Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Budget

Budget Logo

Budget

Get a Budget Business Program account and save up to 30 percent.

Budget Rent-a-Car was established in 1958 with a fleet of only ten cars in California. Budget is available in all 50 states and offer some great features such as online check-in, e-toll, and roadside assistance. Budget has a wide variety of cars to choose from. They offer a selection of both economy and luxury cars. Budget also has a low payment feature available to those who pay ahead of time.

Enterprise Logo Enterprise ›

9.2

Overall
Score

Hertz Logo Hertz ›

7.5

Overall
Score

Costco Travel Logo Costco Travel ›

7.5

Overall
Score

Budget Logo Budget ›

7.0

Overall
Score

The Good

• Available in all 50 states
  • Competitive pricing
  • Online check-in available

States Available

Budget is easily available is all 50 states. This gives Budget an advantage over its competition, who typically have locations in 23 states or less. It also offers an advantage to the customer, who can find a Budget location much easier, especially when traveling.

Rental Prices

Rental prices for both economy and luxury cars are low in the car rental industry. This makes it affordable for more customers when traveling or those who just need a car temporarily.

Airports Locations

The company has rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. Anywhere your plane lands, there is a Budget counter available. This is very convenient for travelers looking to rent a car right from the airport. They also have locations outside of the airports so locals can rent cars without having to go through the airport office.

Online Check-In

Budget does not offer online check-in, but they do offer something called FastBreak that makes checking in faster than standing in line. FastBreak does this by keeping your information-including your signature, digitized when you make your online reservation, making it easy for you to cut right through the counter line during the pickup process.

The Bad

• No instant return options
  • Roadside fees
  • No on-site fuel discount

Instant Return

With Budget, all cars have to be returned in person. You cannot return the car without waiting in line and leaving the keys in the car. This is standard for car rental companies but with Budget's size and length of time in business, instant return is an option they could offer if they wanted to.

On-Site Fuel Discount

Budget does not offer an on-site fuel discount, but their four easy fuel service options include options that minimize the amount you pay if they use the pump on-site. With Budget, you will never pay more than $13.99 for the fuel service charge if you return the car less than fuel if you select their EZ Fuel service. Budget is an environmentally conscious rental agency. About half of its fleet has a fuel efficiency rating of 28 miles per gallon or better on highway. This means that renters are not only doing a little good for the environment, but are also saving themselves a little cash in gas expenses.

Roadside Assistance

Budget offers a roadside assistance service that covers the following:

• Key Replacement
  • Lockout Service
  • Jump-Start
  • Flat Tire Assistance or Tire Replacement
  • Fuel Delivery

The problem is that there is no flat daily rate available for this service. Budget says the daily service charge is subject to change. Most rental car companies offer a flat additional price for this, such as $5 per day. With Budget, you won't know the price until the last minute which is unpredictable-and maybe unaffordable.

The Bottom Line

Budget is one of the most popular rental companies in the industry with locations in all 50 states and major airports. If convenience is a factor, this is a viable option for you, (if you're an AARP or Fastbreak rewards member, they offer many benefits and savings, too). As far as the cheapest option, Budget is lower priced than other car rental companies in the industry. Their additional features are also slightly higher than you might find with other rentals. If you do choose to rent with Budget, proceed with caution, you may find yourself paying for additional features, even if you didn't want them. Make sure to ask clear questions and state your preferences.

2.9

Tiffany
December 14th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

I hate taking my car on road trips so i decided to rent a car. Best decision EVER cheap, reliable, and super easy to do.

Nishita
December 5th, 2018 McLean, VA DETAILS

I've rented a Budget car twice now, once in Orlando while driving to Miami and once to drive in and around Washington DC. I got very good prices both the time, the cars were clean, was in and out real quick. Was satisfied with the service and the pricing.

Amber C Frey
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

I rented from these guys once and it was a pretty painless experience. The car was in great condition and it wasn't too expensive to rent it. I would likely use them again if I needed to rent a car.

Matt Hanzel
November 6th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

Always the best value for the best price. Their customer service is good and I really enjoyed the Fastbreak service.

Tevita
September 27th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I have used Budget a few times, and they are usually the ones who price out the best. Never had any problems with picking up or returning my car. Great customer service as well.

Dave Brinton
August 31st, 2018

Price is always competitive. Customer service is always good.

wanda
August 31st, 2018 Saint George, UT

i had to stop renting from Budget because they never have the vehicle i reserve. they try to get me into a small vehicle which didn't have enough space for the number of passengers we had. another occassion they tried to upgrade us to a dodge ram truck but we have to pay the difference. i explained that if i wanted a dodge ram truck i would have reserved it. i specifically wanted the mini van because i was traveling with my daughter and 3 of her soccer teammates and needed the extra space plus i didn't want to pay a lot in gas with the truck. they were so rude. they did not take responsibility yet puts the blame back on the customer. very disappointed.

Lesa Burgess
August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Budget has good cars to rent at an affordable price. However, their rewards benefits and points aren't very good compared to other competitors. As much as I travel, this is a huge deal for me. I'm all about rewards points and programs and for me to consistently rent from Budget, they need to improve this!

Thomas Hullinger
August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I use Budget from time to time and thy always have a good rate, are easy to get in and out of and their cars are clean and in good repair and if they don't have the car you need, they will upgrade you.

J Paul Wright
August 27th, 2018 Central, UT

I have used Budget a few times in the past. I have generally been disappointed, especially with their car selection. The price was always good, hence the reason for choosing them, but when I arrived to pick up the cars (multiple occasions) they "upgraded" me to vehicles that got significantly worse fuel economy, making our trip more expensive in the long run. Sometimes you want to car class that you chose.

Mali
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

don't even bother making a reservation! they do not guarantee a reservation and never have vehicles in stocked! Rude customer service.

Aiga
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

they use to be very reliable. the price is always good but the customer service has gone down in the last 5 years. no communication what so ever when they have no vehicles. i find out when i arrive to pickup. i missed my daughters game because they had no vehicles on the lot when i made my reservation a month before pickup. they had 3 vehicles sitting on the lot and this is there reply to me "those are already reserved for someone else" .. i reserved the same vehicle as the one that was sitting outside. very rude and didn't care about my reservation.

Robin
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

cheap rental but they didn't have the vehicle i booked a few times. they either had to upgrade me into a bigger vehicle for an extra charge or get a smaller rental which didn't work out for the amount of passengers i had. if was either take it or leave it kind of deal. never went there again.

Jr
August 28th, 2018 Orem, UT

don't waste your time booking with Budget. When you book your rental your are still not guaranteed a car. very disappointed when they tell you when you go pick up your rental that they have NO cars. No phone call to warn you. Very rude customer service. Will not do business with them anymore.

Rashida Laumatia
August 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Terrible customer service. Fees don’t get back to you when they said it would. And the cars aren’t always clean. When I reserve a car In advance I get there and have to wait for up to an hour every single time. It’s ridiculous!

Allyah
August 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

the worst! They have the cheapest prices but customer service was awful in St George, UT. I would book weeks or even months prior and when i call in a week to make sure everything is scheduled/set for my trip they tell me YES. Then when i get to the office there are NO cars to be rented. I had to find a last minute ride to get to where i needed to be at the time.

Bella Houtz
August 23rd, 2018 South Jordan, UT

Budget rental cars are very nice cars for an affordable price. I would definitely recommend getting one and not using and Uber.

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We rented from Budget out of Denver. We were over an hour in line waiting for our rent a car.

Carolynn
August 20th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

I usually check budget first now when looking for rental cars as they are usually cheaper then other companies. We have used them a few times and have had great experiences each time.

Jodie Larson
August 17th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Budget is one of my go to car rental companies because their prices are competative and their locations are convenient. They last time I rented through them, they upgraded, me at no extra charge, to a large 4WD Jeep that looked really cool but it got terrible gas mileage so when I got to my destination, I found the nearest Budget location and switched it out for something more economical. I love that they were willing to do that for me!

Karen Nelson
July 30th, 2018 Alpine, UT

Budget seems to always live up to its name. They have good prices and seem to be efficient and friendly. I have had 100% satisfaction every time.

Sara Jane
July 25th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

The quality of the vehicles are good. I have rented many trucks from the, I appreciate their customer service. Everyone is very nice and do well to make sure you have what you need.

Spencer Hodgson
July 18th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I was impressed with the lady that took care of me when I returned my car. They have good customer service.

Pamela J Olberg
June 27th, 2018 Minnetonka, MN DETAILS

We reserved a 12 passenger Ford transit van three and 1/2 monthes prior to our trip at McCarron airport Las Vegas. When we arrived we were told that they don't have twelve passenger vans and the only available van was a 15 passenger Chev Express van. This is hardly an equilalent. When we conplained on return that two of the seat belts only worked part time we were told that movement caused then naturally to lock up and the only option for unlocking them was to stop and restart the engine. This situation was totally unsafe as we sometimes had to drive without seat belts.

Joanna Hester
June 18th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

My husband asked me to rent a car for him for his last work trip. I chose Budget because they had the type of car he wanted at the best price. The staff at the rental agency made his experience pleasant and quick for both picking up his car and returning it.

Tom
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I do not like budget. Last time I used them they charged me an additional day when I was a little late bringing the car back.

Amy Crawley
June 5th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

Loved my experience. Excellent car for the money. Clean.

Joel Ward
May 16th, 2018 Modesto, CA

Angela at the Modesto, CA, Sears location for Budget has been providing consistent excellent service for me. I've rented many times from her and continue to do so. I'm picky about customer service and she knows how to provide that very professionally. She even provided me a cell number for off hour contact if needed, which I did once and it was a life saver for me. Thanks Budget and thanks Angela!

William
April 20th, 2018 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Lots of hidden fees. Bad customer service. Always fill up the tank before returning the vehicle, or get charged about $10 a gallon for them to fill it up plus other hidden fees on top of that which is ridiculous. Well, I guess this is how they make money out of their customers. First time rented from Buget, and it will be the last!

Don Williams
January 17th, 2018 DETAILS

Budget car rental Honolulu Hawaii Airport reserved a car for our 10:30 pm flight, airline gave us an earlier flight but we did not change car reservation. We show up 5 hour early and the agent says she/he has no mid size cars and try upgrade us with upgraded prices, I smell rats and I hate being ripped. I rebooked the car reservation at a lower price and got my mid size car. What idols!

Charlotte Ash
December 19th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

They provide good cars and service. They have up grade our cars if they didn't have the car we have wanted. Their price have been good.

Chuck Stiggins
December 13th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

They have great customer service and have always been very helpful when I am looking to rent a car.

Cassidy Gundersen
December 12th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

My husband and I rented a car through Budget when we went to Disneyland. Not a super great experience, but it wasn’t terrible either. There were a bunch of little charges that we could have avoided had we planned better.

Becky Stiggins
December 11th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Budget has always provided quality customer service and quality vehicles at a great price.

Hayley Lambdin
November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

Their prices are great but I do not like their customer service at our closest location in Orem, Utah. They are very slow with long wait times and always seemed frazzled when you are picking up or dropping off. At the airports though, my husband and I have not had a problem.

Stevie
November 3rd, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Rented twice in a month in different states. Great prices. In and out fast. Close to airport.

Amy
October 16th, 2017

Prepaid online only to get there for a week rental on Sunday afternoon and they said we couldn’t rent. Refund in 7-10 business days because they have to go through corporate to refund cancellation fee of $150. I didn’t cancel.

Sandra Dubas
June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Every time we travel and rent from Budget we have problems with them. They have hidden fees and and once in a while we encounter rude employees. Their cars are always in good conditions though.

Julie Firkins
June 12th, 2017 Orem, UT

I thought I was getting a certain car and when i got there i was given a different vehicle i was very disappointed !next time i will read the small print

Breanna Jones
June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I always appreciate when I get upgraded and get a better rental than the one I booked. That happens with Budget. I think prices are fair and employees have been pleasant to work with.