Sixt Rent A Car Logo

Sixt Rent A Car

7.6

SIXT started out with three locations and grew into an international company with locations throughout the United States. Currently, the company is present in 105 countries across the globe with over 2,000 branch locations. SIXT purchases more than 200,000 vehicles annually and owns the world's largest fleet of premium German cars.

The Good

• Vehicle Types
  • Price Range
  • Toll Prepay Option
  • Online Check-In

Vehicle Types

The SIXT vehicle fleet hosts models from German favorites like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi. Vehicle types include:

• Convertibles
  • Luxury cars
  • Minivans
  • SUVs
  • Passenger vans

Price Range

SIXT offers vehicles ranging in average prices in the car rental industry. While the prices are not necessarily low, SIXT's car selection is of a higher quality than many economy budget car rentals. The car make and models are newer and more modern so if that is important to you then the average cost is more than worth paying. Regardless of the price listed for a car, though, SIXT boasts a Best Price Guarantee.

Toll Prepay Option

A very convenient feature is the ability to order toll passes through the company's website. Having a toll pass makes your commute easier when you travel. This comes as part of the online check-in.

Online Check-In

You can check in your car from SIXT's website instead of the rental counter using one of two options: the online check-in portal via the website or the on-site terminal. After you sign in and check in with your reservation number, you go to SIXT's express counter and swap your signature for the car keys. For the terminal option, follow these steps:

1. Insert your Sixt Express Card or credit card into the terminal.
  2. The terminal detects your card automatically and shows you the reservation. You also have the option of booking extras at this point, such as winter tires.
  3. Select your car out of three vehicle options.
  4. Confirm the booking details and print your rental agreement.
  5. Open the safe and take the vehicle keys.

This makes checking in easy and fast and eliminates the issue of long lines that you get with other car rental companies.

The Bad

• Limited U.S. Availability
  • No Instant Return
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

Limited U.S. Availability

SIXT has rental car locations in 15 states, so your options are limited in the United States. Sixt has rental counters at some major airports throughout North America, but not as many as some competitors. For instance, most rental companies have counters at JFK, LaGuardia, or Newark airports in the New York City area and SIXT does not. On the plus side, SIXT is worldwide, so it is likely to cover your international travel needs.

No Instant Return

SIXT lacks an instant return option where you can leave the car with the keys inside. You must return the vehicle to a rental office (or other identified location) on the date and time specified in your rental agreement.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

SIXT does not offer discounts for fueling your vehicle on-site. If a customer returns the car low on gas, SIXT charges a $50 fee.

The Bottom Line

If you're itching to try out a new or luxury car, look no further than SIXT. With quick check-in, no hidden costs, and free cancellation, SIXT is all about convenience. However, the company is not readily available throughout North America, especially in smaller states and cities.

1.3

Donald Young Highland, CA

I prepaid for a rental car a month ago. Three week ago the airlines sent me a chance in air arrival time that would get me in past the meeting time. times. So i cancelled my fight with NO fee changed and booked with another airline. I had to go into another city to do so. Sixt didn't serve Austin Tx .So i called to cancel and they wouldn't refund me my pre-paid. I ask for the CEO contact information which they would no supply. This would have been my forth rental with them. I will NEVER rent with them again. They need to go back to Germany where they came from.

Nicole C Trenton, NJ

If I could give a negative review I would. They ripped us off by renting out and "selling off" all cars in our price range. Forced us to upgrade and CHARGED us for it. They also tried to hit us with a B.S. $250 "cleaning fee" for smoking when we returned it. The car smelled like weed when we picked it up, and the whole week - we had no choice but to keep it because they were already short on cars. They did issue a refund when we complained, but would not refund the mandatory upgrade we were forced to take. It's not our fault that you sold away half of your fleet due to covid, and rented out the car class we reserved. The reservation was made 7 months in advance.

Eileen Pierson Argyle, TX

HORRIBLE - They rip you off - do not rent from them. Here is my story Sixt - I already contacted your "Customer Service", and their response was just ridiculous. Here are the facts. I rented via Priceline August 2020 and was charged immediately $313.09, which included taxes for a mid size car. When I arrived at Orlando International the lone girl at the booth said "I need your credit card". I know that's a normal practice to cover tolls, etc. even though I had my Sunpass with me. She proceeded to say "this is not the card you booked with". I replied yes I know but my chip is not working and I've yet to receive a new credit card, so I have to use my VISA - because even the swipe will not work". She said "well we don't normally accept this but I'll do it anyway." Really? That was just stupid also. Then she proceeded to ask the usual questions, and one was "do you want additional insurance, damage waiver etc." I said NO - I'm covered by my insurance company and I never take it. Apparently she added it anyway. Did I sign the document without reading every line - YES - because stupidly I assumed, as I have done for years in renting cars, that she did not go ahead and charge me anyway - and it was late at night. My husband was standing with me and verified we did not want the damage insurance, etc. LOOK AT THE TAPE WHICH YOUR EMPLOYEES SAID YOU HAVE ON EVERY TRANSACTION. When I got to the condo I looked at the receipt and was like WHAT??? She went and charged us and on top of that added taxes. We waited until we returned the car and talked to attendant to get this off our card. She said she cannot do it but would put in a complaint ticket about it. Of course she never did. If you look at the bill itself it's very confusing as well. First it says total $562.00, then under Authorization on 1/28/21 - it says $478.91. You charged me an additional $248.91 on my credit card. I submitted to my VISA CHASE to protest the charge. This is really a shame that I imagine you play on all your customers and they don't want to take the time to fight it - but I'm retired and have nothing but time, and I will not put up with it. First I have this post on Facebook - but it will not stop there. I intend to put on Priceline sights, and all reviews of your company unless you credit this charge. I saw complaints about your company, but stupidly booked anyway. FIX THIS.

Brook Elizabethtown, KY

Car was fine rental was easy but they billed us twice. Customer service is terrible. Unable to contact people, customer service phone numbers do not work and if you finally get to someone they say their lines are down and must resolve via website. Horrible customer service.

Andrew Harris Dayton, NJ

Took a car here and wasn't satisfied with the assistance they provided. The car had some damages before i took it but weirdly, for some reason i became the responsable one to pay for it's fixing job.

Jessica Sparkle Morrisville, NC

What a TERRIBLE COMPANY! I am the Admin for a company in Raleigh, NC. I was asked to make a vehicle reservation through SIXT at the Orlando, FL airport location. When I made the reservation, I was required to pay to hold the reservation. I paid $912.62. When my co-worker landed in Orlando he went to pick up his rental car and was told that the driver of the vehicle must be the one paying for the car so he used his credit card and was charged $902.20. both charges went through and showed up on our credit card statements. I immediately was informed and asked to fix the discrepancy. I called on a Friday and was told by customer service that they would do an internal investigation and let me know the outcome. Umm, no. I nearly overpaid a thousand dollars and I'm not waiting around for the internal company so I requested a call back from a manager. They said I'd hear back before end of day. I never did hear back. On Monday I called again, to be told by the reservations team that SIXT is closed on President's Day. Tuesday (this morning) I again called and sat through their excruciating hold music. The representative tells me that the customer service department is the only one that can handle my call needs and they don't open until 9 AM. FINALLY I call at 9 AM and am told that I cannot do anything; they won't even talk to me because the reservation was put in HIS name and he's the driver. I got pretty pi$$ed off seeing as how my co-worker is on a business trip hence the need for a car rental. I asked to speak with a manager and was told I'd get the same response. I insisted on speaking with a manager. Instead of connecting me, I was placed on hold for 21 minutes before the guy got back on the line and said again that I couldn't do anything because the reservation is in my co-workers name. We put a stop charge on the card. Never had to do it before. I looked around online and can see that double charging is a regular thing that SIXT does to people. TERRIBLE COMPANY. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID

Frank Neal Dayton, OH

Absolutely the worst experience we’ve ever had with a company. We were charged by sixt for two rental cars and only rented one. We’ve been trying to get our refund back for a car we did not rent for over a month with no success. We have had the run around from every single person we talk to. Would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.

James Martin Sault Ste. Marie, MI

If I could give a zero, I would. Long story short, we got caught in the COVID dilemma like so many. My timeshare refunded money/gave credit, our airline did the same. But not sixt. They hit us with a cancellation fee, charged us sales tax on that fee (which I believe is illegal) and then gave me a voucher of my own money in the amount of $124. But even that was a lie; as I went to use it, it was only :$116. But in order to use it, you have to use the "pay later" platform. Of which has a surcharge of, get this, $114. So they have now taken us for $289 and provided NOTHING but hours on hold and a headache. RUN away from this company. I have sent emails and they don't even reply. This company is the most corrupt of any I have seen. Considering their rating on the BBB website is 1.07 on a scale with 1.00 being the lowest and 5.00 being the highest (I've never seen a rating that low in my life). It's probably just as well well we do our business elsewhere and cut our losses. The first thing they taught us in Econ 101 is that 85% of your business is repeat traffic. This company will not survive long. Especially with all the people we have read stories about being charged for "damage", extra drivers, and fees that were never explained but hidden in the fine print. If you do rent from them, make sure it is with a card you have a long history with (they are more likely to fight for a loyal customer) and take close up video of every inch of the car once you put it in the parking lot where you are returning it.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

I have only found Sixt to be in one of the airport that I travel to. I use them when they have the best deal on car rental sites. The cars are good quality and in good shape. I have rented Cadillac's from them. It helped me realize that I would never want to own a Cadillac ATS, or a convertible.

chris Atlanta, GA

It takes a lot for me to write a review but it's fully deserved in this case. I will not rent from Sixt again. Sixt notified me of a speeding ticket that I incurred through video monitoring in Austria. They assessed an administrative fee. I paid the ticket and the fee. Some months later Sixt contacted me about another ticket and again assessed an administrative fee. I responded and asked some questions about the ticket and fee, including why hadn't I received notice from the local authority like Sixt explained would happen. Sixt never responded to my questions and later in the year referred the matter to a collection agency. More administrative fees have been assessed. Most frustratingly, I called Sixt today - they did not respond to an email I sent - and they refused to discuss the matter, saying "We can't help you now." How's that for customer service? Oh, and I should mention here that they did not provide a car in the same class that I reserved and paid for.

Justin Simmons Waterdown, ON

This company is the worst rental company I have ever dealt with. With the whole pandemic situation going on in the world they are refusing to refund money even though the areas of the world we are travelling to are in lockdown. Don't waste your money with these people they are unprofessional and I do not know how to take care of their client base they have had for years.

Stacey Bell Phoenix, AZ

Wost company ever. I booked a trip to West Palm Beach Florida October 2020 to visit in December 2020. I used Orbitz to book flight, hotel and car. I thought it was all done. Then I needed to extend my trip by 2 days so I called each company to make the arrangements. Sixt told me that I would have to cancel my reservation, forfeit my payment, re book and repay. I should have known then how terrible they at that point, but continued on…. I initiated a dispute with Citi. However, I was able to talk to someone that transferred my existing reservation and add the additional days needed, so all was right in my world again, and I canceled the dispute. December comes, I pack, fly and arrive to West Palm Beach to visit my elderly parents – woohoo! I arrive at Sixt to pick up the car, and they told me that the reservation had been canceled since I didn’t pay my credit card bill. The manager shouted this across the room and would not come to the station where we were. The customer service woman, I believe her name began with a D, (sweet woman with a really nice smile) was trying her best to help me, but their policy states that she can do nothing. The manager kept insisting, loudly and from across the room, that I didn’t pay my credit card bill and I would have to rebook my reservation paying the current charges right now. I pulled up my Citi Visa app on my phone and showed them that they had been paid $260.49 on October 4. You would think that could have been the end of the issue. He stated that I could call the Sixt billing department and they would be able to help me or call my credit card company to dispute the charge. I assured him that I would do just that. The gal booked my reservation. I told her that the original reservation had an addition driver and was $260 for a RAV4. She informed me that they could not do that and I would have to pay $618.79 for the same rental…. $200 is a security deposit and would be returned to me if the car came back in the same shape as when I drove off the lot. She also said she would credit the additional driver, as a credit, but that never happened. Furious, frustrated, and more importantly, stranded, I took the vehicle and tried to enjoy my vacation and my family. When it was time to return the car, I called Sixt customer service to verify the location of the drop off. I did not trust the company, as I am sure you can imagine, and wanted to make sure I was going to be able to get to the airport. I was told that the drop off location was the airport, and if no one was at the desk, to just park the car somewhere in the lot and leave the keys on the desk. WHAT? Where do I park the car? What if someone takes the keys or tows the car? Convinced that this individual is new and doesn’t know what he is talking about, I called back. The second individual, Steven, told me that I would have to return it to the location where I picked the car up, on Bristol Street, and unfortunately there was no shuttle to the airport. WHAT? I rented from the airport to return to the airport because how else would I get to the airport? I asked Steven how I was supposed to get from the drop off location to the airport, he said he didn’t know, maybe call a cab. This is not a very safe area at 5am for a woman to be standing around outside waiting for a cab. Shocked, I had my elderly father drive me to the location that afternoon so I could return the car, and I arranged for an Uber driver to take me to the airport at 5am the next morning. Furious at this company for the lack of professionalism, serious lack of customer service, deceit and insane policies, I just wanted to be done with them. The same gal was working when I checked the car in. She informed me that there was a shuttle that gets to the location about 6 am, so it may have been there at 5. Well, I was so over this company by this point. I certainly was not leaving, hoping there was shuttle the next day, after bothering my father to drive the 90 minute round trip highway adventure on I95 at rush hour. Can you imagine if I had waited to drop the car off at 5am and HOPED that they had a shuttle? How would I get to the airport if they didn’t? and if no one was there, since they don’t open till 6, how would I have returned the car? This is the most discombobulated, unprofessional company I have ever seen. She informed me again that the charge would most likely be $418 since the $200 was their protection, and as long as I returned the car in perfect condition with a full tank of gas, I would only be charged $418. I reminded her that I had already paid $260. back in October and would be disputing this full charge. She apologized for the entire event, said she would do the same thing, and wished me luck. I should probably also ask for my Uber driver amount too but don't want to have any more dealings with this company.

Joshua McAfee ,

Terrible experience. Didn’t have the Mercedes I booked and paid for so they gave me a jeep for the same cost. Seriously. Then it broke down the next day and they wouldn’t come out to fix it because they said I didn’t have roadside assistance and hung up on me. Do not ever rent here..

Rowena Cavanaugh Carlsbad, CA

RIP OFF! DO NOT RENT FROM SIXT!!!!! They would not refund my dad's card after they said they would refund his card and that it would only take up to 5 days. My dad prepaid for my rental to pick up in Houston... since my dad was not present, they would not let me take the rental car. I had a friend pick me up at the airport after I could not rent after it was already pre-paid. I called for 2 weeks and got the run around on the refund. No refund 2 weeks later... they don't plan to refund the money either after they already told me a refund had been issued but it never was... then all of a sudden I had to make a cancellation... but they were going to charge $166 for the cancellation... what!? RIP OFF!!! Don't use this fraudulent company!

John Wright Cape Coral, FL

My experience from the beginning to the end was less than professional. From the beginning when I was told that pre-paying for the car was the best option for us. What they failed to tell us was that the pre-paid option would not allow us to cancel for any reason. They charge our account immediately which I found odd. With the COVID out break, and Government lock down in Minnesota we were forced to cancel our Thanksgiving plans to fly from Florida to Minnesota. We canceled our flight with no charge, we canceled our Rover (dog sitter) with no charge, but when it came to Sixt Rental for the car....we were told no way. That had to charge us for a 3 day rental, at $173.00. Canceling our plans was upsetting enough, and then to get kicked the teeth for a service we did not use, when everyone else we booked with were professional and accommodating. Well this company has lost my business and the business of everyone else I know. If your reading this review prior to booking , please be aware. I would suggest going to Hertz, or Enterprise as they know how to treat their customers with professionalism and dignity.

Jeremy Patton Lakeland, FL

Absolute worst experience I have ever had trying to rent a car. After an hour and a half wait in the heat at the airport with 6 kids they finally got a hurtle for us but we had to fight for seats. After arriving to pick up a vehicle at their office another 2 hour wait just to be denied a rental after they demanded an additional $300 on top of the full rental price I already paid plus an additional $500 deposit. After arguing they cancelled our reservation and refused then to rent us a vehicle and left a family of 8 in a foreign country with no transportation in an awful neighborhood. Buyer beware, this place is a scam and if you call them out for their scamming they will make you pay for it by refusing the pre paid rental and not crediting you back your money. This was a NIGHTMARE!!

Jayesh Patel Chippenham, WIL

Sixt is ripoff, be aware. They charge for everything. here is my story I rented a car out from 8am til 9pm the office closes at 6pm but reception never told me about it and did not give any information where i supposed to leave the car upon return and where to drop the car key when return. i was there well before time, i did get instruction about where to leave car but no info about keys. i spent 10-15 mins to find, wasted about an hour on phone to get some help but no luck. so took the car home, i tried calling their phone number finally a lady picked up and after 30 mins of chat she agreed with me to keep the car. guess, what they charged me £10+VAT even though the lady agreed with me. they wanted proof that i was there in car park before time. seriously!! this is not finish here, i took the car in London city and forgot to pay congestion charge, which is fine i have to pay penaly, Sixt charged me £40 administration fee to just divert the penalty to me. i could not believe their outrageous charging scandal. i will never ever hire a car from Sixt. NO NO No. one last thing, there is no phone number to call if you get invoice for any extra charge or penalty. trust me. I suggest you to not hire from Sixt if you don't want to have any trouble.

Kristen Brusco Waukesha, WI

I will never rent from this company again in my life. If I could give a 0 I would! Dulles Airport. Horrible customer service, taking advantage of people. Not fully explaining the fees and saying its only $13 more but failing to say $13 a day. Promising discounts and us not receiving them. Admitting their fault and STILL not giving the discount to the customer that they were promised. Making people upgrade to a different car than what they reserved and ripping them off saying there is no other car they can rent to you. Shuttle drivers not even waiting until the person is sitting down to drive off taking off fast making customers almost fall. Never again. Very disappointed. Do not rent from here, there are plenty of other car rental places, go with someone else. They will totally take advantage of you and promise you discounts that they will not give. I work in customer service and this was the worst I have ever dealt with. I was only asking for what the front desk lady, Mona, promised me nothing more and I did not get what was promised to me. And even when I tried to go in to talk to someone after dropping off the car they were pushing me to go into the shuttle and did not want me going into the office to speak to someone. I wish I can warn everyone literally do not rent from here!

J Salt Lake City, UT

I’m always hesitant to use less established companies. When Sixt was relatively new, my wife and I took a chance and a booked rental with them at SeaTac. We were not disappointed. We got a luxury car for the price of a midsize through the more well known agencies. Great car with decent service. We were not disappointed!

Aimee Zavala Greenville, NC

I entered my pick up location to be Denver airport the website made reservations at two different Denver locations. I only put my credit card in one time but I had two reservations according to the company. They do not have a working number for the company to get help for any issue that might arise. They did have a number posted on the door of location because doors were locked. Two different company employees told me lies about me making two reservations for same city 1 minute apart. When I did take the train to pick up my car for the only reservation number I had been given I had my daughter record the conversation. This made Ibedt the supervisor of the Denver train station location (Union) upset. She tried to tell me it was illegal. However all business are public places and CO is a one party consent state. I told her why I was doing it because they have no corporate number and no one has taken care of a mistake there website made within 7 days. I have all the information I need to refute this charge with my credit card company thanks to my recording. If you deal with this company be prepared for some extra work.

Hahn Los Angeles, CA

The customer service at Sixt Rental is non existent beyond the kiosk. All if the vehicles have preexisting damageS which they are aware of but dont repair. Tried to communicate with them through email and received an unpleasant unprofessional response 30 days later. They rent cars thats it! No customer service, care ir concern beyond the basic rental. Rude as well. And it tajes approximately 30 days to receive a response. The wait time on the phone is totally unacceptable. The corporate boobs are a waste of time and energy. There is NO customer service.

Lev Vayner Woodland Hills, CA

Over the past decade, I've rented vehicles over 100 times. About 6 or 7 years ago SIXT came to the states, and after the first really pleasant experience, I rented again. It was consecutive good service, good cars, and great prices. Since then SIXT has significantly raised their prices to the point they are no longer competitive. But still I seek them out, and chose them as the rental company for our latest trip. Arriving at the counter (Los Angeles) felt like I walked into a black market back alley in Istanbul. I wasn't sure if they just wanted to give me a lower class car (booked full size SUV, offered a crossover), or make me pay extra for the car offered at the rate I booked, or maybe try to take me into a backroom somewhere to take my kidney. I have had two consecutive negative experiences with SIXT mirroring a failing company stuck in a downward spiral. I would urge anyone considering SIXT to run, not walk, to another rental company.

Todd Manes Denver, CO

Did not have the type of car I reserved. Billed me for a vehicle I was never in. Billed me for days I did NOT have the car. Nearly impossible to get ahold of customer service (which is a joke anyway - Sixt can't spell customer service). Billing department not open on weekends. Stay far away from Sixt. I will have a huge smile on my face the day I hear of them declaring bankruptcy.

N sro West Valley City, UT

Sixt is morally disgusting! I and my family tested positive for Covid 19 so I had to cancel a trip to Hawaii (actually postpone). American Airlines waved all fees to cancel, Hotels.com canceled without fees and Priceline was easy to work with... Guess who the problem is, Sixt rent cars... They infomed me that they be holding strictly to their 3 day charge cancelation policy. Sure they offered to allow me to move my reservation if I pick my next reservation dates before my trip was to take place. Guess what, I have larger things to worry about, my safety and my employment... I get you're real sad I won't be renting a car from you but Hawaii isn't even committed to opening for sure on time for my trip.

Debbie Stratos Wellsville, OH

I was a returning customer having an average experience the first time. Thought maybe it was just the location, so decided to give them another try. Made a reservation, then Covid hit. Ended up having to cancel the trip due to Covid quarantine. Unable to get any response from customer service. Email after email went unanswered. I was fully charged for the rental that never happened. Never had such an awful response (no response) from a company. Airline and hotel were extremely accommodating, but Sixt....crickets. I would never use or recommend this company to anyone.

Lottielyn Schwenke Orlando, FL

I used Sixt for the first time on a work trip to Minnesota. They were great, easy to use, and upgraded my car to an SUV with no problem as I was not comfortable to drive in snow.

mccord Easton, PA

Rented car a hundred times, never burnt like i have been by this company. Did not see the fine print they only allowed 160 miles on a 4 day rental. Now what should have been a 120.00rental at all the other car counters, turned into 400.00. They got me, and they never will again, as well i going to post this same review anywhere and ever-were. Run from there counter, don't drive!!.

Laura Heilman ,

If I could give SIXT negative stars I would. They have horrible customer service. I rented a van for a trip I needed to take and wanted the specific minivan I selected, but received something different then what I wanted and it was dirty. Having a dirty vehicle amid the COVID-19 pandemic is disgusting. I tried calling customer service and never got any one on the phone. I told the rental agent at the airport about my planned trip and never once told me that in the fine print you get charged 50cents for mileage if you go into other states. After my trip I got smacked with a huge charge for mileage and might as well purchased a used car instead. I only received email communication from them and was never able to speak with anyone over the phone about all of my issues. I will never rent from them again and will continue to share my horrible experience with this company and hope they lose more business. I rent a lot of cars and have never experienced the extra charges and non-existing customer service.

Jeffrey Morris Wayne, PA

If I could give 0 stars I would. Had prepaid rental reservation for April that I could not do because of pandemic travel restrictions. Would not work with me at all to cancel reservation or reimburse me, and now I am out >$700 for a trip I never did. Will never use them again.

Denise Bartlett Pacifica, CA

I don’t have a facebook page. Thus, I’m writing this on my nieces page with her permission. I rented a car in Las Vegas 3/9-13/2020. I’m from LV and came home to visit family and friends. The car was driven only to visit family and friends and back to hotel. Few weeks after trip I received an email and invoice from Sixt to the tune of $768.82. Oh, that’s for a replacement hub cap and $100 administration fee. No pictures of hub cap before and after proofing the dings in happened when I rented it. Just a drawing of a car and “X” showing damage. Highly recommend NOT EVER renting a car from Sixt not unless you really want to be taken for an expensive ride!!!!!!!!!

SANDRA CANNON Chico, CA

I rented a car in Phoenix airport paid in full at least a month before but I had to cancel because the rioters started up. I am a retired fire fighter that is disabled and 66yrs old and I did not feel safe. I cancelled 10 days in advance and they charged me $101 or a $169 rental. This was not my fault and they should have charged me alot less. If you pay in advance they charge you that much DO NOT RENT HERE

A Thieme Rochester, NY

DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY. Would give zero stars if that was option. Sixt charging me for pre-existing damage to vehicle. I did everything I was supposed to upon rental: inspected vehicle, made sure all pre-existing damage was recorded. They did not provide paper receipt. Said updated damage report would be sent to my email. MY MISTAKE for not getting a paper receipt. Email NEVER came. FRAUDULENT business practices. You have been warned.

willie nash Walthamstow, WFT

They are a bunch of scam artists. I rented a Luton van with a tail lift. When I returned the van they claimed I scratched the underside of the tail lift. This is the part of the vehicle that lays down on the ground so you can roll your loads onto it to lift it up to the truck. It is in regular contact with the ground. This is akin to them accusing me of getting a pebble stuck in the tire treads. They are now trying to charge me 1000 GBP for the "damage". I know of three other people that have similar situations. I will never use this company again, nor should you.

Rose Smith Coos Bay, OR

The rental car process was fine and the car was clean and nice. The reason why I am giving them a 1 is because the charged me twice. It has been almost 4 weeks now and I still have not been refunded the extra charge of $118.22. No one can tell me what the charge is for. They do not have record of the extra charge but both have been charged to my credit card. I do not calls back or emails. You cannot reach customer service by phone and they do not answer your emails. You have to wait for over 15 minutes to get a hold of someone at the Phoenix Airport location

Erika Juliani Fort Lauderdale, FL

They steal money! DO NOT RENT FROM THEM! I made a reservation and immediately cancelled it because I entered the wrong picked up time. They charged my $121 dollars for a cancelled reservation and I never got a refund. I made a new reservation right after I cancelled the first one with the correct pick up time, but because of Covid-19 they closed their counter early at Tampa International Airport at 11pm. My plane didn't arrive till midnight even though they were supposed to be open till 1am. They charged me another $85 dollars for that reservation. I ended up paying over $206 dollars for a car I never rented. These people are thieves. Do not rent from them, they steal money. I ended up renting from another car rental company that was open during Covid at the airport. They told me Sixt rental are huge scammers and a lot of customers end up losing their money and never even get a car from them....just like me.

Brittany Lawson Fort Mill, SC

I booked a car rental via hotwire for a car through "Sixt" rental company for my trip to Philadelphia, PA.  Neither company would budge on either a credit or refund for a prepaid car rental for memorial day weekend based on a no cancellation policy.  However, when the trip was booked back in early march, it was prior to all the Covid state shut downs.  My trip was unfortunately cancelled due to Covid as Philadelphia is still under a state of emergency/"stay at home" order through June 6, 2020 which overlaps my original trip date.   Most other car services are allowing for either credits or allowing cancellations with refunds due to these extenuating circumstances.  What did both Sixt and Hotwire tell me?  Well, they basically said I'm out of luck and won't receive a refund or credit.  Both Sixt and Hotwire have exhibited poor customer service in comparison to other companies who provide the same services.   I would highly recommend using more morally sound companies for your booking needs.   I know I will.

Melanie Shoffner Harrisonburg, VA

Two years ago - 2 - I rented a car in London from SixtUK at Heathrow Airport. I drove said car for a few days before finding it with a flat tyre, over 100 miles from my conference location. I contacted the company for the needed repair and waited in a local cafe for several hours, going back and forth on my cell, before they finally dispatched a service to fix the flat. Only they needed to tow the car to a shop instead of fixing it where I was - mind you, I was in a Salisbury parking lot, not the middle of the moor, so this should not have been difficult, but...the tow truck arrived, the young man informed me he didn't have the right tyre at his shop, so he'd order the right one. This very special tyre might come in within 24 hours, maybe longer. Since I was on my way to a conference, I asked for a different car, given their inability to provide tyres. For cars. That they rent. And they said they would have to bring one from London. So, I had to buy a rail ticket, schlump my bags to the station, and stand in a full carriage for the long trip to the conference, then do the same again to leave the conference several days later. Naturally, SixtUK charged me for the flat tyre. Several phone calls later, they appeared to accept that my additional expense and wasted time were fair trades for their lack of customer service and professionalism. Case closed. But no! Two years later, Inshaal K, SixtUK's persistent claims agent, reappeared! (Perhaps they were bored during the pandemic?) The email and phone harassment began. And it went like this: Inshaal sends a form letter; I respond. Inshaal sends another form letter, ignoring my previous email; I write a response that he also ignores. Then SixtUK decided to call, leaving messages to return their call. I responded with email and text, asking them to set up a time to call me since I don't sit expectantly by my phone and don't need to incur international phone charges by buying a new phone plan. No response. Until I get the threatening letter from a law firm in Germany! It seems SixtUK uses the somewhat questionable services of Haas & Kollegen Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft to harass me now. (Their website is a payment service, so...) Not surprisingly, it took some time to contact them but they agreed to look into the matter. At the same time, SixtUK responded on Twitter, saying they were horrified by this whole story (aghast, I tell you!) and would look into it. They then responded with "We are unfortunately not able to access any information as this has been pass to the debt collector. May we request you to get in touch with them?" I pointed out this made no sense, to which they responded, "Based on the rental agreement you provided, we are unable to identify that this rental was passed to a debt collector. Please send us a screen shot of the letter" You do notice the outright lie here, I'm sure. But I did send an email, with yet another explanation, to which Dawn L responds with the same rote letter I've received before, addressing NONE of the points I've noted in my communication. And now I've received yet another bill from the law firm - sorry, debt collector. This company reneged on a verbal contract - which, if not an actual breach of the law, is a breach of ethics - after execrable service. Sixt refuses to acknowledge my communications, refuses to admit fault in their response to this situation, and continues to require excessive amounts of my time and energy in response to these claims, assumedly toward my capitulating to what constitutes harassment in order to pay monies that were long ago deemed unnecessary. Disgusting doesn't begin to describe them.

Aaron S. Orlando, FL

I had two international trips that got canceled secondary to COVID-19. When the first was canceled, SixT refused a full refund. I had to waste a great deal of my time going through my bank to obtain the refund. When the second canceled, I didn't have it in me to fight the good fight again, so I was going to take their offer for a credit. However, their stipulation was that I use the credit in the international country I had originally planned to travel to. They continued to refuse more than a 30% refund (total scam). They are raking in cash hand over fist not providing services to people and are exploiting a global pandemic. I will never use this company again and recommend saving yourself the hassle by using a better company. If there is ever a class action lawsuit against this company, I hope to be a part of it.

Samira Roberts Atlanta, GA

They wouldn’t let us use the rental in certain states (even though the website says UNLIMITED MILEAGE) and after I cancelled it that’s when everything went down the drain. They charged me card AGAIN DAYS after I canceled my rental and they didn’t not give me a full refund like I was promised . It’s WAYYYY too much back and forth with these people. Horrible customer service !!

Manuel Toronto, ON

I usually rent from Sixt or Hertz. We had a European trip planed and we had prepaid Sixt and hertz for our rental cars in different countries. Hertz reimbursed me 100% due to Covid19 and Sixt couldn’t care less that I was a loyal customer and didn’t reimburse me. Guess from now on it will be always Hertz, even if I have to pay double.

CaNe25282330 Homer City, PA

I can’t give zero stars! I canceled a reservation due to not being allowed by the government to travel. You charged me the full amount and when disputed, you sent it to collections. Here are a few issues with this..... 1. Plain disgusting corporate policies 2. Taking advantage of suffering people who have NEVER used your services. 3. Sending information to collection agencies prior to any rendering of services. 4. Once the credit card company re-submits the money to you and charges the customers, you don’t remove the collection notice and would-have-been customers deal with harassment caused by your ignorance, greed and insensitivity to the consumer. Did I say, this has all occurred prior to April 15th for a reservation NOT SCHEDULED UNTI APRIL 29th! You move fast to rip off you customers!!! By reading the reviews your customers are leaving it looks like your car rental company is going down a rocky road (no pun intended). Tough times ahead for you; consumer perception is your reality. A happy customer tells 1 person he/she was happy. An unhappy customer tells 25; this number is exponentially greater in the age of social media. So, for now I hope you use every dime you have stolen from hard-working Americans, and visitors alike, to prolong the agony of your failing industry. Until then, I, nor will HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS influenced by the sting of social media, ever use your company again. Allow me to take to my travel blog..... Wishing your criminal enterprise a slow recovery! You reap what you sow. #sixtcarrentalcrooks

Claudia Montero Atlanta, GA

So .... let me start by saying they scammed me. I had made a pre-paid reservation before the whole Covid-19 started and once we got a stay home order, I tried to cancel. They would not cancel without keeping 1/3 of the rental, which was sick to me, but I went ahead and tried to cancel to recoup at least 2/3 of what I had paid .... their reservation system would not work or recognize my reservation number so apparently my reservation was never cancelled even though I had several emails back and forth with them! Total scam and the type of company that seems to feel ok about taking advantage of this crazy situation we are in .... Sad. :(

Johnathan Kiser Orlando, FL

Avoid this company. One of the worst experiences I’ve ever had with a rental car company. I booked a BMW sedan type vehicle in advance at an incredible price point. Upon getting to the airport, I waited for 40 minutes on a shuttle that claims to run every 10 minutes. This is during the COVID pandemic, so I give them some leeway due to staffing shortages. However, when I get to the offsite location and find out that my vehicle is not available is totally unacceptable. I’m told, “Because it’s so slow, we are just giving everyone free upgrades.” I guess that means that they gave away my rental. So I ask for 1 of the 3 convertible because they literally have no other luxury sedans available. I’m told the manager said, “No” and that they will only rent an SUV to me. If I wanted an SUV and the lower gas mileage, I would have booked an SUV. I requested a sedan vehicle, and they refused to rent one of the sedans they had on their lot. So I requested a shuttle back to the airport and rented from a more reputable rental company. I cost me 1.5 hours for a lesson learned, and I’ll never make that mistake again.

Joan Rochester, NY

DO NOT RENT FROM SIXT. This company is more than awful. They are screwing over hundreds of loyal customers as they have refused to offer refunds to prepaid rental customers during the COVID-19 pandemic!!! I would rather pay hundreds more to any other company - please I implore you - do NOT give this rental company any future business!!! The customer service is non-existent. I will never never never rent from them again. Customer service is horrible.

LLM1965Canada Windsor, ON

SIXT car rental is horrible. I prepaid for a car in Phoenix in May. I’m Canadian. Border is closed. Covid19 pandemic. Can’t cancel without hefty penalty. Pissed I prepaid. SIXT is horrible and I will never book them again. I will shout from the rooftops, AVOID SIXT!

albanykk100 ,

Do NOT use this location if you are Black or Hispanic. Please use a company that values your business without regard to you race. The owner refuses to apologize or acknowledge my review. That alone says something about him. I dont want to make this long so I won't go into all the questions and comments (asked by a male) that belittled me and showed I was being judged. They assumed that I was going to let unauthorized people drive the car because I am a HARTFORD resident and not caucasian. I am aware that people do this but I don't. I am a professional who lives and works in Hartford. I was denied information regarding adding a driver. I was in a hurry so I rented the car but later that day I called because I felt discriminated against and I wanted to know the procedure. When I called spoke with another employee she very professionally told me the policy. I asked why was I denied and not given the information. She said she didnt know why but I could come back and she would add it. I'm sorry she has to work at a place where people in charge don't respect all races, backgrounds and genders. Enterprise and Hertz are fine establishments. I use them all the time and will stick with them. We need to stop supporting business in our community that don't respect the people who live here. Even if they were cheaper than competitors they will never get my business again

Helen Casserly Rochester, NY

Vikram, Khalid & Nick at (BHX) Birmingham Airport Sixt rental car provided me with EXCEPTIONAL service. My family was in crisis & my original contract with the Heathrow Airport office was misinterpreted & no longer served my needs. I arrived in an extremely distressed state, but was treated with so much empathy & compassion. They made me feel that no problem was insurmountable. I applaud Vikram, Khalid & Nick, they have ensured my loyalty to Sixt. ~ Helen Casserly ~

Jeremias Sanchez Lorain, OH

They only refunded $57 out of a $204 car rental. Won't ever do business with Sixt again. No compassion towards those affected by the Coronavirus pandemic.

Dan Campbell, CA

As many have mentioned i am in the same boat. Had a trip planned to Maui ,and because of the Covid-19 circumstances i need to cancel my car. I explained to them that since i am out of work for the next few weeks that the money cold be better used elsewhere at the moment, i.e, rent, food,bills etc. When i told the reservations department that, they told me "that's not our problem" and we do not give full refunds. ALL OTHER companies gave me a full refund back and actually said they were sorry that our vacation was canceled. I have used SIXT many times in the past but they just lost a customer for life as of today. THE WORST customer service and company i have ever dealt with in my life.

Laurence Jules Newbury Park, CA

Share review Embed review Write an update Edit review 3/23/2020 Cancelled a reservation because due to the virus and everything being closed there was no point in doing the trip to Orlando no more. They refused to refund the money and charged the FULL amount of the 2 day rental as a cancellation. I am of course disputing the charge with my credit card but what sort of company does this?!!!!!!!!!!!! There's an pandemic, I made the reservation a few weeks prior, with the beach, disney and everything fun closed there was no point and I had no issue getting my money back from any place else but Sixt rent a car