SIXT started out with three locations and grew into an international company with locations throughout the United States. Currently, the company is present in 105 countries across the globe with over 2,000 branch locations. SIXT purchases more than 200,000 vehicles annually and owns the world's largest fleet of premium German cars.

The Good

• Vehicle Types
  • Price Range
  • Toll Prepay Option
  • Online Check-In

Vehicle Types

The SIXT vehicle fleet hosts models from German favorites like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi. Vehicle types include:

• Convertibles
  • Luxury cars
  • Minivans
  • SUVs
  • Passenger vans

Price Range

SIXT offers vehicles ranging in average prices in the car rental industry. While the prices are not necessarily low, SIXT's car selection is of a higher quality than many economy budget car rentals. The car make and models are newer and more modern so if that is important to you then the average cost is more than worth paying. Regardless of the price listed for a car, though, SIXT boasts a Best Price Guarantee.

Toll Prepay Option

A very convenient feature is the ability to order toll passes through the company's website. Having a toll pass makes your commute easier when you travel. This comes as part of the online check-in.

Online Check-In

You can check in your car from SIXT's website instead of the rental counter using one of two options: the online check-in portal via the website or the on-site terminal. After you sign in and check in with your reservation number, you go to SIXT's express counter and swap your signature for the car keys. For the terminal option, follow these steps:

1. Insert your Sixt Express Card or credit card into the terminal.
  2. The terminal detects your card automatically and shows you the reservation. You also have the option of booking extras at this point, such as winter tires.
  3. Select your car out of three vehicle options.
  4. Confirm the booking details and print your rental agreement.
  5. Open the safe and take the vehicle keys.

This makes checking in easy and fast and eliminates the issue of long lines that you get with other car rental companies.

The Bad

• Limited U.S. Availability
  • No Instant Return
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

Limited U.S. Availability

SIXT has rental car locations in 15 states, so your options are limited in the United States. Sixt has rental counters at some major airports throughout North America, but not as many as some competitors. For instance, most rental companies have counters at JFK, LaGuardia, or Newark airports in the New York City area and SIXT does not. On the plus side, SIXT is worldwide, so it is likely to cover your international travel needs.

No Instant Return

SIXT lacks an instant return option where you can leave the car with the keys inside. You must return the vehicle to a rental office (or other identified location) on the date and time specified in your rental agreement.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

SIXT does not offer discounts for fueling your vehicle on-site. If a customer returns the car low on gas, SIXT charges a $50 fee.

The Bottom Line

If you're itching to try out a new or luxury car, look no further than SIXT. With quick check-in, no hidden costs, and free cancellation, SIXT is all about convenience. However, the company is not readily available throughout North America, especially in smaller states and cities.

1.3

Michael
September 13th, 2019 Atherton, CA

Run, don't walk! Made a reservation over Internet and upon arrival to Madrid Airport they didn't want to allow us to use the insurance provided by our credit card because they said we had to decline their insurance upon reservation - but they don't provide any way to decline it. We walked away and rented from a different company - Eurocar. Then Sixt charged our card for $330 and lied to the credit card company that we actually rented the car from them, so now we have to spend a lot of time to dispute it!

Brown Adams
September 11th, 2019 Dallas, TX DETAILS

I experienced poor customer service at the Dallas/Addison Marriott Quorum by the Galleria location. Two ladies working at the front desk have the worst attitude by an employee, they were rolling their eyes and basically not interested in serving me. They gave me the wrong information which made me waste a whole hour running around, just plain incompetent and unaware of the job duties. Fake plastic smiles, no courtesy whatsoever.

laura o
September 9th, 2019 Sayreville, NJ DETAILS

Just be informed that if you dont take out extra insurance and you get a flat tire you will have to pay for it. I called the service number and was asked if someone could change the tire(thank god for my son being with me or that probably would have been another charge) then was told i would have to bring tire to be fixed at a specified dealer. I was told on phone I would have to front the money and be reimbursed after. When returning car I spoke to agent and was given an email to send copies of bill to. 3 days later received response saying "Dear Madam, Thank you for your correspondence. As you did not purchased tyre and windscreen coverage, a damaged tyre and any incurred expenses would be your responsibility. Please forward the documents to your own insurance provider in order to avail of a refund. Kind regards, Ciaran Customer Service Team Ireland

Jose Perez
September 9th, 2019 Victorville, CA DETAILS

Rented a car and when I returned it it had (not from me) a very VERY little scratch. Their lack of response to Allianz (had the car covered by them) so they could get paid has been terrible and will never ever rent from Sixt again. I'm a frequent traveler (Platinum in Delta and so forth) so I do rent a lots of cars. Called many times Sixt's claims department and had never the calls answered. One time I waited over 2hrs and finally hanged up. DON'T RENT FROM SIXT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comfort O.
September 6th, 2019 Bothell, WA DETAILS

SIXT was responsible for easily the worst experience I ever had. The girl who checked me not only charged me $80 for daily car insurance which I declined twice, but now they refuse to respond and more importantly credit me the charge. I rented with them twice and both experiences were horrible. The second, a small rink a dink counter in the Hyatt hotel in downtown Seattle, had two dumbfounded college kids failing me left and right. They had their manager - Cesar R cancel my $225 reservation the night before pickup, didn't notify me so I was denied after already arriving AND CHARGED ME THE FULL RESERVATION. That's a whopping $300 they've stolen from me. They will reap what they sow.

Daniel Green
September 4th, 2019 San Francisco, CA DETAILS

SIXT Rent A Cars are a FRAUDULENT Nightmare. SCAM! FRAUD! AVOID! I pre-payed for a day to transfer from Split to Pula, Croatia. The wait at Split Airport was LONG and HOT. It took 2 hours to pick up the car at their makeshift outdoor container-like offices. The agent informs me that I've got a free upgrade to an automatic and a tank of gas (turns out I was charged for the gas). I purchase the collision damage waiver at his recommendation, just in case...I lost the car keys when I arrived in Pula. I called the local office as soon as they opened the next morning and was told that I should pay parking until 2 pm, and that the car would be picked up by an agent, and that I would be charged for the replacement key. When I returned from my trip, I found my credit card charged $192 for the lost key (fair enough), but an additional charge was made for $586 for a scratch that I was not notified of, and had absolutely nothing to do with. I was also charged an extra day charged. They provided no evidence of damage until I appealed (twice). I was later supplied with low resolution photos taken with flash at night of the car, and photos of a scratch - location on the car and size undisclosed. Their email said the car was towed rather than opened because the parking brake had been "engaged on the hill". The car was left on the flat at the ferry dock in P (no additional brake). They said they would open the car with the help of a local dealer, but subsequently communicated it had been towed (which could well have scratched the vehicle). No notification, no repair quote, nothing until queried. If I hadn't checked my statement carefully, they would have slipped it past my attention. Single day rental, total charges now exceed $900. Suffice it to say I wish I had selected a US company. The company has thus far failed to concede a single error on their account. DO NOT USE SIXT CAR RENTAL UNLESS YOU ARE READY TO PAY THE SAME FOR A DAY AS FOR AN TRANSATLANTIC FLIGHT.

Pete
September 4th, 2019 Portland, OR DETAILS

Renting the car was fine, just like any other rental company. My review is for post rental. When I returned the car we found a small dent in the door. I don't recall anything happening and I denied that I caused this damage. The employee was extremely friendly and said "Perfect, not a problem, if you didn't do this, no issues here". I then appealed the damages and everything was fine. 3 MONTHS LATER....I get a letter in the mail that said there was additional damage found to the car on the rear bumper. They attached a photo and there is no damage to the car at all. It rained when I was there and the car has water droplets on it. I was charged $462 for damages and a $50 admin fee. Don't use this company. You'll rent a brand new nice car for a few days, then get charged for damages you didn't do.

Michael Jaffe
September 4th, 2019 Delray Beach, FL DETAILS

Rented a Toyota Yaris at Ben-Gurion Airport (TLV) in Tel Aviv for two weeks, arranged through Expedia. The handover was smooth and quick, even during prime tourist season. The staff was extremely friendly and efficient. The vehicle had 1400 km on it, so it was practically new and in pristine condition. No issues with the car. Car return was also quick, very friendly staff. A year earlier, I had used SixT at Reykjavik, and the pickup experience was not nearly as good. There seem to be a number of factors influencing the experience, but, for the most part, SixT seems to be a good discount option.

PT
September 4th, 2019 Princeton, NJ DETAILS

Constant upselling by providing lack of choice as the reason. You secure price and purchase online with a specific car of choice. Then you arrive only to realize the option is unavailable and you have to go with say a Lincoln when you specifically booked a Mercedes. Well you can get a Mercedes but for $50 more per day? Took the navigator reluctantly, A/C broke on my way from LA to Las Vegas at 100F. I called them and they said tough luck. Since the vehicle was operating, I had to drive to Las Vegas to exchange it there. The only positive experience I had was with an agent in Vegas who genuinely tried to help without upselling. You have to get lucky to find someone who does this at Sixt. This was my first and probably my last with them unless I look for premium cars which they have a good selection for. Otherwise, I would suggest going with one of the reputed/standard ones. I now have the final bill that is 10% more than what I got a receipt for? Strange. To me, a bit unethical broadly speaking.

Armindo
September 4th, 2019 Yonkers, NY DETAILS

Rented a car in Lisbon, staff was nice, but I was told that I had to get full insurance that what my Credit card insurance was not enough ( found out that was no not true a little to late ) 227.00 dollars for that, 5.96 dollars per day x17 -100.00 dollars for tires and glass coverage, should the full insurance cover that ? Now 20.32 dollars per day x 17 -345.00 for devaluation of the car : why should I pay for devaluation of the car? To resume my experience with sixt , first and last time renting from them! I feel I got ripped off ! Rented the car for 17 days it cost me almost 1600.00 dollars!!

Adam King
September 4th, 2019 DETAILS

Absolute RIP-off merchants. I hired a car, checked it over and pointed out some things they didn't have. Fine. But when I returned it they pointed out some scratches on the roof! Who checks the roof!? Categotically I did not scratch the roof, I parked in an underground carpark, never put a bag on there or anything. It's terrible behaviour to go over it with a fine tooth comb AFTER but even have the major scratches that I picked up on before. Shouldn't be legal.

Mike W
August 28th, 2019 Floyds Knobs, IN DETAILS

Rented a car via Hotwire for a golf trip. Hotwire chose Sixt and I had never heard of them before. Arrived in Phoenix on June 1 and got to counter to pick up car. They were having problems with computers and took about 25 minutes to complete the rental transaction. Went to pick up vehicle and asked the 2 attendants at counter if they would join me for pre-inspection. They just sat there and said to do it myself. I did do inspection and noticed a couple of things and brought it to their attention. They said it was documented and my group got in car for a week of golf. Upon return of the vehicle myself, my two golf partners and the Sixt attendant inspected the car and agreed on no damage. I asked for a final receipt and the attendant said it would be emailed to me. 5 days later I still did not get a receipt and asked them to email it. They did and I was charged for fuel which I expected. Then I receive a letter on the 15th about damage to the car I rented and they wanted paperwork filled out pertaining to the accident. I immediately responded with an email disputing the claim and well as explaining that I had witnesses that would attest to the attendant stating that the vehicle was not damaged. I also stated that I would not fill out the paperwork and would file a complaint with the BBB and or legal action. if they continued with this course of action. Low and behold I received a unsigned letter from Sixt in a email on 27 August 19 stating they reviewed the file and decided they would continue to pursue the financial claim $81.85 (for a supposed window chip which costed $25 to repair according to the glass receipt they attached, loss of use that they could not tell me about and an admin fee). I replied with the previous position I stated. It is freaking amazing that a company would do this (considered they probably spent over 500 dollars in document processing and reviews). I will probably end up paying this bogus claim but will never use Hotwire or Sixt again and from reading many of the above reviews a lot of other people feel the same way. Hope this helps others in their rental decisions.

John Smith
August 26th, 2019 Beverly Hills, CA

Horrible customer service. You are likely to get scammed on exaggerated repair costs with minor cosmetic damages. Do not trust this company. Small rim scratches. They will be charging you for an entire new rim and then not even replace the rim with the small amount of damage in question. Ask Rob F. He actually just did a video on this very subject. You can find it on YouTube on the superspeedersRob channel. Go check it out.

James
August 22nd, 2019 DETAILS

This is the worst rental experience I have ever had. I made an on-line reservation for Dublin, when I showed up at the airport they would not give me a car. Now I cannot get a refund. They fob me off to the Dublin office, which sends me to the USA email. Customer service either gives me the Dublin email or promises me a follow up email that never arrives. Avoid these people like the plague!

ErinJ
August 21st, 2019 Fuquay-Varina, NC DETAILS

I rented a vehicle in Phoenix from Sixt, was told the car was $32.48 a day, paid the fees up front. Returned the car with 9/10 of tank, I knew I'd be paying for the gas when the next charge came through on my credit card is was for an additional $192.00. I tried contacting Sixt to find out what this charge was for, no one answers their customer service line and you can't leave a message. I disputed the charge, they finally sent an invoice to my bank with all these ridiculous additional charges. I was never told about all these etc. fees, and concession, and the gas was $50.00 for 3 gallons of gas. I will never ever ever rent a car from them again!!!!!

Erin
August 20th, 2019 DETAILS

AVOID AVOID AVOID! Awful experience hiring a car in Dubrovnik city centre, Croatia. Read the reviews and do not use them! We picked up a car and had been ‘upgraded’ to a bigger car, that was covered in scratches, didn’t have GPS even though we had paid extra for it so we were given a handheld one but told we got 60 minutes free calls with that one. We had made them aware we were going to Bosnia for a day trip. On route to Kravice waterfalls we get a flat tyre... shouldn’t be a big issue. However we were given a car with NO SPARE TYRE and the liquid tyre repair kit was empty, the fluid has been used up and not replaced. With no options we called the breakdown line and got told as we were in Bosnia they couldn’t do anything they only covered Croatia so to call a different number. The next person we spoke to told us they couldn’t help and to call the original number back who then decided they could do something. The GPS phone they gave us didn’t work so we had to do this on our mobiles and now have £45 charges on our phone bills. We waited 4 hours for a recovery truck and then a 3 hour drive in a truck to Croatia. We only had the car for 5 hours. We spent longer waiting for recovery and sitting in the recovery truck! I then had to go back the next day and wait in line for 45 minutes at the Sixt office to be told ‘we have forgiven the fuel costs’. Following further complaints all I have been given is ‘forgiven fuel’ and no charge for the Sixt insurance. I used Avant car in Split and had a much better experience. This ruined our holiday. Honestly, read the reviews and do not use them.

Gemma
August 20th, 2019 DETAILS

I would definitely not recommend Sixt to anybody. The company services are extremely poor and some rental cars are damaged. Such was our case. We rented a car in Ireland, Dublin, and paid full insurance to avoid any additional charges in case of any unexpected problem. It turns out that a problem did happen, as our clutch was previously damaged. There was smoke coming out of the bonnet before we even got out of Dublin. When we reached Galway and asked for help, the mechanic said it was the driver’s fault and told us to “let it cool down.” When the clutch finally broke, the company accused the driver of not knowing how to drive on the other side. Moreover, they wanted us to pay for another insurance if they gave us a new car. The person speaking on behalf of the head department was really rude and his tone was clearly inappropriate when talking to a costumer. In addition, they did not provide us any service to get back to Galway city. The clutch had stopped working in the middle of a narrow road between two remote towns, and two strangers had to help us move the car to the roadside. Finally, it was the towing vehicle who drove us to the nearest town and there we took a bus. In short, do not spend any money on their services as they are likely to trick you in to paying more.

Stephanie
August 20th, 2019 Enfield, CT DETAILS

I rented a car online for a week. Ended up being charged almost double! Ridiculous charges that they will not refund.

Joe Kelly
August 20th, 2019 Grapevine, TX DETAILS

I have been renting cars for 40 years and have never had an experience like I had with Sixt. I rented a car in Norway, declined collision insurance as I always do, took photos of the car before leaving the lot, and then treated it like a baby for a two week vacation (never parked next to anyone, always used covered parking). I returned the car in Oslo, where the attendant told me they would inspect it later. I took another complete set of photos and then went on my way. Imagine my surprise to get an email from them 3 hours later that the car was damaged. They attached photos showing paint scratches on the UNDERSIDE of the bumper. There is no way I caused that “damage” but I could not contest that, as my photos (both before and after) did not include that part of the car. There was no way to get those pictures without laying on the ground. They then claimed that repairing that damage will cost $800. Lessons learned; 1. Do not rent from Sixt. 2. If you have no option but Sixt, pay for complete damage insurance even if it costs you up to $800 extra. 3. If you can’t afford the extra $800, be prepared to get down on the rental car garage floor and photograph every square inch of the car, including the underside. Be aware that based on other reviews I have seen, no matter what they WILL find some damage on that car that you will be charged $700-800 for. See lesson #1.

Allan Buell
August 20th, 2019 Nottingham, NH DETAILS

I picked up the car at O'Hare airport Chicago and had a one way drive to Indianapolis airport Indiana. 1. No told me that the car return was not at the airport but was 7 miles away. It was not stated or written on my contract. I had to rush to make my flight never mind driving back 7 miles from the way I came. people at the return were polite and friendly and got us onto an airport shuttle quickly 2. The people at the return did not however log in that we returned the car and I received a call Sunday asking when I would return the car and I told them I returned it on Saturday-the previous day 3. I get in invoice for 2 extra days of rental that I did not have and called customer service a. customer service said that the return station said we returned the car on Monday and I had to prove with a boarding pass or something that I returned it on Saturday. b. I did not have my pass and they said that my wife's boarding pass with the same last name was not good enough c. the representative then refused to transfer me to a manager 4. I called the rental business in Indianapolis and told them they had made a mistake. The were able to check the cars GPS and confirm return and correct the bill a. why did customer service not do this for me??? 5. When I called customer service back, because I am very upset by the whole situation, my call was dropped when I asked to be transferred to a manager My 1 star is for customer service. The actual people at the rental stores were friendly and helpful but they did both make mistakes

Jason P Boggs
August 14th, 2019 Fresno, CA DETAILS

This was my first time renting from Sixt as well as my first time driving in Denver and dealing with tolls and toll roads on this level. My flight got in later than expected and then I had to wait for the shuttle to pick me up as well as others and take me out to where my rental car was. It was well after midnight by the time I got my car...very tired. I then had to drive another hour to Greely to my hotel after that. It was well after 1:30am by the time I go to my hotel. When I went to return the car from Greely by 4am in the morning I could find no gas stations close to where I had to drop the car off and I could not get the GPS to program in the address for the drop off location as well. The only reason I went down these toll roads was to find a gas station in which I could not. Consequently, Sixt charged me $79.92 for half a tank of gas that was only $2.49 per gallon while I was there and a $6 Colorado Road Safety Fee. When all was accounted for I ended up paying Sixit an additional $128.21 over and above what I originally paid. I never want to return to Denver again and I really don't want to be using Sixt again. As a matter of fact the only reason I used Sixt to begin with was because they were the only rental service with cars for the dates I required. Never even heard of them before that. So along with the long shuttle trip out to the boondocks to get my rental and extra charges and fees....I believe this was my first and last rental with Sixt. I'm sure Sixt gets this all the time, but I have NEVER had this many issues with a car rental.

CY
August 14th, 2019 DETAILS

I rented a car from Sixt at the Airport in Munich Germany. I reserved the car 3 months prior and they didn't have it waiting for me. They didn't seem to care too much and said they'd get me something else. The car was the only convertible Sixt allowed renters to drive outside of Germany. Once they discovered this they determined that a car was available if I waited an hour. When we finally tried to load our luggage we were dissapointed to discover the trunk was too small. They gave us a different, lower class, car (a sedan) and informed me it would be less money. They then had me sign a document in German that they said was the release of the car to me so I could drive it. Instead, I found out much later, it was a contract to rent the much less expensive car for the exact same amount as the convertible. I priced up the car we were provided with the first night to make sure I knew how much it would be. I was pleased to discover the sedan was $430 less than the convertible. Imagine my surprise when I returned to the states and received an invoice for the convertible not the sedan. When I inquired they said both cars were the identical price so just pay the convertible invoice. If you look at the Sixt website you'll quickly notice that no two cars are the same price. I would never rent from Sixt again. They have nice cars but their people are shady. Stay AWAY!

Maria
August 13th, 2019

We returned the car we rented and forgot a hand bag in the car, we came back 10 minutes later and when we got the bag back all the money that was inside was gone. Somebody took the money and no one would give us explanation, the manager who talked to us couldn’t give any explanation, he only advised us to call the police. So here we are, on our last day in Miami with no money left because somebody from Sixt rental car company stole the money we had left. Never again

S2019
August 13th, 2019 Alexandria, VA DETAILS

Terrible Experience - rent from any other company! Rented from Sixt in Europe in May-June 2019. First and last time I will do that. The biggest issue was with the exterior of the car. Several hours after I returned the car (at a rail station with only a key drop, no actual person), Sixt emailed me to say there was a scrape on the hood of the car and said they'd send me a bill. There is no way that damage occurred while I had the car. Plus, the car itself was full of dings, scrapes, etc. when I picked it up that Sixt never bothered to fix. If you rent from this company, take tons photos of the car at pick up and drop off. Ideally, have a Sixt employee on hand at both events to walk around the car with you. Sixt then sent an estimate that included only a number -- nothing else. When asked for additional information that any normal person would ask for -- itemized description of work, what was being done, verification that cost was only for alleged scrape and not all the other dings and dents on the hood -- Sixt refused to provide. Also, I requested a mid-range, mid-size car. It was fine in terms of cleanliness at pick up, but utterly lacking in the one thing that you would take for granted in a car today -- namely, anywhere to plug in your phone/GPS. Not a single port of any type to be found.

Richard Ford
August 13th, 2019 DETAILS

booked through hotwire hired the car at Paris Airport. Firstly the car I booked was not available so I had to pay 5 euros more a day than I got quoted. Second I had a 92 euro charge for location nearly the cost of my car hire, ive tried to contact Sixt but they haven't replied. will not be using them ever again.

john j
August 11th, 2019 DETAILS

Car renters beware ............. Having booked the rental for 2.5 days and under the sixt current TV ad I was Horrified at the additional costs involved, the car was great, staff very welcoming, but the way you rack up the costs is criminal.it almost tripled the costs I will never use Sixt again

Susan Mikkelsen
August 11th, 2019 Kansas City, MO DETAILS

We have been renting from Sixt in Europe for a number of years without incident. The last rental in Denmark was a nightmare. Just a quick piece of advice if you rent from the Aalborg airport...take photos of everything when you drop off the car. There was zero additional damage (to a car already dinged to death on the doors) when the car was dropped off but my husband made the mistake of not photographing the entire car before heading back to the US. Supposedly there was damage to the car. It is ridiculous because we are now out of the country and we have no visual evidence that they are lying. It's ridiculous because we have never damaged any car that we have ever rented. We will never be using this company ever again.

Maureen E. Serge
August 8th, 2019 DETAILS

I was so surprised to see the negative reviews for Sixt. I have been renting cars from Sixt for approximately 2 years and have never had a problem, and the customer service was fantastic. Besides their prices being the best in town, I always receive fast courtesy service from the counter people. Granted, I only rent when I am in Las Vegas, but I am there 3 or 4 times a year and use Sixt all the time. I tried the rest of the car rentals and they are expensive and never had the car that I originally reserved. BRAVO to Sixt. To all the new customers, don't be swayed by someone else's negativity.

MD Maur
August 8th, 2019 DETAILS

There are many car rental options, and this is the last one I'd recommend. Not only will you never hear from an agent by phone, no matter the concern, but any responses take weeks by email. Any company that states they are transparent and value customers but refuse to talk to you, is clearly not. I was not properly informed that I was going to be charged $300+ more after the initial $400 reservation. All I wanted was a child's car seat at pickup, got a dirty booster that was laying on the floor, and somehow that's hundreds more.

Ron R
August 7th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

The worst rental car ever. Read the reviews , they scam everyone by not having you check the car over before you leave and then claiming damage that you caused when you return the car, that you did not cause. Never giving you the same car you signed up for and treating their customers like crap!

LP
August 5th, 2019 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS

I would like to tell you about my experience with your company as I was visiting in Israel. I rented a vehicle on line from 07/12 to 07/19/19 from you location in Petach Tikva, Israel. On Friday 07/12/19 we arrived to pick up the vehicle (We requested an SUV if possible) we were told the vehicle we wanted was not available and instead we will be upgraded to an Audi 1000. During the weekend as we were driving we realized that there was no USB outlet to charge our phone. On Sunday, 07/14 we arrived at the office again since we needed to have the ability to charge our phones quite often. The maintenance guy tried to fix the problem and after about 45 minutes told us it can't be done and that we should go back to the counter and get a different vehicle. We advised the clerk of the problem and she said she can't help us. She has no vehicle available. We asked to speak to a manager and were referred to Shani, the manager. When we explained the issue, her initial answer was"Show me in the contract that we are required to provide you with a USB in the vehicle." my brother and I tried to explain to her that it also doesn't list anything else such as wheels, radio or seats in the contract. She became very rude and started saying "well, if the two of you are going to gang on me, I can't help" At this point I tried to explain to her that is was very important that I have a way to charge my phone, we were driving down to Eilat and she said that there is road service and we can call them and they will come to us. I politely explained to her that if my phone was not charged I won't be able to call road service. She did not care. At the end I asked her to give us another vehicle or refund me fully for the vehicle. She then said she will have another vehicle but we have to wait until it's cleaned and prepped. I also asked to speak to the branch manager and was told by her the she was the branch manager. I asked for the phone number to the corporate office and she wouldn't give it to me. Finally after waiting fore another 45 minutes, We were given a vehicle. I have rented vehicles from Sixt before and from many other Car Rental companies and was never treated with such disrespect and lack of customer service. I can tell you that in the future I will not rent from Sixt again.

Helmut
August 1st, 2019 DETAILS

Visiting UK from Aus, I needed to hire a car from Manchester to London. After reading reviews was put off Sixt at first. But Avis was going to cost about twice as much (rental car prices in UK are ridiculous compared to Aus) so thought I'd give it a go. The staff were well-presented, friendly and helpful. Without being asked, the guy walked me to my car and showed me the features. This has never happened to me with car rental before. Drop off and billing were fine.

Mikko
August 1st, 2019 Walnut Creek, CA DETAILS

I should have checked this site before renting with Sixt. I would have given them Zero stars if I could. PLEASE READ BELOW EXPERIENCE SO YOU DON'T EXPERIENCE THE SAME NIGHTMARE WE DID! I picked up the car at Lisbon (Portugal) airport on May 12, 2019 . Here are the problems I encountered: 1. We waited almost an hour to get a car and the customer service rep was rude about this. His excuse was that the counter was understaffed. 2. On our way from Lisbon to Lagos, a warning light saying "car key batteries needed replaced". We couldn't turn around since this was already about an hour into our trip. We called Sixt customer service and they told us to get a new battery from another Sixt branch in Lagos. There was no nearby Sixt branch but we finally got the replacement at a Renault car dealership. We wasted 2 hours of vacation time resolving this problem. 3. When it was time to return the car back on May 19, 2019 at the Lisbon airport, Sixt computers were down so they could not process our return and could not give us a refund on the key battery we replaced. We told them to inspect the car to make sure they note that there are no new damages to the car (it had existing scratches and dents noted on the invoice). They refused to do the inspection without the computers running. We had to leave the car with them as we were catching a flight. 3. A week later, we get an email from Sixt charging us an additional 500 Euro claiming that we put a scratch on the tire and rim of the car. When we were in Lagos, we rarely used the car as we took Uber to the city center a lot and we were a 100% sure we were not the ones that damaged this car as they claimed. 4. We referred the claims to our credit card insurance as Sixt was relentless in falsely claiming that we damaged their car. They were eventually paid by the credit card insurance on 6/25/19 . We got a copy of the check from the insurance company to prove this. 5. Today, July 31,2019, we received another email from Sixt that they have not been paid and proceeded to charge our credit card the 500 Euro. Seems like our nightmare is not over yet. Now we have to send back pictures of the proof of payment to Sixt as well as dispute the charges on the credit card!

Anthony Johnson
August 1st, 2019 Orlando, FL DETAILS

I rented from the Orlando , Florida location I allowed a family member to return a vehicle for me. The agent gave them another vehicle in my name when they wasn't authorized on my rental. Then I was charged over $800 after constantly calling them regarding them giving a vehicle to someone that's not authorized on the rental agreement they agree to refund me the fees for the other vehicle. Then all of sudden I get another charge for $213 for a cleaning fee on the vehicle that they gave to someone who wasn't listed on my rental agreement. I was advised that I would get a credit for that amount then I checked my credit credit today and it's another charge for $213.00. This has been the worst rental car company I have ever dealt with. This was my first time using them and my last. So now I have to call them again regarding another fee.

Chester
August 1st, 2019 DETAILS

If I could give a 0 that's what they would deserve. From start to finish an absolute shambles. I made an enquiry about the vehicle and never reserved any sort of communication of confirmation or not. I had to contact them after 35 mins of waiting got told it was cancelled. So I made another booking which was more expensive then to be told I had 2 confirmed bookings. The pickup, driving and drop off experience was all fine and ran smoothly. Afterwards I had been charged for 2 days of hire instead of just 1. Which was finally refunded after 2 weeks. However the worst thing was being accused of damage to rear of the vehicle. After appealing it I did not receive a response for 3 weeks. I had to chase them several times for this. They then said I was liable for the damage as we do a check within 4 hours of the return. It took them 5 days to get back to me with damage report. Once I got the invoice of a disgusting amount and showing the damage 4 weeks later. The damage they accused me of was already on the vehicle before I had taken it of site. Luckily I had taken a photo of the vehicle on site. It is disgusting trying to get more money out of people. They say they do checks obviously this wasn't done. 5 weeks had gone since I hired the vehicle and they finally cancelled the charge of £700 for a 3cm scratch. The only positive thing but it shouldn't have got to this at all. So from this experience always take photos of the vehicle and always check before agreeing to anything they say. ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE! If you want a stress-free hiring experience go elsewhere and not with Sixt.

Monique
July 30th, 2019 Watervliet, NY DETAILS

The first day we picked up the rental vehicle the customer service at the counter was undesirable; finally get the keys to the vehicle get almost to the hotel and the check tire pressure light comes on. All the air pressure for the tires were unbalanced. The next morning I get in the vehicle to start my day and the check coolant light is on. Although I called customer service to make them aware of the mechanical issues, I really was not compensated other than suggesting I bring the car back to the Sixt Car Rental at the airport for an exchange. Sixt is supposed to be a high end vehicle rental agency so they should have gone above and beyond to rectify the issue by BRINGING me an exchange vehicle. When I got to the airport the rep tried to tell me that because I booked the rental through Expedia, it was why I was having mechanical issues with the vehicle stating Expedia rents their cars past 10,000 miles. To me that was not an acceptable answer considering the vehicle was in the care of Sixt Car Rental. I would not rent through Sixt again.

Christian van den Branden
July 30th, 2019 Boston, MA DETAILS

Aweful company. I booked a reservation online. My tarvel dates changed at the last minute. I tried to change the reservation once I got to my destination (a week earlier than originally planned). The sixt agent was completely unhelpful, told me she could not adjust the reservation and I had to get a brand new one, then call to cancel the prior one. I canceled the reservation but did not take a new one as they were charging me double the original cost. I then received an invoice where they charged me full price even though I canceled a week in advance. I was finally able to lower the fee to $100 which is still outrageous. I will never use them again. Avis was much friendlier and immediately arranged for a car for me at much lower price than sixt

John Sweeney
July 25th, 2019 DETAILS

Unreliable and a big problem trying to get through on the telephone. After speaking to 4 people who were unable to do anything. I was told to read the small print in the contract. So read my big print you are RUBBISH! never again.

mbg729
July 23rd, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

It's hard to even give them 1 star. This company is awful. It is very difficult to get through to them to reach an actual person if you need to speak to someone. We needed to cancel a trip and it would not work online so we had to call and speak to someone. They told us to first re-book, and then they would refund the previous amount. (several hundred dollars). Two weeks later, we still did not have a refund. We called again. They said "it went through on our end, check with your credit card company". They refused to provide us with any type of confirmation of the refund, and said that AMEX doesn't do that. (which makes no sense!) They have given us the run around so many times and we truly feel they are a very deceitful company. We have called and emailed multiple times. We have asked to speak with a manager. Nothing has been resolved. They won't answer emails and a manger won't contact us. We finally turned it over to our credit card company to deal with. The sad part is that they lost a good customer (one that rents cars A LOT). I will NEVER ever use them again, and I will make sure that others know they are not honest and reputable.

Hak
July 19th, 2019 Scotch Plains, NJ DETAILS

I booked a Jeep but they did not have it. I decided to go to next booth over, which is Enterprise, but Sixt gave me a Cadillac SUV for no extra charge. I asked the Sixt guy twice,”How much more will this upgrade be?”, and he said twice, “Dint worry, I’m not charging you for upgrading!” And they gave me an unwashed Cadillac SUV, but I didn’t complain because I was told it was a “free upgrade”! Of course, when I got my bill I was charged almost $200+ more. I called customer service and the representative, who seems as if she was prepared for a complaint, was more so trying to “find a loophole” in my story. At the end, they refunded me $20 bucks for the car being “unwashed” and that was it. I will spend every opportunity I have berating this company because they literally took advantage of a good customer. You know that feeling like you was just ripped off and there’s nothing you can do about it? Yup! That’s me right now!

JWG
July 18th, 2019 Stillwater, MN DETAILS

I used sixt for past 2 years when I flew into ATL and they had been GREAT! Then I accidentally left my personal car keys in the rental car...filled out their little lost and found report...it took 20 days of leaving messages and calling all the phone numbers on the internet to actually talk to a human. Ironically the day I talked to a human, they found the keys 30 minutes later...WHAT a stroke of luck! Then the had the audacity to charge nearly $30 to FEDEX my keys back. Hey, it was my fault the keys were left in the car...but 30 bucks!?!? You have lost my business on principal. Get some real people answering your phones...no one likes automated systems, no one.

Brandy
July 18th, 2019 Dallas, TX DETAILS

First of all, I rented with Sixt in California and it was a breeze! Now lets talk about the confirmation in DALLAS! Horrible! Horrible the CS rep Janova was VERY RUDE first she answers and then hangs up on me, then when I called back to state my issue she was talking over me JUST RUDE! Told me the van was not avbl on my days but didn't offer a different solution. If I could give - stars I would! I will NEVER EVER rent with them again!

Lu Rene Silva-Ball
July 16th, 2019 Huntersville, NC DETAILS

First they didn’t have the car that I rented they advertise Mercedes to get people to rent from them, then they should give you a Mercedes and besides I called to have them reserve the Mercedes for me! second the Lincoln MZK they gave me was all dirty , was very filthy and third as soon as I left the rental place, the gas amount was a little lower than full when I returned the same, i filled Until the gas pumped stopped and a little extra, and drove there 10 miles to return, the needle was a little below full just as they gave me, they charge me $38 for my gas. I DON’T RECOMMEND AND WILL NOT RRNT HERE AGSIN!

Adrian
July 16th, 2019 DETAILS

Tried to book Sixt Seattle car rental online - error message - emailed customer service - no worries just send reservations team email with your requirements - done - reservations team - you need to go back to customer service - now one week on from original website enquiry - "One of our dedicated Sixt agents will be getting back to you pretty quickly, just like our quick cars!" doh?

Alan Moore
July 12th, 2019 DETAILS

Buyer beware when booking through Expedia for TD On a recent golf trip to Ireland, I rented a car from SIXT out of Dublin Airport through Expedia for TD. When my friend and I arrived to pick up the car, we were asked what type of insurance we would need. I explained we had travel insurance on our credit card for $65,000 Canadian, and would not require additional insurance. The clerk (Robert) said we needed a letter from our Credit Card provider declaring that. I asked Robert that on time of booking, nowhere did it mention anything about a letter from our Credit Card provider. If it did, we would have asked for one, and how was I supposed to get one now! Robert said we could take full coverage for 1,500 euros, I again said I didn’t need additional coverage. He then, dropped it to 800 euro, and then 500 euro, his final deal “as he called it” was 340 euro. Robert did not show us a legal insurance document, it was hand written on a piece of paper! If the insurance was 1500 euro, how was he able to “make us a deal” and keep dropping it? I told him to cancel the booking and I will go to another rental company. His reply was, all rental companies within the airport required the same letter from the credit card company. I immediately went to the next Rental Company beside them “AVIS”, and asked them about the letter, and they said they did not require one. I asked the SIXT agent to cancel the rental and he said he would. We went to AVIS and were on our way in 15 minutes with no hassles. As far as I am concerned SIXT just try to rip people off for as much as they can get away with. I would never recommend renting from SIXT as they are just a disgusting company to deal with! When I arrived back home, SIXT did not cancel the rental and had taken the full amount, NICE COMPANY!!! When I called Expedia for TD, they told me that it stated in the itinerary “Your rental may have mandatory, local insurance requirements”. When I clicked on it, it opened a window to Expedia for TD, and said nothing about insurance. Make sure you read all the fine print (if you can find it!) as Expedia for TD will take your money or travel points, and does nothing to make the required vendor perform. On my last trip to Ireland I took the bus from Dublin airport and rented a car from Enterprise in Belfast, no issues. I without question would highly recommend AVIS or Enterprise. I WOULD NEVER EVER RENT A CAR FROM SIXT AGAIN. Also, I very much doubt if I would book through Expedia for TD either.

BGPI
July 12th, 2019 DETAILS

Only giving it one star as can't post a review otherwise - it would be zero if I could!!!! You might think you're getting a good deal but it's not a Ryanair recommended partner for nothing. Got hit with a charge for damage that had nothing to do with me. Naively thought when the guy at returns said "no need to review the car" he was a genuine fella.....but nope! Set up and taken advantage of. Use anyone else apart from these p......eople. 'nuff said!

Jeff Wilson
July 12th, 2019 DETAILS

I just recently rented with Sixt was lured by renting a luxury German car. I had 2 rentals one in Croatia and another in Germany. Both rentals I have concerns with. Just to set the scene I tent cars almost weekly at work and have never had 1 issue in 10 years with Budget Thrifty and Avis. The first issue was in Croatia where the agent was trying to upsell me on everything talking about the differences in culture how this would be problematic if there was an accident. She eventually convinced me to take some extra insurance for peace of mind. I was tired from my flight and was uncomfortable with the risks she was describing. We agreed on a total price on the car of $2200 Australian dollars which she told me included a 400 euro deposit. This would have made the total to be about approx $1600 aud. When I was charged I was charged $1920 aud after the deposit despite no defects or fines. She had added the premium package as well as fuel. I contacted Sixt customer service which was difficult and they did not care. She confused me with the exchange rates and the deposit which Sixt applies and then added extra charges. Beware to check the detail in your receipt. Additionally despite a lengthy conversation on cross border requirements she did not inform me of what I neede to travel in Slovenia costing me a $300 euro fine. Do your own homework don’t trust Sixt On my second rental I returned the vehicle with a full tank the vehicle was inspected and signed off yet I have a 200 euro charge that I am still trying to find out why it was charged. To my dismay I did research Sixt after experiencing these issues and was horrified at how many other people had similar experiences. Beware

Angela Rua
July 12th, 2019 Rahway, NJ DETAILS

In July, I rented a car from Lisbon Portugal. First they tried to sell me an upgrade and then gave me an upgrade stating that they didn't have the vehicle class I rented anymore. When I walked into the garage, I did notice that they had the class but traveling will two kids in the middle of the night, I just wanted to leave. When I checked the car in the dark garage, I noticed a dent and that the car was filthy. I turned around and told the attendant to make notice of the state of the car. He told me that Sixt states that dents are considered scratches on the form. Indeed it did state that the SUV had a scratch in the location of the dent as he circled it. He also wrote that the SUV was dirty. When I got to my location, a family memeber pointed out to me that the tires were bald. I took pictures of the tires and emailed customer service immediatly. They advided me to reture the SUV to the closet location. I returned the car the next day. When I retured the car, I told the attended about the tires and the dent. He was shocked that they allowed a car to leave the station in this condition. He was able to tell that the dent along with another scratch on a rim was older than 24 hrs and stated that the vehicle left the station in this condition. I email the company various times with my concerns and they sent me a refund of $30 euros for tolls. In January I get an email with a statement of the damages. I have never delt with a company like this in my life! A. This company makes you sign the car condition paperwork before you even leave their office. B. They wait until they think you do not have proof and only send the paperwork that you sign at the kiosk. C. They only gave me the upgrade because they saw I was a woman traveling with two children so they could get away with charging me for the damages.

Janet
July 8th, 2019 Cornelius, OR DETAILS

I am just now seeing the reviews of Sixt Rent a Car. Had I found these reviews prior to my online arrangements I would never have done business with them. The restricted area unlimited mileage wasn't stated in my reservation and was an unexpected exorbitant charge. But I had a hero at the desk ! I am 71 and not very savy on the computer. Alfredo went out of his way to help me. He was patient and very helpful. So 5+ stars for Alfredo but Sixt policies and business practices definitely -1. All the best Alfredo !!

Kenneth
July 8th, 2019 Fort Myers, FL DETAILS

I wish I could give less then one star. Beware of there tactics. Do not rent from these people. If you do you better check the car from top to bottom. Because if you don't they will make a claim against you. HORRIBLE!!