Economy Rent A Car Logo

Economy Rent A Car

Is This Your Business?

2.5

LAST UPDATED: June 30th, 2022

Economy Rent a Car has been in business for over 25 years and has expanded to over 100 locations in 32 countries around the world. Today, the company is headquartered in Costa Rica and is Costa Rica's largest car rental provider.

Hertz Logo
#2 Hertz chevron_right
4.0
Budget Logo
#3 Budget chevron_right
3.6

The Good

• Locations at Most Large Airports
  • Roadside Assistance

Locations at Most Large Airports

Economy has locations at most major airports throughout North America, including New York, Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc. This makes Economy a prime option if you're traveling from out of town by plane and need to rent a car right when you get off the plane. This is on par with most car rental companies, who have counters at the majority of large U.S. and Canada airports.

Roadside Assistance

Economy offers a roadside assistance option for rental customers for an additional $5 a day. This service helps customers in case they get a flat tire or some other unexpected issue while driving. This price is mid-range, since some competitors offer the same service for an average of $3.95 a day but still affordable.

The Bad

• High Economy Price Range
  • Available in Only 10 states
  • Strict Cancellation Policy
  • Limited Instant Return
  • No Toll Prepay Option
  • No Online Check-In
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

High Economy Price Range

Economy cars prices are average to high in the industry. The price is dependent on the class of car and rental area.

Available in Only 10 States

Economy locations can be found in approximately 10 states. This is low in the auto rental industry. Most companies average at approximately 23 locations or more in the U.S. This lack of location availability increases the chance customers will not be able to use Economy.

Strict Cancellation Policy

If you have to cancel your reservation, Economy requires you contact them at least 72 hours in advance. Otherwise, you will be charged a cancellation fee of $50. This is not beneficial for situations that occur last minute that force you to cancel. Other companies offer free cancellations regardless of how close it is to the reservation time. The good news is that the amount of time Economy requires you to cancel in advance (to avoid fees) varies depending on the state you're in. For example, New Jersey only requires a 24 hour notice, which is much more reasonable. Overall, Economy's cancellation policy falls short of its competitors, many who offer free cancellations.

Limited Instant Return

After hours, Economy allows customers to return the car and drop off the keys in their drop-off box. Economy will inspect the vehicle the following day when the office opens and will email your invoice to you. If you return your vehicle during office hours, you need to drop off the keys to the front desk. This is not an advantage for customers, who typically return cars during business hours.

No Toll Prepay Option

Economy doesn't appear to offer a Toll Prepay option that is available on their website. Inquiring of them directly is the best way to learn about any toll prepay options. This is inconvenient and time-consuming for customers trying to book an online reservation. The majority of rental car companies have this information readily available on their website during the booking process. Economy falls short in this regard.

No Online Check-In

To check in, you have to go to the rental counter and finalize everything before getting the keys. This can take time with waiting in line. All customers will be required to provide their e-mail address at the time of rental to be used as an alternate contact source during their rental period. Customers who refuse to provide their e-mail address are subject to being denied their reserved car. This works for anyone who has an email. If a customer does not have an email address, this option will not be viable or convenient for them.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

There are no on-site Fuel Discounts. Economy offers customers 3 refueling options based on their needs:

1. FUEL NOW - you may purchase a tank of gas at the time of rental and return the vehicle with as little gas as you like. This eliminates the need for you to refuel the tank prior to returning. but they won't issue a refund for unused fuel.
  2. FUEL LATER - You let Economy refuel the car for you. You pay for the fuel required to replace the fuel you used and for the service and convenience of refueling the tank.
  3. SELF SERVE - You have to return the car with the same amount of fuel as when picked up. If not, fuel charge will apply of $8.00 per gallon.

Customers can save money if they choose the option best suitable for their situation. If you use FUEL NOW, you won't get a refund for any unused fuel. Self-serve may be more cost effective if you are not planning on doing much driving. Otherwise, there is a charge of $8 per gallon.

The Bottom Line

Economy's prices are not the best, and they do not have a customer-friendly cancellation policy. Economy also fails to offer some of the basic additions offered by its competitors, such as prepay tolls, onsite fuel discounts, instant return, and online check-ins for car rentals. They also lack availability, with only ten locations in the U.S.

1.1

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

Jennifer Ludovici Pittsburgh, PA

NO MATTER HOW DESPERATE, JUST DON'T DO IT. Late one evening, due to a mishap with my existing car rental when I arrived at the Fort Lauderdale airport, I used Priceline to rent a car online from the airport. When I placed the order with Priceline I didn't yet know which rental car company I would be "matched" with. I paid the full price online and declined any optional insurance coverage as I have my own full tort automobile insurance coverage. At the conclusion of my transaction, it was revealed that Economy was the rental company I was booked with. An Economy Rent a Car shuttle transported to me to the off site at approx. 10:30 p.m. During my interaction with the agent at the counter, I stated I was declining all optional rental coverage as I had my own insurance. The agent asked me to provide him with a copy of my insurance. In all the years I have rented cars I've never had anyone request this; however, I complied and accessed my policy with coverage limits online. The agent took down the information from my policy. The agent then said I need you to swipe your credit card for the additional charges. I asked what additional charges, I paid in full online at Priceline. He said these charges are for the insurance. I said I don't want any additional insurance, I have insurance and have shown you the actual policy. He said it is our company policy that you purchase the insurance and you agreed to that when you rented the car online. I assured him I agreed to no such thing. We went back and forth and he said if you don't want the car you can go back to the airport and rent with someone else. I really couldn't believe this was happening to me. By this time, it was almost 11:00 pm, I was a woman traveling alone so I complied. Under duress, I paid the additional charges (128.16) at 11:03 pm. The agent asked me to initial a series of boxes on an electronic pad to complete the rental. My signature on the Rental Agreement is timed 11:07 pm (4 minutes after my credit card was charged and after I repeatedly told the agent I didn't want to purchase additional insurance). I was directed to go to the garage and pick up the assigned vehicle. The vehicle was filthy and clearly had not been cleaned. I returned to the counter and asked for another car. The agent processed another document for the replacement car. My signature on the replacement Rental Agreement is timed 11:34 pm. The next car had a lot damage and I said I was concerned I would be blamed for the damage. The agent said he e-mailed me the document with the condition of the car and if I saw anything else to just take a photograph. When I later printed out the documented I saw it contains what appears to be "OK" in the Client Signature Out field. I never initialed or saw this document until it was delivered to my e-mail. After the edge of the front bumper "popped off" while driving, I have serious concerns about the integrity of the front bumper of the vehicle and whether it was even safe to drive to begin with. It wasn't until I reviewed all of the documents the next morning, I realized the agent had directed me to sign a box accepting to purchase something called Insurance Handling Protection. I have no idea what this is and I would have no reason to purchase this. Moreover, I repeatedly told the agent I did NOT want to pay for any additional coverage as I have full tort automobile insurance that covers all rental cars (in addition to coverage via my credit card that was used to place the rental). My initials were requested in a series of boxes on an electronic pad as part of the rental agreement AFTER I had been told I had no option but to pay for the "required" insurance or go rent a car somewhere else and then already paid the additional 128.16. It was this time that I saw all the reviews indicating the company has a history of engaging in what appears to be deceptive trade practices. I also can't help but wonder if I was "targeted" because I was a woman traveling alone late at night. That same day, I called Priceline and they confirmed that there is nothing on their website that indicates a renter will have to purchase additional insurance; however, they could offer me no further assistance. I don't understand why these third parties do business with this company. After returning home, I contacted the Florida Attorney General's Office. Apparently, they are well aware of this operation. To date, I have filed a complaint with them, a dispute with my credit card company and a complaint with the Florida Division of Consumer Services. This week I will be contacting the Florida BBB, and Broward County Consumer Protection Division.

9 hours ago

Krystal Joy Kelley El Cajon, CA

STAY FAR AWAY!! DO NOT RENT FROM HERE!! This reservation was paid in full through Capital One Travel. My husband and I were told by the rental associate there would be no additional charges on our credit card as long as the vehicle was turned in with the same fuel (3/4 full) and same rental condition (significant cosmetic interior and exterior damage). The attendant even joked, “as long as it still drives when you bring it back, you’re okay. They call us Economy for a reason.” Upon vehicle turn in, the associate walked the vehicle with us again, checked the fuel level (full) and said we were good to go, no additional charges. To our surprise, we see a charge of $64 on our credit card. When I called the Honolulu location (over 8 times to be exact), I only get a voicemail where I leave multiple messages and have not heard back. I finally get in touch with an actual person from the 877 business number and who gives me the customer service email address, since all staff is teleworking. The customer service associate, Patricia Grant informed me that Honolulu charged us for “Customer was charged a cleaning fee. Car was driven and returned with excessive miles and dirty.” Per the rental agreement, there is no limit on miles (we drove about 360 miles). There was also no verbal confirmation from the associate in Honolulu or pictures proving that the vehicle was “dirty” upon check in. We watched him do a second inspection before driving the vehicle away while we waited for the airport shuttle, and went on our way. Customer service is the absolute worst I have ever dealt with and company response has been zero. I disputed the charge with my credit card company and was refunded. It’s not the money, it’s the principle of making up charges to get more money from customers. Never again!

MisterVee Munich, BY

I'm telling you right now, RUN FOR THE HILLS! There are so many things wrong with this place that I don't have the time to waste by listing them all, but I will note a few. The working agents are incompetent, unfriendly, rude and arrogant. The manager of the shop in St. Thomas is dishonest, irresponsible, and likes to close early, leaving customers stranded at the airport without a car. The "customer service" is probably the biggest joke of them all. The cars are the definition of neglected garbage. I will walk up and down every hill in the Virgin Islands before I would ever, ever, ever even consider renting a car from this sham of an operation again. Completely and utterly disgusting the way I was treated as a paying customer. I gave one star because zero is not possible.

Peter S Tampa, FL

Do not EVER rent from this company One star is too good for them! I rented from the Orlando location to spend a week one hour away in Cocoa FL. I had a flat tire and was told that there would be a $185 fee to replace the tire, or I could drive two hours at my own time and expense to pick up a different car. The Beeline is no place for a flat tire!

Bertrand Morin Gatineau, QC

DO NOT BOOK A RENTAL CAR with ECONOMY RENT A CAR. Economy Rent A Car imposed a car insurance surcharge of 150$ for a week even though my car insurance covers this. All other car rental companies I've done business with in the past have accepted my own car insurance with no surcharge. They told me if I didn't pay I wouldn't get the car. I contacted Economy soon after to get this sorted out with customer support, they reiterated that if I didn't agree I had the choice of not taking the car and that I had accepted the charges since I signed all the papers. Not taking the car was not an option, the car was paid in full to Priceline (and non-refundable) and I needed a car for my vacation. To me, this is clearly a fraudulent and (from reading other reviews) recurrent practice on the part of Economy Rent A Car that should be investigated by authorities.

Kathy Hamilton, OH

Told I could not be at counter with husband Told him I had medical condition, I had to remain with him. They continued to harsh me about my condition after I told them I was not require to tell them. Husband finally told them to stop now in firm voice. Said it was to control crowd. I took a picture of near empty room. No one at all in.line. zero customer service skills. BULLIES . HARSHMENT . SHOCKED . We had to come back in an rent a transponder even though we had our own. Your company does not let you use your own. Cost of 106 dollars at 12 dollars per day. We did not go through one toll. .of course threat of 25 dollars for any tolls we went through without your transponder.

Elaine Williamsport, PA

Our rental was with CarQ or CarFlexi. If that comes up cancel immediately. This company left us at the airport in Greece for hours while we were calling every 10 minutes with no answer. Luckily we made friends with a driver from another company who knew how to get in touch with someone. Once we got to their location we were told our rental was cancelled because we were late!!?? WHAT! So tired, so angry. We see the car we rented on the lot, they tell us we can't have it, we need to pay for an upgrade. WHAT! Then although we reserved with American Express, they refuse to take AmExp. We had no choice to to purchase their insurance for an additional $190.00. The whole experience was a nightmare.

Marlena Bermoy

Worse experience ever. Rented in hnl. There were about 10 people in front of me. All of them upset. It took about 2 hours to get a car. The cars are old. The poor employees were so depressed knowing everyone had a right to be upset. I told the girl that took care of me that I was sorry but it had to be horrible to work for such a company where you can't make your customers happy because the company is just horrible. She just shook her head and looked sad. There were 3 people returning cars that didn't work, so that also took time. We rented through priceline and they were zero help!!! I will NEVER RENT THROUGH PRICELINE OR ECONOMY ever again. You should not either. i will be sure to cut my vacation short and be there 2 hours early as the return experience looked equally horrific. They would not let me cancel even though their site says they allow changes because of covid. I tried to shorten the 11 day contract, but NO, i had to go through priceline and priceline could not or would not help me. I would gladly pay double somewhere else, it was that bad.

Margo C Bloomfield, CT

I rented a car from 2/5-2/17 in Orlando. I brought the car back 2 days early..they said they weren't going to reimburse my money plus they owe 156.00 security deposit!! The car bucked and stalled at stops, we wondered if we would make our destination. Horrible..the worst EVER!! IM going to complain to BBB! RENT AT THE AIRPORT..Priceline leads you to believe it's at the airport but it's not..then they want you to pay 80.00 for toll pass..other cars came with the pass..ie.Budget

Lindsey Elliott Philadelphia, PA

This place is a complete rip off. When we got to the airport, there was no shuttle. We had to walk with your 5 children off property to the office. When we got there, they told us the insurance we bought wasn’t sufficient, so they made us buy more. Then they told us that unless we wanted to pay an additional $200, they were going to put a $25000 deposit on our credit card. It took us over an hour from the time we got to the counter to the time we got our car. Economy is a complete rip off and they will take advantage of you.

Paul Kourafas Onset, MA

I watched (while waiting 50 minutes in line) a lady and her infant baby crying (stoller and bags) while they told her she was 15 minutes late for her reservation.. And yes she was in line for over 40 minutes that they didn't have a car for her.... Even though they charged her for her rental... Hmmmm What a bunch of Crooks... I was so mad waiting and watching them over sell needles extras... I walked out and told them what I thought (lady was outside now still crying with no options) What a bunch of Crooks!!!

Bobby singh Toronto, ON

DO NOT RENT A VEHICLE FROM HERE. EVER. This was the worst rental vehicle experience I’ve ever had. The booking said “unlimited mileage” in writing yet they did not want to honor this despite the fact I had it in writing. I had my own vehicle insurance (top of the line $10 million policy which has been used with rentals from all other companies- dollar, hertz, enterprise, budget, Avis etc no problem ever) yet they charged me $5 extra per day as an “insurance transfer fee” Because I didn’t purchase their $40 per day insurance. ridiculous hidden fees My flight was in the early morning and I dropped the vehicle off 12 hours early and they charged me a $30 drop off fee. I’ve never seen this before and find it to be unacceptable. GO ANYWHERE ELSE. SAVE YOURSELF THE HASSLE AND STRESS

Rick Boychuk North Battleford, SK

If you like feeling ripped off, you will like Economy. This is the worst car rental company that I have ever had experience with. They take the full payment in advance with a non-refundable policy. With your money, they can (and did) treat customers with distain. When I returned the car with no issues, they refunded $409 of the $500 deposit. What? They charged me $5 a day for the 'privilege' of not using their insurance coverage. What? So the $471 rental ended up costing $670. And many other points of dissatisfaction. And having booked it through Expedia, I was dismayed at Expedia's lack of concern over the happiness of their customer. I will never use Economy or Expedia again. I would reconsider using Expedia if I found out that they dumped Economy and adopted a screening system for the services that I depend on. I give it one star only because I cannot submit a zero star rating - which is what they deserve.

Alex petz Marietta, GA

I’ve been renting vehicles for many years. I took a trip to Guatemala back in September. I decided to rent a vehicle thru Expedia and made a reservation with Economy. The location and numbers provided were completely inaccurate. I was not able to find the location nor get in contact with anyone. When I called Expedia to get a refund of a car I never used they directed me to the car rental website. I was told the were not going to refund me my entire amount they deducted a 35.00 fee as well as the insurance premium of 44.00. This was my first and last experience with less than a mediocre car rental company. I have spread my message to many people and will continue to advise folks not to rent vehicles with this company. It’s simply unacceptable for a company not to take responsibility for their own inability to provide the services paid in advanced. Lou S the CEO should take notice and when investors take vote maybe the can look for a much better leader for their company.

Brian Woytkiw Brandon, MB

Heed the warning! I was overcharged over $800 what I was expected to pay in Costa Rica. Absolutely a corrupt company. Rent from them at your own risk, you've been warned.

jens harnest Trenton, ON

Sorry, I can’t rate lower. These guys are crooks. A scuff mark became a $6000 repair. They are arguing with my insurance company, but they hit my Visa for $3000 before I could stop them. Now they tell me they won’t accept the insurance company settlement unless I top it up with $900 Payment direct to them.

George Reynolds Irving, TX

Is this even a real company...?? Had a trip booked and showed up at the New Orleans airport to pick the car up to only find out that they didn't have any cars available. What's the point of a reservation then? We ended having to Uber which was very costly and waisted the whole day. DO NOT rent with them! Horrible experience and I don't know why Expedia even has them on their site. Seems like a scam.

g m Richmond Hill, ON

Absolutely do not use Economy for a car rental. August 24, 2021, we had a car reserved at Vancouver Airport. When we called they didn’t answer. We left a voicemail. They didn’t call back. Eventually we got through to someone. They had no record of our reservation and said they’d have the back office call us back. We’re still waiting for that call two weeks later. We then got through to someone else who said they did have the reservation but we were late so there’s no car for us. He said they keep cars reserved for 30 minutes only. It’s BS. How can 30 minutes suffice for a reservation at an airport?? It’s ridiculous. We got a car from another company. The guy there said Economy overbooks significantly and this happens often. DO NOT USE ECONOMY

Jose Espericueta Chandler, AZ

NEVER AGAIN! Rented from the Guadalajara location. Their location is not close enough to walk to and you have to get a ride. Never EVER accept a ride for a car rental. You will be left with no choice but to pay them for holding you hostage. Paid $40/day for a sport suv through Kayak and was charged nearly $100/day for insurance once I was getting the documents signed for rental at the location. I later learned that there is mandatory insurance fee for cars in Mexico, but no where near $100/day. These people and this company is not worth your headaches. Not only was the vehicle expensive to rent after fees, but I was given a beat up, scratched, dented, Renault Duster with a broken tail light. The company is horrible, the employees take advantage of you, their vehicles are not worth their prices. First time renting a car in Mexico and happened to be from Economy Rent-a-Car and I sure as hell have learned my lesson. Stay at the airport. Rent from the airport. Take rides from NO ONE. It’s not safe.

scott shrago Bridgewater, MA

DON’T DO IT !!!Rented a car for 6 days at 19.00 per day! Thats $114..91. Last I checked 19x6 is 114.00 Ran my card and printed as 153.95 which only .1 cents was charged also had to sign 8 Pages that would have taken 2 hours to read. ( my bad) also had to give them a copy of my insurance policy So the ask if you want a toll transponder for $9.95 a day or $59.70 for my rental... or you pay $25.00 every time you go through a toll! So I took the transponder. So that’s 174.61 Car was nice for an economy car Returned the car woman Said I was all set She would email me my receipt Got the receipt $323.09😳😳 They charge for : Loss of use Handling and insurance fee Glass and tire protection Vehicle lic fee Energy fee Florida surcharge Plus taxes If you rent stand in line for two hours and read the papers!!!! I called and complained the guy said sir you signed the papers! NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER WILL NEVER RENT THERE AGAIN!!! FAR FROM AMAZING

Sheila OReilly Clark, NJ

I reserved a rental car and prepaid for it a month in advance to guarantee my rate. This was a no cancellation contract. Unfortunately, my flight was cancelled and I was unable to pick up my car until the next day. I called Economy to notify them. When I pick up my car, Economy charges me an extra $170 for picking up the car a day later. They decided to cancel my NO CANCELLATION contract and charge me at a higher rate. I was not expecting a refund for the day I missed and I was certainly not expecting to pay MORE money. The customer service reps as well as the corporate office had no compassion and refused to reinstate my initial contract. I had no choice but to pay the money as they would not allow me to cancel the contract for a full refund. I would never recommend Economy Rent A Car.

Tyler Clegg CA

Text book bait a few switch. Our flight was cancelled due to the Weather and the representative insisted on charges us the full amount. After we begged and pleaded with them, the “manager” said he would move our rental to the next day and only charged us a late fee. The manager insisted on giving them A time. But again, our flight was delayed and they made us pay the full amount. We were charged for a service they did NOT provide. In addition, suddenly management is not available to Speak with as they hide from us. This is NOT a company that is willing to work with their customers. Rent elsewhere

Kristin G Pleasant Grove, UT

We found a great deal online with Economy Rent a Car in Dallas, TX. We rented the car for an entire week while we were visiting our grand children Nd had no issues what so ever. The customer service was great. The car was clean and ran as expected. I would rent again from them.

Jamire Lewis Washington, DC

I took a trip to Puerto Rico and I was looking for a rental and I accidentally booked it in Costa Rica. I called economy rental and informing them I booked it on the wrong island. All they told me to do was to send an email and wait for the response. And also include my Reservation confirmation number. This is the way that I can process my refund it has been more than 30 days later and I haven’t received a refund I don’t suggest this company to purchase a rental.

steven criscuolo Guilford, CT

Do not rent a car from these rip off artists, we prepaid $298.00 and are flight was delayed 8 hours and we called and told them and they said no problem, big lie, we get to Florida at 2 a.m. and they gave our car away and had no more cars and left us hanging. And they refuse to pay us back!!! Disgusting people. We have informed the Better Business Bureau and they are looking into the matter and we will fight these scammers to the end.

G Kerth Portland, OR

Dishonest car rental company baits customers and double charges: I booked a rental car with Economy Rent a Car through Expedia. The amount was $348 and was immediately charged to my card. I immediately called the Economy to confirm and they informed me that the amount would actually be an additional $300+. When I asked why the true amount was not posted on Expedia they did not have an actual answer. I requested a cancellation based on misleading information. They did indicate their cancellation policies did not provide refunds HOWEVER indicated that they value their customers and would do so in this case. I have an email from their Customer Service Manager stating that I would get a refund. When I did not see the refund, I contacted Capital One and started a dispute. Capital One provided a credit while they investigated. Capital One required a formal letter of complaint, copies of the emails, and the itinerary. I provided all the necessary forms. Meanwhile, Economy halted all refunds and indicated they would not provide a refund as Capitol One had charged back the $348. I thought all was fine until Capitol One informed me that Economy had disputed and Capitol One put the charge back on my cared. Capital One informed me that regardless of the promise to refund from Economy, they could not help me and I would have to work with Economy. Economy is now saying that because Capital One charged back, regardless of the re-instatement of the fee, they would not provide a refund and I would have to speak to Capital One. I provided Economy a copy of my credit card statement to prove that Capitol One reversed the chargeback and re-issued the charge. They did not care and Economy rent a car has my money. I NEVER picked up the car because Economy assured me of a refund, I did not receive any services, and I am out $348. Economy misrepresented their fees in the first place by showing prices far less than what they knowingly charge. They promised a refund, never provided it. Capital One is also failing to protect me as the consumer even after providing proof that Economy put in writing that they would provide a refund in spite of their cancellation policy. Economy Car Rental misrepresented its fees to lure travelers into binding situations and then charging double the advertised fee.

Karen Coglitore Churchville, NY

Reserved a vehicle with Economy in Ft. Lauderdale about 1 1/2 months before our arrival, when we arrived at the off site location we were told our reservation had been cancelled. No phone call, no email, no text to inform us of this! The reason it was cancelled was because we arrived 2 hours after our pick up time. My brother called them a few days before to confirm the reservation because we had heard that getting rentals in Florida was extremely difficult. He also told them our flight had changed and we were going to be later then we expected. The vehicle was prepaid and when he asked for a credit the clerk told him he had to fill out a request and it was not guaranteed he would get a refund!!! What??? Are you kidding me??? He is in the process of filling out the paperwork for the refund. Needless to say the four of us were left there with no vehicle and we had to take an Uber to our condo which ended up costing $85.00. We will never consider renting from economy again. Absolutely horrible experience!

Nika Saint Paul, MN

Awful company and disrespectful stuff!!! I would give Economy Rent A Car a negative rating if there would be such an option. One star feels too overvalued!!! Instead of the 7 hours of rent paid by us, me and my husband were able to use the car for only 1.5 hours, because the agent of this shitty company-Austin illegally tried to force us to buy insurance that we did not need and spent 3 hours of our personal time, blocked $ 1000 in our account and ruined our vacation. He even forced us to contact our insurance company in order to confirm that we are insured with them!!! It took as about half an hour!!! After all our mood was completely ruined and we did not realized that in addition to everything else the tank was not filled with gas at the moment we finally got our car after 5,5 hours of negotiations and waiting in the line!!! I would like to mention that were told several times at the front desk by the worst agent we ever had business with -Austin (Fort -Lauderdale (FLL) location) who treated us as a s**t all way long, that the tank must be full of gas at the moment we return a car, and the contract states that if we do not fill the tank with gas, the company charges us $ 5.6 per gallon. The receipt that we have clearly confirmed the amount of missing gas was used not by us, since we drove just 16 miles, but by the previous customer. I wanted to be reimbursed for the gas we did not use, that is why I contacted their customer service via email. But this company does not treat their customers as people and the only one answer I received from them was: “Good day, This is how we gave you. There is no a pending refund for gas.” So, If YOU ARE THINKING OF RENTING YOUR CAR THROUGH ECONOMY RENTACAR....Never ever do it!!!!

Dante Berardi London, ON

Terrible experience. They use low prices online to trap you into reserving and then double the price with hidden fees upon pick up. They also make it impossible to cancel the reservation by making you email the american office with no explanation of how long a reply will take. There are also fees to cancel the reservation so once they tell you about the hidden fees upon pick up you cannot go to another rental company. Indifferent / boarder-line rude customer service staff (mississauga location), many not wearing PPE properly. Car was in okay shape but had many large stains on the inside and had “maintenance required” light on when we picked it up. NEVER BOOK WITH THIS COMPANY.

Andre Godin Minneapolis, MN

I would give Economy Rent A Car a negative rating if I could. One stat feels why too overvalued. I was hooked by the $9 per day rental price. Way too good to be true, as it turned out. I had made a reservation for a 5-day rental, to be picked up st the Fort Lauderdale airport. When I got to the counter, the agent asked for proof of insurance. I gave her my card to peruse, and thought that was the end of it. She asked if I had brought my actual policy with me! When I responded "no", she said that I needed to verify with my agent that I had "suitable" collision insurance. In short, I called my agent and he spoke with the Economy employee. She informed me I didn't have enough insurance and they would put a $1000 fee on my Amex Card. Their insurance rates were ridiculously inflated, along with other hidden fees (Sun Pass, e.g.). I decided not to proceed with this rental, and since I did not rent through Economy, wanted a full refund ( approximately$77.00). The counter lady lied by telling me I needed to get the refund through Expedia (where I booked the initial reservation). I went back to the terminal to rent another car. When I contacted Expedia, they said no, Economy had already processed the payment, and I needed to get them to refund me. I called up Economy Service Center, and after being on hold for 20+ minutes, the agent said I needed to send an email request. I received an email stating that I was not entitled to any refund BUT because I was a "valued customer" they would honor my request, LESS A $35.00 processing fee. In their email they said my request would be processed in 30 BUSINESS DAYS due to the high volume of refund requests. There's a shocker. This was on 8/6/20, and I am still waiting a refund of about $40. IF YOU ARE THINKING OF RENTING YOUR CAR THROUGH ECONOMY RENTACAR....DON'T!!!! I did not do my due diligence by checking out the numerous complaints, and got burned.

Edward Chung , WA

BE VERY AWARE OF THIS RIPOFF SCAM ARTIST RENTAL CAR COMPANY ECONOMY, AND IT'S AFFILIATE AIRPORTRENTALS.COM BASED OUT OF NEW ZEALAND. THEY HAVE HUNDREDS IF NOT THOUSANDS OF REALLY BAD REVIEWS AND COMPLAINTS. WHEN I BOOKED MY RESERVATION WITH THEM 4 MONTH'S PRIOR I PURCHASED RENTAL CAR INSURANCE THROUGH THIS AIRPORTRENTALS.COM IN ADVANCE. WHEN I GOT THERE THE CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT TOLD ME HE DIDN'T KNOW WHO THAT COMPANY WAS AND THEY DON'T HONOR THAT COMPANY'S INSURANCE. I TOLD HIM "WHAT"!? THIS INSURANCE COMPANY'S INSURANCE (AIRPORTRENTALS.COM) IS POSTED AND ADVERTISED ON SAME ECONOMY WEBSITE I MADE MY RESERVATION ON! HE STILL DENIED AND SAID HE DOESN'T KNOW WHO THEY WERE AND THAT I HAD TO BUY INSURANCE DIRECTLY FROM THEM. I TOLD HIM WHAT HOW COME WHEN I RENTED CAR'S FROM ADVANTAGE RENTAL CAR'S BEFORE THEY TOLD ME RENTAL CAR INSURANCE IS OPTIONAL IN VEGAS. HE THEN SAID TO ME "EVERY COMPANY IS DIFFERENT". THE GUY ALSO TRIED TO GET ME TO ACCEPT A MINI VAN INSTEAD OF A CHEAP ON GAS ECONOMY CAR I MADE MY RESERVATION FOR ONLINE. HE SAID THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY SMALLER SIZED CAR'S THAT I MADE MY RESERVATION FOR. AFTER ARGUING VEHEMENTLY WITH HIM ABOUT MY CAR RESERVATION CHOICE HE FINALLY SAID HE WAS GONNA GIVE ME A NISSAN SENTRA BUT THE INSURANCE FOR THE SMALLER CAR WOULD BE HIGHER THAN THE MINIVAN. BY THIS TIME I WAS REALLY STARTING TO FLIPOUT "AND GETTING LOUD". HE KNEW IT TOO SO HE FINALLY SAID HE WAS GONNA GIVE ME THE SENTRA FOR THE LOWER PRICED INSURANCE (WHICH AS I MENTIONED UP ABOVE ADVANTAGE RENTAL CAR'S TOLD ME IT'S OPTIONAL IN VEGAS). ECONOMY RENTAL CAR'S ARE A RIPOFF. THEIR SCAM IS TO LURE YOU AWAY FROM THE MAIN MCCARRAN AIRPORT RENTAL STATION. ONCE THEY GET YOU TO THEIR YARD AREA THEY TRY TOO RIP YOU OFF BY TRYING TO HUSTLE YOU BY TACKING BOGUS CHARGES. BECAUSE THEY KNOW YOU'RE STUCK NOW IN A BIND AND CANNOT REALLY FIND A LAST MINUTE BETTER DEAL WITH THE OTHER COMPANIES. ALSO BE VERY AWARE OF AIRPORTRENTALS.COM OUT OF NEW ZEALAND AND THEIR INSURANCE PITCH ON THE SAME ECONOMY WEBSITE. THEY ARE AN AFFILIATE OF ECONOMY RENTAL CAR'S AND CLAIM TO TAKE CARE OF ANY COMPLAINTS AGAINST ECONOMY, THEY'RE PHONY. AND BOGUS. THEY'RE REALLY THE MAIN SCAM SOURCE FOR ECONOMY. IF SOMEBODY OUT THERE IS A LAWYER AND READING ALL THESE COMPLAINTS AGAINST ECONOMY AND AIRPORTRENTALS.COM,"PLEASE FILE A CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST THESE RIPOFF CROOKS". THIS HAS GOT TO BE STOPPED!

William Bolton La Porte, IN

The worst car rental company I’ve ever rented from. Told us we had to use there SunPass toll device to use there car around Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and travel down to the Keys. This is a LIE! You can purchase your own, even a SunPass Mini and place the rental cars License Plate ID on your account ( then remove it when you return the car Cost for Mini $12.00 . Cost for regular SunPass $4.99 plus toll fees. Economy charged us $8.00/day... Then They try to sell you all sorts of extra insurance, hold a $1000.00 deposit fee (given back at end of lease or charge not sent thru)... then add on all the extra fees, tax , etc... I recommend going with a name brand rental agency you know.... https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/sunpassTransponders.shtml

Michael r mason Fairfax, VA

Avoid renting from Economy Rental Car. This company is run by scam artists. I rented a car from there recently and, as I always do, I declined their insurance coverage. I have a credit card that I always use when I travel that covers collision and liability for rental cars. I use it when I travel national and internationally and I have never had a problem getting a rental car company to accept it. Economy said they could only accept it for collision but not for liability. The guy at the desk argued that this was posted on the web site but I have been able to find it. So, I offered my regular car insurance (State Farm) and they said that they would take that for liability coverage. Then the agent claimed that I would still have to pay $9 a day for liability. I told him that this didn't make sense since I already gave him my credit card and my personal auto insurance card. He still insisted I needed to pay $9 per day or I could leave a deposit for $1000! I told the guy that there was no way I was going to leave $1000 for his company to use at their pleasure. Well, since I couldn’t get a car by that time anywhere else, I paid the extra charge and went on my way. In the end, it turned out I could have gotten a rental for the same price as what I paid Economy Rental Car if I had gone with a more expensive company. So, beware of this company. Don't be fooled by their initial low rates. They will scam you for additional expenses.

Scott from Dallas ,

Should be a "0". Please people, do not ever rent from Economy Car Rental. We must band together to drive them out of business. I rented a car for 30 days at a very healthy price for the company to make a profit (not discounted) of over $750 for the month. I had the printed (on paper) insurance coverage letter from my credit card company. They stated that they don't honor it and REQUIRE their mandatory coverage at $35/day ($1,000 extra for the month). I told him I wouldn't pay it and he replied "then we don't rent you the car", which they know leaves you stranded so you will take it anyway. I argued enough to get the lower cost insurance that he initially denied having, at a cost of $20/day extra, doubling the cost of my car and then charged sales tax of 13% on top of the insurance cost. If you take the car and intend to turn it in early so that you can find a better company, you get no refund, either. They don't even provide proof that you actually have purchased insurance nor that they will really forward the "sales tax" to the country. Do not get tempted to use this company.

Raul Toronto, ON

This company is a fraud and the government must intervene to take an affirmative action against this company since they are getting away from fraud. I booked a reservation through carrentals.com which has no contact information and users are forced to contact Economy Rent a car mediocre customer care. I initially signed up for unlimited mileage, but upon arrival, I was told to take 11.99$/day insurance w/ only 200 Km/day allowance since I was taking the vehicle to Buffalo, NY and worst, there is a fee per day for taking the vehicle across the border. Carrentals.com never mentioned anything about these hidden mandatory fees which users are obligated to pay or lose all your money since prepaid transactions are not refunded. I refused to rent a vehicle, but still got charged for the entire booking. It is a full-blown scam and Economy Rent A Car must be held accountable for fraud. I will never use carrentals.com or neither Economy Rent A car ever in my life.

Andrea Belmont, MA

I have rented many cars over the past few years and I have never had an experience like I did with Economy. I rented online through my account on Expedia. The rates were not expensive so I booked it. I have my own comprehensive and collision insurance which also includes liability insurance as well as glass coverage. I did look into the additional charges page and nothing seemed out of the ordinary to me. So I declined there insurance coverage due to having my own. Once I arrived at Economy I was asked for proof of my insurance (this was a first for me). After pulling up my policy online, I was told that my liability coverage did not cover their requirements and I would have to pay for their liability insurance or I could not have the car. Feeling stuck at that point, I had no other option. Along with the liability insurance I was also charged for Glass and Tire Protection. Once I was at my destination, I went searching for their disclosures regarding the liability insurance information and I had to go through four different online pages to finally find it. I feel that this should be on the first page, at the same location as the check box for their insurance because at that same moment a consumer would be able to make a more informed decision as to whether they need it or not. It is not considered an ethical business practice when the consumer is deceived through advertised lower prices and not allowed the opportunity to make a more informed decision without jumping through hoops to find the disclosures. I will no longer rent through this company.

Deb Ambler, PA

Horrible. Rip off. Waited 30 minutes to be taken to the middle of nowhere to pick up car only to be told that we needed our insurance declaration page or we would need to buy their insurance. They only accept some insurance companies anyway. Also told that we needed to buy the Sunpass. The rep lived in Orlando for 8 Years but didn’t know what roads needed the pass and they didn’t have that information. We got an Uber out of there! The next day we went to another car company who gave us the Sunpass information and didn’t make us but their insurance. Save yourself A lot of grief and don’t use Economy. If you prepay and decide not to buy the insurance or Sunpass, you will lose your deposit. It’s hard to believe these guys are still I business. Ufortunately. I did not look at any reviews before I booked the car. I won’t do that again!

michael alawee Dunnellon, FL

We rented a car from economy rent a car through Jet car rental in Dorval QC. From the time we got to the rental site we had bad service. We were forced to buy insurance for $40/day, when we knew our insurance would cover it but we could not prove it as it was after hours. Also there was a $500 deposit. The sales person was extremely rude even to the customer before us. We had to take the car because there was no other alternative and no cancellation. The car was so filthy that we could not see out the windows. when we returned the car 4 days later the desk attendant was different, but the driver was the same rude person that originally checked us in. He was on the phone the entire trip to the airport and didn't even stop to assist with our luggage. I would not advise anyone to rent a car from them.

Marc harris Henderson, NV

ZERO star for Economy Car rental. Expedia should have better third party vendors. They attempted to help but Economy was rude to them as well and doesn’t care about customer service. Reservation for a car in my name (driver) with 83 old mothers credit card. I was only helping my mother who doesn’t like to fly drive to a special family event. Didn’t see an issue at first. I have a drivers license, AAA insurance forever and debit. She has identification and the credit card we used to reserve. Additional driver to take her. I don’t rent cars often. I called immediately and they wouldn’t change, cancel or refund an 83 year old who can’t drive ! They wouldn’t allow a debit as exception from me the driver WITH her credit card and Identification and being present knowing her age she’s obviously not driving. They wouldn’t allow anything except they wanted her money!!!!!! Crooks!!!!!!! Beware!!!!!!!

Richard Perry

I pre-rented a car from Economy thru Expedia to be picked up in Montreal. I made this selection based on best price. When I arrived at their location I was told that I needed to buy mandatory $11.95/day liability insurance. This increased the rental cost by 50%. I have rented cars all over the world and never before had to buy additional liability insurance. (I have it for my personal cars) I tried to get both Economy and Expedia to refund the liability portion of the rental but neither would do anything. So I will never rent from Economy again (how do you know what the cost will be?) and will avoid Expedia as well. They need to do a better job of screening businesses that use their site and a better job of helping customers that are cheated).

Run Away From Economy!! Ellicott City, MD

As everyone else has stated, these people are CROOKS!!! I rented a car via Priceline in Santo Domingo for a very low price. Upon arrival at the airport, an extra $200 was tacked on for insurance. I then went through a grueling process to secure the necessary paperwork to prove to the Economy representative that my US insurance covers cars out of the country. After reviewing my paperwork, the representative tells me everything looks good & to “hop in line” (because I had gotten out of line in order to make the call to my insurance provider). After standing in line for over an hour (listening to everyone argue about being scammed), I finally reach the country only to be told that I still needed to purchase their insurance. Needless to say, I did not and will never rent from this crooked car company! Renters beware!!

Herrera Port Jefferson Station, NY

I booked through Priceline for our trip in Las Vegas, NV on August 31st - September 8th. We opted to not take the insurance through Economy since our car insurance company allows us to transfer it onto the rental car. When requesting for the insurance to be taken off of the bill, an extra $200 or so, we were met with extreme shadiness from Alan, the rep at the counter. We were told that we cannot opt out of the insurance unless we get a special approval from our own insurance company. We called our insurance company immediately and even put the insurance rep on the phone with Alan but still was told that it cannot be waived. When expressing our frustrations, we were simply told that “we don’t have to take the car if we are not happy with this.” This was on top of rude and condescending comments he was making, with us right in the office. Since it was very late (our plane landed at close to 11pm), we did take the car but returned it the very next day after securing another car for the entire week through another car rental company without any trouble when opting out of the insurance. I will NEVER rent through Economy again.

John Ferchak Quakertown, PA

What a scam! It is no surprise that over 90% of reviewers give Economy Rent A Car the lowest rating possible. Because I didn't look at the reviews beforehand, I fell for the advertised low prices on my recent trip to Fort Lauderdale. I booked through rentalcar.com, which must be in on the scam. I prepaid to rentalcover.com for insurance coverage to avoid problems. When I arrived, and then spent one hour getting to the Economy office, I was told that my coverage was only collision, that liability insurance was mandatory, which I then had to buy from them. That doubled the cost of my booking. I avoided the sales pitch and costs for the "necessary" tollbooth transponder. This company's activities should be illegal, probably are, but nobody has sued yet. Stay away! Book with an established rental agency. I never had such trouble with any other rental company.

Edin Hidic Bothell, WA

I want to warn people not to rent from this company ever. I paid car in advance, unfortunately, and when we came to office everything went wrong, from price, insurance, deposit so we gave up from taking car. The same thing happen to 2 other customers and we all called taxi and left the rental office in Las Vegas on June 30th 2019 around 7 p.m. Staff even did not try to explain that even if we do not take car that money will not be reimbursed to us. So it happens that we were charged for 5 days of rent for car which we never took. I called office in Florida and they gave me e-mail to complain in writing, which did not work. It seems that they are only good in charging for service which they are not offering at the end.

Lisa P Las Vegas, NV

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! Absolute crooks. We purchased through Priceline, purchased the additional insurance through Priceline. We were prepared for the mandatory insurance for Mexico that we paid to the company when we picked up. Upon pickup the employee took photos and told he she would email them immediately. She never did! When we returned the car, in the exact condition we received it the kid and the front looked at it and said ok. When we got up to the desk ( room 115 in a hotel) Cecelia asked the kid if the Can was ok. He said yes. She said she needed to look at it. After 30 I asked the guy at the desk if she was returning and he called her. Well she of course returned and said there was a scratch. We demand to see the before and after photos, This requested was refused for 45 minutes. The photos were eventually received because we refused to sign the credit card charges and there were no difference visible in the before and after photos. We paid the $92 in damages because we would have missed our flight. And we had no way to fight a made up scratch in that office. We will file a claim but it is very sad the lengths this company goes to in order to take advantage of customers. Making up invisible damage, keeping people in the office without information until they know they have to catch a flight. Horrible horrible company.

RM Cincinnati, OH

This was the worst car rental place I have ever used. Zero stars would be more applicable to the service I received here. I arrived on a Thursday evening ready to pick up my car. However, I was unaware I needed full proof of insurance. The person working the desk would not accept simply my insurance policy #. I had the card that is in my wallet. Apparently that is good enough for the police when you get into an accident, but not good enough to use for rental insurance. As it was late in the evening, and after my insurance company's office hours, I was unable to get the paperwork needed. The person helping me required me to buy insurance through Economy even though my insurance covers rentals. I had no other option, since I had to drive two hours that evening to get to my destination. Friday morning I called my insurance, and requested a copy of my full policy. I forwarded it to the email the economy representative instructed. I followed up with a phone call, and spoke with the manager, Esteban R. He would not accept my insurance unless I came into the actual office. I explained to him that I was two hours away. I requested that he email me the documents required, and I would print, sign, and return them. He refused. He insisted that I needed to be present in order to switch over to my insurance. As Esteban gave me no other option, I had to take half a day out of my vacation to drive back to Orlando to sign new paperwork. Additionally, it took over a month to get my deposit returned. I called 5x to Economy rent a car, and spoke with different people. If you need a manager, you have to email. There is no one at the customer service management level that will speak to you over the phone. This was absolutely awful! The worst customer service car rental place I have encountered yet.

ColtonYYZ

I booked via a 3rd party booking site which stated in bold, UNLIMITED MILEAGE, however upon arrival/check-in, I was told that I should have read the terms and conditions on the booking website I used, yet the emailed confirmation doesn't state this. They also advised the unlimited mileage only applies to foreign visitors, not domestic residents. After showing them what it says in bold, they wouldn't back down. Only 200 kms a day would be given. After a while of arguing, leaving, returning due to lack of other options, they up'd it to 250 km a day as a final compromise. Accepting the facts, I proceeded to book at which time I was told the deposit needed would be $500, unlike almost all other rental agencies which normally holds anywhere from cost of booking to $250. Once again I was in a jam due to hotel bookings/deposits etc on my card as this was unexpected. Once settled, I was able to pick a car I really love so the sting was a little less painful. Upon return however, I was hit again with a surprise of being over charged for fuel. I chose the prepaid option, leaving with 7/8 of a tank, and charged for a full tank. Minor, yet one more issue I didn't appreciate. They did however, give me a break on the price per km which was unexpected and very much appreciated, considering. However, the saga continued... When I got home (after questioning the total at the counter doing math in my head), I noticed I was charged an extra $36 approx for a fee called: AMF. This was not included in the original booking website - which legally should have been. I immediately called the 3rd party booking site to explain everything that had happened, to which they apologized to me on behalf of the car rental agency, and refunded me the overage km charges. They didn't cover the taxes on this portion, nor the AMF fee at first, but then after a follow up call to them, was offered a coupon towards another booking. Economy refuses to accept ANY responsibility with my experience and blames me for not reading the terms and conditions. RENTER BEWARE! I will never rent from them again. This I assure you. I rent a lot of cars, am a member of several car sharing companies and I've never had such a bad experience - ever! NOT RECOMMENDED!

bigperk23 Wakefield, MA

I recently have reserved a car with your company for 1-6 May 2019. I was very disappointed with your service. The price that you gave me was very different when I got there in person. The person who was servicing me had no integrity. He tried to cheat me at every turn. Wanted to charge me extra because I had a debit card instead of a credit card, told me I "Had" to have insurance because it was a state law, which is the craziest thing I've ever heard. So i went to Alamo, I had no problems getting a car with my debit card and insurance was optional. I have rented cars all over the world and in foreign countries and never have i heard such foolishness. I will never use your company again and will advise all my associates on how dishonest your employees are. This is the worst rental car experience I've ever seen. I served 22 years in the military and was treated better by the enemy. The only reason you get one star is because you have to enter something. I absolutely hate dishonesty!!!

Layla

Worst company every bunch of thieves and thugs working on the counter. I came to pick up the rental car had everything with me the visa debit that I paid with, license and insurance the guy demanded that I provide an additional credit card so he can charge me for additional fees even though everything was already paid for or he said I could add another driver but first I would have add the other driver to the insurance l. I refused since I am the ONLY driver and the reservation is for me. So I asked for cancellation and refund but he outrightly refused. This guy was so rude and obnoxious I asked for his name but he refused to tell me what his name was. This is the Toronto location. I am going to try to get help with my bank other wise going to take them to court.

Sarah Coats, NC

THEY CHARGED ME $530 FOR A SCRATCH. They say they have to replace the panel. 1) I think it was already on the car (take really good before pictures!) 2) It’s literally a scratch. No way are they going to replace the panel.