Anyone who has done any shopping online has no doubt used Amazon.com. Founded in 1995 and based in Seattle, Washington, Amazon is the king of online shopping. The company boasts an amazing $88 billion in revenue annually and has more than 183,000 employees. The company has a number of subsidiaries and does business internationally. Amazon is also very active in the community and has been a staunch contributor to charitable causes and efforts.

eBay chevron_right
Google Shopping chevron_right

The Good

• Reviews
  • Product selection
  • Ease of use
  • Shipping speed and options

Amazon is most likely the best known of any online shopping site. Its popularity can be traced in large part to the many wonderful aspects of its site and service. Here are just a few:

• Amazon.com provides a tremendous amount of customer reviews for each product. The reviews are thorough, well conceived and especially helpful if you are struggling to know whether a certain product is for you. You can see what the average star rating is for each product, giving you a fair idea of how good the product is.
  • Product selection. The product pool is practically endless. Everything from electronics to books to toys and many, many items in between are available. Even older items you might never find at a store can be found on their site.
  • Ease of use. Amazon makes the entire shopping experience a piece of cake. Even a novice online shopper can find and buy his or her product of choice with little problem at all. Products are easily searchable, and the checkout process is fast and easy.
  • Shipping speed and options. Your item might arrive at your door in as little as a day or two. If you are willing to spend a little more, you can opt for overnight shipping. Even standard shipping only takes a week or less.

Product quality. A purchase from Amazon will come to you just as if you ran down to the corner department store and picked up an item fresh off the manufacturing table. Rarely will you get a product that has flaws or damages, and if you do, Amazon will make it right.

The Bad

• Customer service
  • Product availability

There's not much to complain about when it comes to Amazon.com. Here are a few small items:

• Customer service could be better. If you need to make a change on an item, cancel an order or discuss any issue, customer service can be a little hard to work with. Response and resolution times are bit longer than one would like, and making order changes can be a hassle.
  • Product availability. Some products have limited availability whose selections go fast. You need to be prepared to act quickly if you see an item you want or it can be gone in a flash.

The Bottom Line

Clearly, Amazon.com is at the forefront of the online shopping industry. No one is better at providing an overall satisfactory customer service experience. Amazon is so good, in fact, that once you use it, you may very well never do online shopping anywhere else. Some people may never do much shopping at all at traditional stores. This is unfortunate for the competition, but the fact is that Amazon is an excellent option, and you are almost certain to like what it has to offer. There's no compelling reason to go anywhere else.

Sandi Westover

November 9th, 2017 Fremont, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Amazon for almost all of my online shopping. They have the best prices. Better than I can find in the stores. I don't shop clothes thru Amazon but I do for all my household items.

Sandy Sutton

November 8th, 2017 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I feel very secure using Amazon. I've never had any problem ordering and receiving merchandise.

Katelyn Petersen

November 8th, 2017 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love using Amazon. Especially Amazon Prime. It’s definitely worth the money when you are crunches on time and need an order shipped fast.

Kristen Westover

November 8th, 2017 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love Amazon! We use it almost monthly. They have great prices on items. I love the 2-day shipping. There has been on occasion when things don't make it in the 2 days and customer service is always great to work with us.

Kent Jensen

November 8th, 2017 Newberg, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good selection, one stop shopping. Delivery always on time. only one mistake in all the years I have purchased form them and it was corrected quickly. very satisfied.

Rebecca Richardson

November 7th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I just recently had an experience with Amazon where I went to return an item that didn't fit right. I then received a message from Amazon saying I did not need to ship the item back, and they still refunded me. It was a pleasant surprise. I'm always impressed with how easy they make returns.

John Smith

November 7th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had a few bad experiences with amazon (late/damaged shipments), but for the most part it's a great online shopping provider.

Shanna

November 6th, 2017 Frederick, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love Amazon! We can get almost anything, shipped to our house the next day! Great customer service too!!

Darrell

November 6th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If you are a buyer on Amazon, the process is quick and easy. I buy stuff all the time from them and its a quick painless process. However, if you wish to be a 3rd party seller on their website, get ready to be treated like a diseased second class citizen. Their service for sellers is non-existant. Be prepared to hunt around for days trying to find contact information, then when you get it, talking to some dude from Asia that has no idea what he's doing. Your only hope is to pray that nothing ever goes wrong with your store. Because interacting with Amazon as a seller is like kissing your sister.

Dale Zollinger

November 5th, 2017 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have ordered from them 3 times and have never recieved what i ordered.

Gary Mayer

November 5th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am an amazon prime customer. Love shopping from home. Their return policy is quick and easy. Being a prime member saves me hundreds of dollars a year.

Jami Myers

November 4th, 2017 Victor, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Amazon! I mostly order things for Christmas. I've never had a problem with late delivery.

Stevie

November 3rd, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Nice to have a place for hard to find services.

Connie Mayer

November 2nd, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amazon has so many products to choose from. Their service is also very fast. They are very reliable and they tell you when it's going to be there and it's there! It's awesome. We rely on Amazon.

Alex Murphy

November 2nd, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I LOVE AMAZON. It has revolutionized the way that I shop. Nothing bad that I could possibly say.

Tamra

October 31st, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Nothing beats Amazon, and especially Amazon Prime. Huge variety of products, great delivery with tracking, helpful customer service if there's ever a problem with a vendor. What could beat shopping from home with delivery in 2 days?

Linda Jensen

October 31st, 2017 Newberg, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Amazon a lot. It's a great site to purchase good quality vitamins. I like and use the customers ratings and reviews when purchasing items. And it's great to go to one site when looking for multiple purchases ranging from filters for your refrigerator to DVDs. For the most part I believe the prices to be competitive, but I have found somethings way over priced.

Tiffany

October 30th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amazon is the best company ever. Prime shipping is fantastic. They have everything you could ever imagine. It has changed my life. The return policy is really great as well although sometimes you have to pay like $7 shipping to return something that didn't cost that much in the first place. You have to be ok with not really returning stuff that often. Auto shipping with products you use often is amazing. Customer service is amazing.

Brandon Maughan

October 30th, 2017 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I buy things from Amazon all the time. Love the selection. Love the prices. Love the speed of shipping with my Prime account.

Pete

October 29th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

As a student i've used Amazon to get my textbooks for class and it's always really easy and a lot cheaper. The books always arrive on time and I've never had a problem. Helps me save a lot of money.

Lindsey Andersen

October 26th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great way to get everything I need! They have it all!

Carilee Wilson

October 26th, 2017 Roy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love the variety of services offered and also the opportunity for free shipping, the length of time for delivery is awesome!

Hyrum

October 26th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the free 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime. It is annoying when there's something that is Prime eligible, but you have to buy a certain quantity. But not enough to change my overall opinion of loving the service.

Martinez

July 20th, 2017 Clifton, NJ

Ordered the multipurpose jewelry box and got the delivery within 10 hours. Loved it!

John Schwab

June 13th, 2017 Sandy, UT

Useful website with so many products at the best prices.

Lindsay H.

June 10th, 2017 Draper, UT

Amazon is very user friendly. It makes it easy to search for items and add them to your cart. Delivery is super fast with Amazon Prime and it is easy to make returns.

Kory Staheli

June 10th, 2017

I have been very pleased with Amazon. You can find almost anything you need from the comfort of your own home and have it delivered promptly. It is easy to search and has great refining capabilities. I especially like the free shipping available through Amazon Prime.

Mark

June 9th, 2017

I use Amazon more than any other online shopping site. I generally get the best prices, quick delivery, easy returns, and good customer service.

Anne Holyoak

June 8th, 2017

I love Amazon! The app makes birthday shopping fun, easy, and creative! When I'm not sure what to give I just scroll through their ideas and find something amazing and cheap!!

Carol Hancock

June 6th, 2017

I love the convenience of shopping at amazon. Shopping is very limited where I live so I depend on online shopping. Whenever I am looking for something specific I know I can count on Amazon to give me some options. I also like being able to buy my grandchildren a gift and have it directly sent to their home. When I have had a problem Amazon has always been very willing to work with me to correct the problem.

Michael Lyman

June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Every time I order anything, I have always received prompt delivery. Even when there is a product that is out of stock, I have received the item before the estimated stock date. I would say that they have some of the best delivery service of online ordering. I have never received any damaged items or any incorrect items. Amazon is also much cheaper than other online stores.

Hannah Elliott

May 29th, 2017 Mona, UT

I do all my shopping here, but a few weeks ago they did send me the wrong color of jandals, so I don't know about them anymore. :/