Sixt Rent A Car Logo

Sixt Rent A Car

7.6

LAST UPDATED: October 12th, 2021

SIXT started out with three locations and grew into an international company with locations throughout the United States. Currently, the company is present in 105 countries across the globe with over 2,000 branch locations. SIXT purchases more than 200,000 vehicles annually and owns the world's largest fleet of premium German cars.

The Good

• Vehicle Types
  • Price Range
  • Toll Prepay Option
  • Online Check-In

Vehicle Types

The SIXT vehicle fleet hosts models from German favorites like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi. Vehicle types include:

• Convertibles
  • Luxury cars
  • Minivans
  • SUVs
  • Passenger vans

Price Range

SIXT offers vehicles ranging in average prices in the car rental industry. While the prices are not necessarily low, SIXT's car selection is of a higher quality than many economy budget car rentals. The car make and models are newer and more modern so if that is important to you then the average cost is more than worth paying. Regardless of the price listed for a car, though, SIXT boasts a Best Price Guarantee.

Toll Prepay Option

A very convenient feature is the ability to order toll passes through the company's website. Having a toll pass makes your commute easier when you travel. This comes as part of the online check-in.

Online Check-In

You can check in your car from SIXT's website instead of the rental counter using one of two options: the online check-in portal via the website or the on-site terminal. After you sign in and check in with your reservation number, you go to SIXT's express counter and swap your signature for the car keys. For the terminal option, follow these steps:

1. Insert your Sixt Express Card or credit card into the terminal.
  2. The terminal detects your card automatically and shows you the reservation. You also have the option of booking extras at this point, such as winter tires.
  3. Select your car out of three vehicle options.
  4. Confirm the booking details and print your rental agreement.
  5. Open the safe and take the vehicle keys.

This makes checking in easy and fast and eliminates the issue of long lines that you get with other car rental companies.

The Bad

• Limited U.S. Availability
  • No Instant Return
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

Limited U.S. Availability

SIXT has rental car locations in 15 states, so your options are limited in the United States. Sixt has rental counters at some major airports throughout North America, but not as many as some competitors. For instance, most rental companies have counters at JFK, LaGuardia, or Newark airports in the New York City area and SIXT does not. On the plus side, SIXT is worldwide, so it is likely to cover your international travel needs.

No Instant Return

SIXT lacks an instant return option where you can leave the car with the keys inside. You must return the vehicle to a rental office (or other identified location) on the date and time specified in your rental agreement.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

SIXT does not offer discounts for fueling your vehicle on-site. If a customer returns the car low on gas, SIXT charges a $50 fee.

The Bottom Line

If you're itching to try out a new or luxury car, look no further than SIXT. With quick check-in, no hidden costs, and free cancellation, SIXT is all about convenience. However, the company is not readily available throughout North America, especially in smaller states and cities.

1.3

Mark San Diego, CA

This company is a scam. When weather changed a flight the company wanted to charge $200 fee to change or give credit for one year. I opted for credit. I received an email with confirmation and "Security Code". The email states a year to use the credit. Two months later I tried to make a reservation and the computer gave me an error. When I tried to call it played a COVID unavailable message. I send emails to service unreturned. I finally called new reservations and the guy on the phone said my reservation was a now show and hung up the phone on me. This company is a complete sham. DO NOT USE!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!

Cynthia Louise Adkins Checotah, OK

They expect people with COVID-19 to travel, potentially infecting others, to pickup rental vehicles they pre-paid for or to pay their standard cancellation fee. While that might be legal, it is extremely unethical. If you do not like doing business with morally bankrupt companies, stay far away from them.

Maria del Mar Fierros Huixquilucan, MEX

I rented a car from sixt at the San Antonio Airport, returned it 4 days after and I never got my deposit back, I made the claim through their deficient customer service and never got either a response or my money back. On July still nothing and one day I wake up with the news that they made a temporary hold of my funds for 590 USD, my bank prevented the fraudulent charge, and now on September, they've effectively charged me again for another $590, made a temporary hold of my funds for another $590!!!! This matter will be at my lawyers desk in the morning, please beware who you're dealing with, you've been warned....

Daniela Wesley Chapel, FL

Sixt in Europe is a legal scam. DO NOT RENT a car from this company for any reason. You will be charged mystery amounts with zero explanation. You will not be able to cancel or even ADD DAYS to your booking without them taking full advantage of you. This is sadly an incredibly shady and deceitful company. Spend your money somewhere else.

Jewdyer Osborne Brooklyn, NY

Rented a car from this agency and was quoted a price for the rental. I receive the bill and see that it is much more than I was quoted. I called sixth on numerous occasions to be promised calls and emails back from customer service. The correspondence from them never happened. At this point this shady rental company can have the money they stole. Ill.never use thos crappy company ever again and I will make sure that I alert all of my friends to leave this company alone. It's pretty bad when an employee in their corporate office tells me that there are only 2 people in their customer service department and that it takes weeks to get back to a customer.

David Yu Berlin, BE

Sixt KNOWINGLY rented me a faulty car!! I had previously left a 5-star review, but when things go wrong, you get nothing from Sixt customer service. Here's what happened: I rented a car to pick up my partner from Poland at the end of summer vacation. I did the standard check of the car to make sure there are no problems. On my drive I found that the previous driver dropped his wallet in the car and was able to connect to the previous driver to plan to return his wallet once I return to Berlin. When I got to Poland and the first time my partner sat in the passenger seat, we learned that the extremely loud seat belt alarm would go off even when the seat belt is fastened. This meant the passenger seat is useless and it's not something I could possibly have learned from inspecting the car when I picked it up, because the car would have to be moving for the alarm to go off. I contacted Sixt right away. No response. This meant my partner had to sit uncomfortably in the back and we couldn't bring back all the luggage and had to leave some at the parents'. The worst thing is, the previous driver who dropped his wallet returned the car within 5 minutes of renting this car because of this problem, and probably no more than 30 minutes before I picked up the car, so Sixt KNEW full well this was a faulty car and didn't inform me that I was picking up a faulty car. I contacted customer service again after returning the car, but have gotten no reply. I will unfortunately have to take it up with my credit card company. Really disappointed with the dishonesty and the lack of customer support.

Nick Nashville, TN

FRAUDULENT Business practices!!! Terrible experience with Sixt. I pre-booked a BMW X3 in Minneapolis through a 3rd party booking site for $964. Upon arriving at the airport Sixt’s estimated price was nearly $300 under the voucher paid amount so they immediately try to give me a much more expensive vehicle to match the voucher and avoid a refund. The shady salesman antic isn’t what triggered me to write this review though. After renting the X3 and returning it unharmed I received a rental receipt that included the rental amount and tax breakdowns. This came in around $833 total. Cool, so I’ll get a refund right because this is less then the prepaid amount? RIGHT!?? No. A week later I get the final invoice through email for over $1000. The rental amount was the same as the original rental receipt but in place of the original tax bill, the invoice had a line item titled “Voucher Differnz” for nearly the exact amount of tax value that was listed on the previous rental receipt. Then they totaled the Rental Amount and the “Voucher Differnz” line item to $833 and charged taxes again off the “new” subtotal. You can’t call them because they’ve used Covid as an excuse to disable their phone system. I sent 5 emails to the advised customer support email address. This morning I finally get a response back and this is the email word for word. “ Please accept our apology for the delay in response. All prices are net prices. State, federal and local taxes apply to all rentals. *Local renters are defined as renters who pick up a rental vehicle in the state of their residence as identified by the address on their driver's license. Thank you for your understanding and we hope you have a great day.” Clearly someone read my emails and took the time to investigate the matter. Great customer service Sixt, I especially enjoyed the fun inapplicable definition of a local renter and the restatement that taxes are charged on rentals. Really great insight. I look forward to next month’s reply with equal excitement that you won’t own your mistake and provide another thrilling, useless tidbit. “All rentals are subject to rental charges.” My only current recourse is to dispute the difference charged to my credit card of ~$50 and complain to the 3rd party booking site for hosting such a fraudulent company. I’d love to see an internal breakout of Sixt’s income statement, specially income from “Voucher Differnz”.

Allison Hubbard Tempe, AZ

I went on a trip to Nice, France. While there I rented a car from Sixt Rent A Car located at the Nice Airport. I prepaid $574 to have the car for 48 hours. The contract has 500 km included and additional km are charged at around $1.50/km. Two days after I returned the car (on time) I received an invoice for $13,919.59 stating I drove a total of 5,865 km. For my Americans that's 3,644 miles. Driving from California to Florida is only 2,706.4 miles. We'd have to drive 75 mph with no breaks for the entire 48 hour rental period to even accomplish that distance. We'd have to drive the entire border of France 1 and a 1/2 times. My wife emailed twice when the charge was pending on our account. Once the charge posted I called their corporate line and was told their customer service phone line was down and to email. I sent an email as directed. We've received no response to any emails. I had to dispute with my credit card company.

Tara Sottong Hayward, CA

Don’t make the same mistake I did. I paid up front. When I had to cancel my reservation 3 weeks in advance, they kept $100. Had I made the reservation and not paid, I wouldn’t have had no penalty. They are very shady. I can’t get anyone on the phone and the emails that I received don’t have a person’s name just “customer service” There are too many choices for car rentals to have to deal with this. Scroll past these people.

Aric Dershem Grand Rapids, MI

We rented from SiXT in Geneva Switzerland. The car was in good working order, but during checkout, we were offered additional insurance to cover any damages. We chose the additional insurance for 500 CHF. During our trip, we were forced to the side of a narrow mountain road by an oncoming truck and rubbed against a fence post - creating a 1.5cm scratch on the front bumper. Upon returning the car, we were charged 1500 CHF additional for repairs. I will never use SiXT again after my experience and would not recommend that you do either.

Doug N Urbandale, IA

One star is too good for Sixt. Bait and switch. At the Nuremburg site, I had a Audi car reserved at a good price through a third party. Get there and they give me a run around. The AUdi came back damaged, you can have this slightly smaller one. Oh no, that one isn't available. I have on left - it is even smaller. We will give you a discounted price. But you didn't have 1 way drop priced in. Bill is $400 on top of the price I paid for the rental. I did have the one way paid for, but they keep you spinning by changing cars and asking you questions and then you pay for it. This my first and very last time I will used SixT. Maybe a good price to start, but beware, they will take you to the cleaners if they get the chance.

sara m San Francisco, CA

This company is really awful. They claim I scratched two separate rentals (which didn't happen), and I ended up paying an extra $1700 ! I rent cars all the time and have never had a bad experience with another company. I'm writing a review, maybe for the first time ever because of having such a terrible experience. I rented cars from Sixt twice in the last year and both times they claimed I scratched the car and charged me for it. It was basically my word against theirs and I had no choice but to pay it. The first time I thought maybe it did get scratched and I just didn't realize it, but on the second one I realized this is a total scam! I seriously can't believe what a rip-off this was. So disappointing. So expensive.

Donna Simms Masterson Louisville, KY

Renters beware of accepting a car with prior damages. Even though the so called receipt the agent gives you list the known damages of the vehicle, they will still want you to pay for damages when the car is returned and the receiving crew assesses the car, without your presence. I went back to the agent when I saw the damages and he assured me the receipt listed the damages and all was good, so I took the car against my better judgement. I trusted them. What a stupid thing to do! Their process is to turn the car in without a returning walk through so you can show that the damages were previously done with our receipt listing them. The company does not look into the vehicle history to assess who did the damages they just send you a bill. Don't accept these cars and rely on a receipt to not hold you accountable. Terrible process for the customer!!

Stephen Nelson Nashville, TN

Beware of Fraudulent Damage Claims and Questionable Business Practices I rented a BMW from Sixt at Orlando International Airport in November 2020. The car was not clean. I removed trash. I returned it better than I received it and turned it over to the representative who indicated there was nothing to do and I departed. Several weeks later, I received an email message falsely accusing me of damaging the vehicle. There was no new damage to the car when I returned it. I disputed the claim hoping they had merely made a mistake. However, despite multiple communications with Sixt, the issue has yet to be resolved and they have not dropped the false claim. Note that Better Business Bureau has recorded 834 complaints against Sixt in the past three years. Note also, Sixt is not BBB accredited. An Internet search yields results of numerous lawsuits against Sixt and numerous unfavorable reviews. If they were willing to properly investigate and resolve the matter satisfactorily, I would give a favorable review. However, their integrity is in question and I now know they cannot be trusted.

Riashi, Diane Saint Clair Shores, MI

Do not rent from the company Only phone service they have is for rental. All other communication must be done by email. If you call the phone call goes dead. They added extra charges on my bill I've been waiting a month to hear back from them.

Jennifer Thompson Moultonborough, NH

Horrifying. They claim I damaged the car with a scratch, which I did not and they cannot prove it was me, yet they are harassing me for hundreds of dollars. They are scammers and frauds and should be put out of business. I did not even want to give one star.

Dani Grooms Morrow, GA

This company needs to reevaluate there refund process!!!! I booked a prepaid rental online. When I got there NO cars were AVAILABLE so of course my refund should have been automatic due to no fault of my own. It has been nothing short a hassle to have my money refunded back. the process is too long and inconvenient. If you request a refund it has to go through some type of investigation which takes 3-5 days then it takes up to 10 days for the refund to be refunded to your actual card. This a unnecessarily lengthy process. It should not be this difficult I'm very disappointed.

Shauna Hatch Layton, UT

We showed up to get our two rentals. Apparently the larger vehicle had been in a wreck. Sixt offered us replacements that were not big enough to hold all of the passengers and luggage so we had to fork over another $750 to get a large vehicle. The customer service rep assured us we should get all of the money back. Not only did Sixt keep the extra $750, they charged us another $400-$500 when we got home! We returned the vehicles without any damage! Insanity! I will never rent from this rip-off company again!

Nellie Carol Stream, IL

I had a car reservation with Sixt in Chicago. The “customer service” rep was condescending & rude from the start; instead of a “hello”, she told me to “go read the sign” and threatened to cancel my reservation, if I didn’t put a mask on. I immediately chose to take my business to a different counter and rent from Avis instead, where people still have a say over their own bodies and are treated with respect. The Avis rep was helpful, pleasant and courteous. I will gladly cross off Sixt from my list of car rental options in the future.

Ace Theriot Phillipsburg, NJ

I rented a car with Sixt in Dominican Republic at Santo Domingo (Boca Chica) Airport Location. I, and others in line, felt pressured into purchasing their insurance at a rate much more than that was shown online. If you don’t get their insurance, they take a $2K deposit on your credit card. Their middle insurance on a seven day rental was $300 USD. The car was $250. On the fifth day of my trip, while traveling through Santiago, a driver slammed into the side of my vehicle making it immobile. I called Sixt via the number on their document and was told they would send a vehicle to pick us up. The vehicle never came forcing me to get a hotel room. The next day, the same thing happened; this time I was told we would have to ride in the tow truck back to Santo Domingo (not where I was staying). I told them I wasn’t staying there and was told there was an exchange vehicle coming. The vehicle never arrived. The next day, I found out how to take a bus to where I was staying as I had been waiting for two days in the same clothing and I had missed my flight home. I contacted their Corporate Via their website, but they never reached out. It’s been nearly three weeks now. Two weeks after the accident, Sixt called and asked me to bring the keys back to Santo Domingo. I told them I would not. I ended up leaving them with an agent at another of their Sixt counters and had them sign for them. This Sixt location is shady! I paid for their expensive insurance and they left me stranded. They tried to lie via email saying I refused the exchange car. I asked why do I still have your keys if that’s the case? Why did I have to get a hotel in a place I was unfamiliar with for two nights? Why would I catch a local bus for six hours to get back to my hotel, which I didn’t stay in for two nights. They then charged me for damage to the tires and side mirror as this apparently isn’t included in their insurance. Fortunately for me my Credit Card Insurance covered it. Stay away at all costs!!!

Mahria Beachnau Farmington, MI

BEWARE!!! Go somewhere else to rent your car, ANYWHERE else!!! They not only have hidden fees but also charge bank accounts extra after car has been returned and give no explanation as to why nor an invoice. Absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to get ahold of anyone through this so-called "company". Seriously save yourself a headache and don't trust them. Zero costumer service because there is no costumer service hotline, email or call center. I have rented through many car companies and I have no idea how this place is even in business and I don't think they will be for long once people start catching on to their multiple scams.

Robert kulda Hemel Hempstead, HRT

In short we booked with Epsom brunch,which was confirmed by email to pick up a Luton van on 21.6. at 8am as we arrived we spotted the sigh" temporarily closed due to pandemic call please this number"so we called but no actual help and someone to talk to, just redirected to other departments or hung up due too large volume of calls 🤔. And now in details. I sent this message twice but no reply since, instead a doubled invoice. Please enjoy"Good morning,I'd like to raise a complain and apply for partial refund due to many issues I faced from pick up to return,today at 8am I returned your Luton van at Croydon branch as agreed all the way from Bournemouth.The issues were following 1) my pick up location was at Epsom not Croydon (40 min drive) from my home, when I arrived at Epsom, the brunch was closed due to pandemic and no-one informed us about it in advance,just received a reminder to pick it up at Epsom few days before 2) we managed to get another one at 11am from Croydon brunch making me to return it at 8 am,so I uploaded and unloaded the car in Bournemouth at 11pm when finished making my seller agent to wait for us over 4 hours and I drove back all the way again to return it on time 3) pin on 1 side door securing door roll hinges was missing as tried to open causing me injury on my head as the other side of roll fell down due to this missing security pin, luckily nothing serious happened and I could carry on with uploading and unloading but only with doors halfway shut. Very dangerous and should have been checked regularly. So all in all bad experience, exhausted,angry and injured, therefore I expect some refund or ideally full refund as it could have ended very badly with that lack of security and negligence unless you want me to take it further, Thank you regards Robert Kulda

Charnise Johnson Chicago, IL

I visited Miami, Fl May 14th, 2021 and had so many issues it was ridiculous. When I arrived at the airport to pick up the car I rented, first they would not take the card I booked with And demanded that I had to use another card to finish the transaction, I did that and I have been getting constant fraudulent charges on both cards every other day! They also didn’t not have the car I booked and forced me to get another car, and then when I got in the car, the cars computer system was malfunctioning! I will never use them ever again! I do not recommend Sixt to nobody! They are horrible rental service that is not honest about the price, and has no order!!

Ruud Vullers

Horrible experience. Car was poorly serviced and I had the fix the issues at my own expense. Now I am unable to get a refund. The alarm number listed in the contract is totally useless.

Crystal Richards Lake Orion, MI

Horrible company! Charging me months later for damage to vehicle that did not occur while I rented it. I contested and heard nothing for months. When I reached out, they said there is nothing to be done, despite having no proof the damage occurred while I had the vehicle, and they they were taking me to collections. Do not use!

Yandasmom Yandasmom Chicago, IL

I wish l could give them -100 stars because one star is too good for them. I will never rent a vehicle with Sixt ever!!! I had car trouble on my way to Atlanta, in one of their vehicles. The vehicle was shaking, so we were driving at low speeds because we did not feel safe. I call Sixt Indianapolis Airport where l had rented the car and Rochelle said she could not help me and l needed to call customer service. Customer service said that was fine l could go and exchange a vehicle at another Sixt once l got to Atlanta. Easy right, NO, Sixt Indianapolis then called me threatening to charge me a drop off fee of $900 if l did not return the car to Indianapolis. I told them the customer service they had told me to call was glad to change the vehicle and ensure our safety. Sheila/Alice/Stella whatever her name was then told me that Sixt is franchised meaning they operate as individual companies versus a national company. Therefore that car was owned by the Indianapolis Airport Sixt and needed to return there because they would have to find someone to go to Atlanta to pick it up. I asked her why then l was told to call customer service and that so l was required to drive an unsafe car back to Indy, she said yes. She added her boss had drove the car before and it was fine, okay? So what does that have to do with our current problem? IF SIXT IS NOT ONE COMPANY AND THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT FRANCHISES THEN WHY NOT HAVE DIFFERENT NAMES. This was my first time renting with Sixt and DEFINATELY!!! THE LAST. They taught me a hard lesson JUST STICK TO REPUTABLE car rental places like Budget, Avis, National, Hertz, Enterprise that have been in business forever, they have realized that customer service is important to grow a business a concept Sixt has obviously not mastered. I guess that explains why when l picked up the car, Sixt counter was empty with one or two people yet they were long lines by Avis and Budget. I guess those people learnt a lesson as well before me!!! AND I REPEAT NEVER!!! AGAIN!!! And did l mention they called me twice a day before my rental to find out if l was coming to pick up my PREPAID car!!! Ridiculous...

Hon Jung Willoughby, OH

When I pick up my rental car already have some damage in the front and back. I am not smart enough to take to them or take a picture. After I return the car they claim for me I make that damage is so unbelievable the company will do that.

Sophia Miami Beach, FL

AVOID. SCAM. FRAUD. They give you damaged car and CHARGE YOU for damages. Andrea gave damaged car, Francisco "apologized" and explained this is not the first time he received complaint about Andrea and offered a refund. Francisco did not issue any refunds but instead he charged for the damages of the car. I have been renting cars for 20 years and have never had such a disgraceful behavior. AVOID.

Paulo Santos Delray Beach, FL

Absolutely horrible experience with SIXT. First off upon arrival: I prepaid my rent, when claiming the car, they said they needed the card used because they would have to refund and then charge again. I did not have the card with my because my mom booked for me. IT WAS PREPAID AFTER ALL. The card I had with me was not enough to cover the "new charge" with deposit. I was stuck in the airport for more than 2 hours. My mom had to pick me up from Providence to Boston. Total time in the airport, almost 4 hours. When my mom arrived, SIXT did not even honor the price and charged more. Returning the car: when I full tanked the car, the range showed hundreds of miles more than I got it. Meaning they even gave me the car not fully fueled. On top of that, SIXT charged me for not fueling the to the original "range". So I am penalized for putting more gas? They charged extra. Next they claimed damages to the tires (WTH?) and charged extra again. My experience with SIXT was horrible. They are absolutely dishonest with their prices and their rental system. And they dont even have a hotline to complain. If you look up the reviews from SIXT, it speaks for itself. I gave it a shot and I absolutely regret it. I hope they will reverse the almost 100 dollars extra they charged me. But I doubt it. I have rented with many companies, never have I had this experience until with SIXT. It seems they would rather rip off a customer one time than have them as a repeat customer.

Nicole C Trenton, NJ

If I could give a negative review I would. They ripped us off by renting out and "selling off" all cars in our price range. Forced us to upgrade and CHARGED us for it. They also tried to hit us with a B.S. $250 "cleaning fee" for smoking when we returned it. The car smelled like weed when we picked it up, and the whole week - we had no choice but to keep it because they were already short on cars. They did issue a refund when we complained, but would not refund the mandatory upgrade we were forced to take. It's not our fault that you sold away half of your fleet due to covid, and rented out the car class we reserved. The reservation was made 7 months in advance.

Eileen Pierson Argyle, TX

HORRIBLE - They rip you off - do not rent from them. Here is my story Sixt - I already contacted your "Customer Service", and their response was just ridiculous. Here are the facts. I rented via Priceline August 2020 and was charged immediately $313.09, which included taxes for a mid size car. When I arrived at Orlando International the lone girl at the booth said "I need your credit card". I know that's a normal practice to cover tolls, etc. even though I had my Sunpass with me. She proceeded to say "this is not the card you booked with". I replied yes I know but my chip is not working and I've yet to receive a new credit card, so I have to use my VISA - because even the swipe will not work". She said "well we don't normally accept this but I'll do it anyway." Really? That was just stupid also. Then she proceeded to ask the usual questions, and one was "do you want additional insurance, damage waiver etc." I said NO - I'm covered by my insurance company and I never take it. Apparently she added it anyway. Did I sign the document without reading every line - YES - because stupidly I assumed, as I have done for years in renting cars, that she did not go ahead and charge me anyway - and it was late at night. My husband was standing with me and verified we did not want the damage insurance, etc. LOOK AT THE TAPE WHICH YOUR EMPLOYEES SAID YOU HAVE ON EVERY TRANSACTION. When I got to the condo I looked at the receipt and was like WHAT??? She went and charged us and on top of that added taxes. We waited until we returned the car and talked to attendant to get this off our card. She said she cannot do it but would put in a complaint ticket about it. Of course she never did. If you look at the bill itself it's very confusing as well. First it says total $562.00, then under Authorization on 1/28/21 - it says $478.91. You charged me an additional $248.91 on my credit card. I submitted to my VISA CHASE to protest the charge. This is really a shame that I imagine you play on all your customers and they don't want to take the time to fight it - but I'm retired and have nothing but time, and I will not put up with it. First I have this post on Facebook - but it will not stop there. I intend to put on Priceline sights, and all reviews of your company unless you credit this charge. I saw complaints about your company, but stupidly booked anyway. FIX THIS.

Jessica Sparkle Morrisville, NC

What a TERRIBLE COMPANY! I am the Admin for a company in Raleigh, NC. I was asked to make a vehicle reservation through SIXT at the Orlando, FL airport location. When I made the reservation, I was required to pay to hold the reservation. I paid $912.62. When my co-worker landed in Orlando he went to pick up his rental car and was told that the driver of the vehicle must be the one paying for the car so he used his credit card and was charged $902.20. both charges went through and showed up on our credit card statements. I immediately was informed and asked to fix the discrepancy. I called on a Friday and was told by customer service that they would do an internal investigation and let me know the outcome. Umm, no. I nearly overpaid a thousand dollars and I'm not waiting around for the internal company so I requested a call back from a manager. They said I'd hear back before end of day. I never did hear back. On Monday I called again, to be told by the reservations team that SIXT is closed on President's Day. Tuesday (this morning) I again called and sat through their excruciating hold music. The representative tells me that the customer service department is the only one that can handle my call needs and they don't open until 9 AM. FINALLY I call at 9 AM and am told that I cannot do anything; they won't even talk to me because the reservation was put in HIS name and he's the driver. I got pretty pi$$ed off seeing as how my co-worker is on a business trip hence the need for a car rental. I asked to speak with a manager and was told I'd get the same response. I insisted on speaking with a manager. Instead of connecting me, I was placed on hold for 21 minutes before the guy got back on the line and said again that I couldn't do anything because the reservation is in my co-workers name. We put a stop charge on the card. Never had to do it before. I looked around online and can see that double charging is a regular thing that SIXT does to people. TERRIBLE COMPANY. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID

James Martin Sault Ste. Marie, MI

If I could give a zero, I would. Long story short, we got caught in the COVID dilemma like so many. My timeshare refunded money/gave credit, our airline did the same. But not sixt. They hit us with a cancellation fee, charged us sales tax on that fee (which I believe is illegal) and then gave me a voucher of my own money in the amount of $124. But even that was a lie; as I went to use it, it was only :$116. But in order to use it, you have to use the "pay later" platform. Of which has a surcharge of, get this, $114. So they have now taken us for $289 and provided NOTHING but hours on hold and a headache. RUN away from this company. I have sent emails and they don't even reply. This company is the most corrupt of any I have seen. Considering their rating on the BBB website is 1.07 on a scale with 1.00 being the lowest and 5.00 being the highest (I've never seen a rating that low in my life). It's probably just as well well we do our business elsewhere and cut our losses. The first thing they taught us in Econ 101 is that 85% of your business is repeat traffic. This company will not survive long. Especially with all the people we have read stories about being charged for "damage", extra drivers, and fees that were never explained but hidden in the fine print. If you do rent from them, make sure it is with a card you have a long history with (they are more likely to fight for a loyal customer) and take close up video of every inch of the car once you put it in the parking lot where you are returning it.

Robert Petersen

Accidentally booked a rental at the wrong airport. Wouldn’t modify and told me I’d have to pay a 50% cancellation fee even though I tried canceling within 10 minutes of the error. No ability to make phone contact with a human, just some automated email. Horrible company

Robert Hoffman Miami, FL

Said that a volvo station wagon was an upgrade from Mercedes or similar reserved. Priceline said wouldnt be charged til pick up. Was charged on reservation by Sixt. When canceled and asked about refund, they said priceline would make that decision. Called priceline and told me I was not supposed to be charged til I picked up reservation. Bait and switch bad customer service. When pick up car from another company their cars were next to it in airport garage. Saw an awful lot of smaller Mercedes cars, bmw. Dont use this company. Currently disputing charge with credit card company!

Donald Young Highland, CA

I prepaid for a rental car a month ago. Three week ago the airlines sent me a chance in air arrival time that would get me in past the meeting time. times. So i cancelled my fight with NO fee changed and booked with another airline. I had to go into another city to do so. Sixt didn't serve Austin Tx .So i called to cancel and they wouldn't refund me my pre-paid. I ask for the CEO contact information which they would no supply. This would have been my forth rental with them. I will NEVER rent with them again. They need to go back to Germany where they came from.

chris Atlanta, GA

It takes a lot for me to write a review but it's fully deserved in this case. I will not rent from Sixt again. Sixt notified me of a speeding ticket that I incurred through video monitoring in Austria. They assessed an administrative fee. I paid the ticket and the fee. Some months later Sixt contacted me about another ticket and again assessed an administrative fee. I responded and asked some questions about the ticket and fee, including why hadn't I received notice from the local authority like Sixt explained would happen. Sixt never responded to my questions and later in the year referred the matter to a collection agency. More administrative fees have been assessed. Most frustratingly, I called Sixt today - they did not respond to an email I sent - and they refused to discuss the matter, saying "We can't help you now." How's that for customer service? Oh, and I should mention here that they did not provide a car in the same class that I reserved and paid for.

Stacey Bell Phoenix, AZ

Wost company ever. I booked a trip to West Palm Beach Florida October 2020 to visit in December 2020. I used Orbitz to book flight, hotel and car. I thought it was all done. Then I needed to extend my trip by 2 days so I called each company to make the arrangements. Sixt told me that I would have to cancel my reservation, forfeit my payment, re book and repay. I should have known then how terrible they at that point, but continued on…. I initiated a dispute with Citi. However, I was able to talk to someone that transferred my existing reservation and add the additional days needed, so all was right in my world again, and I canceled the dispute. December comes, I pack, fly and arrive to West Palm Beach to visit my elderly parents – woohoo! I arrive at Sixt to pick up the car, and they told me that the reservation had been canceled since I didn’t pay my credit card bill. The manager shouted this across the room and would not come to the station where we were. The customer service woman, I believe her name began with a D, (sweet woman with a really nice smile) was trying her best to help me, but their policy states that she can do nothing. The manager kept insisting, loudly and from across the room, that I didn’t pay my credit card bill and I would have to rebook my reservation paying the current charges right now. I pulled up my Citi Visa app on my phone and showed them that they had been paid $260.49 on October 4. You would think that could have been the end of the issue. He stated that I could call the Sixt billing department and they would be able to help me or call my credit card company to dispute the charge. I assured him that I would do just that. The gal booked my reservation. I told her that the original reservation had an addition driver and was $260 for a RAV4. She informed me that they could not do that and I would have to pay $618.79 for the same rental…. $200 is a security deposit and would be returned to me if the car came back in the same shape as when I drove off the lot. She also said she would credit the additional driver, as a credit, but that never happened. Furious, frustrated, and more importantly, stranded, I took the vehicle and tried to enjoy my vacation and my family. When it was time to return the car, I called Sixt customer service to verify the location of the drop off. I did not trust the company, as I am sure you can imagine, and wanted to make sure I was going to be able to get to the airport. I was told that the drop off location was the airport, and if no one was at the desk, to just park the car somewhere in the lot and leave the keys on the desk. WHAT? Where do I park the car? What if someone takes the keys or tows the car? Convinced that this individual is new and doesn’t know what he is talking about, I called back. The second individual, Steven, told me that I would have to return it to the location where I picked the car up, on Bristol Street, and unfortunately there was no shuttle to the airport. WHAT? I rented from the airport to return to the airport because how else would I get to the airport? I asked Steven how I was supposed to get from the drop off location to the airport, he said he didn’t know, maybe call a cab. This is not a very safe area at 5am for a woman to be standing around outside waiting for a cab. Shocked, I had my elderly father drive me to the location that afternoon so I could return the car, and I arranged for an Uber driver to take me to the airport at 5am the next morning. Furious at this company for the lack of professionalism, serious lack of customer service, deceit and insane policies, I just wanted to be done with them. The same gal was working when I checked the car in. She informed me that there was a shuttle that gets to the location about 6 am, so it may have been there at 5. Well, I was so over this company by this point. I certainly was not leaving, hoping there was shuttle the next day, after bothering my father to drive the 90 minute round trip highway adventure on I95 at rush hour. Can you imagine if I had waited to drop the car off at 5am and HOPED that they had a shuttle? How would I get to the airport if they didn’t? and if no one was there, since they don’t open till 6, how would I have returned the car? This is the most discombobulated, unprofessional company I have ever seen. She informed me again that the charge would most likely be $418 since the $200 was their protection, and as long as I returned the car in perfect condition with a full tank of gas, I would only be charged $418. I reminded her that I had already paid $260. back in October and would be disputing this full charge. She apologized for the entire event, said she would do the same thing, and wished me luck. I should probably also ask for my Uber driver amount too but don't want to have any more dealings with this company.

Rowena Cavanaugh Carlsbad, CA

RIP OFF! DO NOT RENT FROM SIXT!!!!! They would not refund my dad's card after they said they would refund his card and that it would only take up to 5 days. My dad prepaid for my rental to pick up in Houston... since my dad was not present, they would not let me take the rental car. I had a friend pick me up at the airport after I could not rent after it was already pre-paid. I called for 2 weeks and got the run around on the refund. No refund 2 weeks later... they don't plan to refund the money either after they already told me a refund had been issued but it never was... then all of a sudden I had to make a cancellation... but they were going to charge $166 for the cancellation... what!? RIP OFF!!! Don't use this fraudulent company!

John Wright Cape Coral, FL

My experience from the beginning to the end was less than professional. From the beginning when I was told that pre-paying for the car was the best option for us. What they failed to tell us was that the pre-paid option would not allow us to cancel for any reason. They charge our account immediately which I found odd. With the COVID out break, and Government lock down in Minnesota we were forced to cancel our Thanksgiving plans to fly from Florida to Minnesota. We canceled our flight with no charge, we canceled our Rover (dog sitter) with no charge, but when it came to Sixt Rental for the car....we were told no way. That had to charge us for a 3 day rental, at $173.00. Canceling our plans was upsetting enough, and then to get kicked the teeth for a service we did not use, when everyone else we booked with were professional and accommodating. Well this company has lost my business and the business of everyone else I know. If your reading this review prior to booking , please be aware. I would suggest going to Hertz, or Enterprise as they know how to treat their customers with professionalism and dignity.

Jeremy Patton Lakeland, FL

Absolute worst experience I have ever had trying to rent a car. After an hour and a half wait in the heat at the airport with 6 kids they finally got a hurtle for us but we had to fight for seats. After arriving to pick up a vehicle at their office another 2 hour wait just to be denied a rental after they demanded an additional $300 on top of the full rental price I already paid plus an additional $500 deposit. After arguing they cancelled our reservation and refused then to rent us a vehicle and left a family of 8 in a foreign country with no transportation in an awful neighborhood. Buyer beware, this place is a scam and if you call them out for their scamming they will make you pay for it by refusing the pre paid rental and not crediting you back your money. This was a NIGHTMARE!!

Jayesh Patel Chippenham, WIL

Sixt is ripoff, be aware. They charge for everything. here is my story I rented a car out from 8am til 9pm the office closes at 6pm but reception never told me about it and did not give any information where i supposed to leave the car upon return and where to drop the car key when return. i was there well before time, i did get instruction about where to leave car but no info about keys. i spent 10-15 mins to find, wasted about an hour on phone to get some help but no luck. so took the car home, i tried calling their phone number finally a lady picked up and after 30 mins of chat she agreed with me to keep the car. guess, what they charged me £10+VAT even though the lady agreed with me. they wanted proof that i was there in car park before time. seriously!! this is not finish here, i took the car in London city and forgot to pay congestion charge, which is fine i have to pay penaly, Sixt charged me £40 administration fee to just divert the penalty to me. i could not believe their outrageous charging scandal. i will never ever hire a car from Sixt. NO NO No. one last thing, there is no phone number to call if you get invoice for any extra charge or penalty. trust me. I suggest you to not hire from Sixt if you don't want to have any trouble.

Kristen Brusco Waukesha, WI

I will never rent from this company again in my life. If I could give a 0 I would! Dulles Airport. Horrible customer service, taking advantage of people. Not fully explaining the fees and saying its only $13 more but failing to say $13 a day. Promising discounts and us not receiving them. Admitting their fault and STILL not giving the discount to the customer that they were promised. Making people upgrade to a different car than what they reserved and ripping them off saying there is no other car they can rent to you. Shuttle drivers not even waiting until the person is sitting down to drive off taking off fast making customers almost fall. Never again. Very disappointed. Do not rent from here, there are plenty of other car rental places, go with someone else. They will totally take advantage of you and promise you discounts that they will not give. I work in customer service and this was the worst I have ever dealt with. I was only asking for what the front desk lady, Mona, promised me nothing more and I did not get what was promised to me. And even when I tried to go in to talk to someone after dropping off the car they were pushing me to go into the shuttle and did not want me going into the office to speak to someone. I wish I can warn everyone literally do not rent from here!

Tia Jones

Not a reliable company, very unprofessional, use enterprise, Avis or hertz brands for car rentals. This place is beyond disappointing.

Nachiket Shankar Boston, MA

Worst experience ever. Left my airpods in the rental car came back 30 minutes later and they said they don't have it. Dishonest rental car agency. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Brook Elizabethtown, KY

Car was fine rental was easy but they billed us twice. Customer service is terrible. Unable to contact people, customer service phone numbers do not work and if you finally get to someone they say their lines are down and must resolve via website. Horrible customer service.

Frank Neal Dayton, OH

Absolutely the worst experience we’ve ever had with a company. We were charged by sixt for two rental cars and only rented one. We’ve been trying to get our refund back for a car we did not rent for over a month with no success. We have had the run around from every single person we talk to. Would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Justin Simmons Waterdown, ON

This company is the worst rental company I have ever dealt with. With the whole pandemic situation going on in the world they are refusing to refund money even though the areas of the world we are travelling to are in lockdown. Don't waste your money with these people they are unprofessional and I do not know how to take care of their client base they have had for years.

Lev Vayner Woodland Hills, CA

Over the past decade, I've rented vehicles over 100 times. About 6 or 7 years ago SIXT came to the states, and after the first really pleasant experience, I rented again. It was consecutive good service, good cars, and great prices. Since then SIXT has significantly raised their prices to the point they are no longer competitive. But still I seek them out, and chose them as the rental company for our latest trip. Arriving at the counter (Los Angeles) felt like I walked into a black market back alley in Istanbul. I wasn't sure if they just wanted to give me a lower class car (booked full size SUV, offered a crossover), or make me pay extra for the car offered at the rate I booked, or maybe try to take me into a backroom somewhere to take my kidney. I have had two consecutive negative experiences with SIXT mirroring a failing company stuck in a downward spiral. I would urge anyone considering SIXT to run, not walk, to another rental company.

N sro West Valley City, UT

Sixt is morally disgusting! I and my family tested positive for Covid 19 so I had to cancel a trip to Hawaii (actually postpone). American Airlines waved all fees to cancel, Hotels.com canceled without fees and Priceline was easy to work with... Guess who the problem is, Sixt rent cars... They infomed me that they be holding strictly to their 3 day charge cancelation policy. Sure they offered to allow me to move my reservation if I pick my next reservation dates before my trip was to take place. Guess what, I have larger things to worry about, my safety and my employment... I get you're real sad I won't be renting a car from you but Hawaii isn't even committed to opening for sure on time for my trip.