Sixt Rent A Car Logo

Sixt Rent A Car

7.5

SIXT started out with three locations and grew into an international company with locations throughout the United States. Currently, the company is present in 105 countries across the globe with over 2,000 branch locations. SIXT purchases more than 200,000 vehicles annually and owns the world's largest fleet of premium German cars.

The Good

• Vehicle Types
  • Price Range
  • Toll Prepay Option
  • Online Check-In

Vehicle Types

The SIXT vehicle fleet hosts models from German favorites like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi. Vehicle types include:

• Convertibles
  • Luxury cars
  • Minivans
  • SUVs
  • Passenger vans

Price Range

SIXT offers vehicles ranging in average prices in the car rental industry. While the prices are not necessarily low, SIXT's car selection is of a higher quality than many economy budget car rentals. The car make and models are newer and more modern so if that is important to you then the average cost is more than worth paying. Regardless of the price listed for a car, though, SIXT boasts a Best Price Guarantee.

Toll Prepay Option

A very convenient feature is the ability to order toll passes through the company's website. Having a toll pass makes your commute easier when you travel. This comes as part of the online check-in.

Online Check-In

You can check in your car from SIXT's website instead of the rental counter using one of two options: the online check-in portal via the website or the on-site terminal. After you sign in and check in with your reservation number, you go to SIXT's express counter and swap your signature for the car keys. For the terminal option, follow these steps:

1. Insert your Sixt Express Card or credit card into the terminal.
  2. The terminal detects your card automatically and shows you the reservation. You also have the option of booking extras at this point, such as winter tires.
  3. Select your car out of three vehicle options.
  4. Confirm the booking details and print your rental agreement.
  5. Open the safe and take the vehicle keys.

This makes checking in easy and fast and eliminates the issue of long lines that you get with other car rental companies.

The Bad

• Limited U.S. Availability
  • No Instant Return
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

Limited U.S. Availability

SIXT has rental car locations in 15 states, so your options are limited in the United States. Sixt has rental counters at some major airports throughout North America, but not as many as some competitors. For instance, most rental companies have counters at JFK, LaGuardia, or Newark airports in the New York City area and SIXT does not. On the plus side, SIXT is worldwide, so it is likely to cover your international travel needs.

No Instant Return

SIXT lacks an instant return option where you can leave the car with the keys inside. You must return the vehicle to a rental office (or other identified location) on the date and time specified in your rental agreement.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

SIXT does not offer discounts for fueling your vehicle on-site. If a customer returns the car low on gas, SIXT charges a $50 fee.

The Bottom Line

If you're itching to try out a new or luxury car, look no further than SIXT. With quick check-in, no hidden costs, and free cancellation, SIXT is all about convenience. However, the company is not readily available throughout North America, especially in smaller states and cities.

1.3

Yandasmom Yandasmom Chicago, IL

I wish l could give them -100 stars because one star is too good for them. I will never rent a vehicle with Sixt ever!!! I had car trouble on my way to Atlanta, in one of their vehicles. The vehicle was shaking, so we were driving at low speeds because we did not feel safe. I call Sixt Indianapolis Airport where l had rented the car and Rochelle said she could not help me and l needed to call customer service. Customer service said that was fine l could go and exchange a vehicle at another Sixt once l got to Atlanta. Easy right, NO, Sixt Indianapolis then called me threatening to charge me a drop off fee of $900 if l did not return the car to Indianapolis. I told them the customer service they had told me to call was glad to change the vehicle and ensure our safety. Sheila/Alice/Stella whatever her name was then told me that Sixt is franchised meaning they operate as individual companies versus a national company. Therefore that car was owned by the Indianapolis Airport Sixt and needed to return there because they would have to find someone to go to Atlanta to pick it up. I asked her why then l was told to call customer service and that so l was required to drive an unsafe car back to Indy, she said yes. She added her boss had drove the car before and it was fine, okay? So what does that have to do with our current problem? IF SIXT IS NOT ONE COMPANY AND THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT FRANCHISES THEN WHY NOT HAVE DIFFERENT NAMES. This was my first time renting with Sixt and DEFINATELY!!! THE LAST. They taught me a hard lesson JUST STICK TO REPUTABLE car rental places like Budget, Avis, National, Hertz, Enterprise that have been in business forever, they have realized that customer service is important to grow a business a concept Sixt has obviously not mastered. I guess that explains why when l picked up the car, Sixt counter was empty with one or two people yet they were long lines by Avis and Budget. I guess those people learnt a lesson as well before me!!! AND I REPEAT NEVER!!! AGAIN!!! And did l mention they called me twice a day before my rental to find out if l was coming to pick up my PREPAID car!!! Ridiculous...

Paulo Santos Delray Beach, FL

Absolutely horrible experience with SIXT. First off upon arrival: I prepaid my rent, when claiming the car, they said they needed the card used because they would have to refund and then charge again. I did not have the card with my because my mom booked for me. IT WAS PREPAID AFTER ALL. The card I had with me was not enough to cover the "new charge" with deposit. I was stuck in the airport for more than 2 hours. My mom had to pick me up from Providence to Boston. Total time in the airport, almost 4 hours. When my mom arrived, SIXT did not even honor the price and charged more. Returning the car: when I full tanked the car, the range showed hundreds of miles more than I got it. Meaning they even gave me the car not fully fueled. On top of that, SIXT charged me for not fueling the to the original "range". So I am penalized for putting more gas? They charged extra. Next they claimed damages to the tires (WTH?) and charged extra again. My experience with SIXT was horrible. They are absolutely dishonest with their prices and their rental system. And they dont even have a hotline to complain. If you look up the reviews from SIXT, it speaks for itself. I gave it a shot and I absolutely regret it. I hope they will reverse the almost 100 dollars extra they charged me. But I doubt it. I have rented with many companies, never have I had this experience until with SIXT. It seems they would rather rip off a customer one time than have them as a repeat customer.

Nachiket Shankar Boston, MA

Worst experience ever. Left my airpods in the rental car came back 30 minutes later and they said they don't have it. Dishonest rental car agency. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Robert Hoffman Miami, FL

Said that a volvo station wagon was an upgrade from Mercedes or similar reserved. Priceline said wouldnt be charged til pick up. Was charged on reservation by Sixt. When canceled and asked about refund, they said priceline would make that decision. Called priceline and told me I was not supposed to be charged til I picked up reservation. Bait and switch bad customer service. When pick up car from another company their cars were next to it in airport garage. Saw an awful lot of smaller Mercedes cars, bmw. Dont use this company. Currently disputing charge with credit card company!

Nicole C Trenton, NJ

If I could give a negative review I would. They ripped us off by renting out and "selling off" all cars in our price range. Forced us to upgrade and CHARGED us for it. They also tried to hit us with a B.S. $250 "cleaning fee" for smoking when we returned it. The car smelled like weed when we picked it up, and the whole week - we had no choice but to keep it because they were already short on cars. They did issue a refund when we complained, but would not refund the mandatory upgrade we were forced to take. It's not our fault that you sold away half of your fleet due to covid, and rented out the car class we reserved. The reservation was made 7 months in advance.

Eileen Pierson Argyle, TX

HORRIBLE - They rip you off - do not rent from them. Here is my story Sixt - I already contacted your "Customer Service", and their response was just ridiculous. Here are the facts. I rented via Priceline August 2020 and was charged immediately $313.09, which included taxes for a mid size car. When I arrived at Orlando International the lone girl at the booth said "I need your credit card". I know that's a normal practice to cover tolls, etc. even though I had my Sunpass with me. She proceeded to say "this is not the card you booked with". I replied yes I know but my chip is not working and I've yet to receive a new credit card, so I have to use my VISA - because even the swipe will not work". She said "well we don't normally accept this but I'll do it anyway." Really? That was just stupid also. Then she proceeded to ask the usual questions, and one was "do you want additional insurance, damage waiver etc." I said NO - I'm covered by my insurance company and I never take it. Apparently she added it anyway. Did I sign the document without reading every line - YES - because stupidly I assumed, as I have done for years in renting cars, that she did not go ahead and charge me anyway - and it was late at night. My husband was standing with me and verified we did not want the damage insurance, etc. LOOK AT THE TAPE WHICH YOUR EMPLOYEES SAID YOU HAVE ON EVERY TRANSACTION. When I got to the condo I looked at the receipt and was like WHAT??? She went and charged us and on top of that added taxes. We waited until we returned the car and talked to attendant to get this off our card. She said she cannot do it but would put in a complaint ticket about it. Of course she never did. If you look at the bill itself it's very confusing as well. First it says total $562.00, then under Authorization on 1/28/21 - it says $478.91. You charged me an additional $248.91 on my credit card. I submitted to my VISA CHASE to protest the charge. This is really a shame that I imagine you play on all your customers and they don't want to take the time to fight it - but I'm retired and have nothing but time, and I will not put up with it. First I have this post on Facebook - but it will not stop there. I intend to put on Priceline sights, and all reviews of your company unless you credit this charge. I saw complaints about your company, but stupidly booked anyway. FIX THIS.

Michael Jaffe Delray Beach, FL

Rented a Toyota Yaris at Ben-Gurion Airport (TLV) in Tel Aviv for two weeks, arranged through Expedia. The handover was smooth and quick, even during prime tourist season. The staff was extremely friendly and efficient. The vehicle had 1400 km on it, so it was practically new and in pristine condition. No issues with the car. Car return was also quick, very friendly staff. A year earlier, I had used SixT at Reykjavik, and the pickup experience was not nearly as good. There seem to be a number of factors influencing the experience, but, for the most part, SixT seems to be a good discount option.

Maureen E. Serge

I was so surprised to see the negative reviews for Sixt. I have been renting cars from Sixt for approximately 2 years and have never had a problem, and the customer service was fantastic. Besides their prices being the best in town, I always receive fast courtesy service from the counter people. Granted, I only rent when I am in Las Vegas, but I am there 3 or 4 times a year and use Sixt all the time. I tried the rest of the car rentals and they are expensive and never had the car that I originally reserved. BRAVO to Sixt. To all the new customers, don't be swayed by someone else's negativity.

Donald Young Highland, CA

I prepaid for a rental car a month ago. Three week ago the airlines sent me a chance in air arrival time that would get me in past the meeting time. times. So i cancelled my fight with NO fee changed and booked with another airline. I had to go into another city to do so. Sixt didn't serve Austin Tx .So i called to cancel and they wouldn't refund me my pre-paid. I ask for the CEO contact information which they would no supply. This would have been my forth rental with them. I will NEVER rent with them again. They need to go back to Germany where they came from.

Jessica Sparkle Morrisville, NC

What a TERRIBLE COMPANY! I am the Admin for a company in Raleigh, NC. I was asked to make a vehicle reservation through SIXT at the Orlando, FL airport location. When I made the reservation, I was required to pay to hold the reservation. I paid $912.62. When my co-worker landed in Orlando he went to pick up his rental car and was told that the driver of the vehicle must be the one paying for the car so he used his credit card and was charged $902.20. both charges went through and showed up on our credit card statements. I immediately was informed and asked to fix the discrepancy. I called on a Friday and was told by customer service that they would do an internal investigation and let me know the outcome. Umm, no. I nearly overpaid a thousand dollars and I'm not waiting around for the internal company so I requested a call back from a manager. They said I'd hear back before end of day. I never did hear back. On Monday I called again, to be told by the reservations team that SIXT is closed on President's Day. Tuesday (this morning) I again called and sat through their excruciating hold music. The representative tells me that the customer service department is the only one that can handle my call needs and they don't open until 9 AM. FINALLY I call at 9 AM and am told that I cannot do anything; they won't even talk to me because the reservation was put in HIS name and he's the driver. I got pretty pi$$ed off seeing as how my co-worker is on a business trip hence the need for a car rental. I asked to speak with a manager and was told I'd get the same response. I insisted on speaking with a manager. Instead of connecting me, I was placed on hold for 21 minutes before the guy got back on the line and said again that I couldn't do anything because the reservation is in my co-workers name. We put a stop charge on the card. Never had to do it before. I looked around online and can see that double charging is a regular thing that SIXT does to people. TERRIBLE COMPANY. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID

James Martin Sault Ste. Marie, MI

If I could give a zero, I would. Long story short, we got caught in the COVID dilemma like so many. My timeshare refunded money/gave credit, our airline did the same. But not sixt. They hit us with a cancellation fee, charged us sales tax on that fee (which I believe is illegal) and then gave me a voucher of my own money in the amount of $124. But even that was a lie; as I went to use it, it was only :$116. But in order to use it, you have to use the "pay later" platform. Of which has a surcharge of, get this, $114. So they have now taken us for $289 and provided NOTHING but hours on hold and a headache. RUN away from this company. I have sent emails and they don't even reply. This company is the most corrupt of any I have seen. Considering their rating on the BBB website is 1.07 on a scale with 1.00 being the lowest and 5.00 being the highest (I've never seen a rating that low in my life). It's probably just as well well we do our business elsewhere and cut our losses. The first thing they taught us in Econ 101 is that 85% of your business is repeat traffic. This company will not survive long. Especially with all the people we have read stories about being charged for "damage", extra drivers, and fees that were never explained but hidden in the fine print. If you do rent from them, make sure it is with a card you have a long history with (they are more likely to fight for a loyal customer) and take close up video of every inch of the car once you put it in the parking lot where you are returning it.

chris Atlanta, GA

It takes a lot for me to write a review but it's fully deserved in this case. I will not rent from Sixt again. Sixt notified me of a speeding ticket that I incurred through video monitoring in Austria. They assessed an administrative fee. I paid the ticket and the fee. Some months later Sixt contacted me about another ticket and again assessed an administrative fee. I responded and asked some questions about the ticket and fee, including why hadn't I received notice from the local authority like Sixt explained would happen. Sixt never responded to my questions and later in the year referred the matter to a collection agency. More administrative fees have been assessed. Most frustratingly, I called Sixt today - they did not respond to an email I sent - and they refused to discuss the matter, saying "We can't help you now." How's that for customer service? Oh, and I should mention here that they did not provide a car in the same class that I reserved and paid for.

Aimee Zavala Greenville, NC

I entered my pick up location to be Denver airport the website made reservations at two different Denver locations. I only put my credit card in one time but I had two reservations according to the company. They do not have a working number for the company to get help for any issue that might arise. They did have a number posted on the door of location because doors were locked. Two different company employees told me lies about me making two reservations for same city 1 minute apart. When I did take the train to pick up my car for the only reservation number I had been given I had my daughter record the conversation. This made Ibedt the supervisor of the Denver train station location (Union) upset. She tried to tell me it was illegal. However all business are public places and CO is a one party consent state. I told her why I was doing it because they have no corporate number and no one has taken care of a mistake there website made within 7 days. I have all the information I need to refute this charge with my credit card company thanks to my recording. If you deal with this company be prepared for some extra work.

J Salt Lake City, UT

I’m always hesitant to use less established companies. When Sixt was relatively new, my wife and I took a chance and a booked rental with them at SeaTac. We were not disappointed. We got a luxury car for the price of a midsize through the more well known agencies. Great car with decent service. We were not disappointed!

Helen Casserly Rochester, NY

Vikram, Khalid & Nick at (BHX) Birmingham Airport Sixt rental car provided me with EXCEPTIONAL service. My family was in crisis & my original contract with the Heathrow Airport office was misinterpreted & no longer served my needs. I arrived in an extremely distressed state, but was treated with so much empathy & compassion. They made me feel that no problem was insurmountable. I applaud Vikram, Khalid & Nick, they have ensured my loyalty to Sixt. ~ Helen Casserly ~

Tommie L Dallas, GA

They have nice new cars and the staff is friendly and professional. It’s the least stressful rental or travel arrangement I have ever had to deal with. Actually with the miles I drive for work me renting a car from them is cheaper then buying a new one and paying a big insurance bill and maintenance. Brittany B has been especially efficient and always brought me a fresh new car out within minutes. She is definitely is off the charts when it comes to customer service.

Robert Walker Boerne, TX

I booked a car rental with Sixt at the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport in advance of a vacation to Scottsdale. Upon arrival at the airport we realized we had too many bags (bulky golf clubs) to easily access the rental shuttle and thus I left my wife with most bags at the terminal while I took golf clubs and took the shuttle to the rental center and then drove back to pick up my wife. Unfortunately, I left the copy of my rental agreement in a bag with my wife but the agent was able to pull it up on his computer. I remembered ballpark numbers regarding the rental with the base price of $315 and taxes and fees taking the total up to just over $450. The car I had reserved was a Mercedes Gla or equivalent. While the agent did not specifically say there were none of that category available, he asked what type car I wanted. I said I didn't have a specific vehicle in mind and to be honest could not remember exactly what Mercedes model was listed and shown on my reservation. He turned the computer monitor around for me to see and first pulled up a Volvo station wagon to which I showed no interest. He then pulled up a Mercedes E300 and asked if that was ok and I said yes, it would. He did not make it clear it would be an upgrade and thus more expensive. He mentioned I had booked a base rate of $315 (plus change) and then said he could give me a first time renter's discount and AAA discount which yielded a rate of $216 plus tax and fees. It was not explained to me this was in addition to the amount of my reservation. The contract I eventually got a copy of did list it as an upgrade choice with the new charges as additional charges. However, there was nothing provided in print or shown to me on a monitor that included that information. All I saw on the little electronic pad that I signed on was a line for my signature. Now, I know it is my responsibility to be aware of what I am signing whether the electronic pad on which I am signing is displaying all the details or not. I did not know I could scroll back on the pad to see all the other information but I don't know that I would have even had I known, based on what I thought I understood from the way presented by the agent. Perhaps in the back of my mind I was rushed to get back and pick up my wife and bags and was not as attentive as I should have been. I do not think the agent was trying to take advantage of me or screw me. He was a very nice man and I would gladly deal with him again. Even if he never mentioned everything was additional charges, I should have inquired and read in detail what I was signing. Once I realized the total charges was almost $750 instead of just over $450, I was very disappointed. I contacted Sixt customer service and presented the information I have detailed here and after a brief investigation on their end got back to me. They did not want to have a very unhappy first time customer and made a one time exception as a good will gesture and credited me the additional charges. When I first made my reservation online, I was impressed with Sixt competitive rates although they deal with a higher class vehicles. I will definitely rent with them again, but I will also do my due diligence to make sure I fully understand every aspect of the rental and the associated costs. I highly recommend Sixt due to their excellent customer service, and their higher class vehicles at reasonable rates.

Brook Elizabethtown, KY

Car was fine rental was easy but they billed us twice. Customer service is terrible. Unable to contact people, customer service phone numbers do not work and if you finally get to someone they say their lines are down and must resolve via website. Horrible customer service.

Stacey Bell Phoenix, AZ

Wost company ever. I booked a trip to West Palm Beach Florida October 2020 to visit in December 2020. I used Orbitz to book flight, hotel and car. I thought it was all done. Then I needed to extend my trip by 2 days so I called each company to make the arrangements. Sixt told me that I would have to cancel my reservation, forfeit my payment, re book and repay. I should have known then how terrible they at that point, but continued on…. I initiated a dispute with Citi. However, I was able to talk to someone that transferred my existing reservation and add the additional days needed, so all was right in my world again, and I canceled the dispute. December comes, I pack, fly and arrive to West Palm Beach to visit my elderly parents – woohoo! I arrive at Sixt to pick up the car, and they told me that the reservation had been canceled since I didn’t pay my credit card bill. The manager shouted this across the room and would not come to the station where we were. The customer service woman, I believe her name began with a D, (sweet woman with a really nice smile) was trying her best to help me, but their policy states that she can do nothing. The manager kept insisting, loudly and from across the room, that I didn’t pay my credit card bill and I would have to rebook my reservation paying the current charges right now. I pulled up my Citi Visa app on my phone and showed them that they had been paid $260.49 on October 4. You would think that could have been the end of the issue. He stated that I could call the Sixt billing department and they would be able to help me or call my credit card company to dispute the charge. I assured him that I would do just that. The gal booked my reservation. I told her that the original reservation had an addition driver and was $260 for a RAV4. She informed me that they could not do that and I would have to pay $618.79 for the same rental…. $200 is a security deposit and would be returned to me if the car came back in the same shape as when I drove off the lot. She also said she would credit the additional driver, as a credit, but that never happened. Furious, frustrated, and more importantly, stranded, I took the vehicle and tried to enjoy my vacation and my family. When it was time to return the car, I called Sixt customer service to verify the location of the drop off. I did not trust the company, as I am sure you can imagine, and wanted to make sure I was going to be able to get to the airport. I was told that the drop off location was the airport, and if no one was at the desk, to just park the car somewhere in the lot and leave the keys on the desk. WHAT? Where do I park the car? What if someone takes the keys or tows the car? Convinced that this individual is new and doesn’t know what he is talking about, I called back. The second individual, Steven, told me that I would have to return it to the location where I picked the car up, on Bristol Street, and unfortunately there was no shuttle to the airport. WHAT? I rented from the airport to return to the airport because how else would I get to the airport? I asked Steven how I was supposed to get from the drop off location to the airport, he said he didn’t know, maybe call a cab. This is not a very safe area at 5am for a woman to be standing around outside waiting for a cab. Shocked, I had my elderly father drive me to the location that afternoon so I could return the car, and I arranged for an Uber driver to take me to the airport at 5am the next morning. Furious at this company for the lack of professionalism, serious lack of customer service, deceit and insane policies, I just wanted to be done with them. The same gal was working when I checked the car in. She informed me that there was a shuttle that gets to the location about 6 am, so it may have been there at 5. Well, I was so over this company by this point. I certainly was not leaving, hoping there was shuttle the next day, after bothering my father to drive the 90 minute round trip highway adventure on I95 at rush hour. Can you imagine if I had waited to drop the car off at 5am and HOPED that they had a shuttle? How would I get to the airport if they didn’t? and if no one was there, since they don’t open till 6, how would I have returned the car? This is the most discombobulated, unprofessional company I have ever seen. She informed me again that the charge would most likely be $418 since the $200 was their protection, and as long as I returned the car in perfect condition with a full tank of gas, I would only be charged $418. I reminded her that I had already paid $260. back in October and would be disputing this full charge. She apologized for the entire event, said she would do the same thing, and wished me luck. I should probably also ask for my Uber driver amount too but don't want to have any more dealings with this company.

Rowena Cavanaugh Carlsbad, CA

RIP OFF! DO NOT RENT FROM SIXT!!!!! They would not refund my dad's card after they said they would refund his card and that it would only take up to 5 days. My dad prepaid for my rental to pick up in Houston... since my dad was not present, they would not let me take the rental car. I had a friend pick me up at the airport after I could not rent after it was already pre-paid. I called for 2 weeks and got the run around on the refund. No refund 2 weeks later... they don't plan to refund the money either after they already told me a refund had been issued but it never was... then all of a sudden I had to make a cancellation... but they were going to charge $166 for the cancellation... what!? RIP OFF!!! Don't use this fraudulent company!

John Wright Cape Coral, FL

My experience from the beginning to the end was less than professional. From the beginning when I was told that pre-paying for the car was the best option for us. What they failed to tell us was that the pre-paid option would not allow us to cancel for any reason. They charge our account immediately which I found odd. With the COVID out break, and Government lock down in Minnesota we were forced to cancel our Thanksgiving plans to fly from Florida to Minnesota. We canceled our flight with no charge, we canceled our Rover (dog sitter) with no charge, but when it came to Sixt Rental for the car....we were told no way. That had to charge us for a 3 day rental, at $173.00. Canceling our plans was upsetting enough, and then to get kicked the teeth for a service we did not use, when everyone else we booked with were professional and accommodating. Well this company has lost my business and the business of everyone else I know. If your reading this review prior to booking , please be aware. I would suggest going to Hertz, or Enterprise as they know how to treat their customers with professionalism and dignity.

Jeremy Patton Lakeland, FL

Absolute worst experience I have ever had trying to rent a car. After an hour and a half wait in the heat at the airport with 6 kids they finally got a hurtle for us but we had to fight for seats. After arriving to pick up a vehicle at their office another 2 hour wait just to be denied a rental after they demanded an additional $300 on top of the full rental price I already paid plus an additional $500 deposit. After arguing they cancelled our reservation and refused then to rent us a vehicle and left a family of 8 in a foreign country with no transportation in an awful neighborhood. Buyer beware, this place is a scam and if you call them out for their scamming they will make you pay for it by refusing the pre paid rental and not crediting you back your money. This was a NIGHTMARE!!

Jayesh Patel Chippenham, WIL

Sixt is ripoff, be aware. They charge for everything. here is my story I rented a car out from 8am til 9pm the office closes at 6pm but reception never told me about it and did not give any information where i supposed to leave the car upon return and where to drop the car key when return. i was there well before time, i did get instruction about where to leave car but no info about keys. i spent 10-15 mins to find, wasted about an hour on phone to get some help but no luck. so took the car home, i tried calling their phone number finally a lady picked up and after 30 mins of chat she agreed with me to keep the car. guess, what they charged me £10+VAT even though the lady agreed with me. they wanted proof that i was there in car park before time. seriously!! this is not finish here, i took the car in London city and forgot to pay congestion charge, which is fine i have to pay penaly, Sixt charged me £40 administration fee to just divert the penalty to me. i could not believe their outrageous charging scandal. i will never ever hire a car from Sixt. NO NO No. one last thing, there is no phone number to call if you get invoice for any extra charge or penalty. trust me. I suggest you to not hire from Sixt if you don't want to have any trouble.

Kristen Brusco Waukesha, WI

I will never rent from this company again in my life. If I could give a 0 I would! Dulles Airport. Horrible customer service, taking advantage of people. Not fully explaining the fees and saying its only $13 more but failing to say $13 a day. Promising discounts and us not receiving them. Admitting their fault and STILL not giving the discount to the customer that they were promised. Making people upgrade to a different car than what they reserved and ripping them off saying there is no other car they can rent to you. Shuttle drivers not even waiting until the person is sitting down to drive off taking off fast making customers almost fall. Never again. Very disappointed. Do not rent from here, there are plenty of other car rental places, go with someone else. They will totally take advantage of you and promise you discounts that they will not give. I work in customer service and this was the worst I have ever dealt with. I was only asking for what the front desk lady, Mona, promised me nothing more and I did not get what was promised to me. And even when I tried to go in to talk to someone after dropping off the car they were pushing me to go into the shuttle and did not want me going into the office to speak to someone. I wish I can warn everyone literally do not rent from here!

Lev Vayner Woodland Hills, CA

Over the past decade, I've rented vehicles over 100 times. About 6 or 7 years ago SIXT came to the states, and after the first really pleasant experience, I rented again. It was consecutive good service, good cars, and great prices. Since then SIXT has significantly raised their prices to the point they are no longer competitive. But still I seek them out, and chose them as the rental company for our latest trip. Arriving at the counter (Los Angeles) felt like I walked into a black market back alley in Istanbul. I wasn't sure if they just wanted to give me a lower class car (booked full size SUV, offered a crossover), or make me pay extra for the car offered at the rate I booked, or maybe try to take me into a backroom somewhere to take my kidney. I have had two consecutive negative experiences with SIXT mirroring a failing company stuck in a downward spiral. I would urge anyone considering SIXT to run, not walk, to another rental company.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

I have only found Sixt to be in one of the airport that I travel to. I use them when they have the best deal on car rental sites. The cars are good quality and in good shape. I have rented Cadillac's from them. It helped me realize that I would never want to own a Cadillac ATS, or a convertible.

Tim Bellefonte, PA

Lots of people on here saying bad things so I'm going to start with the good then explain the bad and why I only gave 3 stars. I rented and prepaid $265 ($38 a day after taxes etc.) in March for their Mercedes E Class or similar level of rental for 1 week in September (6 Months advance notice) for my vacation in Tampa Florida, their online process was easy, filled out all required info. declined all insurances at booking. When I arrived they did not have the level I booked so offered me an upgrade (more on this later) what I drove off the lot with was a BMW X5 4.0, with all the trimmings, the car was wonderful, it ran flawlessly for the whole week, it was clean, comfortable, and well looked after, there was some minor dings and things which were already listed on the paperwork as being present, we photographed that damage anyway to be safe. After a faultless wee riding around in a very nice car, The return process in Tampa was simple, pull into the return line, leave the keys inside the car, Person comes over, checks over for any new damage, level of gas in tank etc, Good to go. Swift and easy return no issue. So now the bad. what upset me. So after I gave them 6 months notice of me wanting a Mercedes E class or similar, they did not have one, the guy at the counter was very nice, friendly, polite, well spoken. "Very sorry sir we don't have that class on the lot right now so I can offer you an upgrade to a BMW X5, would that be ok?" "sure that would be fine, thankyou" So o.k. on we go through the process, he verifies my ID, asks if we want insurance etc etc regular check out process. Until almost the last part of the rental agreement process where he's going over the charges, and gets to a $30 a day upgrade fee.....I stop him right there and protest that, it's not my fault you didn't have my car, so Why are you trying to charge me almost the same again for the car, He tried to con me off saying it was standard for upgrade, I continued to protest, if i go to enterprise and they don't have my car, they upgrade for free. He calls his manager on the phone "they don't want to pay for the upgrade" he comes back to me, would $20 a day be o.k.?, I refuse again, he goes back to the manager as he's talking with the manager I look up the rental cost difference on their app, between the Merc and the BMW, it's a $13 a day difference to book it on their app right there. I show him that and as I'm tired and just want to get to my hotel to lay down for a bit I agree that $13 a day would be fine. He confirms with his manager, hangs up and rewrites the bill, shows me the $100 total extra charge, I sign and off we go. This is why they get 3 stars not 5 from me. If you don't have a car and offer an upgrade, that upgrade should be free. I could understand you arguing if I book the car the day before or something but I gave you 6 months notice of my rental so any failure to provide is your fault not mine. This Company was great except for that. I would rent again but I'll probably just buy from the counter when I get there instead of prepaying and being upset. It's a little more expensive to pay on the day but the few $ extra would be worth it to avoid the "Forced Up sell"

Helmut

Visiting UK from Aus, I needed to hire a car from Manchester to London. After reading reviews was put off Sixt at first. But Avis was going to cost about twice as much (rental car prices in UK are ridiculous compared to Aus) so thought I'd give it a go. The staff were well-presented, friendly and helpful. Without being asked, the guy walked me to my car and showed me the features. This has never happened to me with car rental before. Drop off and billing were fine.

Ben Proto

I write this because of overall experience. The company actually gave me a car that was more expensive and charged me extra. BUT when I returned they gave me a full refund. They were pleasant and helpful. I would definitely use again.

Allen Bronson Idaho Falls, ID

They were quick to check in and get a car. It was an easy process. The employee was friendly and helpful. It was harder and more time consuming to check the car back in. I had to wait 20 or 30 minutes just for the employee to get to me and then he took another 15 minutes or so to go through the process of checking the car back in. The check in was frustrating. The car performed well, it was clean and comfortable.

Frank Neal Dayton, OH

Absolutely the worst experience we’ve ever had with a company. We were charged by sixt for two rental cars and only rented one. We’ve been trying to get our refund back for a car we did not rent for over a month with no success. We have had the run around from every single person we talk to. Would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Justin Simmons Waterdown, ON

This company is the worst rental company I have ever dealt with. With the whole pandemic situation going on in the world they are refusing to refund money even though the areas of the world we are travelling to are in lockdown. Don't waste your money with these people they are unprofessional and I do not know how to take care of their client base they have had for years.

Hahn Los Angeles, CA

The customer service at Sixt Rental is non existent beyond the kiosk. All if the vehicles have preexisting damageS which they are aware of but dont repair. Tried to communicate with them through email and received an unpleasant unprofessional response 30 days later. They rent cars thats it! No customer service, care ir concern beyond the basic rental. Rude as well. And it tajes approximately 30 days to receive a response. The wait time on the phone is totally unacceptable. The corporate boobs are a waste of time and energy. There is NO customer service.

Todd Manes Denver, CO

Did not have the type of car I reserved. Billed me for a vehicle I was never in. Billed me for days I did NOT have the car. Nearly impossible to get ahold of customer service (which is a joke anyway - Sixt can't spell customer service). Billing department not open on weekends. Stay far away from Sixt. I will have a huge smile on my face the day I hear of them declaring bankruptcy.

N sro West Valley City, UT

Sixt is morally disgusting! I and my family tested positive for Covid 19 so I had to cancel a trip to Hawaii (actually postpone). American Airlines waved all fees to cancel, Hotels.com canceled without fees and Priceline was easy to work with... Guess who the problem is, Sixt rent cars... They infomed me that they be holding strictly to their 3 day charge cancelation policy. Sure they offered to allow me to move my reservation if I pick my next reservation dates before my trip was to take place. Guess what, I have larger things to worry about, my safety and my employment... I get you're real sad I won't be renting a car from you but Hawaii isn't even committed to opening for sure on time for my trip.

Laura Heilman ,

If I could give SIXT negative stars I would. They have horrible customer service. I rented a van for a trip I needed to take and wanted the specific minivan I selected, but received something different then what I wanted and it was dirty. Having a dirty vehicle amid the COVID-19 pandemic is disgusting. I tried calling customer service and never got any one on the phone. I told the rental agent at the airport about my planned trip and never once told me that in the fine print you get charged 50cents for mileage if you go into other states. After my trip I got smacked with a huge charge for mileage and might as well purchased a used car instead. I only received email communication from them and was never able to speak with anyone over the phone about all of my issues. I will never rent from them again and will continue to share my horrible experience with this company and hope they lose more business. I rent a lot of cars and have never experienced the extra charges and non-existing customer service.

Denise Bartlett Pacifica, CA

I don’t have a facebook page. Thus, I’m writing this on my nieces page with her permission. I rented a car in Las Vegas 3/9-13/2020. I’m from LV and came home to visit family and friends. The car was driven only to visit family and friends and back to hotel. Few weeks after trip I received an email and invoice from Sixt to the tune of $768.82. Oh, that’s for a replacement hub cap and $100 administration fee. No pictures of hub cap before and after proofing the dings in happened when I rented it. Just a drawing of a car and “X” showing damage. Highly recommend NOT EVER renting a car from Sixt not unless you really want to be taken for an expensive ride!!!!!!!!!

john b Niagara Falls, NY

As far as the location of the SIXT office, staff, service and the type of vehicle I received, I was pleased. The staff was knowledgable and rather friendly. The office was attached to the Panorama Hotel in Zagreb, Croatia which provided convenience. What I have an issue with is how I was billed. I reserved a vehicle online and prepaid the vehicle. When it came time to return the vehicle, I noticed a rental days charge and extra days. I added a collision damage waiver, minimum excess and roadside protection which was added. The thing is I felt I was charged twice for the rental car. The prepaid cost (338.68€) and the daily cost (182.94€). Another rip-off was the prepaid fuel at 63.25€. I did not have to leave a full tank but it does not cost 63.25€ to fill a Jeep Compass. With all the taxes added, the vehicle went from $40 CDN a day to $120 a day CDN. Never again will I rent from SIXT.

laura o Sayreville, NJ

Just be informed that if you dont take out extra insurance and you get a flat tire you will have to pay for it. I called the service number and was asked if someone could change the tire(thank god for my son being with me or that probably would have been another charge) then was told i would have to bring tire to be fixed at a specified dealer. I was told on phone I would have to front the money and be reimbursed after. When returning car I spoke to agent and was given an email to send copies of bill to. 3 days later received response saying "Dear Madam, Thank you for your correspondence. As you did not purchased tyre and windscreen coverage, a damaged tyre and any incurred expenses would be your responsibility. Please forward the documents to your own insurance provider in order to avail of a refund. Kind regards, Ciaran Customer Service Team Ireland

Tim Griffin Somerville, MA

They weren't explicit about how the toll road system worked in the Tampa Bay area. Basically, there is an administrative fee for using toll roads that has been passed on to the consumer because there is no option for renta car users to pay tolls directly or pay-by-plate directly. In order to use toll roads I needed to pay an $8.99 per day fee on top of the actually toll. That's complete BS and exploits the consumer. Also, had a random fee show up on my bill: "AP Concession Recovery Fee 10.00 - 24.01 USD" So I ended up paying $112 above the prepaid total for a 5 day rental.

Lottielyn Schwenke Orlando, FL

I used Sixt for the first time on a work trip to Minnesota. They were great, easy to use, and upgraded my car to an SUV with no problem as I was not comfortable to drive in snow.

J Paul Wright Central, UT

I rented a car with SIXT in Florida and another time in Austria. For a foreign rental, they were great to work with. The Pick up and drop off were very easy and they , by far, had the best price since we were renting for 3 weeks. In Florida, the upgrade was nice, but because it was a luxury style upgrade, they wouldn't accept my insurance or my AMEX to cover the car, so I was almost forced into buying their coverage. If not for the upgrade, it would have been fine.

Joshua McAfee ,

Terrible experience. Didn’t have the Mercedes I booked and paid for so they gave me a jeep for the same cost. Seriously. Then it broke down the next day and they wouldn’t come out to fix it because they said I didn’t have roadside assistance and hung up on me. Do not ever rent here..

Debbie Stratos Wellsville, OH

I was a returning customer having an average experience the first time. Thought maybe it was just the location, so decided to give them another try. Made a reservation, then Covid hit. Ended up having to cancel the trip due to Covid quarantine. Unable to get any response from customer service. Email after email went unanswered. I was fully charged for the rental that never happened. Never had such an awful response (no response) from a company. Airline and hotel were extremely accommodating, but Sixt....crickets. I would never use or recommend this company to anyone.

mccord Easton, PA

Rented car a hundred times, never burnt like i have been by this company. Did not see the fine print they only allowed 160 miles on a 4 day rental. Now what should have been a 120.00rental at all the other car counters, turned into 400.00. They got me, and they never will again, as well i going to post this same review anywhere and ever-were. Run from there counter, don't drive!!.

SANDRA CANNON Chico, CA

I rented a car in Phoenix airport paid in full at least a month before but I had to cancel because the rioters started up. I am a retired fire fighter that is disabled and 66yrs old and I did not feel safe. I cancelled 10 days in advance and they charged me $101 or a $169 rental. This was not my fault and they should have charged me alot less. If you pay in advance they charge you that much DO NOT RENT HERE

A Thieme Rochester, NY

DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY. Would give zero stars if that was option. Sixt charging me for pre-existing damage to vehicle. I did everything I was supposed to upon rental: inspected vehicle, made sure all pre-existing damage was recorded. They did not provide paper receipt. Said updated damage report would be sent to my email. MY MISTAKE for not getting a paper receipt. Email NEVER came. FRAUDULENT business practices. You have been warned.

willie nash Walthamstow, WFT

They are a bunch of scam artists. I rented a Luton van with a tail lift. When I returned the van they claimed I scratched the underside of the tail lift. This is the part of the vehicle that lays down on the ground so you can roll your loads onto it to lift it up to the truck. It is in regular contact with the ground. This is akin to them accusing me of getting a pebble stuck in the tire treads. They are now trying to charge me 1000 GBP for the "damage". I know of three other people that have similar situations. I will never use this company again, nor should you.

Rose Smith Coos Bay, OR

The rental car process was fine and the car was clean and nice. The reason why I am giving them a 1 is because the charged me twice. It has been almost 4 weeks now and I still have not been refunded the extra charge of $118.22. No one can tell me what the charge is for. They do not have record of the extra charge but both have been charged to my credit card. I do not calls back or emails. You cannot reach customer service by phone and they do not answer your emails. You have to wait for over 15 minutes to get a hold of someone at the Phoenix Airport location

Erika Juliani Fort Lauderdale, FL

They steal money! DO NOT RENT FROM THEM! I made a reservation and immediately cancelled it because I entered the wrong picked up time. They charged my $121 dollars for a cancelled reservation and I never got a refund. I made a new reservation right after I cancelled the first one with the correct pick up time, but because of Covid-19 they closed their counter early at Tampa International Airport at 11pm. My plane didn't arrive till midnight even though they were supposed to be open till 1am. They charged me another $85 dollars for that reservation. I ended up paying over $206 dollars for a car I never rented. These people are thieves. Do not rent from them, they steal money. I ended up renting from another car rental company that was open during Covid at the airport. They told me Sixt rental are huge scammers and a lot of customers end up losing their money and never even get a car from them....just like me.