Dollar Logo

6.2

LAST UPDATED: August 30th, 2021
Henry Caruso founded Dollar Car Rental in Los Angeles in 1966. In 1990, Chrysler picked it up as a business holding. Today, they have more than 358 rental locations in the United States, renting mostly Chrysler and GM brand vehicles with many different American carmakers represented on the market.

Hertz Logo
#2 Hertz chevron_right
4.0
Sixt Rent A Car Logo
#3 Sixt Rent A Car chevron_right
1.3
star star_half star_border star_border star_border

The Good

• Low, competitive prices
  • Available in 48 states
  • Online check-in

Economy Price Range

Dollar's rates are extremely low and very competitive in the industry. Note: While they may have some of the lowest prices in the business, extras fees and taxes are sure to bring the price range up. Dollar offers a Best Rate Guarantee, meaning that if a customer finds a lower rate on another website that they will match the price and give a ten percent discount. Dollar also has a program for businesses, called Dollar 4Business. Dollar 4Business provides small- to mid-sized businesses with discounts, as well as waiving fees for multiple drivers or underage drivers, free rental points and more.

States Available

Dollar locations can be found in 48 states. Customers can find a Dollar location in the majority of the U.S. There are some companies that have locations in all 50 states and others that only have locations in less than 25 states.

Airports Locations

Dollar has rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. Almost anywhere you land in the U.S. and Canada, a Dollar site is there. Dollar has one of the highest number or locations available for car rentals, increasing availability and convenience for travelers.

Toll Prepay Option

Dollar offers what they call PlatePass T, a toll pass you can order and prepay through their website during the check out process. This makes a customers' commute much easier and saves time compared to ordering it at the rental counter last minute. This also saves the driver from having to pay cash at toll booths and waiting in a long line to pay.

Online Check-In

Dollar offers online check-in through their RapidRental check-in platform which requires a customer's driver's license, date of birth, and other vital driver's information. This speeds up the rental process without having to do it in person.

The Bad

• Lack of transparency with cancellation policy
  • Roadside assistance programs
  • No instant return

Luxury Price Range

Luxury vehicle rates are average in the car rental industry. Some companies in the industry offer better rates for luxury cars.

Cancellation Policies

Dollar does not appear to discuss a cancellation policy in their Terms and Conditions or anywhere on their website. You can cancel a reservation online, but we are not clear whether there are associated feeds or not.

Roadside Assistance

Dollar offers their roadside assistance or Premium Emergency Roadside Service (PERS), as part of what they call protection packages-either the Risk Eliminator, Risk Reducer or Risk Freedom package. It's not the best option because you have to pay for a whole package to get one feature. Most companies in the industry offer roadside assistance for as low as $4.99 per day. Also, you can't know how much it costs until you contact the local rental location you plan on using. This is due to the fact that this service is not guaranteed at every location.

On-Site Fuel Discount

Dollar does not offer an on-site fuel discount. If the traveler uses the car for less than 100 miles and fills the fuel off-site, they will only need to present a fuel receipt and not be charged a service fee.

Instant Return

Dollar requires that you return the car in person. There is no instant return. Most companies make you return the car in person. Dollar customers should be aware that they will be charged a $20 fee for returning vehicles before their scheduled drop-off date and time. Some customers have even reported receiving an early drop-off charge for returning their car a mere twenty minutes before the scheduled time.

The Bottom Line

If you are traveling on a budget, you won't find many places with lower prices than Dollar's economy car rental rates. In fact, if you do find lower Dollar rates on another site, you will receive an even greater discount on your rental. These kinds of rates are ideal for frequent travelers not looking to break the bank, or for business travelers who can receive discounts and benefits with a membership. Dollar's online check-in feature is a valuable time-saver for busy travelers. However, some of their additional features (or lack thereof) are not ideal, but the company's low pricing makes their services worth considering.

3.4

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

My experience with dollar car rental was fantastic! Recently when I went on a trip to Atlanta to visit my grandmother I rented from Dollar car rental through Priceline. Everything went so smoothly. Once I arrived to the airport the Dollar car rental staff was unbelievably kind and helped me find the car in a timely manner as well as hear my concerns about car rentals as it something I’m off to nervous about. I used my car rental from dollar for a week and had no issues at all. The car was clean and full of gas when I went to rent and I returned it in the same manner. I can’t say enough good things about not only the customer service but also the efficiency of dollar car rental.

Jason Burt Riverton, UT

Recently rented a midsize SUV on a trip to Orlando. The car was clean and worked great. The agent we dealt with was helpful and easy to deal with. The price we paid was very reasonable.

Steve Knight Salt Lake City, UT

I use their website and find that they often have good rates and availability. I've only had one case in which they didn't have the vehicle I reserved. Instead of upgrading me for free, they were going to charge me. Other than that one disappointment, my experience has been good.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

As the name implies, Dollar car rental is great on economy. It allows me to get rentals for cheaper, for longer, and upgrades are more obtainable too. They have tons of locations for easy pickup and drop-off. Contract check out is also very efficient.

Nobody Else Biddeford, ME

I had a breakdown. I called for 2 days before somebody answered and was able to send out a tow truck. This company is a joke. Their breakdown service is all handled from overseas and they do not care. They said they would call back (three times) and they never did. They lie to you and do not care. I will never use them again after this trip. Company does not care and is run by clowns.

Breanna Jones Salt Lake City, UT

Whenever I've needed a rental, this is where I check first because prices are usually the best. I have been happy with every rental. Cars are always really clean when I get them. I left sunglasses in my rental once and was actually able to get them back.

Ryan Harpenau Fayetteville, AR

I went to the beach in August and had trouble with getting plane ticket so I got a rental car from Dollar and it was super easy and a lot better cost than other companies available. I ended up not needing the car, but since you don't pay upfront all you have to do to cancel is just not show up which is super easy.

Steve Jones Riverton, UT

If you're looking for a really affordable alternative when renting a car, look no further than Dollar rental. I am very pleased with my recent experience and the level of service they provided me, and will definitely be using them agains soon.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

We rented on line through Dollar rent a car and were really pleased with the price. When we arrived in Denver, Colorado, we took our shuttle to the Dollar rent a car place and the line was out the door. There was only 1 person helping and we waited for over an hour. When we got to the front they said that particular car we prepaid for wasn't available anymore so they upgraded us for free! We loved it, but hated the wait after our flight.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

Dollar is an affordable rental car service that has a good rewards program. It's free to join the rewards program which makes things easy and nothing to commit to financially. If you want a second driver, their additional driver fee is super cheap. This isn't something I generally use often when I travel but it is a nice luxury for those that do travel in pairs.

Whit Orem, UT

I recently used Dollar for a trip. The car we received was clean and ready to use. I didn't appreciate however that when billed there was a confusion on prices. I feel like the customer service could have been better.

Carol Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Dollar rental car is a good cost effective company to rent a car from. They are always a company I like to check and compare prices against competitors.

Dpr

This is my ongoing story of their counter staff falsely informing me of ‘mandatory policies’ That I must agree to pay for or else I won’t get my vacation car. “My confirmation number is ********** I have been asked to send you a private message to discuss my complaint. I emailed full details of my complaint in but nobody was interested in dealing with it. I came over on vacation from the UK, and clearly made it obvious that I was a UK citizen, I was quoted a price that I was told didn’t need anything else adding to it. Then when I got to the counter a very forceful woman told me that I must purchase additional insurances and that I wasn’t eligible for the price I was quoted and charged more than double what was remaining on the loan. I questioned it at the time but was told that my price was only valid for US citizens and not for overseas visitors. I feel as though I have been robbed, and sold a false story of what I could have. Had I realised that this was how you operated your business, then I would have used another company. I’ve only chosen to use Facebook to complain as you have ignored m for a week now through usual channels I await your response. How long do you think it will take your team to investigate? I also have pay by plate tolls to settle from my return to the airport as there was no other way to get there other than on the toll road, and I can’t access information on how to pay them fl fore you add even more charges. I didn’t buy your service as I only needed it for the last hour of my holiday and didn’t want to be charged for 16 days just for that small section of my trip Hello Damon. I sincerely regret any misunderstanding. After reviewing your concerns, I can confirm the daily rate quoted did not change. However, the service for Liability Insurance Supplement is optional and was accepted on your rental agreement. The charged billed are correct and no refund is warranted. -Ross I am not happy with your explanation. The liability insurance was not optional as your staff member told me that it was mandatory that I take it as I was not allowed to take the vehicle without it as I was from the UK. She also said that I had to sign the documents to accept the charge or I could not have the car. She also tried afterwards to pressure me into paying even more for the fully comprehensive policy for yet another $600, the charge is not correct as I was given no choice but to take that policy, and you have now confirmed that the woman behind the counter blatantly lied about it to me to make me pay extra. I can only assume that she gets bonuses for all the extra charges they sell. The process is disgusting and this response from you just goes to show how that the issue is systemic throughout your organisation. Your delays look like another excuse to not own up to the shady practices that your company operates. If you are not willing to give me back the forced sold charged then I have no choice but to make this situation public so that no others suffer this level of deceit and theft of their highly valued “Dollars” Damon, I assure you that your concerns have been noted and forward to the appropriate management team for further internal review. Unfortunately, we are unable to reconstruct a conversation that takes place at the rental counter so we must rely on the signed contract. While this is not the preferred resolution, we do hope you can understand our position regarding this matter. -LuciAnna No I do not understand or accept your position. You are basically calling me a liar, to suggest that the conversation did not take place and that the signature that I was told I had no choice but to sign by your staff member or else I would not get the car whilst my wife and 2 small daughters waited with all our vacation luggage is the only method of verifying what took place. Your standpoint allows your staff free reign to rip off all customers for as much as they choose to with no risk of repercussion as you will always side with them with the standpoint that the signature confirms they behaved appropriately and not in the deceitful and underhand manner I which they do in fact operate. I am truly disgusted that in a country which prides itself on customer service you allow such practices to take place freely and with the full support of the organisation. I will pursue this to whoever I need to to ensure this practice is exposed and your staff acknowledged as the deceitful people they are, and your organisations happy support and encouragement by way of commissions of their behaviour” This is ongoing as all they do is ignore what I say, then make me wait at least 24 hours for a response regardless of how quickly intent to them now I find out that despite my asking you numerous times about paying the tolls before you rip me off even more for that too, you’ve ignored every single request for that information and now taken another £35 from me for a $6 toll

Pat Michael Brewerton, NY

We rented a car and picked it up at Atlanta Airport. It was reserved in advance. They told us what area to go to pick up the car. There were no cars available. Why reserve one? Several customers were walking around trying to find cars. The ones there all had problems. No one was there to help. As cars were returned,or showed up customers were grabbing them. Finally we were able to get one. The lady at the checkout was very friendly. We told her about our experience and she offered us a upgrade, but at that point we just wanted to get out of there. It seemed like no one cared or was willing to help other than the wonderful lady at checkout. I won't be using Dollar again!

Joanna Hester Gilbert, AZ

This summer we have taken a lot of road trips. We didn't want to run the miles up on our car, so we searched for rental cars. I found great car at Dollar at a price lower than all the competitors.

nika n

We booked a car on rentalcars.com. From 10/03/16 Jacksonville Fl to 10/14/2016 Miami FL After the hurricane Matthew the front door got damaged ,so on October 8 2016 we drove to Daytona beach Rental Car Dollar to change cars. The staff consisted of two members, a manager and a clerk who refused to disclose their last names. They asked us if we smoked in the car and we said no. The clerk went to inspect the car to make sure we're telling the truth. On her way there she lightened up a cig and got inside while smoking. Makes you wonder how the car could possibly smell after such an unprofessional inspection or how likely would it be to find ashes inside the car? Anyway she then returned to the office and told the manager that we smoked in the car. After we pointed out that the clerk smoked during her inspection, which she later confirmed to be true, the manager clearly became embarrassed at the revelation and said she's gonna check herself. What she eventually found in the car was some sort of dust or dirt or whatever it was. No one could determine for sure what it was, however the manager could care less about any of our arguments and charged us a 300$ smoking fee for nothing. (Recently they returned back the said 300$ and charged 461$ instead.) There was virtually no evidence to support their claim, they didn't even bother to use a smoking detector. In my opinion this company should face legal consequences for extorting money from customers, especially because it seems that they don't even care about their own reputation.

Ryan Palmer Arlington, TX

Upon arrival to sunny, Southern California, the associate at the counter offered me a discounted rate for a convertible. I explained that since I was there for work and paying for the rental with my company card, I would need the vehicle upgrade fee to be charged to my personal credit card. He assured me that I could do so upon turn-in. This didn't happen. Further, when I called the customer service and billing line, I was told not only that they would not help me but that vehicle upgrade charges could never be charged separately. I begged for her help in whatever way she could offer it. She just asked if I had ever rented a car before in a condescending manner and reiterated that they would not change a thing. I've never experienced such poor customer service with any company in any industry.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

Dollar rent a car is often on airport which is great. They have a good loyalty program and are connected to many airline frequent flyer programs. Their cars are new and clean and their staff are always professional and courteous.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

I usually just to a search of cars and try and find the best deal and cheapest price. In that search I often come across Dollar car rental and I am glad because I have used them many times and I know they have great cars and are reliable and take care of me as a customer to make everything as smooth as they can.

BLF Pleasant Grove, UT

We rented from Dollar rental for one of our vacations and really liked the car for the price. We did have to ride a little bit in a van to get to the rental place but that wasn't a problem because we saved over a hundred dollars.

Kristin G Pleasant Grove, UT

We have only used dollar Rent-A-Car once in Denver Colorado. We had to wait in line for over an hour to receive our car but when we did receive it they upgraded us to a larger automobile. We appreciated the compensation and would rent from them again .

L. Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

I have booked several times through Dollar and have been able to rent a dependable car for a good price. They are often a little cheaper than the big name companies, because their rental facility is ofter of the airport site and you have to take a shuttle. I don't mind taking a shuttle to pay less for a car.

Brette Draper, UT

On our trip to Hawaii we ordered a car from dollar because it was the cheapest, we were very happy with it, and were able to pick it up quickly as well as drop it off quickly giving us time to catch our flight home

Christi Gilbert Gettysburg, PA

Dollar is usually the lowest price for the same vehicle compared to all the other car rental places.

Brittany Bray Springville, UT

We just used dollar rental in Hawaii. They were great to work with us. Easy to work with. I was very happy with the price also.

Stephen S Tempe, AZ

We called dollar and rented a car over the phone for a reasonable price my wife does all the phone and paper work. When we went to pick up the car I was to be the driver the lady said the only person that can drive the car was the person that booked it which was my wife well she doesn't drive. So they made us rerent the car at an exorbitant price. I will never do business with dollar again no matter how cheap they give me the car.

Joy Hill Pleasant Grove, UT

Average experience. I wish the check in process was faster and easier. Every time I show up at a rental place it seems like there is an error in my reservation...

Gregory Allen Westerville, OH

I reserved a car thru SW airlines. They qouted $225.61 plus $101.03taxes/fees for a total of $326.64. Dollar charged me $630.00 for the midsize(as qouted thru SW) car returned intact(unlimited miles).

PessoaJ Herriman, UT

Our last experience with Dollar wasn’t stellar. We waiteD forever to get our car. They needed to have kore employees working to accommodate the amount of people.

Dave Brinton

Dollar rent a car is usually the most economical option. When booking for my family I always consider Dollar. Pretty good cars. Great prices.

Katie Lewis Eagle Mountain, UT

This company was very professional and easy to book with.. everything was ready when I got there

Shawn American Fork, UT

Dollar is always friendly and easy to work with. I have always been satisfied with the service.

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

It was simple to pick up the car and they were kind and happy employees. The car ran great and the trip went smoothly.

Ron Durfey Pleasant Grove, UT

Dollar rental cars is not my favorite. Their cars are dirty and smell like smoke. I tried to avoid Dollar at every opportunity. I will not use them if I can avoid it.

RJ Provo, UT

Getting the car at an airport was a long and tedious process. It seemed like they were understaffed and we were stuck for an hour.

Todd Homitz Evans City, PA

Not a great selection of cars and they seemed to be pretty high in price compared to their competitors.

Don Boren American Fork, UT

The car we picked up still had garbage in it from the previous user. There was also sand all over the floor.

Jami Lucas Eagle Mountain, UT

We rented in California and were stuck in line for over an hour! Then when we were greeted, she was so rude. Not worth the cheap price.