Canva Logo
LAST UPDATED: March 17th, 2022

Canva is a graphic design platform that mimics what many people use the Adobe suite for, but Canva makes it easier and cheaper. People use Canva to make posters, fliers, social media posts, and even resumes. Canva provides hundreds of resume templates that you can adjust to your tastes, fill with your information, and download.

The Good

• Sleek and Attractive Designs
  • Customizable
  • Free Version

Sleek and Attractive Designs

Primarily a graphic design platform, Canva’s resume templates are modern, sleek, and eye-catching. When you use Canva, your resume will stand out in the stack. You don’t have to be a graphic designer to have a professionally designed resume. If you’re in a creative or artsy industry like marketing, communications, photography, design, architecture, or interior design, people will see your resume as an example of your creativity level.

Canva’s resume templates are grouped into the following categories to help you find the kind that you want:

• Modern
  • Infographic
  • Minimalist
  • Colorful

Customizable

Though pre-designed, Canva’s resume templates are customizable. You can change the font, colors, text size, and layout. You can come back and edit your resume as many times as you want. Canva allows you to download your resume as a PNG, PDF, JPEG, or GIF.

Free Version

If you don’t want to use Canva Pro (the paid version), you can design your resume completely for free.

The Bad

• Hard to Use
  • No Auto-Fill
  • Free Version Doesn’t Include Everything

Hard to Use

If you’ve never used Canva before, there’s a little bit of a learning curve. It can be hard to know what each button means and how to get your design to look exactly like you want. Sometimes the buttons seem finicky. Additionally, with so many template options it can be difficult to narrow down which one you want to use.

No Auto-Fill

Making a resume or CV on Canva is very DIY. You decide where in the design your information goes, you decide what to write, and you decide if the words sound good. Though an attractive design will help your resume stand out, it’s ultimately the words on the page that help land you the job. Other resume builders will guide you through the writing process, but Canva just helps with design.

Free Version Doesn’t Include Everything

Canva’s free version doesn’t include these tools and resources that Canva Pro does:

• Resizing documents
  • Saving with a transparent background
  • Saving a brand kit of colors and fonts
  • Animating your designs
  • Collaborating with others on projects
  • Accessing Canva’s large library of premium photos and graphics

Canva Pro costs $10 per month when billed annually.

The Bottom Line

Canva is the perfect tool for someone who values having an eye-catching resume that will stand out. A resume is one of the most important things you will ever design. Once you’re past the learning curve, Canva can help you create a beautiful resume in minutes. If you want help writing your resume or don’t want to figure out how to use Canva, this might not be the resume builder for you.

4.8

darcy sullivan Pensacola, FL

I have used Canva for my high school and college resume, and they have turned out great every time. I have had many compliments on how organized and pretty my resumes look! Canva has so many templates to use, and it is so simple and easy to navigate around the website.

Sadie Scoville Lehi, UT

Canva never fails to help me make a beautiful template for whatever the occasion is. The only bad thing I have to say is that it is a little bit confusing to use. I had to look up a tutorial of where I could find a blank template...other than that, I am a big fan of Canva and the way it has helped me.

Jaelyn Morris Havana, FL

I find canva very easy to use and they offer a lot of design options. Even though they have a subscription service, I find the free options work just fine to make a resume or flyer.

Brynlee Dalton Riverton, UT

I love Canva so much! It is such a great website! My favorite pass time is to sit at my computer and see all the amazing things it has to offer. There are so many different things to try! Canva is awesome, and I would definitely recommend it to a friend.

Victoria Hahn MN

I have built resumes for so many things using Canva! Their templates are professional and have is many varieties! I didn’t have time to make my own format and this made it so easy! Totally recommend!

Ella Carlson Herriman, UT

Canva is really easy to use and serves many purposes. It's great for building more than just resumes. It provides many fun templates and images to play with and create fun things.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Canva is great for building your resume. There are many templates and resources provided to you to really enhance your resume and other papers. Canva is always a go-to with any professional papers or presentations.

Vy Ha Tallahassee, FL

I like that I have asceses to the same kind of professional infographics as any other third party professional company out there. I like how easy it is to transfer information from my work into a more visually appealing space. The downloads easy to use and transfer as well

Saylor D Herriman, UT

Canva is so easy to use and helped me design some beautiful things! I love how many templates there are for inspiration. I've even designed a few stickers and T-shirts using Canva. My favorite feature is the element feature, because they already have designs made that I can implement.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

Canva is one of those websites that can almost do it all. I have not only used it for resume building but to design flyers, invitations, and even scrapbooks. Although I upgraded to premium, the free Canva features are pretty great and one can get many visually pleasing projects done with such. Additionally, it is easy to edit on Canva thanks to all the suggestions that pop up while you work on customizing something.

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

Canva is my favorite website to do graphic design on both my résumé. I’ve received so many compliments about the résumé that I’ve built using the canva website more specifically the résumé building templates. Over arching way I find the canvas easy to use and easy to help others use as well. I wish that Canva had a mobile app that worked a little more seamlessly than the one they currently have but other than that I find that the website really gets the job done!

Bianca Chipley, FL

Canvas has easy-to-use templates for any documents you need, my resume was so easy to make and personalize with the Canva app.

wyattpaige Tallahassee, FL

great functionality and versatility of the site, easier than any other platform i’ve used to build a resume. user friendly

luke dalton Riverton, UT

I like Canva because of their easy to use website. I love that there are so many options that you only have to insert a picture and some words and then you have a poster complete!

Brianna Sutherland Tallahassee, FL

I love using Canva to make vision boards and flyers as there are so any templates to choose from. For resumes, Canva adds an extra element that you cannot receive from using Microsoft Word or any other word applications. It definitely makes your resume more appealing and engaging to the eye..

Brooklyn Jensen Provo, UT

Canva makes it easy to create a professional-looking resume. While there is a paid version, the free version has so many great features and allows you to share your document with others if you want to do a resume review. I had a good experience with Canva because it allowed me to really make my resume look nice and professional.

Mona-Lissa Tallahassee, FL

I love Canva! It allows me to make my resume so easy and I love the different options they provide me with how I want to have it set up. It allows me to get creative with my resume compared to other Resume building platforms.

Alison Roush Jacksonville, FL

Canva made it easy to customize my resume beyond the black and white templates provided by my school.

Luke M Herriman, UT

Canva helped me design a resume really easily. All the different templates made it look really nice and unique so mine would standout.

Elena Pack West Jordan, UT

Canva is a good place to go if you need to write a resume. They have plenty of great temples to choose from. It helped me create my resume and get my job.

Morgan Tennant Shelley, ID

Canva is super easy to use! They have tutorials for beginners, and they even have refresher videos for more experienced users. Their outlines and guides are great and simple yet professional.

Nyla C. Tallahassee, FL

Canva has allowed me to tap into my creative pallet by allowing me to freshen up my professional resume. I have received a ton of compliments on how my resume looks and how clean it is.

Omara Obas Tallahassee, FL

canva is perfect for professional and academic resume building. I've also done a few class assignments using canva and they have turned out well. canva is also good for writing assignments, group presentations, and building your own CV.

Joy V Salt Lake City, UT

Canva makes it so easy to create beautiful graphic with very little effort. The only downside is that many of the templates and images are only accessible through Pro, but you can upload your own files.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

They have a lot of templates that you can use to make a resume, that was so helpful because I had never made a resume before, Canva made it super easy and it looks so professional, I've had several employers mention to me how well put together it is. I'm actually helping my daughter make hers on Canva later this week

Simone Harris Tallahassee, FL

Canva has a variety of tools and templates, which make the creation of products very easy no matter the skill level. While they do have a paid subscription plan, the free features are still very comprehensive.

Jade Knowles Tallahassee, FL

Canva is a great resource for individuals that are in school, apart of organizations and so much more. I’ve used canva to design flyers, posters, worksheets, my resume and much more. They have hundreds of models and templates for you to chose from.

abw fsu Tallahassee, FL

I love Canva. If you're looking for a website that allows you 100% creative freedom on your various projects, Canva is the one! They provides thousands of templates and content, ranging from regular posters to Instagram posts and YouTube videos. My organization on campus uses Canva all the time for our newsletters and flyers because the website is so user friendly. We use the Canva Free subscription, which has everything we need for free!

Jailene Torres Tallahassee, FL

Generally easy to use. So many options for fonts and templates even without the membership!

Brylee Roberts Riverton, UT

My sister first introduced me to canva and I have not been disappointed. Makes my resumes look very professional

Jacks Friend Riverton, UT

Love Canva and all the free templates they offer. I've used it to make so many invitations! Can't recommend them enough!

Kelly Stanley Orem, UT

Canva is so nice because it is so simple. I recently used it to make a resume and the process is so easy, anyone could do it! It also looks nice and professional.

Anne Sainsbury South Jordan, UT

I love working on Canva. I have built a number of digital pieces on this platform and all of them have been super easy to create with the tools provided. The templates are clean and professional and have been super helpful.

Kristin Fleming Tallahassee, FL

I love this app! I have made several presentations with it. The templates that you are able to choose from are so creative and perfect for any presentation. I love that you can also manipulate things a little to make the presentation your own!

Alyssa Hansel Tallahassee, FL

Canva is great for anyone who is looking to customize their own letters and flyers! They have a wonderful app that is super user-friendly! I definitely recommend this app for younger students in organizations, the perfect way to spice up your programming!

Bianca Jyotishi DeLand, FL

Seriously love Canva for all of my graphic design needs. Super easy to use and I can literally make anything. I redid my resume on here and it looks so much better now, way better than anything else I have ever used. My application to interview ratio has significantly gone up and in part I attribute that to my fresh resume!

Erin Farnsworth Pleasant Grove, UT

Canva has saved my life. I create my own content for two websites and a volunteer position. Creating is easy, fun, and you can better with time and practice. If you use as much as I do, I would recommend upgrading past the free version.

Angie Burnett Orem, UT

Canva is an amazing tool that allows you to create so much neat stuff. Pro tip, if you have a pro account you can upload your company photos, and fonts and build stuff right in the app. Which is perfect for people who aren't savvy with photoshop.

Kimmi Riverton, UT

I love how easy it is to use to create invitations, flyers and social media posts. I'm amazed at how much is offered at the free level. Everything I create comes out looking professional. I credit that to the ease of use and quality elements available to use.

Brielle Spencer Pleasant Grove, UT

Use this for school, work, and personal use! Great for creating and perfecting documents!

hminfo Olney, MD

I am glad that my team at work has Canva because they can now make flyers and other graphic design needs on their own without the need of professional graphic designers.

Olivia Hardy Olney, MD

Canva is great for school, company, and presentation projects. However, Canva was a little difficult to use at first. When we first started using Canva, it took me and the rest of my work team a few days to get a feel for how to navigate the website. Additionally, outside images and resources would turn out blurry when pasting on a Canva page. All in all, a little tricky to get the hang of, but with effort Canva can help create a great presentation.

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

Canva is a great place to build a resume. They offer templates for many different job types and industries. It is a helpful website when you don't have any design skill but still allows you to be creative.

Abby Ashby Provo, UT

I used canva to make my wedding invites and thank you cards. So easy to use and makes things look really nice. You can also pay for just specific features if you don’t want a subscription which I love.

Holly Brown Metairie, LA

Easiest way to build a resume and then proceed to get hired, have only gotten hired using resumes made by canva. easiest system to use when creating a visual for business of personal use

Silvia Lobendahn Orem, UT

I have been using Canva a lot more recently. It really is easy to use and produce quality content from their many template ideas. I's love to see a better free picture selection, but otherwise like the using Canva for all my design needs.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

Canva is a super easy site to use, and I love the templates for resumes on here. It helps you stand out from other resumes. Creative or simple, whichever vibe you're going for.

Amanda Purpura Gibsonia, PA

I've used the free version of this app and it is awesome! It is pretty cool how many tools and templates they give you access to at no charge. I've created logos, invites, brochures, social media posts - so much!

Katherine Whyte Miami, FL

Canva is a free and easy to use website/app for poster making and creating invitations online. There are cute layouts and extras that you can purchase but most of this site can be used without paying,

Rilynne Edwards Pleasant Grove, UT

I use Canva all the time. The site is very easy to use, and gives you a guide to help navigate. My resumes always look professional when I use Canva. It's high quality, and worth it to pay for Canvas Pro.