Sixt Rent A Car Logo

Sixt Rent A Car

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

7.6

Greg M St Louis, MO

Check in process was ridiculous and timely. No one in line however the system was not working and once getting checked in, the card reader would not work and I had to do the whole process again. We did end up with a broken windshield and I was charged two days "loss of use" we all know a windshield takes two hours at most to replace. No wonder our insurance rates sky rocket as these companies charge more than they need to. I also see Sixt has their own insurance coverage for loss so why am I being charged. SIXT owes me one day "loss of use" and I will never rent from them again.

Peggy Harty Moab, UT

My rental experience was quite good, (shuttle service to and from airport, polite service, and a nice new car) that is, until over a week after checking it in I received a bill for over $700 to repair the "superficial" scratch that was considered new damage on top of 10 other existing damages that had obviously not been repaired. I will never use this company again! Anything good about the car and the local service was ruined by the shock of being billed for damage I didn't cause.

Joseph Shpats Fort Lauderdale, FL

my first time to write a review - but I had too, Worst customer service I have ever encountered- and I cant help feel it is intentionally. one of their customer hit my car from the back on Thursday, they have the report, they know they are at fault, Yet, he got to simply drive his rental $100k SUV and replace it, and I get a run around on customer support people to get a replacement car and adjuster. Sixt rent a Car- you are a disgrace to a service company.

Ruth Redding, CA

Our plane was delayed. We arrived at 1:09 am after calling and telling them we would be arriving very close to their closing time. We were assured a memo would be sent. No one was there. No note. No email conversation. I will never rent from them again. The app was not functioning. It could not find my reservation. Very frustrating. Overall experience is bad. Plus getting anyone on the phone is an exercise in futility.

madeleine delage

To bad I cant give them a 0. Just like many reviews I read here, my daugther and I were given the wrong car stating they didnt have any other available even if I reserved 3 days in advance and then they wanted us to pay for all the wrong things they found on the car...even the scratch that were mention in the contract. THEY ARE CROOKS...NO OTHER WORDS FOR THEM. AVOID AT ALL COST!!!!

MJ O'Sullivan Brighton, MI

DO NOT USE THIS CAR RENTAL COMPANY- THEY ARE FRAUDULENT IN THEIR BILLING PRACTICES!! After pre-paying for a rental and told by their Customer Service people that the costs were all-in, they added $60 to my credit card 2 weeks after the car was turned in. It took months to resolve this fraudulent charge. Additionally- the Orlando service center was an exercise in chaos- people everywhere, indistinguishable lines crossing, counter people chatting away while Rome burned. NEVER AGAIN- I'd rather walk then do business with these charlatans.

Diane Columbus, IN

Zero stars. They are the worst, charged us twice and say they refunded the first but did not. Getting our money is now an ordeal. They have horrible customer service and place the burden of responsibility on us to prove they didn't refund. The standard line is " I have to contact accounting " which means no one is going to do anything. I will never ever ever ever rent from them again and if you are reading this fo yourself a favor and rent from someone else.

Sarah

Worst travelling experience I have had in my life. Was charged thousands of dollars for damages that I did not cause, 3 weeks after returning the car. Customer service is appalling, my emails have not been answered and I have no explanation for where these costs came from and why it took 3 weeks to charge me for these things. Do not rent from them, this is a complete scam and has made my travelling experience so much worse.

Hesta Fortgang White Plains, NY

I rented a car at Palm Beach Intl airport last Fb. I bought insurance with Sixt. A man hit me in the rear, I called sixt immediately, and gave them all the info on the driver and the car. it is now 9 months later and six tells me I have to pay the damage, th other insurance company denied the claim and the insurance I bought thru Sixt is something I have to claim myself UNHEARD OF SERVICE

Sandy Webber Oregon, WI

They are HORRIBLE! Hurrican Irma was approaching Florida and the Orlando airport and the SIXT car rental in Orlando were closed on the day my son was to fly out. So he drove to the next closest airport with a Sixt car rental location. SIXT CHARGED HIM SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS AS A ONE WAY CAR RENTAL FEE! EVEN THOUGH THEIR OFFICE WAS CLOSED ON THE DAY OF HIS FLIGHT! The airline didn't charge him a change fee. FYI Sixt - haven't you ever heard of honey attracting more bees than vinegar?????? You are all vinegar!

mary Buffalo, NY

I rented thru sixt only because my company assigned them to me when I planned my vacation thru the company site. We left the airport with the car and got a flat tire. I called to report the flat. They sent AAA out to help. Then they told me the car had to go to a tire place and the tire needed to be repaired or replaced at my expense. Turns out, the tire needed to be plugged. Once I turned the car in, my final bill was $85.00 more than I was originally quoted. I will NEVER rented from them again and I will be filing a complaint with my company.

Joy S Santa Rosa, CA

Unlike other car rental companies, Sixt does not have many branches in the US. As such, if there is a problem with the vehicle as simple as a busted tire, you can’t easily exchange the vehicle. You have to run in a risky spare tire until you reach their nearest branch which is way too far. It’s not worth the hassle. It is better to rent on a car rental company that have several branches.

Barbara Spring Valley, NY

I used this company in Iceland. Do not rent from this company. I believe that they employ dishonest business practices. We picked our rental car up at night in the rain. Cursory inspection showed no issues. Upon return, a minor dent in the rear driver's side door resulted in a charge of $454 dollars. The entire process felt contrived. I was more convinced when I discovered the couple who checked out right before me was charged $454 for a minor scratch. Sixt staff went directly to a hidden spot on the car to claim the damage when it was returned. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM.

Luis Suarez Miami, FL

I rent a car in Dubai Mercedes Benz I paid the all insurance for the car, I had a incident , I was driving when someone crossed to me and I had to approach the sidewalk and scratched the RH rings front a back was small scratch like two inches front and rearrange, and they took $800 dollars from my credit car deposit, I don’t recommended that company because the insurance doesn’t cover the rings I am very disappointed with this rent a car company.

Lize

We had an extremely bad experience with Sixt Croatia. Hidden costs, lies about costs at the counter, no desire for customer service, etc etc. Note: to pass through Bosnia-Herzegovina via the Neum corridor between Dubrovnik and Split should be free (and does NOT cost EUR100 as we were told at the pick-up desk, neither EUR45 as we were informed by emails when querying this misinformation at the counter). Save yourself a lot of problems and rather use ANY OTHER rental company but Sixt.

Jen V. Dayton, OH

Be aware of toll roads! We were not given the option to pre-pay for tolls. Three weeks after our trip we received an invoice that our tolls totaled $11.78 but SIXT charged us an additional $50 .00 for "Administration Fee Toll." We drove through South FL to Key West so tolls were unavoidable. We have rented from other companies in states with frequent tolls and and have never been charged an administration fee. and typically we are able to use the "fast pass" lanes to avoided this type of issue. Also, we reserved a Mercedes and ended up with a Volvo....NOT the same quality in our opinion.

Michael Santa Cruz, CA

I rented a car with Sixt for five days without incident. Did the walk around with the agent upon return, no problems. A full week after my return I receive notification that there is a scratch on the car and a bill for $450. My five attempts to get the information to file a claim with my insurer were met with the company continuing to send my contract and pictures of the car. They would not directly answer any of the questions that were posed to them or provide additional information.

Greg B

Beyond a doubt this is a big scam. I did not damage the car yet a few days later there is a claim for underbody damages. I know this is pure BS but what can one do? This company should be shut down. Please rent from a real and reputable car company not some scam artist. Worst experience ever from the moment I arrive and it does not end there. From a $3500 credit card hold on rental to the claim of damages. Really Sixt??? How are you still in business. Worst company ever. I should have know better but I got sucked in by nice cars at reasonable prices.

Stephan Papa Denver, CO

Beware. They are deceitful; they charged me for a fraudulent claim; it started with the agent at the Porto, Portugal airport selling me up to an expensive car saying I needed it for the mountains, then they didn't go over the car with me to check for damage before giving it to me, then they charged me for a full tank of gas instead of giving me the option of bringing it back full, and then they claimed a windshield speck, which they said happened during my time driving the car, required a new windshield and charged me for it. I will never rent from Sixt again and caution you to beware.

Varoujan Burbank, CA

When I made reservations with Sixt through Expedia, I was quoted a certain price for UNLIMITED MILES. At the airport in Riga they told me that my quote was for 100km/day and for every extra mile I will be charged a certain fee/mile. I had no choice but to rent the car but then had to cancel some of my trips because of distance. I called customer service and sent them a screenshot of my contract that showed unlimited miles. They told me that they will investigate it and will return to me shortly. Of course, that never happened. Very disappointed.

Chris D McKinleyville, CA

Worst rental car company in the buisness. They over charged me triple. When I went to get car i reserved they said it wasnt avail and I needed to pay 190 for an uograde to get a car. Then the car they gave me broke down within 5 minutes. Returned took 3 hours to get another one. When i returned was told a price. Then the charged my card triple the amount for no reason. Car was returned in perfect shape with no overages. Stay far away

Michael Atherton, CA

Run, don't walk! Made a reservation over Internet and upon arrival to Madrid Airport they didn't want to allow us to use the insurance provided by our credit card because they said we had to decline their insurance upon reservation - but they don't provide any way to decline it. We walked away and rented from a different company - Eurocar. Then Sixt charged our card for $330 and lied to the credit card company that we actually rented the car from them, so now we have to spend a lot of time to dispute it!

Brown Adams Dallas, TX

I experienced poor customer service at the Dallas/Addison Marriott Quorum by the Galleria location. Two ladies working at the front desk have the worst attitude by an employee, they were rolling their eyes and basically not interested in serving me. They gave me the wrong information which made me waste a whole hour running around, just plain incompetent and unaware of the job duties. Fake plastic smiles, no courtesy whatsoever.

Jose Perez Victorville, CA

Rented a car and when I returned it it had (not from me) a very VERY little scratch. Their lack of response to Allianz (had the car covered by them) so they could get paid has been terrible and will never ever rent from Sixt again. I'm a frequent traveler (Platinum in Delta and so forth) so I do rent a lots of cars. Called many times Sixt's claims department and had never the calls answered. One time I waited over 2hrs and finally hanged up. DON'T RENT FROM SIXT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam King

Absolute RIP-off merchants. I hired a car, checked it over and pointed out some things they didn't have. Fine. But when I returned it they pointed out some scratches on the roof! Who checks the roof!? Categotically I did not scratch the roof, I parked in an underground carpark, never put a bag on there or anything. It's terrible behaviour to go over it with a fine tooth comb AFTER but even have the major scratches that I picked up on before. Shouldn't be legal.

John Smith Beverly Hills, CA

Horrible customer service. You are likely to get scammed on exaggerated repair costs with minor cosmetic damages. Do not trust this company. Small rim scratches. They will be charging you for an entire new rim and then not even replace the rim with the small amount of damage in question. Ask Rob F. He actually just did a video on this very subject. You can find it on YouTube on the superspeedersRob channel. Go check it out.

James

This is the worst rental experience I have ever had. I made an on-line reservation for Dublin, when I showed up at the airport they would not give me a car. Now I cannot get a refund. They fob me off to the Dublin office, which sends me to the USA email. Customer service either gives me the Dublin email or promises me a follow up email that never arrives. Avoid these people like the plague!

Richard Ford

booked through hotwire hired the car at Paris Airport. Firstly the car I booked was not available so I had to pay 5 euros more a day than I got quoted. Second I had a 92 euro charge for location nearly the cost of my car hire, ive tried to contact Sixt but they haven't replied. will not be using them ever again.

Maria

We returned the car we rented and forgot a hand bag in the car, we came back 10 minutes later and when we got the bag back all the money that was inside was gone. Somebody took the money and no one would give us explanation, the manager who talked to us couldn’t give any explanation, he only advised us to call the police. So here we are, on our last day in Miami with no money left because somebody from Sixt rental car company stole the money we had left. Never again

Ron R Phoenix, AZ

The worst rental car ever. Read the reviews , they scam everyone by not having you check the car over before you leave and then claiming damage that you caused when you return the car, that you did not cause. Never giving you the same car you signed up for and treating their customers like crap!

MD Maur

There are many car rental options, and this is the last one I'd recommend. Not only will you never hear from an agent by phone, no matter the concern, but any responses take weeks by email. Any company that states they are transparent and value customers but refuse to talk to you, is clearly not. I was not properly informed that I was going to be charged $300+ more after the initial $400 reservation. All I wanted was a child's car seat at pickup, got a dirty booster that was laying on the floor, and somehow that's hundreds more.

Brandy Dallas, TX

First of all, I rented with Sixt in California and it was a breeze! Now lets talk about the confirmation in DALLAS! Horrible! Horrible the CS rep Janova was VERY RUDE first she answers and then hangs up on me, then when I called back to state my issue she was talking over me JUST RUDE! Told me the van was not avbl on my days but didn't offer a different solution. If I could give - stars I would! I will NEVER EVER rent with them again!

Adrian

Tried to book Sixt Seattle car rental online - error message - emailed customer service - no worries just send reservations team email with your requirements - done - reservations team - you need to go back to customer service - now one week on from original website enquiry - "One of our dedicated Sixt agents will be getting back to you pretty quickly, just like our quick cars!" doh?

BGPI

Only giving it one star as can't post a review otherwise - it would be zero if I could!!!! You might think you're getting a good deal but it's not a Ryanair recommended partner for nothing. Got hit with a charge for damage that had nothing to do with me. Naively thought when the guy at returns said "no need to review the car" he was a genuine fella.....but nope! Set up and taken advantage of. Use anyone else apart from these p......eople. 'nuff said!

Janet Cornelius, OR

I am just now seeing the reviews of Sixt Rent a Car. Had I found these reviews prior to my online arrangements I would never have done business with them. The restricted area unlimited mileage wasn't stated in my reservation and was an unexpected exorbitant charge. But I had a hero at the desk ! I am 71 and not very savy on the computer. Alfredo went out of his way to help me. He was patient and very helpful. So 5+ stars for Alfredo but Sixt policies and business practices definitely -1. All the best Alfredo !!

gpm Spring, TX

This company will overwhelm you with excitement upgrading you to a luxury car without additional charge. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR RENTAL CAR FOR ANY BLEMISHES, SCRATCHES, DENTS, ETC AND TAKE PICTURES. They will come back and charge you later on. They gave me a Jaguar XJ for a day last August, 2018 and later emailed me about a scratch found on one of the corners. My fault was I didn't go over the car at the office, so it came back and haunted me. Lesson learned. I do not recommend this company.

Michael

Sixt Rental Cars will perform random mechanical checks. If they find any hidden problem, you'll be charged for the repair, even if you didn't cause it. For example, if a clutch is worn due to a previous driver but the problem only becomes apparent during your rental, they will charge you for it. In Madeira, they charged me €4142 to replace a part worn clutch which drive perfectly normally.

G. Connectal Honolulu, HI

Rented a vehicle at Denver and declined the additional $59.00 a day insurance since I am covered under my own policy. 2 days after the return of the vehicle I received the receipt and they still charged me the $59.00 a day. I sent an email to there customer service and no reply. I will have to dispute the charge through my credit card company. Stay away from this shady business.

Neil Joseph Houston

Do not be fooled by their low prices, the hidden fees and lack of transparency will triple your price and that is before they try to gouge you on pre existing damages and fueling fees long after you have left and brought the car back to defend yourself. Save yourself the trouble and rent with dollar thrify or enterprise , or the crack dealer on the corner.

john Des Plaines, IL

I rented a car from Sixt in Croatia. I had booked it through Expedia. They refused to honor the car category I had booked, offered me a car that could not accommodate 2 suitcases, essentially coercing me to pay extra and get a bigger car. It's a terrible company with unresponsive customer service. Stay away from them. You will pay more because of their deceptive practices

Pam Bridgeton, MO

The worst car rental ever! Our car broke down while on our once in a life time Hawaii vacation, we had to walk over a mile to get back to our place when we were on our way to a luau that we missed and paid over 450 dollars for. To get a replacement took over 4 hours. Customer service was the worst, no one will give you the main customer service number and no one will ever call you back, everything is by email. This was by far the worst company ever, I will never use them again and would never recommend to anyone!

Ali Tupelo, MS

Customer satisfaction is 0, walk in to rent a vehicle at the airport because my plans changed at the last minute, the employee was so rude, over charged me, called and talked to a supervisor, put me on hold for a few minutes and all what he did apologized, they called me back next day and left a voice message that the employee was acting like that because I walked in!!!

Amy Robinson Coatesville, PA

If I could give them zero stars I would. PLEASE do not waste the time. Do not even try to rent with them. It will only make you frustrated and waste your time. We were promised a vehicle for 8 people. Arrived at the airport. Of course not only our vehicle was not there, they had zero to rent us. This at 11pm at night. After I called them several times even the day we arriving to confirm it was there. GO TO ANYONE ELSE NOT HERE!

Neo Massillon, OH

Paid in full in advance to receive best price on SUV. A few weeks later they moved me to a smaller SUV. When I asked for a refund they said no refund. So I'm stuck with a smaller SUV that I didn't agree on renting. Lol dirty business practice. Will never use or recommend sixt. I will be filling a, complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Costumer deception is wrong.

Carl

NEVER NEVER Rent from this company. They are thieves. They manipulate you by offering what appeas to be a standrda rental agreement. BUY, upon return of the vehicle, no one is there to review the vehicle with you. However, days later, you get a bill in your email for damages to the vehicle that were not caused by you. Since you signed the agreement, you must pay for any damages they identify even after you turned in the vehicle.

MSoler Orlando, FL

The worst company ever!!! I booked my rental back in January for a trip on March (last week to Puerto Rico) and they called me less that 24 hours before my flight to tell me that they overbooked and I won't be able to have a car. Not saying that my flight arrived at 1:00 am and at that time is really hard to find a rental and with that short time notice no other company had cars available. They give me a lot of excuses and lies that ends in nothing. No professionalism, no ethics and poor customer service. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!!!

Jason Erie, PA

After booking a flight with a rental I was told the day of pick up that there would be an additional charge for the rental car which I wasn't told about before. After dropping off the car if there was no problems and then all of a sudden two weeks later I get this random charge for a couple hundred dollars will never use this company again and do not recommend it to anyone.

Alex S

This company is slimy. We rented a car back in September for our trip and had a large credit card charge from them in December randomly without warning, communication, or reason. This is dispute and invoice showing the clear charge amount and the car assessment on drop off showing no damage!! When buying insurance through Expedia, they said they do not accept it and they will need a 2k pre-authorization unless you buy thier insurance. Do not trust this company they will milk as much money as they can out of your credit card.

Ryan Adlao Tacoma, WA

Beware I rented a car in Orlando with Sixt thru Expedia package including the insurance but they still insisted to have me get their roadside assistance even though we have AAA membership roadside assistance my first quote was $99 for 5 days upon signing the contract after returning the vehicle they charged me for six days. Asked and emailed the customer service center and only got the “I’m sorry we can’t get the charge out” letter. I wouldn’t recommend this company with their shady business

SERGIO LOPEZ

BEING A SIXT EXPRESS MEMBER ,I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT I WOULD BE TREATED DIFFERENTLY NO WAY I HAVE RENTED ON 4 DIFFERENT Occasions w/o GETING THE CAR TYPE DESPITE HAVING EMAILS OFFERS FOR THESE CARS RENTED MERCEDES IN DALLAS NEVER AVAILABLE ALWAYS GOT THE VOLVO!! MANY PROBLEMS WITH STAFF.NOT RECOMENDED.