Thrifty Logo

6.2

LAST UPDATED: November 15th, 2021
Thrifty is one of the largest car rental brands in the world that serves both cost-conscious business and leisure travelers. Thrifty's parent company, Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group, was acquired by Hertz Global Holdings, Inc. in 2012, currently operating in more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries.

Hertz Logo
#2 Hertz chevron_right
4.0
Sixt Rent A Car Logo
#3 Sixt Rent A Car chevron_right
1.4
star star_half star_border star_border star_border

The Good

• Competitive pricing
  • Available in 46 states
  • Online check-in

Economy Price Range

Thrifty's economy cars are priced low in the car rental industry. We found that, with Thrifty, car rental prices were contingent upon location and the type of car procured. Thrifty does a unique price-matching program, where they will honor lower rental rates and give you a ten percent discount.

Luxury Price Range

Thrifty also rents luxury vehicles, the rental price is average in the industry. For customers who would like to rent luxury cars, Thrifty may be a great option with the high availability and the

States Available

Thrifty can be found in 46/50 states. This almost covers every state-a huge advantage over the average car rental company who covers only a fraction of that. It also benefits travelers and local residents who are in these places or are traveling to these places.

Airports Locations

Thrifty has rental counters at most major airports throughout the United States and Canada. This makes renting cars for travelers more convenient and easy.

Online Check-In

Thrifty has online check-in, allowing you to check in before you show up. Customers are required to provide a few pieces of information, including license number, date of birth, and a few pieces of information about driving records. While rental counters can have slow lines and long waits, checking in online speeds up the process and gets customers driving away in their vehicle more quickly.

The Bad

• Roadside assistance availability
  • No instant return
  • No on-site fuel discount

Roadside Assistance

Thrifty offers what they call Protection Packages, which offer 24 hours a day Premium Roadside Assistance Service. These packages, although good, are only available at U.S. Corporate Locations and at participating licensee locations. You have to ask the rental counter for the availability of any of the packages. Thrifty sets it up so that if you want one of the following protection packages you add it to your online reservation and get more information about the package (i.e. price) when you pick up your vehicle. This is not a good option because you should be informed of how much these packages cost before you get there in person to rent the car. Other companies charge an additional fee for roadside assistance as a separate item without having to buy a whole package that you may not be able to afford.

Instant Return

With Thrifty, vehicles must be returned to the rental counter. This is standard operating procedure with most rental companies. Instant return can be a very convenient feature that some companies offer which allows the customer to leave the keys in the car and leave.

On-Site Fuel Discount

There is no on-site fuel discount with Thrifty. They do have a prepaid fuel option. When you return the car with an empty tank, you pay the amount to fill it up, multiplied by the manufacturer's gallon-per-tank capacity. It would make it more advantageous if an on-site fueling discount was offered to help offset traveling expenses.

The Bottom Line

Thrifty has a high availability and has a presence in 46 states. Thrifty also offers competitive economy prices, and a decent amount of variety in their vehicles. For very frequent travelers, they will receive a free rental day for every sixteen they pay for-a great perk for customer loyalty. Because of these factors, we recommend considering Thrifty for your car rental needs.

3.6

Brooke Z Cleveland, OH

My flight was delayed. I was unable to pick the car up until the second day into the rental, due to my flight being delayed. When my plane landed at my destination on the first day of the reservation,the car rental facility was closed, which caused me to not be able to pick the car up until the second day.I contacted customer service in regards to being credited for the day we DID NOT have the car and I was refused my request. This is terrible customer service. I was penalized for a situation that was out of my control and in not so many words told, "too bad, deal with it". In the future I will take my business elsewhere.

Dave Spokane, WA

Thrifty is my first choice for rental car companies. With their Blue Chip program, check in and check out is a breeze. Online reservations are easy and convenient, and I have the flexibility to cancel if my plans change. Prices are always competitive. One time I got an erroneous charge to my account a week or two after the rental so I called customer service and they took care of me.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Thrifty car rentals have always helped us save money. They offer a good selection of cars and availability is pretty good. But their best attribute is economic value. You get the most out of your dollar by reserving rentals through Thrifty. I have always been satisfied with their attentive service.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

When saving money is the priority, Thrifty car rentals have always come through. With affordable options, great late model cars, they meet my needs when saving money is important. Their customer service is excellent as well.

T. Dorsz Frederick, MD

I rented a car through one of Thrify's resellers. I prepaid to get a better rate. I turned the car in early because of all the shutdowns of National Parks. Thrifty will not adjust my cost. They are completely unflexible during the CORVID-19 national emergency. They would not adjust the transportation fees, or remove any of the days that I did not rent the car. I went from renting 41 days down to 21. The only thing they adjusted were the number of days for insurance. One of their offices said they were waiving transportation fees. They did not. They said they could adjust the contract type but that it would be more expensive since my daily rate would go up. This was a very expensive lesson for me. BEWARE the consequences of pre-payment options and using Thrifty's resellers. This was my first time renting through them. It's my last.

Chris Sulphur, LA

PRICE GOUGING AT IT'S BEST! I called Thrifty to rent a Large SUV from the Denver Airport about a month ago for my 5 day trip to visit my daughter in Keystone, Co. from 2/21/20-2/26/20. I was told that Thrifty could not guarantee an AWD or 4WD, so I decided to rent a Minivan since it would be guaranteed front wheel drive. The price was $204 and with taxes and fees was $283.50. Upon arriving at the Denver Airport Thrifty location I had to wait 45 minutes in line before actually getting to the counter. At the counter I was presented a piece of paper basically stating that I needed an AWD/4WD or could be ticked or possibly wouldn't make it back to the airport. There were only two vehicles that would work because of the amount of people and luggage we had one was a pickup truck or a large suv. I asked what the cost difference was, well the cost for the truck was $120 more per day or my other option was $200 more per day. I could not believe this and I asked to talk to manager. Still in disbelief of the price in which I was told that's the price I asked the manager about being a blue chip member, veteran or I had an email with one day free from Thrifty and was ignored by the manager and said that's it either you want the vehicle or we need to start waiting on other customers, again the line is almost out the door so I took it. We get to the truck it's an extended cab not even a crew cab no running boards nothing. Thinking I was stuck we take the truck at a total cost of $1040 so 5 times the price of my Minivan. I call Thrifty customer service the following day and they agree I'm being way overcharged but get this there's nothing they can do only tell me to drive back to Denver which is approximately an 1.5 hr drive away turn the truck in, call reservations and make a new reservation. I requested a supervisor call me back gave my number and have never gotten the call back. I've rented from Thrifty multiple times I've never been treated like this and am very disappointed in customer service obviously they don't care because I know I'm only one person and they're a multi-billion dollar company. My reason for writing this is hopefully this doesn't happen to you. Member Number: 0724928515 Reservation: J30307376D9

Greg Hanold Batesville, MS

The counter in Fort Wayne Airport for Thrifty / Hertz is very unreliable and dishonest. Horrible Customer Service and fails to follow through. It now has been close to 2 months and still no contact from Thrifty. I was told 7 different times I would be receiving calls. 3 of those calls were to be from Area Managers to resolve the issue. No one has ever contacted me. I initially spoke with Dan at the Fort Wayne Airport and he was the one who told me he would investigate and get back to me. NEVER HAPPENED. DAN, YOU NEVER CALLED BACK!!! Thrifty's crappy customer service informed me Thrifty wasn't responsible for lost items... I told her the item wasn't lost... it was stolen by a Thrifty employee in Fort Wayne... No surprise, there was no response.

Doyal Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

I used Thrifty while visiting southern Oregon a few years ago. The car wasn't great, and was a bit dirty. The service was a little slow, but we did appreciate that they picked us up from our hotel room. We ended up driving the car back to Utah and dropped it off at a local Thrifty. It wasn't the best price wise, but it was convenient.

James Milton

If you rent from this company BEWARE. The person behind the counter will do everything they can to get all the extra crap all for fee's. Also you better READ the contract. I refused all the options except for the GPS which was $11.95/per day. At the end of the spiel she had me initial and sign the contract. OK, no problem until I got the bill! Turns out all that initialing was all of the options! So I ended up paying more than double the rental. I called them and they said tough luck, you signed it, It's your baby. I trusted the lady at the counter and told her verbally what did and didn't want before signing. What a fool I was for trusting them. WATCH OUT!

Jodianna Altamonte Springs, FL

I was able to get a great car but unfortunately I ended up paying way more than what I was told up front. Other than that the process of getting an returning the rental car was fairly easy and I enjoyed that.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

I use Thrifty when I travel and they have the best rate. I alway compare rates on mass car rental sites. I have found their cars to be of good quality and condition. They do not always have the best rate and so make sure you shop around.

Mike Salt Lake City, UT

Thrifty is a great rental car company. I've used thrifty for many years. They tend to have better prices then the rest of the crowd. I would highly recommend.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

I have only ever rented from Thrifty once. They were a good company and the rental experience was like most other. I typically don't book the because they are priced higher than most of the other companies for the same product.

Kristin G Pleasant Grove, UT

Thrifty.com is a great website and finding your rental car needs. If you arrive at your Destiination in the big city they’re usually is plenty of cars to choose from I would recommend this if you want to go with the cheaper route in the car rental .

Kurt Lucas Olney, MD

Thrifty - Rental Cars is the best for renting an economy car. They have plenty to choose from with great mpg for long trips.

Hailey Burt Eagle Mountain, UT

I used thrifty on my last trip to Detroit, and it was pretty great. The car rental was cheap and efficient, just a few extra fees they didn’t tell us about beforehand.

Jen Burt Herriman, UT

We received a nice car when we rented from Thrifty but I was not happy when we were at the Orlando airport that it was the furthest away rental agency. It was an extremely long walk to the checkout and then to the car

Tara Hammond Draper, UT

Thrifty has great prices on rental cars compared to the other big box brands. We've always had clean, well maintained cars. Early morning rentals can be a little difficult at times though.

PessoaJ Herriman, UT

Thrifty was great on our last trip. The wait for the shuttle was a little longer than anticipated but once we arrived at the company they were friendly and helpful!

Tom Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

Thrifty prices are very reasonable but their selection of vehicles isn't as varied as other rental companies. Their customer service is acceptable but nothing outstanding. Some of their locations aren't as handy as other companies. If cost is the driving factor in the decision, Thrifty should be considered.

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

We had to wait a little bit to get the car which is always a pain. But they were super friendly when they dealt with us. The car was good and clean and smelled fine. It drove great for our trip and he drop off was simple.

Joanna Hester Gilbert, AZ

I recently rented a car from the SLC airport. My only complaint was that the line was very long and I ended up waiting about 30 minutes to get my car. They have such good deals that they were busy, but they should have been more prepared for the amount of people needing to pick up their cars that day.

Jackie Spokane, WA

As a Thrifty Blue Chip member, we appreciate the ease of picking up/dropping off our rental car.

Nell Damascus, MD

I rented a car with thrifty it was reliable and nothing noteworthy. I believe everything worked out fine

Van M. Orem, UT

They were economical but overall the experience was good. No problems. The main reason I went with them is because of their price.

Carol Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Thrifty is definitely for the thrifty renter. They offer some of the lowest prices on rental cars and convenient locations.

Cam McClellan Magna, UT

Thrifty has been a pretty good rental car company. Sometimes their selection is a lot smaller but their prices are normally cheaper than some of the bigger names.

James Larson Pleasant Grove, UT

Thrifty is what it says... always a good bargain. They aren't at every airport, but wherever I find them, they always seem to offer the best deals.

A E B Damascus, MD

Thrifty staff are great, friendly and helpful. They always try and help as much as they can

David Glauser Salt Lake City, UT

Rented a car in Mexico. Got to the counter and they tried to charge us over eight times what the online reservation amount was.

Steve Knight Salt Lake City, UT

I use this website for booking rental cars and find that the y often have good rates and availability.

Tagg Ogden, UT

Thrifty has really good prices. Normally, their inventory and service is good, but I have had some cars that had some decent scratches on them.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

On a recent trip, we got a Thrifty car rental. Our car was clean and we got a good price. I would use them again.

Tony Riverton, UT

I've used Thrifty both times as a result of online searching for the best deal. Cars were great and rates were the lowest I could find at the time.

CoachTrista Saratoga Springs, UT

The rates are typically good through Thrifty but there customer service has been difficult to work with there there have been billing issues.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

Thrifty's reservation process is always easy and pickup and drop off is always easy-going as well.

Larson Riverton, UT

Thrifty has been very dependable for me. They work well with the customers.

Don Boren American Fork, UT

Good car for a good price. The online reservation process is convenient and easy.

David T Ogden, UT

Although their prices are lower, thrifty didn't have many cars to choose from and they were dirty on the inside.

Todd Homitz Evans City, PA

Great choice of cars at a reasonable price. Great customer service as well.