Sixt Rent A Car Logo

Sixt Rent A Car

7.7

LAST UPDATED: December 7th, 2021

SIXT started out with three locations and grew into an international company with locations throughout the United States. Currently, the company is present in 105 countries across the globe with over 2,000 branch locations. SIXT purchases more than 200,000 vehicles annually and owns the world's largest fleet of premium German cars.

The Good

• Vehicle Types
  • Price Range
  • Toll Prepay Option
  • Online Check-In

Vehicle Types

The SIXT vehicle fleet hosts models from German favorites like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi. Vehicle types include:

• Convertibles
  • Luxury cars
  • Minivans
  • SUVs
  • Passenger vans

Price Range

SIXT offers vehicles ranging in average prices in the car rental industry. While the prices are not necessarily low, SIXT's car selection is of a higher quality than many economy budget car rentals. The car make and models are newer and more modern so if that is important to you then the average cost is more than worth paying. Regardless of the price listed for a car, though, SIXT boasts a Best Price Guarantee.

Toll Prepay Option

A very convenient feature is the ability to order toll passes through the company's website. Having a toll pass makes your commute easier when you travel. This comes as part of the online check-in.

Online Check-In

You can check in your car from SIXT's website instead of the rental counter using one of two options: the online check-in portal via the website or the on-site terminal. After you sign in and check in with your reservation number, you go to SIXT's express counter and swap your signature for the car keys. For the terminal option, follow these steps:

1. Insert your Sixt Express Card or credit card into the terminal.
  2. The terminal detects your card automatically and shows you the reservation. You also have the option of booking extras at this point, such as winter tires.
  3. Select your car out of three vehicle options.
  4. Confirm the booking details and print your rental agreement.
  5. Open the safe and take the vehicle keys.

This makes checking in easy and fast and eliminates the issue of long lines that you get with other car rental companies.

The Bad

• Limited U.S. Availability
  • No Instant Return
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

Limited U.S. Availability

SIXT has rental car locations in 15 states, so your options are limited in the United States. Sixt has rental counters at some major airports throughout North America, but not as many as some competitors. For instance, most rental companies have counters at JFK, LaGuardia, or Newark airports in the New York City area and SIXT does not. On the plus side, SIXT is worldwide, so it is likely to cover your international travel needs.

No Instant Return

SIXT lacks an instant return option where you can leave the car with the keys inside. You must return the vehicle to a rental office (or other identified location) on the date and time specified in your rental agreement.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

SIXT does not offer discounts for fueling your vehicle on-site. If a customer returns the car low on gas, SIXT charges a $50 fee.

The Bottom Line

If you're itching to try out a new or luxury car, look no further than SIXT. With quick check-in, no hidden costs, and free cancellation, SIXT is all about convenience. However, the company is not readily available throughout North America, especially in smaller states and cities.

1.4

Edgar Cooper Naples, FL

Dan and Morgan at RSW provided great customer service helping us with a replacement vehicle after we lost our car keys. They were very professional and couldn't have been nicer!

Marco Castro Phoenix, AZ

Customer care took care of a cancellation we had and after some discussion refunded us the full amount. We need more companies like this I will be back for future rentals. DrC

Robert Jones Brooklyn, NY

Sixt always goes above and beyond to accommodate me with my car rental needs, this is the second time they upgraded my car without changing me anything extra, I’ve been renting cars from sixt for a few years now and i love doing business with them, will definitely continue to use sixt rental A+++++

Tatiana Lazareva Limassol, 02

Sixt/Get your car/Fizzler counter at Paphos airport Worth rental experience of car rental at Cyprus and at all other coumtries.I haven't credit car but I was ready to place deposit or make payment and than the refund. I booked the small car through QEEQ and it was fully prepaid. Usially the amount of deposit is less than 1K EUR for compact car. The servicer offered me to get a full insurance with the price which was compared for 2 weeks rental and no other compromises. I asked your surname and name for the complaint and also asked to contact with manager of the counter. After calling the aggregator I was ready to pay the full insurance for small car, but she told that they didn't provide the car without credit card because I wanted to comliant. It was so unusial to met so unfriendly staff at rental car companies . As a result I rented car at the neithbour counter and got only positive emotions and excellent service. I spent about one hour for get a car and I hope that the aggregator refund me full payment because It wasn't provided. I rented at Sixt in London, New York and other cities but never have such problems with the debit card and so unfriendly service

Brian Bauer Buda, TX

Hi all, most of you that know me well, know that I never do this...but in our recent visit to Phoenix, we rented a car from Sixt, and we'll...I would like to share my experience in order to spare the rest of you: What started out as what could have been my best rental experience ever, unfortunately ended up being my worst! Checked in and got a "free" upgrade. Went to get in the car and noticed some mild damage on rear bumper and the facia missing from one of the vents, but otherwise all seemed nice.. didn't think to go as far as inspecting for chips in the windshield and photographing them! There was no attendant around to walk around with it even discuss the things noted. Went ahead and left in the car. Enjoyed the vehicle for 2 nights and returned it....in a massive line of cars early in the morning. Of course, again there was no attendant around. Didn't dare to leave the keys in the car, so looked for an attendant or drop box. Found a drop box at the front of all the cars and went ahead and dropped the key in and headed inside to get to our flights. After returning home, I received a notice from Sixt that they were charging me for damage done to the car i.e. chips in the windshield. Nothing ever hit the window while I had the car. Then a couple days later, I received another notice: they were claiming I lost the key. Then finally a bill...$225.60 of which most of was for "loss of use." Assuming they didn't think to look in the KEY DROP BOX for the key! Absolutely rediculous. I will never again rent from them. Beware!!!!!

Naomi Jacksonville, FL

They have the best customer service! I always use this company when it comes to events when I don’t want to use my own car. The car is always clean and I never had a bad incident.

Aiyana Brown Tallahassee, FL

The last car I rented was from Sixt during a trip to Atlanta and besides the fact that the wait to get the car was super long, the process of getting the car went very smooth and was very easy. The car received had a few dents and dings before we got it, but we reported them to the company and they took note of them so that we weren’t charged for them afterwards. Overall a very nice company and very easy to work with

leopoldo cevallos New York, NY

Just got the car back to the rent car, Jose the driver was very profesional and helpful, for sure next time will comeback

Maria Fraser Calgary, AB

OMG!!!? I just read the horrible reviews about this company, I wish I had read them sooner, we rented a car in LOS ANGELES thinking the pick up was at the airport. We realized 6 days before pick up that we would have to take an Uber to go pick up the car so we canceled online. They kept 100$ American, For what? No other car rental company has ever done this to us. These guys are thieves.

sharlene P New York, NY

We were robbed (gun pointed at us) at Sixt car rental yet we have not received any clarification nor updates from Sixt to show that they take responsibilities for what happened to their customers at their area. We have been a long-time Sixt customer for years now. This month (October 2021) we rented a BMW X7 in Los Angeles and drove to San Francisco. As always, we would return the car at SFO; but this time the CS rep we talked to said we must return the car at Sixt Car Rental at Mission District, which is known to have the highest crime rate. We arrived around 4:30pm, parked at the lot right beside the entrance door and got off our car, when a dark silver sedan car stopped in the middle of the street, right in front of the entrance gate. 2 young “black” men in grey hoodies and black vest ran out to us and pointed guns on our heads. There were 3 of us — me, my mom, and my dad. My mom was in the car, my dad opening the trunk when they approached him, while I just got off the right back door of the car. With two guns pointed at him, my dad calmly handed his expensive watch, and the second guy turned to me with his gun, demanding for my little backpack. Thank God, the car behind their car honked (since they were blocking the road) and the two guys dashed back into their car & ran away. More than 6 people (who were inside the car rental) witnessed what happened and the police came soon after. After everyone got questioned and we got our case number, the Sixt branch manager finally said we can return our car at the airport (SFO) since the car needs to go there anyway … Excuse me? Now you say we can ? As a 24 y.o., I am traumatized by what happened and very disappointed with how Sixt handles this matter. 1) Knowing the area’s high crime rate and the frequent robbery that has been happening, why was there not a single security guard or even man at the store? 2) Why make us go to Mission District to return the car, just to allow us to return at the airport later on? 3) Sixt has given us zero updates nor contacted us — do we have to sue Sixt for them to take responsibility of what happened under their jurisdiction?

Daione S Milbourne Orlando, FL

Terrible customer service they basically took my money though the app and didn't return it almost causing my account to freeze currently going through claim situation

1 day ago

Mark San Diego, CA

This company is a scam. When weather changed a flight the company wanted to charge $200 fee to change or give credit for one year. I opted for credit. I received an email with confirmation and "Security Code". The email states a year to use the credit. Two months later I tried to make a reservation and the computer gave me an error. When I tried to call it played a COVID unavailable message. I send emails to service unreturned. I finally called new reservations and the guy on the phone said my reservation was a now show and hung up the phone on me. This company is a complete sham. DO NOT USE!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!

Maria del Mar Fierros Huixquilucan, MEX

I rented a car from sixt at the San Antonio Airport, returned it 4 days after and I never got my deposit back, I made the claim through their deficient customer service and never got either a response or my money back. On July still nothing and one day I wake up with the news that they made a temporary hold of my funds for 590 USD, my bank prevented the fraudulent charge, and now on September, they've effectively charged me again for another $590, made a temporary hold of my funds for another $590!!!! This matter will be at my lawyers desk in the morning, please beware who you're dealing with, you've been warned....

Jewdyer Osborne Brooklyn, NY

Rented a car from this agency and was quoted a price for the rental. I receive the bill and see that it is much more than I was quoted. I called sixth on numerous occasions to be promised calls and emails back from customer service. The correspondence from them never happened. At this point this shady rental company can have the money they stole. Ill.never use thos crappy company ever again and I will make sure that I alert all of my friends to leave this company alone. It's pretty bad when an employee in their corporate office tells me that there are only 2 people in their customer service department and that it takes weeks to get back to a customer.

Alison Van Horn Washington, DC

Sixt is a total scam. It makes its money by cheating customers in every possible way. Do not ever give them your credit card number because they will charge hundreds of dollars in exchange for nothing and claim it is their policy. Sixt should be shut down.

Boris Shapiro Greentown, PA

I rented a car in Portugal. 1st car had a broken bumper. By the time they replaced it, I was out of time for inspection. I bought a full coverage insurance from SIXT website. On the day of return SIXT employee created a fake checklist of damages to defraud insurance company. Now I have to process a claim for the fake reports

Cynthia Louise Adkins Checotah, OK

They expect people with COVID-19 to travel, potentially infecting others, to pickup rental vehicles they pre-paid for or to pay their standard cancellation fee. While that might be legal, it is extremely unethical. If you do not like doing business with morally bankrupt companies, stay far away from them.

Tara Sottong Hayward, CA

Don’t make the same mistake I did. I paid up front. When I had to cancel my reservation 3 weeks in advance, they kept $100. Had I made the reservation and not paid, I wouldn’t have had no penalty. They are very shady. I can’t get anyone on the phone and the emails that I received don’t have a person’s name just “customer service” There are too many choices for car rentals to have to deal with this. Scroll past these people.

David Yu Berlin, BE

Sixt KNOWINGLY rented me a faulty car!! I had previously left a 5-star review, but when things go wrong, you get nothing from Sixt customer service. Here's what happened: I rented a car to pick up my partner from Poland at the end of summer vacation. I did the standard check of the car to make sure there are no problems. On my drive I found that the previous driver dropped his wallet in the car and was able to connect to the previous driver to plan to return his wallet once I return to Berlin. When I got to Poland and the first time my partner sat in the passenger seat, we learned that the extremely loud seat belt alarm would go off even when the seat belt is fastened. This meant the passenger seat is useless and it's not something I could possibly have learned from inspecting the car when I picked it up, because the car would have to be moving for the alarm to go off. I contacted Sixt right away. No response. This meant my partner had to sit uncomfortably in the back and we couldn't bring back all the luggage and had to leave some at the parents'. The worst thing is, the previous driver who dropped his wallet returned the car within 5 minutes of renting this car because of this problem, and probably no more than 30 minutes before I picked up the car, so Sixt KNEW full well this was a faulty car and didn't inform me that I was picking up a faulty car. I contacted customer service again after returning the car, but have gotten no reply. I will unfortunately have to take it up with my credit card company. Really disappointed with the dishonesty and the lack of customer support.

Nick Nashville, TN

FRAUDULENT Business practices!!! Terrible experience with Sixt. I pre-booked a BMW X3 in Minneapolis through a 3rd party booking site for $964. Upon arriving at the airport Sixt’s estimated price was nearly $300 under the voucher paid amount so they immediately try to give me a much more expensive vehicle to match the voucher and avoid a refund. The shady salesman antic isn’t what triggered me to write this review though. After renting the X3 and returning it unharmed I received a rental receipt that included the rental amount and tax breakdowns. This came in around $833 total. Cool, so I’ll get a refund right because this is less then the prepaid amount? RIGHT!?? No. A week later I get the final invoice through email for over $1000. The rental amount was the same as the original rental receipt but in place of the original tax bill, the invoice had a line item titled “Voucher Differnz” for nearly the exact amount of tax value that was listed on the previous rental receipt. Then they totaled the Rental Amount and the “Voucher Differnz” line item to $833 and charged taxes again off the “new” subtotal. You can’t call them because they’ve used Covid as an excuse to disable their phone system. I sent 5 emails to the advised customer support email address. This morning I finally get a response back and this is the email word for word. “ Please accept our apology for the delay in response. All prices are net prices. State, federal and local taxes apply to all rentals. *Local renters are defined as renters who pick up a rental vehicle in the state of their residence as identified by the address on their driver's license. Thank you for your understanding and we hope you have a great day.” Clearly someone read my emails and took the time to investigate the matter. Great customer service Sixt, I especially enjoyed the fun inapplicable definition of a local renter and the restatement that taxes are charged on rentals. Really great insight. I look forward to next month’s reply with equal excitement that you won’t own your mistake and provide another thrilling, useless tidbit. “All rentals are subject to rental charges.” My only current recourse is to dispute the difference charged to my credit card of ~$50 and complain to the 3rd party booking site for hosting such a fraudulent company. I’d love to see an internal breakout of Sixt’s income statement, specially income from “Voucher Differnz”.

Allison Hubbard Tempe, AZ

I went on a trip to Nice, France. While there I rented a car from Sixt Rent A Car located at the Nice Airport. I prepaid $574 to have the car for 48 hours. The contract has 500 km included and additional km are charged at around $1.50/km. Two days after I returned the car (on time) I received an invoice for $13,919.59 stating I drove a total of 5,865 km. For my Americans that's 3,644 miles. Driving from California to Florida is only 2,706.4 miles. We'd have to drive 75 mph with no breaks for the entire 48 hour rental period to even accomplish that distance. We'd have to drive the entire border of France 1 and a 1/2 times. My wife emailed twice when the charge was pending on our account. Once the charge posted I called their corporate line and was told their customer service phone line was down and to email. I sent an email as directed. We've received no response to any emails. I had to dispute with my credit card company.

Doug N Urbandale, IA

One star is too good for Sixt. Bait and switch. At the Nuremburg site, I had a Audi car reserved at a good price through a third party. Get there and they give me a run around. The AUdi came back damaged, you can have this slightly smaller one. Oh no, that one isn't available. I have on left - it is even smaller. We will give you a discounted price. But you didn't have 1 way drop priced in. Bill is $400 on top of the price I paid for the rental. I did have the one way paid for, but they keep you spinning by changing cars and asking you questions and then you pay for it. This my first and very last time I will used SixT. Maybe a good price to start, but beware, they will take you to the cleaners if they get the chance.

sara m San Francisco, CA

This company is really awful. They claim I scratched two separate rentals (which didn't happen), and I ended up paying an extra $1700 ! I rent cars all the time and have never had a bad experience with another company. I'm writing a review, maybe for the first time ever because of having such a terrible experience. I rented cars from Sixt twice in the last year and both times they claimed I scratched the car and charged me for it. It was basically my word against theirs and I had no choice but to pay it. The first time I thought maybe it did get scratched and I just didn't realize it, but on the second one I realized this is a total scam! I seriously can't believe what a rip-off this was. So disappointing. So expensive.

S. Smith Tampa, FL

Great costumer service, friendly and helpful gentleman. Helped to solve problems. For example, Upgraded me for free with a navigation (GPS) option that I realized then that I needed and did not have in the previous booked car.

Sam Waterston Chicago, IL

Rented a car in Boston at Logan. Accidentally left my wallet on the passenger seat. Remembered about 10 minutes later, but an employee had already stolen it. Wouldn’t rent from this company again if my life depended on it.

Michael Jaffe Delray Beach, FL

Rented a Toyota Yaris at Ben-Gurion Airport (TLV) in Tel Aviv for two weeks, arranged through Expedia. The handover was smooth and quick, even during prime tourist season. The staff was extremely friendly and efficient. The vehicle had 1400 km on it, so it was practically new and in pristine condition. No issues with the car. Car return was also quick, very friendly staff. A year earlier, I had used SixT at Reykjavik, and the pickup experience was not nearly as good. There seem to be a number of factors influencing the experience, but, for the most part, SixT seems to be a good discount option.

Maureen E. Serge

I was so surprised to see the negative reviews for Sixt. I have been renting cars from Sixt for approximately 2 years and have never had a problem, and the customer service was fantastic. Besides their prices being the best in town, I always receive fast courtesy service from the counter people. Granted, I only rent when I am in Las Vegas, but I am there 3 or 4 times a year and use Sixt all the time. I tried the rest of the car rentals and they are expensive and never had the car that I originally reserved. BRAVO to Sixt. To all the new customers, don't be swayed by someone else's negativity.

Daniela Wesley Chapel, FL

Sixt in Europe is a legal scam. DO NOT RENT a car from this company for any reason. You will be charged mystery amounts with zero explanation. You will not be able to cancel or even ADD DAYS to your booking without them taking full advantage of you. This is sadly an incredibly shady and deceitful company. Spend your money somewhere else.

Aric Dershem Grand Rapids, MI

We rented from SiXT in Geneva Switzerland. The car was in good working order, but during checkout, we were offered additional insurance to cover any damages. We chose the additional insurance for 500 CHF. During our trip, we were forced to the side of a narrow mountain road by an oncoming truck and rubbed against a fence post - creating a 1.5cm scratch on the front bumper. Upon returning the car, we were charged 1500 CHF additional for repairs. I will never use SiXT again after my experience and would not recommend that you do either.

Dani Grooms Morrow, GA

This company needs to reevaluate there refund process!!!! I booked a prepaid rental online. When I got there NO cars were AVAILABLE so of course my refund should have been automatic due to no fault of my own. It has been nothing short a hassle to have my money refunded back. the process is too long and inconvenient. If you request a refund it has to go through some type of investigation which takes 3-5 days then it takes up to 10 days for the refund to be refunded to your actual card. This a unnecessarily lengthy process. It should not be this difficult I'm very disappointed.

Donna Simms Masterson Louisville, KY

Renters beware of accepting a car with prior damages. Even though the so called receipt the agent gives you list the known damages of the vehicle, they will still want you to pay for damages when the car is returned and the receiving crew assesses the car, without your presence. I went back to the agent when I saw the damages and he assured me the receipt listed the damages and all was good, so I took the car against my better judgement. I trusted them. What a stupid thing to do! Their process is to turn the car in without a returning walk through so you can show that the damages were previously done with our receipt listing them. The company does not look into the vehicle history to assess who did the damages they just send you a bill. Don't accept these cars and rely on a receipt to not hold you accountable. Terrible process for the customer!!

Stephen Nelson Nashville, TN

Beware of Fraudulent Damage Claims and Questionable Business Practices I rented a BMW from Sixt at Orlando International Airport in November 2020. The car was not clean. I removed trash. I returned it better than I received it and turned it over to the representative who indicated there was nothing to do and I departed. Several weeks later, I received an email message falsely accusing me of damaging the vehicle. There was no new damage to the car when I returned it. I disputed the claim hoping they had merely made a mistake. However, despite multiple communications with Sixt, the issue has yet to be resolved and they have not dropped the false claim. Note that Better Business Bureau has recorded 834 complaints against Sixt in the past three years. Note also, Sixt is not BBB accredited. An Internet search yields results of numerous lawsuits against Sixt and numerous unfavorable reviews. If they were willing to properly investigate and resolve the matter satisfactorily, I would give a favorable review. However, their integrity is in question and I now know they cannot be trusted.

Ace Theriot Phillipsburg, NJ

I rented a car with Sixt in Dominican Republic at Santo Domingo (Boca Chica) Airport Location. I, and others in line, felt pressured into purchasing their insurance at a rate much more than that was shown online. If you don’t get their insurance, they take a $2K deposit on your credit card. Their middle insurance on a seven day rental was $300 USD. The car was $250. On the fifth day of my trip, while traveling through Santiago, a driver slammed into the side of my vehicle making it immobile. I called Sixt via the number on their document and was told they would send a vehicle to pick us up. The vehicle never came forcing me to get a hotel room. The next day, the same thing happened; this time I was told we would have to ride in the tow truck back to Santo Domingo (not where I was staying). I told them I wasn’t staying there and was told there was an exchange vehicle coming. The vehicle never arrived. The next day, I found out how to take a bus to where I was staying as I had been waiting for two days in the same clothing and I had missed my flight home. I contacted their Corporate Via their website, but they never reached out. It’s been nearly three weeks now. Two weeks after the accident, Sixt called and asked me to bring the keys back to Santo Domingo. I told them I would not. I ended up leaving them with an agent at another of their Sixt counters and had them sign for them. This Sixt location is shady! I paid for their expensive insurance and they left me stranded. They tried to lie via email saying I refused the exchange car. I asked why do I still have your keys if that’s the case? Why did I have to get a hotel in a place I was unfamiliar with for two nights? Why would I catch a local bus for six hours to get back to my hotel, which I didn’t stay in for two nights. They then charged me for damage to the tires and side mirror as this apparently isn’t included in their insurance. Fortunately for me my Credit Card Insurance covered it. Stay away at all costs!!!

Mahria Beachnau Farmington, MI

BEWARE!!! Go somewhere else to rent your car, ANYWHERE else!!! They not only have hidden fees but also charge bank accounts extra after car has been returned and give no explanation as to why nor an invoice. Absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to get ahold of anyone through this so-called "company". Seriously save yourself a headache and don't trust them. Zero costumer service because there is no costumer service hotline, email or call center. I have rented through many car companies and I have no idea how this place is even in business and I don't think they will be for long once people start catching on to their multiple scams.

Robert kulda Hemel Hempstead, HRT

In short we booked with Epsom brunch,which was confirmed by email to pick up a Luton van on 21.6. at 8am as we arrived we spotted the sigh" temporarily closed due to pandemic call please this number"so we called but no actual help and someone to talk to, just redirected to other departments or hung up due too large volume of calls 🤔. And now in details. I sent this message twice but no reply since, instead a doubled invoice. Please enjoy"Good morning,I'd like to raise a complain and apply for partial refund due to many issues I faced from pick up to return,today at 8am I returned your Luton van at Croydon branch as agreed all the way from Bournemouth.The issues were following 1) my pick up location was at Epsom not Croydon (40 min drive) from my home, when I arrived at Epsom, the brunch was closed due to pandemic and no-one informed us about it in advance,just received a reminder to pick it up at Epsom few days before 2) we managed to get another one at 11am from Croydon brunch making me to return it at 8 am,so I uploaded and unloaded the car in Bournemouth at 11pm when finished making my seller agent to wait for us over 4 hours and I drove back all the way again to return it on time 3) pin on 1 side door securing door roll hinges was missing as tried to open causing me injury on my head as the other side of roll fell down due to this missing security pin, luckily nothing serious happened and I could carry on with uploading and unloading but only with doors halfway shut. Very dangerous and should have been checked regularly. So all in all bad experience, exhausted,angry and injured, therefore I expect some refund or ideally full refund as it could have ended very badly with that lack of security and negligence unless you want me to take it further, Thank you regards Robert Kulda

Charnise Johnson Chicago, IL

I visited Miami, Fl May 14th, 2021 and had so many issues it was ridiculous. When I arrived at the airport to pick up the car I rented, first they would not take the card I booked with And demanded that I had to use another card to finish the transaction, I did that and I have been getting constant fraudulent charges on both cards every other day! They also didn’t not have the car I booked and forced me to get another car, and then when I got in the car, the cars computer system was malfunctioning! I will never use them ever again! I do not recommend Sixt to nobody! They are horrible rental service that is not honest about the price, and has no order!!

Helen Casserly Rochester, NY

Vikram, Khalid & Nick at (BHX) Birmingham Airport Sixt rental car provided me with EXCEPTIONAL service. My family was in crisis & my original contract with the Heathrow Airport office was misinterpreted & no longer served my needs. I arrived in an extremely distressed state, but was treated with so much empathy & compassion. They made me feel that no problem was insurmountable. I applaud Vikram, Khalid & Nick, they have ensured my loyalty to Sixt. ~ Helen Casserly ~

Tommie L Dallas, GA

They have nice new cars and the staff is friendly and professional. It’s the least stressful rental or travel arrangement I have ever had to deal with. Actually with the miles I drive for work me renting a car from them is cheaper then buying a new one and paying a big insurance bill and maintenance. Brittany B has been especially efficient and always brought me a fresh new car out within minutes. She is definitely is off the charts when it comes to customer service.

Robert Walker Boerne, TX

I booked a car rental with Sixt at the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport in advance of a vacation to Scottsdale. Upon arrival at the airport we realized we had too many bags (bulky golf clubs) to easily access the rental shuttle and thus I left my wife with most bags at the terminal while I took golf clubs and took the shuttle to the rental center and then drove back to pick up my wife. Unfortunately, I left the copy of my rental agreement in a bag with my wife but the agent was able to pull it up on his computer. I remembered ballpark numbers regarding the rental with the base price of $315 and taxes and fees taking the total up to just over $450. The car I had reserved was a Mercedes Gla or equivalent. While the agent did not specifically say there were none of that category available, he asked what type car I wanted. I said I didn't have a specific vehicle in mind and to be honest could not remember exactly what Mercedes model was listed and shown on my reservation. He turned the computer monitor around for me to see and first pulled up a Volvo station wagon to which I showed no interest. He then pulled up a Mercedes E300 and asked if that was ok and I said yes, it would. He did not make it clear it would be an upgrade and thus more expensive. He mentioned I had booked a base rate of $315 (plus change) and then said he could give me a first time renter's discount and AAA discount which yielded a rate of $216 plus tax and fees. It was not explained to me this was in addition to the amount of my reservation. The contract I eventually got a copy of did list it as an upgrade choice with the new charges as additional charges. However, there was nothing provided in print or shown to me on a monitor that included that information. All I saw on the little electronic pad that I signed on was a line for my signature. Now, I know it is my responsibility to be aware of what I am signing whether the electronic pad on which I am signing is displaying all the details or not. I did not know I could scroll back on the pad to see all the other information but I don't know that I would have even had I known, based on what I thought I understood from the way presented by the agent. Perhaps in the back of my mind I was rushed to get back and pick up my wife and bags and was not as attentive as I should have been. I do not think the agent was trying to take advantage of me or screw me. He was a very nice man and I would gladly deal with him again. Even if he never mentioned everything was additional charges, I should have inquired and read in detail what I was signing. Once I realized the total charges was almost $750 instead of just over $450, I was very disappointed. I contacted Sixt customer service and presented the information I have detailed here and after a brief investigation on their end got back to me. They did not want to have a very unhappy first time customer and made a one time exception as a good will gesture and credited me the additional charges. When I first made my reservation online, I was impressed with Sixt competitive rates although they deal with a higher class vehicles. I will definitely rent with them again, but I will also do my due diligence to make sure I fully understand every aspect of the rental and the associated costs. I highly recommend Sixt due to their excellent customer service, and their higher class vehicles at reasonable rates.

Riashi, Diane Saint Clair Shores, MI

Do not rent from the company Only phone service they have is for rental. All other communication must be done by email. If you call the phone call goes dead. They added extra charges on my bill I've been waiting a month to hear back from them.

Jennifer Thompson Moultonborough, NH

Horrifying. They claim I damaged the car with a scratch, which I did not and they cannot prove it was me, yet they are harassing me for hundreds of dollars. They are scammers and frauds and should be put out of business. I did not even want to give one star.

Shauna Hatch Layton, UT

We showed up to get our two rentals. Apparently the larger vehicle had been in a wreck. Sixt offered us replacements that were not big enough to hold all of the passengers and luggage so we had to fork over another $750 to get a large vehicle. The customer service rep assured us we should get all of the money back. Not only did Sixt keep the extra $750, they charged us another $400-$500 when we got home! We returned the vehicles without any damage! Insanity! I will never rent from this rip-off company again!

Nellie Carol Stream, IL

I had a car reservation with Sixt in Chicago. The “customer service” rep was condescending & rude from the start; instead of a “hello”, she told me to “go read the sign” and threatened to cancel my reservation, if I didn’t put a mask on. I immediately chose to take my business to a different counter and rent from Avis instead, where people still have a say over their own bodies and are treated with respect. The Avis rep was helpful, pleasant and courteous. I will gladly cross off Sixt from my list of car rental options in the future.

Yandasmom Yandasmom Chicago, IL

I wish l could give them -100 stars because one star is too good for them. I will never rent a vehicle with Sixt ever!!! I had car trouble on my way to Atlanta, in one of their vehicles. The vehicle was shaking, so we were driving at low speeds because we did not feel safe. I call Sixt Indianapolis Airport where l had rented the car and Rochelle said she could not help me and l needed to call customer service. Customer service said that was fine l could go and exchange a vehicle at another Sixt once l got to Atlanta. Easy right, NO, Sixt Indianapolis then called me threatening to charge me a drop off fee of $900 if l did not return the car to Indianapolis. I told them the customer service they had told me to call was glad to change the vehicle and ensure our safety. Sheila/Alice/Stella whatever her name was then told me that Sixt is franchised meaning they operate as individual companies versus a national company. Therefore that car was owned by the Indianapolis Airport Sixt and needed to return there because they would have to find someone to go to Atlanta to pick it up. I asked her why then l was told to call customer service and that so l was required to drive an unsafe car back to Indy, she said yes. She added her boss had drove the car before and it was fine, okay? So what does that have to do with our current problem? IF SIXT IS NOT ONE COMPANY AND THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT FRANCHISES THEN WHY NOT HAVE DIFFERENT NAMES. This was my first time renting with Sixt and DEFINATELY!!! THE LAST. They taught me a hard lesson JUST STICK TO REPUTABLE car rental places like Budget, Avis, National, Hertz, Enterprise that have been in business forever, they have realized that customer service is important to grow a business a concept Sixt has obviously not mastered. I guess that explains why when l picked up the car, Sixt counter was empty with one or two people yet they were long lines by Avis and Budget. I guess those people learnt a lesson as well before me!!! AND I REPEAT NEVER!!! AGAIN!!! And did l mention they called me twice a day before my rental to find out if l was coming to pick up my PREPAID car!!! Ridiculous...

Paulo Santos Delray Beach, FL

Absolutely horrible experience with SIXT. First off upon arrival: I prepaid my rent, when claiming the car, they said they needed the card used because they would have to refund and then charge again. I did not have the card with my because my mom booked for me. IT WAS PREPAID AFTER ALL. The card I had with me was not enough to cover the "new charge" with deposit. I was stuck in the airport for more than 2 hours. My mom had to pick me up from Providence to Boston. Total time in the airport, almost 4 hours. When my mom arrived, SIXT did not even honor the price and charged more. Returning the car: when I full tanked the car, the range showed hundreds of miles more than I got it. Meaning they even gave me the car not fully fueled. On top of that, SIXT charged me for not fueling the to the original "range". So I am penalized for putting more gas? They charged extra. Next they claimed damages to the tires (WTH?) and charged extra again. My experience with SIXT was horrible. They are absolutely dishonest with their prices and their rental system. And they dont even have a hotline to complain. If you look up the reviews from SIXT, it speaks for itself. I gave it a shot and I absolutely regret it. I hope they will reverse the almost 100 dollars extra they charged me. But I doubt it. I have rented with many companies, never have I had this experience until with SIXT. It seems they would rather rip off a customer one time than have them as a repeat customer.

Tim Bellefonte, PA

Lots of people on here saying bad things so I'm going to start with the good then explain the bad and why I only gave 3 stars. I rented and prepaid $265 ($38 a day after taxes etc.) in March for their Mercedes E Class or similar level of rental for 1 week in September (6 Months advance notice) for my vacation in Tampa Florida, their online process was easy, filled out all required info. declined all insurances at booking. When I arrived they did not have the level I booked so offered me an upgrade (more on this later) what I drove off the lot with was a BMW X5 4.0, with all the trimmings, the car was wonderful, it ran flawlessly for the whole week, it was clean, comfortable, and well looked after, there was some minor dings and things which were already listed on the paperwork as being present, we photographed that damage anyway to be safe. After a faultless wee riding around in a very nice car, The return process in Tampa was simple, pull into the return line, leave the keys inside the car, Person comes over, checks over for any new damage, level of gas in tank etc, Good to go. Swift and easy return no issue. So now the bad. what upset me. So after I gave them 6 months notice of me wanting a Mercedes E class or similar, they did not have one, the guy at the counter was very nice, friendly, polite, well spoken. "Very sorry sir we don't have that class on the lot right now so I can offer you an upgrade to a BMW X5, would that be ok?" "sure that would be fine, thankyou" So o.k. on we go through the process, he verifies my ID, asks if we want insurance etc etc regular check out process. Until almost the last part of the rental agreement process where he's going over the charges, and gets to a $30 a day upgrade fee.....I stop him right there and protest that, it's not my fault you didn't have my car, so Why are you trying to charge me almost the same again for the car, He tried to con me off saying it was standard for upgrade, I continued to protest, if i go to enterprise and they don't have my car, they upgrade for free. He calls his manager on the phone "they don't want to pay for the upgrade" he comes back to me, would $20 a day be o.k.?, I refuse again, he goes back to the manager as he's talking with the manager I look up the rental cost difference on their app, between the Merc and the BMW, it's a $13 a day difference to book it on their app right there. I show him that and as I'm tired and just want to get to my hotel to lay down for a bit I agree that $13 a day would be fine. He confirms with his manager, hangs up and rewrites the bill, shows me the $100 total extra charge, I sign and off we go. This is why they get 3 stars not 5 from me. If you don't have a car and offer an upgrade, that upgrade should be free. I could understand you arguing if I book the car the day before or something but I gave you 6 months notice of my rental so any failure to provide is your fault not mine. This Company was great except for that. I would rent again but I'll probably just buy from the counter when I get there instead of prepaying and being upset. It's a little more expensive to pay on the day but the few $ extra would be worth it to avoid the "Forced Up sell"

Helmut

Visiting UK from Aus, I needed to hire a car from Manchester to London. After reading reviews was put off Sixt at first. But Avis was going to cost about twice as much (rental car prices in UK are ridiculous compared to Aus) so thought I'd give it a go. The staff were well-presented, friendly and helpful. Without being asked, the guy walked me to my car and showed me the features. This has never happened to me with car rental before. Drop off and billing were fine.

Ben Proto

I write this because of overall experience. The company actually gave me a car that was more expensive and charged me extra. BUT when I returned they gave me a full refund. They were pleasant and helpful. I would definitely use again.

Allen Bronson Idaho Falls, ID

They were quick to check in and get a car. It was an easy process. The employee was friendly and helpful. It was harder and more time consuming to check the car back in. I had to wait 20 or 30 minutes just for the employee to get to me and then he took another 15 minutes or so to go through the process of checking the car back in. The check in was frustrating. The car performed well, it was clean and comfortable.

Crystal Richards Lake Orion, MI

Horrible company! Charging me months later for damage to vehicle that did not occur while I rented it. I contested and heard nothing for months. When I reached out, they said there is nothing to be done, despite having no proof the damage occurred while I had the vehicle, and they they were taking me to collections. Do not use!