National Car Rental Logo

National Car Rental

7.3

National Car Rental is a car rental company that serves all frequent airport travelers, but especially business travelers through their Emerald Club member program. The company has locations both nationally and internationally.

The Good

• Available in All 50 States
  • Available at Most Airports
  • Instant Return
  • Roadside Assistance
  • Toll Prepay Option

Available in All 50 States

National car locations live up to its name with locations in all 50 states. Many of their competitors have fewer locations. With a location in every state, it makes planning for a trip out of town easier, knowing a National branch will be there.

Available at Most Airports

National's rental counters are at most major-and some minor-airports throughout North America. For the most part, they cannot be found outside of the airports, except in New York City, for example. Local residents may find it difficult to rent cars at major airports when competing with out of town customers.

Instant Return

National offers instant return if you are enrolled in their Emerald Club membership. It is called their "Drop and Go" feature. You get convenient email receipts and can just drop off your car and leave (if your car has not been damaged during the rental). If you're not an Emerald Club member or if your car has been damaged, you have to drop the car and keys off in person. Most companies do not offer this convenient feature.

Roadside Assistance

Roadside Assistance is offered 24/7 at $4.99 a day. This is a lower price than most rental companies, who charge at least $1-3 dollars more per day. Customers can sign up for roadside assistance online while making their reservation.

Toll Prepay Option

National lets customers order toll passes through their website during the reservation process to make their commute easier. Their toll pass device is $3.95 per day. This guarantees a toll pass is available when you arrive to pick up your vehicle. Some places make you order toll passes at time of check-in.

The Bad

• High Rental Prices
  • On-Site Fuel Discount
  • Lack of Transparency with Cancellation Policy
  • No Online Check-in Options

High Rental Prices

Economy prices with National are much higher than the industry average. National's price doesn't include additional add-ons like GPS and roadside assistance, so the overall price is much higher for economy customers.

On-Site Fuel Discount

National does not offer an on-site fuel discount, and it appears best to fuel your car on your own. On-site gas, depending on the National location and current gas prices, may end up costing you more.

Lack of Transparency with Cancellation Policy

National's cancellation policy is undisclosed. This is unusual for a car rental company. Typically car rental companies promote their cancellation policy on their website. The cancellation policy is an important factor to consider when renting a car or making an online reservation, so customers having to contact the company to ask about their policy is not appropriate. All the necessary rental policy information should be available without having to contact the company.

No Online Check-in Options

There is no online check-in option at this time. You can provide your driver information when you are using the online reservation tool, but there is still a check-in process at the counter with National Car Rental.

The Bottom Line

National Car Rental can be found in most airport locations, and is upfront about the total price of the rental when making a reservation. Economy car renters are recommended to look at other rental options, as National's prices are significantly higher. The company has stellar reviews and is clearly a trusted brand by its customers.

Chris Milke Olney, MD

Like the simplicity of car pickup at most airports. However, when I need a specific size car/SUV it's sometimes difficult to get what I need when arriving late at night. Suggest option for guaranteed car class (as an alternate to picking from Emerald aisle)

Van M. Orem, UT

They had good service, the car worked well and the cost was comparable. I would like it more if they picked you up though.

Daniel Snow Redmond, WA

I am a very loyal Emerald Club member. National isn’t always the cheapest, but I always have my choice of great vehicles at a reasonable price, and by far the most seamless reservation and pick up/drop off process of any rental car company. When I was in wreck in one of their cars and late for my flight, they worked super fast and helped me get to my flight in time and wrapped up the insurance questions quickly the next day when I had time.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

I have used National when I travel. I have always used them as a rental at an airport. I alway compare prices on mass car rental sites and use National when they have the best prices of deals on the car that I need. I have always found there cars to be in good shape and quality.

Chelsea Snow Eagle Mountain, UT

on a last-minute trip to San Diego we used National Car Rental. they made renting a car quick and easy. the minivan we selected had great gas millage and was comfortable for my family and I .

Mike Curtis Guyton, GA

I love the emerald aisle. I walk out of the terminal, walk up to the car I pick, and drive away. Service and speed are always excellent on return. Good selection of quality cars. I once had a tree fall on my car in a hotel lot. National was easy to deal with.

noelle peter Emmaus, PA

1. FRAUDULENT Claims of damage 8 days after returning the car in perfect condition 2. Images are not time stamped and could have been from an employee or another customer 3. Representative inspected the car with me at time of drop off with no issues reported 6 weeks after drop off being accused of over $2k worth of damage 4. DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY!!

Scott Harrisonburg, VA

I travel for work twice a month. I always go with national. It's easy to find a car and always have nice cars

James Cuber San Francisco, CA

I have been a long-time National Car Rental customer, but this is my first time at this location. What a disaster. Was given a car with a quarter tank of gas to begin with. When it was returned, there was a mysterious paint scratch on the side (that was likely there when I picked it up). The attendant said no issue, but then the next day I was charged $500 to my CC. No walk through was done prior, so apparently policy is their word against mine. When asked for proof that this was even $500 worth of "damage", no evidence could be provided. Completely different experience than at other locations.

Patrick Curry Salt Lake City, UT

We've used this car rental for our company and it's been great. They've been easy to work with and fast service. Our company takes a lot of work trips and always need rentals and this service has been great to work with

Dayna Salt Lake City, UT

National Car Rental has always been great to work with. Our cars are always clean and in great working condition.

Steve Jones Riverton, UT

National is by far my favorite place to rent cars from. They are super helpful and treat me like a king because I'm an Emerald Club member. I have been very pleased with both the car selection and customer service to date and highly recommend

Myken Salt Lake City, UT

We used National Car Rental to rent a car for a California Trip. It was located at the airport which was convenient and the service was fast and friendly. Our car was great and the overall experience was excellent.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

I’ve rented a few cars from national car rental. The cars were very clean and got an excellent deal. The staff were very professional and easy to work with.

take7 Sandy, UT

Check in to check out process is smooth and quick. They greet you and let you go as quickly as possible. Almost always get the class car we signed up for and even can upgrade a few times. Cars are nice and clean.

Adria Riverton, UT

Travel a ton and always use national. Love that I can just walk up and grab a car. Super fast and easy

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

National Car Rental is my favorite car rental agency at it has the cleanest and newest cars available. They go the extra mile to ensure a perfect fit in rental car options. I like the occasional upgrades too. Overall, I am completely impressed with my National Car Rental experience every time.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

National Car Rental has always given us the lowest prices and the best selection of rental cars. They have speedy checkouts and easy reservation systems. their staff is helpful and friendly. Can't lose with National Car Rental.

Chip

Easy to work with. Very flexible with schedules. They have a program where you can prearrange the rental and you can walk right past any counters and get in and drive away without delay.

Reckholdt Draper, UT

We rented a car on one of our trips from National. The car seemed a little older and worn than most rental cars but it was sufficient.

PessoaJ Herriman, UT

We rented from National when we went to Hawaii a couple months ago. The attendant was great, He was quick at getting our reservation pulled up And getting us in our car. Our car was great too.

Larson Riverton, UT

I like that they have several locations. Yeah great customer service.

Tom Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used National on occasion and have been happy with their service. The cars are clean and in good condition and their pricing is fair. Sometimes I havenot found their availability as good as others with respect to the car I needed but that is my only concern. I would use them again if the price was right.

Jon Posey Riverton, UT

National is by far my favorite car rental provider. The emerald club is a great rewards system. I love being able to just grab a car and go. Not the cheapest but well worth it.

Todd Homitz Evans City, PA

Love the choices for cars and the entire process to rent a car is extremely simple.

Tony Riverton, UT

Always had good experiences with National. Cars have been clean, check-in/out is fast, and staff is friendly.

bailey jo Orem, UT

Almost every time I've gone on a business trip, I've used their services. They are affordable and always have a great selection.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

Ironically, I have only used National Car Rental internationally. They are in almost every train station in Europe which is super convenient. They are always well prices, especially on one way rentals.

Anne Burns Goleta, CA

Always easy pick up and return. Clean pick the one you want vehicles. We only rent from National.

Don Boren American Fork, UT

Cars are clean and ready to go at the agreed upon pick up time. Customer service reps at the counter were kind. I like the option to check-in at the automated kiosk if you want to.

Kristiane R Durfey Pleasant Grove, UT

National is by far my favorite car rental company. I love that they will let me pick my choice of car from their selection. The fact that I can walk up, pick my car and then drive out is very convenient. Love the selection of cars as well.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used National Car Rental many times and they have great prices and a good selection of cars. I usually go with the cheapest and smallest, and they seem to have the best options in that range.

Nick P.

If I could National a ZERO I would. I reserved a car online (Nationalcar.com) for 8 days overseas in Skathos, Greece. we wanted to go to another island so I called before my rental and asked if I could change my rental to 2 days instead. I was told on multiple occasions from National North America that I would receive a refund for the 6 days I did not use. I have been calling for a month and all they keep saying is that they will refer it to their licensee/franchisee who NEVER answers and they cannot do anything until they answer. A TOTAL SCAM!!!! Don't ever rent from National Car overseas. I will advise my company to find a new car rental vendor!!

Jeremy Balls Kaysville, UT

I have had nothing but good experiences with National. Their cars are clean, fully fueled, and don't stink of smoke. I would use them again.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used National Car Rental many times and I usually go through a travel site that pulls up comparisons and National Car is the lowest price many times and they also provide quality cars that are easy to pick up and drop off. I usually choose based on price, but even at the lowest price they treat me like I'm their best customer and thanks.

Ron Durfey Pleasant Grove, UT

Loved National. Unfortunately when I switched employers I was forced to use Avis. I like Avis but really like the option from National of picking my car and going.

Kristin G Pleasant Grove, UT

We use national Rent-A-Car when we arrived in Orlando Florida. We only had one agent helping but it went fairly quickly getting the car we needed. The car was clean and efficient .

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I'm an executive elite member for national and have been for 4 years now. It is my 1st choice of rental cars when I do travel, which is a lot. I love the counter bypass & the car availability for us elite members. The ability to reserve and then cancel cars free of charge is one of my favorite features of being an executive elite member. As a person who travels a lot, I also cancel a lot of trips as well, so it is very convenient to not be charged when I have to change my travel. The National mobile app is also very helpful. Very easy to book, cancel & edit my reservations right from it.

Allen Filson West Palm Beach, FL

It is with dismay that I must take my business elsewhere. I made a recent rental in Erie, Pennsylvania only to arrive on an American Airline flight to find no car. I had made the reservation two months earlier. When I called the “Customer Support” number I was told, “Sorry there is nothing we can do for you.” When I asked to speak to a supervisor I received the same response. I rent over 40 days a year with National and you could care less that you stranded me and my wife at the airport. I walked to the Avis counter and found myself a car, and while I was there signed up for their preferred program, and will take all of my business to them. It is sad that your “customer service” is not really service at all. It would have been easy for you to arrange a car for me had you cared about the situation you placed me and my wife in. Your lack of caring, your lake of response to multiple phone calls, and your overall lack of customer service has cost you my business. I am only one person, but I suspect there are many more out there that you have shown the same lack of concern towards. In a service industry, customer service should be the focus of what you do; rather you choose to ignore customers who you have put in bad situations. It is for this reason I happily take my business elsewhere.

Karen Nelson Alpine, UT

National is a solid company with a great reputation. We have never had any problems with this company. It is a very well-oiled machine." They have well-trained employees.

Dale Ash Sandy, UT

Although I no longer travel for business, I continue to utilize National whenever possible. I love their Emerald Aisle service. Frequently, because I was an Emerald Club member, I could upgrade to a bigger car without extra cost. The service was quick and effective. Just go out to the lot with your luggage, pick the car you like the best, and drive out after checking in with the attendant. I very rarely had to stand in line. They had attendants with mini-computers check us in during drop off. For a busy traveler, this was time saving and stress reducing! National won me over for life!

Chuck Stiggins Provo, UT

Price is a little high, the facility is always clean and organized!

Sylvia Herriman

hi my name is Tom, I am giving you a rating o .you charged us $1000 for vehicle damage, which was untrue. A cleaning fee of $250.00. concession recoup fee of $702.06 unbeleivable that this is how you run your bussiness. WE tell everyone we see and tell them to stay away from you