Hertz

6.2

Founded in 1918, Hertz is one of the oldest car rental companies in the business. It is also the largest car rental company in the United States. Hertz developed the low-floor passenger bus that is used by many transit authorities in large cities. They even have heavy equipment available for construction and other ventures. Hertz also has a popular car-sharing program. At most major colleges and universities throughout the country, Hertz offers a 24/7 rental with a Hertz car share station.

The Good

• High availability
  • Instant return
  • Toll prepay option

Economy Price Range

Hertz offers economy car rentals for average industry prices. Hertz's main advantage is that the company is in all 50 states, so although Hertz's prices may not be as competitive as some in companies in the industry, they have a high availability throughout the country.

Luxury Price Range

Luxury cars with Hertz are average in the industry. Many competitors have higher daily rates than Hertz. Hertz offers a luxury line they call "Dream Cars"- a unique selection of world-class automobiles available at select locations in the U.S. These include performance and luxury cars such as Porsche, Mercedes-Benz AMG, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, and many more. Every Dream Car rental includes special services such as in-person greetings at the airport, personal orientations to the cars, and delivery/pickup. This makes the price well worth it.

States Available

Hertz locations can be found in all 50 states. They are also in the District of Columbia. Recently, Hertz relocated its corporate headquarters from Park Ridge, New Jersey to Estero, Florida. Hertz operates locations in 145 countries. Domestically, Hertz has more than 3,210 locations throughout the United States, with an additional of 1,215 locations worldwide.

Airports Locations

Hertz has locations in all 50 states and in Canada. Hertz has rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. This makes finding a Hertz very easy and convenient.

Instant Return

Hertz has a beneficial rewards program called Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, which offers an instant return option for members. This allows you to return the car without waiting in line by letting you drop off the car, and leaving the keys inside the vehicle. If you are not a rewards member, you have to return the car the traditional way. One could argue that the company should make this option available to non-members as well, but this feature offers an incentive for signing up for a membership, which is free.

Toll Prepay Option

Hertz offers a toll prepay option called PlatePass, which allows you to order a toll pass through Platepass' website to make your commute easier. If you use PlatePass, you will be charged a $4.95 service fee for each day of the rental. Compared to some of Hertz's competitors, this is a low price for this service. Some companies also don't allow customers to prepay; they have to ask at the counter for a toll pass when they check in, which means toll passes may all be taken.

Online Check-In

Hertz has an online check-in option. By providing a driver's license number and date of birth, a customer can use the express kiosk or counter at any Hertz station. This is a great convenience to customers and helps to reduce the amount of wait time.

The Bad

• Basic roadside assistance issues
  • No on-site fuel discount

Roadside Assistance

Hertz offers Basic Emergency Roadside Assistance with each rental - which covers the mechanical defects of the vehicle only. They also offer premium roadside assistance, which covers mechanical issues plus keys locked in the car, lost key service, dead battery, out of gas service, spare tire mounting service, $1,000 travel interruption cost reimbursement, and a one-hour roadside service guarantee. Both options are available to renters 24/7.

There are two issues with Hertz's roadside assistance: the price for both options is not disclosed until you rent the car, and roadside service is split into two options, where most companies offer basic roadside service that covers both mechanical and more. Hertz, however, offers these basic services for more money than most rental companies with their premier roadside assistance package.

Cancellation Policies

Customers who have prepaid for the reservation have to pay a $50 cancellation fee. If a prepay customer cancels within 24 hours there is a $100 cancellation fee. If there is a no-show, customers have to forfeit the entire amount they prepaid. These prepaid cancellation fees are steep, but it appears to go with the territory of prepaying for rentals.

On-Site Fuel Discount

Hertz does not offer customers an on-site fuel discount. They only offer a prepay fueling option. Since there is no incentive to use fuel on-site, it appears best to return the car fully refueled.

The Bottom Line

Hertz is a household brand name for rental cars with locations in all 50 states, offering customers a wide variety of vehicle choices. Customers are recommended to consider becoming a Hertz Gold Plus Member. Sign up is free and there are many perks, especially the instant return option that saves customers from having to wait in line to return their vehicle. Hertz also offers an online check-in option, and instant returns. Hertz is a great option to consider when choosing a car rental company.

1.9

Pete

October 30th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

I recently booked a rental car with Hertz, I booked it for the Phoenix airport, and when i got there they said I had to go to a different location to pick up my car. That caused me to have to pay for an uber to get there. I wasn't impressed with that, they should have told me when I booked it that that would be the case, I wasn't happy with the service there.

John Heagney

September 29th, 2017 Tarpon Springs, FL

I arrived at Hertz's Montparnasse Rail Station office, as agreed, at 10 a.m. 09 Sept. 17 to pick up the rental car for which we had paid $282.27 in May. We entered the office to find it jammed with fellow travelers and their luggage, all waiting for their cars. My wife and I joined the line about 10 people back from the sole Hertz representative at the desk. The rep seemed to be struggling with one customer's rental form and did so for the next 20 minutes ... ultimately to no avail. The reason? There were no cars available. None. Zero. Despite the fact that we ... and a number of other Hertz customers ... showed our paid reservations ...there ... were ... no ... cars. I couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor rep faced with so many angry customers, but he offered a solution. He would get a van and shuttle as many people as possible to Orly International Airport ... 30 minutes away ... where there WERE cars we could rent. He left the office on foot and returned 20 minutes later with a van and shuttled about eight of us and our luggage to the airport. Once there, we walked another 15 minutes to the Hertz counter at Orly, where we again stood in line for another 15-20 minutes before FINALLY getting the car we had hired. What we DIDN'T get was an apology, a discount or an upgrade for our trouble. We got nothing, but the car, which is all we wanted in the first place. But consideration for what would turn out to be a lost half-day of precious vacation time? Nope. What made this experience even more painful was the fact that we were planning to meet longtime friends for lunch in Cergy, but by the time we finally got our car, they were unable to meet us. We were devastated. We are extremely disappointed in the service during and after this unfortunate incident because we expected so much more from a company priding itself for being Number One.

boris wessely

September 15th, 2017 Germantown, MD

I had a 2 week rental in Germany (munich). I dropped the car at 8am and had prepaid in full. Then they charged a slightly different amount AND added an extra day indicating a late return with a 10am dropoff. They also indicated that I added a scratch to the car. I was able to find the paperwork by the original rental agent showing the scratch on the paperwork to get that voided. They refused to credit back the extra day when I emailed them. Then I realized that my flight was at 10:10am - clearly I couldn't have dropped it at 10AM. I again complained via their website and they finally emailed back saying they would credit it back. BE AWARE - Hertz is a scam company!!!

Emily Hobeheidar

September 4th, 2017

I rented from The Hertz Corporation located at Hilo International Airport. Shortly after the reservation, I discovered that the entire rear seat and trunk of the 2016 Jeep Compass was infested with cockroaches. Sadly, I was forced to handle the situation because I relied on the rental car for transportation. An unfortunate experience that severely affected my trip, belongings, and feelings. In addition, I had an exterminator visit my home because the cockroach infestation reached inside my belongings from being in the rental vehicle. As a frequent Hertz customer, I'm devastated and disappointed by this disturbing experience. I returned the rental vehicle early. The Hertz agent didn't apologize. In fact, I wasn't the only Hertz customer to have experienced this infestation incident. I was told that I couldn't be guaranteed a clean rental vehicle. This goes against Hertz "Certified Clean & Safe" program. I'm truly saddened by this experience. I've contacted several Hertz customer service representatives, searching for a resolution. I still haven't received the help that I am asking for. I still haven't received an e-mail back from customer relations and I still haven't received a full refund! I'm not satisfied with how this case is being handled. I've reported this case to Hertz emergency roadside assistance, customer service, and customer relations. As a loyal customer, I'm appalled and hesitant to continue renting from Hertz!

Paula T

July 18th, 2017 Dallas, TX

I believe that I have just been scammed at the Hertz Rental Car location in Halifax, NS, Canada, and I need to report this! My car was just inspected as I returned it after only a 2 day rental. The agent checking me in said she noticed some tiny dings on the tire rim that were not marked at check-out. Of course I have NEVER LOOKED at the rims of the vehicle unless something was obvious enough to jump out at me. This was not the case with this car. There was even an agent there to sort of guide me along my inspection and in retrospect, I believe she was guiding me away from the spot in question....INTENTIONALLY! When I thought about it afterwards, I never even parked near a curb. In fact, I hardly USED the car! To add insult to injury, I had to ask the agent at drop off THREE TIMES to denote that I was returning the tank full as I had agreed to the, "We will fill your tank" option which I was told was fully refundable if tank was brought back full. It was like pulling teeth to get the agent to write this somewhere! It was $50 to bring the car back on empty! There was also a convenient form with a set amount of money charged for each little nick. I have never seen this before. You know where this is going...$80 for a "damaged" rim! Looks like an intentional charge and I bet they don't credit me the $50 for a full tank of gas either!! You know what the problem was...I DIDN'T BUY THEIR INSURANCE (their OTHER money making scheme!). I used Hertz as a promotion through my Chase United Visa. Thanks, United Airlines for the reputable recommendation! Halifax Hertz be forewarned, I return in two weeks and I will be speaking with your supervisor. The claims coordinator there is Kelly A B. I think she is on the take! Would anyone like to chime in here with ideas of how best to resolve this? Many thanks, Paula

Sandra Dubas

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I usually prefer their service over other car rentals. Their prices are decent and their employees are nice. The cars we rented from them in the past are always clean and in good condition.

Julie Firkins

June 11th, 2017 Orem, UT

I was really impressed with hertz, the car was actually ready to go and very clean inside, the customer service was great,

Jonny Hancock

June 10th, 2017 Draper, UT

Booking a car through Hertz was easy. I had booked a standard car, but they didn't have any in stock when I arrived, so they upgraded me for free. Highly recommended!

Kenneth Okerlund

June 6th, 2017 Orem, UT

I was in a car accident and my car was getting worked on for over a week. Getting a car from hertz was easy, they even brought the car to me because I didn't have a way to get to them, as well as picked the car up from where I left it when I picked my car up from the mechanic.

Carol Hancock

June 2nd, 2017

We rented a car in New York City during our vacation. We rented from the 34th Street location and wanted to drop the car off 4 days later at the Newark Airport. The staff at the 34th Street location was great to work with. They saw the amount of luggage our party had and gave us the vehicle with the largest trunk. They also did not charge us any extra to drop the car off at a different location. I would have scored them a 10 but it was a little too expensive.

Doyal Stewart

June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

My family and I have had a horrible experience with Hertz, and we will never use them again. We took a trip to Puerto Rico, and used Hertz for a 2 week long car rental. The car was filthy dirty, the people straight up lied to us about the pass that we now (a year later) being bombarded with mail to pay (even though we paid it while we were there). The rental was technically in my daughters name, and the customer service representative that took our car return stalked her on social media after and was privately messaging her inappropriate messages. We will not be using them again.

Maile Curtis

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

They are better choice than other car rentals, but they have things that they need to work on. Their prices are not the best and you can find cheaper cars somewhere else.

Carmel Bourke

May 23rd, 2017

I had an issue with my booking regarding what time I picked up the car. I wanted to check to see if I would need to change the reservation to reflect a later pick up or was there a window of time where it wouldn't matter. The person on the end of the phone didn't know and was not going tho commit either way as to whether or not I should change my booking. I had been on hold for 20 mins, and the person who picked up couldn't have been more unhelpful if he tried. I didn't want to adjust the booking unless it was necessary as I was within the cancellation period and it would mean been charged for cancelling the booking even though I rebooked immediately. The customer rep was not interested in helping...... When I went to pick up the car the queue was huge (friday before a bank holiday weekend!) And only 3 reps checking people in. Each customer was taking 15-20 mins. It took me over an hour to pick up the car. The rep said when I got to the desk. "Thank you for waiting" - like I had a choice!! Not going to book Hertz anytime soon, their standards have gone down so much!

Laura Flandin

May 9th, 2017

Rental went fine until 4 months later they surprise me with a claim on a damage I did not cause. Never call first... I know I didn't damage the car and the parking lot is not protected... I can't believe the customer service. Damage doesn't seem to be legit. I have additional insurance and the amount isn't high but it's just poor poor service or insurance scam (in which I will not participate).

Robert Dinca

May 9th, 2017

They are scam company. I rent on the internet a car with 110 euro and at the end I paid 610. Never refund at least fuel tank quarranty. Never had problem with the car..drop off in perfect condition. Car was rent in apr 2017 in Germany..cologne airport

Mark Donahue

September 27th, 2016 Rutherford, NJ

When I went to Florida, my friend and I needed to rent a car. What we had been told would have been our deal and what the actual price was when we got there were two totally different numbers. That did not make me happy and I explained what the deal we were told was. After speaking with the manager there, he did everything he could to get us a better deal. He was able to get us a great deal and apologized for all the confusion. We were both really happy and appreciate what he had done with us. Thanks for all your help Joe!

Chrystine Villar

August 19th, 2016

They charged me an small scratch on the wheel which was not easily visible. I'm convinced the scratch was done by a previous customer and nobody notice it before. I wouldn't waste my time to write a Review if i wasn't sure of the truth. From now on I'm going to take some pictures at the pick up and return, since it would be the only proof to open a dispute and get a refund from a company which is unfairly making money from me!!! Be aware that they always go straight to the weels willing to find a minimum scratch!