Sixt Rent A Car Logo

Sixt Rent A Car

7.6

LAST UPDATED: September 16th, 2021

SIXT started out with three locations and grew into an international company with locations throughout the United States. Currently, the company is present in 105 countries across the globe with over 2,000 branch locations. SIXT purchases more than 200,000 vehicles annually and owns the world's largest fleet of premium German cars.

The Good

• Vehicle Types
  • Price Range
  • Toll Prepay Option
  • Online Check-In

Vehicle Types

The SIXT vehicle fleet hosts models from German favorites like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi. Vehicle types include:

• Convertibles
  • Luxury cars
  • Minivans
  • SUVs
  • Passenger vans

Price Range

SIXT offers vehicles ranging in average prices in the car rental industry. While the prices are not necessarily low, SIXT's car selection is of a higher quality than many economy budget car rentals. The car make and models are newer and more modern so if that is important to you then the average cost is more than worth paying. Regardless of the price listed for a car, though, SIXT boasts a Best Price Guarantee.

Toll Prepay Option

A very convenient feature is the ability to order toll passes through the company's website. Having a toll pass makes your commute easier when you travel. This comes as part of the online check-in.

Online Check-In

You can check in your car from SIXT's website instead of the rental counter using one of two options: the online check-in portal via the website or the on-site terminal. After you sign in and check in with your reservation number, you go to SIXT's express counter and swap your signature for the car keys. For the terminal option, follow these steps:

1. Insert your Sixt Express Card or credit card into the terminal.
  2. The terminal detects your card automatically and shows you the reservation. You also have the option of booking extras at this point, such as winter tires.
  3. Select your car out of three vehicle options.
  4. Confirm the booking details and print your rental agreement.
  5. Open the safe and take the vehicle keys.

This makes checking in easy and fast and eliminates the issue of long lines that you get with other car rental companies.

The Bad

• Limited U.S. Availability
  • No Instant Return
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

Limited U.S. Availability

SIXT has rental car locations in 15 states, so your options are limited in the United States. Sixt has rental counters at some major airports throughout North America, but not as many as some competitors. For instance, most rental companies have counters at JFK, LaGuardia, or Newark airports in the New York City area and SIXT does not. On the plus side, SIXT is worldwide, so it is likely to cover your international travel needs.

No Instant Return

SIXT lacks an instant return option where you can leave the car with the keys inside. You must return the vehicle to a rental office (or other identified location) on the date and time specified in your rental agreement.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

SIXT does not offer discounts for fueling your vehicle on-site. If a customer returns the car low on gas, SIXT charges a $50 fee.

The Bottom Line

If you're itching to try out a new or luxury car, look no further than SIXT. With quick check-in, no hidden costs, and free cancellation, SIXT is all about convenience. However, the company is not readily available throughout North America, especially in smaller states and cities.

1.3

Tara Sottong Hayward, CA

Don’t make the same mistake I did. I paid up front. When I had to cancel my reservation 3 weeks in advance, they kept $100. Had I made the reservation and not paid, I wouldn’t have had no penalty. They are very shady. I can’t get anyone on the phone and the emails that I received don’t have a person’s name just “customer service” There are too many choices for car rentals to have to deal with this. Scroll past these people.

Jewdyer Osborne Brooklyn, NY

Rented a car from this agency and was quoted a price for the rental. I receive the bill and see that it is much more than I was quoted. I called sixth on numerous occasions to be promised calls and emails back from customer service. The correspondence from them never happened. At this point this shady rental company can have the money they stole. Ill.never use thos crappy company ever again and I will make sure that I alert all of my friends to leave this company alone. It's pretty bad when an employee in their corporate office tells me that there are only 2 people in their customer service department and that it takes weeks to get back to a customer.

David Yu Berlin, BE

Sixt KNOWINGLY rented me a faulty car!! I had previously left a 5-star review, but when things go wrong, you get nothing from Sixt customer service. Here's what happened: I rented a car to pick up my partner from Poland at the end of summer vacation. I did the standard check of the car to make sure there are no problems. On my drive I found that the previous driver dropped his wallet in the car and was able to connect to the previous driver to plan to return his wallet once I return to Berlin. When I got to Poland and the first time my partner sat in the passenger seat, we learned that the extremely loud seat belt alarm would go off even when the seat belt is fastened. This meant the passenger seat is useless and it's not something I could possibly have learned from inspecting the car when I picked it up, because the car would have to be moving for the alarm to go off. I contacted Sixt right away. No response. This meant my partner had to sit uncomfortably in the back and we couldn't bring back all the luggage and had to leave some at the parents'. The worst thing is, the previous driver who dropped his wallet returned the car within 5 minutes of renting this car because of this problem, and probably no more than 30 minutes before I picked up the car, so Sixt KNEW full well this was a faulty car and didn't inform me that I was picking up a faulty car. I contacted customer service again after returning the car, but have gotten no reply. I will unfortunately have to take it up with my credit card company. Really disappointed with the dishonesty and the lack of customer support.

Nick Nashville, TN

FRAUDULENT Business practices!!! Terrible experience with Sixt. I pre-booked a BMW X3 in Minneapolis through a 3rd party booking site for $964. Upon arriving at the airport Sixt’s estimated price was nearly $300 under the voucher paid amount so they immediately try to give me a much more expensive vehicle to match the voucher and avoid a refund. The shady salesman antic isn’t what triggered me to write this review though. After renting the X3 and returning it unharmed I received a rental receipt that included the rental amount and tax breakdowns. This came in around $833 total. Cool, so I’ll get a refund right because this is less then the prepaid amount? RIGHT!?? No. A week later I get the final invoice through email for over $1000. The rental amount was the same as the original rental receipt but in place of the original tax bill, the invoice had a line item titled “Voucher Differnz” for nearly the exact amount of tax value that was listed on the previous rental receipt. Then they totaled the Rental Amount and the “Voucher Differnz” line item to $833 and charged taxes again off the “new” subtotal. You can’t call them because they’ve used Covid as an excuse to disable their phone system. I sent 5 emails to the advised customer support email address. This morning I finally get a response back and this is the email word for word. “ Please accept our apology for the delay in response. All prices are net prices. State, federal and local taxes apply to all rentals. *Local renters are defined as renters who pick up a rental vehicle in the state of their residence as identified by the address on their driver's license. Thank you for your understanding and we hope you have a great day.” Clearly someone read my emails and took the time to investigate the matter. Great customer service Sixt, I especially enjoyed the fun inapplicable definition of a local renter and the restatement that taxes are charged on rentals. Really great insight. I look forward to next month’s reply with equal excitement that you won’t own your mistake and provide another thrilling, useless tidbit. “All rentals are subject to rental charges.” My only current recourse is to dispute the difference charged to my credit card of ~$50 and complain to the 3rd party booking site for hosting such a fraudulent company. I’d love to see an internal breakout of Sixt’s income statement, specially income from “Voucher Differnz”.

Aric Dershem Grand Rapids, MI

We rented from SiXT in Geneva Switzerland. The car was in good working order, but during checkout, we were offered additional insurance to cover any damages. We chose the additional insurance for 500 CHF. During our trip, we were forced to the side of a narrow mountain road by an oncoming truck and rubbed against a fence post - creating a 1.5cm scratch on the front bumper. Upon returning the car, we were charged 1500 CHF additional for repairs. I will never use SiXT again after my experience and would not recommend that you do either.

Allison Hubbard Tempe, AZ

I went on a trip to Nice, France. While there I rented a car from Sixt Rent A Car located at the Nice Airport. I prepaid $574 to have the car for 48 hours. The contract has 500 km included and additional km are charged at around $1.50/km. Two days after I returned the car (on time) I received an invoice for $13,919.59 stating I drove a total of 5,865 km. For my Americans that's 3,644 miles. Driving from California to Florida is only 2,706.4 miles. We'd have to drive 75 mph with no breaks for the entire 48 hour rental period to even accomplish that distance. We'd have to drive the entire border of France 1 and a 1/2 times. My wife emailed twice when the charge was pending on our account. Once the charge posted I called their corporate line and was told their customer service phone line was down and to email. I sent an email as directed. We've received no response to any emails. I had to dispute with my credit card company.

Doug N Urbandale, IA

One star is too good for Sixt. Bait and switch. At the Nuremburg site, I had a Audi car reserved at a good price through a third party. Get there and they give me a run around. The AUdi came back damaged, you can have this slightly smaller one. Oh no, that one isn't available. I have on left - it is even smaller. We will give you a discounted price. But you didn't have 1 way drop priced in. Bill is $400 on top of the price I paid for the rental. I did have the one way paid for, but they keep you spinning by changing cars and asking you questions and then you pay for it. This my first and very last time I will used SixT. Maybe a good price to start, but beware, they will take you to the cleaners if they get the chance.

sara m San Francisco, CA

This company is really awful. They claim I scratched two separate rentals (which didn't happen), and I ended up paying an extra $1700 ! I rent cars all the time and have never had a bad experience with another company. I'm writing a review, maybe for the first time ever because of having such a terrible experience. I rented cars from Sixt twice in the last year and both times they claimed I scratched the car and charged me for it. It was basically my word against theirs and I had no choice but to pay it. The first time I thought maybe it did get scratched and I just didn't realize it, but on the second one I realized this is a total scam! I seriously can't believe what a rip-off this was. So disappointing. So expensive.

Donna Simms Masterson Louisville, KY

Renters beware of accepting a car with prior damages. Even though the so called receipt the agent gives you list the known damages of the vehicle, they will still want you to pay for damages when the car is returned and the receiving crew assesses the car, without your presence. I went back to the agent when I saw the damages and he assured me the receipt listed the damages and all was good, so I took the car against my better judgement. I trusted them. What a stupid thing to do! Their process is to turn the car in without a returning walk through so you can show that the damages were previously done with our receipt listing them. The company does not look into the vehicle history to assess who did the damages they just send you a bill. Don't accept these cars and rely on a receipt to not hold you accountable. Terrible process for the customer!!

S. Smith Tampa, FL

Great costumer service, friendly and helpful gentleman. Helped to solve problems. For example, Upgraded me for free with a navigation (GPS) option that I realized then that I needed and did not have in the previous booked car.

Ruud Vullers

Horrible experience. Car was poorly serviced and I had the fix the issues at my own expense. Now I am unable to get a refund. The alarm number listed in the contract is totally useless.

Riashi, Diane Saint Clair Shores, MI

Do not rent from the company Only phone service they have is for rental. All other communication must be done by email. If you call the phone call goes dead. They added extra charges on my bill I've been waiting a month to hear back from them.

Dani Grooms Morrow, GA

This company needs to reevaluate there refund process!!!! I booked a prepaid rental online. When I got there NO cars were AVAILABLE so of course my refund should have been automatic due to no fault of my own. It has been nothing short a hassle to have my money refunded back. the process is too long and inconvenient. If you request a refund it has to go through some type of investigation which takes 3-5 days then it takes up to 10 days for the refund to be refunded to your actual card. This a unnecessarily lengthy process. It should not be this difficult I'm very disappointed.

Shauna Hatch Layton, UT

We showed up to get our two rentals. Apparently the larger vehicle had been in a wreck. Sixt offered us replacements that were not big enough to hold all of the passengers and luggage so we had to fork over another $750 to get a large vehicle. The customer service rep assured us we should get all of the money back. Not only did Sixt keep the extra $750, they charged us another $400-$500 when we got home! We returned the vehicles without any damage! Insanity! I will never rent from this rip-off company again!

Stephen Nelson Nashville, TN

Beware of Fraudulent Damage Claims and Questionable Business Practices I rented a BMW from Sixt at Orlando International Airport in November 2020. The car was not clean. I removed trash. I returned it better than I received it and turned it over to the representative who indicated there was nothing to do and I departed. Several weeks later, I received an email message falsely accusing me of damaging the vehicle. There was no new damage to the car when I returned it. I disputed the claim hoping they had merely made a mistake. However, despite multiple communications with Sixt, the issue has yet to be resolved and they have not dropped the false claim. Note that Better Business Bureau has recorded 834 complaints against Sixt in the past three years. Note also, Sixt is not BBB accredited. An Internet search yields results of numerous lawsuits against Sixt and numerous unfavorable reviews. If they were willing to properly investigate and resolve the matter satisfactorily, I would give a favorable review. However, their integrity is in question and I now know they cannot be trusted.

Ace Theriot Phillipsburg, NJ

I rented a car with Sixt in Dominican Republic at Santo Domingo (Boca Chica) Airport Location. I, and others in line, felt pressured into purchasing their insurance at a rate much more than that was shown online. If you don’t get their insurance, they take a $2K deposit on your credit card. Their middle insurance on a seven day rental was $300 USD. The car was $250. On the fifth day of my trip, while traveling through Santiago, a driver slammed into the side of my vehicle making it immobile. I called Sixt via the number on their document and was told they would send a vehicle to pick us up. The vehicle never came forcing me to get a hotel room. The next day, the same thing happened; this time I was told we would have to ride in the tow truck back to Santo Domingo (not where I was staying). I told them I wasn’t staying there and was told there was an exchange vehicle coming. The vehicle never arrived. The next day, I found out how to take a bus to where I was staying as I had been waiting for two days in the same clothing and I had missed my flight home. I contacted their Corporate Via their website, but they never reached out. It’s been nearly three weeks now. Two weeks after the accident, Sixt called and asked me to bring the keys back to Santo Domingo. I told them I would not. I ended up leaving them with an agent at another of their Sixt counters and had them sign for them. This Sixt location is shady! I paid for their expensive insurance and they left me stranded. They tried to lie via email saying I refused the exchange car. I asked why do I still have your keys if that’s the case? Why did I have to get a hotel in a place I was unfamiliar with for two nights? Why would I catch a local bus for six hours to get back to my hotel, which I didn’t stay in for two nights. They then charged me for damage to the tires and side mirror as this apparently isn’t included in their insurance. Fortunately for me my Credit Card Insurance covered it. Stay away at all costs!!!

Mahria Beachnau Farmington, MI

BEWARE!!! Go somewhere else to rent your car, ANYWHERE else!!! They not only have hidden fees but also charge bank accounts extra after car has been returned and give no explanation as to why nor an invoice. Absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to get ahold of anyone through this so-called "company". Seriously save yourself a headache and don't trust them. Zero costumer service because there is no costumer service hotline, email or call center. I have rented through many car companies and I have no idea how this place is even in business and I don't think they will be for long once people start catching on to their multiple scams.

Robert kulda Hemel Hempstead, HRT

In short we booked with Epsom brunch,which was confirmed by email to pick up a Luton van on 21.6. at 8am as we arrived we spotted the sigh" temporarily closed due to pandemic call please this number"so we called but no actual help and someone to talk to, just redirected to other departments or hung up due too large volume of calls 🤔. And now in details. I sent this message twice but no reply since, instead a doubled invoice. Please enjoy"Good morning,I'd like to raise a complain and apply for partial refund due to many issues I faced from pick up to return,today at 8am I returned your Luton van at Croydon branch as agreed all the way from Bournemouth.The issues were following 1) my pick up location was at Epsom not Croydon (40 min drive) from my home, when I arrived at Epsom, the brunch was closed due to pandemic and no-one informed us about it in advance,just received a reminder to pick it up at Epsom few days before 2) we managed to get another one at 11am from Croydon brunch making me to return it at 8 am,so I uploaded and unloaded the car in Bournemouth at 11pm when finished making my seller agent to wait for us over 4 hours and I drove back all the way again to return it on time 3) pin on 1 side door securing door roll hinges was missing as tried to open causing me injury on my head as the other side of roll fell down due to this missing security pin, luckily nothing serious happened and I could carry on with uploading and unloading but only with doors halfway shut. Very dangerous and should have been checked regularly. So all in all bad experience, exhausted,angry and injured, therefore I expect some refund or ideally full refund as it could have ended very badly with that lack of security and negligence unless you want me to take it further, Thank you regards Robert Kulda

Charnise Johnson Chicago, IL

I visited Miami, Fl May 14th, 2021 and had so many issues it was ridiculous. When I arrived at the airport to pick up the car I rented, first they would not take the card I booked with And demanded that I had to use another card to finish the transaction, I did that and I have been getting constant fraudulent charges on both cards every other day! They also didn’t not have the car I booked and forced me to get another car, and then when I got in the car, the cars computer system was malfunctioning! I will never use them ever again! I do not recommend Sixt to nobody! They are horrible rental service that is not honest about the price, and has no order!!

Jennifer Thompson Moultonborough, NH

Horrifying. They claim I damaged the car with a scratch, which I did not and they cannot prove it was me, yet they are harassing me for hundreds of dollars. They are scammers and frauds and should be put out of business. I did not even want to give one star.

Crystal Richards Lake Orion, MI

Horrible company! Charging me months later for damage to vehicle that did not occur while I rented it. I contested and heard nothing for months. When I reached out, they said there is nothing to be done, despite having no proof the damage occurred while I had the vehicle, and they they were taking me to collections. Do not use!

Nellie Carol Stream, IL

I had a car reservation with Sixt in Chicago. The “customer service” rep was condescending & rude from the start; instead of a “hello”, she told me to “go read the sign” and threatened to cancel my reservation, if I didn’t put a mask on. I immediately chose to take my business to a different counter and rent from Avis instead, where people still have a say over their own bodies and are treated with respect. The Avis rep was helpful, pleasant and courteous. I will gladly cross off Sixt from my list of car rental options in the future.

Yandasmom Yandasmom Chicago, IL

I wish l could give them -100 stars because one star is too good for them. I will never rent a vehicle with Sixt ever!!! I had car trouble on my way to Atlanta, in one of their vehicles. The vehicle was shaking, so we were driving at low speeds because we did not feel safe. I call Sixt Indianapolis Airport where l had rented the car and Rochelle said she could not help me and l needed to call customer service. Customer service said that was fine l could go and exchange a vehicle at another Sixt once l got to Atlanta. Easy right, NO, Sixt Indianapolis then called me threatening to charge me a drop off fee of $900 if l did not return the car to Indianapolis. I told them the customer service they had told me to call was glad to change the vehicle and ensure our safety. Sheila/Alice/Stella whatever her name was then told me that Sixt is franchised meaning they operate as individual companies versus a national company. Therefore that car was owned by the Indianapolis Airport Sixt and needed to return there because they would have to find someone to go to Atlanta to pick it up. I asked her why then l was told to call customer service and that so l was required to drive an unsafe car back to Indy, she said yes. She added her boss had drove the car before and it was fine, okay? So what does that have to do with our current problem? IF SIXT IS NOT ONE COMPANY AND THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT FRANCHISES THEN WHY NOT HAVE DIFFERENT NAMES. This was my first time renting with Sixt and DEFINATELY!!! THE LAST. They taught me a hard lesson JUST STICK TO REPUTABLE car rental places like Budget, Avis, National, Hertz, Enterprise that have been in business forever, they have realized that customer service is important to grow a business a concept Sixt has obviously not mastered. I guess that explains why when l picked up the car, Sixt counter was empty with one or two people yet they were long lines by Avis and Budget. I guess those people learnt a lesson as well before me!!! AND I REPEAT NEVER!!! AGAIN!!! And did l mention they called me twice a day before my rental to find out if l was coming to pick up my PREPAID car!!! Ridiculous...

Michael Jaffe Delray Beach, FL

Rented a Toyota Yaris at Ben-Gurion Airport (TLV) in Tel Aviv for two weeks, arranged through Expedia. The handover was smooth and quick, even during prime tourist season. The staff was extremely friendly and efficient. The vehicle had 1400 km on it, so it was practically new and in pristine condition. No issues with the car. Car return was also quick, very friendly staff. A year earlier, I had used SixT at Reykjavik, and the pickup experience was not nearly as good. There seem to be a number of factors influencing the experience, but, for the most part, SixT seems to be a good discount option.

Maureen E. Serge

I was so surprised to see the negative reviews for Sixt. I have been renting cars from Sixt for approximately 2 years and have never had a problem, and the customer service was fantastic. Besides their prices being the best in town, I always receive fast courtesy service from the counter people. Granted, I only rent when I am in Las Vegas, but I am there 3 or 4 times a year and use Sixt all the time. I tried the rest of the car rentals and they are expensive and never had the car that I originally reserved. BRAVO to Sixt. To all the new customers, don't be swayed by someone else's negativity.

Hon Jung Willoughby, OH

When I pick up my rental car already have some damage in the front and back. I am not smart enough to take to them or take a picture. After I return the car they claim for me I make that damage is so unbelievable the company will do that.

Paulo Santos Delray Beach, FL

Absolutely horrible experience with SIXT. First off upon arrival: I prepaid my rent, when claiming the car, they said they needed the card used because they would have to refund and then charge again. I did not have the card with my because my mom booked for me. IT WAS PREPAID AFTER ALL. The card I had with me was not enough to cover the "new charge" with deposit. I was stuck in the airport for more than 2 hours. My mom had to pick me up from Providence to Boston. Total time in the airport, almost 4 hours. When my mom arrived, SIXT did not even honor the price and charged more. Returning the car: when I full tanked the car, the range showed hundreds of miles more than I got it. Meaning they even gave me the car not fully fueled. On top of that, SIXT charged me for not fueling the to the original "range". So I am penalized for putting more gas? They charged extra. Next they claimed damages to the tires (WTH?) and charged extra again. My experience with SIXT was horrible. They are absolutely dishonest with their prices and their rental system. And they dont even have a hotline to complain. If you look up the reviews from SIXT, it speaks for itself. I gave it a shot and I absolutely regret it. I hope they will reverse the almost 100 dollars extra they charged me. But I doubt it. I have rented with many companies, never have I had this experience until with SIXT. It seems they would rather rip off a customer one time than have them as a repeat customer.

Helen Casserly Rochester, NY

Vikram, Khalid & Nick at (BHX) Birmingham Airport Sixt rental car provided me with EXCEPTIONAL service. My family was in crisis & my original contract with the Heathrow Airport office was misinterpreted & no longer served my needs. I arrived in an extremely distressed state, but was treated with so much empathy & compassion. They made me feel that no problem was insurmountable. I applaud Vikram, Khalid & Nick, they have ensured my loyalty to Sixt. ~ Helen Casserly ~

Tommie L Dallas, GA

They have nice new cars and the staff is friendly and professional. It’s the least stressful rental or travel arrangement I have ever had to deal with. Actually with the miles I drive for work me renting a car from them is cheaper then buying a new one and paying a big insurance bill and maintenance. Brittany B has been especially efficient and always brought me a fresh new car out within minutes. She is definitely is off the charts when it comes to customer service.

Robert Walker Boerne, TX

I booked a car rental with Sixt at the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport in advance of a vacation to Scottsdale. Upon arrival at the airport we realized we had too many bags (bulky golf clubs) to easily access the rental shuttle and thus I left my wife with most bags at the terminal while I took golf clubs and took the shuttle to the rental center and then drove back to pick up my wife. Unfortunately, I left the copy of my rental agreement in a bag with my wife but the agent was able to pull it up on his computer. I remembered ballpark numbers regarding the rental with the base price of $315 and taxes and fees taking the total up to just over $450. The car I had reserved was a Mercedes Gla or equivalent. While the agent did not specifically say there were none of that category available, he asked what type car I wanted. I said I didn't have a specific vehicle in mind and to be honest could not remember exactly what Mercedes model was listed and shown on my reservation. He turned the computer monitor around for me to see and first pulled up a Volvo station wagon to which I showed no interest. He then pulled up a Mercedes E300 and asked if that was ok and I said yes, it would. He did not make it clear it would be an upgrade and thus more expensive. He mentioned I had booked a base rate of $315 (plus change) and then said he could give me a first time renter's discount and AAA discount which yielded a rate of $216 plus tax and fees. It was not explained to me this was in addition to the amount of my reservation. The contract I eventually got a copy of did list it as an upgrade choice with the new charges as additional charges. However, there was nothing provided in print or shown to me on a monitor that included that information. All I saw on the little electronic pad that I signed on was a line for my signature. Now, I know it is my responsibility to be aware of what I am signing whether the electronic pad on which I am signing is displaying all the details or not. I did not know I could scroll back on the pad to see all the other information but I don't know that I would have even had I known, based on what I thought I understood from the way presented by the agent. Perhaps in the back of my mind I was rushed to get back and pick up my wife and bags and was not as attentive as I should have been. I do not think the agent was trying to take advantage of me or screw me. He was a very nice man and I would gladly deal with him again. Even if he never mentioned everything was additional charges, I should have inquired and read in detail what I was signing. Once I realized the total charges was almost $750 instead of just over $450, I was very disappointed. I contacted Sixt customer service and presented the information I have detailed here and after a brief investigation on their end got back to me. They did not want to have a very unhappy first time customer and made a one time exception as a good will gesture and credited me the additional charges. When I first made my reservation online, I was impressed with Sixt competitive rates although they deal with a higher class vehicles. I will definitely rent with them again, but I will also do my due diligence to make sure I fully understand every aspect of the rental and the associated costs. I highly recommend Sixt due to their excellent customer service, and their higher class vehicles at reasonable rates.

Robert Petersen

Accidentally booked a rental at the wrong airport. Wouldn’t modify and told me I’d have to pay a 50% cancellation fee even though I tried canceling within 10 minutes of the error. No ability to make phone contact with a human, just some automated email. Horrible company

Sophia Miami Beach, FL

AVOID. SCAM. FRAUD. They give you damaged car and CHARGE YOU for damages. Andrea gave damaged car, Francisco "apologized" and explained this is not the first time he received complaint about Andrea and offered a refund. Francisco did not issue any refunds but instead he charged for the damages of the car. I have been renting cars for 20 years and have never had such a disgraceful behavior. AVOID.

Robert Hoffman Miami, FL

Said that a volvo station wagon was an upgrade from Mercedes or similar reserved. Priceline said wouldnt be charged til pick up. Was charged on reservation by Sixt. When canceled and asked about refund, they said priceline would make that decision. Called priceline and told me I was not supposed to be charged til I picked up reservation. Bait and switch bad customer service. When pick up car from another company their cars were next to it in airport garage. Saw an awful lot of smaller Mercedes cars, bmw. Dont use this company. Currently disputing charge with credit card company!

Nicole C Trenton, NJ

If I could give a negative review I would. They ripped us off by renting out and "selling off" all cars in our price range. Forced us to upgrade and CHARGED us for it. They also tried to hit us with a B.S. $250 "cleaning fee" for smoking when we returned it. The car smelled like weed when we picked it up, and the whole week - we had no choice but to keep it because they were already short on cars. They did issue a refund when we complained, but would not refund the mandatory upgrade we were forced to take. It's not our fault that you sold away half of your fleet due to covid, and rented out the car class we reserved. The reservation was made 7 months in advance.

Eileen Pierson Argyle, TX

HORRIBLE - They rip you off - do not rent from them. Here is my story Sixt - I already contacted your "Customer Service", and their response was just ridiculous. Here are the facts. I rented via Priceline August 2020 and was charged immediately $313.09, which included taxes for a mid size car. When I arrived at Orlando International the lone girl at the booth said "I need your credit card". I know that's a normal practice to cover tolls, etc. even though I had my Sunpass with me. She proceeded to say "this is not the card you booked with". I replied yes I know but my chip is not working and I've yet to receive a new credit card, so I have to use my VISA - because even the swipe will not work". She said "well we don't normally accept this but I'll do it anyway." Really? That was just stupid also. Then she proceeded to ask the usual questions, and one was "do you want additional insurance, damage waiver etc." I said NO - I'm covered by my insurance company and I never take it. Apparently she added it anyway. Did I sign the document without reading every line - YES - because stupidly I assumed, as I have done for years in renting cars, that she did not go ahead and charge me anyway - and it was late at night. My husband was standing with me and verified we did not want the damage insurance, etc. LOOK AT THE TAPE WHICH YOUR EMPLOYEES SAID YOU HAVE ON EVERY TRANSACTION. When I got to the condo I looked at the receipt and was like WHAT??? She went and charged us and on top of that added taxes. We waited until we returned the car and talked to attendant to get this off our card. She said she cannot do it but would put in a complaint ticket about it. Of course she never did. If you look at the bill itself it's very confusing as well. First it says total $562.00, then under Authorization on 1/28/21 - it says $478.91. You charged me an additional $248.91 on my credit card. I submitted to my VISA CHASE to protest the charge. This is really a shame that I imagine you play on all your customers and they don't want to take the time to fight it - but I'm retired and have nothing but time, and I will not put up with it. First I have this post on Facebook - but it will not stop there. I intend to put on Priceline sights, and all reviews of your company unless you credit this charge. I saw complaints about your company, but stupidly booked anyway. FIX THIS.

Jessica Sparkle Morrisville, NC

What a TERRIBLE COMPANY! I am the Admin for a company in Raleigh, NC. I was asked to make a vehicle reservation through SIXT at the Orlando, FL airport location. When I made the reservation, I was required to pay to hold the reservation. I paid $912.62. When my co-worker landed in Orlando he went to pick up his rental car and was told that the driver of the vehicle must be the one paying for the car so he used his credit card and was charged $902.20. both charges went through and showed up on our credit card statements. I immediately was informed and asked to fix the discrepancy. I called on a Friday and was told by customer service that they would do an internal investigation and let me know the outcome. Umm, no. I nearly overpaid a thousand dollars and I'm not waiting around for the internal company so I requested a call back from a manager. They said I'd hear back before end of day. I never did hear back. On Monday I called again, to be told by the reservations team that SIXT is closed on President's Day. Tuesday (this morning) I again called and sat through their excruciating hold music. The representative tells me that the customer service department is the only one that can handle my call needs and they don't open until 9 AM. FINALLY I call at 9 AM and am told that I cannot do anything; they won't even talk to me because the reservation was put in HIS name and he's the driver. I got pretty pi$$ed off seeing as how my co-worker is on a business trip hence the need for a car rental. I asked to speak with a manager and was told I'd get the same response. I insisted on speaking with a manager. Instead of connecting me, I was placed on hold for 21 minutes before the guy got back on the line and said again that I couldn't do anything because the reservation is in my co-workers name. We put a stop charge on the card. Never had to do it before. I looked around online and can see that double charging is a regular thing that SIXT does to people. TERRIBLE COMPANY. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID

James Martin Sault Ste. Marie, MI

If I could give a zero, I would. Long story short, we got caught in the COVID dilemma like so many. My timeshare refunded money/gave credit, our airline did the same. But not sixt. They hit us with a cancellation fee, charged us sales tax on that fee (which I believe is illegal) and then gave me a voucher of my own money in the amount of $124. But even that was a lie; as I went to use it, it was only :$116. But in order to use it, you have to use the "pay later" platform. Of which has a surcharge of, get this, $114. So they have now taken us for $289 and provided NOTHING but hours on hold and a headache. RUN away from this company. I have sent emails and they don't even reply. This company is the most corrupt of any I have seen. Considering their rating on the BBB website is 1.07 on a scale with 1.00 being the lowest and 5.00 being the highest (I've never seen a rating that low in my life). It's probably just as well well we do our business elsewhere and cut our losses. The first thing they taught us in Econ 101 is that 85% of your business is repeat traffic. This company will not survive long. Especially with all the people we have read stories about being charged for "damage", extra drivers, and fees that were never explained but hidden in the fine print. If you do rent from them, make sure it is with a card you have a long history with (they are more likely to fight for a loyal customer) and take close up video of every inch of the car once you put it in the parking lot where you are returning it.

Aimee Zavala Greenville, NC

I entered my pick up location to be Denver airport the website made reservations at two different Denver locations. I only put my credit card in one time but I had two reservations according to the company. They do not have a working number for the company to get help for any issue that might arise. They did have a number posted on the door of location because doors were locked. Two different company employees told me lies about me making two reservations for same city 1 minute apart. When I did take the train to pick up my car for the only reservation number I had been given I had my daughter record the conversation. This made Ibedt the supervisor of the Denver train station location (Union) upset. She tried to tell me it was illegal. However all business are public places and CO is a one party consent state. I told her why I was doing it because they have no corporate number and no one has taken care of a mistake there website made within 7 days. I have all the information I need to refute this charge with my credit card company thanks to my recording. If you deal with this company be prepared for some extra work.

Tia Jones

Not a reliable company, very unprofessional, use enterprise, Avis or hertz brands for car rentals. This place is beyond disappointing.

Tim Bellefonte, PA

Lots of people on here saying bad things so I'm going to start with the good then explain the bad and why I only gave 3 stars. I rented and prepaid $265 ($38 a day after taxes etc.) in March for their Mercedes E Class or similar level of rental for 1 week in September (6 Months advance notice) for my vacation in Tampa Florida, their online process was easy, filled out all required info. declined all insurances at booking. When I arrived they did not have the level I booked so offered me an upgrade (more on this later) what I drove off the lot with was a BMW X5 4.0, with all the trimmings, the car was wonderful, it ran flawlessly for the whole week, it was clean, comfortable, and well looked after, there was some minor dings and things which were already listed on the paperwork as being present, we photographed that damage anyway to be safe. After a faultless wee riding around in a very nice car, The return process in Tampa was simple, pull into the return line, leave the keys inside the car, Person comes over, checks over for any new damage, level of gas in tank etc, Good to go. Swift and easy return no issue. So now the bad. what upset me. So after I gave them 6 months notice of me wanting a Mercedes E class or similar, they did not have one, the guy at the counter was very nice, friendly, polite, well spoken. "Very sorry sir we don't have that class on the lot right now so I can offer you an upgrade to a BMW X5, would that be ok?" "sure that would be fine, thankyou" So o.k. on we go through the process, he verifies my ID, asks if we want insurance etc etc regular check out process. Until almost the last part of the rental agreement process where he's going over the charges, and gets to a $30 a day upgrade fee.....I stop him right there and protest that, it's not my fault you didn't have my car, so Why are you trying to charge me almost the same again for the car, He tried to con me off saying it was standard for upgrade, I continued to protest, if i go to enterprise and they don't have my car, they upgrade for free. He calls his manager on the phone "they don't want to pay for the upgrade" he comes back to me, would $20 a day be o.k.?, I refuse again, he goes back to the manager as he's talking with the manager I look up the rental cost difference on their app, between the Merc and the BMW, it's a $13 a day difference to book it on their app right there. I show him that and as I'm tired and just want to get to my hotel to lay down for a bit I agree that $13 a day would be fine. He confirms with his manager, hangs up and rewrites the bill, shows me the $100 total extra charge, I sign and off we go. This is why they get 3 stars not 5 from me. If you don't have a car and offer an upgrade, that upgrade should be free. I could understand you arguing if I book the car the day before or something but I gave you 6 months notice of my rental so any failure to provide is your fault not mine. This Company was great except for that. I would rent again but I'll probably just buy from the counter when I get there instead of prepaying and being upset. It's a little more expensive to pay on the day but the few $ extra would be worth it to avoid the "Forced Up sell"

Helmut

Visiting UK from Aus, I needed to hire a car from Manchester to London. After reading reviews was put off Sixt at first. But Avis was going to cost about twice as much (rental car prices in UK are ridiculous compared to Aus) so thought I'd give it a go. The staff were well-presented, friendly and helpful. Without being asked, the guy walked me to my car and showed me the features. This has never happened to me with car rental before. Drop off and billing were fine.

Ben Proto

I write this because of overall experience. The company actually gave me a car that was more expensive and charged me extra. BUT when I returned they gave me a full refund. They were pleasant and helpful. I would definitely use again.

Allen Bronson Idaho Falls, ID

They were quick to check in and get a car. It was an easy process. The employee was friendly and helpful. It was harder and more time consuming to check the car back in. I had to wait 20 or 30 minutes just for the employee to get to me and then he took another 15 minutes or so to go through the process of checking the car back in. The check in was frustrating. The car performed well, it was clean and comfortable.

J Salt Lake City, UT

I’m always hesitant to use less established companies. When Sixt was relatively new, my wife and I took a chance and a booked rental with them at SeaTac. We were not disappointed. We got a luxury car for the price of a midsize through the more well known agencies. Great car with decent service. We were not disappointed!

Nachiket Shankar Boston, MA

Worst experience ever. Left my airpods in the rental car came back 30 minutes later and they said they don't have it. Dishonest rental car agency. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Donald Young Highland, CA

I prepaid for a rental car a month ago. Three week ago the airlines sent me a chance in air arrival time that would get me in past the meeting time. times. So i cancelled my fight with NO fee changed and booked with another airline. I had to go into another city to do so. Sixt didn't serve Austin Tx .So i called to cancel and they wouldn't refund me my pre-paid. I ask for the CEO contact information which they would no supply. This would have been my forth rental with them. I will NEVER rent with them again. They need to go back to Germany where they came from.

Andrew Harris Dayton, NJ

Took a car here and wasn't satisfied with the assistance they provided. The car had some damages before i took it but weirdly, for some reason i became the responsable one to pay for it's fixing job.

chris Atlanta, GA

It takes a lot for me to write a review but it's fully deserved in this case. I will not rent from Sixt again. Sixt notified me of a speeding ticket that I incurred through video monitoring in Austria. They assessed an administrative fee. I paid the ticket and the fee. Some months later Sixt contacted me about another ticket and again assessed an administrative fee. I responded and asked some questions about the ticket and fee, including why hadn't I received notice from the local authority like Sixt explained would happen. Sixt never responded to my questions and later in the year referred the matter to a collection agency. More administrative fees have been assessed. Most frustratingly, I called Sixt today - they did not respond to an email I sent - and they refused to discuss the matter, saying "We can't help you now." How's that for customer service? Oh, and I should mention here that they did not provide a car in the same class that I reserved and paid for.

Stacey Bell Phoenix, AZ

Wost company ever. I booked a trip to West Palm Beach Florida October 2020 to visit in December 2020. I used Orbitz to book flight, hotel and car. I thought it was all done. Then I needed to extend my trip by 2 days so I called each company to make the arrangements. Sixt told me that I would have to cancel my reservation, forfeit my payment, re book and repay. I should have known then how terrible they at that point, but continued on…. I initiated a dispute with Citi. However, I was able to talk to someone that transferred my existing reservation and add the additional days needed, so all was right in my world again, and I canceled the dispute. December comes, I pack, fly and arrive to West Palm Beach to visit my elderly parents – woohoo! I arrive at Sixt to pick up the car, and they told me that the reservation had been canceled since I didn’t pay my credit card bill. The manager shouted this across the room and would not come to the station where we were. The customer service woman, I believe her name began with a D, (sweet woman with a really nice smile) was trying her best to help me, but their policy states that she can do nothing. The manager kept insisting, loudly and from across the room, that I didn’t pay my credit card bill and I would have to rebook my reservation paying the current charges right now. I pulled up my Citi Visa app on my phone and showed them that they had been paid $260.49 on October 4. You would think that could have been the end of the issue. He stated that I could call the Sixt billing department and they would be able to help me or call my credit card company to dispute the charge. I assured him that I would do just that. The gal booked my reservation. I told her that the original reservation had an addition driver and was $260 for a RAV4. She informed me that they could not do that and I would have to pay $618.79 for the same rental…. $200 is a security deposit and would be returned to me if the car came back in the same shape as when I drove off the lot. She also said she would credit the additional driver, as a credit, but that never happened. Furious, frustrated, and more importantly, stranded, I took the vehicle and tried to enjoy my vacation and my family. When it was time to return the car, I called Sixt customer service to verify the location of the drop off. I did not trust the company, as I am sure you can imagine, and wanted to make sure I was going to be able to get to the airport. I was told that the drop off location was the airport, and if no one was at the desk, to just park the car somewhere in the lot and leave the keys on the desk. WHAT? Where do I park the car? What if someone takes the keys or tows the car? Convinced that this individual is new and doesn’t know what he is talking about, I called back. The second individual, Steven, told me that I would have to return it to the location where I picked the car up, on Bristol Street, and unfortunately there was no shuttle to the airport. WHAT? I rented from the airport to return to the airport because how else would I get to the airport? I asked Steven how I was supposed to get from the drop off location to the airport, he said he didn’t know, maybe call a cab. This is not a very safe area at 5am for a woman to be standing around outside waiting for a cab. Shocked, I had my elderly father drive me to the location that afternoon so I could return the car, and I arranged for an Uber driver to take me to the airport at 5am the next morning. Furious at this company for the lack of professionalism, serious lack of customer service, deceit and insane policies, I just wanted to be done with them. The same gal was working when I checked the car in. She informed me that there was a shuttle that gets to the location about 6 am, so it may have been there at 5. Well, I was so over this company by this point. I certainly was not leaving, hoping there was shuttle the next day, after bothering my father to drive the 90 minute round trip highway adventure on I95 at rush hour. Can you imagine if I had waited to drop the car off at 5am and HOPED that they had a shuttle? How would I get to the airport if they didn’t? and if no one was there, since they don’t open till 6, how would I have returned the car? This is the most discombobulated, unprofessional company I have ever seen. She informed me again that the charge would most likely be $418 since the $200 was their protection, and as long as I returned the car in perfect condition with a full tank of gas, I would only be charged $418. I reminded her that I had already paid $260. back in October and would be disputing this full charge. She apologized for the entire event, said she would do the same thing, and wished me luck. I should probably also ask for my Uber driver amount too but don't want to have any more dealings with this company.

Rowena Cavanaugh Carlsbad, CA

RIP OFF! DO NOT RENT FROM SIXT!!!!! They would not refund my dad's card after they said they would refund his card and that it would only take up to 5 days. My dad prepaid for my rental to pick up in Houston... since my dad was not present, they would not let me take the rental car. I had a friend pick me up at the airport after I could not rent after it was already pre-paid. I called for 2 weeks and got the run around on the refund. No refund 2 weeks later... they don't plan to refund the money either after they already told me a refund had been issued but it never was... then all of a sudden I had to make a cancellation... but they were going to charge $166 for the cancellation... what!? RIP OFF!!! Don't use this fraudulent company!