Sixt Rent A Car Logo

Sixt Rent A Car

3.6

LAST UPDATED: January 24th, 2022

SIXT started out with three locations and grew into an international company with locations throughout the United States. Currently, the company is present in 105 countries across the globe with over 2,000 branch locations. SIXT purchases more than 200,000 vehicles annually and owns the world's largest fleet of premium German cars.

The Good

• Vehicle Types
  • Price Range
  • Toll Prepay Option
  • Online Check-In

Vehicle Types

The SIXT vehicle fleet hosts models from German favorites like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi. Vehicle types include:

• Convertibles
  • Luxury cars
  • Minivans
  • SUVs
  • Passenger vans

Price Range

SIXT offers vehicles ranging in average prices in the car rental industry. While the prices are not necessarily low, SIXT's car selection is of a higher quality than many economy budget car rentals. The car make and models are newer and more modern so if that is important to you then the average cost is more than worth paying. Regardless of the price listed for a car, though, SIXT boasts a Best Price Guarantee.

Toll Prepay Option

A very convenient feature is the ability to order toll passes through the company's website. Having a toll pass makes your commute easier when you travel. This comes as part of the online check-in.

Online Check-In

You can check in your car from SIXT's website instead of the rental counter using one of two options: the online check-in portal via the website or the on-site terminal. After you sign in and check in with your reservation number, you go to SIXT's express counter and swap your signature for the car keys. For the terminal option, follow these steps:

1. Insert your Sixt Express Card or credit card into the terminal.
  2. The terminal detects your card automatically and shows you the reservation. You also have the option of booking extras at this point, such as winter tires.
  3. Select your car out of three vehicle options.
  4. Confirm the booking details and print your rental agreement.
  5. Open the safe and take the vehicle keys.

This makes checking in easy and fast and eliminates the issue of long lines that you get with other car rental companies.

The Bad

• Limited U.S. Availability
  • No Instant Return
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

Limited U.S. Availability

SIXT has rental car locations in 15 states, so your options are limited in the United States. Sixt has rental counters at some major airports throughout North America, but not as many as some competitors. For instance, most rental companies have counters at JFK, LaGuardia, or Newark airports in the New York City area and SIXT does not. On the plus side, SIXT is worldwide, so it is likely to cover your international travel needs.

No Instant Return

SIXT lacks an instant return option where you can leave the car with the keys inside. You must return the vehicle to a rental office (or other identified location) on the date and time specified in your rental agreement.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

SIXT does not offer discounts for fueling your vehicle on-site. If a customer returns the car low on gas, SIXT charges a $50 fee.

The Bottom Line

If you're itching to try out a new or luxury car, look no further than SIXT. With quick check-in, no hidden costs, and free cancellation, SIXT is all about convenience. However, the company is not readily available throughout North America, especially in smaller states and cities.

1.4

martin joseph Cathedral City, CA

This is the worst car I have ever rented. It was filthy inside... all of the seats were stained badly and the car smelled gross. It was dark and late at night when I got the car so I didn't notice until the next day. I called to report this and was just told that they would log my complaint. When I returned it I told the agent who took the car and she just said oh, ok. After expressing my dissatisfaction with the poor condition of the rental (it was filthy and reeked of cigarette smoke) I was then charged and additional $115. Seriously??? This is the customer service you get with Sixt so BE WARE. It's all about money for them

Tia Harr Clearwater, FL

Do not rent from this company! Our original receipt stated $335 (with taxes and fees) as long as the vehicle was returned in the same condition, the same amount of gas and on time. We returned the vehicle on time, in the same condition and a full tank. Three days later we are charged $400 for smoking fee (my fiancé and I do NOT smoke I hate the smell!) and a random $78 for Concession Recovery Fee. We were charged $911 in total! Even without the $478 of extras we still would have been paying $433 which is $100 more than our original charge. We never once smoked in the car. The vehicle was given to us barely cleaned already with a weird smell which we put a vent air freshener in the car trying to help with the scent. I truly regret not going with a well known company even if that meant paying a little more than what I thought we would have been paying

William Hu Brampton, ON

We rented the car in Switzerland - received a very scratched up car and when we expressed our concerns to the agent - I was reassured the car was fine and all the scratches were documented (which did). We did however check all the scratches and they were indeed on the receipt. Upon returning the car, the car was received and ok'ed by the airport employee. 15 hours later we mysteriously received a "damage report“ which claims one of the scratches became "deeper and longer" (in different words but essentially the same thing). We of course reported that the damage wasn't caused by us and it was well documented in the original receipt. We thought everything would be fine but three weeks later, we were asked to pay ~2000 euros. Now I have emailed them (called 10+ times and tried different routes, each time it led to a dead end) and waiting for their response...let's see what they get back to us on. This feels very fraudulent and buyers be aware!!! I've rented in many countries and hundreds of times - first time ever i encounter something like this. If you encounter situations like this, credit card companies are your best friend - make sure this company doesn't get paid for their scams.

Marc Anderson Eldora, IA

Rented a van in Roatan, Honduras last week. Van’s clutch was burnt up when we received the vehicle, and we contacted their local office with our concerns. They accused us of causing the damage and told us to pay $600 for repairs. The van was in our possession less than 30 minutes. Local management is a joke. There’s no point in communicating with “Kelvin”, the store manager. He is worthless. We rented a replacement vehicle from another rental company in Roatan, and their employees said Sixt accuses customers of causing damage and attempts to charge repairs to customers regularly. Avoid these jokers at all cost.

ECR Westmount, QC

Unsubstantiated claim for damages resulting from an 'accident' which never occurred. We have notified the insurance company and credit card company not to pay. We have traveled the world and rented cars for 40 years. Never have we come across an operation so 'suspect'. I would give them NO Stars but the review form does not allow that option. We were dealing with the LeMans, France office

kim .mizuno Dallas, TX

I don't want you to experience what we experienced with SixT. So don't use them. We rented our first car from SixT in Milan Italy. As our flight slightly delayed, when we went to the counter the agent said the car we reserved was no longer available and offered more expensive rental. We cancelled the contract and walked away. This time we booked a car in Geneva Switzerland. Our flight delayed and exactly the same thing happened. They offered again more expensive one. We rented this time and returned it few days later. They sent invoice for the scratch damage on three tire wheel hubs for over US$1,495.90 which we did not damage. I filed insurance claim at AIG and AIG paid SixT US$ 1285.69. Then I requested SixT to issue a credit for US$ 1285.69. They refused to do so. So I filed dispute with the credit card company. Please don't use SixT and I don't want anyone go through this headache. I believe there is fundamental ethical issue with the corporation.

Vasiliki Lappa Thessaloniki, 54

Unacceptable kept of deposit I am really disappointed about the renting of a car from sixt company. You require a deposit of 300 euros, and since everything went well you are suppose to return it. I was expecting it back in 4 to 5 working days. Since that didn't happen I called to find out why. The employees lied to me, something I found out later. They told me it was late due to banks policy and days of vacation and it would be returned in 9 days. After 2 weeks I called again, and I was assured again that the amount would be return in a day or two. A month later I called my own bank to find out what happen. So my bank informed me that the procedure was not made correctly on behalf of sixt company and I have to wait for 25 WORKING DAYS FOR MY DEPOSIT TO BE RETURNED. It has been a month and a week and still my money are not back. For 50 euros of renting a car, sixt company required a deposit of 300 and I have to wait for more than a month to get it back? And still the employees lied to me on the phone not telling me what have happened. I am an employed and these money are very important to me. I believe that in such cases you should have the desency to speak clear to your customers, apologize and pay indemnity as well. You are not a serious company and people should avoid renting from you. I was left without any money for the rest of the month because of it. I rented the car from train station Barcelona and the person you helped me was Alvaro. Thanks for destroying my holiday guys.

Edgar Cooper Naples, FL

Dan and Morgan at RSW provided great customer service helping us with a replacement vehicle after we lost our car keys. They were very professional and couldn't have been nicer!

Robert Jones Brooklyn, NY

Sixt always goes above and beyond to accommodate me with my car rental needs, this is the second time they upgraded my car without changing me anything extra, I’ve been renting cars from sixt for a few years now and i love doing business with them, will definitely continue to use sixt rental A+++++

michael Dunne Littleton, CO

I returned my vehicle 6 days earlier than I contracted for and Sixt refused to give me any refund at all. I can maybe understand charging me for half (3 days) of the early return span, but not all six days. I will never use this car rental company again.

DJ V Noordwijk aan Zee, ZH

I had my most terrible car rental experience by far at the Sixt Venice airport office. Absolutely terrible. Don't rent here. I had booked through an intermediary. My intermediary had let me know I had CDW insurance. The ladies at the SIxt desk said I did not. They refused to contact the intermediary to solve it. They have a serious attitude problem. After only a few minutes and refusing to solve it they signed me up as a "no-show", which was literally lying, as I was standing at the desk. But it was their way of handling my complaint and caused me to loose my booking and money. That is like stealing from a customer. Complaints at the main Sixt office have not been taken seriously at all. So please people avoid yourself a lot of problems and don't book here.

Marco Castro Phoenix, AZ

Customer care took care of a cancellation we had and after some discussion refunded us the full amount. We need more companies like this I will be back for future rentals. DrC

Aiyana Brown Tallahassee, FL

The last car I rented was from Sixt during a trip to Atlanta and besides the fact that the wait to get the car was super long, the process of getting the car went very smooth and was very easy. The car received had a few dents and dings before we got it, but we reported them to the company and they took note of them so that we weren’t charged for them afterwards. Overall a very nice company and very easy to work with

Krystal J Storm Melbourne, VIC

They refused to give me a rental car because I'm not fully vaccinated even though it says NOTHING about this in their policy. I also didn't receive a refund and the customer "service" was disgusting. Sixt are criminals!!!

dayna menard Merced, CA

Don't trust this company!!! They didn't accept my insurance through cheaptickets and made me purchase additional insurance through them for $250. Then the car got a tiny scratch to the primer while being parked during Storm Arwen, and now they're charging me an additional $989!!!! Mine you the shitty insurance they made me buy had a $1,000 deductible!! Hmmmmm really!

Bernice Mcgovern Albuquerque, NM

We returned the car Wednesday morning early before we were supposed to left keys in car they said to . I had paid previously 249 dollars he said it shouldn’t be too much more then that. We filled the car took 20 dollars . I got my invoice the next night they charged us 38 dollars for fuel charges plus other charges of 78 I didn’t know about . This is the first and last time I’ll rent from them there thieves trying to steal money from poor people . I hope and pray they repent for what there doing.

Martin Lock Roehampton, WND

Never rent from this company. I recently rented in Boston and they are trying to charge over $500 in 'additional fees'. No it was not a Ferrari, no there was no damage it was a three day mid week sub compact. They are deceitful and probably fraudulent. You can never contact them as they answer with auto-email responses telling you they are too busy to respond.

Roland Chanin-Morris Ierapetra, 92

It appears Sixt's business model is based on scamming the customer. We hired a car in Lisbon Airport and then changed the return location to City Centre (which we were told was free). We were erroneously charged a 20EUR fee for a 'Premium Return Location'. One week later we were hit with a 33EUR charge for a broken plastic fixture in the boot - which we didn't cause - plus a 35EUR damage handling fee. This was despite purchasing full cover and being told we didn't need to check the car as any damage was covered. I appealed this, but my credit card was charged anyway despite Sixt not providing any proof. Awful business practices, I will never contemplate hiring from Sixt again and would thoroughly recommend against anyone else using them.

Tatiana Lazareva Limassol, 02

Sixt/Get your car/Fizzler counter at Paphos airport Worth rental experience of car rental at Cyprus and at all other coumtries.I haven't credit car but I was ready to place deposit or make payment and than the refund. I booked the small car through QEEQ and it was fully prepaid. Usially the amount of deposit is less than 1K EUR for compact car. The servicer offered me to get a full insurance with the price which was compared for 2 weeks rental and no other compromises. I asked your surname and name for the complaint and also asked to contact with manager of the counter. After calling the aggregator I was ready to pay the full insurance for small car, but she told that they didn't provide the car without credit card because I wanted to comliant. It was so unusial to met so unfriendly staff at rental car companies . As a result I rented car at the neithbour counter and got only positive emotions and excellent service. I spent about one hour for get a car and I hope that the aggregator refund me full payment because It wasn't provided. I rented at Sixt in London, New York and other cities but never have such problems with the debit card and so unfriendly service

Brian Bauer Buda, TX

Hi all, most of you that know me well, know that I never do this...but in our recent visit to Phoenix, we rented a car from Sixt, and we'll...I would like to share my experience in order to spare the rest of you: What started out as what could have been my best rental experience ever, unfortunately ended up being my worst! Checked in and got a "free" upgrade. Went to get in the car and noticed some mild damage on rear bumper and the facia missing from one of the vents, but otherwise all seemed nice.. didn't think to go as far as inspecting for chips in the windshield and photographing them! There was no attendant around to walk around with it even discuss the things noted. Went ahead and left in the car. Enjoyed the vehicle for 2 nights and returned it....in a massive line of cars early in the morning. Of course, again there was no attendant around. Didn't dare to leave the keys in the car, so looked for an attendant or drop box. Found a drop box at the front of all the cars and went ahead and dropped the key in and headed inside to get to our flights. After returning home, I received a notice from Sixt that they were charging me for damage done to the car i.e. chips in the windshield. Nothing ever hit the window while I had the car. Then a couple days later, I received another notice: they were claiming I lost the key. Then finally a bill...$225.60 of which most of was for "loss of use." Assuming they didn't think to look in the KEY DROP BOX for the key! Absolutely rediculous. I will never again rent from them. Beware!!!!!

Hannah Kordonsky New York, NY

I have been waiting 1 hour for my car - we are the only people here renting - there are no chairs we have been standing for the entire 1 hour.

1 day ago

Naomi Jacksonville, FL

They have the best customer service! I always use this company when it comes to events when I don’t want to use my own car. The car is always clean and I never had a bad incident.

leopoldo cevallos New York, NY

Just got the car back to the rent car, Jose the driver was very profesional and helpful, for sure next time will comeback

Maria Fraser Calgary, AB

OMG!!!? I just read the horrible reviews about this company, I wish I had read them sooner, we rented a car in LOS ANGELES thinking the pick up was at the airport. We realized 6 days before pick up that we would have to take an Uber to go pick up the car so we canceled online. They kept 100$ American, For what? No other car rental company has ever done this to us. These guys are thieves.

Mark San Diego, CA

This company is a scam. When weather changed a flight the company wanted to charge $200 fee to change or give credit for one year. I opted for credit. I received an email with confirmation and "Security Code". The email states a year to use the credit. Two months later I tried to make a reservation and the computer gave me an error. When I tried to call it played a COVID unavailable message. I send emails to service unreturned. I finally called new reservations and the guy on the phone said my reservation was a now show and hung up the phone on me. This company is a complete sham. DO NOT USE!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!

Maria del Mar Fierros Huixquilucan, MEX

I rented a car from sixt at the San Antonio Airport, returned it 4 days after and I never got my deposit back, I made the claim through their deficient customer service and never got either a response or my money back. On July still nothing and one day I wake up with the news that they made a temporary hold of my funds for 590 USD, my bank prevented the fraudulent charge, and now on September, they've effectively charged me again for another $590, made a temporary hold of my funds for another $590!!!! This matter will be at my lawyers desk in the morning, please beware who you're dealing with, you've been warned....

Michael Jaffe Delray Beach, FL

Rented a Toyota Yaris at Ben-Gurion Airport (TLV) in Tel Aviv for two weeks, arranged through Expedia. The handover was smooth and quick, even during prime tourist season. The staff was extremely friendly and efficient. The vehicle had 1400 km on it, so it was practically new and in pristine condition. No issues with the car. Car return was also quick, very friendly staff. A year earlier, I had used SixT at Reykjavik, and the pickup experience was not nearly as good. There seem to be a number of factors influencing the experience, but, for the most part, SixT seems to be a good discount option.

Maureen E. Serge

I was so surprised to see the negative reviews for Sixt. I have been renting cars from Sixt for approximately 2 years and have never had a problem, and the customer service was fantastic. Besides their prices being the best in town, I always receive fast courtesy service from the counter people. Granted, I only rent when I am in Las Vegas, but I am there 3 or 4 times a year and use Sixt all the time. I tried the rest of the car rentals and they are expensive and never had the car that I originally reserved. BRAVO to Sixt. To all the new customers, don't be swayed by someone else's negativity.

Doug Foerch Vernon Hills, IL

This is one of the better priced rental car companies. I got a quality car for a lower price than other companies.

Alison Van Horn Washington, DC

Sixt is a total scam. It makes its money by cheating customers in every possible way. Do not ever give them your credit card number because they will charge hundreds of dollars in exchange for nothing and claim it is their policy. Sixt should be shut down.

Jewdyer Osborne Brooklyn, NY

Rented a car from this agency and was quoted a price for the rental. I receive the bill and see that it is much more than I was quoted. I called sixth on numerous occasions to be promised calls and emails back from customer service. The correspondence from them never happened. At this point this shady rental company can have the money they stole. Ill.never use thos crappy company ever again and I will make sure that I alert all of my friends to leave this company alone. It's pretty bad when an employee in their corporate office tells me that there are only 2 people in their customer service department and that it takes weeks to get back to a customer.

David Yu Berlin, BE

Sixt KNOWINGLY rented me a faulty car!! I had previously left a 5-star review, but when things go wrong, you get nothing from Sixt customer service. Here's what happened: I rented a car to pick up my partner from Poland at the end of summer vacation. I did the standard check of the car to make sure there are no problems. On my drive I found that the previous driver dropped his wallet in the car and was able to connect to the previous driver to plan to return his wallet once I return to Berlin. When I got to Poland and the first time my partner sat in the passenger seat, we learned that the extremely loud seat belt alarm would go off even when the seat belt is fastened. This meant the passenger seat is useless and it's not something I could possibly have learned from inspecting the car when I picked it up, because the car would have to be moving for the alarm to go off. I contacted Sixt right away. No response. This meant my partner had to sit uncomfortably in the back and we couldn't bring back all the luggage and had to leave some at the parents'. The worst thing is, the previous driver who dropped his wallet returned the car within 5 minutes of renting this car because of this problem, and probably no more than 30 minutes before I picked up the car, so Sixt KNEW full well this was a faulty car and didn't inform me that I was picking up a faulty car. I contacted customer service again after returning the car, but have gotten no reply. I will unfortunately have to take it up with my credit card company. Really disappointed with the dishonesty and the lack of customer support.

Nick Nashville, TN

FRAUDULENT Business practices!!! Terrible experience with Sixt. I pre-booked a BMW X3 in Minneapolis through a 3rd party booking site for $964. Upon arriving at the airport Sixt’s estimated price was nearly $300 under the voucher paid amount so they immediately try to give me a much more expensive vehicle to match the voucher and avoid a refund. The shady salesman antic isn’t what triggered me to write this review though. After renting the X3 and returning it unharmed I received a rental receipt that included the rental amount and tax breakdowns. This came in around $833 total. Cool, so I’ll get a refund right because this is less then the prepaid amount? RIGHT!?? No. A week later I get the final invoice through email for over $1000. The rental amount was the same as the original rental receipt but in place of the original tax bill, the invoice had a line item titled “Voucher Differnz” for nearly the exact amount of tax value that was listed on the previous rental receipt. Then they totaled the Rental Amount and the “Voucher Differnz” line item to $833 and charged taxes again off the “new” subtotal. You can’t call them because they’ve used Covid as an excuse to disable their phone system. I sent 5 emails to the advised customer support email address. This morning I finally get a response back and this is the email word for word. “ Please accept our apology for the delay in response. All prices are net prices. State, federal and local taxes apply to all rentals. *Local renters are defined as renters who pick up a rental vehicle in the state of their residence as identified by the address on their driver's license. Thank you for your understanding and we hope you have a great day.” Clearly someone read my emails and took the time to investigate the matter. Great customer service Sixt, I especially enjoyed the fun inapplicable definition of a local renter and the restatement that taxes are charged on rentals. Really great insight. I look forward to next month’s reply with equal excitement that you won’t own your mistake and provide another thrilling, useless tidbit. “All rentals are subject to rental charges.” My only current recourse is to dispute the difference charged to my credit card of ~$50 and complain to the 3rd party booking site for hosting such a fraudulent company. I’d love to see an internal breakout of Sixt’s income statement, specially income from “Voucher Differnz”.

Allison Hubbard Tempe, AZ

I went on a trip to Nice, France. While there I rented a car from Sixt Rent A Car located at the Nice Airport. I prepaid $574 to have the car for 48 hours. The contract has 500 km included and additional km are charged at around $1.50/km. Two days after I returned the car (on time) I received an invoice for $13,919.59 stating I drove a total of 5,865 km. For my Americans that's 3,644 miles. Driving from California to Florida is only 2,706.4 miles. We'd have to drive 75 mph with no breaks for the entire 48 hour rental period to even accomplish that distance. We'd have to drive the entire border of France 1 and a 1/2 times. My wife emailed twice when the charge was pending on our account. Once the charge posted I called their corporate line and was told their customer service phone line was down and to email. I sent an email as directed. We've received no response to any emails. I had to dispute with my credit card company.

Doug N Urbandale, IA

One star is too good for Sixt. Bait and switch. At the Nuremburg site, I had a Audi car reserved at a good price through a third party. Get there and they give me a run around. The AUdi came back damaged, you can have this slightly smaller one. Oh no, that one isn't available. I have on left - it is even smaller. We will give you a discounted price. But you didn't have 1 way drop priced in. Bill is $400 on top of the price I paid for the rental. I did have the one way paid for, but they keep you spinning by changing cars and asking you questions and then you pay for it. This my first and very last time I will used SixT. Maybe a good price to start, but beware, they will take you to the cleaners if they get the chance.

sara m San Francisco, CA

This company is really awful. They claim I scratched two separate rentals (which didn't happen), and I ended up paying an extra $1700 ! I rent cars all the time and have never had a bad experience with another company. I'm writing a review, maybe for the first time ever because of having such a terrible experience. I rented cars from Sixt twice in the last year and both times they claimed I scratched the car and charged me for it. It was basically my word against theirs and I had no choice but to pay it. The first time I thought maybe it did get scratched and I just didn't realize it, but on the second one I realized this is a total scam! I seriously can't believe what a rip-off this was. So disappointing. So expensive.

Donna Simms Masterson Louisville, KY

Renters beware of accepting a car with prior damages. Even though the so called receipt the agent gives you list the known damages of the vehicle, they will still want you to pay for damages when the car is returned and the receiving crew assesses the car, without your presence. I went back to the agent when I saw the damages and he assured me the receipt listed the damages and all was good, so I took the car against my better judgement. I trusted them. What a stupid thing to do! Their process is to turn the car in without a returning walk through so you can show that the damages were previously done with our receipt listing them. The company does not look into the vehicle history to assess who did the damages they just send you a bill. Don't accept these cars and rely on a receipt to not hold you accountable. Terrible process for the customer!!

S. Smith Tampa, FL

Great costumer service, friendly and helpful gentleman. Helped to solve problems. For example, Upgraded me for free with a navigation (GPS) option that I realized then that I needed and did not have in the previous booked car.

Daione S Milbourne Orlando, FL

Terrible customer service they basically took my money though the app and didn't return it almost causing my account to freeze currently going through claim situation

Helen Casserly Rochester, NY

Vikram, Khalid & Nick at (BHX) Birmingham Airport Sixt rental car provided me with EXCEPTIONAL service. My family was in crisis & my original contract with the Heathrow Airport office was misinterpreted & no longer served my needs. I arrived in an extremely distressed state, but was treated with so much empathy & compassion. They made me feel that no problem was insurmountable. I applaud Vikram, Khalid & Nick, they have ensured my loyalty to Sixt. ~ Helen Casserly ~

Tommie L Dallas, GA

They have nice new cars and the staff is friendly and professional. It’s the least stressful rental or travel arrangement I have ever had to deal with. Actually with the miles I drive for work me renting a car from them is cheaper then buying a new one and paying a big insurance bill and maintenance. Brittany B has been especially efficient and always brought me a fresh new car out within minutes. She is definitely is off the charts when it comes to customer service.

Robert Walker Boerne, TX

I booked a car rental with Sixt at the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport in advance of a vacation to Scottsdale. Upon arrival at the airport we realized we had too many bags (bulky golf clubs) to easily access the rental shuttle and thus I left my wife with most bags at the terminal while I took golf clubs and took the shuttle to the rental center and then drove back to pick up my wife. Unfortunately, I left the copy of my rental agreement in a bag with my wife but the agent was able to pull it up on his computer. I remembered ballpark numbers regarding the rental with the base price of $315 and taxes and fees taking the total up to just over $450. The car I had reserved was a Mercedes Gla or equivalent. While the agent did not specifically say there were none of that category available, he asked what type car I wanted. I said I didn't have a specific vehicle in mind and to be honest could not remember exactly what Mercedes model was listed and shown on my reservation. He turned the computer monitor around for me to see and first pulled up a Volvo station wagon to which I showed no interest. He then pulled up a Mercedes E300 and asked if that was ok and I said yes, it would. He did not make it clear it would be an upgrade and thus more expensive. He mentioned I had booked a base rate of $315 (plus change) and then said he could give me a first time renter's discount and AAA discount which yielded a rate of $216 plus tax and fees. It was not explained to me this was in addition to the amount of my reservation. The contract I eventually got a copy of did list it as an upgrade choice with the new charges as additional charges. However, there was nothing provided in print or shown to me on a monitor that included that information. All I saw on the little electronic pad that I signed on was a line for my signature. Now, I know it is my responsibility to be aware of what I am signing whether the electronic pad on which I am signing is displaying all the details or not. I did not know I could scroll back on the pad to see all the other information but I don't know that I would have even had I known, based on what I thought I understood from the way presented by the agent. Perhaps in the back of my mind I was rushed to get back and pick up my wife and bags and was not as attentive as I should have been. I do not think the agent was trying to take advantage of me or screw me. He was a very nice man and I would gladly deal with him again. Even if he never mentioned everything was additional charges, I should have inquired and read in detail what I was signing. Once I realized the total charges was almost $750 instead of just over $450, I was very disappointed. I contacted Sixt customer service and presented the information I have detailed here and after a brief investigation on their end got back to me. They did not want to have a very unhappy first time customer and made a one time exception as a good will gesture and credited me the additional charges. When I first made my reservation online, I was impressed with Sixt competitive rates although they deal with a higher class vehicles. I will definitely rent with them again, but I will also do my due diligence to make sure I fully understand every aspect of the rental and the associated costs. I highly recommend Sixt due to their excellent customer service, and their higher class vehicles at reasonable rates.

Sam Waterston Chicago, IL

Rented a car in Boston at Logan. Accidentally left my wallet on the passenger seat. Remembered about 10 minutes later, but an employee had already stolen it. Wouldn’t rent from this company again if my life depended on it.

Boris Shapiro Greentown, PA

I rented a car in Portugal. 1st car had a broken bumper. By the time they replaced it, I was out of time for inspection. I bought a full coverage insurance from SIXT website. On the day of return SIXT employee created a fake checklist of damages to defraud insurance company. Now I have to process a claim for the fake reports

Cynthia Louise Adkins Checotah, OK

They expect people with COVID-19 to travel, potentially infecting others, to pickup rental vehicles they pre-paid for or to pay their standard cancellation fee. While that might be legal, it is extremely unethical. If you do not like doing business with morally bankrupt companies, stay far away from them.

Daniela Wesley Chapel, FL

Sixt in Europe is a legal scam. DO NOT RENT a car from this company for any reason. You will be charged mystery amounts with zero explanation. You will not be able to cancel or even ADD DAYS to your booking without them taking full advantage of you. This is sadly an incredibly shady and deceitful company. Spend your money somewhere else.

Tara Sottong Hayward, CA

Don’t make the same mistake I did. I paid up front. When I had to cancel my reservation 3 weeks in advance, they kept $100. Had I made the reservation and not paid, I wouldn’t have had no penalty. They are very shady. I can’t get anyone on the phone and the emails that I received don’t have a person’s name just “customer service” There are too many choices for car rentals to have to deal with this. Scroll past these people.

Aric Dershem Grand Rapids, MI

We rented from SiXT in Geneva Switzerland. The car was in good working order, but during checkout, we were offered additional insurance to cover any damages. We chose the additional insurance for 500 CHF. During our trip, we were forced to the side of a narrow mountain road by an oncoming truck and rubbed against a fence post - creating a 1.5cm scratch on the front bumper. Upon returning the car, we were charged 1500 CHF additional for repairs. I will never use SiXT again after my experience and would not recommend that you do either.

Dani Grooms Morrow, GA

This company needs to reevaluate there refund process!!!! I booked a prepaid rental online. When I got there NO cars were AVAILABLE so of course my refund should have been automatic due to no fault of my own. It has been nothing short a hassle to have my money refunded back. the process is too long and inconvenient. If you request a refund it has to go through some type of investigation which takes 3-5 days then it takes up to 10 days for the refund to be refunded to your actual card. This a unnecessarily lengthy process. It should not be this difficult I'm very disappointed.

Shauna Hatch Layton, UT

We showed up to get our two rentals. Apparently the larger vehicle had been in a wreck. Sixt offered us replacements that were not big enough to hold all of the passengers and luggage so we had to fork over another $750 to get a large vehicle. The customer service rep assured us we should get all of the money back. Not only did Sixt keep the extra $750, they charged us another $400-$500 when we got home! We returned the vehicles without any damage! Insanity! I will never rent from this rip-off company again!