SIXT started out with three locations and grew into an international company with locations throughout the United States. Currently, the company is present in 105 countries across the globe with over 2,000 branch locations. SIXT purchases more than 200,000 vehicles annually and owns the world's largest fleet of premium German cars.

The Good

• Vehicle Types
  • Price Range
  • Toll Prepay Option
  • Online Check-In

Vehicle Types

The SIXT vehicle fleet hosts models from German favorites like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi. Vehicle types include:

• Convertibles
  • Luxury cars
  • Minivans
  • SUVs
  • Passenger vans

Price Range

SIXT offers vehicles ranging in average prices in the car rental industry. While the prices are not necessarily low, SIXT's car selection is of a higher quality than many economy budget car rentals. The car make and models are newer and more modern so if that is important to you then the average cost is more than worth paying. Regardless of the price listed for a car, though, SIXT boasts a Best Price Guarantee.

Toll Prepay Option

A very convenient feature is the ability to order toll passes through the company's website. Having a toll pass makes your commute easier when you travel. This comes as part of the online check-in.

Online Check-In

You can check in your car from SIXT's website instead of the rental counter using one of two options: the online check-in portal via the website or the on-site terminal. After you sign in and check in with your reservation number, you go to SIXT's express counter and swap your signature for the car keys. For the terminal option, follow these steps:

1. Insert your Sixt Express Card or credit card into the terminal.
  2. The terminal detects your card automatically and shows you the reservation. You also have the option of booking extras at this point, such as winter tires.
  3. Select your car out of three vehicle options.
  4. Confirm the booking details and print your rental agreement.
  5. Open the safe and take the vehicle keys.

This makes checking in easy and fast and eliminates the issue of long lines that you get with other car rental companies.

The Bad

• Limited U.S. Availability
  • No Instant Return
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

Limited U.S. Availability

SIXT has rental car locations in 15 states, so your options are limited in the United States. Sixt has rental counters at some major airports throughout North America, but not as many as some competitors. For instance, most rental companies have counters at JFK, LaGuardia, or Newark airports in the New York City area and SIXT does not. On the plus side, SIXT is worldwide, so it is likely to cover your international travel needs.

No Instant Return

SIXT lacks an instant return option where you can leave the car with the keys inside. You must return the vehicle to a rental office (or other identified location) on the date and time specified in your rental agreement.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

SIXT does not offer discounts for fueling your vehicle on-site. If a customer returns the car low on gas, SIXT charges a $50 fee.

The Bottom Line

If you're itching to try out a new or luxury car, look no further than SIXT. With quick check-in, no hidden costs, and free cancellation, SIXT is all about convenience. However, the company is not readily available throughout North America, especially in smaller states and cities.

1.3

Erin
August 20th, 2019 DETAILS

AVOID AVOID AVOID! Awful experience hiring a car in Dubrovnik city centre, Croatia. Read the reviews and do not use them! We picked up a car and had been ‘upgraded’ to a bigger car, that was covered in scratches, didn’t have GPS even though we had paid extra for it so we were given a handheld one but told we got 60 minutes free calls with that one. We had made them aware we were going to Bosnia for a day trip. On route to Kravice waterfalls we get a flat tyre... shouldn’t be a big issue. However we were given a car with NO SPARE TYRE and the liquid tyre repair kit was empty, the fluid has been used up and not replaced. With no options we called the breakdown line and got told as we were in Bosnia they couldn’t do anything they only covered Croatia so to call a different number. The next person we spoke to told us they couldn’t help and to call the original number back who then decided they could do something. The GPS phone they gave us didn’t work so we had to do this on our mobiles and now have £45 charges on our phone bills. We waited 4 hours for a recovery truck and then a 3 hour drive in a truck to Croatia. We only had the car for 5 hours. We spent longer waiting for recovery and sitting in the recovery truck! I then had to go back the next day and wait in line for 45 minutes at the Sixt office to be told ‘we have forgiven the fuel costs’. Following further complaints all I have been given is ‘forgiven fuel’ and no charge for the Sixt insurance. I used Avant car in Split and had a much better experience. This ruined our holiday. Honestly, read the reviews and do not use them.

Gemma
August 20th, 2019 DETAILS

I would definitely not recommend Sixt to anybody. The company services are extremely poor and some rental cars are damaged. Such was our case. We rented a car in Ireland, Dublin, and paid full insurance to avoid any additional charges in case of any unexpected problem. It turns out that a problem did happen, as our clutch was previously damaged. There was smoke coming out of the bonnet before we even got out of Dublin. When we reached Galway and asked for help, the mechanic said it was the driver’s fault and told us to “let it cool down.” When the clutch finally broke, the company accused the driver of not knowing how to drive on the other side. Moreover, they wanted us to pay for another insurance if they gave us a new car. The person speaking on behalf of the head department was really rude and his tone was clearly inappropriate when talking to a costumer. In addition, they did not provide us any service to get back to Galway city. The clutch had stopped working in the middle of a narrow road between two remote towns, and two strangers had to help us move the car to the roadside. Finally, it was the towing vehicle who drove us to the nearest town and there we took a bus. In short, do not spend any money on their services as they are likely to trick you in to paying more.

Stephanie
August 20th, 2019 Enfield, CT DETAILS

I rented a car online for a week. Ended up being charged almost double! Ridiculous charges that they will not refund.

Joe Kelly
August 20th, 2019 Grapevine, TX DETAILS

I have been renting cars for 40 years and have never had an experience like I had with Sixt. I rented a car in Norway, declined collision insurance as I always do, took photos of the car before leaving the lot, and then treated it like a baby for a two week vacation (never parked next to anyone, always used covered parking). I returned the car in Oslo, where the attendant told me they would inspect it later. I took another complete set of photos and then went on my way. Imagine my surprise to get an email from them 3 hours later that the car was damaged. They attached photos showing paint scratches on the UNDERSIDE of the bumper. There is no way I caused that “damage” but I could not contest that, as my photos (both before and after) did not include that part of the car. There was no way to get those pictures without laying on the ground. They then claimed that repairing that damage will cost $800. Lessons learned; 1. Do not rent from Sixt. 2. If you have no option but Sixt, pay for complete damage insurance even if it costs you up to $800 extra. 3. If you can’t afford the extra $800, be prepared to get down on the rental car garage floor and photograph every square inch of the car, including the underside. Be aware that based on other reviews I have seen, no matter what they WILL find some damage on that car that you will be charged $700-800 for. See lesson #1.

Allan Buell
August 20th, 2019 Nottingham, NH DETAILS

I picked up the car at O'Hare airport Chicago and had a one way drive to Indianapolis airport Indiana. 1. No told me that the car return was not at the airport but was 7 miles away. It was not stated or written on my contract. I had to rush to make my flight never mind driving back 7 miles from the way I came. people at the return were polite and friendly and got us onto an airport shuttle quickly 2. The people at the return did not however log in that we returned the car and I received a call Sunday asking when I would return the car and I told them I returned it on Saturday-the previous day 3. I get in invoice for 2 extra days of rental that I did not have and called customer service a. customer service said that the return station said we returned the car on Monday and I had to prove with a boarding pass or something that I returned it on Saturday. b. I did not have my pass and they said that my wife's boarding pass with the same last name was not good enough c. the representative then refused to transfer me to a manager 4. I called the rental business in Indianapolis and told them they had made a mistake. The were able to check the cars GPS and confirm return and correct the bill a. why did customer service not do this for me??? 5. When I called customer service back, because I am very upset by the whole situation, my call was dropped when I asked to be transferred to a manager My 1 star is for customer service. The actual people at the rental stores were friendly and helpful but they did both make mistakes

Jason P Boggs
August 14th, 2019 Fresno, CA DETAILS

This was my first time renting from Sixt as well as my first time driving in Denver and dealing with tolls and toll roads on this level. My flight got in later than expected and then I had to wait for the shuttle to pick me up as well as others and take me out to where my rental car was. It was well after midnight by the time I got my car...very tired. I then had to drive another hour to Greely to my hotel after that. It was well after 1:30am by the time I go to my hotel. When I went to return the car from Greely by 4am in the morning I could find no gas stations close to where I had to drop the car off and I could not get the GPS to program in the address for the drop off location as well. The only reason I went down these toll roads was to find a gas station in which I could not. Consequently, Sixt charged me $79.92 for half a tank of gas that was only $2.49 per gallon while I was there and a $6 Colorado Road Safety Fee. When all was accounted for I ended up paying Sixit an additional $128.21 over and above what I originally paid. I never want to return to Denver again and I really don't want to be using Sixt again. As a matter of fact the only reason I used Sixt to begin with was because they were the only rental service with cars for the dates I required. Never even heard of them before that. So along with the long shuttle trip out to the boondocks to get my rental and extra charges and fees....I believe this was my first and last rental with Sixt. I'm sure Sixt gets this all the time, but I have NEVER had this many issues with a car rental.

CY
August 14th, 2019 DETAILS

I rented a car from Sixt at the Airport in Munich Germany. I reserved the car 3 months prior and they didn't have it waiting for me. They didn't seem to care too much and said they'd get me something else. The car was the only convertible Sixt allowed renters to drive outside of Germany. Once they discovered this they determined that a car was available if I waited an hour. When we finally tried to load our luggage we were dissapointed to discover the trunk was too small. They gave us a different, lower class, car (a sedan) and informed me it would be less money. They then had me sign a document in German that they said was the release of the car to me so I could drive it. Instead, I found out much later, it was a contract to rent the much less expensive car for the exact same amount as the convertible. I priced up the car we were provided with the first night to make sure I knew how much it would be. I was pleased to discover the sedan was $430 less than the convertible. Imagine my surprise when I returned to the states and received an invoice for the convertible not the sedan. When I inquired they said both cars were the identical price so just pay the convertible invoice. If you look at the Sixt website you'll quickly notice that no two cars are the same price. I would never rent from Sixt again. They have nice cars but their people are shady. Stay AWAY!

Maria
August 13th, 2019

We returned the car we rented and forgot a hand bag in the car, we came back 10 minutes later and when we got the bag back all the money that was inside was gone. Somebody took the money and no one would give us explanation, the manager who talked to us couldn’t give any explanation, he only advised us to call the police. So here we are, on our last day in Miami with no money left because somebody from Sixt rental car company stole the money we had left. Never again

S2019
August 13th, 2019 Alexandria, VA DETAILS

Terrible Experience - rent from any other company! Rented from Sixt in Europe in May-June 2019. First and last time I will do that. The biggest issue was with the exterior of the car. Several hours after I returned the car (at a rail station with only a key drop, no actual person), Sixt emailed me to say there was a scrape on the hood of the car and said they'd send me a bill. There is no way that damage occurred while I had the car. Plus, the car itself was full of dings, scrapes, etc. when I picked it up that Sixt never bothered to fix. If you rent from this company, take tons photos of the car at pick up and drop off. Ideally, have a Sixt employee on hand at both events to walk around the car with you. Sixt then sent an estimate that included only a number -- nothing else. When asked for additional information that any normal person would ask for -- itemized description of work, what was being done, verification that cost was only for alleged scrape and not all the other dings and dents on the hood -- Sixt refused to provide. Also, I requested a mid-range, mid-size car. It was fine in terms of cleanliness at pick up, but utterly lacking in the one thing that you would take for granted in a car today -- namely, anywhere to plug in your phone/GPS. Not a single port of any type to be found.

Richard Ford
August 13th, 2019 DETAILS

booked through hotwire hired the car at Paris Airport. Firstly the car I booked was not available so I had to pay 5 euros more a day than I got quoted. Second I had a 92 euro charge for location nearly the cost of my car hire, ive tried to contact Sixt but they haven't replied. will not be using them ever again.

john j
August 11th, 2019 DETAILS

Car renters beware ............. Having booked the rental for 2.5 days and under the sixt current TV ad I was Horrified at the additional costs involved, the car was great, staff very welcoming, but the way you rack up the costs is criminal.it almost tripled the costs I will never use Sixt again

Susan Mikkelsen
August 11th, 2019 Kansas City, MO DETAILS

We have been renting from Sixt in Europe for a number of years without incident. The last rental in Denmark was a nightmare. Just a quick piece of advice if you rent from the Aalborg airport...take photos of everything when you drop off the car. There was zero additional damage (to a car already dinged to death on the doors) when the car was dropped off but my husband made the mistake of not photographing the entire car before heading back to the US. Supposedly there was damage to the car. It is ridiculous because we are now out of the country and we have no visual evidence that they are lying. It's ridiculous because we have never damaged any car that we have ever rented. We will never be using this company ever again.

Maureen E. Serge
August 8th, 2019 DETAILS

I was so surprised to see the negative reviews for Sixt. I have been renting cars from Sixt for approximately 2 years and have never had a problem, and the customer service was fantastic. Besides their prices being the best in town, I always receive fast courtesy service from the counter people. Granted, I only rent when I am in Las Vegas, but I am there 3 or 4 times a year and use Sixt all the time. I tried the rest of the car rentals and they are expensive and never had the car that I originally reserved. BRAVO to Sixt. To all the new customers, don't be swayed by someone else's negativity.

MD Maur
August 8th, 2019 DETAILS

There are many car rental options, and this is the last one I'd recommend. Not only will you never hear from an agent by phone, no matter the concern, but any responses take weeks by email. Any company that states they are transparent and value customers but refuse to talk to you, is clearly not. I was not properly informed that I was going to be charged $300+ more after the initial $400 reservation. All I wanted was a child's car seat at pickup, got a dirty booster that was laying on the floor, and somehow that's hundreds more.

Ron R
August 7th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

The worst rental car ever. Read the reviews , they scam everyone by not having you check the car over before you leave and then claiming damage that you caused when you return the car, that you did not cause. Never giving you the same car you signed up for and treating their customers like crap!

LP
August 5th, 2019 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS

I would like to tell you about my experience with your company as I was visiting in Israel. I rented a vehicle on line from 07/12 to 07/19/19 from you location in Petach Tikva, Israel. On Friday 07/12/19 we arrived to pick up the vehicle (We requested an SUV if possible) we were told the vehicle we wanted was not available and instead we will be upgraded to an Audi 1000. During the weekend as we were driving we realized that there was no USB outlet to charge our phone. On Sunday, 07/14 we arrived at the office again since we needed to have the ability to charge our phones quite often. The maintenance guy tried to fix the problem and after about 45 minutes told us it can't be done and that we should go back to the counter and get a different vehicle. We advised the clerk of the problem and she said she can't help us. She has no vehicle available. We asked to speak to a manager and were referred to Shani, the manager. When we explained the issue, her initial answer was"Show me in the contract that we are required to provide you with a USB in the vehicle." my brother and I tried to explain to her that it also doesn't list anything else such as wheels, radio or seats in the contract. She became very rude and started saying "well, if the two of you are going to gang on me, I can't help" At this point I tried to explain to her that is was very important that I have a way to charge my phone, we were driving down to Eilat and she said that there is road service and we can call them and they will come to us. I politely explained to her that if my phone was not charged I won't be able to call road service. She did not care. At the end I asked her to give us another vehicle or refund me fully for the vehicle. She then said she will have another vehicle but we have to wait until it's cleaned and prepped. I also asked to speak to the branch manager and was told by her the she was the branch manager. I asked for the phone number to the corporate office and she wouldn't give it to me. Finally after waiting fore another 45 minutes, We were given a vehicle. I have rented vehicles from Sixt before and from many other Car Rental companies and was never treated with such disrespect and lack of customer service. I can tell you that in the future I will not rent from Sixt again.

Helmut
August 1st, 2019 DETAILS

Visiting UK from Aus, I needed to hire a car from Manchester to London. After reading reviews was put off Sixt at first. But Avis was going to cost about twice as much (rental car prices in UK are ridiculous compared to Aus) so thought I'd give it a go. The staff were well-presented, friendly and helpful. Without being asked, the guy walked me to my car and showed me the features. This has never happened to me with car rental before. Drop off and billing were fine.

Mikko
August 1st, 2019 Walnut Creek, CA DETAILS

I should have checked this site before renting with Sixt. I would have given them Zero stars if I could. PLEASE READ BELOW EXPERIENCE SO YOU DON'T EXPERIENCE THE SAME NIGHTMARE WE DID! I picked up the car at Lisbon (Portugal) airport on May 12, 2019 . Here are the problems I encountered: 1. We waited almost an hour to get a car and the customer service rep was rude about this. His excuse was that the counter was understaffed. 2. On our way from Lisbon to Lagos, a warning light saying "car key batteries needed replaced". We couldn't turn around since this was already about an hour into our trip. We called Sixt customer service and they told us to get a new battery from another Sixt branch in Lagos. There was no nearby Sixt branch but we finally got the replacement at a Renault car dealership. We wasted 2 hours of vacation time resolving this problem. 3. When it was time to return the car back on May 19, 2019 at the Lisbon airport, Sixt computers were down so they could not process our return and could not give us a refund on the key battery we replaced. We told them to inspect the car to make sure they note that there are no new damages to the car (it had existing scratches and dents noted on the invoice). They refused to do the inspection without the computers running. We had to leave the car with them as we were catching a flight. 3. A week later, we get an email from Sixt charging us an additional 500 Euro claiming that we put a scratch on the tire and rim of the car. When we were in Lagos, we rarely used the car as we took Uber to the city center a lot and we were a 100% sure we were not the ones that damaged this car as they claimed. 4. We referred the claims to our credit card insurance as Sixt was relentless in falsely claiming that we damaged their car. They were eventually paid by the credit card insurance on 6/25/19 . We got a copy of the check from the insurance company to prove this. 5. Today, July 31,2019, we received another email from Sixt that they have not been paid and proceeded to charge our credit card the 500 Euro. Seems like our nightmare is not over yet. Now we have to send back pictures of the proof of payment to Sixt as well as dispute the charges on the credit card!

Anthony Johnson
August 1st, 2019 Orlando, FL DETAILS

I rented from the Orlando , Florida location I allowed a family member to return a vehicle for me. The agent gave them another vehicle in my name when they wasn't authorized on my rental. Then I was charged over $800 after constantly calling them regarding them giving a vehicle to someone that's not authorized on the rental agreement they agree to refund me the fees for the other vehicle. Then all of sudden I get another charge for $213 for a cleaning fee on the vehicle that they gave to someone who wasn't listed on my rental agreement. I was advised that I would get a credit for that amount then I checked my credit credit today and it's another charge for $213.00. This has been the worst rental car company I have ever dealt with. This was my first time using them and my last. So now I have to call them again regarding another fee.

Chester
August 1st, 2019 DETAILS

If I could give a 0 that's what they would deserve. From start to finish an absolute shambles. I made an enquiry about the vehicle and never reserved any sort of communication of confirmation or not. I had to contact them after 35 mins of waiting got told it was cancelled. So I made another booking which was more expensive then to be told I had 2 confirmed bookings. The pickup, driving and drop off experience was all fine and ran smoothly. Afterwards I had been charged for 2 days of hire instead of just 1. Which was finally refunded after 2 weeks. However the worst thing was being accused of damage to rear of the vehicle. After appealing it I did not receive a response for 3 weeks. I had to chase them several times for this. They then said I was liable for the damage as we do a check within 4 hours of the return. It took them 5 days to get back to me with damage report. Once I got the invoice of a disgusting amount and showing the damage 4 weeks later. The damage they accused me of was already on the vehicle before I had taken it of site. Luckily I had taken a photo of the vehicle on site. It is disgusting trying to get more money out of people. They say they do checks obviously this wasn't done. 5 weeks had gone since I hired the vehicle and they finally cancelled the charge of £700 for a 3cm scratch. The only positive thing but it shouldn't have got to this at all. So from this experience always take photos of the vehicle and always check before agreeing to anything they say. ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE! If you want a stress-free hiring experience go elsewhere and not with Sixt.

Monique
July 30th, 2019 Watervliet, NY DETAILS

The first day we picked up the rental vehicle the customer service at the counter was undesirable; finally get the keys to the vehicle get almost to the hotel and the check tire pressure light comes on. All the air pressure for the tires were unbalanced. The next morning I get in the vehicle to start my day and the check coolant light is on. Although I called customer service to make them aware of the mechanical issues, I really was not compensated other than suggesting I bring the car back to the Sixt Car Rental at the airport for an exchange. Sixt is supposed to be a high end vehicle rental agency so they should have gone above and beyond to rectify the issue by BRINGING me an exchange vehicle. When I got to the airport the rep tried to tell me that because I booked the rental through Expedia, it was why I was having mechanical issues with the vehicle stating Expedia rents their cars past 10,000 miles. To me that was not an acceptable answer considering the vehicle was in the care of Sixt Car Rental. I would not rent through Sixt again.

Christian van den Branden
July 30th, 2019 Boston, MA DETAILS

Aweful company. I booked a reservation online. My tarvel dates changed at the last minute. I tried to change the reservation once I got to my destination (a week earlier than originally planned). The sixt agent was completely unhelpful, told me she could not adjust the reservation and I had to get a brand new one, then call to cancel the prior one. I canceled the reservation but did not take a new one as they were charging me double the original cost. I then received an invoice where they charged me full price even though I canceled a week in advance. I was finally able to lower the fee to $100 which is still outrageous. I will never use them again. Avis was much friendlier and immediately arranged for a car for me at much lower price than sixt

John Sweeney
July 25th, 2019 DETAILS

Unreliable and a big problem trying to get through on the telephone. After speaking to 4 people who were unable to do anything. I was told to read the small print in the contract. So read my big print you are RUBBISH! never again.

mbg729
July 23rd, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

It's hard to even give them 1 star. This company is awful. It is very difficult to get through to them to reach an actual person if you need to speak to someone. We needed to cancel a trip and it would not work online so we had to call and speak to someone. They told us to first re-book, and then they would refund the previous amount. (several hundred dollars). Two weeks later, we still did not have a refund. We called again. They said "it went through on our end, check with your credit card company". They refused to provide us with any type of confirmation of the refund, and said that AMEX doesn't do that. (which makes no sense!) They have given us the run around so many times and we truly feel they are a very deceitful company. We have called and emailed multiple times. We have asked to speak with a manager. Nothing has been resolved. They won't answer emails and a manger won't contact us. We finally turned it over to our credit card company to deal with. The sad part is that they lost a good customer (one that rents cars A LOT). I will NEVER ever use them again, and I will make sure that others know they are not honest and reputable.

Hak
July 19th, 2019 Scotch Plains, NJ DETAILS

I booked a Jeep but they did not have it. I decided to go to next booth over, which is Enterprise, but Sixt gave me a Cadillac SUV for no extra charge. I asked the Sixt guy twice,”How much more will this upgrade be?”, and he said twice, “Dint worry, I’m not charging you for upgrading!” And they gave me an unwashed Cadillac SUV, but I didn’t complain because I was told it was a “free upgrade”! Of course, when I got my bill I was charged almost $200+ more. I called customer service and the representative, who seems as if she was prepared for a complaint, was more so trying to “find a loophole” in my story. At the end, they refunded me $20 bucks for the car being “unwashed” and that was it. I will spend every opportunity I have berating this company because they literally took advantage of a good customer. You know that feeling like you was just ripped off and there’s nothing you can do about it? Yup! That’s me right now!

JWG
July 18th, 2019 Stillwater, MN DETAILS

I used sixt for past 2 years when I flew into ATL and they had been GREAT! Then I accidentally left my personal car keys in the rental car...filled out their little lost and found report...it took 20 days of leaving messages and calling all the phone numbers on the internet to actually talk to a human. Ironically the day I talked to a human, they found the keys 30 minutes later...WHAT a stroke of luck! Then the had the audacity to charge nearly $30 to FEDEX my keys back. Hey, it was my fault the keys were left in the car...but 30 bucks!?!? You have lost my business on principal. Get some real people answering your phones...no one likes automated systems, no one.

Brandy
July 18th, 2019 Dallas, TX DETAILS

First of all, I rented with Sixt in California and it was a breeze! Now lets talk about the confirmation in DALLAS! Horrible! Horrible the CS rep Janova was VERY RUDE first she answers and then hangs up on me, then when I called back to state my issue she was talking over me JUST RUDE! Told me the van was not avbl on my days but didn't offer a different solution. If I could give - stars I would! I will NEVER EVER rent with them again!

Lu Rene Silva-Ball
July 16th, 2019 Huntersville, NC DETAILS

First they didn’t have the car that I rented they advertise Mercedes to get people to rent from them, then they should give you a Mercedes and besides I called to have them reserve the Mercedes for me! second the Lincoln MZK they gave me was all dirty , was very filthy and third as soon as I left the rental place, the gas amount was a little lower than full when I returned the same, i filled Until the gas pumped stopped and a little extra, and drove there 10 miles to return, the needle was a little below full just as they gave me, they charge me $38 for my gas. I DON’T RECOMMEND AND WILL NOT RRNT HERE AGSIN!

Adrian
July 16th, 2019 DETAILS

Tried to book Sixt Seattle car rental online - error message - emailed customer service - no worries just send reservations team email with your requirements - done - reservations team - you need to go back to customer service - now one week on from original website enquiry - "One of our dedicated Sixt agents will be getting back to you pretty quickly, just like our quick cars!" doh?

Alan Moore
July 12th, 2019 DETAILS

Buyer beware when booking through Expedia for TD On a recent golf trip to Ireland, I rented a car from SIXT out of Dublin Airport through Expedia for TD. When my friend and I arrived to pick up the car, we were asked what type of insurance we would need. I explained we had travel insurance on our credit card for $65,000 Canadian, and would not require additional insurance. The clerk (Robert) said we needed a letter from our Credit Card provider declaring that. I asked Robert that on time of booking, nowhere did it mention anything about a letter from our Credit Card provider. If it did, we would have asked for one, and how was I supposed to get one now! Robert said we could take full coverage for 1,500 euros, I again said I didn’t need additional coverage. He then, dropped it to 800 euro, and then 500 euro, his final deal “as he called it” was 340 euro. Robert did not show us a legal insurance document, it was hand written on a piece of paper! If the insurance was 1500 euro, how was he able to “make us a deal” and keep dropping it? I told him to cancel the booking and I will go to another rental company. His reply was, all rental companies within the airport required the same letter from the credit card company. I immediately went to the next Rental Company beside them “AVIS”, and asked them about the letter, and they said they did not require one. I asked the SIXT agent to cancel the rental and he said he would. We went to AVIS and were on our way in 15 minutes with no hassles. As far as I am concerned SIXT just try to rip people off for as much as they can get away with. I would never recommend renting from SIXT as they are just a disgusting company to deal with! When I arrived back home, SIXT did not cancel the rental and had taken the full amount, NICE COMPANY!!! When I called Expedia for TD, they told me that it stated in the itinerary “Your rental may have mandatory, local insurance requirements”. When I clicked on it, it opened a window to Expedia for TD, and said nothing about insurance. Make sure you read all the fine print (if you can find it!) as Expedia for TD will take your money or travel points, and does nothing to make the required vendor perform. On my last trip to Ireland I took the bus from Dublin airport and rented a car from Enterprise in Belfast, no issues. I without question would highly recommend AVIS or Enterprise. I WOULD NEVER EVER RENT A CAR FROM SIXT AGAIN. Also, I very much doubt if I would book through Expedia for TD either.

BGPI
July 12th, 2019 DETAILS

Only giving it one star as can't post a review otherwise - it would be zero if I could!!!! You might think you're getting a good deal but it's not a Ryanair recommended partner for nothing. Got hit with a charge for damage that had nothing to do with me. Naively thought when the guy at returns said "no need to review the car" he was a genuine fella.....but nope! Set up and taken advantage of. Use anyone else apart from these p......eople. 'nuff said!

Jeff Wilson
July 12th, 2019 DETAILS

I just recently rented with Sixt was lured by renting a luxury German car. I had 2 rentals one in Croatia and another in Germany. Both rentals I have concerns with. Just to set the scene I tent cars almost weekly at work and have never had 1 issue in 10 years with Budget Thrifty and Avis. The first issue was in Croatia where the agent was trying to upsell me on everything talking about the differences in culture how this would be problematic if there was an accident. She eventually convinced me to take some extra insurance for peace of mind. I was tired from my flight and was uncomfortable with the risks she was describing. We agreed on a total price on the car of $2200 Australian dollars which she told me included a 400 euro deposit. This would have made the total to be about approx $1600 aud. When I was charged I was charged $1920 aud after the deposit despite no defects or fines. She had added the premium package as well as fuel. I contacted Sixt customer service which was difficult and they did not care. She confused me with the exchange rates and the deposit which Sixt applies and then added extra charges. Beware to check the detail in your receipt. Additionally despite a lengthy conversation on cross border requirements she did not inform me of what I neede to travel in Slovenia costing me a $300 euro fine. Do your own homework don’t trust Sixt On my second rental I returned the vehicle with a full tank the vehicle was inspected and signed off yet I have a 200 euro charge that I am still trying to find out why it was charged. To my dismay I did research Sixt after experiencing these issues and was horrified at how many other people had similar experiences. Beware

Angela Rua
July 12th, 2019 Rahway, NJ DETAILS

In July, I rented a car from Lisbon Portugal. First they tried to sell me an upgrade and then gave me an upgrade stating that they didn't have the vehicle class I rented anymore. When I walked into the garage, I did notice that they had the class but traveling will two kids in the middle of the night, I just wanted to leave. When I checked the car in the dark garage, I noticed a dent and that the car was filthy. I turned around and told the attendant to make notice of the state of the car. He told me that Sixt states that dents are considered scratches on the form. Indeed it did state that the SUV had a scratch in the location of the dent as he circled it. He also wrote that the SUV was dirty. When I got to my location, a family memeber pointed out to me that the tires were bald. I took pictures of the tires and emailed customer service immediatly. They advided me to reture the SUV to the closet location. I returned the car the next day. When I retured the car, I told the attended about the tires and the dent. He was shocked that they allowed a car to leave the station in this condition. He was able to tell that the dent along with another scratch on a rim was older than 24 hrs and stated that the vehicle left the station in this condition. I email the company various times with my concerns and they sent me a refund of $30 euros for tolls. In January I get an email with a statement of the damages. I have never delt with a company like this in my life! A. This company makes you sign the car condition paperwork before you even leave their office. B. They wait until they think you do not have proof and only send the paperwork that you sign at the kiosk. C. They only gave me the upgrade because they saw I was a woman traveling with two children so they could get away with charging me for the damages.

Janet
July 8th, 2019 Cornelius, OR DETAILS

I am just now seeing the reviews of Sixt Rent a Car. Had I found these reviews prior to my online arrangements I would never have done business with them. The restricted area unlimited mileage wasn't stated in my reservation and was an unexpected exorbitant charge. But I had a hero at the desk ! I am 71 and not very savy on the computer. Alfredo went out of his way to help me. He was patient and very helpful. So 5+ stars for Alfredo but Sixt policies and business practices definitely -1. All the best Alfredo !!

Kenneth
July 8th, 2019 Fort Myers, FL DETAILS

I wish I could give less then one star. Beware of there tactics. Do not rent from these people. If you do you better check the car from top to bottom. Because if you don't they will make a claim against you. HORRIBLE!!

Lani
July 8th, 2019 Pittsboro, NC DETAILS

I give them a BIG ZERO NO STARS!!!! As the guy explains below about his experience in Denver. It’s definitely a bait & switch! I booked in January for $280 for a Mercedes 3LA. Told us they didn’t have one so the guy acts like he is trying very hard to find us a car that is close for the same price. We end up with a BMW X3 for $800, then we are on the road going through tolls and it says to pay tolls go Online to rental car website because they don’t allow customer to pay the toll online. Call the customer service line. Oh you need to pay $76 for unlimited tolls. No one told us anything about this at the car rental area. We get to the drop off in San Francisco at 3:45am to drop off the car. The shuttle takes us to the “Air Train” instead of the terminal to catch our flight. We take the train, escalator and two elevators before we get to the Terminal. What is this???!!!! Not service !! We asked someone if cars or rental shuttles were allowed to drop off at the terminals and were told yes. The driver was just LAZY!!! I would NEVER RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY!

Seth Roby
July 8th, 2019 Indianapolis, IN DETAILS

Very poor service. If you willing to pay for previous damages, then this is your place, otherwise go elsewhere. Just rented a van from here, and was told there was damage on the luggage rack after returning. Never even used it, and have no way to if I wanted. They immediately asked about it upon returning, very shady business here.

shoedog27
July 2nd, 2019 Irma, WI

If you're wondering what Sixt stands for, it's "Bait and Switch". Rented a car at Denver 6-22-19. First of all it's not near most "real" rental car company locations at DIA, but way off property. Secondly when we get there, there's a pretty long line. Not that big a deal except line isn't moving. Several people in line complain at the time it's taking. When we finally get to counter, we learn why it took so long. Every customer at counter, including us, are being told the car they thought they had rented was not available. We were told they only had one model left in that class. They vehicle clearly wasn't the same class as what we thought we had booked. The agent immediately goes into hard sell about how she could upgrade us into the next class. They also inform me that my if my wife will be driving they need to charge an extra $90. Avis, Budget and Enterprise do not charge for this. In total frustration, I demand a refund. They inform me that since I prepaid the reservation, no refund can be provided. So what initially was supposed to cost $500 ended up costing $788. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS! THEY ARE CROOKS!

Jim
June 28th, 2019 Louisville, OH DETAILS

Rented a vehicle in Croatia and turned it in when the office was closed. Returned home and never received an invoice. When I emailed to get a copy there were unauthorized upgrade charges on my bill. I filed a complaint and was basically told too bad. I will not use them again.

Brennan
June 28th, 2019 Dallas, TX

This was an absolute horrible experience. Upon arriving it looked like a "fun" company to rent a vehicle from. They had bright lights, great music playing and vibrant colors at their on the walls and desks. That doesn't make up for the complete lack of customer service. Not a single employee acknowledged us when we walked in to rent a vehicle from them. When we tried to ask for assistance we were met with disgust, a bad attitude and annoyed looks from the ALL of the staff. It was as if we were bothering them for wanting to rent a car from their company. the staff was much more interested in checking their phones and talking amongst themselves. When an employee finally decided to help us their was complete lack of professionalism or manners in general. It was as if I was booking a rental car with a 10 year old child. They were not polite, courteous, or friendly. It was an awful experience. We were already wanting to leave but we figured if we are here let's just get the car and leave. The deciding factor for us to leave was when they told us we could not drive our "unlimited mile rental" outside of a VERY small region or we will accrue a $.50/mile charge on TOP of the rental price. I do NOT recommend this company purely based on their lack of customer service, let alone their rental restrictions.

K Bjorn
June 25th, 2019 North Pole, AK DETAILS

Very bad experience my first and last time using sixt. I was charged for pre-existing damage. I will never use this company again.

Tasha
June 25th, 2019 Bridgeport, CT

On June 19th I arrived to Sixt to pick up my prepaid rental upon arrival I walked up to Sahar (which she also told me that that was not her name on the name tag when it was SMH) who proceeded to to tell that I was there to pick up a pre paid reservation I was asked for the card I paid with it and unfortunately I did not have the card with me due to a an incident that I encountered the day before so I explained the situation to Sahar who did not care had an attitude and mocked me and explained to me that she was not going to help me anymore. So stood there for 5 mins and asked her to get me a manager she stated that she called them and I said I did not see you pick up the phone she said she pushed a button on the computer. Then 50 mins I’m still waiting for a manager I asked her where was the manager she said that the manger called her back to say they seen and heard everything through the cameras and they were not going to rent me a car anymore and I said what do you mean she said exactly what I said we not renting you a car and she said the same way I pre paid is the same way I better request my money. She then called security who came up and asked Raymond the agent if everything was okay he said yes there was no issue. When I thought she was on the phone with the manager she was actually on the phone with security. I became very upset and called customer service line who explained to me that I needed to pay for the price of rental again with the deposit on new card and to go to another to get my rental. So I ended up being assisted by Raymond who was extremely helpful did not give me any issues hit me in my rental within 5 mins. Unfortunately I will not rent from Sixt ever again even one person (Raymond) made it better for me I still wouldn’t because of Sahar. Sahar should not be there assisting people if she is going to lie on customers who are always supposed to be right.

Citydude
June 20th, 2019 Peoria, IL DETAILS

do not rent anything from these scam artist. wife and I were researching good deals on car rentals. looked like a good deal wasn't . immediately canceled. they charge us the full amount.

gpm
June 20th, 2019 Spring, TX DETAILS

This company will overwhelm you with excitement upgrading you to a luxury car without additional charge. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR RENTAL CAR FOR ANY BLEMISHES, SCRATCHES, DENTS, ETC AND TAKE PICTURES. They will come back and charge you later on. They gave me a Jaguar XJ for a day last August, 2018 and later emailed me about a scratch found on one of the corners. My fault was I didn't go over the car at the office, so it came back and haunted me. Lesson learned. I do not recommend this company.

Lauren Whiting
June 17th, 2019 Le Roy, NY DETAILS

If I could give lower than 1 star, I would. This is the worst company I have EVER dealt with. Horrible customer service. They blamed US for things that were broken on their car. The cigarette lighter/adapter did not work so our GPS died within 10 minutes of having the car. We had tours and things to be on so could not go back and return. We then had to buy a data package for the GPS and they wouldn't refund us anything. Then, the car wouldn't start one day and they blamed us and made us pay for the service mechanic. Absolutely horrible. Will NEVER EVER UES AGAIN! AVOID!!!! You will not save money with them at all by the end of your rental because they charge for everything.

Michael
June 14th, 2019 DETAILS

Sixt Rental Cars will perform random mechanical checks. If they find any hidden problem, you'll be charged for the repair, even if you didn't cause it. For example, if a clutch is worn due to a previous driver but the problem only becomes apparent during your rental, they will charge you for it. In Madeira, they charged me €4142 to replace a part worn clutch which drive perfectly normally.

Samira
June 14th, 2019 DETAILS

Horrible horrible experience. I booked with them through Expedia to rent a car while I travelled to Corfu, Greece. When I got there, they wouldn't allow me to collect the car as they did not understand my licence from Barbados, however they told me I was able to receive a refund. I was able to rent a car from every other car rental company in Corfu that I contacted. When I returned from my trip, the company denied my refund due to their 'policy' although it was no fault of my own that they wouldn't allow me to rent with them. Stole my money and horrible customer service would not recommend this company to anyone.

Alex
June 7th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

Do not use them under any circumstances. left me with no car at midnight in FLL. Was treated extremely poorly.

A Geddes
June 7th, 2019 DETAILS

Only Giving this company a 1 star rating as there is nothing lower available!! Went to collect my hire car from Manchester Airport branch UK. Sixt assistant requested driving licence & two proof of address letters. Said I would email them two electronic bank statements with addresses on them. Was then told only paper copies accepted, at no where in the terms & conditions does it state only paper copies accepted. The assistant thought this was highly amusing & could only laugh rather than give any help or solutions. Decided to call Sixt reservation phone number & ask for the rental requirements, was informed electronic copies are sufficient. Still the assistant wouldn't allow me to collect the car. Was then informed by the reservation team to just cancel the booking & then claim it back by using the email address provided. I did all this & then heard no response back from sixt customer services. The only time they contacted me was when I got my credit card company involved. over 9 months later down the line I have now received a letter from a German debt collector company on behalf of Sixt rent a car, claiming I now owe them over 600 euros. The only good experience about this whole process was the customer service provided by Europcar, by being able to supply me with a car within short notice.

G. Connectal
June 7th, 2019 Honolulu, HI DETAILS

Rented a vehicle at Denver and declined the additional $59.00 a day insurance since I am covered under my own policy. 2 days after the return of the vehicle I received the receipt and they still charged me the $59.00 a day. I sent an email to there customer service and no reply. I will have to dispute the charge through my credit card company. Stay away from this shady business.