Costco Travel Logo

7.4

Costco Travel is not a car rental company; it is a membership service that sells exclusively to Costco members residing in the United States. Costco Travel rental uses its buying authority to negotiate the best value in the marketplace, passing on the savings to Costco members for vacation packages, cruises, and rental cars. Though a membership is required to use access these resources, those that shop at Costco are able to save and get travel rewards by taking advantage of the Costco vacation packages.

Hertz Logo
#2 Hertz chevron_right
4.0
Sixt Rent A Car Logo
#3 Sixt Rent A Car chevron_right
1.3
star star_half star_border star_border star_border

The Good

• Economy Price Range
  • Luxury Price Range
  • Available in all 50 States
  • Airport Locations
  • Unlimited Mileage

Economy Price Range

Costco's service lets you find cars to rent for average prices in the industry. Costco members can get great discount rates at various rental companies when they book through Costco Travel. Not only do members receive discount base prices, but there are usually generous coupons available. These coupons provide inexpensive upgrades or dollar amounts off of each rental. Because Costco Travel books for various rental companies, it also allows customers to compare up to four different rental locations at once, and highlights the lowest prices. This can make booking on a budget easier, not only because of its great discounts, but also by making price comparisons easy.

Luxury Price Range

Costco's luxury car prices are average in the car rental industry. They not only offer you a variety of prices, but the variety of cars is also expansive. Renters can compare a number of different vehicles on Costco Travel's website, as well as available locations.

Available in all 50 States

Costco Travel rental gives you access to car rental companies in all 50 states. All you have to do is enter the state or city in the search box on the Costco Travel website, and it will give you a number of options nearby using a map feature. These options include airport rentals as well as rentals located close to, but outside of the airport. (Many car rental companies only have airport locations.) A key feature on this website is the ability to compare car rental price, vehicle type, and locations all in one central location.

The Costco rental car discount service provided through Costco Travel is a wonderful option for local Costco members that don't want to go to the airport to rent a vehicle.

Airport Locations

Because of its aggregated database of car companies, Costco Travel lets you find companies with rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. Some rental car companies are limited geographically and do not have locations at every airport. Costco offers reservation opportunities with multiple rental companies in order to provide you with the best pricing options.

Unlimited Mileage

Renting a car can be stressful, especially when working with car rental agencies. On perk that comes with renting a car through Costco Travel is the unlimited mileage that comes with some rentals. This perk is not guaranteed with all rental car companies, but some do provide it. Most often, unlimited mileage is not provided due to geographical restrictions placed on the rental policy by each individual car rental agency. If you are looking to save money and avoid paying extra for driving long distances, it would be worth asking what mileage coverage is provided in your rental.

No Additional Annual Fee

For Costco members that use Costco Travel, there is no additional annual fee. All services provided by Costco Travel are included in your Costco membership. The current two membership options at Costco are:

• Gold Star Membership — This is the standard membership that comes with $60 fee each year. It does not come with any cash back rewards.
  • Gold Star Executive Membership — For those with the desire to upgrade their membership status, this membership comes with a $120 fee each year but comes with additional cash back rewards. Members earn 2 percent cash back up to $1000 each year. Added benefits that accompany this membership include additional discounts on insurance, etc.

The Bad

• Instant Return Varies
  • No Packaged Roadside Assistance
  • No Toll Prepay Option
  • Lacking On-Site Fuel Discount
  • Inconsistent Online Check-In

Instant Return Varies

The rental companies that Costco Travel books with are: Alamo, Avis, Budget, and Enterprise. If you want to find out if you can return the car without waiting in line and leave the keys inside, it will depend on the policies of the company you choose to go with through Costco's website. This is an extra step for you making it less convenient than having the information all in one place.

No Packaged Roadside Assistance

Because Costco Travel works with various other rental companies and has no cars or rental policies of its own, the booking service does nothing more than book a car. For purchasing roadside assistance or other services, customers need to work with the actual rental company of the car they are renting. This will typically make the rental process at pickup slower and more involved, and also leads to unexpected pricing.

Lacking On-Site Fuel Discount

Again, because Costco Travel does not have its own fleet and its own rental company, they do not offer on-site fueling discounts. Each rental company has their own fueling payment options, so you'll have to contact them or visit their website to find out.

No Toll Prepay Option

If you want to order toll passes through Costco's website to make your commute easier, you can't. The four companies Costco partners with have their individual toll prepay options. Like other additional features, you have to do the extra legwork to find out what toll options are from that specific company.

Inconsistent Online Check-In

Unfortunately, online check-in is not available through Costco Travel rental, in order to check-in your car, you will likely need to work directly with the third party from whom you are actually renting. The Costco Travel website will provide you with the information that you need to get in touch with the car rental agency that you will be renting from and you can ask the agency what its online check-in policy is. Chances are, you'll have to go in person to check in your car.

The Bottom Line

Costco Travel is a great place to look if you're a Costco member trying to catch a discount price. The benefits that come with using this service are low prices and streamlined location and price comparison. Those that use Costco's Executive card will also earn cash-back rewards with a 2 percent return. This service however, is not the most economic if you're going to want to purchase add-ons or special services. Add-on pricing is done through the rental company of the car itself. This can make pricing harder to compare and can make the process less streamlined. We recommend doing your research to make sure that you can find the lowest deal. Watch out for those "extra" costs.

Dave Spokane, WA

Costco travel doesn't have a huge selection for rental cars but at least you know you will get a good value for your money from a solid rental car company and Costco will stand behind you if there are any problems. Full-refund cancellations are easy.

Jessica Chen Gaithersburg, MD

I have used them a number of times for Hawaii and Cancun vacations and have always been very satisfied. My family and I plan vacation which was booked through Costco Travel. Everything went smoothly- the hotel room was AMAZING and guides were in the Cancun airport helping get us settled. It provided a great price for the activities in the package. I highly recommend booking vacations through Costco Travel.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Costco was cheaper than using other sites. I found a luxury sedan for $100 cheaper by using them. It gave me the option for several companies and their availability for the week I needed.

Tracy McMillan Orem, UT

I love using Costco Travel for trips. They have some amazing deals and you get the Costco reward points when you are a member and book with them. They made renting a car so easy and the process what straightforward. I love renting a car through Costco travel. Makes traveling less stressful.

Karli American Fork, UT

Costco travel was great when we recently needed a rental car for a trip. It was easy to book, lots of cars available, and great rates. We had no issue picking up or dropping off the car after using it and will definitely be using them again.

Gail P. Auburn Hills, MI

Have booked a rental car through Costco Travel on several occasions and pricing is great. Will continue renting through them, but will have to make sure the rental isn’t through Budget. The location at the Savannah Airport would not honor adding a second driver even after I called up the Costco website which specifically said the second driver does not have to be a Costco member. The agent insisted they had to be a member also. Finally gave up the fight and became the solo driver for the week. Costco shouldn’t use Budget if they don’t honor the agreement. What a disappointment.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

We rented a Suburban through Costco to drive to California with our kids. Our reservation was smooth. We received a great price for the rental with no penalties for the mileage we put on the vehicle for a long road trip. Costco took great care of us and we would use them for car rentals in the future.

Sattar Walnut, CA

i have made reservation through Costco auto rental program several times over the last few years - Budget, Alamo, National... everyone of them have extended and honored 'Costco discount' would highly recommend reserving your next car through Costco.

Costco Car Rental Lake Zurich, IL

Costco travel found a good deal on a rental car. However they are the middle man for the various rental car vendors. They happened to book us with Budget. It was not a good experience especially after 2 hours at the airport and 4 hours in flight. They gave us a scratched up car which we declined. Had to go back to desk to request a new one. Upon leaving the exit station where they check your car for existing damages, the Budget person was having a bad day and let us know she was. Rude and unfriendly. Won’t do Budget again and be careful with Costco booking through Budget. My son in law went through Costco and got Enterprise where they got a double upgrade and great service.

TripJack Naperville, IL

Have rented cars on 5 occasions through CostCo. Very satisfied with each rental experience. Most recently, had 3 rental reservations while touring the Hawaiian Islands. Easily made reservations, favorable rental price, and extra driver is no charge. Will certainly use CostCo in future.

Libadia Kent, WA

I am voicing a complaint about Avis Car Rental (Maui). I made the reservation through Costco Travel months in advance. I had reserved a 7 passenger van. When we arrived at Avis, we waited in line 20 minutes to speak to an agent. Then the agent tells me they did not have a van available. We had to wait about 25 minutes (in the 90+ degree weather) for Avis to hunt down a van from another rental place, then clean the vehicle and gas it. The van looked like someone had scraped a guard rail all along the driver side. When we returned the van at the end of the week, there was one person trying to check-in about 10 cars. This took 20+ minutes. I would seriously think twice about renting a vehicle from Avis again.

April H Lehi, UT

We used Costco Travel to book our anniversary trip to Cabo San Lucas in Mexico. The experience was great. It was easy and the well put together. Toward the end of our stay we had to reach out to their Customer Service because there was a hurricane coming right toward us and they helped us reschedule and rework the details of our trip. I would definitely use them again.

Dustin Marx Brighton, CO

We like to use Costco Travel for renting cars because the prices are competitive with the vendors' direct prices, but the "additional driver fee" is waived when cars are rented via Costco Travel. We use our Costco Visa for 3% back on travel related expenses (and because it includes car rental insurance) and because we are Executive Costco members, we get another 2% back for that.

Jo Lars Pleasant Grove, UT

Costco Travel always has great rental prices and I get to add a second driver for free! Sometimes I even get cash back in the form of a Costco gift card! Their search feature is easy to use but you do have to be sure that you are searching within the timeframe that the rental company is open. If you search for something when the company is closed, it won't even show you that option.

wanda Saint George, UT

best deal when booking a car rental. user friendly. you get to choose which car rental place you want to rent from. you even get to choose a few car rental places to compare prices. i like that they include how many passenger's will fit in each vehicle and how much space is available. they ask if you need a child seat. customer service over the phone, at pickup and drop off are always so happy, smiling and personable.

Jodie Larson Pleasant Grove, UT

I not only get great rates through Costco Travel, but I also get a free additional driver, which is very convenient when my husband and I go on a road trip! Their site is easy to use. I love that I can compare pricing from 4 local rental locations at a time. While the reservation is made right away, payment is not due until the car is picked up and, in the event that there is a change in plans, cancelling a reservation is quick and easy!

Ken R Greenfield, IN

The reservation set up was easy. Then - Arrived at the Budget counter in Orlando - wait time in line was 1 hour 45 minutes. Listen to the sales person about the insurance package because you will decide that you would not pull this vesicle out of the garage without their coverage. Your personal insurance will not cover loss of use! This will almost double your daily rental cost. The car I received was new and clean. Everything OK till return. There was no one available to check car in and we had a flight to catch. So we were instructed to leave keys and they would email receipt. It took them 14+ hours to check in the car per the time on receipt which i was billed extra for. I'm sure Costco has no idea what is going on with a 3rd party they recommend.

Hayley Lambdin Orem, UT

Costco Travel was excellent for getting a rental car. On our last trip, we were able to get a killer discount in comparison to all of the other rental car sites. Costco just solves all the problems.

AF ,

I always shop around when I get a rental car and usually end up using Costco Travel for the best deals. It's worth it to me when they have the bonus upgrade (sometimes the bigger car is worth it for luggage and kids).

Steve Jones Riverton, UT

I recently discovered you could book rental cars through Costco Travel. I love that you can compare pricing and cars for various rental brands in one place. Super easy process and I'm sad I didn't discover it sooner. Highly recommend you try it out!

Nicole Jones Sandy, UT

If you're looking for posh travel accommodations at a competitive price, do yourself a favor and check out Costco Travel. From rental cars and cruises to full vacation packages, Costco just does it better. I always comparison shop and 9 times out of 10, I proceed with Costco.

Nichole Hiatt Eagle Mountain, UT

I LOVE booking my rentals through Costco Travel. Their prices are always much cheaper than any other discount I can find, and their customer service has been great. I had to change a drop off time and Costco took care of everything for me.

Adrianne murray Brigham City, UT

Only way to rent a car is through them. If you get the hotel at the same time you get a better deal. So easy and when I compared prices they were the best around. Great customer service and it’s Costco so you know it’s a safe company to do with

AK Riverton, UT

Shopping around for a rental car is tough! I always search tons of company's to try and find the best deal. For the most part, I'm not too particular about what car I get, I just want a good deal. I've found pretty good deals on Costco Travel. I like when they have a free upgrade or extra day free.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I used Costco Travel for my rent a car needs for the first time last spring when we traveled to Denver, Co. I didn't even know Costco provided this service. It was so easy to do and with the Costco benefit I received a great deal on the perfect rent a car. Check it out for your next trip!

Miles Strother American Fork, UT

Costco Travel is amazing for finding good deals on travel packages, cruises, car rentals and anything else associated with traveling. We've used them several times, both domestically and abroad, and they've always been great.

Janessa Herriman, UT

I've only used Costco travel to rent cars, but it is amazing. They always have the cheapest rates for cars and the best customer service. I love that the rental car comes with an extra driver and that you don't have to pay for the car until you actually use it, so if plans change you can cancel with no fees.

Julie Kincaid Soldotna, AK

Every time I go to look for a rental car, I look here first. Nine times out of ten, Costco will have the best deal on rental cars, and they have the added bonus of allowing free cancellation of reservations. I would totally recommend them to other travelers, and I have done so many, many times.

Jennifer Ogden, UT

I didn't even know that Costco offered rental vehicles through other agencies. We heard about Costco Travel through a friend and when I went online to book we found the same vehicle for almost half the price!! We have since went on to use them multiple times and will always check with Costco Travel before booking with anyone else!

PolyanaL Salt Lake City, UT

I use costco travel for my rental cars all the time. I love how the amount that is quoted for you online is what you will pay when picking up your rental car. Most other rental places there's always hidden fees accosiated with reservations.

Tualagi Saint George, UT

awesome deals on vacation packages, car rentals and hotels. customer service is excellent. easy to cancel a reservation by calling customer service. when i booked our car rental here i just showed up to the car rental place and they already had my reservation, i was in and out within minutes.

J Paul Wright Central, UT

I used Costco Travel recently for a trip we took this year. The booking was easy (car rental) and the discounted price for using them along with a reputable car rental company was great. I will definitely be using this service again.

Aiga Orem, UT

i love Costco for many reasons and this option for travel and discount is my favorite. I book through costco travel for Enterprise. Easy process to book, choose the vehicle i want, i get a confirmation immediately in my email. Enterprise has always had the best deals through costco travel and vehicles in stock. thank you costco travel.

NT Pleasant Grove, UT

has really good deals and discounts for travel. i have found and booked cheap car rentals on costco travel. i like that they send your itinerary to your email immediately after booking. easy to cancel when i needed too. customer service was great!

BR Maple Grove, MN

I am giving this review one star for the BUDGET rental car. I was quoted a price of $163.28 for a five day rental in Florida. I pick up my car at the airport and am charged $253.84. I asked why and was told this is a $100 deposit and it will be credited upon my return of the car. Once I return the car, I am still charged a total of $228.21. When asked why they said I am being charged for the Liability Insurance which I never agreed to have. I called customer service twice and their resolution is a 30% discount on the insurance I never agreed to because I had already returned the car. Beware of the bait and switch with BUDGET. I have used Costco rental cars multiple times before and have never paid more than my quoted price!

ousawvh2 Leesburg, VA

When I'm looking for a rental car for personal travel use Costco Travel is the first site I check. Normally they have the best rates I can find plus you get a 2nd driver for free. The 2nd driver free is a big cost savings.

Rosemary Jones Bonita Springs, FL

Never again with Costco or Enterprise. I rented a car through Costco from Enterprise in Philadelphia and returned it at the Baltimore airport. The car was a horrible Chrylser with over 50,000 miles on it. The agent apologized for the dirty upholstery! When we returned the car, the man looked over the car and off we went. Weeks after the car was returned, I received a notice that the car had damage. We did not incur any damage to the undercarriage of this car. This was either done before we picked up the car and didn't notice or in the return lot. We were told that Enterprise was under no obligation to inform us of the damage upon its return. Terrible service and subpar rental. Don't think you're getting a bargain with Costco, They save the old cars and bad rooms for you.

mccandless24 Kaysville, UT

Costco travel has been so helpful when we have needed to rent a car. We have always had a good experience in booking the vehicle. I have had a hard time when it has come to booking the hotel just because it seems there is very limited options and most seem sold out when trying to book something even when it was 2 months away.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

I used Costco travel to rent a vehicle and I got an awesome deal. It was easy to book it online and the site was super user friendly. It was very easy to set up and it saved me a lot of money. I will use Costco travel again.

Justin McMurtrey South Jordan, UT

Costco is awesome. They give such good deals for their members. They packages they offer are to great locations. It definitely takes the headache of planning everything out yourself.

Jacob American Fork, UT

Costco Travel rental cars are the best deal around, especially if you are under 25. Costco Travel rental cars are easy to book, in high quality condition, and are totally upfront with costs.

Zac Marx Brighton, CO

Costco Travel has the best and cheapest selection of car rentals. We have used it for every vacation we plan. It takes the pain out of the process so we can just enjoy our vacation.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

We have used Costco Travel for our car rental only a few times. It was bundled into our vacation package and so we got a great discount. All the Costco travel agents that book our car are so friendly and helpful.

tini mapu Orem, UT

Costco always has such great prices. I don't think a lot of people realize that they have deals on travel needs. They are cheap and available to all Costco members. They also have very nice cars and options.

Mali Orem, UT

i have found really great deals for rental cars here. it's so easy to book and to cancel a reservation. they don't charge you for anything extra. they even send you a cancellation confirmation to your email so it is on file.

Jr Orem, UT

price is cheaper than booking from the actual rental car company. easy booking, confirmation is email immediately after booking, don't pay anything until pickup, cancellation is easy and great customer service.

Cindy H Gilbert, AZ

I used this when renting a car and it was definitely cheaper than i could have got without the costco link.

David Aberdeen, WA

Rented a car through Costco travel. Avis was company at the Austin, TX airport. They gave me an upgrade and did not say anything about increasing my rental fee. Rental agreement was for about 380$ with all taxes and fees as printed at desk. Charged my card over 600$. When I called to complain they were very rude. Did not give me a full refund. Avis and Costco never again! Never been ripped off by a car rental like dishonest Avis!

Joe Westwood, NJ

Rented a car at budget through Costco I was supposed to get a full size the man at the counter said all they had available was a compact or for additional cost an suv wound up with a compact with 45000 miles on it

Mark Park City, UT

We used Costo Travel to reserve our rental car on a recent vacation. It was a good experience, and I'm sure we saved some money that way.