Budget Rent-a-Car was established in 1958 with a fleet of only ten cars in California. Budget is available in all 50 states and offer some great features such as online check-in, e-toll, and roadside assistance. Budget has a wide variety of cars to choose from. They offer a selection of both economy and luxury cars. Budget also has a low payment feature available to those who pay ahead of time.

#1 Enterprise chevron_right
#2 Hertz chevron_right
3.9
#3 Sixt Rent A Car chevron_right
1.3
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

The Good

• Available in All 50 States
  • Competitive Prices
  • Airport Locations
  • Online Check-In

Available in All 50 States

Budget is easily available is all 50 states. This gives Budget an advantage over its competition, who typically have locations in 23 states or less. It also offers an advantage to the customer, who can find a Budget location much easier, especially when traveling.

Competitive Prices

Rental prices for both economy and luxury cars are low in the car rental industry. This makes it affordable for more customers when traveling or those who just need a car temporarily.

Airport Locations

The company has rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. Anywhere your plane lands, there is a Budget counter available. This is very convenient for travelers looking to rent a car right from the airport. They also have locations outside of the airports so locals can rent cars without having to go through the airport office.

Online Check-In

Budget does not offer online check-in, but they do offer something called FastBreak that makes checking in faster than standing in line. FastBreak does this by keeping your information-including your signature, digitized when you make your online reservation, making it easy for you to cut right through the counter line during the pickup process.

The Bad

• No Instant Return
  • Roadside Assistance
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

No Instant Return

With Budget, all cars have to be returned in person. You cannot return the car without waiting in line and leaving the keys in the car. This is standard for car rental companies but with Budget's size and length of time in business, instant return is an option they could offer if they wanted to.

Roadside Assistance

Budget offers a roadside assistance service that covers the following:

• Key Replacement
  • Lockout Service
  • Jump-Start
  • Flat Tire Assistance or Tire Replacement
  • Fuel Delivery

The problem is that there is no flat daily rate available for this service. Budget says the daily service charge is subject to change. Most rental car companies offer a flat additional price for this, such as $5 per day. With Budget, you won't know the price until the last minute which is unpredictable-and maybe unaffordable.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

Budget does not offer an on-site fuel discount, but their four easy fuel service options include options that minimize the amount you pay if they use the pump on-site. With Budget, you will never pay more than $13.99 for the fuel service charge if you return the car less than fuel if you select their EZ Fuel service. Budget is an environmentally conscious rental agency. About half of its fleet has a fuel efficiency rating of 28 miles per gallon or better on highway. This means that renters are not only doing a little good for the environment, but are also saving themselves a little cash in gas expenses.

The Bottom Line

Budget is one of the most popular rental companies in the industry with locations in all 50 states and major airports. If convenience is a factor, this is a viable option for you, (if you're an AARP or Fastbreak rewards member, they offer many benefits and savings, too). As far as the cheapest option, Budget is lower priced than other car rental companies in the industry. Their additional features are also slightly higher than you might find with other rentals. If you do choose to rent with Budget, proceed with caution, you may find yourself paying for additional features, even if you didn't want them. Make sure to ask clear questions and state your preferences.

3.3

Steve Jones

March 30th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My experience with my local Budget was awesome. We used them while our car was in the shop. They were kind, courteous, and helpful - a great representation of the company's values. Will use them again the next time we're in need of a rental!

Swagmom

March 22nd, 2020 Lake Worth, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I rented a compact car; four doors and seats five, and I was given an economy car; two doors and seats 4. My son pointed out that since his brother decided not to travel with us, we should just leave it, so I did. But getting in and out of that back seat was too challenging for the seniors I was staying with. Also, at the end of my five days, I called to price adding two more days and was quoted $79.34, even though their website showed a new rental at $53 and change. The kid on the phone told me if I wanted that price I needed to go back to the airport and return the car and get a new rental. So I went back to the airport and returned the car and walked next door to Enterprise to pick up my new two day rental.

Myken

March 16th, 2020 , UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used Budget Rental Car on a recent family vacation and the customer service was excellent, very helpful and the price was so affordable.

Jeremy Webb

March 11th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Budget couple times with my business along with some other truck competitors and I really enjoyed my experience with Budget. The trucks I have received to rent were in great condition and had no issues. My only complaint is that we don’t have many locations around my location that offer the truck rentals which is what I mainly use. Employees are nice and helpful in finding whatever you need.

Nicole Jones

March 6th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Budget Rental in Las Vegas has the best service! I travel to Las Vegas quite often for work and find the location to be conveniently located, the staff helpful, and the process simple. Great level of service for a minimal price tag!

Erin Glendening

March 5th, 2020 New Orleans, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The trucks Budget provides can hold a lot of objects and a good amount of weight. They have pretty fair prices.

Dwhoush

March 5th, 2020 New Orleans, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Their customer service is good at time and bad at times. Their vehicles aren’t always the best quality nor are they always clean.

Kimi Bayles

March 3rd, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I loved using Budget on my business trip. I got a great car without breaking the bank. There was an employee who walked me out to my car, showed me everything I needed to know and got me going. Thanks for the great service at a great price!

James Conder

March 2nd, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Budget for rentals car a lot for my work travels. Always had a clean car, full tank of gas, and no damage waiting for me when I arrived. Customer service was always amazing when using Budget, no matter which city or state I was in.

take7

February 26th, 2020 Sandy, UT

Check in and out sometimes is a hassle and they take a while but the price and size of the car couldn't be beat that time around and so it was fine.

Ben Pipes

February 26th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used budget several times and have always had a positive experience. Customer service had been excellent.

Kayle Wilds

February 26th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Cheap prices and they have a military discount that we were able to use to make it cheaper.

Mike e

February 26th, 2020 Lakeland, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Deceptive practices associated with recent truck rental in St Augustine. Added additional insurance coverage to my bill after I declined it at counter

David T

February 25th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I rented from Budget and they tried to change the car on me because they didn't have any available that I had reserved. The car got bad gas mileage but they didn't seem to care.

Stephanie Love

February 25th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used budget several times and I haven’t had any complaints yet. The cars are always clean and I’ve got the car I requested or in some cases they have upgraded me to a nicer vehicle. The customer service has always been great and haven’t had any headaches or long lines to have to wait in. They were quick and professional.

Robert Wilson

February 25th, 2020 Rockville, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use budget when I travel in the US. They are almost always the cheapest rental car available. Their cars are a good variety of current cars. They get you in and out very quickly especially at Denver International Airport - their service is awesome. I would recommend using them in the US - I have not had the chance to use them internationally. Great value for the money.

mccandless24

February 25th, 2020 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We were on our way to pick up our rental and received a call stating they did not have a vehicle for us and that it would be an hour more. After an hour and a half passed we called and were told they still had nothin this time saying they didn’t know when they would get one.... after 5 HOURS of waiting we finally were told something similar to what we booked was there. I was grateful we planned ahead and booked a day before we had to go so that the late time did not mess up our vacation BUT budget did Nothing to compensate the ordeal we had to go through. Would not recommend.

Dette

February 22nd, 2020 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The car I rented was only able to be taken to 4 specific states, not including where I was going. This was not disclosed online when reserving. The personnel at the counter did find a work around. But that took almost 3 hours and driving across town and trading cars. They also tried to increase the price to almost double what was quoted online. I insisted on being given the online quote. They said they couldn't change it and I just kept showing them my print out and insisting. It did work out ok in the end but I will not use Budget again.

Kaitlyn Rios

February 21st, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Budget has the best cars for cheap. They have convenient reservations and easy check out. The contracts are easy to read and I feel that we get great cars to drive. Overall, I value Budget over all others simply on price!

Annie Robbins

February 18th, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We recently rented from Budget on our vacation to Florida. There was not a mini van as we had requested when we got there late at night. The agent went out of their way to have another car cleaned quickly for us to have and helped make sure we stayed within our budget for the bigger car. Great service!

Nicholas Genes

February 18th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use budget when renting local moving trucks. They have good rates for day and weekend use.

Audrey Mitchell

February 18th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Budget that my insurance paid for while my actual car was getting fixed. The car ran great and was nice!

Justin Riggs

February 14th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used many times for travel. Never had a bad experience. Priced well and good cars to choose from for any size needed.

amy rex

February 14th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Value is great, but I always have to wait in long lines. The small price for their preferred members is worth it.

Matt Campbell

February 10th, 2020 Lynnwood, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Rented a fine Kia Soul in las Vegas, a good deal and good service too, would rent again.

Jami Lucas

February 10th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We got a good price on a cat, however we had to wait in line for over an hour and were greeted by a grumpy attendant.

Bryndie

February 10th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible company. The customer rep was extremely rude. The rules you read on their website are completely different than the ones at the desk when you’re trying to get the car you already paid for. Very schemy company and very rude. Do not use this rental car company.

Angelina Hamilton

February 7th, 2020 Jackson, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Booked online and went to pick up and the car wasn’t there. Had to wait for them to figure out what they were going to do.

Christyan Bennett

February 7th, 2020 New Orleans, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Budget Rental Cars and Trucks have made my move so much more simple. Their prices were amazing and their customer service was so awesome. I would recommend them to anyone!

Reckholdt

February 7th, 2020 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We got a great deal on a rental car from budget. It was exactly what we had expected and it was clean and functional.

Eddie Rios

February 6th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

For economy and value, Budget is a very safe bet. Budget always has the best deals in my area. When needing to economize, Budget is a great option. Service, vehicle selection, contract options-all great with Budget.

PessoaJ

February 4th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Rented through Budget on our last trip and it was great. Car was ready and staff quick and helpful. Would rent from them again.

Cam McClellan

January 27th, 2020 Magna, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My experience with the budget was OK although they sold out of the cars they had promised me and so they offered me an upgrade to a car that got significantly worse gas mileage. After I asked him if they had anything else they told me I could also get a 15 passenger van which was even worse for driving and gas mileage. The car I got was fine but I did spend significantly more in gas than I was wanting to.

Mickey Mangum

January 16th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Budget several times. I have found them to be just as good as all the other rental car carriers I have used. The vehicles are clean, modern and easy to pick up and drop off. I've never had a negative issue with them.

Dallen Howes

January 9th, 2020 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I rented a car in San Francisco. Pickup and dropoff of the vehicle was much easier than I expected. The car was also very nice. As far as rental cars go, the price is pretty good; however, I would always prefer if it were lower!

Sara Smith

December 9th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had great prices when renting here and the service has been great as well.

Juan

December 9th, 2019 Beaver, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like budget car rental. They normally have decent rental cars for cheaper than anyone else. I rented one at an airport before and it was a good price.

Tom Gourley

December 2nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Budget on occasion and find their service and pricing to be okay. Sometimes their car selection is not great and I have had to wait in line a bit long but they have tried to take care of my needs.

Larson

December 2nd, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

A budget because they offer deals. The car seems to be in good condition and reliable.

Spencer Morris (Logan)

November 19th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Everytime i use budget it seems like features that come standard on other rentals cost with Budget-- i get the name but come on.

Todd Homitz

November 18th, 2019 Evans City, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Went to Disney this year and Budget had the best price for what I was looking for. I would high recommend.

Nathan D.

November 15th, 2019 Warrendale, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When my car broke down and was in the shop I needed to find a cheap rental to get to and from work on a Sunday. None of the big rental names were open however I was able to get a small car from Budget at the airport and I thank them for that.

Tony

November 12th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I showed up to pick up my rental, they no longer had the car I reserved. They upgraded me to a nicer car, but charged me for the upgrade and on top of that, the car wasn't clean inside. On the plus side, rate was the lowest I could fine.

Eric Smith

November 7th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our last experience with Budget the lady helping us noticed I had all my kids with us and upgraded us to a minivan to give us even more room without any additional cost.

abby becht

October 31st, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would personally not go with Budget again. The employees were not willing to help us, and it took hours to get a car.

Shawn

October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Budget is one of my favorite car rental options. Always easy to find. Good cars great service!

Rischelle Mikkelson

October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I can always count on Budget to have the best value for car rental when I travel. I like that they are in many international locations as well. Makes it easy to rent with a company I trust.

Alyssa Boren

October 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The car was still dirty and had garbage inside of it when it was given to us which was very off putting.

Don Boren

October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This place lives up to it's name. The price is very low, but so is the quality of car and service. I have had cars that aren't very clean upon pick up, and the staff isn't super friendly when you drop off.

Amy Boren

October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We rented from here for our family florida trip. It was easy to get the car and it was dark when we picked it up. By the time we loaded up and left I noticed that the car smelled like smoke, YUCK!! We also found that it really hadn't been cleaned at all in between uses. There were wrappers, bottles and garbage all over the car and a good amount of sand on the floor and seats. I was not impressed and will not be renting from them anytime soon!!