selection pool. In what might be a shock to some, Google Shopping does not have a large selection to choose from. There are only three listed categories on the home page. Of course, there is a search bar, where you may put in any product you want and wait and see what comes up. But if you are looking to narrow your search, you won't have that availability.
  • Customer service. It's difficult to get a hold of customer service. In fact, no email address or phone number is provided on the site. You have to go through the main Google company site to find any help.
Some prices are estimates. When you buy something, you want to know exactly what you're paying. While the price listings do include tax and shipping (as noted above in "The Good" section), many of the figures are merely estimates.

The Bottom Line

It shouldn't be hard to believe that a company of Google's stature would produce a high-quality product comparison and shopping site. Google Shopping is simple, to the point, and easy to use. There's nothing flashy about the site, but finding the products you're looking for is a breeze. Unless you like the ability to narrow searches through categories (which Google Shopping doesn't have), there's no reason you won't love Google Shopping.

Rande H

It has been relatively helpful. I would like to see the search engine's interface expanded to include more refined searches which in turn would provide increased probabilities to find a specific product within the user's local area. Additionally, I would like to see a more secure ratings system for each retailer which products/services are being offered. This would instill a greater consumer confidence in the retailers provided.

Eric San Diego, CA

Arguably the best search engine for just about anything. Google controls the search engine world like no other. When I need to search something I go straight to Google. I very rarely ever use any other search engine. When using it for shopping its great as you would expect. Much like everything google does its shopping search engine is of course flawless.

Kathy Hudson

I am very pleased & trust Google shopping. They give me a wide range of product selections. Sometimes, I have difficulty receiving the "exact company" I'm searching for, when I am trying to locate a company, opposed to a product. I would prefer that Google provide the exact company's website.

take7 Sandy, UT

I never knew this was a thing until recently when it gave me options and discounts to shop through google. Impressed! I like that it gives you a snapshot of what's available out there and prices and then you can go from there. Hassle free and safe.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Google shopping is so easy and fast that it makes you use them almost exclusively. They have tons of info on search engine results that it makes shopping fun at finding the lowest prices online for merchandise. I like how info is displayed and how relevant the search results are.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

Google is ALWAYS the search engine I use. If I don’t know the answer then I “google” it. I feel like you can’t find just about anything on google. I use it daily and it’s what I tell my girls to use. It’s super user friendly and it’s something I will continue using on a daily basis.

Kylie Howes Provo, UT

Google has a lot of options for shopping, but it only really directs you to sellers, and doesn't oversee much beyond just being the search engine. Items are still shipped and overseen by the sellers themselves, so it's more like ebay than amazon. The nice thing is that items are usually coming from actual outlets and stores rather than individual people selling their items, so they're usually more reliable than ebay.

Tony Riverton, UT

Google is my go to for finding exact clothing or shoe items that I find at the mall and love but don't love the high prices. I recently bought a pair of snow boots online that were $140 in the store but with google search, I found the same pair on sale for $120 and it had a coupon offer for an additional 25% off. Pretty Awesome!

Lilly Logan, UT

Whenever I need something specific I just type it into google and then go under shopping and it lists the items with the price and stores it’s at. Most helpful thing! I was in desperate need of a certain dress for an event and this is exactly how I found it.

Curtis Garner Provo, UT

Great way to compare prices. By far the best way to get a feel for buying options, especially when you don't know exactly what you are looking for. Doesn't always find everything, so it is still worth browsing through sites devoted to the product type in question, but google shopping is a great way to identify major suppliers.

Starski Cene Vienna, VA

Use google shopping to find the best prices! Pros: Can search multiple sites in one place Can sort by price to find the best deal If you don't care about quality (see review below) you can normally find the best deals on a product (textbooks, DVDs, books, etc.) Cons: Some of the sites they feature are less well known Some of the sites they feature sell bootleg or fakes of the real products (books are a perfect example), no way to distinguish between the two unless you are vigilant

Amber C Frey San Diego, CA

So far I've only bought one thing through Google Shopping but it was a very nice experience. I bought an Iron Maiden shirt and it was much cheaper than elsewhere online. Fast shipping, I got it within the week and the shirt was in great condition.

L. Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

I like google shopping because it can usually pull up everything on the internet that is in a certain category. For example, I need a purple, long sleeved shirt. If I type that in the search engine it will pull up many purple, long sleeved shirts and where to to buy them. I like the way that it displays the least expensive price. It is unique and has been helpful when looking for specific items.

Emily Tallahassee, FL

I can type in anything I want on google and find everything I could ever need. It shows multiple websites and price ranges so I can find the best product at the best price.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

They have the ability to find items that I am looking for and get them to me quickly and at a very good price. I also believe that they are only going to get better over time.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I used to be a huge fan of Google- but I have been disillusioned with them lately. Their search engine is great because I can price compare, but I have a hard time justifying using their service when they do so much to suppress opposing companies.

Pete Centerville, UT

I love using Google Shopping because it helps me find the product i'm looking for from multiple stores so i can find the best price/quality product out there. It's really easy to use as well.

Mark

I comparison price when I shop online. If I find the price lower here than elsewhere, I look for Google's warranty to decide which company to buy from. I have not been disappointed in any purchase and in need of using the warranty, but find assurance knowing it is there. I would appreciate having more department store pricing included.

Ashley Roberts Norcross, GA

Google shopping is very easy to use and is always Fast even if my internet isnt working very well. The selection could be higher and there are alot of ads but it is generally a very good search engine for shopping

Elizabeth Klemm Tallahassee, FL

Google Shopping does a great job of showing you exactly what you need as well as the cheapest/best options for what you searched for. I have purchased items off of Google Shopping multiple times and I plan to continue to do so in the future.

Mykahla Nelson Managua, MN

Google shopping is pretty similar to other shopping search engine! In my opinion it’s the best and has so many options to buy things! I bought some leggings and they came and were exactly what I wanted !

Dwhoush Pensacola, FL

I use Google shopping anytime I am looking for A specific item I want to buy. I love how it shows the different stores where I can buy it with the different prices. It even shows local and online.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

I use Google Shopping a few times a month. I find that their platform is easy to use and that I have a variety to choose from. When I have to contact customer service, they are knowledgable and very helpful. Though I am a brick and mortar shopper, Google Shopping handles my online needs well.

Nichole Hiatt Eagle Mountain, UT

I have used Google Shopping a few times when comparing prices on the same product; a few times I have purchased through Google Shopping because they've offered a discount if I went through their shopping site. It was easy and quick, and I saved money.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

I use Google Shopping tab all of the time to compare prices of the same things at different stores. It's so awesome how they appear at the top of the screen and I can toggle through for the best price.

Connor Farmington, UT

The shopping option on google turns any search into the best places to buy whatever you were searching for. They have great options as far as platforms you can choose from to purchase whatever you search.

Kaydence Bonino Riverton, UT

I'm pretty sure I use google shopping everyday! Its awesome! It makes shopping so much easier...Just type the name or description of what your looking for and it list everything that matches.

Sandra Dayton, NJ

Anytime I’m in the store and I need to price match I go right to Google and I go to the shopping and all prices are compared at that time instantly and I know where to get the best bargain

Desi Pleasant Grove, UT

Google is a very, very helpful resource. I always google everything. Everybody uses google. It has so much stuff, it's trustable, fast, and convenient. So thank you Google, for helping me everyday!!

ave Pleasant Grove, UT

I love shopping through Google. I can type in just about anything that I am looking for and up pops items with the description I typed in from various website on the web with prices and then a link to the website. It is great!

Jaime American Fork, UT

I use Google Shopping often when I am searching for an item to buy. I like that it gives me the option to compare the price at several different stores on one page. Super helpful.

Paige Baldwin Wellsville, UT

Google Shopping is so handy and helpful. They pull up a million options of what you’re looking for or you’d potentially buy. They usually show what is most adorable which I appreciate.

Sierra Beck Herriman, UT

I often search for a product on Google and then select the shopping icon. It is helpful that I can look at the different tabs like all, images, and shopping and switch between them.

Anne Sainsbury Payson, UT

I was looking for a pair of boots, and googled brown ones! I was able to find the exact ones i wanted, buy them, and all in less than half an hour and for under $50! It was a great experience and I love my Aldo boots!

Liana Colorado Springs, CO

This is great if you are looking for more obscure items, such as collectibles, or want to avoid big-name stores like Amazon or Walmart. Support the little guy once in a while!

Julie Kincaid Soldotna, AK

What I love about Google shopping is that sometimes I need something and I am honestly not sure where to buy it! Google to the rescue! It is a quick and wonderful time and sanity saver.

BLF Pleasant Grove, UT

I love to shop through Google Shopping because they have access to everything that is on the web and it can break everything down into categories. For example if I want to find a blue shirt with ruffles I can type in that search and it will pull every shirt up that it finds with those credentials.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I use Google Shopping almost weekly as I look up item after item and when I find what I want I but it or compare it to other locations. It is easy to use and very user friendly to search by keyword or other ways.

Dee Farquharson Washington, DC

I've never purchased directly from searching on Google. But searching for items is easy and nicely organized. It would be nice to have more stores listed when on the shopping tab to get more accurate information on the items I'm looking for (sometimes the websites aren't listed correctly)

Kathie Bowman Lakeside, CA

I use google for everything. If I need to find someone to buy something specific I will google it and it always helps me. Google shopping is very easy to maneuver and use. I use google shopping often

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

Shopping on google is almost too easy. They have quite a wide selection at low prices. I also really like how easy it is to compare prices. Highly recommend!

Natalia Correa MDTribe Tallahassee, FL

You can never go wrong with google. It covers all your bases and narrows down your searches to exactly what you need. Highly recommend starting here.

mickey norris Cumming, GA

I purchased from Google Shopping and the wrong product was shipped. I talked to Google Customer support 12 times over 4 weeks each time asking for 2 days to get to the bottom of it. I ended up talking directly to the store that shipped the products due to Google's inaction and was able to get a partial refund. Google still has not refunded the rest. The company states that Google misrepresented the products, Google claims that the company product was listed correctly. Putting me in the middle of it to resolve. I've never had this issue with Amazon.

Shirley Godin

I have tried several shopping search engines but Google always points me in the right direction. They are perfect in every way!

Emerald Scott West Jordan, UT

Using Google Shopping is great to quickly compare prices across tons of sites. I trust that I'm finding the best options when I check here before buying.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

I love using google shopping to shop for items across multiple sites at once. It also helps me get a sense of how much the item I am looking for should cost.

Steve Jones Riverton, UT

Google is my search engine of choice. I conduct multiple searches on it every day as it helps me with locating the item I'm shopping for and helps me find the best price!

Kogan Powell West Valley City, UT

Google is pretty good at guessing what your looking for and you can usually find what you need or something similar. It's not the first place I go to shop, but it's good to track down things you've seen in ads but can't find on amazon etc.

Brayden Ibert Houston, TX

Google makes shopping easier! The speech to text feature allows me to shop and compare prices quickly. I can also save my searches for future purchases.

SamO Brigham City, UT

Google runs very well and come up with prices and item in a matter of seconds.I like to use Google to look for stuff and prices. I don't think it's the best but I think it's a good tool.