Hertz Logo

Hertz

8.6

Founded in 1918, Hertz is one of the oldest car rental companies in the business. It is also the largest car rental company in the United States. Hertz developed the low-floor passenger bus that is used by many transit authorities in large cities. They even have heavy equipment available for construction and other ventures. Hertz also has a popular car-sharing program. At most major colleges and universities throughout the country, Hertz offers a 24/7 rental with a Hertz car share station.

The Good

• High availability
  • Instant return
  • Toll prepay option

Economy Price Range

Hertz offers economy car rentals for average industry prices. Hertz's main advantage is that the company is in all 50 states, so although Hertz's prices may not be as competitive as some in companies in the industry, they have a high availability throughout the country.

Luxury Price Range

Luxury cars with Hertz are average in the industry. Many competitors have higher daily rates than Hertz. Hertz offers a luxury line they call "Dream Cars"—a unique selection of world-class automobiles available at select locations in the U.S. These include performance and luxury cars such as Porsche, Mercedes-Benz AMG, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, and many more. Every Dream Car rental includes special services such as in-person greetings at the airport, personal orientations to the cars, and delivery/pickup. This makes the price well worth it.

States Available

Hertz locations can be found in all 50 states. They are also in the District of Columbia. Recently, Hertz relocated its corporate headquarters from Park Ridge, New Jersey to Estero, Florida. Hertz operates locations in 145 countries. Domestically, Hertz has more than 3,210 locations throughout the United States, with an additional of 1,215 locations worldwide.

Airports Locations

Hertz has locations in all 50 states and in Canada. Hertz has rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. This makes finding a Hertz very easy and convenient.

Instant Return

Hertz has a beneficial rewards program called Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, which offers an instant return option for members. This allows you to return the car without waiting in line by letting you drop off the car, and leaving the keys inside the vehicle. If you are not a rewards member, you have to return the car the traditional way. One could argue that the company should make this option available to non-members as well, but this feature offers an incentive for signing up for a membership, which is free.

Toll Prepay Option

Hertz offers a toll prepay option called PlatePass, which allows you to order a toll pass through Platepass' website to make your commute easier. If you use PlatePass, you will be charged a $4.95 service fee for each day of the rental. Compared to some of Hertz's competitors, this is a low price for this service. Some companies also don't allow customers to prepay; they have to ask at the counter for a toll pass when they check in, which means toll passes may all be taken.

Online Check-In

Hertz has an online check-in option. By providing a driver's license number and date of birth, a customer can use the express kiosk or counter at any Hertz station. This is a great convenience to customers and helps to reduce the amount of wait time.

The Bad

• Basic roadside assistance issues
  • No on-site fuel discount

Roadside Assistance

Hertz offers Basic Emergency Roadside Assistance with each rental - which covers the mechanical defects of the vehicle only. They also offer premium roadside assistance, which covers mechanical issues plus keys locked in the car, lost key service, dead battery, out of gas service, spare tire mounting service, $1,000 travel interruption cost reimbursement, and a one-hour roadside service guarantee. Both options are available to renters 24/7. There are two issues with Hertz's roadside assistance: the price for both options is not disclosed until you rent the car, and roadside service is split into two options, where most companies offer basic roadside service that covers both mechanical and more. Hertz, however, offers these basic services for more money than most rental companies with their premier roadside assistance package.

Cancellation Policies

Customers who have prepaid for the reservation have to pay a $50 cancellation fee. If a prepay customer cancels within 24 hours there is a $100 cancellation fee. If there is a no-show, customers have to forfeit the entire amount they prepaid. These prepaid cancellation fees are steep, but it appears to go with the territory of prepaying for rentals.

On-Site Fuel Discount

Hertz does not offer customers an on-site fuel discount. They only offer a prepay fueling option. Since there is no incentive to use fuel on-site, it appears best to return the car fully refueled.

The Bottom Line

Hertz is a household brand name for rental cars with locations in all 50 states, offering customers a wide variety of vehicle choices. Customers are recommended to consider becoming a Hertz Gold Plus Member. Sign up is free and there are many perks, especially the instant return option that saves customers from having to wait in line to return their vehicle. Hertz also offers an online check-in option, and instant returns. Hertz is a great option to consider when choosing a car rental company.

4.0

Kurt Lucas Olney, MD

Hertz - Rental Car always has a location at the airports i travel to. It is easy to rent a car with them. Very friendly customer service.

Chris Milke Olney, MD

Gold customer that appreciates reliability of getting the reserved vehicle without waiting. Not as familiar with newer selecting vehicle on site (now at some airports) but will get more familiar with it once my business travel picks back up (post pandemic).

Nell Damascus, MD

Good company to work with for rentals. Not a lot of frills but good service and reliable communication

Steven Klaproth Phoenix, AZ

Always a pleasure renting with Hertz. Great selection of cars with friendly and professional customer service

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

Awful! I would rather swim with sharks then wait in line and go through the process of renting a car from Hertz. The lines are long and It takes forever to get to the customer service to finally get my rental. The process needs to be sped up. And the friendliness of customer service needs improvement as well.

Rylaan Marlowe Roy, UT

Had my reservation ready for me at the airport, even when others were wanting to snatch it from me (it was the only car left in the lot). Great customer service and pricing.

Amanda Fairbanks Payson, UT

Hertz has been a family favorite for years! They always have the best car selection and are so easy to work with at airports

Prius542 ,

I actually bought a used rental car from Hertz. It was in great condition and I got it for a great price.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

If you want a nice luxury car for travel this company is great for it. In Florida we always get the convertible for our vacations.

Mark Houston, TX

I prefer Hertz over the competition because of more car options, customer service and overall quality for money!

CoachTrista Saratoga Springs, UT

I typical rent through Hertz if I can get a comparable rate because I prefer the cars they have in their fleets over others.

Van M. Orem, UT

They are always good service but they seem to be a little higher price than other companies I have used. The customer service was great because they helped me book a car when I hadn't done that but they made it seamless.

Karli American Fork, UT

We used hertz on a trip a few months back and the car was great. The service was quick and efficient and we were very happy with our experience.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

Hertz is a good company to rent a car from if it is popular in the area. Some of the Hertz have low vehicle stock if it is a smaller location and that can be difficult to get larger cars.

Lizzie Billings West Valley City, UT

I rented a car in California through Hertz and it was an awesome experience! Customer service was great!

Landon Badoni Montgomery, TX

Hertz is a solid rental company. Usually a nice middle ground between Enterprise and Budget. Usually cheaper than enterprise, and a bit more than budget... But that depends. The customer service I've experienced with them has always been professional and to the point.

Chandler Beaman Wilmington, NC

Rental cars are so overpriced, but the online ease was amazing. Pick up was easy and they don’t charge for dropping off at a different location.

Landon Pliler Orem, UT

Great car renting experience. We flew into Phoenix and rented a Kia Sorento. It was wonderful. They o ou thing that I ha e to say that was negative was the extremely long line we had to wait in to actually get the rental. Took over 20 mins.

Chelsea Snow Eagle Mountain, UT

I have used Hertz for years. they always have a great selection of rentable cars and customer service is top-notch

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Rented a car from Hertz for a girls trip and was impressed with the price and car provided! Liked that everything was upfront and clear, with no hidden fees. They had the car ready to go when we arrived and the vehicle ran great!

austin pliler Layton, UT

I recently used Hertz for the first time and it was a great experience. The line was a little long to check in, But once we finished at the front desk the car pick up and drop off was incredibly easy. I’ll definitely use again

Kyle Johnson Portland, OR

We usually book with Hertz because they are the cheapest. Usually have had great experiences with them, but sometimes they can be slower than other companies I have booked with. This may be just be different airport locations.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

Hertz has been my Car Rental company of choice for 25 years and they always treat me well. I love their Gold Service and having my car waiting when I arrive. Their new way of letting you choose your car is SO NICE!

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

I used the Hertz rental car as a driver for my company on an inspection. I did not actually rent the car myself. I was concerned about how the car works and the rental agency spent several minutes going over how to use the car most efficiently. I found this extremely helpful. Used the car for a week and was very satisfied.

Mike Salt Lake City, UT

Hertz is fine overall but I have found they are always more expensive. If there costumer service was head and shoulders above the rest maybe but they're not.

Max Winkel Lindon, UT

Cars are good. I didn't rent for a year and they expired 12 years worth of points. Uncool! They couldn't wait to expire them.

Jannis Ly San Antonio, TX

Rented a car from Hertz during my trip to Las Vegas. They have excellent customer service

Ashlee Bair Los Angeles, CA

Only used them once but they were super easy to work with! Haven’t had any problems, car was in great shape as well.

Scott Billings Smithfield, UT

I am a frequent traveler and I always book through Hertz, great cars and great selection. Always in the best locations.

Quinn1234 Logan, UT

Great to work with and they even upgraded my car at no additional cost. Highly recommend!

Jada Guzman Tampa, FL

Always loved hertz! Nicest and newest cars for the cheapest and most affordable rates!

Katie Lewis Eagle Mountain, UT

My car was ready when I got there. It was nice and clean. The staff was very professional. I would recommend Hertz

Morgan whiting Salt Lake City, UT

I love using hertz. I know I will get great fast service for an amazing price. The cars are always clean.

Jeff Murnane Omaha, NE

When requesting to prepay for gas, the contract is set up to bring back full in the hope the customer doesn't notice so they can be charged $10/gal. On Fri, September 4, 2020, I rented a vehicle at the Hertz location at 2571 S 171st Court, Omaha, NE 68130 and when asked if I wanted to prepay for gas, I was adamant that I did want to prepay. The contract wasn't set up that way so when I returned the vehicle on empty, Hertz charged my credit card $200. I called the Hertz national organization, customer service line at 800-654-4173 and spoke with Marvin. He refused to credit anything back so I escalated to his supervisor Mark who told me that the Hertz national organization had instructed phone employees not to refund any customer due to the COVID pandemic and the subsequent loss of business they were experiencing. I did sign the contract and it is my fault for not reading it, but it appears that they intentionally set this contract up this way in the hopes that I wouldn't double check to see if the employee did what I instructed so they could charge me an excessive amount later.

MiKE McWilliams Little Rock, AR

Never competitive in rental rates. Therefore, have not used in over 30 years. Sorry they are having financial problems

Scott A. Johnson Orem, UT

I like that Hertz allows Gold members to skip the rental counter and go straight to their vehicle. They have good quality modern cars that are well-maintained. Their pricing is towards the upper end of car rentals.

Ashley Ulibarri Sandy, UT

Love renting from Hertz. They always have a great selection of cars and the prices are competitive. I have always had great luck renting at Hertz at every airport I have flown into.

AF ,

I like their rewards program. It's also nice that I can just go directly to the car and go (no need to check in at the counter). Good selection of cars and the cars are always clean.

Patrick Curry Salt Lake City, UT

Our company has a lot of work trips that we have to use and this service is great to work with. The prices are great and never had a problem and always fast service

Dave_ Layton, UT

Hertz is usually a little more expensive than the other rental options but they have a great rewards program and have so many locations

Dayna Salt Lake City, UT

We have used Hertz rental a few times and it has been hit or miss. We got three bad cars in a row and it kind of ruined our trust in Hertz overall.

Tagg Ogden, UT

Hertz rent-a-car does a good job. Their customer service is good and they have a large inventory of cars to choose from.

Tony Riverton, UT

No nonsense place to rent a car. Was sorry to see this company go bankrupt and hope to use them again.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

We took our family on a trip from one state to another. We needed to rent a car that was big enough and could be returned at a different location then we picked up at. Hertz accommodated our request. We were pleased with the pricing.

Kim Young Little Rock, AR

I was impressed with the selection of vehicles and the fast customer service. Would definitely recommend.

Yolanda Briganti Riverton, UT

Can be found at many airports. They have been reliable each time I have rented their vehicles.

Danielle LeCheminant Lehi, UT

We rented a car using Hertz for a vacation and it went smoothly and quickly to pick up the car and check it in at the end of our trip.

Steve Jones Riverton, UT

I enjoy renting cars from Hertz. Their pricing is affordable and they have a great selection of cars to choose form. I recently signed up for the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program and love the perks!

tayloralexis Glendora, CA

Used this for my trip to washington. The car I had had terrible alignment issues.

MattB , UT

My car was wrecked, got a ride to the hertz, was not pleased with the service, returned the car and was charged 1 month later for cleaning, was not impressed by service, could have been situational due to car being wrecked