Amazon Logo

Anyone who has done any shopping online has no doubt used Amazon.com. Founded in 1995 and based in Seattle, Washington, Amazon is the king of online shopping. The company boasts an amazing $88 billion in revenue annually and has more than 183,000 employees. The company has a number of subsidiaries and does business internationally. Amazon is also very active in the community and has been a staunch contributor to charitable causes and efforts.

The Good

• Reviews
  • Product selection
  • Ease of use
  • Shipping speed and options
Amazon is most likely the best known of any online shopping site. Its popularity can be traced in large part to the many wonderful aspects of its site and service. Here are just a few:
  • Amazon.com provides a tremendous amount of customer reviews for each product. The reviews are thorough, well conceived and especially helpful if you are struggling to know whether a certain product is for you. You can see what the average star rating is for each product, giving you a fair idea of how good the product is.
  • Product selection. The product pool is practically endless. Everything from electronics to books to toys and many, many items in between are available. Even older items you might never find at a store can be found on their site.
  • Ease of use. Amazon makes the entire shopping experience a piece of cake. Even a novice online shopper can find and buy his or her product of choice with little problem at all. Products are easily searchable, and the checkout process is fast and easy.
  • Shipping speed and options. Your item might arrive at your door in as little as a day or two. If you are willing to spend a little more, you can opt for overnight shipping. Even standard shipping only takes a week or less.
Product quality. A purchase from Amazon will come to you just as if you ran down to the corner department store and picked up an item fresh off the manufacturing table. Rarely will you get a product that has flaws or damages, and if you do, Amazon will make it right.

The Bad

• Customer service
  • Product availability
There's not much to complain about when it comes to Amazon.com. Here are a few small items:
  • Customer service could be better. If you need to make a change on an item, cancel an order or discuss any issue, customer service can be a little hard to work with. Response and resolution times are bit longer than one would like, and making order changes can be a hassle.
  • Product availability. Some products have limited availability whose selections go fast. You need to be prepared to act quickly if you see an item you want or it can be gone in a flash.

The Bottom Line

Clearly, Amazon.com is at the forefront of the online shopping industry. No one is better at providing an overall satisfactory customer service experience. Amazon is so good, in fact, that once you use it, you may very well never do online shopping anywhere else. Some people may never do much shopping at all at traditional stores. This is unfortunate for the competition, but the fact is that Amazon is an excellent option, and you are almost certain to like what it has to offer. There's no compelling reason to go anywhere else.

Fred Frontino Mesa, AZ

I have been an Amazon prime member for about 5 years and really love their service. Especially that past year + with needing to stay home. I have started buying almost everything from them. Some weeks I get 6 or 7 deliveries. Love the easy returns and huge selection.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

I love Amazon. They have great products and I love Amazon Prime. They REALLY need to keep politics out of their business!!!! That's extremely unprofessional!!!!!

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

The great thing about Amazon is that there is a wide variety of products that you can order and find different price ranges for each. The only downside is returning items because if you aren't careful, you could end up paying $36 to return something. I wish they had the return pricing in a more obvious place but overall it is a great site to shop at and I don't return much anyway so it all works out.

Sicely Lyn Russell Phoenix, AZ

I've bought some many things off of Amazon and I love shopping there! And everything that I have bought off of there has come in a timely manner so that is a plus!

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

During this year of COVID, I've used Amazon Prime more than never. Their deliveries always arrive as promised and I've rarely been dissatisfied with the quality. The best thing is the fact that you can return anything, unwrapped, at your local UPS Store and they credit your account back the same day.

Cheyenne Stewart Knoxville, TN

Amazon is excellent! Great prices for your needed items. Great customer service

Macy ,

Amazon store is the most budget friendly option for me at the moment. Always there for it!

ARFordable Pet Grooming LLC

Excellent experience with amazon. It is my #1 go to site or search engine when i want to find or purchase soemthibg. Almost every time amazon has had the lowest price of identical name brand piece whatever it may be. Love the prime memebershio inhave both business snd personal accoubts. I feel its beeter than ebay which used to be about 10 years ago my go to. What amazin could change is the prime membership price. They raised it two yesrs ago which i understand everything has to go up as inflation happens im a business owner myself. But they drastically raised the price not a gradual increase over time and seems as though they took alot of things and made prime unavailable or instead of next day delivery its usuallly 2-3 days. Thats what rhey could do better on. Aside from that have had no problems at all.

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

The selection alone is worth shopping on Amazon. It's convenient, great user interface, easy to use and buy from with good pricing options. I can support smaller sellers or from bigger users or directly from Amazon. I've also used Amazon to look up product information and images rather than to buy them, especially with books. You can look at a few pages to give you an idea on what the book looks like and how big it is. Amazon also has a lot of great services that help you save money like Amazon Pantry or Prime. Shipping is also great and reliable. Amazon has a ridiculous amount of fulfillment centers/warehouses and that is the reason they are able to offer free 2 day shipping.

amycray Bangor, ME

I absolutely love Amazon - you can find anything!!

Robyn Brady Kent, OH

Amazon should actually be calling me and offering me a job! I shop with them for just about everything. I think I had over 600 orders places in 2020. Best prices and the ability to get damaged packaging products for a fraction of the cost! I have found some amazing deals that way. Having a prime membership pays for all my shipping and I get everything fast, sometimes the next day.

Amber Pope

I love Amazon. Shopping is so convenient. The website is very user friendly which eliminates the need of calling customer service. Prompt delivery. They have a wide range of products so the odds of Amazon not having what you need are slim to none. The return policy is simple and has never been a hassle. I always check Amazon first the the products I need!

Tiffany Phoenix, AZ

Amazon has changed my life. It is so easy to find products and not have to go hunting them down at stores! I love my free two day shipping with my Prime membership. It is well worth the cost of the membership. Plus I love all the other little perks they throw in like free music, movies, subscribe and save. I even ordered my Christmas cards from them this year! They make it so easy and convenient and that is why I do 90% of my shopping with this amazing company! I can order my product with one click and it comes straight to my door. It doesn't get much better than that!

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I can’t say enough good about Amazon. Amazon prime is a lifesaver for our family. I do so much of my shopping online for groceries, clothing, home items, decor, books, and more. I love their 2 day shipping and free returns. It makes shopping easy and affordable. I am often able to find things on Amazon for half of the price that I can find them elsewhere. Amazon is my go-to for everything.

Linda Jensen Newberg, OR

I use Amazon a lot. It's a great site to purchase good quality vitamins. I like and use the customers ratings and reviews when purchasing items. And it's great to go to one site when looking for multiple purchases ranging from filters for your refrigerator to DVDs. For the most part I believe the prices to be competitive, but I have found somethings way over priced.

Tiffany American Fork, UT

Amazon is the best company ever. Prime shipping is fantastic. They have everything you could ever imagine. It has changed my life. The return policy is really great as well although sometimes you have to pay like $7 shipping to return something that didn't cost that much in the first place. You have to be ok with not really returning stuff that often. Auto shipping with products you use often is amazing. Customer service is amazing.

Carol Hancock

I love the convenience of shopping at amazon. Shopping is very limited where I live so I depend on online shopping. Whenever I am looking for something specific I know I can count on Amazon to give me some options. I also like being able to buy my grandchildren a gift and have it directly sent to their home. When I have had a problem Amazon has always been very willing to work with me to correct the problem.

Emily Tallahassee, FL

The two-day shipping is what makes Amazon so awesome, I can find whatever I want and get it fast. I can find anything and everything I could possibly want on Amazon which makes it so accessible. And Prime Video is releasing amazing tv shows as well!

Yisha Gu Downers Grove, IL

Amazon has a great customer service system, better price and variety of products. Now days I only shop elsewhere if the other retailer had unique products or I can not find it on Amazon. Amazon Prime members also have a lot of benefits, 1 or 2 days shipping save your time! Prime video, music and reading is a steal!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Amazon is by far the best shopping search engine. It offers the most relevant search results displayed in an organized and effective way. I trust that I get the most information that works for me. And its pretty speedy too. Can't miss if you use the best tools on the internet!

Noelle Davis Long Beach, MS

I ordered a couple of things from Amazon recently and found exactly what I was looking for. They let you track your order at every step of the shipping process. Definitely am going to order more things through Amazon in the future.

Allison Campbell Ellisville, MS

Amazon is a wonderful company they have reasonable prices, great products, great shipping and partner with one of the best companys for drug store products and some products are high end. I order from amazon every other week and I get the product no less than 3 day to 14 days.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I use Amazon all the time. It works exactly as advertised. I am a member of Amazon prime and I get faster free shipping. I really like that I can instantly see many different brands of products very quickly. Strongly recommend.

Meredith S

Love the ability to find almost every product on Amazon and that even if I don't have Prime I can often get free shipping. The products are always good quality and if I need to return anything it is an easy process. However, I wish the filter to sort by price functioned a little better

Jeanette

I like amazon because they always have every single thing I need at lower prices and my items come to my front door within 2 days. I ordered a vanity that was broken when I received it. I called customer service and they had a new vanity delivered to me right away

Todd Thompson

They always have something i need. There are certain products i used to buy all the time, that are ni longer sold by amazon. I wish they woukd bring these products back. They have other products by same company. Only complaint.

Bonnie Esrig

Excellent. I love Amazon because when a problem occurs, they fix it. I like the ability to read reviews and compare prices. The primary area in need of a fix is same day delivery - when they use Logistics the service is unreliable and the personnel are questionable. So I just use 2 day and get delivery by their reputable carriers.

Chenelle

So far, so good. User friendly for sure, competitive prices on most items. Some things ship from overseas and it takes forever to get delivered, that's what I don't like but I buy it anyway. I have options so I can't complain, really.

Rodger Reed

My experience is overall very good, but Amazon has deceptive practices that ai dislike. Amazon manipulates the free shipping in order to create an exaggerated benefit of Prime membership. Shipping anywhere in the U.S. takes no more than 3-5 days, yet Amazon holds orders in their warehouse in order to create shipping windows of up to 13 days in order to sell Prime. It's disgusting.

Alan H Brown

Very Good. Good selection of products and best pricing. The ability to read customer reviews is a big plus although you have to weed out reviews that from disgruntled people who made a wrong purchase or didn't understand the product.

TJ

Amazon is great! it makes purchasing things online so easy. I can always find a better deal on Amazon than anywhere else. I recently saved $200 on printer toner because I decided to check amazons prices prior to buying at Staples.

Megan Rigby

Amazon is wonderful! I am a prime member and love that so many products are available with prime shipping. I don't have to pay extra for shipping costs and the topping on a very large cake is I receive said package in 2 days sometimes faster! its awesome!!

Karen Frisco, TX

I don't shop a lot online, but when I do, I usually use Amazon. I have always had a positive experience with them. All of the items I have received from them have come during the time frame they said it would come and items are well packaged so as not to be damaged. The one time I had to return an item because it broke shortly after using it, Amazon was great in helping me get my money back from the vendor using their site.

Emerald Scott West Jordan, UT

I love Amazon! I have been a prime member for a long time. I do most of my shopping here if I can. It is easy to find any item and there is almost always sales going on. Amazon usually has the best prices for any item. Dealing with their customer service is always a pleasant experience as well.

Tara Beckert Saratoga Springs, UT

Amazon offers just about any product I can think of. Shipping is fast and the products I've received have been high quality. I've used Amazon Prime for about a year now and love the two day shipping. It has been well worth the monthly subscription for me.

Tonia Gray American Fork, UT

Love Amazon! We have prime and have saved so much on shipping and get items in only 2 days. We have used them monthly for over 2+ years. Have only had to return 1 item and it was quick and easy. Christmas has become so much easier!

Luke Gibson Provo, UT

Amazon is wonderfully consistent with both the price and range of products it offers as well as the customer service it provides. They've quickly fixed any problem I've had beyond my satisfaction. The only complaint I have about them as a corporation is that many of their departments suffer from an epidemic of overworking their employees to extremes. As a graphic designer, I can attest through my relationships with people involved that it is *not* a healthy or family-friendly place to work, especially for those in the creative field. I feel that if this one problem was fixed, Amazon would be a five-star corporation.

Rebecca Richardson Pleasant Grove, UT

I just recently had an experience with Amazon where I went to return an item that didn't fit right. I then received a message from Amazon saying I did not need to ship the item back, and they still refunded me. It was a pleasant surprise. I'm always impressed with how easy they make returns.

Darrell Provo, UT

If you are a buyer on Amazon, the process is quick and easy. I buy stuff all the time from them and its a quick painless process. However, if you wish to be a 3rd party seller on their website, get ready to be treated like a diseased second class citizen. Their service for sellers is non-existant. Be prepared to hunt around for days trying to find contact information, then when you get it, talking to some dude from Asia that has no idea what he's doing. Your only hope is to pray that nothing ever goes wrong with your store. Because interacting with Amazon as a seller is like kissing your sister.

Tamra Reno, NV

Nothing beats Amazon, and especially Amazon Prime. Huge variety of products, great delivery with tracking, helpful customer service if there's ever a problem with a vendor. What could beat shopping from home with delivery in 2 days?

Michael Lyman Salt Lake City, UT

Every time I order anything, I have always received prompt delivery. Even when there is a product that is out of stock, I have received the item before the estimated stock date. I would say that they have some of the best delivery service of online ordering. I have never received any damaged items or any incorrect items. Amazon is also much cheaper than other online stores.

Jeremy Webb Dallas, TX

Amazon search engines is usually my go too for finding a lot of my shopping needs! You can find pretty much anything you can think of through it’s search engine and you can even filter out items that won’t be shipped in 2 days with Prime. Inventory is endless, I have found many crazy items to purchase for my business and amazons search engine was the only one to find my needs!

stevey shumway Orem, UT

I love amazon and feel that it is a great company always there to serve you the best they can. When looking for the product I need I never have trouble finding it. There are always several option to what I want and great quality products. The best part of amazon is the prime shipping. I often need something the next day and with Prime you can get one day delivery just like that! I would recommend using amazon to any of my friends.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

I absolutely love amazon. They have been so reliable. I use amazon for 90% of my Christmas shopping. I have ordered other things online and have been so disappointed and have even ordered things that I never received. I’m to the point now that when I see something I want I check to see if I can order it thru Amazon and if I can’t , I don’t buy it. I just love how reliable amazon is and so affordable. I will continue to use them for my online shopping needs.

Lawrence Lee Provo, UT

Amazon is a solid platform. I've used it as a buyer and as a seller. At least when I was a seller, I noticed that Amazon was more customer-centric. Feeling secure with purchases is such an important thing that Amazon so far seems to have done well in addition to convenience! The prime service is also nice for shipping and the prime streaming that comes with!

Beth Christensen Provo, UT

Amazon is super easy to use, really nice to work with even with tricky situations like returns, and has great prices. They actually WANT their customers to get the best deal possible. I'm a student and definitely low on funds but they helped me get a textbook I needed for a class for a fourth of what I was told to pay by the school. I totally recommend Amazon to anyone.

Kylie Howes Provo, UT

You can find literally anything on Amazon, and as long as a product is reviewed well, it's usually good quality. Lots of the sellers on Amazon are trustworthy, but it's always a good idea to read product descriptions carefully and check reviews before you buy an item, to make sure that what comes is actually what you ordered. Amazon prime is definitely worth it, and makes getting the items you bought super easy and quick.

Andrea De La Pava Tallahassee, FL

I use Amazon at least once a week and their shipping times, customer service, and products have been really great. I can buy almost anything I want/need and if it is defective/damaged in anyway, they are extremely quick with refunds and exchanges. I definitely recommend prime however, as it allows you to also have access to prime video where movies like Lady Bird and Moonlight can be watched. It also allows for free two-day shipping with the membership, and even occasional one day shipping. Amazon is great.

Rilynne Edwards Pleasant Grove, UT

Amazon has just about anything you could think of. I use Prime, so my items are usually delievered in 1-2 days. The items are great quality, but I would recommend buying from a credible source. I've had friends who have bought from unaccredited companies in Asia that have ended up being terrible quality and overpriced. Just be aware of who the seller is.

Kimberly LeBaron Delta, UT

I use Amazon all the time. They have just about anything you could look for, with some of the cheapest prices on the market. Their review system is super helpful, returns are easy, customer service is great, and having a Prime Membership offers lots of advantages not just with amazon itself, but Audible, Amazon Music, Amazon Video and any other services they offer. It’s such an easy way to find and purchase things.