Hertz Logo

Hertz

8.6

Founded in 1918, Hertz is one of the oldest car rental companies in the business. It is also the largest car rental company in the United States. Hertz developed the low-floor passenger bus that is used by many transit authorities in large cities. It even has heavy equipment available for construction and other ventures. Hertz also has a popular car-sharing program. At most major colleges and universities throughout the country, Hertz offers a 24/7 rental with a Hertz car share station.

The Good

• High availability
  • Instant return
  • Toll prepay option

Economy Price Range

Hertz offers economy car rentals for average industry prices. Hertz's main advantage is that the company is in all 50 states, so although Hertz's prices may not be as competitive as some in companies in the industry, it has a high availability throughout the country.

Luxury Price Range

Luxury cars with Hertz are average in the industry. Many competitors have higher daily rates than Hertz. Hertz offers a luxury line it calls "Dream Cars"—a unique selection of world-class automobiles available at select locations in the U.S. These include performance and luxury cars such as Porsche, Mercedes-Benz AMG, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, and many more. Every Dream Car rental includes special services such as in-person greetings at the airport, personal orientations to the cars, and delivery/pickup. This makes the price well worth it.

States Available

Hertz locations can be found in all 50 states. It is also in the District of Columbia. Recently, Hertz relocated its corporate headquarters from Park Ridge, New Jersey to Estero, Florida. Hertz operates locations in 145 countries. Domestically, Hertz has more than 3,210 locations throughout the United States, with an additional of 1,215 locations worldwide.

Airports Locations

Hertz has locations in all 50 states and in Canada. Hertz has rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. This makes finding a Hertz very easy and convenient.

Instant Return

Hertz has a beneficial rewards program called Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, which offers an instant return option for members. This allows you to return the car without waiting in line by letting you drop off the car, and leaving the keys inside the vehicle. If you are not a rewards member, you have to return the car the traditional way. One could argue that the company should make this option available to non-members as well, but this feature offers an incentive for signing up for a membership, which is free.

Toll Prepay Option

Hertz offers a toll prepay option called PlatePass, which allows you to order a toll pass through Platepass' website to make your commute easier. If you use PlatePass, you will be charged a $4.95 service fee for each day of the rental. Compared to some of Hertz's competitors, this is a low price for this service. Some companies also don't allow customers to prepay; they have to ask at the counter for a toll pass when they check in, which means toll passes may all be taken.

Online Check-In

Hertz has an online check-in option. By providing a driver's license number and date of birth, a customer can use the express kiosk or counter at any Hertz station. This is a great convenience to customers and helps to reduce the amount of wait time.

The Bad

• Roadside Assistance
  • Cancellation Policies
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

Roadside Assistance

Hertz offers Basic Emergency Roadside Assistance with each rental, which covers the mechanical defects of the vehicle only. It also offers premium roadside assistance, which covers mechanical issues plus keys locked in the car, lost key service, dead battery, out of gas service, spare tire mounting service, $1,000 travel interruption cost reimbursement, and a one-hour roadside service guarantee. Both options are available to renters 24/7. There are two issues with Hertz's roadside assistance: the price for both options is not disclosed until you rent the car, and roadside service is split into two options, where most companies offer basic roadside service that covers both mechanical and more. Hertz, however, offers these basic services for more money than most rental companies with their premier roadside assistance package.

Cancellation Policies

Customers who have prepaid for the reservation have to pay a $50 cancellation fee. If a prepay customer cancels within 24 hours there is a $100 cancellation fee. If there is a no-show, customers have to forfeit the entire amount they prepaid. These prepaid cancellation fees are steep, but it appears to go with the territory of prepaying for rentals.

On-Site Fuel Discount

Hertz does not offer customers an on-site fuel discount. It only offers a prepay fueling option. Since there is no incentive to use fuel on-site, it appears best to return the car fully refueled.

The Bottom Line

Hertz is a household brand name for rental cars with locations in all 50 states, offering customers a wide variety of vehicle choices. Customers are recommended to consider becoming a Hertz Gold Plus Member. Sign up is free and there are many perks, especially the instant return option that saves customers from having to wait in line to return their vehicle. Hertz also offers an online check-in option, and instant returns. Hertz is a great option to consider when choosing a car rental company.

4.0

Anya Lee Jacksonville, FL

Hertz rentals are budget friendly and easy to book. With locations around the city it gives me options for pick up locations that are in close proximity to me.

Megan Milke Laurel, MD

Hertz is the ONLY company I use to rent cars on vacation. They have amazing customer service that is 100% willing to help me whenever I need. Their cars are also very high quality too!

Jenetta E Provo, UT

Really easy process to rent with Hertz, I loved that they were right by the airport, had a convenient shuttle and had such great customer service.

Chris Milke Olney, MD

Gold customer that appreciates reliability of getting the reserved vehicle without waiting. Not as familiar with newer selecting vehicle on site (now at some airports) but will get more familiar with it once my business travel picks back up (post pandemic).

Trish Weems

I've been renting off and on from Hertz since 2007. I've had an overall better than average experience with the company with the exception of a few incidents that I immediately emailed two different CEOs, John Tague and now Kathryn Marinello. In my opinion, when a CEO replaces a former CEO and gets a million dollar plus salary, he needs to be aware of the negative aspects of the company and fix what isn't working. Sometimes CEOs are so full of themselves and lazy thinking the underlings will handle the issues which they do poorly and those were the basis of my many complaints during Tague's two year tenure. Then, also the district manager Christine whose last name I don't recall dropped the ball a lot in addressing complaints. However, when the two representatives in the Chatsworth California office were hired, Alfredo Palmeque and Emmanuel Onenum, things changed..they are so professional and accomodating they changed the office even though there were still onlinecomplaints from local renters who Manny and Alfredo said were difficult and I know for a fact these two will do whatever it takes to make things right with the customer. After many surveys following my rentals begging corporate to make either Alfredo or Manny manager of the location it finally happened and then a third guy was hired and this location is perfect..I love it.

Christopher Milke Olney, MD

My go to rental company when on travel. Gold service is the best. During COVid the check out process at many airports has slowed dramatically.

Van M. Orem, UT

They are always good service but they seem to be a little higher price than other companies I have used. The customer service was great because they helped me book a car when I hadn't done that but they made it seamless.

Landon Badoni Montgomery, TX

Hertz is a solid rental company. Usually a nice middle ground between Enterprise and Budget. Usually cheaper than enterprise, and a bit more than budget... But that depends. The customer service I've experienced with them has always been professional and to the point.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Rented a car from Hertz for a girls trip and was impressed with the price and car provided! Liked that everything was upfront and clear, with no hidden fees. They had the car ready to go when we arrived and the vehicle ran great!

austin pliler Layton, UT

I recently used Hertz for the first time and it was a great experience. The line was a little long to check in, But once we finished at the front desk the car pick up and drop off was incredibly easy. I’ll definitely use again

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

I used the Hertz rental car as a driver for my company on an inspection. I did not actually rent the car myself. I was concerned about how the car works and the rental agency spent several minutes going over how to use the car most efficiently. I found this extremely helpful. Used the car for a week and was very satisfied.

Rylaan Marlowe Roy, UT

Had my reservation ready for me at the airport, even when others were wanting to snatch it from me (it was the only car left in the lot). Great customer service and pricing.

Landon Pliler Orem, UT

Great car renting experience. We flew into Phoenix and rented a Kia Sorento. It was wonderful. They o ou thing that I ha e to say that was negative was the extremely long line we had to wait in to actually get the rental. Took over 20 mins.

Kyle Johnson Portland, OR

We usually book with Hertz because they are the cheapest. Usually have had great experiences with them, but sometimes they can be slower than other companies I have booked with. This may be just be different airport locations.

Nishita McLean, VA

I rented the car when my parents were visiting from India. It was my first time renting a car ever! The whole process was smooth, hassle-free, the representative explained the insurance options, EZ pass and payment terms clearly. It was easier than I thought and helped build my confidence to be able to deal with people and make decisions better.

Nodarse Miami, FL

Having a college student studying away has required a few road trips, I have used Hertz located at Perrine HLE every time to rent a car. The staff is extremely helpful, the cars have been in excellent condition and their weekend drop-off is flexible.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I'm a Gold member for Hertz & really take advantage of the counter bypass when renting a car. As a person who travels a lot and rents a lot of cars, this is very convenient feature to have. The availability of cars & pricing are also satisfactory when renting from them. There was a time when my car broke down & would not start. I placed a call to customer service and within 2 hours, they had come, replaced my car with a new one & given me the keys and I was on my way. Now of course, I would never like any car to break down but the speedy process that took place was very helpful.

Gordon Mancuso Boise, ID

I almost always have a good experience with Hertz. Sometimes they are more expensive, but often times I find that with my work discount or USAA discount they are comparable or cheaper than other rental companies. I almost never have any problems, and they are my go-to rental company.

Carol Hancock

We rented a car in New York City during our vacation. We rented from the 34th Street location and wanted to drop the car off 4 days later at the Newark Airport. The staff at the 34th Street location was great to work with. They saw the amount of luggage our party had and gave us the vehicle with the largest trunk. They also did not charge us any extra to drop the car off at a different location. I would have scored them a 10 but it was a little too expensive.

Mark Donahue Rutherford, NJ

When I went to Florida, my friend and I needed to rent a car. What we had been told would have been our deal and what the actual price was when we got there were two totally different numbers. That did not make me happy and I explained what the deal we were told was. After speaking with the manager there, he did everything he could to get us a better deal. He was able to get us a great deal and apologized for all the confusion. We were both really happy and appreciate what he had done with us. Thanks for all your help Joe!

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

We took our family on a trip from one state to another. We needed to rent a car that was big enough and could be returned at a different location then we picked up at. Hertz accommodated our request. We were pleased with the pricing.

Jodianna Maitland, FL

I rented cars through this website. I do not like how fees add up when you go to buy the car.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

Easy and convenient way to rent a vehicle. I know I’m getting my money’s worth

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

Over the past year, Ive rented 5 cars from Hertz while away for training at work. Hertz is very easy to rent from. I like being able to choose my car from the lot as well. When arriving, I check in and walk right to the lot to pick a car. Very easy, no hassle. The cars are always very clean and very reliable. At the end of the trip, returning the car is also a breeze. I pull up and am able to check in in minutes. Very helpful when I’m trying to catch my outbound flight.

Megan A McEvoy Tallahassee, FL

My family always uses Hertz as our rental car service when we go on vacations. We also used this service when I moved to go to college, since we had to fly and then drive to my school. They were able to accommodate us by giving us a car that fit all of my belongings within twenty minutes of arriving at their desk in the airport. They are a very reliable rental car service.

Tom M Holmdel, NJ

I recommend Hertz to anyone needing to rent a car. Hertz is usually the first company I look for when I need a vehicle. They have a vanity of vehicles available and different costs that fit my needs at the time. I also find it convenient that when I fly they usually have a link to reserve a vehicle from Hertz. This has been very convenient for me.

Amanda Fairbanks Payson, UT

Hertz has been a family favorite for years! They always have the best car selection and are so easy to work with at airports

Karli American Fork, UT

We used hertz on a trip a few months back and the car was great. The service was quick and efficient and we were very happy with our experience.

Jeff Murnane Omaha, NE

When requesting to prepay for gas, the contract is set up to bring back full in the hope the customer doesn't notice so they can be charged $10/gal. On Fri, September 4, 2020, I rented a vehicle at the Hertz location at 2571 S 171st Court, Omaha, NE 68130 and when asked if I wanted to prepay for gas, I was adamant that I did want to prepay. The contract wasn't set up that way so when I returned the vehicle on empty, Hertz charged my credit card $200. I called the Hertz national organization, customer service line at 800-654-4173 and spoke with Marvin. He refused to credit anything back so I escalated to his supervisor Mark who told me that the Hertz national organization had instructed phone employees not to refund any customer due to the COVID pandemic and the subsequent loss of business they were experiencing. I did sign the contract and it is my fault for not reading it, but it appears that they intentionally set this contract up this way in the hopes that I wouldn't double check to see if the employee did what I instructed so they could charge me an excessive amount later.

Scott A. Johnson Orem, UT

I like that Hertz allows Gold members to skip the rental counter and go straight to their vehicle. They have good quality modern cars that are well-maintained. Their pricing is towards the upper end of car rentals.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

Hertz has been my Car Rental company of choice for 25 years and they always treat me well. I love their Gold Service and having my car waiting when I arrive. Their new way of letting you choose your car is SO NICE!

Matthew Haine

Good website, good cars, decent customer service. Overall I like dealing with them. But when you take out collision insurance online from Priceline, they don't always immediately recognize your insurance purchased online, you have to watch them on that.

Larson Riverton, UT

I have use them on and off over the years. I feel like they’ve satisfied my needs. Hertz is a very good company. It's has very good services. The customer service is great. I definitely recommend them to others if you are looking at renting a car.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

Hertz is my first choice when it comes to car rentals. I am a member of the Gold Club and it is so easy to come into an airport go to the Hertz lot, pick out the car I want and be on my way!

Kristin Pleasant Grove, UT

Hertz is very reliable because we have tried other rental car agencies and they promised to have cards for us and then they don’t we have stuck with Hertz for this reason. Their customer service has been top notch!

Stuart Young

Hertz at Dublin airport does a tremendous job at providing outstanding customer service. International travel is tiring and being greeted in a professional and courteous manner by the Hertz team makes all the difference.

Kenneth Okerlund Orem, UT

I was in a car accident and my car was getting worked on for over a week. Getting a car from hertz was easy, they even brought the car to me because I didn't have a way to get to them, as well as picked the car up from where I left it when I picked my car up from the mechanic.

Ashley Ulibarri Sandy, UT

Love renting from Hertz. They always have a great selection of cars and the prices are competitive. I have always had great luck renting at Hertz at every airport I have flown into.

AF ,

I like their rewards program. It's also nice that I can just go directly to the car and go (no need to check in at the counter). Good selection of cars and the cars are always clean.

KayCee Belka Derby, KS

We have generally had a good experience renting from Hertz. Recently, however, we rented from Hertz while we traveled overseas, and it was a mess. To be fair, we did get to drive well-maintained (and even one brand new) vehicles, and they worked perfectly well for what we needed. That being said, we had expected to pay a certain rate and were flabbergasted when the total ended up being more than double what we expected to pay. The customer service was not helpful upon returning our vehicle at one of the locations we rented from, and we were not provided receipt or confirmation from them for the return, even after we requested it. Everything turned out okay, but we will be careful when we rent cars from Hertz in the future, especially overseas.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

Hertz is my first choice in car rentals. The main reason is that there is no one better at getting you in and on your way, and then at the end checking you back in and getting you on your way. I am a Gold Member and there is nothing better than having your name in lights, picking out the car that I want and then getting rewarded for my business.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used Hertz car rental many times and it is always my go to for car rentals. I am a Gold Member and I love that they have you on the marquee when you pull up to the location and I love being able to choose my car. easy pick up and drop off always and I love the rewards program as well.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

Hertz is our number one place for car rentals. My husband has a gold membership which means we can exit our plane and walk straight to our car! The keys are in the car ready to go. I love how they have our name in lights telling us where to go.

Anne Marie Milne Layton, UT

I was referred to Hertz by a friend and it did not disappoint. They have great prices and their staff is extremely helpful. They make sure to help you find the right car for your needs and they don't try to get you to rent a different car just to make you pay more money. I recommend Hertz.

Landon Robison Layton, UT

I used this company for a family trip. when we got there to pick up the car, we realized it was too small to fit all of our luggage. Luckily, Hertz gave us a lot of other options that were the same price as the one we were planning on using, and we were able to get a new one with no issues. Great experience.

Jennifer Salt Lake City, UT

I had to wait 3 hours to check out my vehicles.

Kurt Lucas Olney, MD

Hertz - Rental Car always has a location at the airports i travel to. It is easy to rent a car with them. Very friendly customer service.

Steven Klaproth Phoenix, AZ

Always a pleasure renting with Hertz. Great selection of cars with friendly and professional customer service

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

Awful! I would rather swim with sharks then wait in line and go through the process of renting a car from Hertz. The lines are long and It takes forever to get to the customer service to finally get my rental. The process needs to be sped up. And the friendliness of customer service needs improvement as well.

Prius542 ,

I actually bought a used rental car from Hertz. It was in great condition and I got it for a great price.