Founded in 1918, Hertz is one of the oldest car rental companies in the business. It is also the largest car rental company in the United States. Hertz developed the low-floor passenger bus that is used by many transit authorities in large cities. They even have heavy equipment available for construction and other ventures. Hertz also has a popular car-sharing program. At most major colleges and universities throughout the country, Hertz offers a 24/7 rental with a Hertz car share station.

The Good

• High availability
  • Instant return
  • Toll prepay option

Economy Price Range

Hertz offers economy car rentals for average industry prices. Hertz's main advantage is that the company is in all 50 states, so although Hertz's prices may not be as competitive as some in companies in the industry, they have a high availability throughout the country.

Luxury Price Range

Luxury cars with Hertz are average in the industry. Many competitors have higher daily rates than Hertz. Hertz offers a luxury line they call "Dream Cars"—a unique selection of world-class automobiles available at select locations in the U.S. These include performance and luxury cars such as Porsche, Mercedes-Benz AMG, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, and many more. Every Dream Car rental includes special services such as in-person greetings at the airport, personal orientations to the cars, and delivery/pickup. This makes the price well worth it.

States Available

Hertz locations can be found in all 50 states. They are also in the District of Columbia. Recently, Hertz relocated its corporate headquarters from Park Ridge, New Jersey to Estero, Florida. Hertz operates locations in 145 countries. Domestically, Hertz has more than 3,210 locations throughout the United States, with an additional of 1,215 locations worldwide.

Airports Locations

Hertz has locations in all 50 states and in Canada. Hertz has rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. This makes finding a Hertz very easy and convenient.

Instant Return

Hertz has a beneficial rewards program called Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, which offers an instant return option for members. This allows you to return the car without waiting in line by letting you drop off the car, and leaving the keys inside the vehicle. If you are not a rewards member, you have to return the car the traditional way. One could argue that the company should make this option available to non-members as well, but this feature offers an incentive for signing up for a membership, which is free.

Toll Prepay Option

Hertz offers a toll prepay option called PlatePass, which allows you to order a toll pass through Platepass' website to make your commute easier. If you use PlatePass, you will be charged a $4.95 service fee for each day of the rental. Compared to some of Hertz's competitors, this is a low price for this service. Some companies also don't allow customers to prepay; they have to ask at the counter for a toll pass when they check in, which means toll passes may all be taken.

Online Check-In

Hertz has an online check-in option. By providing a driver's license number and date of birth, a customer can use the express kiosk or counter at any Hertz station. This is a great convenience to customers and helps to reduce the amount of wait time.

The Bad

• Basic roadside assistance issues
  • No on-site fuel discount

Roadside Assistance

Hertz offers Basic Emergency Roadside Assistance with each rental - which covers the mechanical defects of the vehicle only. They also offer premium roadside assistance, which covers mechanical issues plus keys locked in the car, lost key service, dead battery, out of gas service, spare tire mounting service, $1,000 travel interruption cost reimbursement, and a one-hour roadside service guarantee. Both options are available to renters 24/7.

There are two issues with Hertz's roadside assistance: the price for both options is not disclosed until you rent the car, and roadside service is split into two options, where most companies offer basic roadside service that covers both mechanical and more. Hertz, however, offers these basic services for more money than most rental companies with their premier roadside assistance package.

Cancellation Policies

Customers who have prepaid for the reservation have to pay a $50 cancellation fee. If a prepay customer cancels within 24 hours there is a $100 cancellation fee. If there is a no-show, customers have to forfeit the entire amount they prepaid. These prepaid cancellation fees are steep, but it appears to go with the territory of prepaying for rentals.

On-Site Fuel Discount

Hertz does not offer customers an on-site fuel discount. They only offer a prepay fueling option. Since there is no incentive to use fuel on-site, it appears best to return the car fully refueled.

The Bottom Line

Hertz is a household brand name for rental cars with locations in all 50 states, offering customers a wide variety of vehicle choices. Customers are recommended to consider becoming a Hertz Gold Plus Member. Sign up is free and there are many perks, especially the instant return option that saves customers from having to wait in line to return their vehicle. Hertz also offers an online check-in option, and instant returns. Hertz is a great option to consider when choosing a car rental company.

3.9

Larson
December 6th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS

I have use them on and off over the years. I feel like they’ve satisfied my needs. Hertz is a very good company. It's has very good services. The customer service is great. I definitely recommend them to others if you are looking at renting a car.

Tom Gourley
December 2nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

When I have used Hertz I have found their customer service god and their cars to be good quality. They often offer complementary upgrades which makes it nice to deal with them. Their locations are also often near local airports which is handy. The only negative would be that sometimes their pricing can be a bit higher than others.

Martha Gourley
December 2nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Have used Hertz many times for my husband's travel. The cars are clean and always run well. Hertz makes it easy to pick-up a rental and they are quick to get you on the road.

Daphne Brown
November 25th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS

Good experience with a pretty slick setup. The price is a little higher than I want to pay but I can't complain at the walk out and drive away.

Spencer Morris (Logan)
November 19th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS

Hertz is ok to me. Always have vehicles but the prices always seem to be just higher

Jon Posey
November 19th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS

Hertz is a good, competitively priced rental option. I would put them just below the top but well above the lower cheaper options.

Kathryn Robinson
November 18th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS

I love the ease and convenience of using Hertz rental car. They make it very easy to get to the rental car location from the airport terminal.

Todd Homitz
November 18th, 2019 Evans City, PA DETAILS

Prices are up there with their competition. I just don't think they have a great selection cars to choose from.

Sara S
November 15th, 2019 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS

Hertz is really bad about telling their customers about their fees. For instance, they charged me twice for a rental vehicle overseas. They also make you pay extra for "insurance" that isn't necessary- just another way to make $. I would try to rent a car from somewhere else if you can.

Megan A McEvoy
November 15th, 2019 Tallahassee, FL

My family always uses Hertz as our rental car service when we go on vacations. We also used this service when I moved to go to college, since we had to fly and then drive to my school. They were able to accommodate us by giving us a car that fit all of my belongings within twenty minutes of arriving at their desk in the airport. They are a very reliable rental car service.

Angelica Dela Cruz
November 13th, 2019 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS

My mom and I always use Hertz to rent a car when traveling. The service is always good, my only complaint is how there is sometimes a long line.

Eric Smith
November 7th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS

We rented a car prior to going on a cruise and when we dropped it off they even had a shuttle to take us to our cruise port. Great service provided.

Rilynne Edwards
November 5th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Great company. The staff was very kind and gave us tips on the city we were visting. We were upgraded free of charge which was great. The car was clean, ran well, and worked perfectly. They maintain their cars very well.

Tom M
November 4th, 2019 Holmdel, NJ DETAILS

I recommend Hertz to anyone needing to rent a car. Hertz is usually the first company I look for when I need a vehicle. They have a vanity of vehicles available and different costs that fit my needs at the time. I also find it convenient that when I fly they usually have a link to reserve a vehicle from Hertz. This has been very convenient for me.

Shawn
October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Hertz has always been reliable and easy to work with. Cars of well maintained and nice to drive

Rischelle Mikkelson
October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I like to use Hertz when I travel because their location is always on airport or just a short shuttle away from the airport. Their check in process is quick and easy and their staff member are polite.

bailey jo
October 14th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Wonderful customer service. I had to rent the car due to some repairs that were needed on my car and when they took longer than expected, Hertz was very helpful in extending my rental time.

KayCee Belka
October 11th, 2019 Derby, KS DETAILS

We have generally had a good experience renting from Hertz. Recently, however, we rented from Hertz while we traveled overseas, and it was a mess. To be fair, we did get to drive well-maintained (and even one brand new) vehicles, and they worked perfectly well for what we needed. That being said, we had expected to pay a certain rate and were flabbergasted when the total ended up being more than double what we expected to pay. The customer service was not helpful upon returning our vehicle at one of the locations we rented from, and we were not provided receipt or confirmation from them for the return, even after we requested it. Everything turned out okay, but we will be careful when we rent cars from Hertz in the future, especially overseas.

Alyssa Boren
October 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

The cars were clean and in great condition the whole time we used it. The employees were always patient and kind.

Don Boren
October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Cars are always clean and well maintained. Never had a mechanical problem. Reservations are easy and convenient to do online. People at the desk are kind and considerate.

Amy Boren
October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

It was a little more expensive than others but we got the car we wanted. We waited at the desk for a little longer than I liked but once we got the keys we got out of their easily. The car ran great and smelled fine. over all a good experience.

Ellen Morris
October 9th, 2019 Potomac, MD

Renting cars from Hertz is great. I was raised in a family where we always rented from Hertz and there were never any hiccups. They are respectful towards customers and usually give an upgrade if you're a loyal customer.

Kristiane R Durfey
October 8th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used Hertz for car rentals and they were good. Price was competitive and they were conveniently located. Car selection was good.

Jami Howell
October 7th, 2019 Farmington, UT DETAILS

My car needed repairs for a few days and they were quick and easy to work with. When we needed to extend an extra day over the weekend, their drop of policy was easy and they were very helpful.

Jaime
October 3rd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I've had good experiences renting cars from Hertz. We've gotten the type of car we requested, and everything has gone smoothly.

Joy Hill
October 1st, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Always good service here - one of the only places I trust to get my reservation right and not make the check in experience last way longer than necessary

Ted Johnson
September 23rd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Hertz is my number 1 rental car company. I love their programs, especially the Hertz Gold Club and all the benefits of it. I like to choose the car I want and this is a feature I love. Great rates and they are everywhere.

D.R.
September 11th, 2019 Moreno Valley, CA DETAILS

Book a rental at Hertz weeks before my daughters wedding for a premium large SUV. The website said I would get a Yukon or "similar" we'll after waiting 1 hour in waiting room they offered me a non-premium SUV that smelled like weed and had bad wear & tear to it. I asked if they had something else, this is for a weeding, the sales person pretended to call someone then said no this is all we have. Then he quickly tried to process the transaction and he also increased the charge by adding "LDW" a special insurance they have for their cars w/out even asking me. I asked why the price doubled he said everyone gets this insurance and I would feel safer with it. I should of paid attention to the reviews...THIS PARTICULAR LOCATION SUCKS! Hertz almost ruined my daughters wedding LUCKILY, Avis car rental at the Moreno Valley mall saved the day! Gave me a brand new SUV, premium with all sorts of discounts...Thanks Andy! Its crazy because I rented a Jaguar at the Riverside, CA location with outstanding customer service. But dealing w/ the Moreno Valley branch has made me change to a different rental company for now on.

kristin Gneiting
September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Hertz is my first choice in car rentals. The main reason is that there is no one better at getting you in and on your way, and then at the end checking you back in and getting you on your way. I am a Gold Member and there is nothing better than having your name in lights, picking out the car that I want and then getting rewarded for my business.

Darrin Henry
September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We used Hertz while my husband was out of town and needed a car quick and they had a great rate and just what we needed for a last minute reservation.

Robertos
July 23rd, 2019 Reno, NV DETAILS

Nice and polite staff. News cars. A very nice experience, though the prices are high.

C B
July 5th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

Used them last week while traveling, excellent service and price for the rental.

Olivia LeBaron
June 24th, 2019 Delta, UT DETAILS

Hertz is generally pleasant and easy to work with. The staff are friendly, and everything went smoothly. Fair price.

Kaitlin Ashcroft
June 20th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Went on a girls trip a few months ago a rent a car through Hertz. We got our car and after being in a for a few minutes we decided we wanted to switch. It smelled like someone had smoked in it. They helped us out and made it so easy to find a different car that was perfect for us and our trip! Enjoyed using this company

Tess L
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

The online stuff didn't quite help us understand how much we would be paying since we are under age 24. Maybe I'll would have been clearer if we had done more research, but we were surprised. Other than that things were easy enough!

Isaac
June 10th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Last time I rented a car from hertz, it was really dusty and dirty so my wife kept sneezing. I was not impressed with how they cleaned the car for us. And I was pretty disappointed because we haven’t had much trouble with them before.

Rebecca
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

They have great service. They take AAA, which gets rid of the under age fee and gives you a discount too. Loved this place

Marissa
June 10th, 2019 Redwood Falls, MN DETAILS

Hertz is my go-to car rental service. They almost always have the best price and they don't have exorbitant fees like a lot of other car services do.

Brenda
June 10th, 2019 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS

I rented a car from Hertz and I was a bit disappointed in there service when I was picking up the car.

Greg Hanold
June 7th, 2019 Batesville, MS DETAILS

My wife left her GPS in the car upon returning it. Several hours later she received a call from the counter in Fort Wayne Airport that the GPS was found and would be mailed to her. It was never sent and follows up calls to the counter (I spoke with Dan) are always a waste of time. I'm told someone will call and they never do. The place employs THIEVES AND LIARS.

susie
June 7th, 2019 Kaysville, UT

me and my family have always used hertz for traveling when we get rental cars. because they always have the best service and best prices. and the nicest cars that work for us.

Kelsie Gleason
June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I always rent my vehicles through hertz. They compete with prices competitively and if you ask a sales associate for help, they can make the impossible happen!

Tracy Hill
June 3rd, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

Hertz didn’t have the car we were renting for the weekend when we got there. We had to wait around for hours to get a giant van. We had to change a lot of our plans because of it. I understand that things like this can happen but it was inconvenient and unprofessional.

Nana Asiata
May 21st, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

Hertz has great customer service and is easy to book with. I've never had an issue during pickup which is great because you never want to deal with that whenever traveling.

Reese
May 15th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used Hertz car rental many times and it is always my go to for car rentals. I am a Gold Member and I love that they have you on the marquee when you pull up to the location and I love being able to choose my car. easy pick up and drop off always and I love the rewards program as well.

Ashley
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Hertz is our number one place for car rentals. My husband has a gold membership which means we can exit our plane and walk straight to our car! The keys are in the car ready to go. I love how they have our name in lights telling us where to go.

Trish Weems
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

I've been renting off and on from Hertz since 2007. I've had an overall better than average experience with the company with the exception of a few incidents that I immediately emailed two different CEOs, John Tague and now Kathryn Marinello. In my opinion, when a CEO replaces a former CEO and gets a million dollar plus salary, he needs to be aware of the negative aspects of the company and fix what isn't working. Sometimes CEOs are so full of themselves and lazy thinking the underlings will handle the issues which they do poorly and those were the basis of my many complaints during Tague's two year tenure. Then, also the district manager Christine whose last name I don't recall dropped the ball a lot in addressing complaints. However, when the two representatives in the Chatsworth California office were hired, Alfredo Palmeque and Emmanuel Onenum, things changed..they are so professional and accomodating they changed the office even though there were still onlinecomplaints from local renters who Manny and Alfredo said were difficult and I know for a fact these two will do whatever it takes to make things right with the customer. After many surveys following my rentals begging corporate to make either Alfredo or Manny manager of the location it finally happened and then a third guy was hired and this location is perfect..I love it.

Tiffany
December 14th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

After my car accident had to get a car quick. They made it easy and affordable while i went through the headache of finding a car and doing day to day things.

Dee Farquharson
December 6th, 2018 Washington, DC DETAILS

I rented a car from here. It was very inexpensive, the car was very clean, and they were open very late. It's only 4 stars because the Hertz was on the airport property, but was very far away.

Fernando Delgado
December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

We rented a suburban from Hertz for our San Diego trip to California. Truck was very clean and reliable felt very safe to be able to ride on the vehicle with my family will be using Hertz in the future.