eBay Logo

eBay gives both businesses and individuals the option to buy and sell online. They also boast being able to have people receive and send digital payments through PayPal. Not only just a place to buy and sell, they also offer commerce, retailing and digital marketing for their merchants. This is one of the largest online shopping places you can find to date. With more than 700 million products listed, you can find nearly anything your heart desires.

The Good

• Sorting fields
  • Time in business
  • Buy and sell
We love that there are so many sorting fields for each product which help narrow down what you are looking for. The fact that they have been in business for almost 20 years successfully is also a good thing in our opinion. This is also not just a place to buy items, but you can sell your own if you choose as well. Being able to bid on items sometimes means that you can get extremely good deals. The Buy it Now option also lets you bypass all the waiting that is done through auctioning, though be advised that you may pay a higher price to get it right then than if you participated in an auction.

The Bad

• Product comparison
  • Reviews
We really wish there was a way to compare products side by side, but with the variety of products being sold and by so many different people, this might not be something they will ever be able to offer. There are also no product reviews available. The wide range of products being sold and many of them from individuals instead of merchants might make this hard, but it would be a nice feature.

The Bottom Line

Overall is a good shopping engine if you aren't looking to compare items. There is such a wide array of products to choose from and they change daily so if you can't find what you need at first, you can wait and watch to see if something becomes available to you. There are so many features available to using eBay that make it easy to use.

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

You would be amazed at what you can find at a garage sale. Multiply that by a million times or so and you've got eBay, which originated as an auction house. Nowadays, auctions are the only way to purchase an item. Buy it Now and Make an Offer are alternatives if you need the item sooner. eBay guarantees your transaction, in the event of items not matching the description or damaged shipments. A majority of the sellers are businesses and not individuals. Learn the search syntax to narrow your search, because the filters on the left margin might exclude a gem.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

eBay is a great way to buy things online. But it's an auction website, which can be a pain. I like buying things on eBay with their Buy It Now option. That way I don't have to wait a certain amount of days and time before the auction ends to remember to bid on items. I don't like it when people sell items on eBay with a reserve. If you won't accept any less than a certain amount of money, then that's what you need to start the bidding at. But otherwise it's great. You just have to be careful of the shipping. Some people will price things really low but then charge an outrageous amount for the shipping. And you have to be careful to check where the item is from. I've accidentally bought stuff from other countries before and it takes forever for the things to get here. Thankfully eBay has an option to choose to view items only in the US, so that helps prevent me from accidentally buying something that will take forever to get here. I still have to be careful and check how much people charge for shipping. But there are some people who try to sell things for way too much on eBay, which is ridiculous, but I don't buy those items.

Robyn Brady Kent, OH

LOVE LOVE LOVE Ebay...especially when I am looking for something unique and hard to find. I like that we can see the sellers reviews as well. Sometimes that makes all the difference in my decisions.

Donald Gustafson Colorado Springs, CO

always helped me with a problem and never had any problems with getting my money back when i didn't recieve the right items

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

eBay is basically the best thing out there for internet shopping. While others exist, eBay has channelled great retailers, wholesalers, and individual non-business sellers onto one great online platform. That platform is intuitive and helps guide you to what is important to you- cost, condition, quantity, etc. It helps find exactly what you need or want in clothing, household goods, collectibles, everything! And you can use most payment types and use all kinds of eBay rewards. Making things even cheaper ! Super smart to use eBay for online shopping.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

Ebay is a great tool to find used items at a great price! I have always had a good experience using Ebay. They have SO many items to choose from and have an effective process for bidding. I sometimes wonder about the legitimacy of some profiles- but I have never had a problem. I have always gotten my packages in a timely manner and it has looked at expected.

Rodger Reed

Very Good. eBay provides a wide variety of products at prices you would find in store, as well as lower prices because of competition. What makes EBay so competitive is the ability to purchase at a set low price with free shipping and the wide array of products you can purchase. Customer service is excellent and there is fair return/refund policy.

Rick Rodgers

Keep sellers accountable. Variety of products are good. Access and navigating the site is extremely easy. Records kept of purchases is a nice feature keeping records for up to three years is very nice. Lastly the differnt pay options have been a nice option.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

Are use eBay on a weekly/monthly basis. Anytime that I no longer use something around the house, there is sure to be somebody on eBay wanting to buy it. EBay is allowed me to keep my house cleaner, and it’s an easy way to make money. The app on the phone is very easy to use, and it’s the first app I go to to sell stuff.

Breanna Jones Salt Lake City, UT

I tend to be a little hesitant when shopping on eBay and buying something used but eBay guarantees every product that you buy so that makes me feel better about shopping here more. Prices are always pretty good. I hadn't done thing until recently but I shop for new items on eBay. I have found good deals on clothing items that are brand new. eBay needs to do a better job of letting people know that they don't only sell used/vintage items. eBay sells a lot of the same things Amazon does.

Robert Wilson Rockville, MD

I used eBay to but my son a vintage Baltimore Bullets basketball jersey for Christmas. The seller had a high feedback rating and was considered "Top rated Plus". The price was just ok, I could not find it any other place so really had no choice. The jersey came in 6 days which is not bad considering it was December. I would not buy from eBay unless the seller has many positive reviews as there a lot of scams especially around knock-off clothes brands. The selection at eBay is huge but can be hard to find some things if they are not a well-known object - you get a lot of "false positives" in the search sometimes. Will continue to use eBay especially for things I can't find elsewhere.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

We have both bought and sold for many years on eBay. I love that I can enter just about any item and find what I am looking for... and that they offer both used and new options. I love the buy it now feature, but enjoy the challenge of the bidding for select items. They have great customer service that is very helpful when an item is not delivered or the product received is not as advertised.

Amber C Frey San Diego, CA

I buy lots of things off of Ebay. If you're looking for something rare this is the best place to look. I've found all sorts of cool things on Ebay. It is 100% my go-to when it comes to any music memorabilia, you can find almost anything you're looking for on there. Great customer service too; if you didn't get exactly what you ordered they refund you or replace it pretty quickly.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I've purchased several items from ebay over the years. It is exactly what it claims to be and the products I've purchased have arrived quickly and exactly as advertised. Good company.

Theresa Rash

I've purchased hundreds of items from this company. The customer service is excellent, the products have been whay I was expecting and the few times they weren't, returing snd gettjng a refund was handled quickly.

Michael C Finlay

I find it easy to locate parts and products I need whether new or used. I usually get my stuff on time or usually early. They always provide a tracking number and easy to pay for things.

Gary Mayer South Jordan, UT

Have been using ebay since the first year they started. I am happy to say their service allows me to shop from home without fighting the crowds. It also allows me to sell my products around the country.

Pete Centerville, UT

I recently bought some shoes from eBay that I couldnt find anywhere else. It was really easy to find them and order them, I would definitely use eBay again for items like this, ones that you can't find anywhere else will usually be here.

Mark

EBay is one of the sites I use for comparison shopping. It is rare that I have need of filing a complaint or to return an item, and the vendors have been cooperative. The majority of my purchases and deliveries have been satisfactory, and I will continue to shop at Ebay.com.

Steve Jones Riverton, UT

I have been doing business with eBay for over 10 years as both a customer and a seller. Overall, I find the pricing to be fair and the items I purchase to be high quality. Also, If you're a collector, eBay is a good starting point for your search.

Jeremy Webb Dallas, TX

eBay is great online shopping website to find used merchandise. I’ve found many things on eBay for home work and even friends. Sometimes you can run into a bad seller but eBays customer service is very attentive and takes care of the situation. They have a buy back guarantee!

Lawrence Lee Provo, UT

I want to like eBay more! The biggest issue for me having been a buyer and seller on eBay is trust. It was nice to feel that eBay was on my side once in a while as a seller when I really wasn't at fault and I felt that buyers were trying to take advantage of me, but I realized that the masses (buyers) could be incredibly vulnerable with sellers who refused to comply with issues. There was just a sense of less security and confidence with eBay from a buyer perspective that I haven't been able to shake for years. If they rebranded a bit and made policies more buyer-centric (maybe they have by now but I haven't been back since), I think they could be a much stronger e-commerce competitor.

Tom Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

We have used eBay many times and have been satisfied without exception. They offer good pricing for both new and used merchandise and there seems to be no end to what items they offer on-line. Their customer service has been good.

Megan A McEvoy Tallahassee, FL

I used eBay to buy a lot of figure skating dresses for exhibitions I performed in, and it was always a great site to find a lot of options. Figure skating dresses are not very common, but eBay did have a large selection for a great price, which made finding dresses so much easier!

Joy Hill Pleasant Grove, UT

I love eBay. I buy everything on eBay. If I see something I like in the store, I will just look it up and buy it on ebay for WAY less. No need to pay retail. And the customer service is the best out there - in line with Amazon.

Brenda Spanish Fork, UT

I used eBay to buy books when I was in college. I was usually able to find the book I needed for half the price than at the bookstore. Then once I was done with it they made it easy to resell it and so I would usually break even.

Jacob Shaner

I used to use eBay all the time. They have a really good variety of choice, and I like that they now have a Buy It Now option. It's main advantage over sites like Amazon is that people will put up a bundle of their own things, so you can get really good deals. My payments have always been processed correctly, and I have gotten good credits for both signing up and for selling things myself. They have done a good job of vetting sellers as opposed to a few years ago.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used eBay as a shopping engine many times over the years. At first it was the only place to find things, now there are many copycats, but they are still the best place to find things at a good price that can't be found any where else.

Matthew Carbaugh Herndon, VA

I enjoy the rush of getting the winning bid on an item i’ve been monitoring while the sell clock runs down. Also appreciate the buy-it-now feature for sellers with multiple of a sale item that dont neccesarirly require an auction to sell

Katie Kearney Vienna, VA

My husband uses eBay all of the time for his cars and atvs. he always manages to find exactly what he is looking for at a decent price. I have personally only used eBay a couple times but my orders shipped quickly and were in great shape so I have no complaints!

Landon Robison Layton, UT

I buy and sell a lot of stuff on eBay and I always have a good experience. I have had to speak to a couple customer service representatives a few times and they were very helpful as well. I think eBay is the best marketplace to sell items especially.

Better prices than any other site. Need to encourage sellers to pay shipping more often and at least put a real shipping price rather than an inflated one (example: $3.99 rather than $7.95)

Wurdulak

Positive experience. Seller history, rating, and feedback are helpful resources. Perhaps offer home services by accredited companies, or partner with others.

Lindsey American Fork, UT

I've never bought anything on eBay, because I've found cheaper options on other websites. I think certain items are cheaper on eBay, but in my experience it hasn't been cheaper.

Emerald Scott West Jordan, UT

Ebay is hit or miss on shopping. Sometimes the deals are great and sometimes you don't even get a decent product. I use it only when I can't find the item somewhere else. There's not a great way to check the validity of the seller and item.

Danielle Syracuse, UT

Great prices, although i wish there was a better way of screening the sellers. I've had too many experiences where the item being sold was not the correct item. Because of that, I've yet to use EBAY again.

Hayley Lambdin Orem, UT

I haven't used eBay in awhile due to Amazon but I use it every once in awhile when I am looking for a rare product. It's still a pretty great website! Awesome customer service as well.

Alex Murphy Reno, NV

I am always scared to buy things from here because I feel like I am going to be scammed. However, all of my experiences with purchasing things on Ebay have been positive. I have never been scammed on Ebay either

Kenneth Okerlund

Really great place to go, especially if you have time to track items and work out when to bid. I've saved a lot of money by timing my bids really well and have had good experiences with the shipping timing.

Doyal Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

I've used Ebay while looking at cars, but I was almost scammed once on a car. You have to be really careful when on Ebay. You can get some really great deals and find some very interesting and sometimes rare items, but you have to be careful not to get scammed.

Benjamin LeBlanc Dallas, TX

eBay is a great alternative to Amazon if the customer is looking for a more specific good. From anything to use graphics cards to brand new board game models eBay has it all.The only downside to eBay is there is a liability in trustworthiness of its sellers.

Mhorne182 Pleasant Grove, UT

Ebay is hard to judge. It is easy to find good deals but difficult to verify if the product received is legit or a fraud. That is why I do most of my shopping on Amazon. It seems like a more reliable place to get genuine product.

Christyan Bennett Marrero, LA

eBay is an amazing and easy way to buy and sell clothes and anything else. They offer an amazing platform for customers to communicate to other customers to allow an easy process for people to buy and sell anything from clothes to furniture.

Kylie Howes Provo, UT

Ebay is a good way to find items online at a discount, but you ALWAYS want to make sure that the seller is legitimate, because there are often counterfeit items being sold on ebay. Overall, it's not a bad way to find items that often can't be found in other places, like antiques or collector's items, but you generally have to go in knowing what you're looking for, and being willing to watch and wait for it to come on the market.

Martha Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

I use Ebay on a regular basis. I have found many things that I could not afford from other sites. I really like the eBay guarantee. They will help you if you have a problem with a seller.

Miles Strother American Fork, UT

eBay is great for finding cheap deals, but you just have to be careful with who you're buying from. Plus, auctions are a lot of fun and can lead to getting gread deals on used and new stuff.

Curtis Garner Provo, UT

Great place to find really cheap stuff, but the site is incredibly bogged down with duplicate listings from overseas vendors. there are often literally hundreds of listings of the same product sold by the same company, making it difficult to see other options

Sierra Beck Herriman, UT

I love buying things on eBay. My favourite thing is to get little stud earrings. There is a great selection of fun unique earrings that are now expensive. I like being able to select lots of filters like buy it now and free shipping.

Anne Sainsbury Payson, UT

The last time that I used ebay was about 10 years ago. I have had a bitter taste in my mouth ever since. I ordered an ipod shuffle and when it arrived it didn't even turn on. It took 2 months to send the item back and get a refund. If you are looking for a good product I would be wary of using this service. You never know what you are going to get!

Cody Linden Lehi, UT

I have had overall good experiences using eBay, however, I feel that their site could a be a little cleaner and more organized. This leads me to confusion on items at times. But when I do make a purchase everything works out fine.