Sixt Rent A Car Logo

Sixt Rent A Car

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

7.6

A Geddes

Only Giving this company a 1 star rating as there is nothing lower available!! Went to collect my hire car from Manchester Airport branch UK. Sixt assistant requested driving licence & two proof of address letters. Said I would email them two electronic bank statements with addresses on them. Was then told only paper copies accepted, at no where in the terms & conditions does it state only paper copies accepted. The assistant thought this was highly amusing & could only laugh rather than give any help or solutions. Decided to call Sixt reservation phone number & ask for the rental requirements, was informed electronic copies are sufficient. Still the assistant wouldn't allow me to collect the car. Was then informed by the reservation team to just cancel the booking & then claim it back by using the email address provided. I did all this & then heard no response back from sixt customer services. The only time they contacted me was when I got my credit card company involved. over 9 months later down the line I have now received a letter from a German debt collector company on behalf of Sixt rent a car, claiming I now owe them over 600 euros. The only good experience about this whole process was the customer service provided by Europcar, by being able to supply me with a car within short notice.

Carrie Marionville, MO

This car rental company is horrible. I have multiple complaints concerning their after hour availability and customer service. I reserved a car for my vacation in West Palm Beach. My flight was due to arrive at 10:30 PM but was delayed until after midnight. When I learned that my flight was delayed I attempted to contact them to make arrangements but was unable to reach anyone directly to discuss my problem. The number listed on the website would cut me off when I tried to select the correct extension. Finally I pressed another extension just to speak to anyone and they said "They close at midnight" and hung up on me. The Kia that we rented was a nice vehicle. We have private car insurance so I decided not to get their expensive protection plan. After our vacation we dropped the car off at the sixt rental at 0200 and the their van took us back to the airport. The driver looked over the car and noted that it was fine. 2 weeks later SIXT mails me a damage report claiming that the car had been wrecked. In the letter they provided no information concerning the type of damage. The car had been will cared for and was returned to them without any new damage. I again attempted to contact anyone to inquire and the message selection cuts me off. How do you take care of this?

robin bohbot Dallas, TX

Bait and Switch - Horrible! What company doesn't disclose that there are geographical restrictions when renting a car? My daughter and I planned a trip to the Rocky Mountains and Yellowstone - there was nothing on the website when we made our reservation asking where we would be traveling or disclosing anything about geographical restrictions. We prepaid the reservation and were told, only upon picking up the car, that we couldn't drive past Colorado?? And they would not refund the car rental since it had been prepaid. I had to rent another car for that portion of our trip - so I had to pay for two rental cars (we left the Sixt car at the Hertz rental because we were afraid of the .50 cent per mile penalty). Sixt - if you keep hiding information from your customers you'll soon be out of business. BUYER BEWARE! Stay away!

lawrence nuss Baton Rouge, LA

RENTERS BEWARE OF THIS SCAM BY SIXT!!!!Rented a vehicle from LAX in Dec 2018 and within a day the low tire pressure light came on. I returned the vehicle for an exchange which they were nice enough to upgrade my vehicle. But no one inspected my vehicle at the time of my exchange and nothing was mentioned when I return my vehicle at the end of my trip. Months later I got a bill in the mail for over $250 plus a $50 admin fee to replace the tire. I requested the last five rental return reports to make sure this problem was not noted on a previous rental. Sixt said they could not because it contained private information of previous renters. Without that information, I contended that I could not be sure it was something reported before I rented the car and they just overinflated the tire to get the rental out of the door. This company, who had a stellar reputation, is sticking it's customers with a bait and switch, offering unbelievable rates, then months later sending you an uncontestable bill for an undocumented repair. DO NOT RENT FROM SIXT UNLESS YOU WANT THIS TO HAPPEN T YOU! For a person who travels 10+ times a year I rent cars often but it won't be from SIXT an longer! SIXT RENTERS BEWARE!!!

Navaneeth Nagendra Port Orange, FL

Have been renting cars from a while now but haven’t experienced such a pathetic response from Sixt Rent A Car. It was all exciting to rent a premium car from ATL after so much of formalities in the procedure. I totally understand the availability of the car to what I had actually booked for. Finally with all the bargain, I ended up getting one with lower tyre pressure which was not been checked before backing up at the parking. I had to wait for like a gazillion minutes before they could fix the issue. I did ask for an exchange, but all I got was a cold answer. I ended up taking the vehicle. Over the time the vehicle would wobble and I’d to drive to every gas station to fill up the air. I did call up customer service for the change in car throughout my trip. Finally, I decided to drop the car off and booked the flight tickets to return back home. I had my family with me and I didn’t want to take risk on the road.

Lisa/ Goran Forss Temecula, CA

BEWARE!!! SCAM TO EXTORT MONEY ON DAMAGE CLAIMS!! I wish I would have read reviews BEFORE we thought we received a good deal on a car!! They were convenient because their office was in our hotel in Dallas otherwise we would have went with National where we have Elite level but that was too far away to pick up the car.. I will change my review of the hotel next just because of their affiliation with this company in their lobby and we are the highest level with Marriot. We rented a car and after waiting 30 minutes with only ONE person in front of us ( even they were fuming ). There were 2 people behind the wall and you can hear them talking. Once we finally got their attention only 1 came out to help. Finally another came out and he just worked on his computer. I asked if he could help us and he said he is working on something and as soon as he is done, he would help! What the heck?? 30 minutes later, he never helped and the girl we got was Lazy with a couple L!! Every change she made ( because she made so many errors) we had to wait and the last 2, I just made the changes my self and made her and I initial the change. Finally almost 55 minutes later, we wait for our car. Got the car and was so appalled about how dirty and scratched up it was that I went back in and showed her pictures. She said "no problem, she would make note"...I should have known better based on my initial experience. I only pray they have cameras in that office so when we take action, they will have to produce the cameras and conversation!!!! They came back to us weeks later and billed us for a chip in the window that is right on top of the registration sticker... Based on the previous reviews, I am convinced they leave these cars so dirty so you will not see all the scratches, dents & dings so that when you get back, they clean it really good and go over it with a fine tooth comb to extort money from you! That is what they did with us for sure! Here is the good thing. I took a bunch of pictures of the condition of the car and the license plate and took it in to show her so I still had those. They don't care though.....they did this on purpose now I am sure and if subpeoned... I wonder if they go after person that rents that same car for that same tiny window chip that is impossible to see because it right on top of the sticker especially since they leave the cars so dirty for everyone it seems ( based on reviews here). When something seems to be too Good to Be True....IT IS... I would not even think about renting from this company in the future. And It will be interesting to see the the customer service person respond with the same comment he/she leaves on every review on Yelp .... Don't bother though, I don't believe you will check on anything. and by the way...you keep asking the reviewer to send you the rental agreement and you will look it over... You work there and YOU have a copy!! You are only responding because Yelp encourages the company to respond so your response time is good...you are doing NOTHING to help! Just don't bother!

Brittany Buckner Allen, TX

This is a terrible company. DON'T EVER USE THEM! I booked a car with them through Priceline and was provided with an itinerary clearly indicating free cancellation. There was no fine print and I've looked through everything I was provided with and there is nothing to indicate that I will be charged for cancellation but when I called in six months in advance I went through their difficult automated phone system multiple times before finally getting in touch with impolite customer service reps who repeatedly informed me that I would be charged in order to cancel my reservation. They were extremely unhelpful and rude and refused to honor the free cancellation I had documented from them. THIS COMPANY CAN'T BE TRUSTED!!!

Don Hummel Tucson, AZ

I recently rented a Sixt car in Milan and dropped it off at Malpensa airport. I am a frequent user of rental cars and this was my first experience with Sixt . . . and my last. When I returned the car, I filled it full of fuel just before arriving to the drop off point. The check out at the Sixt drop off point was uneventful and fast and the drop-off representative from Sixt said "everything looks just fine," presented me with an iPad signature page to sign that I had dropped off the car and said the invoice would be mailed to me within a few days. I received the invoice a few days later with a charge of 62 Euros for fuel. I wrote them back explaining that the car was returned full of fuel, but then they presented me with an electronic drop off report that showed the fuel at 4/8 full and my signature at the bottom. This was the first time I had seen this report as they only present you with a signature page when you drop it off. I wrote them back explaining that this must be an error, I had not seen this report and that they should check with their own personnel to confirm that they did not have to refuel my rental car. They simply sent me a reply back saying they would not adjust my invoice and a copy of their terms and conditions. This is a typical rental car company SCAM that you would expect from a fly-by-night rental car agency. I thought Sixt was better than that but I was obviously wrong! My advice - AVOID SIXT!!

angie neal Green Bay, WI

Terrible customer service. Couldn't pay online due to "issues with their sytsem" so had to pay at counter. When invoice was billed, they pulled DOUBLE what was agreed upon. Had have my husband call to give permission for me to settle the bill (even though we're married!), and have vehicle fuel fee of $200 removed. Customer service hung up on me at end of call. NEVER AGAIN

Tan Valparaiso, IN

Please don't ever use this company. I've been renting at other companies for years and this has never happened to me. I went to get my rental on Saturday evening on 03/09/2019, upon coming to get the vehicle I noticed there were some scratches around and lots hail damaged that hadn't been recorded, I took some video and pictures of those and notice them. When I returned the vehicle on next Monday morning, I was told the windshield had a small crack that I didn’t noticed. I mentioned there were No any accident happened to me and it should come from previous hail damage. later I receive an email stating I did damage to the vehicle and I must pay to repair cost plus additional 2-day rental fee during repair…. Please stay away from this company, If I had done the damage, I would have paid it but I didn't do it and it's not fair. That damage was there I just didn’t notice this one. They should not offer you a car with so many previous damages.

Mike F

SCAM, SCAM, SCAM!!! The worst company I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH! First they gave me a car that was trashed and dirty from the inside out. I then waited another hour for a replacement that was a totally different car. They forget about me at one moment and the girl asked again for my paperwork. At first they were about to give me a car with a cracked front windshield and then chose to change it out at the last minute. Then they gave me one with a "service required" light on. Not really friendly and had to bring the second car back half way through the vacation. This took me out of my way and waste of part of my day. That again took a while to get the new car. On my way back with the second car a rock hit my windshield and they are now claiming me to pay over $1,000 in damage and expect for me to send my credit card info through the mail. They are not friendly on the phone and just want your money. Oh and they are also claiming a couple days of coverage for not using the car while it was being repaired. There is also a disclaimer at the bottom that tells you that you may have to pay even more and it is only an estimate. This company can go back to Europe and stay there. All the way from customer service, quality of cars to the company itself being a scam. If you knick the car they will get you for it apparently. What a joke! Myself or anyone in my family will never use this HORRIBLE rental car company ever again. They lure you in with nice cars and expect for you to deal with one that also has tons of scratches and dents on it. I've never posted a "negative" review but that starts now. Don't ever rent from them and never trust their service and cars. DON'T RENT HERE!!!

Eddie Alameda, CA

Travelled to Dubrovnik and rented a car from Sixt for 3 days and told Doris the company representative I will be travelling Mostar for a day and need permit which will cost about 9 euros, but have charged me for 3 days which translate about $41.32 at the end of 3 days rental. To start with, they gave me a car with a Flat Tire icon orange on, I did ask the guy who turn over the car what is the PSI on the tire so I can go right away and put air by myself but the guy answered "no idea how much air". The car was not in best clean condition because the wind shield obviously not properly clear with traces of some haze smear from the inside glass and have to clean it myself again. On the day I have returned the car the inspector guy noticed a scalpel scratch on the passenger side and told me that there is a scratch about 5 cm, I checked it myself it is almost unnoticeable since its a scalpel scratch and its only 1.5 cm. People from this SIXT Company is starting to scam us and my brother started to get mad and getting intense argument with the inspector because they were trying to charge us saying the repair of that scratch is costly. Only if I have paint scratch remover I could have rubbed it for 10 seconds and it will be gone. After we agreed that the 1.5 cm scalpel scratch is minute issue they say they will not push with charged instead asking for us to make a good review. I have not signed any documents acknowledging about the scratch and they cleared us to go. We shook hands and we're gone. After 3 days, I saw charge from this SIXT Car Rental Company charging my credit card for $1,360.84 !!!!!!!! STAY AWAY from this rental company. I have a full car protection insurance plan from RENTALCARS company so any claims should not be a problem in the first place but the trouble is this Sixt car rental company is obviously not a reputable company and the people run it are scammers. I will not tolerate people or company that will take advantage me or other people. I stand for the truth, honesty and fairness.

Jeremy Elizabeth, CO

Let me start by saying this will be my last rental experience with SIXT. I recently rented a car to drive from San Diego to San Francisco. The trip went great and the car was just fine. Unfortunately 200ish miles into our 550 mile drive the tire presure light came on the dash. I put $1 worth of air in it and had a worried free rest of my trip. When returning the car I made sure to let the greater know the tire had lost some air so that the next person that received the car did not have the same issue. No big deal. Then over 90 days later i received an bill for $240 for a replacement tire. I called and was informed I denied the Loss Damage coverage considering I have my own insurance that would cover any major damage if it were to happen. And I told them I would no questions asked pay for the damages if they could show me proof of a damaged tire, and they continued to tell me they have pictures of the low tire presure light on the dash. I would gladly pay for the tire if they have a picture or anything confirming I caused the damage but charging me for low tire presure is unacceptable business practice and i am defently feeling scammed and taken advantage of! So if renting from them, purchase the damage coverage or expect to get scammed and billed for something as unreasonable as low tire presure! Sincerely Jeremy

CJR Houston, TX

Stay away from this rental company! I turned their insurance coverage. Rented a car in Colorado, upon return they noted a scratch on the driver side front fender. Pretty obvious that it was caused by the car door of someone who parked next to me. A month later I receive a bill from them for damages costing almost $600 to fix the scratch, which is interestingly about what the insurance coverage would have cost me. Part of the cost for damages was a diminution fee. After talking with their claims agent I found out that this fee was their estimate of how much this repair lowered the value of the car. Mind you there wasn't a ding or dent, just a paint scratch. In all my years of renting cars, I've never had a car rental company do this. This was my first time renting from them and it will be my last. So treat this as a warning if you do business with them.

Karin Weber Northborough, MA

Scammers. I had rented a car online at the Salzburg Airport, a small station wagon to accommodate my mother's wheelchair. When I got there, I was told they had no station wagons, the only car they had that would work for a wheelchair was brand-new and twice as expensive. They charged me the full rate for this car even though they didn't what I had requested but at that point I was stuck. When I brought the car back early in the morning on my departure date, no one was there to inspect the car. I had been told just to drop the keys in the box. Several days later I get an email demanding almost 1800 Euros for damages. I did not cause any damages, and did not see any damages when I left the car. Stupidly, I didn't take pictures. I have offered to settle the matter even though it feels like extortion, but they are still demanding the money. I have tried to reach out to a manager but get the same cold reaction. My cousin just told me she had a similar experience in Spain. I will have to get a lawyer without even knowing if that will work. Completely unethical, unpleasant scammers and extortionists.

Davely Aurora, CO

Please don't ever use this company. I've been renting at other companies for years and this has never happened to me. I went to get my rental on Wednesday morning, upon coming to get the vehicle I noticed there were scratches all around that hadn't been recorded, I took video and pictures of those and called Sophie to come help me. When I got inside the car I noticed the tire pressure light on and she had someone inspect it, turns out the tire had a nail and I had to wait for them to get me a new vehicle. They upgraded me to a luxury vehicle, I shouldn't have accepted. I just wanted to get out of there and this time to my mistake I didn't take pictures of video of the vehicle. When I returned the vehicle I was told everything was ok and that they would email me my invoice. 4 days later I receive an email stating I did damage to the vehicle. I did no such thing. I don't understand why when I was standing there the girl that closed out my deal didn't go over the damage with me. I'm appalled by this because I took care of this vehicle, I parked far away and drove careful but now I get an email stating I must pay for damage I didn't do. Please stay away from this company, I've been trying to reach the branch and people keep giving me numbers to call and I just get connected to someone else but no one from the branch. If I had done the Damage I would of paid it but I didn't do it and it's not fair. I thought everything was fine only to find out it isn't. I almost booked a car with them for my trip to Mexico but I'm never using them again and neither should you. That damage was there and I thought Sophie had recorded and she didn’t

Laura Santee, CA

Rented a car through them in Iceland last year and had no issues. Polite staff, walk around vehicle to inspect before and after rental to assess any damage, great experience. Fast forward to this year. Picked up our keys with an agent when we arrived in Palermo. Took the full coverage insurance. Was directed to go out to the lot to retrieve our vehicle. NO ONE was there to do an inspection to note damage to the vehicle. We took pictures (with date/time stamp) of obvious damage to the passenger side and walked back into the airport to the agent. We showed her the pictures and she said DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. We kept the pictures and went about our trip. Turned in our keys at the airport at the key drop, because , again NO ONE was there to look over the vehicle when we returned. Now a week later, we get an e-mail claiming damage incurred to the passenger side of the vehicle, THE SAME DAMAGE WE TOOK PICTURES OF AT THE START OF THE TRIP! I have submitted the photos with time/date stamp and am now waiting for them to "investigate". SCAM artists trying to line their pockets for damages that they may have already collected on!!! STAY AWAY, STAY FAR AWAY! Pay the extra for a reputable company!

Stan Lin Anaheim, CA

CAUTION! Stay away from Sixt!!! This was my first (and LAST) experience with Sixt and I thought I could at least do my part in informing others before they trust this company. 1) Upon picking up the car, we were told to look around the car ourselves and that we would have to file a report to their company if we were to find anything, which is out of the ordinary and shouldn't be our responsibility. Sixt should be responsible of filing that information if anything was found. 2) The car was dirty to begin with so it was difficult to see if there were any damages. 3) They offered insurance in the amount of 900euros which we declined. I've had many experiences with rental companies and they never presented the car insurance in this way. 4) When we returned the car it was early in the morning so nobody was there to check. 5) 2 days later, they sent a damage report with really bad bumper damage on both sides, which was impossible that it had been from my driving. 6) They said the repair would cost 908.55euros (suspiciously close to the insurance amount offered???) 7) I refused to pay as I was sure the damage was not caused by me, and they've been sending collection agents after me since then. DO NOT RENT CARS FROM SIXT!!!!!

ANNOYEDCONSUMER Pompano Beach, FL

DON'T DO IT! I booked a car to rent from them in Januray for April. After reading horrible reviews, I decided to cancel the trip less than 24 hours after booking. I asked for a refund and was denied. I went to my bank and disputed the charged, after week my bank comes back and denies the charge back. Then I reached out to Sixt again and finally got a refund. BUT IT DIDN'T STOP THERE! Now Sixt is saying I owe them almost $200 for renting a car. They are explaining that the "charge back was not in our favor" and want me to pay. ONE I DIDN'T RENT A CAR AND TWO WHEN I CALLED MY BACK THEY SAID THE FUNDS WERE NOT PULLED. SCAM COMPANY! STAY AWAY!

Mark Pettican

I have only given sixt one star simply because there is no minus option. you don't get what you've booked and paid for even when I phoned 4 weeks before the hire to confirm. when i asked why i wasn't getting what i booked 6 months before i was told the vehicle type was not available the young lady was embarrassed, but her manager made sure i did not receive what i had book and proceeded to tell me a pack of lies. this start our US road trip on a sour note. over the next 10 years we intend covering every state in the US so many road trips to go, but I WILL NEVER hire another vehicle from sixt and i will personally go out of my way to tell whoever wants to listen NOT to hire from sixt. My last advice is not to bother wasting time calling sixt to complain as they have the cold shoulder routine of to an art so don't waste your time or money. lastly sixt if you do not like what i have to say my name is Mark Pettican and i picked up a vehicle from you in Atlanta Dec 28th 2018. I will be more than happy to express my disappointment in coming across your company and some NOT all it your rude staff

Gladys Clark Kingston, NH

Back in December on our vaction, SIXT debited both our Credit Card and Bank Card for a rental. Once we noticed it they claim they had credited our Credit Card. The Card # they claim they credited was not ours. After a month of fighting, our Credit Card company investigated and had them credit us. A month after they debited our Bank Card for $30. for tolls, which totaled 11.60. Fine, I had had enough of talking with them. NOW 2 months later, another $11.60 and they won't talk to me, only my husband. No email, no invoice, just another debit! We have rented from them for years......NO MORE!

Linds B

Horrible. We were going to rent a car in Mexico City at the airport to traverse outside the city to historic cites. Cheap reservation rate, however, we were expected to pay a $1000 USD deposit for our rental - which is exorbitant by any standard (and my husband and I have rented A LOT of cars in our travels). I am not sure why they would be advocated for by large travel sites like expedia with such a terrible rating. Further, they did not even have the ability to process our credit card on site (which seemed odd and slightly strange). We could not pick up our car as we simply didn't have $1000 USD (or more like $1300 CAD) to spare/hold for this reservation. Looks like we lost our deposit/reservation fee (lucky for Sixt - they get to make money without actually doing anything...good scam) I would NEVER recommend this car rental agency to anyone or even think of renting with them in the future...I would sooner ride of the back of a donkey, saving time and money.

Jenna Schweigert Sainte Genevieve, MO

HORRIBLE service. We prepaid for a front wheel drive vehicle, as we were heading into the mountains of Colorado during the peak of the winter season with snow storms predicted. They gave us a Chrysler 300 and the employee told us it was all wheel drive with weather sensors and controls. She said she had a Chrysler 300 as well, and that they are the best in bad weather. We trusted her word (shame on us - cant trust anyone these days) and that fact that we prepaid for at least a front wheel drive vehicle. We drove out to Winter Park, and the next morning our vehicle got stuck while trying to back up on snow. We ran the VIN# through Chrysler's website and sure enough, the vehicle was rear wheel drive only. There are some 300 models that have all wheel drive, but this model was not one of them. We contacted Sixt that morning and didn't hear back until 6 pm with a voicemail saying they would give us 15% off and that we didn't have to fill up the gas tank at arrival. Not helpful to our situation as we were heading even further into the mountains and winter storm the next day. We ended up having to rent from a local car rental place, and luckily the owner of that company was sooo incredibly nice. She drove 40 mins in the snow to give us keys to an all wheel drive vehicle that we used the remainder of our trip. We let the Sixt vehicle sit (using hardly any gas). We did have to pay for the new rental of course, so after our trip was over we contacted Sixt again to see if we could have an additional refund to cover the out of pocket we spent on the second rental. We never got a response from them, and today we saw the 15% refund. I'm furious with the company who lied to us, put our lives in danger driving in the mountains on ice and snow while we still believed the vehicle had all wheel drive, and who won't acknowledge their mistake with a more reasonable solution. We will never recommend this place, we will avoid this company entirely in the future. Pay the extra and go with a more reputable company. Believe the poor reviews you read about this place and go elsewhere. I have never left bad reviews for any company before but this place warrants it.

Mehrdad N Tustin, CA

Horrible company. Don't even go near them. We rented a premium/luxury car from them. picked up from Munich airport on Oct. 22, 2018 and dropped off on Oct. 31, 2018. During this trip we just passed through Austria, drove to Verona, Siena, Florence, Venice, in Italy and passed through Austria again and visited few places in Germany until we returned. Pick up process was horrible. There was a huge line at check in counter. Luckily, I had provided all needed information via web checkin and could skip waiting in line just to check in. But after that, there was another huge line to pick a vehicle and get the keys. Ridiculous process. We picked up a BMW i530, fully loaded. Nice car. On our way to Italy, we had to stop at a toll station in Austria and pay a bit less than 10 euro toll. There were tolls in Italy too (i.e. Austrian border to Verona ~ 23 euro). The same process on the way back to Germany on Oct. 26. We paid Italy toll (Venice to Austrian border ~ 26 euro) and for passing through Austria from Italy to Germany ( ~ 9.5 euro). Returning the rental car process was a bit better. However, they don't inspect the car while you are there claiming that they are backed up. They want you to leave the keys and just leave. So you are not sure if they will charge you for anything until later. On Nov. 28, 2018, I received an email from Sixt (fines division) that they have charged my credit card for a fine plus 25 euro processing fee for the total of 145 euro. They attached a copy of the fine but they did not explain what it was for! It was all in German but I could see it was from Austria!! I sent it to my friends in Germany and they replied back explaining that the fine was not any speeding or moving violation. It was issued because we did not have a sticker/permit to drive in Austria. Evidently, all cars, even those passing through Austria need to have a permit. Sixt calls it Toll which is absolutely incorrect. It's not a toll. We paid the toll at toll stations. It is a permit which can be bought for 1 day or annually! People stop at gas stations in Germany or Italy before entering Austria to buy this (what I was told). So, as tourists we had no clue. They did not even say a word to us at the toll stations in Austria neither. This is an Austrian government scam to steal money from travelers! Well, Sixt is in it with them too. They said nothing about this and they call it a toll just to make it look like you are responsible for it. It is a permit and should be purchased by the registered owner! At least, they could mention something about it in many pages of rules and regulations they sent to me with the contract. Sixt included info about what zones and countries and what classes of vehicles could be driven where, all other details but nothing about having to purchase a sticker from a darn gas stations before entering Austria. They claim it is posted on the road IN GERMAN! They make processing fees out of your pocket on something that they are responsible for as the registered owner. Bunch of THIEVES! Plus, Sixt has no right to pay a fine on my behalf. They can forward the fine to me and I deal with the issuing agency. The fine should be dealt with by myself if it is in fact my fine. I should be given a chance to fight/dispute it. Also, Sixt MUST provide a proof of payment if they actually paid the fine. They can’t just charge me and claim that they paid it! I emphasize again that as registered owner, Sixt is directly responsible for this permit and any fines that lack of having it may cause. Or at least, they must inform customers of this and include information about this permit in the contract. I am a Hertz Five Star member. I should have never gone close to Sixt just to save a few euros. Be careful everyone. Stay away from Sixt!

Kristina Phillippe Porter, TX

If I could give ZERO stars, I would. I am starting to think this company is a huge SCAM. First of all, you cannot speak to anyone to resolve issues. We had the EXACT same experience as everyone else leaving reviews about the unknown huge deposit and being told your car was brand new, yet finding issues with them. So, we paid it, because you have no choice once they have you in that vulnerable position at the counter, after waiting for 30+ minutes in line. Our issue has started now that it's time to charge us for our rental. As of yesterday, they charged my card TWICE for the same amount and same transaction. I call the number to the Denver office and explain the issue. The girl tells me she only shows ONE charge and I need to email customer service with screenshots and they will reach out by email when there is resolution. Well, I wake up today and check my Capitol One account and there is a THIRD CHARGE for the same transaction and same amount with yesterday's date. So, of course I screenshot and email again with no way to speak to an actual person. I guess I am going to have to call Capital One and file fraudulent charges on them if they aren't going to rectify the situation. I do not recommend this company at all, regardless of how nice the vehicles they rent are. My husband travels Monday-Friday every single week and he deals with rental car companies constantly but we thought we'd try this company because it rented such nice vehicles at such a reasonable rate. Well, the old cliche of you get what you pay for is seriously at play with this company. It's starting to appear that they have this fleet of expensive vehicles to rent at a lower cost because they are literally stealing money out of people's credit card accounts. COME ON SIXT...really? **EDIT** The VERY next day I checked my account to see if the charges had been removed and guess what? They charged my card a THIRD time for the same transaction and still have not responded. I called my credit card company to dispute the charges. RUN AWAY FROM SIXT RENT A CAR. THEY ARE THIEVES. **SECOND EDIT 11/21/18** Someone finally responded day before yesterday via email and, of course, apologized. As of today, I check my statement and only ONE of the TWO duplicate charges has been removed. There is still an extra charge for the same amount on my credit card. I never imagined dealing with a car rental company would be so difficult. BE VERY CAUTIOUS BEFORE CHOOSING TO DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY AND IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO GET IT BACK. It's been over a week and I STILL do not have all of money back.

Phil Dallas, TX

Ladies and gentlemen, beware! I recently rented from SixT in Keflavik and am fortunate to still be wearing my shirt. Believe me when I write, this disorganized rental car company is out to belittle you and swindle you in the worst way possible. My girlfriend and I were exhausted after our eight-hour journey from the States to Iceland. When we arrived, we took our number (411) and noticed a sign on the wall with SixT wifi network name and password. We took a seat. The next number to be called was 303. ****. The wifi network did not work. ****. After biding our time, they finally my number, and I walked up to the desk where I met the SixT attendant. She stated that we would have to pay somewhere around 500 euro for the car. This was my second time to Europe, so I asked her simply for the euro to dollar conversion. She said, “look it up yourself.” I explained to her that the wifi network did not work. Then she grabbed a rock from her desk, which had a different wifi network name and password underneath. I attempted this access this network with no success and explained this to the attendant. This time she said, “well, I guess you’ll have to look it up when you go home.” I noticed that she was texting someone on her phone as she was talking to me and couldn’t help but wonder why she could not simply look up the conversion from euros to dollars, so that I could calculate how much I would pay for my rental vehicle. After asking around, someone finally told me the conversion. Given the dearth of cars in Keflavik, I had no choice – I unfortunately had to rent from SixT. My girlfriend and I went out to examine the car. There was damage to the underside of the bumper of the vehicle (by the way, this is damage that anyone could have easily missed). We tried to show the attendant this damage, but she simply blew us off and told us to take pictures. She did not bother to inspect the car. Let this be a lesson to everyone, always take copious pictures of the car you are renting, particularly if you make the mistake of renting from SixT like I did. This becomes particularly important later in my story. Fast forward 5 days. My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Iceland; everyone, not at SixT rental car company was so kind to us. We drove back to SixT to return our car. There was the same attendant, who will enter back into the story soon. At first, we returned our car with another attendant. He inspected the vehicle and pointed out the damage to the underside of the bumper. Had it not been for the pictures we took, I swear these guys would have charged us for a new car. Be careful people. This attendant told us that I signed a contract for limited mileage of 600 kilometers or something - the original attendant never explained this policy at all, and she very well may have pulled 600 kilometers out of thin air when she put it in the policy. We, of course, drove way more than this, and so the new attendant brought the original attendant over to reconcile this issue. We pointed out that she never explained this policy to us and that she never explained the costs associated with limited mileage vs. unlimited mileage. To this the original attendant said, “I did; I never miss this; it’s his word against mine. No one else was around.” At this point, I asked for the manager. The manager came over; the new attendant left; and now we were talking to the original attendant and manager. The manager first said that we would have to pay for the excess mileage in our limited mileage policy. We told him that nothing was explained to us; from the beginning, we were blown off. Had we known that there was a limited mileage policy, we obviously would have taken pictures of the odometer before driving the car. By the way, if you do rent a car, make sure you do this. The original attendant did not even inspect the car with us and could have written any mileage she wanted to on the contract. After we explained this to him, he said to charge us under the unlimited mileage policy. None of these policies were explained at all to me when I rented the car, but under the unlimited mileage policy, I was asked to pay 100 something euros vs. 300 euros in the limited mileage policy. As all of this was being settled, the original attendant told me multiple times that “I could complain” and “get her fired.” I know that I can complain – hence this review – but I have no intention of getting anyone fired, and I did not appreciate at all being made to feel that my discontent with how I was handled would result someone’s job loss. So now I will summarize SixT rental car company for you using six words: disorganized, condescending, unhelpful, negligent, chaotic, dishonest. Best wishes on your future travel. Do not let these types of experiences, should you have them, color your journey.

Kerry Constantine Fort Myers, FL

On a Saturday night in February 2018 we rented a car in San Francisco and drove about 2 hours north. On Sunday morning we got a flat tire and called Sixt and they sent Chevy roadside assistance to change the tire. Unfortunately the car only had a donut, the tire was not repairable and there was no way it would make it back to San Francisco with the donut so we were told to replace the tire and save the receipt and we would be reimbursed. Of course that never happened and we have spoken to countless staff. My recommendation is to rent from another company with more locations and one that will actually help you in there is car trouble. You don't want to be stuck funding this company's repair bills.

Zarou New Orleans, LA

I booked a car with SiXT at Curacao airport for 23:00 hrs. I got a confirmation for my reservation and I had included my flight arrival details (AA arriving at 10:45pm). It was included in my reservation confirmation. I've rented cars at that airport many times (never with SiXT) and the other agencies have made it a point to wait for the customers coming off that flight (from Miami). On arrival at the desk at 11:10 pm I found that the booth was closed. The agent had left at the dot of 11pm. I had to take a taxi (USD45.00) to my hotel even though the whole purpose of renting at the airport was to avoid this. Imagine if you are a first-time visitor! The following day, I called SiXT and they came to pick me up but they would not even change the rental duration because it was a "pre-paid" rate. Subsequent attempts with SiXT customer "dis-service" resulted in different reservation agents just copying and pasting parts of the rental agreement and then even not bothering to reply to my emails. Basically they said that the closing hours were stated as 11pm and even though their system allowed me to reserve for 11pm they couldn't do anything about it. Other websites will tell you they can't book if it is on the closing time at the location. SiXT doesn't. The agent for Budget/Alamo for example told me that they close at 11pm but he was still waiting for his two clients to come out. My advice would be: Don't rent from SiXT and if you do, 2) Don't fall into the trap of renting their pre-paid rates and get them to confirm that they will be waiting for you even if it is after 11pm. I doubt if they will do that so better stir away from them.

Hassan Morcel

SIXT RENT A CAR Booked for a car 25 days prior to departure with sixt rent a car in Basel French side 5 days prior to departure i called to find out the possibility confirming car type as p i booked Mercedes E class They have informed me that they can not guarantee car type but would offer me a car in the same category an asked me for my reservation details once i have given them the reservation # they have informed me that my reservation was cancelled, i was chocked to hear and they accuse me for cancelling the booking online they however said we can rebook the car for you ask the same condition and rates which they have done and i have received an email with reservation details 27th July flew to paris and then took the Train to basel to pick up our car and proceed with our journey once i got to Basel french side at hertz counter they chocked me a gain and said that my booking was cancelled and they had no car to give me, a terrifying moment travelling with my two young children 4, 9 and my todler a year old were at basel airport with no car to pick to carry our holiday and staff had nothing say but we are sorry sir it is a Sunday and we dont have even a number of a manger to call and you are black listed I had no choice but to start speaking to other rent a car company for two hours where none would rent a car for us with no previous reservations i then spend 30 minutes online with my mobile and the week internet basel airport offers until i have a car from hertz which was last minute double the price I then emailed Sixt to enquire what has happened and why my booking was cancelled i got a rely few days later and they have accused me for canceling the booking my self via an application and when i enquired about the date they have given me 27th of July which was the actual date when i first left home on air France flight an had no internet what so ever DO not Trust SIXT rent a car as this will happen to you one day

Darius Seredzinski

Hi, I would like to share my experience with sixt rental car. Avoid this company at any cost. My flight was delayed about an hour when I get to rental desk lady in charge told me she don't have any car for me because I'm late. And she said we have car for you unless I pay another 200EUR again for same booking. Yes I've been put this situation on my holiday before Christmas I have to pay again for same booking. Lady on charge said "you pay" or we "we cancel". So I end up paying twice for same booking even when I provide my flight number. I feel very angry and ripped off about this. Avoid them... This is ripped off company

eliezer valladares

Do not pre pay. At the booth guy before us got his reservation canceled that should’ve been the red flag to run away.

Rachel Magin Albany, NY

Sixt is a scam of a company. They make you pay for false damages and then don’t make the repairs. Don’t use them!

Lottielyn Schwenke Orlando, FL

I used Sixt for the first time on a work trip to Minnesota. They were great, easy to use, and upgraded my car to an SUV with no problem as I was not comfortable to drive in snow.

Joanna Hester Gilbert, AZ

When I was searching for a rental car, I found a great price on Sixt. However, I was reluctant because I had never heard of them before. I decided to give it a try and got a full size car at a great rate. Their kiosk was a little hard to find at the airport rental car facility, but was well worth it.

Joshua McAfee ,

Terrible experience. Didn’t have the Mercedes I booked and paid for so they gave me a jeep for the same cost. Seriously. Then it broke down the next day and they wouldn’t come out to fix it because they said I didn’t have roadside assistance and hung up on me. Do not ever rent here..

Hahn Los Angeles, CA

The customer service at Sixt Rental is non existent beyond the kiosk. All if the vehicles have preexisting damageS which they are aware of but dont repair. Tried to communicate with them through email and received an unpleasant unprofessional response 30 days later. They rent cars thats it! No customer service, care ir concern beyond the basic rental. Rude as well. And it tajes approximately 30 days to receive a response. The wait time on the phone is totally unacceptable. The corporate boobs are a waste of time and energy. There is NO customer service.

Todd Manes Denver, CO

Did not have the type of car I reserved. Billed me for a vehicle I was never in. Billed me for days I did NOT have the car. Nearly impossible to get ahold of customer service (which is a joke anyway - Sixt can't spell customer service). Billing department not open on weekends. Stay far away from Sixt. I will have a huge smile on my face the day I hear of them declaring bankruptcy.

Debbie Stratos Wellsville, OH

I was a returning customer having an average experience the first time. Thought maybe it was just the location, so decided to give them another try. Made a reservation, then Covid hit. Ended up having to cancel the trip due to Covid quarantine. Unable to get any response from customer service. Email after email went unanswered. I was fully charged for the rental that never happened. Never had such an awful response (no response) from a company. Airline and hotel were extremely accommodating, but Sixt....crickets. I would never use or recommend this company to anyone.

mccord Easton, PA

Rented car a hundred times, never burnt like i have been by this company. Did not see the fine print they only allowed 160 miles on a 4 day rental. Now what should have been a 120.00rental at all the other car counters, turned into 400.00. They got me, and they never will again, as well i going to post this same review anywhere and ever-were. Run from there counter, don't drive!!.

SANDRA CANNON Chico, CA

I rented a car in Phoenix airport paid in full at least a month before but I had to cancel because the rioters started up. I am a retired fire fighter that is disabled and 66yrs old and I did not feel safe. I cancelled 10 days in advance and they charged me $101 or a $169 rental. This was not my fault and they should have charged me alot less. If you pay in advance they charge you that much DO NOT RENT HERE

A Thieme Rochester, NY

DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY. Would give zero stars if that was option. Sixt charging me for pre-existing damage to vehicle. I did everything I was supposed to upon rental: inspected vehicle, made sure all pre-existing damage was recorded. They did not provide paper receipt. Said updated damage report would be sent to my email. MY MISTAKE for not getting a paper receipt. Email NEVER came. FRAUDULENT business practices. You have been warned.

willie nash Walthamstow, WFT

They are a bunch of scam artists. I rented a Luton van with a tail lift. When I returned the van they claimed I scratched the underside of the tail lift. This is the part of the vehicle that lays down on the ground so you can roll your loads onto it to lift it up to the truck. It is in regular contact with the ground. This is akin to them accusing me of getting a pebble stuck in the tire treads. They are now trying to charge me 1000 GBP for the "damage". I know of three other people that have similar situations. I will never use this company again, nor should you.

Rose Smith Coos Bay, OR

The rental car process was fine and the car was clean and nice. The reason why I am giving them a 1 is because the charged me twice. It has been almost 4 weeks now and I still have not been refunded the extra charge of $118.22. No one can tell me what the charge is for. They do not have record of the extra charge but both have been charged to my credit card. I do not calls back or emails. You cannot reach customer service by phone and they do not answer your emails. You have to wait for over 15 minutes to get a hold of someone at the Phoenix Airport location

Samira Roberts Atlanta, GA

They wouldn’t let us use the rental in certain states (even though the website says UNLIMITED MILEAGE) and after I cancelled it that’s when everything went down the drain. They charged me card AGAIN DAYS after I canceled my rental and they didn’t not give me a full refund like I was promised . It’s WAYYYY too much back and forth with these people. Horrible customer service !!

Joan Rochester, NY

DO NOT RENT FROM SIXT. This company is more than awful. They are screwing over hundreds of loyal customers as they have refused to offer refunds to prepaid rental customers during the COVID-19 pandemic!!! I would rather pay hundreds more to any other company - please I implore you - do NOT give this rental company any future business!!! The customer service is non-existent. I will never never never rent from them again. Customer service is horrible.

Gwen Schenectady, NY

In the midst of the Coronavirus, I tried to just cancel my reservation because I'm from NY and most likely exposed plus the parks in Florida were all closed which was the reason we were going. They refused to give a refund citing no travel ban..even though it would have been irresponsible for me to travel. Not knowing when I could reschedule my vacation I wanted to cancel.

Trina Gaines Houston, TX

Worst experience ever! I have rented many cars. This was my first time getting scammed. We returned the car and days later, the company sent an email reporting a dent...not visible to the naked eye. I literally needed a magnifying glass to see the dent. There was no dent!!! They threatened action if they weren’t paid $450. If you have money to throw away, then by all means, rent from this company. If I could give it 0 stars, I would.

Brandon Baker Temple, TX

Sixt did not hold my reservation specifically for a car, not an SUV. When I arrived they only had SUV's and one car. I requested a car for ease of parking in downtown. In order to leave in the smaller car size I reserved they charged me $27 extra per day! The customer service employee said that I should have just taken the SUV, and since they offered and SUV they are not obligated to compensate for the difference. SIXT will not hold your reservation and will not make things right when they fail on their end.

WhatsRight Cleveland, OH

Just like so many others, we were victims of fraud. They have a bogus damage certificate & even sent pictures of an obviously different vehicle. Avoid this company. Reading from others here, it’s just like what happened to us at Miami airport. It sounds like their strategy is to put pressure on inexperienced people, and hope they pay. Don’t give in

Greg M St Louis, MO

Check in process was ridiculous and timely. No one in line however the system was not working and once getting checked in, the card reader would not work and I had to do the whole process again. We did end up with a broken windshield and I was charged two days "loss of use" we all know a windshield takes two hours at most to replace. No wonder our insurance rates sky rocket as these companies charge more than they need to. I also see Sixt has their own insurance coverage for loss so why am I being charged. SIXT owes me one day "loss of use" and I will never rent from them again.