AT&T U-verse Logo

AT&T U-verse

7.5

LAST UPDATED: October 22nd, 2021

AT&T U-verse has been a stalwart in the industry over the past many decades. Known throughout the world even today as a giant in the communications space, their innovative existence provides a secure support system to the U-Verse platform. For example, AT&T U-Verse was the first company in the United States to enable customers with the ability to watch TV throughout their home in places without a TV outlet. This was made possible by utilizing integrated wireless receivers.

The Good

• U-verse TV Packages
  • The U-verse App
  • Interactive TV Apps
  • Contract Length
  • Combine and Save
  • International Channels

U-verse TV Packages

AT&T U-verse’s five different TV packages should please anyone from the casual TV watcher to the dedicated movie fan. The basic package has over 25 channels and the most extensive U-verse TV package has over 565 channels. Here’s a quick rundown of what customers can get with each package:

U-Basic TV

• Includes: Bravo, CN, ESPN

U-300 TV

• $60 per month* + taxes
  • 495+ channels
  • Includes: HD and Premium channels (Showtime, STARZ®, and The Movie Channel™)

U-450 TV

• $110 per month* + taxes
  • 565+ channels
  • Includes: HD and Premium channels (HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime)

*Customers must sign up for a 12-month agreement. AutoPay & Paperless bill is required.

The U-verse App

The U-verse app lets customers control their DVR from anywhere. Customers can set their favorites, stream live TV, check the guide to schedule recordings, or turn their phone into a U-verse remote control.

The app is free and available from the App Store, Google Play, or the Amazon app store. Members of the U-verse can download the app onto their iOS/Android smartphones, tablets, wearables, as well as Amazon Fire TV devices.

Interactive TV Apps

The U-verse has several interactive TV apps to help make a customers entertainment experience more comfortable. Here are a few of the interactive apps available.

• Multiview and My Multiview: Allows customers to track up to four shows at a time on one screen
  • Phone Services: Customers can see their caller ID and message-ready notifications on their TV
  • Stingray Karaoke: Get access to popular songs and create a playlist
  • The Weather Channel: Customers have access to local and national forecasts from experts. The app allows members to track warnings and severe weather alerts.

Contract Length

AT&T U-verse offers a 12-month contract, which is shorter than many competitors' 24-month contracts. In fact, even though AT&T owns both DIRECTV and AT&T U-verse, DIRECTV still has two-year contracts while U-verse has one-year contracts. This could be a benefit for customers who aren't sure how long they want to commit to a TV provider.

Combine and Save

For customers that need an internet and TV service provider, it might be wise to bundle.

The U-Family TV + AT&T Internet bundle is just $75 per month, includes over 190 channels, users will get up to 100 Mbps internet speeds with unlimited data, and users can stream and surf the web with 99 percent reliability. Plus the professional installation fee is waived ($99 value).

International Channels

AT&T U-verse offers several international add-ons, more than your average TV company. You can watch shows in Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, Russian, and more. This is an exciting opportunity for speakers of other languages, and it might make you more likely to choose AT&T as your provider.

The Bad

• Possible Fees
  • Limited Service Ability
  • Competes with DIRECTV

Possible Fees

As with every other TV service provider, there will be some additional fees and costs. AT&T U-verse is not exempt and customers can expect the following monthly fees to appear on their bill.

• Broadcast TV Surcharge: $6.99–$7.99
  • Equipment Fee (DVR Receiver): $15
  • Equipment Fee (Additional Receiver): $10
  • HD Access Fee: $10
  • Vacation Hold: $7
  • Activation Fee: $35
  • Early Termination Fee: Up to $180 (pro-rated by the number of months completed)
  • Installation Fee: Up to $199 for U-verse TV
  • DVR Upgrade Fee: $105
  • Restoral Fee: $35 per account
  • Service Repair Dispatch Fee: $99
  • Dispatch on Demand Fee: $99

While the pricing for AT&T U-verse seems fairly reasonable, that doesn’t mean they won’t add up over time. Be sure to read the agreement terms before signing a contract to avoid paying more for your TV service provider.

Limited Service Ability

The U-verse is currently only available to 21 states. That being said, living in a state that it is offered is not a guarantee it will be available to you in your specific city — it varies from city to city which makes it difficult to know for sure. You will need to enter in all of your information on their website to know if U-verse is available to you in your area.

• Alabama
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Wisconsin

Residents outside of these states will have to look at other TV service providers.

Competes with DIRECTV

AT&T owns both its U-verse TV offerings and DIRECTV. Since acquiring DIRECTV in 2015, the company has worked to make this its main TV service, steering customers to this choice. As a result, AT&T U-verse may decline or its services may be closed to usher more AT&T customers to DIRECTV. However, this has yet to happen, so perhaps AT&T will not fulfill this prediction.

The Bottom Line

AT&T's U-verse is reasonably priced for the number of channels customers can receive. The app is relatively intuitive and the interactive apps make for a comfortable and convenient entertainment experience. However, the TV provider is not available nationwide and it doesn’t seem to offer much for sports fans. Although monthly fees are standard throughout the industry, we recommend customers keep a close eye on their bill.

That being said, the company has advanced technology that allows your TV, internet, and home phone to be interactive with one another which makes utilizing these technologies more convenient. The television has a digitally clear picture and sound, the internet has capabilities of downloading speeds up to 45 Mbps, and the voice option comes with 20 different calling features.

Call our recommended rep over at AT&T U-verse below.

3.2

Ben Hayward, CA

I had the lowest level of internet service and after a year of service and some minor issues within the time I decided to upgrade to a higher speed and they came out installed the fiber optic cable on the property and when the tech came out to set up the equipment he asked why I was paying for the top level plan when I would never recieve more than 20mps speed and the plan was for 100mps he said I lived more than 3miles away from the nearest hub and that the sales rep should not of even offered the plan I tried it for a few months and found out yes he was right they had to reimburse me for the months I had paid for something I never got

Anthony Pelchat Atlanta, GA

The pricing is nice and the speed is good. The overall connection isn't good as the connection frequently drops.

Nona Orlando, FL

I have given them repeated chances for 2 cycles of phones now and I just can't do it anymore. They are way too automated, customer service isn't trained adequately, they don't remember to put notes into the system. Service is intermittent and calls are constantly dropped. I just can't do it anymore AT&T. You have grown too big and your customer service and quality has suffered and you are charging way too much

G GA

A great try at a service that has a way to go. Much like other providers service and clarity are hit and miss

Debra Williams Cedar Hill, TX

service is costly and seem to have frequently problems with quality like tv freezing even though was sent a replacement box

Justin Pumilia Saint Paul, MN

It is really cool that I can stream from my phone. However the box that they sent us just randomly drops all the time. I do not usually have issues when streaming from my phone. But you would think that the box that has been how traditionally cable worked would not be so bad.

KH Pearland, TX

You would think that since ATT has been in business as long as I have been alive, they would be great at whatever they endeavor, but after all this time, UVERSE IS STILL GLITCHY! We cancelled satellite with both of the other providers because of the problems on rainy days, but UVERSE has become MORE glitchy. We waited forever UVERSE to come to our city, then waited some more for them to come to our side of the street. The picture freezes MORE since they switched to fiber. After COVID and we had to work from home, we discovered that we weren’t actually getting the speed we were paying for. I will say that one great technician fixed the internet problem with their affordable modem to carry the signal through all walls to the other side of the house. The UVERSE IS STILL GLITCHY THOUGH. All this time, never better, just worse. We were even told by a technician that they are planning on phasing UVERSE out and pushing their satellite instead. I like ATT’s customer service, but I am so disappointed with UVERSE.

Fish Madison Heights, MI

I have cable, internet and phone with AT&T U-verse. The service in my area has been great. I'm not interested in dish TV with service blipping out during storms. I use the cable dvd feature exclusively. Two downsides: the huge price jump at the expiration of their "special" service plan. I called and was given another special one-year plan at a good price. The only downside this time was with the installation. I have quite a few cameras, televisons, computers and phones accessing wifi. After the new modem was installed I said to the installer, I assume I can change the password on the AT&T site and the installer said., "I wouldn't recommend it since you have so many items." I had to leave for an appointment, so didn't ask for clarification, even though I found his respond ODD! Later when I checked the new router, it's identified as ATT... with a new password, but my wifi network and password on all my devices shows the old 2Wire network. The new ATT... router is listed as guest. I suspect the installer did a workaround with the install. Calling AT&T and working this out with a person in another country using voice translation is just not going to happen. I have an excellent security program setup so will rely on that until this contract is about to expire. I've started my search for a different provider.

Love Hate ,

I was with AT&T for seven years and I made the mistake of using the automated machine and got cut off and didn’t know I was cut off And they wanted me to pay to get trundle back on.

Valencia Rucker Maple Heights, OH

My experience with U-verse was just okay. The signal and channels kept going out at times but overall it did its job. Now let’s talk about price of the service, each year it increased; that was horrible.

Bcsteele Black Mountain, NC

Att fir the monthly price is not worth it. After the initial triple play rate, our services went sky high. We stopped att and began using Hulu which has been very good so far.

Tim Bishop , GA

They are a decent company, but even though I'm not getting the faster speeds I'm not having to deal with disgruntled ignorant employees as some other companies i have encounter

Pazzo Miami Plant City, FL

U-verse is good. Signal wasn’t too good in my area (FL). Customer service is good. I could try it again in the future.

Madison , GA

Good experience, used for 4 years before moving. Actually though, they often try to raise your yearly spend when you renew, so keep your eye on that. They were helpful when we called in, though!

Della R.Quinn Coleman Plainfield, IL

Been calling At&t about weak Wi-Fi for a while now. My neighbor signal shows up stronger on my electronic in my house. where my service should be 5 bars I usually have 3-4 bars weak. I have had everything replace to what they say is their fastest. I even have a booster box from At&t. Still sucks.

Caleb Warren Norcross, GA

Channel lineup is good, I wish it was a more seamless operating system and more user friendly. Customer service not great but better than some of the other companies, price is too high, otherwise I would use them instead of streaming live tv

Beachnut The Cajun Camper Mandeville, LA

Well, I'd like to say great things about AT&T, but I can't. The Uverse we had in the house was lackluster, at best. We went back to Spectrum, even though we said we wouldn't. Their cable speed can't be beat. Maybe when AT&T gets the gigabit drop...but who knows how much that'll be!!!

Timothy Lesperance Fort Worth, TX

I used this service for a few years. It only offered DSL which would bottleneck horribly. However, it was better than nothing.

Kyle Bucher Fishers, IN

Innovative, but not very effective. We liked the idea of this technology, but it wasn't very effective when we had 1 teen streaming and us using internet TV and 2 laptops.

David Najar Galt, CA

I would love to give ATT a 5 start but the services have been somewhat regular, channel selection is not that great anymore, thinking of just going with streaming services, and removed the huge bill from U-verse.

Sabrina Richardson San Leandro, CA

We had this service for about 2 years. The reception was not the greatest where we lived. We repeatedly had to disconnect the power and reboot the cable box. Once we were able to switch services, we did.

Dwhoush Pensacola, FL

I love that my uverse doesn’t go out in a storm. It is very reliable.I just hate the fact the packages are so much. I have the lowest package and there are very few channels I actually watch.

Stan & Cami Lero Akron, OH

Our service had lots of outages during our 4 years of service. There were high price increases during our service.

Zachary Bergling Apopka, FL

The worst customer service I have ever received after hurricane Irma.

Wasem Daniel Escondido, CA

Nowhere near the speed that DSL providers have but pricing is about the same. Costomer service is less than desirable

Lashon Coe New Baltimore, MI

They hardly ever wanted to renew promotions with existing customers, they didn't have many incentives for loyal customers .

Steven Hoffman

AT&T has changed their onscreen guide to a point that I have move closer to be able to read it.

B-dog San Antonio, TX

The cost is just too high for what you get. Once you get past any promotion, the cost goes way up.