Best Company Guarantee Hertz Logo

Hertz

7.2

LAST UPDATED: March 14th, 2022

Founded in 1918, Hertz is one of the oldest car rental companies in the business. It is also the largest car rental company in the United States. Hertz developed the low-floor passenger bus that is used by many transit authorities in large cities. It even has heavy equipment available for construction and other ventures. Hertz also has a popular car-sharing program. At most major colleges and universities throughout the country, Hertz offers a 24/7 rental with a Hertz car share station.

The Good

• High availability
  • Instant return
  • Toll prepay option

Economy Price Range

Hertz offers economy car rentals for average industry prices. Hertz's main advantage is that the company is in all 50 states, so although Hertz's prices may not be as competitive as some in companies in the industry, it has a high availability throughout the country.

Luxury Price Range

Luxury cars with Hertz are average in the industry. Many competitors have higher daily rates than Hertz. Hertz offers a luxury line it calls "Dream Cars"—a unique selection of world-class automobiles available at select locations in the U.S. These include performance and luxury cars such as Porsche, Mercedes-Benz AMG, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, and many more. Every Dream Car rental includes special services such as in-person greetings at the airport, personal orientations to the cars, and delivery/pickup. This makes the price well worth it.

States Available

Hertz locations can be found in all 50 states. It is also in the District of Columbia. Recently, Hertz relocated its corporate headquarters from Park Ridge, New Jersey to Estero, Florida. Hertz operates locations in 145 countries. Domestically, Hertz has more than 3,210 locations throughout the United States, with an additional of 1,215 locations worldwide.

Airports Locations

Hertz has locations in all 50 states and in Canada. Hertz has rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. This makes finding a Hertz very easy and convenient.

Instant Return

Hertz has a beneficial rewards program called Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, which offers an instant return option for members. This allows you to return the car without waiting in line by letting you drop off the car, and leaving the keys inside the vehicle. If you are not a rewards member, you have to return the car the traditional way. One could argue that the company should make this option available to non-members as well, but this feature offers an incentive for signing up for a membership, which is free.

Toll Prepay Option

Hertz offers a toll prepay option called PlatePass, which allows you to order a toll pass through Platepass' website to make your commute easier. If you use PlatePass, you will be charged a $4.95 service fee for each day of the rental. Compared to some of Hertz's competitors, this is a low price for this service. Some companies also don't allow customers to prepay; they have to ask at the counter for a toll pass when they check in, which means toll passes may all be taken.

Online Check-In

Hertz has an online check-in option. By providing a driver's license number and date of birth, a customer can use the express kiosk or counter at any Hertz station. This is a great convenience to customers and helps to reduce the amount of wait time.

The Bad

• Roadside Assistance
  • Cancellation Policies
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

Roadside Assistance

Hertz offers Basic Emergency Roadside Assistance with each rental, which covers the mechanical defects of the vehicle only. It also offers premium roadside assistance, which covers mechanical issues plus keys locked in the car, lost key service, dead battery, out of gas service, spare tire mounting service, $1,000 travel interruption cost reimbursement, and a one-hour roadside service guarantee. Both options are available to renters 24/7. There are two issues with Hertz's roadside assistance: the price for both options is not disclosed until you rent the car, and roadside service is split into two options, where most companies offer basic roadside service that covers both mechanical and more. Hertz, however, offers these basic services for more money than most rental companies with their premier roadside assistance package.

Cancellation Policies

Customers who have prepaid for the reservation have to pay a $50 cancellation fee. If a prepay customer cancels within 24 hours there is a $100 cancellation fee. If there is a no-show, customers have to forfeit the entire amount they prepaid. These prepaid cancellation fees are steep, but it appears to go with the territory of prepaying for rentals.

On-Site Fuel Discount

Hertz does not offer customers an on-site fuel discount. It only offers a prepay fueling option. Since there is no incentive to use fuel on-site, it appears best to return the car fully refueled.

The Bottom Line

Hertz is a household brand name for rental cars with locations in all 50 states, offering customers a wide variety of vehicle choices. Customers are recommended to consider becoming a Hertz Gold Plus Member. Sign up is free and there are many perks, especially the instant return option that saves customers from having to wait in line to return their vehicle. Hertz also offers an online check-in option, and instant returns. Hertz is a great option to consider when choosing a car rental company.

bestcompany guarantee

Best Company guarantees your satisfaction if you choose a company that has earned this distinction. If you're not satisfied after 30 days, simply let us know and we'll give you $100. Yes, it's really that simple.

Learn More

4.1

Kaylee Lapinskie Foley, AL

It's very convenient to be able to skip the long lines after a long day of traveling and just quickly get into a car at the airport. Being a gold member really speeds the process along and it makes the process so much easier!

Jaelyn Morris Tallahassee, FL

Hertz is a great company to rent cars from. I use them when I'm traveling and they always have cars available at great rates. The customer service is always great and I will be a repeat customer.

Bryan Peterson Herriman, UT

I used hertz on line when I traveled to France. When I went to the location to pick up my car and wanted to extend the amount of time I had the car. There were no issues. It was nice of the employee to not charge us any extra for the extended time

Richard Cunningham Sandys Parish, SA

Hertz is well known but you get what you pay for - a company that rewards customers who come back. Yes its a little pricey and the queues are long but once you become a gold member the queues disappear and you get upgrades. I recently used when in Charlotte and got an upgrade to a Mustang. Was great. They just need to cut queuing time for non gold members and get rid of the fee for changing bookings by telephone!

Trish Weems

I've been renting off and on from Hertz since 2007. I've had an overall better than average experience with the company with the exception of a few incidents that I immediately emailed two different CEOs, John Tague and now Kathryn Marinello. In my opinion, when a CEO replaces a former CEO and gets a million dollar plus salary, he needs to be aware of the negative aspects of the company and fix what isn't working. Sometimes CEOs are so full of themselves and lazy thinking the underlings will handle the issues which they do poorly and those were the basis of my many complaints during Tague's two year tenure. Then, also the district manager Christine whose last name I don't recall dropped the ball a lot in addressing complaints. However, when the two representatives in the Chatsworth California office were hired, Alfredo Palmeque and Emmanuel Onenum, things changed..they are so professional and accomodating they changed the office even though there were still onlinecomplaints from local renters who Manny and Alfredo said were difficult and I know for a fact these two will do whatever it takes to make things right with the customer. After many surveys following my rentals begging corporate to make either Alfredo or Manny manager of the location it finally happened and then a third guy was hired and this location is perfect..I love it.

Jon U Ivins, UT

Unresponsive customer service. Hertz rented me a vehicle with over 55,000 miles on the odometer. During my rental the key fob became inoperative and would not unlock the doors. The lock cylinder for the physical key was also broken. I could not unlock the car. I was stranded at a remote location with no cell service after completing an 85 mile backpacking trip. The vehicle also had no spare tire. Hertz Customer Service has been unresponsive to my request for customer satisfaction. (Rental Record # 124017832)

Alicia Mesa, AZ

We have used Hertz once to rent a car for a last minute family trip. We were able to book a car, but the website was not easy to use. It was difficult to tell on the website what vehicles were and weren't available, but I was able to get the car booked. There was also some difficulties at the airport counter. I would use them again, but they probably wouldn't be my first choice.

anna blaser St Louis, MO

Hertz is great. It’s a little more expensive than other rental cars, but it’s a really great service especially when you’re a member. When you get out of the shuttle, the car is already ready for you.

Jeff Thurgood Draper, UT

We have used Hertz several times and we have a decent experience each time. It does seem that the quoted rate and what we end up paying jumps up a lot. They seem to add things in without letting you know what you are doing is adding cost

Emily D Herriman, UT

I enjoy renting cars through Enterprise. In my last experience, enterprise’s line at the airport moved much faster than all the others. We got our car quickly. It was a very nice car.

Saylor D Herriman, UT

Hertz had great customer service and was a pleasure to work with! We used Hertz in Los Angeles and they were very helpful through the whole process. We will definitely work with them again.

Dale Berridge Albuquerque, NM

We booked a vacation through an online booking site which included reserving a rental car to use through Hertz at our destination. We arrived and went to the Hertz rental area and were told that our "reserved" car was unavailable. The agent offered a "free" upgrade which ending up costing over $200 more when we received our bank statement later that month. Neither Hertz nor the travel service were willing to budge since we didn't actually get the "free upgrade" in writing. Lesson learned. Neither Hertz rent a car or that particular travel service will be seeing any more business from us. Always, always, always get any offer or deal in writing.

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

Easiest rental car company I have worked with and offer a great range of discounts for companies you or significant other may work for or be associated with. Fair selection of cars and prices, and the few times a model had not been available on arrival I was comped appropriately and given a comparable option.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I had a good experience with Hertz. I picked my car up in my city and drove it to Florida and dropped it off their. Then I did the opposite when it was time to return home with no problems. Hertz even offered a shuttle to get me from the rental place to our cruise ship and back, complimentary. I will be using them again.

Elizabeth Slocomb, AL

Hertz is extremely reliable with locations at most airports. I have even found them at the more remote airports as well.

Sadie Scoville Salt Lake City, UT

I travel a lot and Hertz is always on top of their game! Awesome customer service and they have me in and out super quick! Thanks Hertz!

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

I've only used Hertz a few times because they just don't seem to stack up to other rental companies I've used in terms of customer service. Price is the same as everywhere else.

Luke M Herriman, UT

We had an issue with a car, and Hertz traded us cars with no problems at all. Their customer service is great, and we enjoy using them to find a rental car.

Brian Cowley Riverton, UT

Their vehicle selection was good and their CS was good. Not my first choice when I think of a rental car, but never had an awful experience. Would be willing to use them again if they are a better price.

keiontai henry Tallahassee, FL

Hertz made it such an easy experience for me while my car is currently being repaired, I got my rental for only $150 that week and they even volunteered to refill the tank with no extra charge for me!

Morgan Elijah Tallahassee, FL

I personally have had pretty negative customer service experiences with Hertz. We have struggled and been wrongly biased against just because we were under 21. We have been sent to several locations and given bad cars. Although the problem was eventually corrected in the end I think sales reps for Hertz need a little more training when errors on their end do occur. I think policies should also be given when rental cars are booked online versus in person.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Hertz has made it really easy to rent a car on vacation. They offer a great selection and are willing to work with you to figure out the perfect car. I have never had an issue with them. Strongly recommend.

Nishita McLean, VA

I rented the car when my parents were visiting from India. It was my first time renting a car ever! The whole process was smooth, hassle-free, the representative explained the insurance options, EZ pass and payment terms clearly. It was easier than I thought and helped build my confidence to be able to deal with people and make decisions better.

Nodarse Miami, FL

Having a college student studying away has required a few road trips, I have used Hertz located at Perrine HLE every time to rent a car. The staff is extremely helpful, the cars have been in excellent condition and their weekend drop-off is flexible.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I'm a Gold member for Hertz & really take advantage of the counter bypass when renting a car. As a person who travels a lot and rents a lot of cars, this is very convenient feature to have. The availability of cars & pricing are also satisfactory when renting from them. There was a time when my car broke down & would not start. I placed a call to customer service and within 2 hours, they had come, replaced my car with a new one & given me the keys and I was on my way. Now of course, I would never like any car to break down but the speedy process that took place was very helpful.

Gordon Mancuso Boise, ID

I almost always have a good experience with Hertz. Sometimes they are more expensive, but often times I find that with my work discount or USAA discount they are comparable or cheaper than other rental companies. I almost never have any problems, and they are my go-to rental company.

Carol Hancock

We rented a car in New York City during our vacation. We rented from the 34th Street location and wanted to drop the car off 4 days later at the Newark Airport. The staff at the 34th Street location was great to work with. They saw the amount of luggage our party had and gave us the vehicle with the largest trunk. They also did not charge us any extra to drop the car off at a different location. I would have scored them a 10 but it was a little too expensive.

Mark Donahue Rutherford, NJ

When I went to Florida, my friend and I needed to rent a car. What we had been told would have been our deal and what the actual price was when we got there were two totally different numbers. That did not make me happy and I explained what the deal we were told was. After speaking with the manager there, he did everything he could to get us a better deal. He was able to get us a great deal and apologized for all the confusion. We were both really happy and appreciate what he had done with us. Thanks for all your help Joe!

jakira johnson Tallahassee, FL

I like how Hertz has a variety of cars from ordinary cars to luxury cars. I once tried to rent a car from Hertz and because of the type of card I booked with I unfortunately was not able to get the car but the workers in Hertz tried their best to help me get the car I wanted.

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

Over the past year, Ive rented 5 cars from Hertz while away for training at work. Hertz is very easy to rent from. I like being able to choose my car from the lot as well. When arriving, I check in and walk right to the lot to pick a car. Very easy, no hassle. The cars are always very clean and very reliable. At the end of the trip, returning the car is also a breeze. I pull up and am able to check in in minutes. Very helpful when I’m trying to catch my outbound flight.

Megan A McEvoy Tallahassee, FL

My family always uses Hertz as our rental car service when we go on vacations. We also used this service when I moved to go to college, since we had to fly and then drive to my school. They were able to accommodate us by giving us a car that fit all of my belongings within twenty minutes of arriving at their desk in the airport. They are a very reliable rental car service.

Tom M Holmdel, NJ

I recommend Hertz to anyone needing to rent a car. Hertz is usually the first company I look for when I need a vehicle. They have a vanity of vehicles available and different costs that fit my needs at the time. I also find it convenient that when I fly they usually have a link to reserve a vehicle from Hertz. This has been very convenient for me.

Victoria Hahn MN

Very nice and well kept vehicles! I would recommend using this vehicle company to anyone. Very quick and easy checkout as well!

Robyn Haight South Jordan, UT

Hertz is my favorite rent a car company. The whole process is quick and easy, from renting to returning. I've never had a problem.

Devin McClellan Eagle Mountain, UT

Hertz used to be a top-notch company. The last couple of years I’ve really gone downhill. The cars are always dirty and not very well-maintained. I travel across the country and it’s not just airport specific

Erik Lewis Minneapolis, MN

Hertz is pretty convenient to where I live so I have used them a fair amount locally and for travel. Always a good experience.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Very easy to use. Located not only in airports but next to car dealerships and other accessible places. Hertz is easy to use and customer service is great.

Matthew Haine

Good website, good cars, decent customer service. Overall I like dealing with them. But when you take out collision insurance online from Priceline, they don't always immediately recognize your insurance purchased online, you have to watch them on that.

Larson Riverton, UT

I have use them on and off over the years. I feel like they’ve satisfied my needs. Hertz is a very good company. It's has very good services. The customer service is great. I definitely recommend them to others if you are looking at renting a car.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

Hertz is my first choice when it comes to car rentals. I am a member of the Gold Club and it is so easy to come into an airport go to the Hertz lot, pick out the car I want and be on my way!

Kristin Pleasant Grove, UT

Hertz is very reliable because we have tried other rental car agencies and they promised to have cards for us and then they don’t we have stuck with Hertz for this reason. Their customer service has been top notch!

Stuart Young

Hertz at Dublin airport does a tremendous job at providing outstanding customer service. International travel is tiring and being greeted in a professional and courteous manner by the Hertz team makes all the difference.

Kenneth Okerlund Orem, UT

I was in a car accident and my car was getting worked on for over a week. Getting a car from hertz was easy, they even brought the car to me because I didn't have a way to get to them, as well as picked the car up from where I left it when I picked my car up from the mechanic.

Chris Milke Olney, MD

Gold customer that appreciates reliability of getting the reserved vehicle without waiting. Not as familiar with newer selecting vehicle on site (now at some airports) but will get more familiar with it once my business travel picks back up (post pandemic).

Landon Badoni Montgomery, TX

Hertz is a solid rental company. Usually a nice middle ground between Enterprise and Budget. Usually cheaper than enterprise, and a bit more than budget... But that depends. The customer service I've experienced with them has always been professional and to the point.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Rented a car from Hertz for a girls trip and was impressed with the price and car provided! Liked that everything was upfront and clear, with no hidden fees. They had the car ready to go when we arrived and the vehicle ran great!

austin pliler Layton, UT

I recently used Hertz for the first time and it was a great experience. The line was a little long to check in, But once we finished at the front desk the car pick up and drop off was incredibly easy. I’ll definitely use again

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

I used the Hertz rental car as a driver for my company on an inspection. I did not actually rent the car myself. I was concerned about how the car works and the rental agency spent several minutes going over how to use the car most efficiently. I found this extremely helpful. Used the car for a week and was very satisfied.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

We took our family on a trip from one state to another. We needed to rent a car that was big enough and could be returned at a different location then we picked up at. Hertz accommodated our request. We were pleased with the pricing.

KayCee Belka Derby, KS

We have generally had a good experience renting from Hertz. Recently, however, we rented from Hertz while we traveled overseas, and it was a mess. To be fair, we did get to drive well-maintained (and even one brand new) vehicles, and they worked perfectly well for what we needed. That being said, we had expected to pay a certain rate and were flabbergasted when the total ended up being more than double what we expected to pay. The customer service was not helpful upon returning our vehicle at one of the locations we rented from, and we were not provided receipt or confirmation from them for the return, even after we requested it. Everything turned out okay, but we will be careful when we rent cars from Hertz in the future, especially overseas.