SIXT started out with three locations and grew into an international company with locations throughout the United States. Currently, the company is present in 105 countries across the globe with over 2,000 branch locations. SIXT purchases more than 200,000 vehicles annually and owns the world's largest fleet of premium German cars.

The Good

• Vehicle Types
  • Price Range
  • Toll Prepay Option
  • Online Check-In

Vehicle Types

The SIXT vehicle fleet hosts models from German favorites like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi. Vehicle types include:

• Convertibles
  • Luxury cars
  • Minivans
  • SUVs
  • Passenger vans

Price Range

SIXT offers vehicles ranging in average prices in the car rental industry. While the prices are not necessarily low, SIXT's car selection is of a higher quality than many economy budget car rentals. The car make and models are newer and more modern so if that is important to you then the average cost is more than worth paying. Regardless of the price listed for a car, though, SIXT boasts a Best Price Guarantee.

Toll Prepay Option

A very convenient feature is the ability to order toll passes through the company's website. Having a toll pass makes your commute easier when you travel. This comes as part of the online check-in.

Online Check-In

You can check in your car from SIXT's website instead of the rental counter using one of two options: the online check-in portal via the website or the on-site terminal. After you sign in and check in with your reservation number, you go to SIXT's express counter and swap your signature for the car keys. For the terminal option, follow these steps:

1. Insert your Sixt Express Card or credit card into the terminal.
  2. The terminal detects your card automatically and shows you the reservation. You also have the option of booking extras at this point, such as winter tires.
  3. Select your car out of three vehicle options.
  4. Confirm the booking details and print your rental agreement.
  5. Open the safe and take the vehicle keys.

This makes checking in easy and fast and eliminates the issue of long lines that you get with other car rental companies.

The Bad

• Limited U.S. Availability
  • No Instant Return
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

Limited U.S. Availability

SIXT has rental car locations in 15 states, so your options are limited in the United States. Sixt has rental counters at some major airports throughout North America, but not as many as some competitors. For instance, most rental companies have counters at JFK, LaGuardia, or Newark airports in the New York City area and SIXT does not. On the plus side, SIXT is worldwide, so it is likely to cover your international travel needs.

No Instant Return

SIXT lacks an instant return option where you can leave the car with the keys inside. You must return the vehicle to a rental office (or other identified location) on the date and time specified in your rental agreement.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

SIXT does not offer discounts for fueling your vehicle on-site. If a customer returns the car low on gas, SIXT charges a $50 fee.

The Bottom Line

If you're itching to try out a new or luxury car, look no further than SIXT. With quick check-in, no hidden costs, and free cancellation, SIXT is all about convenience. However, the company is not readily available throughout North America, especially in smaller states and cities.

1.3

Clairine Anderson
December 4th, 2019 Tampa, FL DETAILS

Run fast from these crooks. They will rent you a damaged car and try to claim that you damaged it. I rented from Tampa airport. Picked up the vehicle at night and noted dents and scratches. Only scratches were listed in the contract so I asked the rude guy in the booth (that did not want to come from behind the booth) he said he is not required to walk the car. When I dropped off the car that I nearly even used the entire weekend, they said it looked like it had been in a hail storm and is now trying to charge me $1600 to fix a vehicle that was probably damaged from someone who wanted to take a convertible BMW out for the weekend. Not today Sixt. I am not paying for your damaged car and I will never rent from these thieves again.

Sarah
December 4th, 2019 DETAILS

Worst travelling experience I have had in my life. Was charged thousands of dollars for damages that I did not cause, 3 weeks after returning the car. Customer service is appalling, my emails have not been answered and I have no explanation for where these costs came from and why it took 3 weeks to charge me for these things. Do not rent from them, this is a complete scam and has made my travelling experience so much worse.

Patry
November 26th, 2019 Dayton, OH DETAILS

It’s incredible that in these times there can exist such bad customer service. And to make matters worse, their excuses are childish

Evan Kotsovinos
November 20th, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS

Absolute fraud. Their office told me to call their line to cancel, I did so, and they asked me to email. By the time I emailed they told me it was too late to cancel and refused to refund. I am disputing through my credit card company. Disgusting service and will never use again.

Hesta Fortgang
November 20th, 2019 White Plains, NY DETAILS

I rented a car at Palm Beach Intl airport last Fb. I bought insurance with Sixt. A man hit me in the rear, I called sixt immediately, and gave them all the info on the driver and the car. it is now 9 months later and six tells me I have to pay the damage, th other insurance company denied the claim and the insurance I bought thru Sixt is something I have to claim myself UNHEARD OF SERVICE

Jomar Cabiles
November 13th, 2019

This company is the most HORRIFIC rental car i have ever had in my entire life. Rented a car for half day from Orlando to Miami just because i wanted to see the whole scenic. My $54 quote went up to $230. Unbelievable charges for a rental car. The most painful part was they preauthorized my credit card for $593😬😬😬.. and when i returned my car to the airport, the guy said that an invoice will be emailed to me and that the hold will disappear. I called them 7 days after asking for the invoice. They ended up getting my wrong email and they said my card should have been charge only the $230 and that the hold for $593 should have now disappeared. They said to wait for few More days and send them a copy of my statement. I sent them the email copy of my statement and got an email to wait for 28 days. Avoid this rental car at any cost!!!! Its a scam... I am more beyond mad!!!

mary
October 31st, 2019 Buffalo, NY DETAILS

I rented thru sixt only because my company assigned them to me when I planned my vacation thru the company site. We left the airport with the car and got a flat tire. I called to report the flat. They sent AAA out to help. Then they told me the car had to go to a tire place and the tire needed to be repaired or replaced at my expense. Turns out, the tire needed to be plugged. Once I turned the car in, my final bill was $85.00 more than I was originally quoted. I will NEVER rented from them again and I will be filing a complaint with my company.

Dawn gargano
October 29th, 2019 Nolensville, TN DETAILS

Omg I wish I would have read these reviews before I rented a car from them for my trip to dublin....what a nightmare....I got the car on priceline and got the extra protection come to find out they dobt accept the protection from priceline...when I tried to cancel my reservation they told me I had to email them a cancellation ...no you cancel my reservation now or find someone t hff at can I already booked with another company I'm not writing an email....I called priceline and they told me they couldnt do anything...now I've been waiting all day till night cuz the sixt supervisor was suppose to call me back and hasntvreturned my call yet ...ne er ever rent a car from these people

Sandy Webber
October 28th, 2019 Oregon, WI

They are HORRIBLE! Hurrican Irma was approaching Florida and the Orlando airport and the SIXT car rental in Orlando were closed on the day my son was to fly out. So he drove to the next closest airport with a Sixt car rental location. SIXT CHARGED HIM SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS AS A ONE WAY CAR RENTAL FEE! EVEN THOUGH THEIR OFFICE WAS CLOSED ON THE DAY OF HIS FLIGHT! The airline didn't charge him a change fee. FYI Sixt - haven't you ever heard of honey attracting more bees than vinegar?????? You are all vinegar!

dh
October 28th, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS

rented in vienna. upon return walked the car with the attendant who gave me assurances that all was intact. the next day I got my paid reciept. 2 days later they said that I left a 8inch scratch..yet both the attendant and myself never saw anything like that. Two days after they assume responsibility and they find damage???? I asked for timed, dated photo which they could never supply. they finally (two weeks later)sent some pics of tiny pebble scratches in lower front bumper. I disputed it vigorously as these were almost microscopic and not a 8 inch gash. many defects were noted upon my acceptance thay they never got repaired, yet they wanted 1k for these ?new one. they want to sell you an additional 40$ a day policy so you never have to worry about this. This is a scam. never again. if you get suckered, take every possible picture and even a video as they are going to screw you.

Michael Roberge
October 28th, 2019 Litchfield, CT DETAILS

I can't stress enough...do not rent from this company. I reserved months in advance thinking this new company that boasted customer service was going to take care of us. If you're like me, this is very rare that I can get away like this. My experience will tell all. I reserved a Mercedes or similar( Jaguar or Lincoln). When I arrived the lot was empty of those cars...only big SUVs or this big Cadillac that I ended up taking. But then she said it would be $100 more. When I returned it, I told them I would write this review. There was no compensation for their own mistake. Her excuse was, "we are such a small company, we don't have enough cars." I will never nor would I recommend wasting my time here. If they refund my money...I will re-post.

Heitor Ferreira
October 25th, 2019 Williston Park, NY

The worst car rental around. As mentioned by others, this company runs a scam. I rented from them in Porto, Portugal. First they didn't give me the car that I originally wanted. Upon return they inspected the car with me and nothing was found. A week later I received an email that the bumper was scratched and were going to charge my credit card $626.44. It seems from prior reviews they have been doing this for quite some time. If you didn't purchase their insurance, they find some incredibly minor damage that doesn't exist, then triple the charge for the car. I will be disputing the charge with my credit card company and looking for other ways to report them for fraudulent business practices. Hopefully I can help prevent this from happening to anyone else. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM.

Wendy
October 23rd, 2019 Minneapolis, MN DETAILS

Based on our experience and those of many others who have commented here, Sixt is a company of scam artists! We rented a car in Dublin, drove off happy only to discover that the clutch was slipping. Decided to continue on our trip because the car (a van) was driveable, but part way through our vacation the clutch went out on the freeway! Fortunately we were near a toll station and were able to pull over there and wait for service. Sixt sent a tow truck to pick us up (7 of us in the back seat of a tow truck!) rather than send us a new car, drove us back to the nearest city, then tried to get us to pay extra to rent an automatic transmission car because they said it was out fault the clutch went out! We settled that issue (we thought), got a new van and finished our vacation. Now we are home and have a charge for over $2,000 on our credit card bill for their clutch repair!!! Of course we are disputing the charge through our credit card company, but what a nightmare! Never again with Sixt!!

Elyssa
October 22nd, 2019 Washington, DC DETAILS

As mentioned by others, this company runs a scam. I rented from them in Iceland and upon return of the car, they claimed a minor dent in the driver's side door (there was no dent or other damage) and inspected the car without me being present. They are counting on the fact that you have to catch your flight and don't have hours to stay there and argue. Every single person returning a car at the time I was there was being told the same thing, and clearly from these reviews they have been doing this for quite some time. If you didn't purchase their insurance, they find some incredibly minor damage that doesn't exist, then triple the charge for the car. I will be disputing the charge with my credit card company and looking for other ways to report them for fraudulent business practices. Hopefully I can help prevent this from happening to anyone else. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM.

Joy S
October 21st, 2019 Santa Rosa, CA DETAILS

Unlike other car rental companies, Sixt does not have many branches in the US. As such, if there is a problem with the vehicle as simple as a busted tire, you can’t easily exchange the vehicle. You have to run in a risky spare tire until you reach their nearest branch which is way too far. It’s not worth the hassle. It is better to rent on a car rental company that have several branches.

john b
October 21st, 2019 Niagara Falls, NY DETAILS

As far as the location of the SIXT office, staff, service and the type of vehicle I received, I was pleased. The staff was knowledgable and rather friendly. The office was attached to the Panorama Hotel in Zagreb, Croatia which provided convenience. What I have an issue with is how I was billed. I reserved a vehicle online and prepaid the vehicle. When it came time to return the vehicle, I noticed a rental days charge and extra days. I added a collision damage waiver, minimum excess and roadside protection which was added. The thing is I felt I was charged twice for the rental car. The prepaid cost (338.68€) and the daily cost (182.94€). Another rip-off was the prepaid fuel at 63.25€. I did not have to leave a full tank but it does not cost 63.25€ to fill a Jeep Compass. With all the taxes added, the vehicle went from $40 CDN a day to $120 a day CDN. Never again will I rent from SIXT.

Barbara
October 18th, 2019 Spring Valley, NY

I used this company in Iceland. Do not rent from this company. I believe that they employ dishonest business practices. We picked our rental car up at night in the rain. Cursory inspection showed no issues. Upon return, a minor dent in the rear driver's side door resulted in a charge of $454 dollars. The entire process felt contrived. I was more convinced when I discovered the couple who checked out right before me was charged $454 for a minor scratch. Sixt staff went directly to a hidden spot on the car to claim the damage when it was returned. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM.

Luis Suarez
October 17th, 2019 Miami, FL DETAILS

I rent a car in Dubai Mercedes Benz I paid the all insurance for the car, I had a incident , I was driving when someone crossed to me and I had to approach the sidewalk and scratched the RH rings front a back was small scratch like two inches front and rearrange, and they took $800 dollars from my credit car deposit, I don’t recommended that company because the insurance doesn’t cover the rings I am very disappointed with this rent a car company.

BM
October 16th, 2019 Cincinnati, OH DETAILS

Rented a vehicle in August of this year (2019). There was a dent in the side of the vehicle when we picked it up. The agent showed us that this was marked in their system and is on the receipt in which we kept. When we dropped off, they stated that this was, a different dent, not indicated on the receipt. We discussed and they said they would look into it. We received a bill for near $1000 for repairs on a vehicle that was given to us with a small dent in it. This is unbelievable that they would try to pass their costs to an honest customer. Do not rent with this company. They are a scam and are stealing money. They responded with their copied: "contact customer service and we will help you with your issue..." After their half-hearted response. I responded with:Yes, I have contacted your customer service and sent them the receipt they asked for, which was on file already, and we discussed the issue. They again responded that the receipt wasn't good enough and that I am liable for a dent that THEY (or a previous renter) put in the vehicle. This was discussed in detail with the agent, Cherisse, and she clearly stated that this was in their file and showed me on the receipt where the dent was indicated. They are falsifying information to get their customers to pay for their expenses. I can not express more clearly, DO NOT rent from this company. They are a complete scam and will try in many ways to rip you off. I have never seen such a dishonest company and I have reported this issue to the BBB and other outlets as well.

Lize
October 16th, 2019 DETAILS

We had an extremely bad experience with Sixt Croatia. Hidden costs, lies about costs at the counter, no desire for customer service, etc etc. Note: to pass through Bosnia-Herzegovina via the Neum corridor between Dubrovnik and Split should be free (and does NOT cost EUR100 as we were told at the pick-up desk, neither EUR45 as we were informed by emails when querying this misinformation at the counter). Save yourself a lot of problems and rather use ANY OTHER rental company but Sixt.

Sue
October 15th, 2019 Waukesha, WI DETAILS

If I could give Sixt, San Diego a zero, I would. Sixt has charged me with damages to the rental car that I did not cause. Fraudulent pictures of damage were sent stating I caused the damage. Upon my return of a Kia Forte at the San Diego Airport on July 17, 2019, a Sixt representative approached to check in the vehicle. Below are the events that occurred: Circling the car, she marked the inside (wheel well) of the driver's side wheel arch with an orange highlighting marker. I thought this was very odd that she went directly to the inside of the wheel well. I asked what she was doing and she said there was a small scratch inside the wheel arch. She proceeded to take a photo with her phone camera. I approached the vehicle, wiping part of the orange highlighter with my finger and told her that it comes off and there was no visible scratch. She mentioned that even though the mark was very small, she would turn this into the Claims Department and they would contact me within four days if there was a problem or a claim. I informed her that I did not cause any damage to the vehicle. Two other adults in my party were present and witnessed all interactions during the check in process. They also looked at the vehicle and could not identify any scratch. I did not receive any contact within the four day period that she mentioned, so I believed the issue was resolved. There was no further contact until your email on September 2, 2019. The pictures of the vehicle in their September email are not the "mark" that was identified on July 17 upon my return. The damage that was in the photos was in front of the wheel well -front side of car and wrapping around to the front bumper. To be able to make a correct determination of their claim, I requested time stamped photos of the damage along with the receipt that the work was completed on the vehicle and vehicle condition reports/incident reports for the vehicle I rented. I requested this by September 15 and have not received anything to date. I am certain this damage was not on the car when I returned it. I would like Sixt to be investigated since fraudulent claims seem to be a pattern for them and I would like all charges dropped. I wrote a letter to the BBB on September 26, 2019 and a representative from Sixt contacted me and said because I wrote a letter to the BBB, they dropped the amount of damage from $513 to $380. On October 8, 2019, I spoke to a representative from Sixt and he stated that there is no time and date stamp on any of their photos. I doubt this. I am sure if it was legitimate damage, they could certainly provide that. He also stated he would not provide any incident reports for the vehicle prior to or after my rental. He did state that the vehicle is currently out for rent and will be returning in three days. He also stated that the vehicle never went in for repairs. I asked that a photo be taken of the car in its' current condition because I am certain that the damage they are stating is not on the vehicle I rented. Well that rental period of 3 days has come and gone and guess what, still no pictures. If there actually was damage, i'm sure I'd have those pictures by now. This Company should be embarrassed of how they do business. Their dishonestly and lack of integrity is a disgrace to the Sixt family name. Unfortunately, for Hotwire, if they keep offering deals with businesses like Sixt, I will not do business with them either.

Jen V.
October 15th, 2019 Dayton, OH DETAILS

Be aware of toll roads! We were not given the option to pre-pay for tolls. Three weeks after our trip we received an invoice that our tolls totaled $11.78 but SIXT charged us an additional $50 .00 for "Administration Fee Toll." We drove through South FL to Key West so tolls were unavoidable. We have rented from other companies in states with frequent tolls and and have never been charged an administration fee. and typically we are able to use the "fast pass" lanes to avoided this type of issue. Also, we reserved a Mercedes and ended up with a Volvo....NOT the same quality in our opinion.

Frank
October 15th, 2019 Palatine, IL DETAILS

This company is a joke. Returned our car they found a littlest tiniest scratch and Are trying to charge me $500 for it. Unreal. I rented at Tampa Airport. The guy literally told me don’t worry about it the insurance companies pay for it anyway.

Tommie L
October 15th, 2019 Dallas, GA DETAILS

They have nice new cars and the staff is friendly and professional. It’s the least stressful rental or travel arrangement I have ever had to deal with. Actually with the miles I drive for work me renting a car from them is cheaper then buying a new one and paying a big insurance bill and maintenance. Brittany B has been especially efficient and always brought me a fresh new car out within minutes. She is definitely is off the charts when it comes to customer service.

harish
October 14th, 2019 DETAILS

Not sure why they are inbussoness almost imposspible to contact. Someone need to review there cancellation policy. Why it cost more than actual rental charge? still it is ok...

Michael
October 11th, 2019 Santa Cruz, CA DETAILS

I rented a car with Sixt for five days without incident. Did the walk around with the agent upon return, no problems. A full week after my return I receive notification that there is a scratch on the car and a bill for $450. My five attempts to get the information to file a claim with my insurer were met with the company continuing to send my contract and pictures of the car. They would not directly answer any of the questions that were posed to them or provide additional information.

Daryl
October 11th, 2019 DETAILS

Rented in Amsterdam. Car had A LOT of minor damage documented on the contract. When we returned the car we did a walk around with the attendant and all was fine. A week later I get a notice for damages that were there when we first rented the car. Totally Bogus! Stay away from this company!!

David Arthur
October 11th, 2019 DETAILS

This company is deceiving. I rented a car online. When arriving, the car was not as large as they said it would be. They said I had to take insurance (something not disclosed beforehand). The day before they said that there were car seats available and that I could pick one up on the day of my rental. When I arrived, the agent said that she would go get one. She came back and said that they didn't have one for an infant. She said I could cancel my reservation but that I would need to contact Customer Service. You are forced to deal with Customer Service in country, not in the US in your language and with different customer service levels. They end the end said that they would still charge me for the rental I never picked up. Simply, I couldn't rent something that I could not drive with a 2 year old child. I wasn't going to be forced to take insurance that I didn't need, etc. The customer service is horrible. I will never rent here again and I highly recommend that everyone look at the other companies. You get what you pay for.

Ellen Morris
October 9th, 2019 Potomac, MD

I found Sixt Rent a Car to be unreliable and a bit sketchy. I did not feel like the process of renting it was as clean and seamless as it has been with other car rentals.

Alex
October 8th, 2019 DETAILS

STAY AWAY!!! THE WORST COMPANY!!! On Monday, 12th of August 2019, after a long trip from Greece, I arrived in the airport of Edinburgh with my wife and I went to the reception of Sixt, in order to receive the car of my reservation and to begin our honeymoon. There, something beyond belief happened. Sixt's employees rejected my VALID EU driving license because it did not have english letters, according to the "company's policy". As a result of this I had to go to EVERY SINGLE company in the rental center, in order to find an available car in the FULL SEASON of August. After THREE hours I finally rented a car from Europcar. My first day of my honeymoon was ruined because of Sixt, as I arrived to Glasgow, where I had booked a hotel, at 23:00! When I asked the employees in what policy they were reffering to, showing to them the official policy from the official site of Sixt, they pointed to me the paragraph for the non EU licenses. When Greece became a non EU country??? Their policy said clearly: "Valid driving licences of all other EU countries are accepted in the UK without further preconditions". Every other company accepted my VALID EU driving license, with my VALID EU ID for translation. They just did not have any available car, except of Europcar, because of the full season. That's why I had made a reservation in Sixt and I paid for this, 8 months ago, in order to guarantee a car. Also, the employees told me that I would receive a mail for a refund and that on Tuesday (13/08/2019) the manager would call me. I did not receive any mail or phone call. They led me to such a hassle and they didn't even contact me!! That is UNACCEPTABLE!!! Stay away in order to avoid a similar hassle!! I paid the double amount of money and I did not received any refund!

Aida
October 8th, 2019 Mountain View, CA DETAILS

Horrible customer service and their app. I booked it on my name and asked to change to my husband’s name when we actually arrived at the rental. We wanted to have one driver and they said they can’t change the name! Therefore they charged us money for an extra driver.

Susan
October 8th, 2019 DETAILS

Stay away from this car rental company! We will never rent a car from this company again. Several day after we returned the car at Philadelphia airport SIXT, we received an email asking us to fill out a damage claim form for two scratches that have mentioned on the car rental contract when we pickup the car.

Greg B
October 2nd, 2019 DETAILS

Beyond a doubt this is a big scam. I did not damage the car yet a few days later there is a claim for underbody damages. I know this is pure BS but what can one do? This company should be shut down. Please rent from a real and reputable car company not some scam artist. Worst experience ever from the moment I arrive and it does not end there. From a $3500 credit card hold on rental to the claim of damages. Really Sixt??? How are you still in business. Worst company ever. I should have know better but I got sucked in by nice cars at reasonable prices.

MK
October 1st, 2019 Excelsior, MN DETAILS

Buyer beware! Do not be fooled. There is a reason this company is the cheapest rate you are going to see when looking for rentals. They suck you in because the process of booking is very streamlined and quick and the prices are way better than the other companies out there. At pickup, you will most likely be upgraded for a small fee to a nicer car. THIS WILL HAUNT YOU LATER in the form of an invoice for the difference between the original car you rented and the upgrade. BUT YOU WILL HAVE ALREADY PAID THAT DIFFERENCE WHEN YOU PICKED UP YOUR CAR. Also, do yourself a favor and do your own walk around the vehicle when you pick up the car. Take tons of photos and do a slow pan video of the entire car. RECORD EVERY SCRATCH AND DING because the real scam starts when you go to drop off your car at the end. The agent will walk around the car looking at the “damage”. They will say that they see some damage, but they are willing to wave it this one time. Take note of what they are making down, because that is what you will be arguing about later. When you get home, you will receive an invoice for damage to the vehicle. Even when you respond with your photos and video, there will be a whole lot of waiting and back and forth arguing about nothing. This company runs a giant racket. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Jeff
September 30th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

If I could give Sixt a negative star rating I would. We booked our car rental through Expedia.com for a Sixt car and the price I was shown through Expedia was $407.26 for the week. We just got done with our trip and the charge on my credit card was $829.96! I have reached out to Sixt.com multiple times and not one person has responded to my inquiries about the charge. This company is fraudulent and should not be trusted. I would recommend going through a rental company that has a better track record than Sixt. They clearly are mastering the art of the ripoff as opposed to creating loyal clients by dedicating themselves to a high level of customer service.

Stephan Papa
September 30th, 2019 Denver, CO DETAILS

Beware. They are deceitful; they charged me for a fraudulent claim; it started with the agent at the Porto, Portugal airport selling me up to an expensive car saying I needed it for the mountains, then they didn't go over the car with me to check for damage before giving it to me, then they charged me for a full tank of gas instead of giving me the option of bringing it back full, and then they claimed a windshield speck, which they said happened during my time driving the car, required a new windshield and charged me for it. I will never rent from Sixt again and caution you to beware.

Krystyna
September 30th, 2019 DETAILS

Worse rental company ever. Dishonest !!!! I hope that my review saves somebody from the horrible experience we had with this company.

FuqSixt
September 26th, 2019 DETAILS

Worse rental company ever. Keep your receipts because they’ll charge you astronomical amounts weeks later claiming system errors. STAY AWAY FROM THIS FRAUDULENT COMPANY!

Varoujan
September 24th, 2019 Burbank, CA DETAILS

When I made reservations with Sixt through Expedia, I was quoted a certain price for UNLIMITED MILES. At the airport in Riga they told me that my quote was for 100km/day and for every extra mile I will be charged a certain fee/mile. I had no choice but to rent the car but then had to cancel some of my trips because of distance. I called customer service and sent them a screenshot of my contract that showed unlimited miles. They told me that they will investigate it and will return to me shortly. Of course, that never happened. Very disappointed.

Tim
September 23rd, 2019 Bellefonte, PA DETAILS

Lots of people on here saying bad things so I'm going to start with the good then explain the bad and why I only gave 3 stars. I rented and prepaid $265 ($38 a day after taxes etc.) in March for their Mercedes E Class or similar level of rental for 1 week in September (6 Months advance notice) for my vacation in Tampa Florida, their online process was easy, filled out all required info. declined all insurances at booking. When I arrived they did not have the level I booked so offered me an upgrade (more on this later) what I drove off the lot with was a BMW X5 4.0, with all the trimmings, the car was wonderful, it ran flawlessly for the whole week, it was clean, comfortable, and well looked after, there was some minor dings and things which were already listed on the paperwork as being present, we photographed that damage anyway to be safe. After a faultless wee riding around in a very nice car, The return process in Tampa was simple, pull into the return line, leave the keys inside the car, Person comes over, checks over for any new damage, level of gas in tank etc, Good to go. Swift and easy return no issue. So now the bad. what upset me. So after I gave them 6 months notice of me wanting a Mercedes E class or similar, they did not have one, the guy at the counter was very nice, friendly, polite, well spoken. "Very sorry sir we don't have that class on the lot right now so I can offer you an upgrade to a BMW X5, would that be ok?" "sure that would be fine, thankyou" So o.k. on we go through the process, he verifies my ID, asks if we want insurance etc etc regular check out process. Until almost the last part of the rental agreement process where he's going over the charges, and gets to a $30 a day upgrade fee.....I stop him right there and protest that, it's not my fault you didn't have my car, so Why are you trying to charge me almost the same again for the car, He tried to con me off saying it was standard for upgrade, I continued to protest, if i go to enterprise and they don't have my car, they upgrade for free. He calls his manager on the phone "they don't want to pay for the upgrade" he comes back to me, would $20 a day be o.k.?, I refuse again, he goes back to the manager as he's talking with the manager I look up the rental cost difference on their app, between the Merc and the BMW, it's a $13 a day difference to book it on their app right there. I show him that and as I'm tired and just want to get to my hotel to lay down for a bit I agree that $13 a day would be fine. He confirms with his manager, hangs up and rewrites the bill, shows me the $100 total extra charge, I sign and off we go. This is why they get 3 stars not 5 from me. If you don't have a car and offer an upgrade, that upgrade should be free. I could understand you arguing if I book the car the day before or something but I gave you 6 months notice of my rental so any failure to provide is your fault not mine. This Company was great except for that. I would rent again but I'll probably just buy from the counter when I get there instead of prepaying and being upset. It's a little more expensive to pay on the day but the few $ extra would be worth it to avoid the "Forced Up sell"

Jack
September 19th, 2019 Bloomfield Hills, MI DETAILS

Absolutely the worst, crooked rental car company in the world! They are dishonest and tried to charge us with much more money than what was agreed on rental agreement. STAY AWAY, they are crooks and should be out of business!!

Chris D
September 17th, 2019 McKinleyville, CA DETAILS

Worst rental car company in the buisness. They over charged me triple. When I went to get car i reserved they said it wasnt avail and I needed to pay 190 for an uograde to get a car. Then the car they gave me broke down within 5 minutes. Returned took 3 hours to get another one. When i returned was told a price. Then the charged my card triple the amount for no reason. Car was returned in perfect shape with no overages. Stay far away

Michael
September 13th, 2019 Atherton, CA

Run, don't walk! Made a reservation over Internet and upon arrival to Madrid Airport they didn't want to allow us to use the insurance provided by our credit card because they said we had to decline their insurance upon reservation - but they don't provide any way to decline it. We walked away and rented from a different company - Eurocar. Then Sixt charged our card for $330 and lied to the credit card company that we actually rented the car from them, so now we have to spend a lot of time to dispute it!

Brown Adams
September 11th, 2019 Dallas, TX DETAILS

I experienced poor customer service at the Dallas/Addison Marriott Quorum by the Galleria location. Two ladies working at the front desk have the worst attitude by an employee, they were rolling their eyes and basically not interested in serving me. They gave me the wrong information which made me waste a whole hour running around, just plain incompetent and unaware of the job duties. Fake plastic smiles, no courtesy whatsoever.

laura o
September 9th, 2019 Sayreville, NJ DETAILS

Just be informed that if you dont take out extra insurance and you get a flat tire you will have to pay for it. I called the service number and was asked if someone could change the tire(thank god for my son being with me or that probably would have been another charge) then was told i would have to bring tire to be fixed at a specified dealer. I was told on phone I would have to front the money and be reimbursed after. When returning car I spoke to agent and was given an email to send copies of bill to. 3 days later received response saying "Dear Madam, Thank you for your correspondence. As you did not purchased tyre and windscreen coverage, a damaged tyre and any incurred expenses would be your responsibility. Please forward the documents to your own insurance provider in order to avail of a refund. Kind regards, Ciaran Customer Service Team Ireland

Jose Perez
September 9th, 2019 Victorville, CA DETAILS

Rented a car and when I returned it it had (not from me) a very VERY little scratch. Their lack of response to Allianz (had the car covered by them) so they could get paid has been terrible and will never ever rent from Sixt again. I'm a frequent traveler (Platinum in Delta and so forth) so I do rent a lots of cars. Called many times Sixt's claims department and had never the calls answered. One time I waited over 2hrs and finally hanged up. DON'T RENT FROM SIXT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comfort O.
September 6th, 2019 Bothell, WA DETAILS

SIXT was responsible for easily the worst experience I ever had. The girl who checked me not only charged me $80 for daily car insurance which I declined twice, but now they refuse to respond and more importantly credit me the charge. I rented with them twice and both experiences were horrible. The second, a small rink a dink counter in the Hyatt hotel in downtown Seattle, had two dumbfounded college kids failing me left and right. They had their manager - Cesar R cancel my $225 reservation the night before pickup, didn't notify me so I was denied after already arriving AND CHARGED ME THE FULL RESERVATION. That's a whopping $300 they've stolen from me. They will reap what they sow.

Daniel Green
September 4th, 2019 San Francisco, CA DETAILS

SIXT Rent A Cars are a FRAUDULENT Nightmare. SCAM! FRAUD! AVOID! I pre-payed for a day to transfer from Split to Pula, Croatia. The wait at Split Airport was LONG and HOT. It took 2 hours to pick up the car at their makeshift outdoor container-like offices. The agent informs me that I've got a free upgrade to an automatic and a tank of gas (turns out I was charged for the gas). I purchase the collision damage waiver at his recommendation, just in case...I lost the car keys when I arrived in Pula. I called the local office as soon as they opened the next morning and was told that I should pay parking until 2 pm, and that the car would be picked up by an agent, and that I would be charged for the replacement key. When I returned from my trip, I found my credit card charged $192 for the lost key (fair enough), but an additional charge was made for $586 for a scratch that I was not notified of, and had absolutely nothing to do with. I was also charged an extra day charged. They provided no evidence of damage until I appealed (twice). I was later supplied with low resolution photos taken with flash at night of the car, and photos of a scratch - location on the car and size undisclosed. Their email said the car was towed rather than opened because the parking brake had been "engaged on the hill". The car was left on the flat at the ferry dock in P (no additional brake). They said they would open the car with the help of a local dealer, but subsequently communicated it had been towed (which could well have scratched the vehicle). No notification, no repair quote, nothing until queried. If I hadn't checked my statement carefully, they would have slipped it past my attention. Single day rental, total charges now exceed $900. Suffice it to say I wish I had selected a US company. The company has thus far failed to concede a single error on their account. DO NOT USE SIXT CAR RENTAL UNLESS YOU ARE READY TO PAY THE SAME FOR A DAY AS FOR AN TRANSATLANTIC FLIGHT.

Pete
September 4th, 2019 Portland, OR DETAILS

Renting the car was fine, just like any other rental company. My review is for post rental. When I returned the car we found a small dent in the door. I don't recall anything happening and I denied that I caused this damage. The employee was extremely friendly and said "Perfect, not a problem, if you didn't do this, no issues here". I then appealed the damages and everything was fine. 3 MONTHS LATER....I get a letter in the mail that said there was additional damage found to the car on the rear bumper. They attached a photo and there is no damage to the car at all. It rained when I was there and the car has water droplets on it. I was charged $462 for damages and a $50 admin fee. Don't use this company. You'll rent a brand new nice car for a few days, then get charged for damages you didn't do.

Michael Jaffe
September 4th, 2019 Delray Beach, FL DETAILS

Rented a Toyota Yaris at Ben-Gurion Airport (TLV) in Tel Aviv for two weeks, arranged through Expedia. The handover was smooth and quick, even during prime tourist season. The staff was extremely friendly and efficient. The vehicle had 1400 km on it, so it was practically new and in pristine condition. No issues with the car. Car return was also quick, very friendly staff. A year earlier, I had used SixT at Reykjavik, and the pickup experience was not nearly as good. There seem to be a number of factors influencing the experience, but, for the most part, SixT seems to be a good discount option.