Hertz Logo

Hertz

8.5

LAST UPDATED: September 9th, 2021

Founded in 1918, Hertz is one of the oldest car rental companies in the business. It is also the largest car rental company in the United States. Hertz developed the low-floor passenger bus that is used by many transit authorities in large cities. It even has heavy equipment available for construction and other ventures. Hertz also has a popular car-sharing program. At most major colleges and universities throughout the country, Hertz offers a 24/7 rental with a Hertz car share station.

The Good

• High availability
  • Instant return
  • Toll prepay option

Economy Price Range

Hertz offers economy car rentals for average industry prices. Hertz's main advantage is that the company is in all 50 states, so although Hertz's prices may not be as competitive as some in companies in the industry, it has a high availability throughout the country.

Luxury Price Range

Luxury cars with Hertz are average in the industry. Many competitors have higher daily rates than Hertz. Hertz offers a luxury line it calls "Dream Cars"—a unique selection of world-class automobiles available at select locations in the U.S. These include performance and luxury cars such as Porsche, Mercedes-Benz AMG, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, and many more. Every Dream Car rental includes special services such as in-person greetings at the airport, personal orientations to the cars, and delivery/pickup. This makes the price well worth it.

States Available

Hertz locations can be found in all 50 states. It is also in the District of Columbia. Recently, Hertz relocated its corporate headquarters from Park Ridge, New Jersey to Estero, Florida. Hertz operates locations in 145 countries. Domestically, Hertz has more than 3,210 locations throughout the United States, with an additional of 1,215 locations worldwide.

Airports Locations

Hertz has locations in all 50 states and in Canada. Hertz has rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. This makes finding a Hertz very easy and convenient.

Instant Return

Hertz has a beneficial rewards program called Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, which offers an instant return option for members. This allows you to return the car without waiting in line by letting you drop off the car, and leaving the keys inside the vehicle. If you are not a rewards member, you have to return the car the traditional way. One could argue that the company should make this option available to non-members as well, but this feature offers an incentive for signing up for a membership, which is free.

Toll Prepay Option

Hertz offers a toll prepay option called PlatePass, which allows you to order a toll pass through Platepass' website to make your commute easier. If you use PlatePass, you will be charged a $4.95 service fee for each day of the rental. Compared to some of Hertz's competitors, this is a low price for this service. Some companies also don't allow customers to prepay; they have to ask at the counter for a toll pass when they check in, which means toll passes may all be taken.

Online Check-In

Hertz has an online check-in option. By providing a driver's license number and date of birth, a customer can use the express kiosk or counter at any Hertz station. This is a great convenience to customers and helps to reduce the amount of wait time.

The Bad

• Roadside Assistance
  • Cancellation Policies
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

Roadside Assistance

Hertz offers Basic Emergency Roadside Assistance with each rental, which covers the mechanical defects of the vehicle only. It also offers premium roadside assistance, which covers mechanical issues plus keys locked in the car, lost key service, dead battery, out of gas service, spare tire mounting service, $1,000 travel interruption cost reimbursement, and a one-hour roadside service guarantee. Both options are available to renters 24/7. There are two issues with Hertz's roadside assistance: the price for both options is not disclosed until you rent the car, and roadside service is split into two options, where most companies offer basic roadside service that covers both mechanical and more. Hertz, however, offers these basic services for more money than most rental companies with their premier roadside assistance package.

Cancellation Policies

Customers who have prepaid for the reservation have to pay a $50 cancellation fee. If a prepay customer cancels within 24 hours there is a $100 cancellation fee. If there is a no-show, customers have to forfeit the entire amount they prepaid. These prepaid cancellation fees are steep, but it appears to go with the territory of prepaying for rentals.

On-Site Fuel Discount

Hertz does not offer customers an on-site fuel discount. It only offers a prepay fueling option. Since there is no incentive to use fuel on-site, it appears best to return the car fully refueled.

The Bottom Line

Hertz is a household brand name for rental cars with locations in all 50 states, offering customers a wide variety of vehicle choices. Customers are recommended to consider becoming a Hertz Gold Plus Member. Sign up is free and there are many perks, especially the instant return option that saves customers from having to wait in line to return their vehicle. Hertz also offers an online check-in option, and instant returns. Hertz is a great option to consider when choosing a car rental company.

4.0

Cris Balmanno Riverton, UT

Experiences seem to differ by location. Not every car has been properly maintained, and more than once I've been given a car that has glaring defects/problems, but when I try and swap out for a different car there aren't any available. Maybe cars that have issues shouldn't be getting rented out...

KayCee Belka Derby, KS

We have generally had a good experience renting from Hertz. Recently, however, we rented from Hertz while we traveled overseas, and it was a mess. To be fair, we did get to drive well-maintained (and even one brand new) vehicles, and they worked perfectly well for what we needed. That being said, we had expected to pay a certain rate and were flabbergasted when the total ended up being more than double what we expected to pay. The customer service was not helpful upon returning our vehicle at one of the locations we rented from, and we were not provided receipt or confirmation from them for the return, even after we requested it. Everything turned out okay, but we will be careful when we rent cars from Hertz in the future, especially overseas.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

Hertz is a good company to rent a car from if it is popular in the area. Some of the Hertz have low vehicle stock if it is a smaller location and that can be difficult to get larger cars.

Mike Salt Lake City, UT

Hertz is fine overall but I have found they are always more expensive. If there costumer service was head and shoulders above the rest maybe but they're not.

Sandra Dubas Salt Lake City, UT

I usually prefer their service over other car rentals. Their prices are decent and their employees are nice. The cars we rented from them in the past are always clean and in good condition.

mccandless24 Kaysville, UT

I don't travel a lot but when I do and can find a good deal I have always been very happy with Hertz. They are very organized and get you a vehicle in a fast and orderly way. The only issue is I can't find deals very often and I wish I could because its always been a great experience.

Customer Saratoga Springs, UT

They were out of cars when we arrived and gave us an upgrade but we didn’t want that. They had major staffing issues in Oakland. Long lines and then when returned car early in the morning the lady was more concerned about feeding her car then helping me. Computers were also down.

Tom Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

When I have used Hertz I have found their customer service god and their cars to be good quality. They often offer complementary upgrades which makes it nice to deal with them. Their locations are also often near local airports which is handy. The only negative would be that sometimes their pricing can be a bit higher than others.

Tess L Provo, UT

The online stuff didn't quite help us understand how much we would be paying since we are under age 24. Maybe I'll would have been clearer if we had done more research, but we were surprised. Other than that things were easy enough!

Isaac Kaysville, UT

Last time I rented a car from hertz, it was really dusty and dirty so my wife kept sneezing. I was not impressed with how they cleaned the car for us. And I was pretty disappointed because we haven’t had much trouble with them before.

Tracy Hill Draper, UT

Hertz didn’t have the car we were renting for the weekend when we got there. We had to wait around for hours to get a giant van. We had to change a lot of our plans because of it. I understand that things like this can happen but it was inconvenient and unprofessional.

Logan Hudson Norcross, GA

Hertz has a subpar rental service. The prices are high and the cars sometimes have leftover trash. The customer service hs been helpful at the least. Not a highly recommended service

Melissa Reinoso Herriman, UT

They seemed like they were trying to push us along and to get done with us as quickly as possible. They need to have an option for a mid size on their website not just a small suv and large suv.

Heather Chen Ithaca, NY

Very good customer service but I had to have a credit card to add another driver

Julie Firkins Orem, UT

I was really impressed with hertz, the car was actually ready to go and very clean inside, the customer service was great,

Max Winkel Lindon, UT

Cars are good. I didn't rent for a year and they expired 12 years worth of points. Uncool! They couldn't wait to expire them.

MiKE McWilliams Little Rock, AR

Never competitive in rental rates. Therefore, have not used in over 30 years. Sorry they are having financial problems

Jon Posey Riverton, UT

Hertz is a good, competitively priced rental option. I would put them just below the top but well above the lower cheaper options.

Spencer Morris (Logan) Riverton, UT

Hertz is ok to me. Always have vehicles but the prices always seem to be just higher

Todd Homitz Evans City, PA

Prices are up there with their competition. I just don't think they have a great selection cars to choose from.

Brenda Spanish Fork, UT

I rented a car from Hertz and I was a bit disappointed in there service when I was picking up the car.

tayloralexis Glendora, CA

Used this for my trip to washington. The car I had had terrible alignment issues.

Kayla Bountiful, UT

Usually a reasonable value with good customer service. Employees very helpful and pleasant