Founded in 1918, Hertz is one of the oldest car rental companies in the business. It is also the largest car rental company in the United States. Hertz developed the low-floor passenger bus that is used by many transit authorities in large cities. They even have heavy equipment available for construction and other ventures. Hertz also has a popular car-sharing program. At most major colleges and universities throughout the country, Hertz offers a 24/7 rental with a Hertz car share station.

The Good

• High availability
  • Instant return
  • Toll prepay option

Economy Price Range

Hertz offers economy car rentals for average industry prices. Hertz's main advantage is that the company is in all 50 states, so although Hertz's prices may not be as competitive as some in companies in the industry, they have a high availability throughout the country.

Luxury Price Range

Luxury cars with Hertz are average in the industry. Many competitors have higher daily rates than Hertz. Hertz offers a luxury line they call "Dream Cars"—a unique selection of world-class automobiles available at select locations in the U.S. These include performance and luxury cars such as Porsche, Mercedes-Benz AMG, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, and many more. Every Dream Car rental includes special services such as in-person greetings at the airport, personal orientations to the cars, and delivery/pickup. This makes the price well worth it.

States Available

Hertz locations can be found in all 50 states. They are also in the District of Columbia. Recently, Hertz relocated its corporate headquarters from Park Ridge, New Jersey to Estero, Florida. Hertz operates locations in 145 countries. Domestically, Hertz has more than 3,210 locations throughout the United States, with an additional of 1,215 locations worldwide.

Airports Locations

Hertz has locations in all 50 states and in Canada. Hertz has rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. This makes finding a Hertz very easy and convenient.

Instant Return

Hertz has a beneficial rewards program called Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, which offers an instant return option for members. This allows you to return the car without waiting in line by letting you drop off the car, and leaving the keys inside the vehicle. If you are not a rewards member, you have to return the car the traditional way. One could argue that the company should make this option available to non-members as well, but this feature offers an incentive for signing up for a membership, which is free.

Toll Prepay Option

Hertz offers a toll prepay option called PlatePass, which allows you to order a toll pass through Platepass' website to make your commute easier. If you use PlatePass, you will be charged a $4.95 service fee for each day of the rental. Compared to some of Hertz's competitors, this is a low price for this service. Some companies also don't allow customers to prepay; they have to ask at the counter for a toll pass when they check in, which means toll passes may all be taken.

Online Check-In

Hertz has an online check-in option. By providing a driver's license number and date of birth, a customer can use the express kiosk or counter at any Hertz station. This is a great convenience to customers and helps to reduce the amount of wait time.

The Bad

• Basic roadside assistance issues
  • No on-site fuel discount

Roadside Assistance

Hertz offers Basic Emergency Roadside Assistance with each rental - which covers the mechanical defects of the vehicle only. They also offer premium roadside assistance, which covers mechanical issues plus keys locked in the car, lost key service, dead battery, out of gas service, spare tire mounting service, $1,000 travel interruption cost reimbursement, and a one-hour roadside service guarantee. Both options are available to renters 24/7.

There are two issues with Hertz's roadside assistance: the price for both options is not disclosed until you rent the car, and roadside service is split into two options, where most companies offer basic roadside service that covers both mechanical and more. Hertz, however, offers these basic services for more money than most rental companies with their premier roadside assistance package.

Cancellation Policies

Customers who have prepaid for the reservation have to pay a $50 cancellation fee. If a prepay customer cancels within 24 hours there is a $100 cancellation fee. If there is a no-show, customers have to forfeit the entire amount they prepaid. These prepaid cancellation fees are steep, but it appears to go with the territory of prepaying for rentals.

On-Site Fuel Discount

Hertz does not offer customers an on-site fuel discount. They only offer a prepay fueling option. Since there is no incentive to use fuel on-site, it appears best to return the car fully refueled.

The Bottom Line

Hertz is a household brand name for rental cars with locations in all 50 states, offering customers a wide variety of vehicle choices. Customers are recommended to consider becoming a Hertz Gold Plus Member. Sign up is free and there are many perks, especially the instant return option that saves customers from having to wait in line to return their vehicle. Hertz also offers an online check-in option, and instant returns. Hertz is a great option to consider when choosing a car rental company.

3.9

chris Francom

January 29th, 2020 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like that I can just walk out to pick a car at most airports. I rent about 8 times per year and it’s an easy convenient process with Hertz Gold.

Cam McClellan

January 27th, 2020 Magna, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hertz has been a good company to work with. I have rented cars from them a few times and actually bought a car from them as well and all my experiences have been good.

Kathy Trout

January 16th, 2020 New Orleans, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The 2 times I have tried to use this company through my insurance, I was severely disappointed. They had no cars available and were borderline rude. My insurance offered a discounted rate to use Hertz. However, I would rather pay a little extra money for exceptional service with Enterprise than try to use Hertz again.

Laurie Massie

January 14th, 2020 Lakeland, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hertz has always had the car I needed- when I needed it! It’s nice to know there’s a rental company I can depend on!

Mickey Mangum

January 13th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've rented form Hertz several times and the cars are always clean and in good working order. The only issue I had was being ticketed for tolls in California but that was not Hertz fault. Good company.

DAVID HADAWAY

January 10th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently rented a car with Hertz and couldnt have happier. Customer service was awesome!

Michelle W

December 15th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I traveled to san diego in the prior year and while there I used hertz to rent a car for a few days. They were very helpful in providing me with what I needed and in my price range.

Sara Smith

December 8th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always had a great experience except one time when one employee was not helpful at all and left a bad taste for us. The cars have always been great though.

Larson

December 5th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have use them on and off over the years. I feel like they’ve satisfied my needs. Hertz is a very good company. It's has very good services. The customer service is great. I definitely recommend them to others if you are looking at renting a car.

Tom Gourley

November 27th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I have used Hertz I have found their customer service god and their cars to be good quality. They often offer complementary upgrades which makes it nice to deal with them. Their locations are also often near local airports which is handy. The only negative would be that sometimes their pricing can be a bit higher than others.

Martha Gourley

November 27th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have used Hertz many times for my husband's travel. The cars are clean and always run well. Hertz makes it easy to pick-up a rental and they are quick to get you on the road.

Daphne Brown

November 25th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good experience with a pretty slick setup. The price is a little higher than I want to pay but I can't complain at the walk out and drive away.

Jon Posey

November 19th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hertz is a good, competitively priced rental option. I would put them just below the top but well above the lower cheaper options.

Spencer Morris (Logan)

November 18th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hertz is ok to me. Always have vehicles but the prices always seem to be just higher

Todd Homitz

November 17th, 2019 Evans City, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Prices are up there with their competition. I just don't think they have a great selection cars to choose from.

Kathryn Robinson

November 16th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the ease and convenience of using Hertz rental car. They make it very easy to get to the rental car location from the airport terminal.

Sara S

November 15th, 2019 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hertz is really bad about telling their customers about their fees. For instance, they charged me twice for a rental vehicle overseas. They also make you pay extra for "insurance" that isn't necessary- just another way to make $. I would try to rent a car from somewhere else if you can.

Megan A McEvoy

November 15th, 2019 Tallahassee, FL

My family always uses Hertz as our rental car service when we go on vacations. We also used this service when I moved to go to college, since we had to fly and then drive to my school. They were able to accommodate us by giving us a car that fit all of my belongings within twenty minutes of arriving at their desk in the airport. They are a very reliable rental car service.

Angelica Dela Cruz

November 12th, 2019 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My mom and I always use Hertz to rent a car when traveling. The service is always good, my only complaint is how there is sometimes a long line.

Eric Smith

November 6th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We rented a car prior to going on a cruise and when we dropped it off they even had a shuttle to take us to our cruise port. Great service provided.

Rilynne Edwards

November 5th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great company. The staff was very kind and gave us tips on the city we were visting. We were upgraded free of charge which was great. The car was clean, ran well, and worked perfectly. They maintain their cars very well.

Tom M

November 4th, 2019 Holmdel, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recommend Hertz to anyone needing to rent a car. Hertz is usually the first company I look for when I need a vehicle. They have a vanity of vehicles available and different costs that fit my needs at the time. I also find it convenient that when I fly they usually have a link to reserve a vehicle from Hertz. This has been very convenient for me.

bailey jo

October 14th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Wonderful customer service. I had to rent the car due to some repairs that were needed on my car and when they took longer than expected, Hertz was very helpful in extending my rental time.

Rischelle Mikkelson

October 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like to use Hertz when I travel because their location is always on airport or just a short shuttle away from the airport. Their check in process is quick and easy and their staff member are polite.

Shawn

October 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hertz has always been reliable and easy to work with. Cars of well maintained and nice to drive

KayCee Belka

October 11th, 2019 Derby, KS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have generally had a good experience renting from Hertz. Recently, however, we rented from Hertz while we traveled overseas, and it was a mess. To be fair, we did get to drive well-maintained (and even one brand new) vehicles, and they worked perfectly well for what we needed. That being said, we had expected to pay a certain rate and were flabbergasted when the total ended up being more than double what we expected to pay. The customer service was not helpful upon returning our vehicle at one of the locations we rented from, and we were not provided receipt or confirmation from them for the return, even after we requested it. Everything turned out okay, but we will be careful when we rent cars from Hertz in the future, especially overseas.

Alyssa Boren

October 10th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The cars were clean and in great condition the whole time we used it. The employees were always patient and kind.

Ellen Morris

October 9th, 2019 Potomac, MD

Renting cars from Hertz is great. I was raised in a family where we always rented from Hertz and there were never any hiccups. They are respectful towards customers and usually give an upgrade if you're a loyal customer.

Don Boren

October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Cars are always clean and well maintained. Never had a mechanical problem. Reservations are easy and convenient to do online. People at the desk are kind and considerate.

Amy Boren

October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It was a little more expensive than others but we got the car we wanted. We waited at the desk for a little longer than I liked but once we got the keys we got out of their easily. The car ran great and smelled fine. over all a good experience.

Kristiane R Durfey

October 8th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Hertz for car rentals and they were good. Price was competitive and they were conveniently located. Car selection was good.

Jami Howell

October 7th, 2019 Farmington, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My car needed repairs for a few days and they were quick and easy to work with. When we needed to extend an extra day over the weekend, their drop of policy was easy and they were very helpful.

Jaime

October 2nd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had good experiences renting cars from Hertz. We've gotten the type of car we requested, and everything has gone smoothly.

Joy Hill

September 30th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always good service here - one of the only places I trust to get my reservation right and not make the check in experience last way longer than necessary

Ted Johnson

September 22nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hertz is my number 1 rental car company. I love their programs, especially the Hertz Gold Club and all the benefits of it. I like to choose the car I want and this is a feature I love. Great rates and they are everywhere.

D.R.

September 9th, 2019 Moreno Valley, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Book a rental at Hertz weeks before my daughters wedding for a premium large SUV. The website said I would get a Yukon or "similar" we'll after waiting 1 hour in waiting room they offered me a non-premium SUV that smelled like weed and had bad wear & tear to it. I asked if they had something else, this is for a weeding, the sales person pretended to call someone then said no this is all we have. Then he quickly tried to process the transaction and he also increased the charge by adding "LDW" a special insurance they have for their cars w/out even asking me. I asked why the price doubled he said everyone gets this insurance and I would feel safer with it. I should of paid attention to the reviews...THIS PARTICULAR LOCATION SUCKS! Hertz almost ruined my daughters wedding LUCKILY, Avis car rental at the Moreno Valley mall saved the day! Gave me a brand new SUV, premium with all sorts of discounts...Thanks Andy! Its crazy because I rented a Jaguar at the Riverside, CA location with outstanding customer service. But dealing w/ the Moreno Valley branch has made me change to a different rental company for now on.

kristin Gneiting

September 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hertz is my first choice in car rentals. The main reason is that there is no one better at getting you in and on your way, and then at the end checking you back in and getting you on your way. I am a Gold Member and there is nothing better than having your name in lights, picking out the car that I want and then getting rewarded for my business.

Darrin Henry

September 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used Hertz while my husband was out of town and needed a car quick and they had a great rate and just what we needed for a last minute reservation.

Robertos

July 23rd, 2019 Reno, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Nice and polite staff. News cars. A very nice experience, though the prices are high.

C B

July 4th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used them last week while traveling, excellent service and price for the rental.

Olivia LeBaron

June 23rd, 2019 Delta, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hertz is generally pleasant and easy to work with. The staff are friendly, and everything went smoothly. Fair price.

Kaitlin Ashcroft

June 20th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Went on a girls trip a few months ago a rent a car through Hertz. We got our car and after being in a for a few minutes we decided we wanted to switch. It smelled like someone had smoked in it. They helped us out and made it so easy to find a different car that was perfect for us and our trip! Enjoyed using this company

Tess L

June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The online stuff didn't quite help us understand how much we would be paying since we are under age 24. Maybe I'll would have been clearer if we had done more research, but we were surprised. Other than that things were easy enough!

Brenda

June 9th, 2019 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I rented a car from Hertz and I was a bit disappointed in there service when I was picking up the car.

Rebecca

June 8th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have great service. They take AAA, which gets rid of the under age fee and gives you a discount too. Loved this place

Isaac

June 8th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Last time I rented a car from hertz, it was really dusty and dirty so my wife kept sneezing. I was not impressed with how they cleaned the car for us. And I was pretty disappointed because we haven’t had much trouble with them before.

Marissa

June 7th, 2019 Redwood Falls, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hertz is my go-to car rental service. They almost always have the best price and they don't have exorbitant fees like a lot of other car services do.

susie

June 7th, 2019 Kaysville, UT

me and my family have always used hertz for traveling when we get rental cars. because they always have the best service and best prices. and the nicest cars that work for us.

Greg Hanold

June 6th, 2019 Batesville, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My wife left her GPS in the car upon returning it. Several hours later she received a call from the counter in Fort Wayne Airport that the GPS was found and would be mailed to her. It was never sent and follows up calls to the counter (I spoke with Dan) are always a waste of time. I'm told someone will call and they never do. The place employs THIEVES AND LIARS.

Kelsie Gleason

June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I always rent my vehicles through hertz. They compete with prices competitively and if you ask a sales associate for help, they can make the impossible happen!