SIXT started out with three locations and grew into an international company with locations throughout the United States. Currently, the company is present in 105 countries across the globe with over 2,000 branch locations. SIXT purchases more than 200,000 vehicles annually and owns the world's largest fleet of premium German cars.

The Good

• Vehicle Types
  • Price Range
  • Toll Prepay Option
  • Online Check-In

Vehicle Types

The SIXT vehicle fleet hosts models from German favorites like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi. Vehicle types include:

• Convertibles
  • Luxury cars
  • Minivans
  • SUVs
  • Passenger vans

Price Range

SIXT offers vehicles ranging in average prices in the car rental industry. While the prices are not necessarily low, SIXT's car selection is of a higher quality than many economy budget car rentals. The car make and models are newer and more modern so if that is important to you then the average cost is more than worth paying. Regardless of the price listed for a car, though, SIXT boasts a Best Price Guarantee.

Toll Prepay Option

A very convenient feature is the ability to order toll passes through the company's website. Having a toll pass makes your commute easier when you travel. This comes as part of the online check-in.

Online Check-In

You can check in your car from SIXT's website instead of the rental counter using one of two options: the online check-in portal via the website or the on-site terminal. After you sign in and check in with your reservation number, you go to SIXT's express counter and swap your signature for the car keys. For the terminal option, follow these steps:

1. Insert your Sixt Express Card or credit card into the terminal.
  2. The terminal detects your card automatically and shows you the reservation. You also have the option of booking extras at this point, such as winter tires.
  3. Select your car out of three vehicle options.
  4. Confirm the booking details and print your rental agreement.
  5. Open the safe and take the vehicle keys.

This makes checking in easy and fast and eliminates the issue of long lines that you get with other car rental companies.

The Bad

• Limited U.S. Availability
  • No Instant Return
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

Limited U.S. Availability

SIXT has rental car locations in 15 states, so your options are limited in the United States. Sixt has rental counters at some major airports throughout North America, but not as many as some competitors. For instance, most rental companies have counters at JFK, LaGuardia, or Newark airports in the New York City area and SIXT does not. On the plus side, SIXT is worldwide, so it is likely to cover your international travel needs.

No Instant Return

SIXT lacks an instant return option where you can leave the car with the keys inside. You must return the vehicle to a rental office (or other identified location) on the date and time specified in your rental agreement.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

SIXT does not offer discounts for fueling your vehicle on-site. If a customer returns the car low on gas, SIXT charges a $50 fee.

The Bottom Line

If you're itching to try out a new or luxury car, look no further than SIXT. With quick check-in, no hidden costs, and free cancellation, SIXT is all about convenience. However, the company is not readily available throughout North America, especially in smaller states and cities.

1.3

Sue
October 15th, 2019 Waukesha, WI DETAILS

If I could give Sixt, San Diego a zero, I would. Sixt has charged me with damages to the rental car that I did not cause. Fraudulent pictures of damage were sent stating I caused the damage. Upon my return of a Kia Forte at the San Diego Airport on July 17, 2019, a Sixt representative approached to check in the vehicle. Below are the events that occurred: Circling the car, she marked the inside (wheel well) of the driver's side wheel arch with an orange highlighting marker. I thought this was very odd that she went directly to the inside of the wheel well. I asked what she was doing and she said there was a small scratch inside the wheel arch. She proceeded to take a photo with her phone camera. I approached the vehicle, wiping part of the orange highlighter with my finger and told her that it comes off and there was no visible scratch. She mentioned that even though the mark was very small, she would turn this into the Claims Department and they would contact me within four days if there was a problem or a claim. I informed her that I did not cause any damage to the vehicle. Two other adults in my party were present and witnessed all interactions during the check in process. They also looked at the vehicle and could not identify any scratch. I did not receive any contact within the four day period that she mentioned, so I believed the issue was resolved. There was no further contact until your email on September 2, 2019. The pictures of the vehicle in their September email are not the "mark" that was identified on July 17 upon my return. The damage that was in the photos was in front of the wheel well -front side of car and wrapping around to the front bumper. To be able to make a correct determination of their claim, I requested time stamped photos of the damage along with the receipt that the work was completed on the vehicle and vehicle condition reports/incident reports for the vehicle I rented. I requested this by September 15 and have not received anything to date. I am certain this damage was not on the car when I returned it. I would like Sixt to be investigated since fraudulent claims seem to be a pattern for them and I would like all charges dropped. I wrote a letter to the BBB on September 26, 2019 and a representative from Sixt contacted me and said because I wrote a letter to the BBB, they dropped the amount of damage from $513 to $380. On October 8, 2019, I spoke to a representative from Sixt and he stated that there is no time and date stamp on any of their photos. I doubt this. I am sure if it was legitimate damage, they could certainly provide that. He also stated he would not provide any incident reports for the vehicle prior to or after my rental. He did state that the vehicle is currently out for rent and will be returning in three days. He also stated that the vehicle never went in for repairs. I asked that a photo be taken of the car in its' current condition because I am certain that the damage they are stating is not on the vehicle I rented. Well that rental period of 3 days has come and gone and guess what, still no pictures. If there actually was damage, i'm sure I'd have those pictures by now. This Company should be embarrassed of how they do business. Their dishonestly and lack of integrity is a disgrace to the Sixt family name. Unfortunately, for Hotwire, if they keep offering deals with businesses like Sixt, I will not do business with them either.

Jen V.
October 15th, 2019 Dayton, OH DETAILS

Be aware of toll roads! We were not given the option to pre-pay for tolls. Three weeks after our trip we received an invoice that our tolls totaled $11.78 but SIXT charged us an additional $50 .00 for "Administration Fee Toll." We drove through South FL to Key West so tolls were unavoidable. We have rented from other companies in states with frequent tolls and and have never been charged an administration fee. and typically we are able to use the "fast pass" lanes to avoided this type of issue. Also, we reserved a Mercedes and ended up with a Volvo....NOT the same quality in our opinion.

Frank
October 15th, 2019 Palatine, IL DETAILS

This company is a joke. Returned our car they found a littlest tiniest scratch and Are trying to charge me $500 for it. Unreal. I rented at Tampa Airport. The guy literally told me don’t worry about it the insurance companies pay for it anyway.

Tommie L
October 15th, 2019 Dallas, GA DETAILS

They have nice new cars and the staff is friendly and professional. It’s the least stressful rental or travel arrangement I have ever had to deal with. Actually with the miles I drive for work me renting a car from them is cheaper then buying a new one and paying a big insurance bill and maintenance. Brittany B has been especially efficient and always brought me a fresh new car out within minutes. She is definitely is off the charts when it comes to customer service.

harish
October 14th, 2019 DETAILS

Not sure why they are inbussoness almost imposspible to contact. Someone need to review there cancellation policy. Why it cost more than actual rental charge? still it is ok...

Michael
October 11th, 2019 Santa Cruz, CA DETAILS

I rented a car with Sixt for five days without incident. Did the walk around with the agent upon return, no problems. A full week after my return I receive notification that there is a scratch on the car and a bill for $450. My five attempts to get the information to file a claim with my insurer were met with the company continuing to send my contract and pictures of the car. They would not directly answer any of the questions that were posed to them or provide additional information.

Daryl
October 11th, 2019 DETAILS

Rented in Amsterdam. Car had A LOT of minor damage documented on the contract. When we returned the car we did a walk around with the attendant and all was fine. A week later I get a notice for damages that were there when we first rented the car. Totally Bogus! Stay away from this company!!

David Arthur
October 11th, 2019 DETAILS

This company is deceiving. I rented a car online. When arriving, the car was not as large as they said it would be. They said I had to take insurance (something not disclosed beforehand). The day before they said that there were car seats available and that I could pick one up on the day of my rental. When I arrived, the agent said that she would go get one. She came back and said that they didn't have one for an infant. She said I could cancel my reservation but that I would need to contact Customer Service. You are forced to deal with Customer Service in country, not in the US in your language and with different customer service levels. They end the end said that they would still charge me for the rental I never picked up. Simply, I couldn't rent something that I could not drive with a 2 year old child. I wasn't going to be forced to take insurance that I didn't need, etc. The customer service is horrible. I will never rent here again and I highly recommend that everyone look at the other companies. You get what you pay for.

Ellen Morris
October 9th, 2019 Potomac, MD

I found Sixt Rent a Car to be unreliable and a bit sketchy. I did not feel like the process of renting it was as clean and seamless as it has been with other car rentals.

Alex
October 8th, 2019 DETAILS

STAY AWAY!!! THE WORST COMPANY!!! On Monday, 12th of August 2019, after a long trip from Greece, I arrived in the airport of Edinburgh with my wife and I went to the reception of Sixt, in order to receive the car of my reservation and to begin our honeymoon. There, something beyond belief happened. Sixt's employees rejected my VALID EU driving license because it did not have english letters, according to the "company's policy". As a result of this I had to go to EVERY SINGLE company in the rental center, in order to find an available car in the FULL SEASON of August. After THREE hours I finally rented a car from Europcar. My first day of my honeymoon was ruined because of Sixt, as I arrived to Glasgow, where I had booked a hotel, at 23:00! When I asked the employees in what policy they were reffering to, showing to them the official policy from the official site of Sixt, they pointed to me the paragraph for the non EU licenses. When Greece became a non EU country??? Their policy said clearly: "Valid driving licences of all other EU countries are accepted in the UK without further preconditions". Every other company accepted my VALID EU driving license, with my VALID EU ID for translation. They just did not have any available car, except of Europcar, because of the full season. That's why I had made a reservation in Sixt and I paid for this, 8 months ago, in order to guarantee a car. Also, the employees told me that I would receive a mail for a refund and that on Tuesday (13/08/2019) the manager would call me. I did not receive any mail or phone call. They led me to such a hassle and they didn't even contact me!! That is UNACCEPTABLE!!! Stay away in order to avoid a similar hassle!! I paid the double amount of money and I did not received any refund!

Aida
October 8th, 2019 Mountain View, CA DETAILS

Horrible customer service and their app. I booked it on my name and asked to change to my husband’s name when we actually arrived at the rental. We wanted to have one driver and they said they can’t change the name! Therefore they charged us money for an extra driver.

Susan
October 8th, 2019 DETAILS

Stay away from this car rental company! We will never rent a car from this company again. Several day after we returned the car at Philadelphia airport SIXT, we received an email asking us to fill out a damage claim form for two scratches that have mentioned on the car rental contract when we pickup the car.

Greg B
October 2nd, 2019 DETAILS

Beyond a doubt this is a big scam. I did not damage the car yet a few days later there is a claim for underbody damages. I know this is pure BS but what can one do? This company should be shut down. Please rent from a real and reputable car company not some scam artist. Worst experience ever from the moment I arrive and it does not end there. From a $3500 credit card hold on rental to the claim of damages. Really Sixt??? How are you still in business. Worst company ever. I should have know better but I got sucked in by nice cars at reasonable prices.

MK
October 1st, 2019 Excelsior, MN DETAILS

Buyer beware! Do not be fooled. There is a reason this company is the cheapest rate you are going to see when looking for rentals. They suck you in because the process of booking is very streamlined and quick and the prices are way better than the other companies out there. At pickup, you will most likely be upgraded for a small fee to a nicer car. THIS WILL HAUNT YOU LATER in the form of an invoice for the difference between the original car you rented and the upgrade. BUT YOU WILL HAVE ALREADY PAID THAT DIFFERENCE WHEN YOU PICKED UP YOUR CAR. Also, do yourself a favor and do your own walk around the vehicle when you pick up the car. Take tons of photos and do a slow pan video of the entire car. RECORD EVERY SCRATCH AND DING because the real scam starts when you go to drop off your car at the end. The agent will walk around the car looking at the “damage”. They will say that they see some damage, but they are willing to wave it this one time. Take note of what they are making down, because that is what you will be arguing about later. When you get home, you will receive an invoice for damage to the vehicle. Even when you respond with your photos and video, there will be a whole lot of waiting and back and forth arguing about nothing. This company runs a giant racket. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Jeff
September 30th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

If I could give Sixt a negative star rating I would. We booked our car rental through Expedia.com for a Sixt car and the price I was shown through Expedia was $407.26 for the week. We just got done with our trip and the charge on my credit card was $829.96! I have reached out to Sixt.com multiple times and not one person has responded to my inquiries about the charge. This company is fraudulent and should not be trusted. I would recommend going through a rental company that has a better track record than Sixt. They clearly are mastering the art of the ripoff as opposed to creating loyal clients by dedicating themselves to a high level of customer service.

Stephan Papa
September 30th, 2019 Denver, CO DETAILS

Beware. They are deceitful; they charged me for a fraudulent claim; it started with the agent at the Porto, Portugal airport selling me up to an expensive car saying I needed it for the mountains, then they didn't go over the car with me to check for damage before giving it to me, then they charged me for a full tank of gas instead of giving me the option of bringing it back full, and then they claimed a windshield speck, which they said happened during my time driving the car, required a new windshield and charged me for it. I will never rent from Sixt again and caution you to beware.

Krystyna
September 30th, 2019 DETAILS

Worse rental company ever. Dishonest !!!! I hope that my review saves somebody from the horrible experience we had with this company.

FuqSixt
September 26th, 2019 DETAILS

Worse rental company ever. Keep your receipts because they’ll charge you astronomical amounts weeks later claiming system errors. STAY AWAY FROM THIS FRAUDULENT COMPANY!

Varoujan
September 24th, 2019 Burbank, CA DETAILS

When I made reservations with Sixt through Expedia, I was quoted a certain price for UNLIMITED MILES. At the airport in Riga they told me that my quote was for 100km/day and for every extra mile I will be charged a certain fee/mile. I had no choice but to rent the car but then had to cancel some of my trips because of distance. I called customer service and sent them a screenshot of my contract that showed unlimited miles. They told me that they will investigate it and will return to me shortly. Of course, that never happened. Very disappointed.

Tim
September 23rd, 2019 Bellefonte, PA DETAILS

Lots of people on here saying bad things so I'm going to start with the good then explain the bad and why I only gave 3 stars. I rented and prepaid $265 ($38 a day after taxes etc.) in March for their Mercedes E Class or similar level of rental for 1 week in September (6 Months advance notice) for my vacation in Tampa Florida, their online process was easy, filled out all required info. declined all insurances at booking. When I arrived they did not have the level I booked so offered me an upgrade (more on this later) what I drove off the lot with was a BMW X5 4.0, with all the trimmings, the car was wonderful, it ran flawlessly for the whole week, it was clean, comfortable, and well looked after, there was some minor dings and things which were already listed on the paperwork as being present, we photographed that damage anyway to be safe. After a faultless wee riding around in a very nice car, The return process in Tampa was simple, pull into the return line, leave the keys inside the car, Person comes over, checks over for any new damage, level of gas in tank etc, Good to go. Swift and easy return no issue. So now the bad. what upset me. So after I gave them 6 months notice of me wanting a Mercedes E class or similar, they did not have one, the guy at the counter was very nice, friendly, polite, well spoken. "Very sorry sir we don't have that class on the lot right now so I can offer you an upgrade to a BMW X5, would that be ok?" "sure that would be fine, thankyou" So o.k. on we go through the process, he verifies my ID, asks if we want insurance etc etc regular check out process. Until almost the last part of the rental agreement process where he's going over the charges, and gets to a $30 a day upgrade fee.....I stop him right there and protest that, it's not my fault you didn't have my car, so Why are you trying to charge me almost the same again for the car, He tried to con me off saying it was standard for upgrade, I continued to protest, if i go to enterprise and they don't have my car, they upgrade for free. He calls his manager on the phone "they don't want to pay for the upgrade" he comes back to me, would $20 a day be o.k.?, I refuse again, he goes back to the manager as he's talking with the manager I look up the rental cost difference on their app, between the Merc and the BMW, it's a $13 a day difference to book it on their app right there. I show him that and as I'm tired and just want to get to my hotel to lay down for a bit I agree that $13 a day would be fine. He confirms with his manager, hangs up and rewrites the bill, shows me the $100 total extra charge, I sign and off we go. This is why they get 3 stars not 5 from me. If you don't have a car and offer an upgrade, that upgrade should be free. I could understand you arguing if I book the car the day before or something but I gave you 6 months notice of my rental so any failure to provide is your fault not mine. This Company was great except for that. I would rent again but I'll probably just buy from the counter when I get there instead of prepaying and being upset. It's a little more expensive to pay on the day but the few $ extra would be worth it to avoid the "Forced Up sell"

Jack
September 19th, 2019 Bloomfield Hills, MI DETAILS

Absolutely the worst, crooked rental car company in the world! They are dishonest and tried to charge us with much more money than what was agreed on rental agreement. STAY AWAY, they are crooks and should be out of business!!

Chris D
September 17th, 2019 McKinleyville, CA DETAILS

Worst rental car company in the buisness. They over charged me triple. When I went to get car i reserved they said it wasnt avail and I needed to pay 190 for an uograde to get a car. Then the car they gave me broke down within 5 minutes. Returned took 3 hours to get another one. When i returned was told a price. Then the charged my card triple the amount for no reason. Car was returned in perfect shape with no overages. Stay far away

Michael
September 13th, 2019 Atherton, CA

Run, don't walk! Made a reservation over Internet and upon arrival to Madrid Airport they didn't want to allow us to use the insurance provided by our credit card because they said we had to decline their insurance upon reservation - but they don't provide any way to decline it. We walked away and rented from a different company - Eurocar. Then Sixt charged our card for $330 and lied to the credit card company that we actually rented the car from them, so now we have to spend a lot of time to dispute it!

Brown Adams
September 11th, 2019 Dallas, TX DETAILS

I experienced poor customer service at the Dallas/Addison Marriott Quorum by the Galleria location. Two ladies working at the front desk have the worst attitude by an employee, they were rolling their eyes and basically not interested in serving me. They gave me the wrong information which made me waste a whole hour running around, just plain incompetent and unaware of the job duties. Fake plastic smiles, no courtesy whatsoever.

laura o
September 9th, 2019 Sayreville, NJ DETAILS

Just be informed that if you dont take out extra insurance and you get a flat tire you will have to pay for it. I called the service number and was asked if someone could change the tire(thank god for my son being with me or that probably would have been another charge) then was told i would have to bring tire to be fixed at a specified dealer. I was told on phone I would have to front the money and be reimbursed after. When returning car I spoke to agent and was given an email to send copies of bill to. 3 days later received response saying "Dear Madam, Thank you for your correspondence. As you did not purchased tyre and windscreen coverage, a damaged tyre and any incurred expenses would be your responsibility. Please forward the documents to your own insurance provider in order to avail of a refund. Kind regards, Ciaran Customer Service Team Ireland

Jose Perez
September 9th, 2019 Victorville, CA DETAILS

Rented a car and when I returned it it had (not from me) a very VERY little scratch. Their lack of response to Allianz (had the car covered by them) so they could get paid has been terrible and will never ever rent from Sixt again. I'm a frequent traveler (Platinum in Delta and so forth) so I do rent a lots of cars. Called many times Sixt's claims department and had never the calls answered. One time I waited over 2hrs and finally hanged up. DON'T RENT FROM SIXT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comfort O.
September 6th, 2019 Bothell, WA DETAILS

SIXT was responsible for easily the worst experience I ever had. The girl who checked me not only charged me $80 for daily car insurance which I declined twice, but now they refuse to respond and more importantly credit me the charge. I rented with them twice and both experiences were horrible. The second, a small rink a dink counter in the Hyatt hotel in downtown Seattle, had two dumbfounded college kids failing me left and right. They had their manager - Cesar R cancel my $225 reservation the night before pickup, didn't notify me so I was denied after already arriving AND CHARGED ME THE FULL RESERVATION. That's a whopping $300 they've stolen from me. They will reap what they sow.

Daniel Green
September 4th, 2019 San Francisco, CA DETAILS

SIXT Rent A Cars are a FRAUDULENT Nightmare. SCAM! FRAUD! AVOID! I pre-payed for a day to transfer from Split to Pula, Croatia. The wait at Split Airport was LONG and HOT. It took 2 hours to pick up the car at their makeshift outdoor container-like offices. The agent informs me that I've got a free upgrade to an automatic and a tank of gas (turns out I was charged for the gas). I purchase the collision damage waiver at his recommendation, just in case...I lost the car keys when I arrived in Pula. I called the local office as soon as they opened the next morning and was told that I should pay parking until 2 pm, and that the car would be picked up by an agent, and that I would be charged for the replacement key. When I returned from my trip, I found my credit card charged $192 for the lost key (fair enough), but an additional charge was made for $586 for a scratch that I was not notified of, and had absolutely nothing to do with. I was also charged an extra day charged. They provided no evidence of damage until I appealed (twice). I was later supplied with low resolution photos taken with flash at night of the car, and photos of a scratch - location on the car and size undisclosed. Their email said the car was towed rather than opened because the parking brake had been "engaged on the hill". The car was left on the flat at the ferry dock in P (no additional brake). They said they would open the car with the help of a local dealer, but subsequently communicated it had been towed (which could well have scratched the vehicle). No notification, no repair quote, nothing until queried. If I hadn't checked my statement carefully, they would have slipped it past my attention. Single day rental, total charges now exceed $900. Suffice it to say I wish I had selected a US company. The company has thus far failed to concede a single error on their account. DO NOT USE SIXT CAR RENTAL UNLESS YOU ARE READY TO PAY THE SAME FOR A DAY AS FOR AN TRANSATLANTIC FLIGHT.

Pete
September 4th, 2019 Portland, OR DETAILS

Renting the car was fine, just like any other rental company. My review is for post rental. When I returned the car we found a small dent in the door. I don't recall anything happening and I denied that I caused this damage. The employee was extremely friendly and said "Perfect, not a problem, if you didn't do this, no issues here". I then appealed the damages and everything was fine. 3 MONTHS LATER....I get a letter in the mail that said there was additional damage found to the car on the rear bumper. They attached a photo and there is no damage to the car at all. It rained when I was there and the car has water droplets on it. I was charged $462 for damages and a $50 admin fee. Don't use this company. You'll rent a brand new nice car for a few days, then get charged for damages you didn't do.

Michael Jaffe
September 4th, 2019 Delray Beach, FL DETAILS

Rented a Toyota Yaris at Ben-Gurion Airport (TLV) in Tel Aviv for two weeks, arranged through Expedia. The handover was smooth and quick, even during prime tourist season. The staff was extremely friendly and efficient. The vehicle had 1400 km on it, so it was practically new and in pristine condition. No issues with the car. Car return was also quick, very friendly staff. A year earlier, I had used SixT at Reykjavik, and the pickup experience was not nearly as good. There seem to be a number of factors influencing the experience, but, for the most part, SixT seems to be a good discount option.

PT
September 4th, 2019 Princeton, NJ DETAILS

Constant upselling by providing lack of choice as the reason. You secure price and purchase online with a specific car of choice. Then you arrive only to realize the option is unavailable and you have to go with say a Lincoln when you specifically booked a Mercedes. Well you can get a Mercedes but for $50 more per day? Took the navigator reluctantly, A/C broke on my way from LA to Las Vegas at 100F. I called them and they said tough luck. Since the vehicle was operating, I had to drive to Las Vegas to exchange it there. The only positive experience I had was with an agent in Vegas who genuinely tried to help without upselling. You have to get lucky to find someone who does this at Sixt. This was my first and probably my last with them unless I look for premium cars which they have a good selection for. Otherwise, I would suggest going with one of the reputed/standard ones. I now have the final bill that is 10% more than what I got a receipt for? Strange. To me, a bit unethical broadly speaking.

Armindo
September 4th, 2019 Yonkers, NY DETAILS

Rented a car in Lisbon, staff was nice, but I was told that I had to get full insurance that what my Credit card insurance was not enough ( found out that was no not true a little to late ) 227.00 dollars for that, 5.96 dollars per day x17 -100.00 dollars for tires and glass coverage, should the full insurance cover that ? Now 20.32 dollars per day x 17 -345.00 for devaluation of the car : why should I pay for devaluation of the car? To resume my experience with sixt , first and last time renting from them! I feel I got ripped off ! Rented the car for 17 days it cost me almost 1600.00 dollars!!

Adam King
September 4th, 2019 DETAILS

Absolute RIP-off merchants. I hired a car, checked it over and pointed out some things they didn't have. Fine. But when I returned it they pointed out some scratches on the roof! Who checks the roof!? Categotically I did not scratch the roof, I parked in an underground carpark, never put a bag on there or anything. It's terrible behaviour to go over it with a fine tooth comb AFTER but even have the major scratches that I picked up on before. Shouldn't be legal.

Mike W
August 28th, 2019 Floyds Knobs, IN DETAILS

Rented a car via Hotwire for a golf trip. Hotwire chose Sixt and I had never heard of them before. Arrived in Phoenix on June 1 and got to counter to pick up car. They were having problems with computers and took about 25 minutes to complete the rental transaction. Went to pick up vehicle and asked the 2 attendants at counter if they would join me for pre-inspection. They just sat there and said to do it myself. I did do inspection and noticed a couple of things and brought it to their attention. They said it was documented and my group got in car for a week of golf. Upon return of the vehicle myself, my two golf partners and the Sixt attendant inspected the car and agreed on no damage. I asked for a final receipt and the attendant said it would be emailed to me. 5 days later I still did not get a receipt and asked them to email it. They did and I was charged for fuel which I expected. Then I receive a letter on the 15th about damage to the car I rented and they wanted paperwork filled out pertaining to the accident. I immediately responded with an email disputing the claim and well as explaining that I had witnesses that would attest to the attendant stating that the vehicle was not damaged. I also stated that I would not fill out the paperwork and would file a complaint with the BBB and or legal action. if they continued with this course of action. Low and behold I received a unsigned letter from Sixt in a email on 27 August 19 stating they reviewed the file and decided they would continue to pursue the financial claim $81.85 (for a supposed window chip which costed $25 to repair according to the glass receipt they attached, loss of use that they could not tell me about and an admin fee). I replied with the previous position I stated. It is freaking amazing that a company would do this (considered they probably spent over 500 dollars in document processing and reviews). I will probably end up paying this bogus claim but will never use Hotwire or Sixt again and from reading many of the above reviews a lot of other people feel the same way. Hope this helps others in their rental decisions.

John Smith
August 26th, 2019 Beverly Hills, CA

Horrible customer service. You are likely to get scammed on exaggerated repair costs with minor cosmetic damages. Do not trust this company. Small rim scratches. They will be charging you for an entire new rim and then not even replace the rim with the small amount of damage in question. Ask Rob F. He actually just did a video on this very subject. You can find it on YouTube on the superspeedersRob channel. Go check it out.

James
August 22nd, 2019 DETAILS

This is the worst rental experience I have ever had. I made an on-line reservation for Dublin, when I showed up at the airport they would not give me a car. Now I cannot get a refund. They fob me off to the Dublin office, which sends me to the USA email. Customer service either gives me the Dublin email or promises me a follow up email that never arrives. Avoid these people like the plague!

ErinJ
August 21st, 2019 Fuquay-Varina, NC DETAILS

I rented a vehicle in Phoenix from Sixt, was told the car was $32.48 a day, paid the fees up front. Returned the car with 9/10 of tank, I knew I'd be paying for the gas when the next charge came through on my credit card is was for an additional $192.00. I tried contacting Sixt to find out what this charge was for, no one answers their customer service line and you can't leave a message. I disputed the charge, they finally sent an invoice to my bank with all these ridiculous additional charges. I was never told about all these etc. fees, and concession, and the gas was $50.00 for 3 gallons of gas. I will never ever ever rent a car from them again!!!!!

Erin
August 20th, 2019 DETAILS

AVOID AVOID AVOID! Awful experience hiring a car in Dubrovnik city centre, Croatia. Read the reviews and do not use them! We picked up a car and had been ‘upgraded’ to a bigger car, that was covered in scratches, didn’t have GPS even though we had paid extra for it so we were given a handheld one but told we got 60 minutes free calls with that one. We had made them aware we were going to Bosnia for a day trip. On route to Kravice waterfalls we get a flat tyre... shouldn’t be a big issue. However we were given a car with NO SPARE TYRE and the liquid tyre repair kit was empty, the fluid has been used up and not replaced. With no options we called the breakdown line and got told as we were in Bosnia they couldn’t do anything they only covered Croatia so to call a different number. The next person we spoke to told us they couldn’t help and to call the original number back who then decided they could do something. The GPS phone they gave us didn’t work so we had to do this on our mobiles and now have £45 charges on our phone bills. We waited 4 hours for a recovery truck and then a 3 hour drive in a truck to Croatia. We only had the car for 5 hours. We spent longer waiting for recovery and sitting in the recovery truck! I then had to go back the next day and wait in line for 45 minutes at the Sixt office to be told ‘we have forgiven the fuel costs’. Following further complaints all I have been given is ‘forgiven fuel’ and no charge for the Sixt insurance. I used Avant car in Split and had a much better experience. This ruined our holiday. Honestly, read the reviews and do not use them.

Gemma
August 20th, 2019 DETAILS

I would definitely not recommend Sixt to anybody. The company services are extremely poor and some rental cars are damaged. Such was our case. We rented a car in Ireland, Dublin, and paid full insurance to avoid any additional charges in case of any unexpected problem. It turns out that a problem did happen, as our clutch was previously damaged. There was smoke coming out of the bonnet before we even got out of Dublin. When we reached Galway and asked for help, the mechanic said it was the driver’s fault and told us to “let it cool down.” When the clutch finally broke, the company accused the driver of not knowing how to drive on the other side. Moreover, they wanted us to pay for another insurance if they gave us a new car. The person speaking on behalf of the head department was really rude and his tone was clearly inappropriate when talking to a costumer. In addition, they did not provide us any service to get back to Galway city. The clutch had stopped working in the middle of a narrow road between two remote towns, and two strangers had to help us move the car to the roadside. Finally, it was the towing vehicle who drove us to the nearest town and there we took a bus. In short, do not spend any money on their services as they are likely to trick you in to paying more.

Stephanie
August 20th, 2019 Enfield, CT DETAILS

I rented a car online for a week. Ended up being charged almost double! Ridiculous charges that they will not refund.

Joe Kelly
August 20th, 2019 Grapevine, TX DETAILS

I have been renting cars for 40 years and have never had an experience like I had with Sixt. I rented a car in Norway, declined collision insurance as I always do, took photos of the car before leaving the lot, and then treated it like a baby for a two week vacation (never parked next to anyone, always used covered parking). I returned the car in Oslo, where the attendant told me they would inspect it later. I took another complete set of photos and then went on my way. Imagine my surprise to get an email from them 3 hours later that the car was damaged. They attached photos showing paint scratches on the UNDERSIDE of the bumper. There is no way I caused that “damage” but I could not contest that, as my photos (both before and after) did not include that part of the car. There was no way to get those pictures without laying on the ground. They then claimed that repairing that damage will cost $800. Lessons learned; 1. Do not rent from Sixt. 2. If you have no option but Sixt, pay for complete damage insurance even if it costs you up to $800 extra. 3. If you can’t afford the extra $800, be prepared to get down on the rental car garage floor and photograph every square inch of the car, including the underside. Be aware that based on other reviews I have seen, no matter what they WILL find some damage on that car that you will be charged $700-800 for. See lesson #1.

Allan Buell
August 20th, 2019 Nottingham, NH DETAILS

I picked up the car at O'Hare airport Chicago and had a one way drive to Indianapolis airport Indiana. 1. No told me that the car return was not at the airport but was 7 miles away. It was not stated or written on my contract. I had to rush to make my flight never mind driving back 7 miles from the way I came. people at the return were polite and friendly and got us onto an airport shuttle quickly 2. The people at the return did not however log in that we returned the car and I received a call Sunday asking when I would return the car and I told them I returned it on Saturday-the previous day 3. I get in invoice for 2 extra days of rental that I did not have and called customer service a. customer service said that the return station said we returned the car on Monday and I had to prove with a boarding pass or something that I returned it on Saturday. b. I did not have my pass and they said that my wife's boarding pass with the same last name was not good enough c. the representative then refused to transfer me to a manager 4. I called the rental business in Indianapolis and told them they had made a mistake. The were able to check the cars GPS and confirm return and correct the bill a. why did customer service not do this for me??? 5. When I called customer service back, because I am very upset by the whole situation, my call was dropped when I asked to be transferred to a manager My 1 star is for customer service. The actual people at the rental stores were friendly and helpful but they did both make mistakes

Jason P Boggs
August 14th, 2019 Fresno, CA DETAILS

This was my first time renting from Sixt as well as my first time driving in Denver and dealing with tolls and toll roads on this level. My flight got in later than expected and then I had to wait for the shuttle to pick me up as well as others and take me out to where my rental car was. It was well after midnight by the time I got my car...very tired. I then had to drive another hour to Greely to my hotel after that. It was well after 1:30am by the time I go to my hotel. When I went to return the car from Greely by 4am in the morning I could find no gas stations close to where I had to drop the car off and I could not get the GPS to program in the address for the drop off location as well. The only reason I went down these toll roads was to find a gas station in which I could not. Consequently, Sixt charged me $79.92 for half a tank of gas that was only $2.49 per gallon while I was there and a $6 Colorado Road Safety Fee. When all was accounted for I ended up paying Sixit an additional $128.21 over and above what I originally paid. I never want to return to Denver again and I really don't want to be using Sixt again. As a matter of fact the only reason I used Sixt to begin with was because they were the only rental service with cars for the dates I required. Never even heard of them before that. So along with the long shuttle trip out to the boondocks to get my rental and extra charges and fees....I believe this was my first and last rental with Sixt. I'm sure Sixt gets this all the time, but I have NEVER had this many issues with a car rental.

CY
August 14th, 2019 DETAILS

I rented a car from Sixt at the Airport in Munich Germany. I reserved the car 3 months prior and they didn't have it waiting for me. They didn't seem to care too much and said they'd get me something else. The car was the only convertible Sixt allowed renters to drive outside of Germany. Once they discovered this they determined that a car was available if I waited an hour. When we finally tried to load our luggage we were dissapointed to discover the trunk was too small. They gave us a different, lower class, car (a sedan) and informed me it would be less money. They then had me sign a document in German that they said was the release of the car to me so I could drive it. Instead, I found out much later, it was a contract to rent the much less expensive car for the exact same amount as the convertible. I priced up the car we were provided with the first night to make sure I knew how much it would be. I was pleased to discover the sedan was $430 less than the convertible. Imagine my surprise when I returned to the states and received an invoice for the convertible not the sedan. When I inquired they said both cars were the identical price so just pay the convertible invoice. If you look at the Sixt website you'll quickly notice that no two cars are the same price. I would never rent from Sixt again. They have nice cars but their people are shady. Stay AWAY!

Maria
August 13th, 2019

We returned the car we rented and forgot a hand bag in the car, we came back 10 minutes later and when we got the bag back all the money that was inside was gone. Somebody took the money and no one would give us explanation, the manager who talked to us couldn’t give any explanation, he only advised us to call the police. So here we are, on our last day in Miami with no money left because somebody from Sixt rental car company stole the money we had left. Never again

S2019
August 13th, 2019 Alexandria, VA DETAILS

Terrible Experience - rent from any other company! Rented from Sixt in Europe in May-June 2019. First and last time I will do that. The biggest issue was with the exterior of the car. Several hours after I returned the car (at a rail station with only a key drop, no actual person), Sixt emailed me to say there was a scrape on the hood of the car and said they'd send me a bill. There is no way that damage occurred while I had the car. Plus, the car itself was full of dings, scrapes, etc. when I picked it up that Sixt never bothered to fix. If you rent from this company, take tons photos of the car at pick up and drop off. Ideally, have a Sixt employee on hand at both events to walk around the car with you. Sixt then sent an estimate that included only a number -- nothing else. When asked for additional information that any normal person would ask for -- itemized description of work, what was being done, verification that cost was only for alleged scrape and not all the other dings and dents on the hood -- Sixt refused to provide. Also, I requested a mid-range, mid-size car. It was fine in terms of cleanliness at pick up, but utterly lacking in the one thing that you would take for granted in a car today -- namely, anywhere to plug in your phone/GPS. Not a single port of any type to be found.

Richard Ford
August 13th, 2019 DETAILS

booked through hotwire hired the car at Paris Airport. Firstly the car I booked was not available so I had to pay 5 euros more a day than I got quoted. Second I had a 92 euro charge for location nearly the cost of my car hire, ive tried to contact Sixt but they haven't replied. will not be using them ever again.

john j
August 11th, 2019 DETAILS

Car renters beware ............. Having booked the rental for 2.5 days and under the sixt current TV ad I was Horrified at the additional costs involved, the car was great, staff very welcoming, but the way you rack up the costs is criminal.it almost tripled the costs I will never use Sixt again

Susan Mikkelsen
August 11th, 2019 Kansas City, MO DETAILS

We have been renting from Sixt in Europe for a number of years without incident. The last rental in Denmark was a nightmare. Just a quick piece of advice if you rent from the Aalborg airport...take photos of everything when you drop off the car. There was zero additional damage (to a car already dinged to death on the doors) when the car was dropped off but my husband made the mistake of not photographing the entire car before heading back to the US. Supposedly there was damage to the car. It is ridiculous because we are now out of the country and we have no visual evidence that they are lying. It's ridiculous because we have never damaged any car that we have ever rented. We will never be using this company ever again.

Maureen E. Serge
August 8th, 2019 DETAILS

I was so surprised to see the negative reviews for Sixt. I have been renting cars from Sixt for approximately 2 years and have never had a problem, and the customer service was fantastic. Besides their prices being the best in town, I always receive fast courtesy service from the counter people. Granted, I only rent when I am in Las Vegas, but I am there 3 or 4 times a year and use Sixt all the time. I tried the rest of the car rentals and they are expensive and never had the car that I originally reserved. BRAVO to Sixt. To all the new customers, don't be swayed by someone else's negativity.