The brand's claim to fame is offering consumers the same vehicles for less cost than their major competitors. The company has been in operation for over twenty-five years. Their headquarters is currently in Los Angeles, California.

#1 Enterprise chevron_right
3.9
#2 Hertz chevron_right
3.7
#3 Sixt Rent A Car chevron_right
1.3
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

The Good

• Roadside assistance
  • Toll prepay option available

Car Rental Prices

Fox offers economy and luxury vehicles at a low price in the industry. This can make traveling more affordable for customers.

Roadside Assistance

Fox offers Roadside Service Assistance (RSA) at $3.99 per rental day. Benefits include emergency road service towing (within 25 miles of occurrence), winching, jump start, flat tire change, lockout service, and emergency fuel delivery (up to two gallons). Fox promises that this roadside assistance will waive all, or a portion of the cost of a roadside assistance service call up to the amount of $400.00 per incident. If customers find themselves in a roadside emergency, Fox has a toll-free service number located in their Rental agreement folder. The pricing is on par with many companies in the industry.

Toll Prepay Option

Customers can order toll passes through Fox's website to make their commute easier. This is called Fox's PlatePass All-Inclusive Service, which, if customers choose this additional option on Fox's website, is a daily rate stipulated in their rental agreement. Customers are responsible for the payment of all tolls incurred during the rental period- whether covered by the toll pass or not.

The Bad

• Fees can increase the price range of a car rental
  • Available in 13 states
  • No online check-in options

Economy Price Range

The economy price range Fox customers is low in the industry. With taxes and fees, the price range is actually closer to average prices. These prices may seem to be a great bargain to begin with, but be aware that the prices will go up with taxes and fees.

Luxury Price Range

Fox Rent A Car offers luxury vehicles for low prices. But again taxes and fees could raise the price to an average, if not high rate.

Cancellation Policies

Fox does not charge customers cancellation fees-a great benefit unless customers use Fox's PAY NOW program, which is when they prepay for the rental. For PAY NOW customers, there is a $25 fee to cancel.

For non-PAY NOW customers, Fox makes canceling a reservation easy. Customers can use the same platform they used to book the reservation to cancel it. For example, if they booked the reservation on Fox's website, they cancel the reservation on Fox's website. The same goes for customers who book a Fox reservation using a third-party platform, such as a travel booking site like Expedia.com. One caveat is that although Fox does not charge cancellation fees, if customers use third party platforms (i.e. Expedia.com), those platforms may charge customers their own cancellation fee.

One generous rule Fox offers for PAY NOW customers is for those whose credit card is lost or stolen. If the credit card used to book a PAY NOW reservation is lost, stolen, or replaced by the card issuer and cannot be presented at the time of rental, Fox will waive the cancellation fee at the time of pick up.

States Available

Fox Rent A Car is found in 13 States. This is on the low end for most car rental companies. Fox also does not have a presence in New York City, a major location. Many of Fox's competitors have New York locations- as well as locations in up to 50 states. Fox falls short in this regard.

Airports Locations

Fox lacks a sufficient number of rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. They only have locations at 25 Airports in the U.S. and Canada combined. Other companies are more available with rental counters numbering at 40 airports or more.

On-Site Fuel Discount

Fox does not offer discounts on the price of fuel it uses to fill the tank on-site when customers return it. Vehicles must be returned with the same amount of fuel present at the start of the rental to avoid refueling charges. A few companies offer on-site fuel discounts-an option Fox should consider to provide customers with a more cost-effective experience.

Instant Return

When vehicles are returned to Fox's locations, it must be done in person by returning the vehicle to an agent on site. Some of Fox's competitors allow customers to return the car without waiting in line by leaving the keys in the car, but most car rental companies typically do not offer this option.

Online Check-In

Some car rentals let customers check in from the website instead of the rental counter, but Fox requires customers to come in person to check the car in. If customers rent a vehicle and agree to return it to a different office as stated on the rental agreement, customers have to pay a one-way drop fee. Having to go in person is standard for most companies but can be inconvenient for travelers in certain situations. There are companies that offer this feature, making Fox less competitive in this area.

The Bottom Line

Fox Rent A Car is a great option for everyday travelers needing an economy car to rent. Fox's low prices are competitive in the industry. They also offer great features and great insurance coverage. We feel comfortable recommending Fox Rent A Car if they are available in your area.

2.3

BLF
May 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

A smaller company, but offered us a great deal for our vacation. The car selection wasn't the greatest, but we didn't care because we didn't need anything fancy.

Reese
May 15th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My last car rental was through Fox Rent A Car. They had the best rates I could find and I was able to get it for a week and the car worked great and I was able to drive it with no problems and pick it up easily and drop it off easily. The salespeople were very friendly and helpful and the price was the promised price and not more.

Jeff
March 13th, 2019 Westport, CT DETAILS

OMG, run from this company! I was one of the thousands of customers who ignored the countless negative reviews of Fox and I paid for it. I won't cover the whole, horrible experience in detail, but will just let everyone know the biggest issue, which is that I waited two hours for roadside assistance, finally called an Uber, and discovered 8 hours later that the service truck was "still on it's way".

Yana
March 13th, 2019 New Milford, CT DETAILS

My daughter rented a car from them in Orlando. The site stated the cost included all fees. She called the company to confirm and was ensured that would be the price. When she arrived the price was $150 more. When she explained that she was told the price would not change they asked that she pay anyway and call the next day as they would listen to the call's recording and refund her. After they listened to the call they still refused to give her the money back and blamed it on Priceline which she didn't even use or talk to. She spoke with their operator. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Dave
January 31st, 2019 Chicago, IL DETAILS

For anyone considering using Fox Rent A Car when traveling in a foreign country, please spend a little more money and go with a reputable, ethical, and customer-centric company. Fox Rent A Car (and their affiliate partners) may be less expensive up-front than reputable and ethical car rental companies, however, they will charge you for “damage” or other expenses that are illegitimate, or borderline fraudulent when you return the car. I booked a 6 day car rental in Sicily, Italy in December 2018. When I booked on Carentals.com I thought I would be renting with Fox Rent A Car. However, in the fine print during the online booking process it said the vehicle provider would actually be “Sicily By Car”, which is an “affiliate” of Fox Rent A Car. In reality Fox Rent A Car just passes the business off to these unethical foreign car rental companies who have extremely poor customer service reputations, which is clearly evident from all the negative online reviews. Additionally, Fox Rent A Car has absolutely no concern and no regard for the customers well-being, or the poor treatment provided to customers by these foreign car rental companies. Fox Rent A Car is only concerned with the commission they receive for referring a customer to the foreign affiliate. When I picked up my rental car from Sicily by Car at the airport in Palemo, Sicily, I immediately noticed that the front right tire had low air pressure, plus the low tire pressure light was on in the car. Before leaving the airport I got out of the car and found someone who worked for Sicily by Car in the parking lot. I asked her to come look at the tire and tire pressure light in the car. Instead, she declined to come over to my car and told me everything is fine and I can drive away. Taking her advice was a poor costly decision, as I had no idea I would be the victim of a fraudulent charge six days later when I would drop the car off at the airport in Catania, Sicily. When I dropped off the car at the airport in Catania, Sicily, the employee for Sicily By Car examined the car and then accused me of replacing the front right tire because it was a different model from the other three tires. This was the same tire I had asked for assistance with when I picked up the car in Palermo. At the time I dropped the car off I explained to the employee that I had an issue with the front right tire when I picked up the car, and had requested help, but was denied assistance. I was asked to provide a written explanation of the events whereby the manager would review it and get back to me in a week with a decision on whether I would be charged for replacing the tire, despite the fact that I never replaced the tire. I realized that Sicily by Car knew I would be returning to the U.S., which would allow them to make a false accusation and I would have no recourse to rebut the fraudulent charge. When I returned to the U.S. I immediately called Fox Rent a Car to issue a complaint and seek help against this fraudulent charge by Sicily by Car. Instead, Fox Rent A Car told me that they couldn’t help me because it was a Sicily by Car issue and they would not have any information concerning my car reservation. After talking to Fox Rent A Car person for 20 minutes about my poor experience, she said to email her all my Sicily By Car drop off paperwork information, along with an explanation of events. She told me that Fox Rent a Car has a relationship manager that deals with these foreign car rental affiliates. More than a week after I emailed Fox Rent A Car with my paperwork and information, I received an email from Sicily by Car notifying me that I was responsible for paying to replace a tire that I never replaced while the car was in my possession. Shortly after receiving the email from Sicily by Car, I received an email from Fox Rent A Car repeating what Sicily by Car had already told me. Despite the numerous negative reviews regarding Sicily by Car, and my explanation of events, Fox Rent A Car will not believe you and will not help you when all the facts and human logic are in your favor. Instead, they just say “we cannot override any decision made by an affiliate”. I sent two follow up emails to Fox Rent A Car contesting the final decision by Sicily by Car, but Fox Rent a Car never responded to either of my emails. Fox Rent A Car will just ignore your emails. As I said before Fox Rent A Car is not in the business of customer service, or believing the customer when they have been taken advantage of. At the time you pick up the rental car, Sicily by Car will hold a $340 deposit on your credit card. At the time I dropped off the car and was accused of replacing the tire, Sicily by Car told me the cost of one tire would be $237. Not only was I fraudulently charged for a tire I never replaced, Sicily by Car kept my entire $340 deposit as evidenced on my credit card. I have emailed Sicily by Car three times (once a week) requesting a copy of the invoice for the tire replacement, so I can dispute the fraudulent charge with my credit card company, but Sicily by Car is purposely ignoring all my emails. I don’t want other honest ethical customers to make the same mistake I did by renting a car with Fox Rent A Car just because they have the lowest price. Spend a little more money and rent with a reputable ethical car rental company that actually believes their customers, and puts the customer first. If anyone would like to see my rental car paperwork/emails as proof of my situation please let me know and I will be happy to provide it. Fox Rent A Car and Sicily by Car do not deserve your business.

Jeff B
November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

Rented a minivan and the van sounded like it was going to fall a part. Customer service was good. The van was not so good...

Dave Brinton
August 31st, 2018

Always a good value for reliable cars. It has been a long time since I had manual windows, but the savings was worth it.

Ann
August 31st, 2018 Riverview, FL DETAILS

Scammers and money hungry!! Do not rent from them. Paid in full using my credit card to treat my family, in which the pickup infos in their name, on their trip to Los Angeles California. Wasn’t allowed to pickup the car rental because the rep said his infos matches but not the credit card. They’re stranded out there without a car with my 80yrs old parents at 1:00AM. So he have to pay for another car rental. So they took a total of more than $500!! So then I called them trying to clear things out, the male gentleman told me I need to read the fine prints and I will not get my money back, then hung up as soon as I started questioning him! They’re rude and unprofessional in every levels. Never do business with them EVER!

Dylan Findlay
August 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Less than desirable experience with this company. It seemed affordable until they tacked on all the extra fees. Also, the rental agent was rude. Will never rent from this place again.

L Fowler
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I've used this company on several occasion because they offered the best deal for the car that I wanted to rent. Often their business is of site of the airport, but they usually have a shuttle to get me to their business and it wasn't too much of a problem. I will probably go with them again in the future because of the price.

Joanna Hester
June 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I have used Fox rental car three times in the last month for different trips. They have by far the lowest fares, especially for one way rentals. They are not the big, glamourous brand, but their cars are reliable and the staff is always friendly.

Lynette Fowler
June 4th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have booked a rental car with them several times because of their lower prices. Their car selection was great for what we were looking for. We didn't need all the bells and whistles, just a car to get us around. The prices reflect the fact that this company is not located directly at the airport and you have to take a shuttle to pick up the car. I don't mind the shuttle for a cheaper price, not a cheaper car.

William
December 14th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I rented a car with this company because it was very affordable. The low price was definitely not worth it though. The car was filthy and did not run well. I won't use this company again.

Jason Brand
October 30th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Pretty terrible experience using fox at the LAX airport a few years back. None of the pickup busses said fox on them and couldn't get ahold of anybody on the phone. Finally took one of the other buses and walked to Fox.

Tali Stephens
March 6th, 2017 Orlando, FL

The worst rental experience. Changed 3 cars within 30 mins. All 3 cars had mechanical and suspension problems. The vehicles are not serviced. Maintenance on them show -4000+. Which means that the vehicle was supposed to be serviced 4000 miles or More ago. Then to put the icing on the cake after i swapped out the last one, i forgot my charger in it. I go back and they cant find it. One of the employees stole my charger for my iPhone out the car. Called headquarters they claim they can't even do anything. They cant even contact the local branch which is ridiculous to me because I couldn't even contact the local branch. If I had a real serious issue that I needed to contact that location i couldn't. It is impossible to contact. Bottom line, dont use this shady company. Horrible vehicles, horrible customer service and there employees are thieves. That what you pay for from FOX CAR RENTAL! * NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL *

Robert Kilpatrick
September 14th, 2016 Cathedral City, CA

I rented a car from the Fox office at LAX on Sat Sept 10. Shuttle picked us up very timely. When we arrived at the rental office there were approx 78 people waiting in line. At Payless in same lobby there were 3. It was a free for all with no one to explain the lines and no one directing traffic. The first line was a wait time of 2.5 hours. The clerk at the desk was an immature cocky young lady who was argumentative and rude. When finished we went outside to pick up a car and found yet another group of people waiting for their car. This wait was 45 more minutes. There were clearly no cars available and they were cleaning them one at a time. We had chosen a full sized car and given a mid sized car which they said WAS full-size. This car was inappropriate for our party of 4 with luggage but at this point we just wanted out of there. I wouldn't rent from this company if it were free.