Budget Logo

7.3

Budget Rent-a-Car was established in 1958 with a fleet of only ten cars in California. Budget is available in all 50 states and offer some great features such as online check-in, e-toll, and roadside assistance. Budget has a wide variety of cars to choose from. They offer a selection of both economy and luxury cars. Budget also has a low payment feature available to those who pay ahead of time.

Hertz Logo
#2 Hertz chevron_right
4.0
Sixt Rent A Car Logo
#3 Sixt Rent A Car chevron_right
1.3
star star_half star_border star_border star_border

The Good

• Available in All 50 States
  • Competitive Prices
  • Airport Locations
  • Online Check-In

Available in All 50 States

Budget is easily available is all 50 states. This gives Budget an advantage over its competition, who typically have locations in 23 states or less. It also offers an advantage to the customer, who can find a Budget location much easier, especially when traveling.

Competitive Prices

Rental prices for both economy and luxury cars are low in the car rental industry. This makes it affordable for more customers when traveling or those who just need a car temporarily.

Airport Locations

The company has rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. Anywhere your plane lands, there is a Budget counter available. This is very convenient for travelers looking to rent a car right from the airport. They also have locations outside of the airports so locals can rent cars without having to go through the airport office.

Online Check-In

Budget does not offer online check-in, but they do offer something called FastBreak that makes checking in faster than standing in line. FastBreak does this by keeping your information-including your signature, digitized when you make your online reservation, making it easy for you to cut right through the counter line during the pickup process.

The Bad

• No Instant Return
  • Roadside Assistance
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

No Instant Return

With Budget, all cars have to be returned in person. You cannot return the car without waiting in line and leaving the keys in the car. This is standard for car rental companies but with Budget's size and length of time in business, instant return is an option they could offer if they wanted to.

Roadside Assistance

Budget offers a roadside assistance service that covers the following:

• Key Replacement
  • Lockout Service
  • Jump-Start
  • Flat Tire Assistance or Tire Replacement
  • Fuel Delivery

The problem is that there is no flat daily rate available for this service. Budget says the daily service charge is subject to change. Most rental car companies offer a flat additional price for this, such as $5 per day. With Budget, you won't know the price until the last minute which is unpredictable-and maybe unaffordable.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

Budget does not offer an on-site fuel discount, but their four easy fuel service options include options that minimize the amount you pay if they use the pump on-site. With Budget, you will never pay more than $13.99 for the fuel service charge if you return the car less than fuel if you select their EZ Fuel service. Budget is an environmentally conscious rental agency. About half of its fleet has a fuel efficiency rating of 28 miles per gallon or better on highway. This means that renters are not only doing a little good for the environment, but are also saving themselves a little cash in gas expenses.

The Bottom Line

Budget is one of the most popular rental companies in the industry with locations in all 50 states and major airports. If convenience is a factor, this is a viable option for you, (if you're an AARP or Fastbreak rewards member, they offer many benefits and savings, too). As far as the cheapest option, Budget is lower priced than other car rental companies in the industry. Their additional features are also slightly higher than you might find with other rentals. If you do choose to rent with Budget, proceed with caution, you may find yourself paying for additional features, even if you didn't want them. Make sure to ask clear questions and state your preferences.

3.5

DJ Tucson, AZ

I wouldn't even give it a star. I rented one to pick up in Seattle through Carrental8.com. I paid for a mid size car. When I went to pick it up they would only give me an economy car and made me pay $11/day more for it. When I called and complained to Budget, they said I was absolutely right and that they would refund me $242.00 and I would receive it in 3-5 business day. It's been over a month and still no refund. I call them back and now they want me to PROVE that the over charged me. So now they gave me a bogus email address to send the proof too. They have the same paperwork that I do. The first employee say it and then the second one can't? And now he gives me a bogus email address. What a SCAM!!! Never again will I use this company. They should be totally ASHAMED!!!

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

Rental cars are never my favorite thing when traveling as they often have a lot of hidden costs, but working with Budget was super easy and less expensive than I had thought. We only rented the car to travel from Moline Iowa to the Chicago airport, but the car we were given was in great condition and the customer service we received was excellent (even at 3 in the morning).

Cathy Fernley, NV

Budget Detroit gave me a car with a damaged tire. Tire was flat after driving 40 miles. Road assistance wasn't available until the next day, then I had to drive 40 miles one way to get a different vehicle, and the final blow, they want me to pay for a new tire. Check tire valve stems, wheels, and rims, in addition to body and window damage.

Lisa C Johnson Baltimore, MD

I rented a Budget car at the airport. Once I found their location, it was a fairly easy process. There were many cars to choose from and the person at the counter was knowledgeable. Nice office and clean. Well organized. Prices were reasonable at the time.

Alter EgoT Haslet, TX

Please save yourself the heartache. The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. 4 hours sitting at the rental car agent because 3 different people at the company didn't know the card that PREPAID the rental could not be done on that card. Despite at least 3 times asking the specific question. They already HAD their money. They cancelled the rental, required a different card which had to be driven to the location to be physically presented and then they rented the car to someone else and said oops out of cars very sorry. 2 months in advance prepaid. Confirmed information numerous times. And stranded. With no cars available within the next 3 days and them with the money for 3 days. So many ways this could have been prevented and not one person was able to come up with a solution. They may be cheaper but it's not worth it. No one wants to be stranded after doing so much due diligence. Pay the extra. Get a company that can resolve their mistakes. It's worth it.

Landon Badoni Montgomery, TX

Overall Budget is a great option! There have been just a couple instances of less than desirable customer service, but the price point kinda balances out. Usually the adage "you get what you pay for" holds true... But in the case of Budget I usually get much more than I bargained for in a good way.

Joel Ward Modesto, CA

Angela at the Modesto, CA, Sears location for Budget has been providing consistent excellent service for me. I've rented many times from her and continue to do so. I'm picky about customer service and she knows how to provide that very professionally. She even provided me a cell number for off hour contact if needed, which I did once and it was a life saver for me. Thanks Budget and thanks Angela!

Christopher Milke Olney, MD

Good website and pricing for rental cars. Very competitive from a rate perspective. Cars have sometimes been limited if you arrive late at a site.

Ginny Tremayne Logan, UT

When we travel and need a rental car, we try to reserve one with Budget. We were able to rent one that accommodated us, two grandchildren and their parents. All of us were very comfortable.

Maverick Denhalter Salt Lake City, UT

I didn’t like budget at first when compared to enterprise, but it is so much more affordable and I feel like I can trust them. And though I’ve had one iffy experience, I’ve never been tricked into or forced to pay their extra fees.

Irinna Danielson Riverton, UT

I first looked to Budget as the rental company for us after having a family friend who worked there while I was growing up. He always helped us when we needed to rent a 15 passenger van or a bigger truck to hauling things or to help take care of large parties traveling. The trust that developed as I watched my parents use Budget has stayed with me and when we need good service at a great value, I continue to turn to Budget. And, besides the vans and bigger vehicles, they also give good prices on regular sized vehicles. The brand is a good one and it's one my family has trusted for years.

Jeremy Webb Dallas, TX

I have used Budget couple times with my business along with some other truck competitors and I really enjoyed my experience with Budget. The trucks I have received to rent were in great condition and had no issues. My only complaint is that we don’t have many locations around my location that offer the truck rentals which is what I mainly use. Employees are nice and helpful in finding whatever you need.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

We used Budget Car Rental when we traveled to Denver this past February. We had an excellent experience. The shuttle came to pick us up promptly and there was not much of a line when we got there. They did not have the exact car we were promised so they upgraded us for free. I will definitely use Budget again because of our positive experience.

Jodie Larson Pleasant Grove, UT

Budget is one of my go to car rental companies because their prices are competative and their locations are convenient. They last time I rented through them, they upgraded, me at no extra charge, to a large 4WD Jeep that looked really cool but it got terrible gas mileage so when I got to my destination, I found the nearest Budget location and switched it out for something more economical. I love that they were willing to do that for me!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

For economy and value, Budget is a very safe bet. Budget always has the best deals in my area. When needing to economize, Budget is a great option. Service, vehicle selection, contract options-all great with Budget.

Eliza Arvada, CO

We used Budget Car Rental in Charlestown, SC, booking in advance through Costco Travel, and had a very difficult experience with Budget. There was a long line before we got to the desk, and then were told to wait outside, about a block's walk from the airport, where our car was to be delivered shortly. After 25 cold, windy minutes it finally came, with pre-existing damage, so we had to wait again for another 20 minutes, now in the dark, for a replacement. Another line when we returned the car, with only one employee. We will never use Budget Car Rental again.

Nishita McLean, VA

I've rented a Budget car twice now, once in Orlando while driving to Miami and once to drive in and around Washington DC. I got very good prices both the time, the cars were clean, was in and out real quick. Was satisfied with the service and the pricing.

Doyal Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

I've used budget a great deal and for long periods of time for work. I always received great customer service, got the car I wanted, and was in and out quickly. Returning the car was always a breeze as well. I would definitely recommend using Budget for car rentals.

keiontai henry Tallahassee, FL

My father always uses budget when he needs a rental car to travel long distances such as picking me up from college. The prices are always affordable and the car is always spacious enough to fit my items from school.

Leeta Orem, UT

We were very pleased with our latest rental through Budget. Their service was quick and easy. The car was excellent. Over all we were very pleased with our experience and would use them again.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

Recently we went on vacation and needed to rent a car. Budget car rental had a big enough car for our large family and it was a great price. We will always check with Budget for our rental car needs.

Anya Lee Jacksonville, FL

Budget has been my go-to rental car company; They offer great deals.

Steve Jones Riverton, UT

My experience with my local Budget was awesome. We used them while our car was in the shop. They were kind, courteous, and helpful - a great representation of the company's values. Will use them again the next time we're in need of a rental!

Nicole Jones Sandy, UT

Budget Rental in Las Vegas has the best service! I travel to Las Vegas quite often for work and find the location to be conveniently located, the staff helpful, and the process simple. Great level of service for a minimal price tag!

Kimi Bayles West Valley City, UT

I loved using Budget on my business trip. I got a great car without breaking the bank. There was an employee who walked me out to my car, showed me everything I needed to know and got me going. Thanks for the great service at a great price!

James Conder Eagle Mountain, UT

I have used Budget for rentals car a lot for my work travels. Always had a clean car, full tank of gas, and no damage waiting for me when I arrived. Customer service was always amazing when using Budget, no matter which city or state I was in.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

I have used budget several times and I haven’t had any complaints yet. The cars are always clean and I’ve got the car I requested or in some cases they have upgraded me to a nicer vehicle. The customer service has always been great and haven’t had any headaches or long lines to have to wait in. They were quick and professional.

Robert Wilson Rockville, MD

I use budget when I travel in the US. They are almost always the cheapest rental car available. Their cars are a good variety of current cars. They get you in and out very quickly especially at Denver International Airport - their service is awesome. I would recommend using them in the US - I have not had the chance to use them internationally. Great value for the money.

Annie Robbins Pleasant Grove, UT

We recently rented from Budget on our vacation to Florida. There was not a mini van as we had requested when we got there late at night. The agent went out of their way to have another car cleaned quickly for us to have and helped make sure we stayed within our budget for the bigger car. Great service!

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

When I rent a car I am always looking for the cheapest price that meets the rest of my criteria. Budget usually gives me the best price and they are quick and easy to get in and out of and the price they promised is the price the stand behind.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used Budget rent a car many times and they are known for a good car at a good price and all of the other things I have come to take for granted, like easy pick up, clean and well maintained cars, and easy drop off at a convenient location.

Joanna Hester Gilbert, AZ

My husband asked me to rent a car for him for his last work trip. I chose Budget because they had the type of car he wanted at the best price. The staff at the rental agency made his experience pleasant and quick for both picking up his car and returning it.

Bethany Rockville, MD

Budget is flexible and rents cars to young drivers like 18 years old. However, the rental price is extremely high!

Amanda Fairbanks Payson, UT

Always clean quick and easy process to rent with Budget! Have used several times on vacation and always very happy

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

We use budget a lot for storage and for truck rentals. They always have good deals and clean facilities.

Lisa Meese New Philadelphia, OH

We were charged $414.53 for a 1 day rental because we had to pick our dogs up from boarding on our way home from the airport. We didn't have time to sweep it out before returning the car because we had to work the next day. I was quoted $77.68 to rent the car for 1 day. I could understand a $50 charge for cleaning but $336.91 to sweep a car out is beyond outrageous. I will never rent from Bodget again!

Swagmom Lake Worth, FL

I rented a compact car; four doors and seats five, and I was given an economy car; two doors and seats 4. My son pointed out that since his brother decided not to travel with us, we should just leave it, so I did. But getting in and out of that back seat was too challenging for the seniors I was staying with. Also, at the end of my five days, I called to price adding two more days and was quoted $79.34, even though their website showed a new rental at $53 and change. The kid on the phone told me if I wanted that price I needed to go back to the airport and return the car and get a new rental. So I went back to the airport and returned the car and walked next door to Enterprise to pick up my new two day rental.

Jeremy Las Vegas, NV

We reserved a car from Budget through Expedia in Kona, HI for the week after Christmas. We arrived with around three other families to find that they had not a single vehicle to rent. Our only option was to go to a different company and rent a pickup truck, which was more for one day than our entire trip we were quoted with Budget. We then went back to Budget the next day and were lucky enough that someone was returning a vehicle that we could get into. We were promised that we would be reimbursed for the one day rental with the other company as well as be reimbursed for the rental fees with Budget due to the inconvenience. It's now been three months later and they still haven't even reimbursed the one day fee with the other company much less the rental fees with them. I've now had three months of interest on the credit card as well. I have sent them all the documents they have asked for in every kind of format available and they continue to tell me they are unable to open them. I'm at a loss as to what else I could due to get them the information. I would highly recommend avoiding this company due to the fact that it seems like my complaints are a common theme with other customers reviews that I have come across.

DANIEL PERKINS Haines City, FL

I rented a car from Budget and drove from Florida to Ohio and back to Florida. The car was good and I experienced no problems with it. It was returned in good condition and that was verified by the check in agent. Suddenly 2 1/2 months after returning the car a letter stating that the car had some unspecified tire problem and that I was responsible for that. They could not tell me what the alleged tire problem was. I explained that I had no problems for the week I drove the car, the tires performed just fine and, per their own check-in procedure, there was no problem when I brought it back. Their letter to me said that I would only be charged for the actual cost of the needed repair but went on to contradict that by adding a $25 fee which was NOT part of the repair. This is simply another example of big corporate greed trying to make me pay for something that they could not even describe to me and which they found 2 months after I had the car. I had a 12 day future rental booked with Budget which I cancelled and I at least 2 more short term rentals pending and I will use ANY company but Budget in the future.

Olivia Boston, MA

If I could do zero, I give them zero. After return the car, the staff at front desk told me the final cost is less than I paid and I can get refund. But I didn't. Then I call the customer service, the person told me when I prepaid I can't be refund. Meaning I paid than I need to pay when I do prepay. This is the first time I am using Budget and this is definitely the worst experience I've ever had for renting a car. Other rental car companies suggest consumers to prepay for a lower price, Budget does this for robbing our money. How ridiculous it is, am I buying a stock right now? I need to make a guess and gamble on my rental price?

Sandra Tucson, AZ

I started out with a very bad feeling and experience with Budget. I picked my car up Friday night in a dimly lit car garage. I noticed the next day that the emblem was missing in the front. I immediately called customer service and got a guy who didn't give his name and said he worked for Avis. I told him my situation and he said it was a good thing I called because they're expensive. He said they give 24 hrs to report any issues. Then told me he needed to transfer me to someone else. Tony then came on the line and told me not to worry and that I needed to speak to roadside assistance. Didn't give me a chance to ask why since it's not an accident. Roadside came on and asked about my issue. I told her it was the emblem that was missing and I didn't lose it. She said not to worry and she'd document and send me a text. I never got a text. So I went all the way to the airport to talk to the counter. I first talked to fastbreak and Fran was going to help me until I told her they put me through to Roadside (she said not sure why they put you through to them) and since they did and it was reported that she couldn't do anything and that the car is now flagged when I bring it back. This scared me even more. so I talked to a guy who was there the night I rented the car. I had heard him say to another client the night before that they're not worried about dents or scratches, just windows broken. He told me he'd get the manager to talk to me (Robert). A guy came out in a light jacket zipped and looked at me and said "what's up" no introduction or courtesy given here. I told him my situation and that I called right away and was transferred around and then to roadside, which he wasn't sure why it went to roadside and there was nothing he could do. Told me I was responsible since I drove it off the lot that way. I explained what I was told about the 24 hrs and he said that was wrong. I mentioned they could listen to the call and see that is what I was told. He just kept throwing at me that I didn't pay for any insurance. Didn't think I needed to since I rely on good quality vehicles. I had just rented from Alamo and had nothing but good experience. I am having an engine replaced in my vehicle I told the manager and couldn't afford anything extra. Already paying for rental cars in the meantime. He was no help or even courteous. I mentioned they could listen to the calls (as I work in customer service and have for over 30 years). Call centers even. He said that to find a Tony is like finding a needle in a haystack. I said they should be able to by my phone # or time of calls. He told me I could call them back if I wanted to, but that I'm responsible and would have to pay. I even asked him what the sticker in the door is about impound and a phone #. He wasn't aware of that. I said maybe that's where the emblem went missing. I could just cry! Very horrible experience and I don't like the car that I have now for another week n a half. Scared to even touch it. They never even walked around the car with me, just gave me the key and told me the location to get the car.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

I use Budget from time to time and thy always have a good rate, are easy to get in and out of and their cars are clean and in good repair and if they don't have the car you need, they will upgrade you.

Pamela J Olberg Minnetonka, MN

We reserved a 12 passenger Ford transit van three and 1/2 monthes prior to our trip at McCarron airport Las Vegas. When we arrived we were told that they don't have twelve passenger vans and the only available van was a 15 passenger Chev Express van. This is hardly an equilalent. When we conplained on return that two of the seat belts only worked part time we were told that movement caused then naturally to lock up and the only option for unlocking them was to stop and restart the engine. This situation was totally unsafe as we sometimes had to drive without seat belts.

Hayley Lambdin Orem, UT

Their prices are great but I do not like their customer service at our closest location in Orem, Utah. They are very slow with long wait times and always seemed frazzled when you are picking up or dropping off. At the airports though, my husband and I have not had a problem.

Stephen Sheldon Seattle, WA

STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS!!! I rented a car for about 5 days from Budget in October of 2015, picking it up from Maine and dropping it off in Vermont. Everything went fine with the rental, the car seemed pretty beat up when we got it but took pictures of it and went on our way, used it, and dropped it off. Now a year and a half later I get a letter in the mail from a law firm trying to collect $1600 from me that they say I owe to Budget for damage to the car. Being that no damage occurred to the car while I had it, I thought it was a scam but calling Budget it sounds like they really are trying to blame me for something with that car, a year and a half later. I tried to call the law firm and they were weirdly hostile, almost yelling. I contacted Budget's customer service department and they simply say "you're responsible" ...but nobody will say for what! Nobody will show me any pictures of anything, nobody is interested in looking at the pictures I took of the car when I got it, nothing! Upon Googling what to do about it, there are huge forums about Budget-Avis doing this to many customers, trying to scam them out of money (check out forum.elliott.org/forums/avis-budget.58). I had no idea this was a thing! Even if other companies cost a little more, it's worth it to avoid these headaches. I've opened cases with the BBB and FTC, we'll see how those go... I really don't want to have to hire a lawyer for this.

Scott Matthews

We rented a car in Grand Cayman for 10 days. To begin our rental car odyssey we spent a full hour at the counter because a.) the computer network they were on was either down or not functioning properly, and b.) the young man that was helping us didn't seem to have a good grasp of how to do his job. While we were there a number of people came in and left because they could not get service. Our base rental cost was $9.00 a day. Not bad we thought. Then add a driver, insurance, and a non-working GPS and the bill for our stay was up to over $600.00! Ok, give us our car and we'll be on our way. Get out to the car with our luggage and of course it's a right hand steer. I had specified that we wanted the steering wheel on the left. Go back into the office and let them know it wasn't what I asked for. I get another car, a Kio Rio that looks like it got into a fight with a very big cat. (all scratched up). After recording all of the dings and scratches we're on our way. Two days into our use of the car the GPS we rented would not work. Turns out the power outlets in the car had no power! I called Budget as soon as we discovered the problem. They wanted me to drive back to the office (1 hour each way on MY gas dime) so they could check it out. After no little discussion I got them to agree to check it out when I turned it in and then take it off my bill if they found it to be inoperable. When we checked in the girl said since we didn't bring it back mid-week that she would have to charge us for the whole time. {:( After another lengthy discussion I got them to agree to take it off the bill. Last thing: the gas needle was just a sliver off of full. She said they would have to charge us for refueling at 1/8th of a tank empty which was 2 gallons. Do you know what they charge for 2 gallons of gas if they have to put it in? $16.50/gallon!! (that's $32.00 for the math challenged like myself) I jumped in the car drove to the corner and put in 3/4 of a gallon (all it would take) for a whopping $3.00. All I can say is the obvious: I will never rent from Budget again. And I would not recommend that any of you do either.

Chuck Winchester, VA

Reserved a car in September to be picked up at Mccarren Airport in October, to be returned one week later. Standing in line was interesting, as we had numerous discussions with fellow passengers as to whether there was an incentive program in effect gauging the number of options they can add to each rental. Upon arrival the clerk wasn't interested in our confirmation number, just the drivers license and credit card. He began asking questions already answered and declined at the time of reservation. He then disappeared behind the counter for 22 minutes and returned to say they did not have a car in the class we reserved, even though we had a confirmation. The clerk said "you are in Las Vegas and guaranteed anything". He was willing to "downgrade" us to a lower class and "give" us 10% off. When we again questioned why we did not have a car, he said we could go around the corner and wait until a car in our class was returned (at 7PM). The clerk was disrespectful, condescending, crude, rude, arrogant and in no way professional. We were in town for a wedding, needed a car as we were transporting guests to and from venues, so,we didn't have a choice. We ended up with a car that had numerous scrapes and scratches,as well as a severely bent left front wheel cover. Knowing Budget's penchant for trying to pass off all damages to the customer, we inspected the car. This was made somewhat difficult as it was light when we arrived, but dark when finally given the car. This was a miserable, miserable experience. Their practices border on the unethical and dishonest. Budget is at the top of our list of companies "Not To Do Business With".

Tom Brucia Houston, TX

I reserved for pickup at Dulles (Washington) and changed it just before flying out of Houston IAH to Reagan. I phoned and was told by customer service that the added cost of this change would only be about $19 so I agreed. My actual billing,however, jumped from $223.78 (six days) to $462.79. After phoning to correct this the woman on the phone told me she was powerless to do anything and would/could not connect me to a supervisor or to management. ---- ALSO, upon returning the car to the rental location at Reagan, the woman handling it was not only the rudest and unhelpful person I have ever met at a car rental, but indeed the rudest and unhelpful clerk I can remember ever having had the misfortune of interacting with. I am only giving a one instead of a zero because the car itself was great. The humans -- not. (No, I will never ever rent from Budget again).

Kathy

Every year we fly down to Florida and rent a car. This year we got a great rate through Budget and assumed that a large well known company would have good service. We were wrong. This is the worst experience we have ever had in renting a car. They try and upset you on everything. We had purchased insurance through our own carrier - they tried to tell you you needed to purchase theirs. They charged our credit card an extra $30.00 for converting the funds from US to CAD. Our credit card would have done the conversion free of charge. After returning the car, we have received 2 subsequent bills for tolls and a surpass. When we called, they immediately reversed the charges knowing that what they did was wrong. I will never use Budget again. It may look cheaper online but at the end of the day it will end up costing you more.

Alyssa Hansel Tallahassee, FL

The budget is a super great and connivent service. I used this service when my car broke down, and they delivered the car to me and were super friendly!