Budget Logo

6.1

Sandra Tucson, AZ

I started out with a very bad feeling and experience with Budget. I picked my car up Friday night in a dimly lit car garage. I noticed the next day that the emblem was missing in the front. I immediately called customer service and got a guy who didn't give his name and said he worked for Avis. I told him my situation and he said it was a good thing I called because they're expensive. He said they give 24 hrs to report any issues. Then told me he needed to transfer me to someone else. Tony then came on the line and told me not to worry and that I needed to speak to roadside assistance. Didn't give me a chance to ask why since it's not an accident. Roadside came on and asked about my issue. I told her it was the emblem that was missing and I didn't lose it. She said not to worry and she'd document and send me a text. I never got a text. So I went all the way to the airport to talk to the counter. I first talked to fastbreak and Fran was going to help me until I told her they put me through to Roadside (she said not sure why they put you through to them) and since they did and it was reported that she couldn't do anything and that the car is now flagged when I bring it back. This scared me even more. so I talked to a guy who was there the night I rented the car. I had heard him say to another client the night before that they're not worried about dents or scratches, just windows broken. He told me he'd get the manager to talk to me (Robert). A guy came out in a light jacket zipped and looked at me and said "what's up" no introduction or courtesy given here. I told him my situation and that I called right away and was transferred around and then to roadside, which he wasn't sure why it went to roadside and there was nothing he could do. Told me I was responsible since I drove it off the lot that way. I explained what I was told about the 24 hrs and he said that was wrong. I mentioned they could listen to the call and see that is what I was told. He just kept throwing at me that I didn't pay for any insurance. Didn't think I needed to since I rely on good quality vehicles. I had just rented from Alamo and had nothing but good experience. I am having an engine replaced in my vehicle I told the manager and couldn't afford anything extra. Already paying for rental cars in the meantime. He was no help or even courteous. I mentioned they could listen to the calls (as I work in customer service and have for over 30 years). Call centers even. He said that to find a Tony is like finding a needle in a haystack. I said they should be able to by my phone # or time of calls. He told me I could call them back if I wanted to, but that I'm responsible and would have to pay. I even asked him what the sticker in the door is about impound and a phone #. He wasn't aware of that. I said maybe that's where the emblem went missing. I could just cry! Very horrible experience and I don't like the car that I have now for another week n a half. Scared to even touch it. They never even walked around the car with me, just gave me the key and told me the location to get the car.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

I use Budget from time to time and thy always have a good rate, are easy to get in and out of and their cars are clean and in good repair and if they don't have the car you need, they will upgrade you.

Pamela J Olberg Minnetonka, MN

We reserved a 12 passenger Ford transit van three and 1/2 monthes prior to our trip at McCarron airport Las Vegas. When we arrived we were told that they don't have twelve passenger vans and the only available van was a 15 passenger Chev Express van. This is hardly an equilalent. When we conplained on return that two of the seat belts only worked part time we were told that movement caused then naturally to lock up and the only option for unlocking them was to stop and restart the engine. This situation was totally unsafe as we sometimes had to drive without seat belts.

Hayley Lambdin Orem, UT

Their prices are great but I do not like their customer service at our closest location in Orem, Utah. They are very slow with long wait times and always seemed frazzled when you are picking up or dropping off. At the airports though, my husband and I have not had a problem.

Stephen Sheldon Seattle, WA

STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS!!! I rented a car for about 5 days from Budget in October of 2015, picking it up from Maine and dropping it off in Vermont. Everything went fine with the rental, the car seemed pretty beat up when we got it but took pictures of it and went on our way, used it, and dropped it off. Now a year and a half later I get a letter in the mail from a law firm trying to collect $1600 from me that they say I owe to Budget for damage to the car. Being that no damage occurred to the car while I had it, I thought it was a scam but calling Budget it sounds like they really are trying to blame me for something with that car, a year and a half later. I tried to call the law firm and they were weirdly hostile, almost yelling. I contacted Budget's customer service department and they simply say "you're responsible" ...but nobody will say for what! Nobody will show me any pictures of anything, nobody is interested in looking at the pictures I took of the car when I got it, nothing! Upon Googling what to do about it, there are huge forums about Budget-Avis doing this to many customers, trying to scam them out of money (check out forum.elliott.org/forums/avis-budget.58). I had no idea this was a thing! Even if other companies cost a little more, it's worth it to avoid these headaches. I've opened cases with the BBB and FTC, we'll see how those go... I really don't want to have to hire a lawyer for this.

Scott Matthews

We rented a car in Grand Cayman for 10 days. To begin our rental car odyssey we spent a full hour at the counter because a.) the computer network they were on was either down or not functioning properly, and b.) the young man that was helping us didn't seem to have a good grasp of how to do his job. While we were there a number of people came in and left because they could not get service. Our base rental cost was $9.00 a day. Not bad we thought. Then add a driver, insurance, and a non-working GPS and the bill for our stay was up to over $600.00! Ok, give us our car and we'll be on our way. Get out to the car with our luggage and of course it's a right hand steer. I had specified that we wanted the steering wheel on the left. Go back into the office and let them know it wasn't what I asked for. I get another car, a Kio Rio that looks like it got into a fight with a very big cat. (all scratched up). After recording all of the dings and scratches we're on our way. Two days into our use of the car the GPS we rented would not work. Turns out the power outlets in the car had no power! I called Budget as soon as we discovered the problem. They wanted me to drive back to the office (1 hour each way on MY gas dime) so they could check it out. After no little discussion I got them to agree to check it out when I turned it in and then take it off my bill if they found it to be inoperable. When we checked in the girl said since we didn't bring it back mid-week that she would have to charge us for the whole time. {:( After another lengthy discussion I got them to agree to take it off the bill. Last thing: the gas needle was just a sliver off of full. She said they would have to charge us for refueling at 1/8th of a tank empty which was 2 gallons. Do you know what they charge for 2 gallons of gas if they have to put it in? $16.50/gallon!! (that's $32.00 for the math challenged like myself) I jumped in the car drove to the corner and put in 3/4 of a gallon (all it would take) for a whopping $3.00. All I can say is the obvious: I will never rent from Budget again. And I would not recommend that any of you do either.

Chuck Winchester, VA

Reserved a car in September to be picked up at Mccarren Airport in October, to be returned one week later. Standing in line was interesting, as we had numerous discussions with fellow passengers as to whether there was an incentive program in effect gauging the number of options they can add to each rental. Upon arrival the clerk wasn't interested in our confirmation number, just the drivers license and credit card. He began asking questions already answered and declined at the time of reservation. He then disappeared behind the counter for 22 minutes and returned to say they did not have a car in the class we reserved, even though we had a confirmation. The clerk said "you are in Las Vegas and guaranteed anything". He was willing to "downgrade" us to a lower class and "give" us 10% off. When we again questioned why we did not have a car, he said we could go around the corner and wait until a car in our class was returned (at 7PM). The clerk was disrespectful, condescending, crude, rude, arrogant and in no way professional. We were in town for a wedding, needed a car as we were transporting guests to and from venues, so,we didn't have a choice. We ended up with a car that had numerous scrapes and scratches,as well as a severely bent left front wheel cover. Knowing Budget's penchant for trying to pass off all damages to the customer, we inspected the car. This was made somewhat difficult as it was light when we arrived, but dark when finally given the car. This was a miserable, miserable experience. Their practices border on the unethical and dishonest. Budget is at the top of our list of companies "Not To Do Business With".

Tom Brucia Houston, TX

I reserved for pickup at Dulles (Washington) and changed it just before flying out of Houston IAH to Reagan. I phoned and was told by customer service that the added cost of this change would only be about $19 so I agreed. My actual billing,however, jumped from $223.78 (six days) to $462.79. After phoning to correct this the woman on the phone told me she was powerless to do anything and would/could not connect me to a supervisor or to management. ---- ALSO, upon returning the car to the rental location at Reagan, the woman handling it was not only the rudest and unhelpful person I have ever met at a car rental, but indeed the rudest and unhelpful clerk I can remember ever having had the misfortune of interacting with. I am only giving a one instead of a zero because the car itself was great. The humans -- not. (No, I will never ever rent from Budget again).

Kathy

Every year we fly down to Florida and rent a car. This year we got a great rate through Budget and assumed that a large well known company would have good service. We were wrong. This is the worst experience we have ever had in renting a car. They try and upset you on everything. We had purchased insurance through our own carrier - they tried to tell you you needed to purchase theirs. They charged our credit card an extra $30.00 for converting the funds from US to CAD. Our credit card would have done the conversion free of charge. After returning the car, we have received 2 subsequent bills for tolls and a surpass. When we called, they immediately reversed the charges knowing that what they did was wrong. I will never use Budget again. It may look cheaper online but at the end of the day it will end up costing you more.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

I have used Budget car rental service while traveling. I always shop around and book through mass car rental sites, I have used them when they have had the best deal. I have found their cars to be of good quality and they usually have a large variety of cars.

Ginny Tremayne Logan, UT

When we travel and need a rental car, we try to reserve one with Budget. We were able to rent one that accommodated us, two grandchildren and their parents. All of us were very comfortable.

Maverick Denhalter Salt Lake City, UT

I didn’t like budget at first when compared to enterprise, but it is so much more affordable and I feel like I can trust them. And though I’ve had one iffy experience, I’ve never been tricked into or forced to pay their extra fees.

keiontai henry Tallahassee, FL

My father always uses budget when he needs a rental car to travel long distances such as picking me up from college. The prices are always affordable and the car is always spacious enough to fit my items from school.

Leeta Orem, UT

We were very pleased with our latest rental through Budget. Their service was quick and easy. The car was excellent. Over all we were very pleased with our experience and would use them again.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

Recently we went on vacation and needed to rent a car. Budget car rental had a big enough car for our large family and it was a great price. We will always check with Budget for our rental car needs.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Budget has the best cars for cheap. They have convenient reservations and easy check out. The contracts are easy to read and I feel that we get great cars to drive. Overall, I value Budget over all others simply on price!

Cam McClellan Magna, UT

My experience with the budget was OK although they sold out of the cars they had promised me and so they offered me an upgrade to a car that got significantly worse gas mileage. After I asked him if they had anything else they told me I could also get a 15 passenger van which was even worse for driving and gas mileage. The car I got was fine but I did spend significantly more in gas than I was wanting to.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I have used Budget several times. I have found them to be just as good as all the other rental car carriers I have used. The vehicles are clean, modern and easy to pick up and drop off. I've never had a negative issue with them.

Dallen Howes Provo, UT

I rented a car in San Francisco. Pickup and dropoff of the vehicle was much easier than I expected. The car was also very nice. As far as rental cars go, the price is pretty good; however, I would always prefer if it were lower!

Nathan D. Warrendale, PA

When my car broke down and was in the shop I needed to find a cheap rental to get to and from work on a Sunday. None of the big rental names were open however I was able to get a small car from Budget at the airport and I thank them for that.

Tevita Salt Lake City, UT

I have used Budget a few times, and they are usually the ones who price out the best. Never had any problems with picking up or returning my car. Great customer service as well.

J Paul Wright Central, UT

I have used Budget a few times in the past. I have generally been disappointed, especially with their car selection. The price was always good, hence the reason for choosing them, but when I arrived to pick up the cars (multiple occasions) they "upgraded" me to vehicles that got significantly worse fuel economy, making our trip more expensive in the long run. Sometimes you want to car class that you chose.

Carolynn West Jordan, UT

I usually check budget first now when looking for rental cars as they are usually cheaper then other companies. We have used them a few times and have had great experiences each time.

Kori Travis FL

Budget has amazing customer service and always gives me a rental that accommodates me

Christopher Milke Olney, MD

Good website and pricing for rental cars. Very competitive from a rate perspective. Cars have sometimes been limited if you arrive late at a site.

Lisa Meese New Philadelphia, OH

We were charged $414.53 for a 1 day rental because we had to pick our dogs up from boarding on our way home from the airport. We didn't have time to sweep it out before returning the car because we had to work the next day. I was quoted $77.68 to rent the car for 1 day. I could understand a $50 charge for cleaning but $336.91 to sweep a car out is beyond outrageous. I will never rent from Bodget again!

Don Williams

Budget car rental Honolulu Hawaii Airport reserved a car for our 10:30 pm flight, airline gave us an earlier flight but we did not change car reservation. We show up 5 hour early and the agent says she/he has no mid size cars and try upgrade us with upgraded prices, I smell rats and I hate being ripped. I rebooked the car reservation at a lower price and got my mid size car. What idols!

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

My husband and I rented a car through Budget when we went to Disneyland. Not a super great experience, but it wasn’t terrible either. There were a bunch of little charges that we could have avoided had we planned better.

Breanna Jones Salt Lake City, UT

I always appreciate when I get upgraded and get a better rental than the one I booked. That happens with Budget. I think prices are fair and employees have been pleasant to work with.

Alyssa Hansel Tallahassee, FL

The budget is a super great and connivent service. I used this service when my car broke down, and they delivered the car to me and were super friendly!

Dayna Salt Lake City, UT

We have had several good experiences with Budget Car rental. Our car is always decent and clean but nothing extra special. It’s usually a pretty good deal for the cars we get.

Dette Phoenix, AZ

The car I rented was only able to be taken to 4 specific states, not including where I was going. This was not disclosed online when reserving. The personnel at the counter did find a work around. But that took almost 3 hours and driving across town and trading cars. They also tried to increase the price to almost double what was quoted online. I insisted on being given the online quote. They said they couldn't change it and I just kept showing them my print out and insisting. It did work out ok in the end but I will not use Budget again.

Christyan Bennett New Orleans, LA

Budget Rental Cars and Trucks have made my move so much more simple. Their prices were amazing and their customer service was so awesome. I would recommend them to anyone!

Eric Smith Riverton, UT

Our last experience with Budget the lady helping us noticed I had all my kids with us and upgraded us to a minivan to give us even more room without any additional cost.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

I can always count on Budget to have the best value for car rental when I travel. I like that they are in many international locations as well. Makes it easy to rent with a company I trust.

Amber C Frey San Diego, CA

I rented from these guys once and it was a pretty painless experience. The car was in great condition and it wasn't too expensive to rent it. I would likely use them again if I needed to rent a car.

wanda Saint George, UT

i had to stop renting from Budget because they never have the vehicle i reserve. they try to get me into a small vehicle which didn't have enough space for the number of passengers we had. another occassion they tried to upgrade us to a dodge ram truck but we have to pay the difference. i explained that if i wanted a dodge ram truck i would have reserved it. i specifically wanted the mini van because i was traveling with my daughter and 3 of her soccer teammates and needed the extra space plus i didn't want to pay a lot in gas with the truck. they were so rude. they did not take responsibility yet puts the blame back on the customer. very disappointed.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

Budget has good cars to rent at an affordable price. However, their rewards benefits and points aren't very good compared to other competitors. As much as I travel, this is a huge deal for me. I'm all about rewards points and programs and for me to consistently rent from Budget, they need to improve this!

Sara Jane Crestwood, KY

The quality of the vehicles are good. I have rented many trucks from the, I appreciate their customer service. Everyone is very nice and do well to make sure you have what you need.

Misled

I recently had a rental with an upgrade, I was swindlled into a 2nd upgrade which led to a fee when the vehicle was returned. They can be more honest with their rentals. When trying to speak with the manager, it was also an elusive event. They pretty much ignored my complaint.

Matt Hanzel Saratoga Springs, UT

Always the best value for the best price. Their customer service is good and I really enjoyed the Fastbreak service.

Bill San Jose, CA

Lots of hidden fees. Bad customer service. Always fill up the tank before returning the vehicle, or get charged about $10 a gallon for them to fill it up plus other hidden fees on top of that which is ridiculous. Well, I guess this is how they make money out of their customers. First time rented from Buget, and it will be the last!

Charlotte Ash Sandy, UT

They provide good cars and service. They have up grade our cars if they didn't have the car we have wanted. Their price have been good.

Amy

Prepaid online only to get there for a week rental on Sunday afternoon and they said we couldn’t rent. Refund in 7-10 business days because they have to go through corporate to refund cancellation fee of $150. I didn’t cancel.

Amanda Fairbanks Payson, UT

Always clean quick and easy process to rent with Budget! Have used several times on vacation and always very happy

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

We use budget a lot for storage and for truck rentals. They always have good deals and clean facilities.

Tagg Ogden, UT

I have used Budget a few times. Most of the time they are really good, but sometimes they don't have the inventory I requested and they "upgraded" me to a car that gets horrible gas mileage.

KnarasN Draper, UT

We use the budget ten minutes from our house and have never been disappointed. Their customer service has always been great and friendly.

Dre35 West Valley City, UT

Exactly what the company is called. It's a great deal! And I feel like there's always a promo code that can get you an additional 10-20% off. Love it!

mccandless24 Kaysville, UT

We were on our way to pick up our rental and received a call stating they did not have a vehicle for us and that it would be an hour more. After an hour and a half passed we called and were told they still had nothin this time saying they didn’t know when they would get one.... after 5 HOURS of waiting we finally were told something similar to what we booked was there. I was grateful we planned ahead and booked a day before we had to go so that the late time did not mess up our vacation BUT budget did Nothing to compensate the ordeal we had to go through. Would not recommend.