Founded in 1918, Hertz is one of the oldest car rental companies in the business. It is also the largest car rental company in the United States. Hertz developed the low-floor passenger bus that is used by many transit authorities in large cities. They even have heavy equipment available for construction and other ventures. Hertz also has a popular car-sharing program. At most major colleges and universities throughout the country, Hertz offers a 24/7 rental with a Hertz car share station.

The Good

• High availability
  • Instant return
  • Toll prepay option

Economy Price Range

Hertz offers economy car rentals for average industry prices. Hertz's main advantage is that the company is in all 50 states, so although Hertz's prices may not be as competitive as some in companies in the industry, they have a high availability throughout the country.

Luxury Price Range

Luxury cars with Hertz are average in the industry. Many competitors have higher daily rates than Hertz. Hertz offers a luxury line they call "Dream Cars"—a unique selection of world-class automobiles available at select locations in the U.S. These include performance and luxury cars such as Porsche, Mercedes-Benz AMG, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, and many more. Every Dream Car rental includes special services such as in-person greetings at the airport, personal orientations to the cars, and delivery/pickup. This makes the price well worth it.

States Available

Hertz locations can be found in all 50 states. They are also in the District of Columbia. Recently, Hertz relocated its corporate headquarters from Park Ridge, New Jersey to Estero, Florida. Hertz operates locations in 145 countries. Domestically, Hertz has more than 3,210 locations throughout the United States, with an additional of 1,215 locations worldwide.

Airports Locations

Hertz has locations in all 50 states and in Canada. Hertz has rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. This makes finding a Hertz very easy and convenient.

Instant Return

Hertz has a beneficial rewards program called Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, which offers an instant return option for members. This allows you to return the car without waiting in line by letting you drop off the car, and leaving the keys inside the vehicle. If you are not a rewards member, you have to return the car the traditional way. One could argue that the company should make this option available to non-members as well, but this feature offers an incentive for signing up for a membership, which is free.

Toll Prepay Option

Hertz offers a toll prepay option called PlatePass, which allows you to order a toll pass through Platepass' website to make your commute easier. If you use PlatePass, you will be charged a $4.95 service fee for each day of the rental. Compared to some of Hertz's competitors, this is a low price for this service. Some companies also don't allow customers to prepay; they have to ask at the counter for a toll pass when they check in, which means toll passes may all be taken.

Online Check-In

Hertz has an online check-in option. By providing a driver's license number and date of birth, a customer can use the express kiosk or counter at any Hertz station. This is a great convenience to customers and helps to reduce the amount of wait time.

The Bad

• Basic roadside assistance issues
  • No on-site fuel discount

Roadside Assistance

Hertz offers Basic Emergency Roadside Assistance with each rental - which covers the mechanical defects of the vehicle only. They also offer premium roadside assistance, which covers mechanical issues plus keys locked in the car, lost key service, dead battery, out of gas service, spare tire mounting service, $1,000 travel interruption cost reimbursement, and a one-hour roadside service guarantee. Both options are available to renters 24/7.

There are two issues with Hertz's roadside assistance: the price for both options is not disclosed until you rent the car, and roadside service is split into two options, where most companies offer basic roadside service that covers both mechanical and more. Hertz, however, offers these basic services for more money than most rental companies with their premier roadside assistance package.

Cancellation Policies

Customers who have prepaid for the reservation have to pay a $50 cancellation fee. If a prepay customer cancels within 24 hours there is a $100 cancellation fee. If there is a no-show, customers have to forfeit the entire amount they prepaid. These prepaid cancellation fees are steep, but it appears to go with the territory of prepaying for rentals.

On-Site Fuel Discount

Hertz does not offer customers an on-site fuel discount. They only offer a prepay fueling option. Since there is no incentive to use fuel on-site, it appears best to return the car fully refueled.

The Bottom Line

Hertz is a household brand name for rental cars with locations in all 50 states, offering customers a wide variety of vehicle choices. Customers are recommended to consider becoming a Hertz Gold Plus Member. Sign up is free and there are many perks, especially the instant return option that saves customers from having to wait in line to return their vehicle. Hertz also offers an online check-in option, and instant returns. Hertz is a great option to consider when choosing a car rental company.

3.7

Robertos
July 23rd, 2019 Reno, NV DETAILS

Nice and polite staff. News cars. A very nice experience, though the prices are high.

C B
July 5th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

Used them last week while traveling, excellent service and price for the rental.

Olivia LeBaron
June 24th, 2019 Delta, UT DETAILS

Hertz is generally pleasant and easy to work with. The staff are friendly, and everything went smoothly. Fair price.

Kaitlin Ashcroft
June 20th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Went on a girls trip a few months ago a rent a car through Hertz. We got our car and after being in a for a few minutes we decided we wanted to switch. It smelled like someone had smoked in it. They helped us out and made it so easy to find a different car that was perfect for us and our trip! Enjoyed using this company

Tess L
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

The online stuff didn't quite help us understand how much we would be paying since we are under age 24. Maybe I'll would have been clearer if we had done more research, but we were surprised. Other than that things were easy enough!

Isaac
June 10th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Last time I rented a car from hertz, it was really dusty and dirty so my wife kept sneezing. I was not impressed with how they cleaned the car for us. And I was pretty disappointed because we haven’t had much trouble with them before.

Rebecca
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

They have great service. They take AAA, which gets rid of the under age fee and gives you a discount too. Loved this place

Marissa
June 10th, 2019 Redwood Falls, MN DETAILS

Hertz is my go-to car rental service. They almost always have the best price and they don't have exorbitant fees like a lot of other car services do.

Brenda
June 10th, 2019 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS

I rented a car from Hertz and I was a bit disappointed in there service when I was picking up the car.

Greg Hanold
June 7th, 2019 Batesville, MS DETAILS

My wife left her GPS in the car upon returning it. Several hours later she received a call from the counter in Fort Wayne Airport that the GPS was found and would be mailed to her. It was never sent and follows up calls to the counter (I spoke with Dan) are always a waste of time. I'm told someone will call and they never do. The place employs THIEVES AND LIARS.

susie
June 7th, 2019 Kaysville, UT

me and my family have always used hertz for traveling when we get rental cars. because they always have the best service and best prices. and the nicest cars that work for us.

Kelsie Gleason
June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I always rent my vehicles through hertz. They compete with prices competitively and if you ask a sales associate for help, they can make the impossible happen!

Tracy Hill
June 3rd, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

Hertz didn’t have the car we were renting for the weekend when we got there. We had to wait around for hours to get a giant van. We had to change a lot of our plans because of it. I understand that things like this can happen but it was inconvenient and unprofessional.

Nana Asiata
May 21st, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

Hertz has great customer service and is easy to book with. I've never had an issue during pickup which is great because you never want to deal with that whenever traveling.

Reese
May 15th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used Hertz car rental many times and it is always my go to for car rentals. I am a Gold Member and I love that they have you on the marquee when you pull up to the location and I love being able to choose my car. easy pick up and drop off always and I love the rewards program as well.

Ashley
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Hertz is our number one place for car rentals. My husband has a gold membership which means we can exit our plane and walk straight to our car! The keys are in the car ready to go. I love how they have our name in lights telling us where to go.

Trish Weems
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

I've been renting off and on from Hertz since 2007. I've had an overall better than average experience with the company with the exception of a few incidents that I immediately emailed two different CEOs, John Tague and now Kathryn Marinello. In my opinion, when a CEO replaces a former CEO and gets a million dollar plus salary, he needs to be aware of the negative aspects of the company and fix what isn't working. Sometimes CEOs are so full of themselves and lazy thinking the underlings will handle the issues which they do poorly and those were the basis of my many complaints during Tague's two year tenure. Then, also the district manager Christine whose last name I don't recall dropped the ball a lot in addressing complaints. However, when the two representatives in the Chatsworth California office were hired, Alfredo Palmeque and Emmanuel Onenum, things changed..they are so professional and accomodating they changed the office even though there were still onlinecomplaints from local renters who Manny and Alfredo said were difficult and I know for a fact these two will do whatever it takes to make things right with the customer. After many surveys following my rentals begging corporate to make either Alfredo or Manny manager of the location it finally happened and then a third guy was hired and this location is perfect..I love it.

Tiffany
December 14th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

After my car accident had to get a car quick. They made it easy and affordable while i went through the headache of finding a car and doing day to day things.

Dee Farquharson
December 6th, 2018 Washington, DC DETAILS

I rented a car from here. It was very inexpensive, the car was very clean, and they were open very late. It's only 4 stars because the Hertz was on the airport property, but was very far away.

Fernando Delgado
December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

We rented a suburban from Hertz for our San Diego trip to California. Truck was very clean and reliable felt very safe to be able to ride on the vehicle with my family will be using Hertz in the future.

Nishita
December 5th, 2018 McLean, VA DETAILS

I rented the car when my parents were visiting from India. It was my first time renting a car ever! The whole process was smooth, hassle-free, the representative explained the insurance options, EZ pass and payment terms clearly. It was easier than I thought and helped build my confidence to be able to deal with people and make decisions better.

Nodarse
September 18th, 2018 Miami, FL DETAILS

Having a college student studying away has required a few road trips, I have used Hertz located at Perrine HLE every time to rent a car. The staff is extremely helpful, the cars have been in excellent condition and their weekend drop-off is flexible.

Dave Brinton
September 4th, 2018 DETAILS

Good cars. Always available and good customer service. Top of the line vehicles. Always has great options.

Melissa Reinoso
August 30th, 2018 Herriman, UT

They seemed like they were trying to push us along and to get done with us as quickly as possible. They need to have an option for a mid size on their website not just a small suv and large suv.

Ron Durfey
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Used Hertz for a long time while with an employer. Loved being a Gold Member but was forced to switch to National. Fell in love with National's offers and chose to not go back to Hertz. Hertz car selection is good and the customer service was great. I would recommend them for rental car service.

Derek Scoville
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I had a 14 hour layover, and wanted to rent a car. I called around, and Hertz was so helpful. They didn't have they type of car I wanted, but gave me the upgraded version for the lower price. Excellent service!

Thomas Hullinger
August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Hertz is my first choice when it comes to car rentals. I am a member of the Gold Club and it is so easy to come into an airport go to the Hertz lot, pick out the car I want and be on my way!

Dylan Findlay
August 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Loved the car, loved the process, loved the vacation! Great place to rent a vehicle from!

Noelle
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Love renting my cars from Hertz! The people that work there are very reliable and trustworthy! So it's easy to find the car you love!

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

A little more expensive but worth it for the convenience of having more cars to choose from. They are always so quick to get you in your car and on your way!

Lesa Burgess
August 21st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I'm a Gold member for Hertz & really take advantage of the counter bypass when renting a car. As a person who travels a lot and rents a lot of cars, this is very convenient feature to have. The availability of cars & pricing are also satisfactory when renting from them. There was a time when my car broke down & would not start. I placed a call to customer service and within 2 hours, they had come, replaced my car with a new one & given me the keys and I was on my way. Now of course, I would never like any car to break down but the speedy process that took place was very helpful.

Spencer Hodgson
July 18th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I had a really great car with them for a whole week in Texas and it was super easy returning the car to them at the airport.

Karen Nelson
July 16th, 2018 Alpine, UT

Hertz is extremely dependable and it is nice because they have so many locations across the states. I have also been able to find several good deals online.

Shelene Cooley
July 10th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

The car was clean and worked just fine. If you shop carefully you can get a good deal.

CAROLE SCOVILLE
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I always get worried when I rent a car that CUSTOMER SERVICE is going to be bad and they’re going to charge me extra after I drop it off, but I feel confident renting from hertz

Sadie Scoville
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Simple car rental – no problems and checking the car in at the airport was a breeze. Love the key drop

Tom
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Love Hertz car rentals. Love the Hertz Gold Program where you get to choose your own car.

Kristin
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Hertz is very reliable because we have tried other rental car agencies and they promised to have cards for us and then they don’t we have stuck with Hertz for this reason. Their customer service has been top notch!

Jim Crawley
June 4th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I've been a Hertz customer for years. Quality cars, excellent service, and reliable locations are all part of the Hertz experience. Thanks for putting my mind at ease when I travel.

H Moore
May 31st, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

We've used Hertz rental cars when traveling and have been mostly happy.

Trent
April 30th, 2018 Provo, UT

They seem very efficient and easy to work with

Jeff Martin
April 19th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Great rental company. Made the process simple which is what a lot of people look for. You don't want any hiccups on your vacation and they help with that.

Anne Marie Milne
April 16th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I was referred to Hertz by a friend and it did not disappoint. They have great prices and their staff is extremely helpful. They make sure to help you find the right car for your needs and they don't try to get you to rent a different car just to make you pay more money. I recommend Hertz.

Brette
April 10th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

We rented a car last week and we were super pleased with how easy and quick it was to drop it off and pick it up!

Landon Robison
April 9th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I used this company for a family trip. when we got there to pick up the car, we realized it was too small to fit all of our luggage. Luckily, Hertz gave us a lot of other options that were the same price as the one we were planning on using, and we were able to get a new one with no issues. Great experience.

Denise Smith
March 28th, 2018 Mount Angel, OR DETAILS

I should have listened to all of the negative reviews before renting from this company!! We reserved a cargo van on 2/6/2018 to be picked up on 3/27/2018. We needed a cargo van to bring back some family heirlooms. When we got there they didn't have the cargo van, they had a mini van. We weren't happy about this but agreed to take it as the seats could be removed. My boyfriend asked if the guys who cleaned the cars could help him as he was recently in a car accident. He was told no they could not help him (the lady at the counter went out of her way to go outside to make sure and tell them not to help). The manager was the rudest. She was extremely rude and accused us of yelling. She refused to rent us the van. We made calls to Hertz corporation. They said they would talk to her, which she refused to do. They then told us there is nothing they can do for us. I am completely amazed at the horrible customer service from this location and Hertz themselves.

Stuart Young
March 8th, 2018 DETAILS

Hertz at Dublin airport does a tremendous job at providing outstanding customer service. International travel is tiring and being greeted in a professional and courteous manner by the Hertz team makes all the difference.

Gordon Mancuso
December 15th, 2017 Boise, ID DETAILS

I almost always have a good experience with Hertz. Sometimes they are more expensive, but often times I find that with my work discount or USAA discount they are comparable or cheaper than other rental companies. I almost never have any problems, and they are my go-to rental company.

Pete
October 31st, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

I recently booked a rental car with Hertz, I booked it for the Phoenix airport, and when i got there they said I had to go to a different location to pick up my car. That caused me to have to pay for an uber to get there. I wasn't impressed with that, they should have told me when I booked it that that would be the case, I wasn't happy with the service there.

Emily Hobeheidar
October 4th, 2017

I rented from The Hertz Corporation located at Hilo International Airport. Shortly after the reservation, I discovered that the entire rear seat and trunk of the 2016 Jeep Compass was infested with cockroaches. Sadly, I was forced to handle the situation because I relied on the rental car for transportation. An unfortunate experience that severely affected my trip, belongings, and feelings. In addition, I had an exterminator visit my home because the cockroach infestation reached inside my belongings from being in the rental vehicle. As a frequent Hertz customer, I'm devastated and disappointed by this disturbing experience. I returned the rental vehicle early. The Hertz agent didn't apologize. In fact, I wasn't the only Hertz customer to have experienced this infestation incident. I was told that I couldn't be guaranteed a clean rental vehicle. This goes against Hertz "Certified Clean & Safe" program. I'm truly saddened by this experience. I've contacted several Hertz customer service representatives, searching for a resolution. I still haven't received the help that I am asking for. I still haven't received an e-mail back from customer relations and I still haven't received a full refund! I'm not satisfied with how this case is being handled. I've reported this case to Hertz emergency roadside assistance, customer service, and customer relations. As a loyal customer, I'm appalled and hesitant to continue renting from Hertz!