Costco Travel is not a car rental company; it is a membership service that sells exclusively to Costco members residing in the United States. Costco uses their buying authority to negotiate the best value in the marketplace, passing on the savings to Costco members for vacation packages, cruises, and rental cars.

#1 Enterprise chevron_right
3.9
#2 Hertz chevron_right
3.7
#3 Sixt Rent A Car chevron_right
1.3
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

The Good

• Economy Price Range
  • Luxury Price Range
  • Available in all 50 States
  • Airport Locations

Economy Price Range

Costco's service lets you find cars to rent for average prices in the industry. Costco members can get great discount rates at various rental companies when they book through Costco Travel. Not only do members receive discount base prices, but there are usually generous coupons available. These coupons provide inexpensive upgrades or dollar amounts off each rental. Because Costco Travel books for various rental companies, it also allows customers to compare up to four different rental locations at once, and highlights the lowest prices. This can make booking on a budget easier, not only because of its great discounts, but also by making price comparisons easy.

Luxury Price Range

Costco's luxury car prices are average in the car rental industry. They not only offer you a variety of prices, but the variety of cars is also expansive. Renters can compare more different kinds of vehicles on Costco Travel's website, and also check out more locations.

Available in all 50 States

Costco give you access to car rental companies in all 50 states. All you have to do is enter the state or city in the search box and there is a location available in not only airports but outside of the airport as well. Many companies only have airport locations. If you're a local resident who is a Costco member, this is ideal, since you don't have to go to the airport to rent a vehicle. The website provides a map, locating the various rental company sites that renters can book with, allowing them to consider price, vehicle type, and location all at once.

Airport Locations

Because of its aggregated database of car companies, Costco Travel lets you find companies with rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. Some car companies are limited location-wise. Costco offers reservations with multiple rental companies, giving you a broader scope of airport locations to meet your travel needs.

The Bad

• Instant Return Varies
  • No Packaged Roadside Assistance
  • No Toll Prepay Option
  • Lacking On-Site Fuel Discount
  • Inconsistent Online Check-In

Instant Return Varies

The rental companies that Costco Travel books with are: Alamo, Avis, Budget, and Enterprise. If you want to find out if you can return the car without waiting in line and leave the keys inside, it will depend on the policies of the company you choose to go with through Costco's website. This is an extra step for you to do, which is less convenient than having the information all in one place.

No Packaged Roadside Assistance

Because Costco Travel works with various other rental companies and has no cars or rental policies of its own, the booking service does nothing more than book a car. For purchasing roadside assistance or other services, customers need to work with the actual rental company of the car they are renting. This will typically make the rental process at pickup slower and more involved, and also leads to unexpected pricing.

Lacking On-Site Fuel Discount

Again, because Costco Travel does not have its own fleet and its own rental company, they do not offer on-site fueling discounts. Each rental company has their own fueling payment options, so you'll have to contact them or visit their website to find out.

No Toll Prepay Option

If you want to order toll passes through Costco's website to make your commute easier, you can't. The four companies Costco partners with have their individual toll prepay options. Like other additional features, you have to do the extra legwork to find out what toll options are from that specific company.

Inconsistent Online Check-In

Checking in your car from the website instead of the rental counter is not a possibility with Costco. You must ask the company whose car you choose to rent through Costco's website about their specific check-in options. Chances are, you'll have to come in person to check in your car.

The Bottom Line

Costco Travel is a great place to look if you're a Costco member trying to catch a discount price. The site is designed to make finding a great price (as well as location and selection) easy and to streamline price comparison. However, if you're going to want to purchase add-ons or special services, those prices are done through the rental company of the car itself. This can make pricing harder to compare and can actually make the process less streamlined and more work for you.

Sattar
August 5th, 2019 Walnut, CA DETAILS

i have made reservation through Costco auto rental program several times over the last few years - Budget, Alamo, National... everyone of them have extended and honored 'Costco discount' would highly recommend reserving your next car through Costco.

Keeli Hansen
July 22nd, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Costco always has the best deals and always is very helpful in finding what I need.

Costco Car Rental
July 16th, 2019 Lake Zurich, IL

Costco travel found a good deal on a rental car. However they are the middle man for the various rental car vendors. They happened to book us with Budget. It was not a good experience especially after 2 hours at the airport and 4 hours in flight. They gave us a scratched up car which we declined. Had to go back to desk to request a new one. Upon leaving the exit station where they check your car for existing damages, the Budget person was having a bad day and let us know she was. Rude and unfriendly. Won’t do Budget again and be careful with Costco booking through Budget. My son in law went through Costco and got Enterprise where they got a double upgrade and great service.

Marissa
June 10th, 2019 Redwood Falls, MN

My family has been able to find great car rental deals through Costco Travel. We always price compare with them and have been pleased.

Gail P.
June 7th, 2019 Auburn Hills, MI DETAILS

Have booked a rental car through Costco Travel on several occasions and pricing is great. Will continue renting through them, but will have to make sure the rental isn’t through Budget. The location at the Savannah Airport would not honor adding a second driver even after I called up the Costco website which specifically said the second driver does not have to be a Costco member. The agent insisted they had to be a member also. Finally gave up the fight and became the solo driver for the week. Costco shouldn’t use Budget if they don’t honor the agreement. What a disappointment.

Janessa
June 4th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

I've only used Costco travel to rent cars, but it is amazing. They always have the cheapest rates for cars and the best customer service. I love that the rental car comes with an extra driver and that you don't have to pay for the car until you actually use it, so if plans change you can cancel with no fees.

Julie Kincaid
May 28th, 2019 Soldotna, AK DETAILS

Every time I go to look for a rental car, I look here first. Nine times out of ten, Costco will have the best deal on rental cars, and they have the added bonus of allowing free cancellation of reservations. I would totally recommend them to other travelers, and I have done so many, many times.

Nana Asiata
May 21st, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

I love that I can use my Costco membership to rent cars. They have affordable prices and always has availability whenever we need it.

Ashley
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have used Costco Travel for our car rental only a few times. It was bundled into our vacation package and so we got a great discount. All the Costco travel agents that book our car are so friendly and helpful.

Jennifer
May 13th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I didn't even know that Costco offered rental vehicles through other agencies. We heard about Costco Travel through a friend and when I went online to book we found the same vehicle for almost half the price!! We have since went on to use them multiple times and will always check with Costco Travel before booking with anyone else!

BR
May 9th, 2019 Maple Grove, MN DETAILS

I am giving this review one star for the BUDGET rental car. I was quoted a price of $163.28 for a five day rental in Florida. I pick up my car at the airport and am charged $253.84. I asked why and was told this is a $100 deposit and it will be credited upon my return of the car. Once I return the car, I am still charged a total of $228.21. When asked why they said I am being charged for the Liability Insurance which I never agreed to have. I called customer service twice and their resolution is a 30% discount on the insurance I never agreed to because I had already returned the car. Beware of the bait and switch with BUDGET. I have used Costco rental cars multiple times before and have never paid more than my quoted price!

TripJack
January 15th, 2019 Naperville, IL DETAILS

Have rented cars on 5 occasions through CostCo. Very satisfied with each rental experience. Most recently, had 3 rental reservations while touring the Hawaiian Islands. Easily made reservations, favorable rental price, and extra driver is no charge. Will certainly use CostCo in future.

Kaitlyn George
December 5th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

The process was very simple and Costco has the cheapest car option available when I searched all the sites, including my credit card rewards.

Joe
October 15th, 2018 Westwood, NJ

Rented a car at budget through Costco I was supposed to get a full size the man at the counter said all they had available was a compact or for additional cost an suv wound up with a compact with 45000 miles on it

Tevita
September 27th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Used them for the first time a few months ago. They were a little lower in price compared to other rental companies. I would try them out again.

POLYANA LAVAKI
September 14th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I use costco travel for my rental cars all the time. I love how the amount that is quoted for you online is what you will pay when picking up your rental car. Most other rental places there's always hidden fees accosiated with reservations.

Leslie
September 11th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

Anytime I’ve used Costco for my travel needs I have always saved money over competitors. No problems whatsoever with my car rental or hotel. Definitely recommend!

Jo Lars
September 4th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Costco Travel always has great rental prices and I get to add a second driver for free! Sometimes I even get cash back in the form of a Costco gift card! Their search feature is easy to use but you do have to be sure that you are searching within the timeframe that the rental company is open. If you search for something when the company is closed, it won't even show you that option.

Dave Brinton
September 4th, 2018 DETAILS

I love everything Costco. The no hassle guarantee lets me book with confidence. Good deals are always available with their buying power. Fantastic customer service always.

Shanna
August 31st, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I always go through Costco Travel to rent cars. They offer great values and great options for rental cars. We've always been very happy with them

wanda
August 31st, 2018 Saint George, UT

best deal when booking a car rental. user friendly. you get to choose which car rental place you want to rent from. you even get to choose a few car rental places to compare prices. i like that they include how many passenger's will fit in each vehicle and how much space is available. they ask if you need a child seat. customer service over the phone, at pickup and drop off are always so happy, smiling and personable.

Tualagi
August 29th, 2018 Saint George, UT

awesome deals on vacation packages, car rentals and hotels. customer service is excellent. easy to cancel a reservation by calling customer service. when i booked our car rental here i just showed up to the car rental place and they already had my reservation, i was in and out within minutes.

Lesa Burgess
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have found better prices with Costco Travel rental cars several times compared to other leading companies. You can beat the customer service and the price!

NT
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

has really good deals and discounts for travel. i have found and booked cheap car rentals on costco travel. i like that they send your itinerary to your email immediately after booking. easy to cancel when i needed too. customer service was great!

Douglas Larson
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Just rented a car for the weekend and they did great! I appreciate that they offer a second driver for the same low price. We will continue to use them.

tini mapu
August 28th, 2018 Orem, UT

Costco always has such great prices. I don't think a lot of people realize that they have deals on travel needs. They are cheap and available to all Costco members. They also have very nice cars and options.

Jr
August 28th, 2018 Orem, UT

price is cheaper than booking from the actual rental car company. easy booking, confirmation is email immediately after booking, don't pay anything until pickup, cancellation is easy and great customer service.

J Paul Wright
August 27th, 2018 Central, UT

I used Costco Travel recently for a trip we took this year. The booking was easy (car rental) and the discounted price for using them along with a reputable car rental company was great. I will definitely be using this service again.

Aiga
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

i love Costco for many reasons and this option for travel and discount is my favorite. I book through costco travel for Enterprise. Easy process to book, choose the vehicle i want, i get a confirmation immediately in my email. Enterprise has always had the best deals through costco travel and vehicles in stock. thank you costco travel.

Robin
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

i just found out about Costco Travel. I love costco but i LOVE it more that they give amazing deals on rental cars, vacation packages and hotels.

Tilda
August 27th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Always good deals and easy to book. Always book car rental with them.

Mali
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

i have found really great deals for rental cars here. it's so easy to book and to cancel a reservation. they don't charge you for anything extra. they even send you a cancellation confirmation to your email so it is on file.

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We love going through Costco travel for our rental car needs. Costco has great prices for their rental cars and their customer service is great.

Carolynn
August 20th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

First time using Costco travel to book a rental and it was great. It compared cars and companies for me and found me the cheapest price. Will definitely be using again.

Jodie Larson
August 17th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I not only get great rates through Costco Travel, but I also get a free additional driver, which is very convenient when my husband and I go on a road trip! Their site is easy to use. I love that I can compare pricing from 4 local rental locations at a time. While the reservation is made right away, payment is not due until the car is picked up and, in the event that there is a change in plans, cancelling a reservation is quick and easy!

Marilyn Greer
July 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

I always book my rental cars through them because they are the least expensive.

king
July 10th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

i used them for the first time last year. not to bad getting deals with them

Sadie Scoville
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I totally trust Costco’s prices – I don’t hunt around too much because I know that their car rental prices will be the best value for the product

CAROLE SCOVILLE
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Costco is my favorite place to rent cars – because I know that if I get bad customer service at the actual car Rental Place., Costco will back me up

Joanna Hester
June 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I tried other travel websites and none can beat Costco prices. We used Costco travel for our rental car when we went to Hawaii. The price was unbeatable for a great car.

Libadia
April 19th, 2018 Kent, WA DETAILS

I am voicing a complaint about Avis Car Rental (Maui). I made the reservation through Costco Travel months in advance. I had reserved a 7 passenger van. When we arrived at Avis, we waited in line 20 minutes to speak to an agent. Then the agent tells me they did not have a van available. We had to wait about 25 minutes (in the 90+ degree weather) for Avis to hunt down a van from another rental place, then clean the vehicle and gas it. The van looked like someone had scraped a guard rail all along the driver side. When we returned the van at the end of the week, there was one person trying to check-in about 10 cars. This took 20+ minutes. I would seriously think twice about renting a vehicle from Avis again.

Hayley Lambdin
November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

Costco Travel was excellent for getting a rental car. On our last trip, we were able to get a killer discount in comparison to all of the other rental car sites. Costco just solves all the problems.

ousawvh2
October 25th, 2017 Leesburg, VA DETAILS

When I'm looking for a rental car for personal travel use Costco Travel is the first site I check. Normally they have the best rates I can find plus you get a 2nd driver for free. The 2nd driver free is a big cost savings.

Rosemary Jones
August 1st, 2017 Bonita Springs, FL

Never again with Costco or Enterprise. I rented a car through Costco from Enterprise in Philadelphia and returned it at the Baltimore airport. The car was a horrible Chrylser with over 50,000 miles on it. The agent apologized for the dirty upholstery! When we returned the car, the man looked over the car and off we went. Weeks after the car was returned, I received a notice that the car had damage. We did not incur any damage to the undercarriage of this car. This was either done before we picked up the car and didn't notice or in the return lot. We were told that Enterprise was under no obligation to inform us of the damage upon its return. Terrible service and subpar rental. Don't think you're getting a bargain with Costco, They save the old cars and bad rooms for you.