AT&T U-verse Logo

AT&T U-verse

7.5

LAST UPDATED: October 22nd, 2021

AT&T U-verse has been a stalwart in the industry over the past many decades. Known throughout the world even today as a giant in the communications space, their innovative existence provides a secure support system to the U-Verse platform. For example, AT&T U-Verse was the first company in the United States to enable customers with the ability to watch TV throughout their home in places without a TV outlet. This was made possible by utilizing integrated wireless receivers.

The Good

• U-verse TV Packages
  • The U-verse App
  • Interactive TV Apps
  • Contract Length
  • Combine and Save
  • International Channels

U-verse TV Packages

AT&T U-verse’s five different TV packages should please anyone from the casual TV watcher to the dedicated movie fan. The basic package has over 25 channels and the most extensive U-verse TV package has over 565 channels. Here’s a quick rundown of what customers can get with each package:

U-Basic TV

• Includes: Bravo, CN, ESPN

U-300 TV

• $60 per month* + taxes
  • 495+ channels
  • Includes: HD and Premium channels (Showtime, STARZ®, and The Movie Channel™)

U-450 TV

• $110 per month* + taxes
  • 565+ channels
  • Includes: HD and Premium channels (HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime)

*Customers must sign up for a 12-month agreement. AutoPay & Paperless bill is required.

The U-verse App

The U-verse app lets customers control their DVR from anywhere. Customers can set their favorites, stream live TV, check the guide to schedule recordings, or turn their phone into a U-verse remote control.

The app is free and available from the App Store, Google Play, or the Amazon app store. Members of the U-verse can download the app onto their iOS/Android smartphones, tablets, wearables, as well as Amazon Fire TV devices.

Interactive TV Apps

The U-verse has several interactive TV apps to help make a customers entertainment experience more comfortable. Here are a few of the interactive apps available.

• Multiview and My Multiview: Allows customers to track up to four shows at a time on one screen
  • Phone Services: Customers can see their caller ID and message-ready notifications on their TV
  • Stingray Karaoke: Get access to popular songs and create a playlist
  • The Weather Channel: Customers have access to local and national forecasts from experts. The app allows members to track warnings and severe weather alerts.

Contract Length

AT&T U-verse offers a 12-month contract, which is shorter than many competitors' 24-month contracts. In fact, even though AT&T owns both DIRECTV and AT&T U-verse, DIRECTV still has two-year contracts while U-verse has one-year contracts. This could be a benefit for customers who aren't sure how long they want to commit to a TV provider.

Combine and Save

For customers that need an internet and TV service provider, it might be wise to bundle.

The U-Family TV + AT&T Internet bundle is just $75 per month, includes over 190 channels, users will get up to 100 Mbps internet speeds with unlimited data, and users can stream and surf the web with 99 percent reliability. Plus the professional installation fee is waived ($99 value).

International Channels

AT&T U-verse offers several international add-ons, more than your average TV company. You can watch shows in Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, Russian, and more. This is an exciting opportunity for speakers of other languages, and it might make you more likely to choose AT&T as your provider.

The Bad

• Possible Fees
  • Limited Service Ability
  • Competes with DIRECTV

Possible Fees

As with every other TV service provider, there will be some additional fees and costs. AT&T U-verse is not exempt and customers can expect the following monthly fees to appear on their bill.

• Broadcast TV Surcharge: $6.99–$7.99
  • Equipment Fee (DVR Receiver): $15
  • Equipment Fee (Additional Receiver): $10
  • HD Access Fee: $10
  • Vacation Hold: $7
  • Activation Fee: $35
  • Early Termination Fee: Up to $180 (pro-rated by the number of months completed)
  • Installation Fee: Up to $199 for U-verse TV
  • DVR Upgrade Fee: $105
  • Restoral Fee: $35 per account
  • Service Repair Dispatch Fee: $99
  • Dispatch on Demand Fee: $99

While the pricing for AT&T U-verse seems fairly reasonable, that doesn’t mean they won’t add up over time. Be sure to read the agreement terms before signing a contract to avoid paying more for your TV service provider.

Limited Service Ability

The U-verse is currently only available to 21 states. That being said, living in a state that it is offered is not a guarantee it will be available to you in your specific city — it varies from city to city which makes it difficult to know for sure. You will need to enter in all of your information on their website to know if U-verse is available to you in your area.

• Alabama
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Wisconsin

Residents outside of these states will have to look at other TV service providers.

Competes with DIRECTV

AT&T owns both its U-verse TV offerings and DIRECTV. Since acquiring DIRECTV in 2015, the company has worked to make this its main TV service, steering customers to this choice. As a result, AT&T U-verse may decline or its services may be closed to usher more AT&T customers to DIRECTV. However, this has yet to happen, so perhaps AT&T will not fulfill this prediction.

The Bottom Line

AT&T's U-verse is reasonably priced for the number of channels customers can receive. The app is relatively intuitive and the interactive apps make for a comfortable and convenient entertainment experience. However, the TV provider is not available nationwide and it doesn’t seem to offer much for sports fans. Although monthly fees are standard throughout the industry, we recommend customers keep a close eye on their bill.

That being said, the company has advanced technology that allows your TV, internet, and home phone to be interactive with one another which makes utilizing these technologies more convenient. The television has a digitally clear picture and sound, the internet has capabilities of downloading speeds up to 45 Mbps, and the voice option comes with 20 different calling features.

Call our recommended rep over at AT&T U-verse below.

3.2

SA Croc Charlotte, NC

I recently relocated to a building where only AT&T U-verse is offered. Haven't had it long but I do not like it. My internet connection routinely drops and for someone who works from home fulltime this is absolutely unacceptable. I selected an upgraded package to ensure I wouldn't have issues. It's slow opening browser windows too often. I live alone so there are no other mobile devices connected including my cell phone. I have a package so I received two boxes or receivers. The one connected to my TV in the bedroom is always going down so I can't watch it. I don't have the time nor patience to keep calling customer service. I asked my leasing office if there were another provider to which I didn't receive a response which happens quite often too. I'll post a review about this property too on the appropriate site. At any rate, I do not and would not recommend AT&T cable/internet though it's more affordable than my previous provider. If you have no other choice as it seems I don't, I would consider moving someplace with other options & where AT&T isn't forced on you.

Diva Mother Fayetteville, GA

The service is always going down on the tv. The internet is not good at all!!!

Mike Hudson Birmingham, AL

I think that maybe this company is just too big and old to care. I've tried them twice, and got burned both times. Once many years ago at my business, and once more recently at my home. The customer service was terrible both times!

Frankie Cibolo, TX

Started using AT&T U-verse based on offers fromSales Manager. Signed up for 2-year plan, with 3 free premium channels for first year. Plan was to be guarenteed at $139,95 for 2 years, unless I decided to keep the premium channels . By the end of my contract, the rate had gone up to $209 a month.

TPat Cottage Grove, OR

I have used their services in the past, and was pleased and thought I would try them again. after speaking to several people, I kept saying that I wanted internet only! they had a tech come out and install equipment and it was only for TV and not Internet! I was irritated about this, and one supervisor in Idaho told me it was my fault for letting him install the equipment. after explaining numerous times the situation, they went ahead and cancelled the TV service and told me to keep the equipment.

Deanne Jones Grand Prairie, TX

The sales person was walking my neighborhood one evening and had a new employee shadowing him. RJ was the expert giving new employee the examples. Recently I have had issues with slow internet connectivity with Spectrum and had been interested is seeing what AT&T had to offer anyway so why not talk to them. I explained to RJ that AT&T had given me and many of my dental software client bad customer services and it was a great concern to me. RJ was great had an answer for everything. I did explain to him that I took great pride in the yard and my concerns about digging a line through my sod. Reassured me that AT&T had taken measures to create a better customer service experience. I signed up and set the date for the install. 1. They did not show or call to the set time I had to call them to find out where they were and the 3rd party dispatch agent responded that the install date had been rescheduled. NO ONE TOLD ME. 2. Intaller cut my tree down instead to trimming around it he cut the things down. I asked him why would he do that and his response was it's not my problem. I asked what are you going to do with the big limbs that now were stacked like a brush pile in the middle of my yard" he says " Not my problem". I promptly asked him to get off my property.

Sarah Rosencrans Portland, OR

I have a lot of cable companies and this was not one of my favorites not a lot of options Probably should have stuck with cell phones

Diana Miami, FL

Customer service is good but their cable service and internet and absolutely terrible. They claim it’s supposed to be smooth service with no buffing but everyday I found myself restating my modem. I cancelled after three months

Mr. Alvarado Dallas, TX

I am a new customer and I called customer service for the first time and I waited over 3 hours for service and then they stated that they had to send a tech. I was out of service for almost a week and there was no apology from the person. I am in a 2-year contract that I just started. I will cancel unless something changes my mind in those 2 years left in the contract.

Mariana Linares Charlotte, NC

The AT&T U-verse is overpriced and malfunctions multiple times. The channel options are not as diverse, and I have had to get on the phone with AT&T every other month to reset my service in order to get it working. I will say that customer service is very patient, and will work with you to resolve the problem.

Mark Stansell Boynton Beach, FL

ATT Uverse began with a lot of choices for channel set up and good reliability. Over time all of that diminished.

maria Robinson Pasadena, TX

They are not reliable in my opinion. They are not consistent in their fees. They are not too flexible in working with people. Fees will go up without warning.

Erin Herington Winnsboro, TX

Not good if there is a storm. The rate is high and we were always getting mistakes on our bill. It was horrible. It was a lot cheaper to get Amazon Prime and Fire Stick.

Cayla Koga Fremont, CA

Their service is spotty, and I often have wi-fi connection, but, there is no actual internet connection so I'm unable to browse or stream anything from the internet.

sharon denise lowe ,

i dont like anything they false advertise me and didnt give me the prices that was quoted to me

Valerie Conway La Porte, TX

Had for years- land line has been a nuisance for years despite techs coming out to eval and repair to no avail. Bundle pkg was the draw- mistake amen