Avis was founded by Warren Avis in 1946 at Willow Run Airport in Detroit with an $85,000 investment. Shortly after, Avis opened a location at the Miami International Airport. After years of varying acquisitions and mergers, the car rental company has expanded to Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia. They have also launched an Avis car rental app.

#1 Enterprise chevron_right
#2 Hertz chevron_right
3.9
#3 Sixt Rent A Car chevron_right
1.3
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

The Good

• Economy Price Range
  • Luxury Price Range
  • 50 States Available
  • Airport Locations
  • Instant Return
  • Toll Prepay Option
  • Loyalty Program

Economy Price Range

Avis offers low to average prices for their car rentals. Avis also has a wide variety of vehicles. They have moving vans, which are not always available at other rental companies, as well as pickups, which may be even less common. While these are not available at every Avis location, they typically are. This offers renters a wider range of vehicles to choose from than the average rental car company. Avis also uses many environmentally-friendly vehicles in its fleet. Most of its smaller vehicles are SmartWay certified and do minimal harm to the environment. All of their vehicles are 100 percent smoke-free in the U.S. and Canada, so smokers who want to smoke in their rental car will have to try another company.

Luxury Price Range

If you're looking to rent a luxury car, Avis offers low to average prices in the car rental industry. Many popular rental car brands out there do not offer luxury rentals, making Avis more advantageous to luxury car renters. Although there are a few companies that offer lower rates, Avis' daily rates are pretty average for luxury cars in the industry. Avis also has a special series of vehicles called "Signature Series" cars, which provide renters with a more exotic, luxurious experience. In this collection of cars, renters can choose from Mercedes, BMWs, Maseratis, Corvettes, or a variety of other exciting vehicles.

50 States Available

Avis stands far above the competition with locations in all 50 states. Most companies have locations in an average of 23 states. Knowing there is an Avis in your destination airport or city makes formulating travel plans in advance much easier.

Airport Locations

With rental counters at most major airports throughout the United States and North America, Avis is much more accessible to travelers than its competitors. If you need a car right when you get off the plane, an Avis location most likely will be there once you check out your luggage.

Instant Return

Avis has streamlined the rental return process so that renters can return their vehicles in as little as one minute using a kiosk. This reduces stress for busy travelers and ensures that renters trying to catch a flight won't be caught arriving late because of their rental returns.

Toll Prepay Option

Avis offers a toll prepay option called e-Toll, an electronic toll collection program which makes road travel more convenient. Avis e-Toll cannot be reserved in advance, but it is already conveniently installed in many cars, so it doesn't need to be ordered through their website. When you're making an online reservation, it allows you to check the box if you want to include this as an add-on service when paying for your reservation online. The thing to know about e-Toll is that you are automatically enrolled in it if you choose to not pay cash for tolls. This has led to customer issues. Those who were not aware of this found additional charges to their credit/debit card later on. Under the e-Toll program, once you pass through an electronic toll, you will pay a convenience fee of $3.95 for each day of the entire rental period, including any days on which e-Toll is not used, up to a maximum of $19.75 per rental month.

Loyalty Program

Avis Preferred is a revenue-based loyalty program. The rewards program is free to join and offers points for the money you spend with Avis. You can redeem these points to rent a car or purchase accessories and upgrades for your rentals.

The Bad

• Strict Cancellation Policy
  • Roadside Assistance Expenses
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount
  • No Online Check-In

Strict Cancellation Policy

Avis charges $25 if you cancel within six hours before the rental period. After six hours, the cancellation fee increases to a no-show fee of $100, but the rest of the rental is refunded. The refund makes this a slightly better policy than some rental companies which will charge late cancellation fees for as much as 24 hours before the rental period with no refund. However, many companies have less strict cancellation policies and often do not require a cancellation fee.

Roadside Assistance Expenses

In case your rental vehicle has problems, Avis offers extended roadside assistance for $7.49 per day. This is slightly higher than the typical rental company who charges an average of $5–6 per day, but it is a good safety measure to take nonetheless.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

Avis offers several fuel plans, but on-site fuel discounts are not advertised. Car rental customers are either expected to bring the car back with a full tank or choose between fueling payment plan options.

No Online Check-In

Although Avis's return process is streamlined, their check-in process is not. This would not typically be a negative, since in-person check-in is standard in the car rental industry. However, being a global brand that has been in business for over 70 years, one would think they would have innovated a feature allowing customers to check in from the website instead of the rental counter. While returning an Avis rental can be very quick, many customers report that they had to stand in very long lines when picking up their vehicle. Some stood in line for a couple of hours at certain locations and noted that the employees at the counter seemed to lack a sense of urgency. When they arrived at the counter, employees tried to sell them insurance and upgrades, taking even longer. For travelers getting off of a long flight, hurrying to a meeting, or anxious to begin their vacation, this kind of wait is not desirable.

The Bottom Line

Avis is a big rental company and a recognized brand name with a lot of options, and it is available almost anywhere you travel. While Avis has the advantage of offering perks for loyal customers, they do have some issues such as their strict cancellation policies and some negative customer feedback. If you're a smoker, Avis is not the option for you, since all cars are 100 percent smoke-free. If you're a local resident, Avis is a prime option due to the company's non-airport locations. And if renting environment-friendly cars is important to you, Avis also offers cars that fit that criteria. We recommend considering Avis as an option when searching for a car rental company.

3.0

Michael Sweet

April 16th, 2020 Astoria, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Really, REALLY, bad experience with Avis, generally speaking. However, their Covid19 response was the worst. Because I canceled my reservation through the app and did not call them (they were not answering for hours at a time) I had to pay the full cancelation fee. This is because I did not wait until closer to the date (by 6 days). The customer service manager (note, manager) that I spoke with lectured me for 3 minutes, without allowing me to speak, from a script and then told me that it was my fault that I was being charged the fee. Where is the compassion for customers who didn't receive this "information" on how to call them and do things properly? Where is the compassion for customers who are canceling their trip because of Covid19 and have no options? You know the $50 fee is not really a big deal for me financially, but for many out there right now that is a trip to the grocery store! This is a nasty corporate money grab and also money poorly spent, as I will never do business with them again (after 23 years of business with them). What I will do, however, is spread the story of how I was treated. How this company responded in the greatest public health crisis of their time! Avis should be ashamed.

Steve Jones

March 30th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Avis is so great to work with. During a recent business trip, I was left stranded with no vehicle due to a mixup with a different rental agency. The representatives at Avis were so helpful and quick to get me into a vehicle and on the road. Highly recommend using Avis when traveling!

Judy Marks

March 12th, 2020 Elkton, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband is an 82 year old equine vetinarian who was traveling to Wellington Fl for the horse show. He has COPD. The CDC advised anyone over 80 years old to avoid flying. When I called to cancel the car I was informed that there would be a $50 cancellation fee in spite of the fact that the US is experiencing a pandemic and the cancellation was 3 days before the scheduled pickup date. This is price gouging! We have been members of Avis for over 30 years but will never use Avis again and will suggest to our friends to do likewise.

Msindoni

March 8th, 2020 Pembroke Pines, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Avis is my go to car rental provider. They offer services everywhere I have traveled. They have plenty of vehicle options at a great rate, plus they offer discounts if you belong to various organizations.

jkenny90

March 4th, 2020 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I frequently use Avis to rent cars for business travel and have never had any issues with either the cars or the rental process. Getting off the airplane and into my rental car to on the road is always seamless and efficient.

Kaitlyn Rios

February 25th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love using Avis rental car because they always have the car ready and prepped for my pick up. I have always been impressed with the quick check out. I do like the discounts for this agency. I highly recommend this rental agency.

Mykahla Nelson

February 21st, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used this company when we went to Minnesota! We got off the plane and was able to locate the car and get on my way.

Laura Baird

February 19th, 2020 Charlotte, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Would love to be able to take stars away from this company. Skip the online reservation and the laughable confirmation number. Even though it's 2020, this company lacks the ability to determine whether a site will have the car class you have reserved. The online process of picking a location, time and vehicle are a complete waste of time. You will be offered sonething else for a higher price or you will get the option of sitting around until someone brings in the type of car you "reserved". Everyone is apologetic, but this is common practice at Avis, apparently. Do yourself a favor and check out Turo instead.

Nicholas Genes

February 18th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve had to go with Avis when the other rental companies were out of stock. they don’t have anything that really stands out except that they came through when everyone else had nothing. Worth comparing with other large companies

Audrey Mitchell

February 18th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Avis was a great company to use while needing transportation. The cars are clean and there are many options.

Baby Boomer Couch Potato

February 14th, 2020 Palisades Park, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am (was) an Avis Preferred customer and have rented from Avis quite a bit in the past, never with great results, so I never expect much. I often fly into West Palm Beach airport as was the case Feb 5, 2020. As usual, the car in my reserved spot, was not mine and it took quite a while to straighten that out, no thanks to the rude employee at the counter. But it went downhill from there. Near the end of my visit, my car had a starter issue and I almost got stuck. Unlike Enterprise which has come to my rescue in the past with a car that had an issue, Avis wasn't really interested. Eventually, I had to drive the problematic car forty minutes to the airport, was made to feel like I was wrong to be upset, wait outside in the heat for an additional twenty minutes for another car and drive forty minutes back to my wheelchair bound mother to try to make appointments that were delayed. When I requested some refund from Avis, I was told "too bad". How's that for customer service. I strongly recommend that you do not rent from Avis, and I know I never will again.

amy rex

February 14th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Avis often and never have had an issue. Cars are clean and in good working order.

Jenna Bagley

February 10th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

On more than one occasion I've made a reservation with Avis and then shown up at the airport only to find that they had lost my reservation somehow. Super annoying and I will not use them again if I can help it.

Amanda

February 10th, 2020 Montebello, CA

When I went on vacation with friends, we rented a car from Avis and had an awesome experience. We used a shuttle to get to the company from the airport and the car was already ready.

Bryndie

February 10th, 2020 Managua, MN

Decent rental car company. The staff was nice enough, just not overly helpful. It was fairly priced but I think there are prices that are more worth your money.

Eddie Rios

February 10th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Avis is my go-to car rental agency. I love the upgrades, low prices, and cool cars. Everything I have ever rented from Avis has been newer, super clean, and well maintained. Reservations and checkout are so easy and hassle free. And they have a million locations for easy returns. They are simply the best!

Sasha Torman

February 7th, 2020 Syracuse, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have rented with Avis many times when travelling for work, and nearly every experience in a variety of cities has been miserable. First off, many cars are filthy and not cleaned at all. Seats stained, nasty stuff collecting in cupholders etc. Recently I had to return one of my cars because it had an unbalanced wheel. I spent hours trying to call every phone number imaginable, and people either hung up on me or couldn't understand English well enough to help. Every time I have to deal with the rental agent, they seem to know very little and are never helpful. The worst offense is that recently they sneaked in a "Select and Go" upgrade which added almost $400 to a 6 day rental, nearly doubling the cost. The rental agent assured me that this "upgrade" was just the normal daily rate so like an idiot I listened to him and accepted, since the rate shown was about what I expected for the daily rate. I did not understand that this was in fact added to the existing daily rate. Now they refuse to refund me, claiming that I chose this upgrade, despite the fact that they literally had to explain to me what the upgrade was when explaining to me how I chose it. Save your money, your time, and your sanity and rent with literally anybody else.

Corbett Douglas

February 7th, 2020 Cedar Fort, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the company I use the most when traveling. They are inexpensive and service has always been reliable.

Reckholdt

February 7th, 2020 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We got a great deal on a rental from Avis. I was concerned cause I feel like you get what you pay for and we got such a great deal I thought we would get a crap car. But we didn’t, it was clean and nice! It was a great!

Bill Nelson

February 3rd, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Use them anytime I travel. Good selection great rate, and always willing to work out any issues.

PessoaJ

February 3rd, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have always had a positive experience with Avis. We even got an upgrade on our last trip for free. Would rent from them again.

chris Francom

January 29th, 2020 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve rented from Avis a few times. The prices were great but the lines seem really lon at destination locations.

catherine chiasson

January 24th, 2020 Sherbrooke, QC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When we booked the vehicle for our trip to Costa Rica, we paid for the liability insurance and declined the CDW insurance since our credit card covered us. It was on the Avis website itself, that we saw that it was possible to do this. We therefore asked the insurance company linked to our credit card to send us an official letter explaining the details of the insurance coverage suggested to us by several travel sites. When we arrived in San Josee on January 13th, the agent at the counter systematically refused to let us take possession of the vehicle if we didn't buy Avis CDW. We showed him the Allianz letter, he didn't even look at it and was very rude to us. In the end, we had to pay for the CDW insurance EVEN though our credit card covered us for almost $500 CAD more!! We sent an email to the customer service and they answered that the company reserves the right to deny the customer's insurance... this information is not indicated anywhere! You didn't give us the choice to buy your insurance otherwise we didn't have a vehicle. A real company of SCAMMERS!

TAC

January 20th, 2020 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Rented in AUS on Christmas Eve. In a hurry. Wanted to get to a candlelight service in Waco. Absolute old piece of crap Nissan pickup with 35,000 miles and severe hail damage. Avis should be ashamed. Got to wonder who is in charge in Austin. I would fire them.

Dmitri Perepelov

January 20th, 2020 Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been Avis customer since 2007. I used to be Avis First before they discontinued that level, then went to Avis Preferred Plus. My records show that over that period I paid them US$60K, with 10 to 30 rentals each year. So maybe I'm not the top customer but certainly not the last one. The had been issues with Aeroplan Miles awarded for rentals. I'd take advantage of a promotion, enter all the codes - and sometimes not get all the miles promised, or no miles at all. I'd contact customer service, and after some back&forth they'd issue those miles. Last fall I had several rentals with that issue - and they eventually said I didn't use the right code when I was booking. So when I had to book a rental next time, I made sure to take screenshots of every step, noting that I follow what's written in the promotion to the letter. And when I didn't get the miles, I sent all that to Avis CS asking for the credit. That was last December, and they first said it would take 5 to 7 business days, and when I called again two weeks later, they said they need 10 more business days - no explanation why they couldn't give an accurate ETA. So I called again today - only to find out that my claim was denied and the case was closed. They ignored all the evidence basically saying since the code is incorrect in their system - there's nothing they can do. They ignored my question: how can I make sure the data in their system is correct, since I don't have access to it, I only see what I enter myself. I've spoken to four CS agents today, and all of them were rude and inconsiderate at the end of our conversation. I have decided that I no longer want to do any business with a company that treats its "preferred" clients so poorly.

Mickey Mangum

January 14th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've rented from Avis serval times. The cars are always clean and work correctly. Pickup and dropoff is as easy as can be. Friendly staff. Good company.

Jacque Nash

December 31st, 2019 Katy, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I returned my recent rental to the avis location KY4 in Katy Texas with a full tank of gas. Two days later I noticed a charge of almost $80 on my bank statement from avis. Upon investigation I discovered that I was charged that amount because the location reported the vehicle was not returned with a full tank of gas. I had to provide proof of gas purchase to which I will have to wait 3-5 business days to receive refund. This is very inconvenient and frustrating. I will never do business with avis and highly recommend that anyone who does monitor their bank account in the days following a rental return for any extra charges that are inaccurate and unwarranted.

Alicia

December 31st, 2019 Washington, DC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The worst rental car company. Pros- *Ability to rent w/any state DL. *No deposit to no more than 100 deposit. *Upgrade can be given Cons- *Customer service Call center does not know Avis policy’s. I spoke with 5 different agents just so I can confirm details if my reservation. The agents DO NOT know the policy at all. Only two agents spoke the same thing the other 3 agents said different things. *Everytime I called I would have to give detail info because I’m rental wasn’t found. *I called to extend a rental and I confirmed the extension even two different agents confirmed my extension and I thought I was good to go until 3 DAYS later I received a phone call from a automated system that my rental was 3 days pass due. But I called to extended. I called the customer service because you will never ever ever ever reach anyone at the actual location in DC. So no I’m being told I have to go to a Avis location the sane one I picked up the car at just to get all my details straighten out. I’m so lost. Enterprise I recommend to anyone. It’s a smooth process. Anytime changes needed to be done with enterprise I’ve never had a issue with enterprise. AVIS IS STRESSFUL!! Unprofessional!! Unknowledgeable!!!

Tom Gourley

December 2nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Avis has a good selection of vehicles. Their customer service representatives are friendly and will do what they can to provide complementary upgrades if they are available. I have also found their locations to be convenient, particularly with regard to major airports. The only concern about Avis is that their prices are a bit high but I will continue to consider them because of their reliability and customer service.

Pat Cosimano

November 19th, 2019 Santa Fe, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Defective cars, 0 stars! I rented a car October 19 - 31 in San Luis Obispo, CA. While I was driving about 30 miles to my hotel late at night, the tire pressure warning light came on. I had business meetings for the next couple of days and wasn't able to deal with this defective car except to air up the tires. Only one tire was low, and I aired it up a total of 3 times before I had time to swap the car during their business hours. I needed roadside assistance because I was afraid to drive the 30 miles back to the airport on a bad tire. I explicitly asked Avis if I would be charged for the assistance and the agent said "no charge". If the agent had told me there would be a charge, I would have used the other roadside assistance plan that I have. On October 31 when I was going to return it, the second car refused to start -- also defective. Again, I called for roadside assistance, again I asked if this would be charged to me, again the agent said "no". Roadside assistance took so long to get to me the second time that I missed my 12:30 p.m. flight, the last departure of the day. I called Avis again, and explained that now I would have to get a hotel for the night and Avis should pay for the hotel as it was because of their defective vehicle. Avis refused to cover the hotel but did extend my rental agreement. The supervisor offered to give me 2 nights free on this rental and exchange the defective car a 2nd time -- to my third car in less than 2 weeks. When I turned in the car on November 1, the Avis counter wasn't open yet, so I could not get a receipt. I called the location and Avis' main number trying to get the receipt on November 1 Nov, 2 , 4 , and 7 . Several times they said they emailed it to my address on file, that I should wait at least 4 hours to get it. I never received it. Finally I requested and got the reciept at an alternate email address -- it shows no evidence of the promised 2 free days. Now, 3 whole weeks after the first, tire-related, roadside assistance incident, I received a letter saying that I owe Avis $160 ($135 for the towing cost, + $25 for administrative cost) plus the cost to repair the damaged tire. The tire was already damaged when I picked up the car -- I could not have damaged it! An Avis agent told me there would be no charge! Again I called customer service. There was a record of the first roadside call, but mixed in with it were the notes from the second roadside call that I requested hotel reimbursement but Avis refused. Now I'm out: $200 for the airline change fee $151.61 for the 1 night in the hotel $30 for dinner (if Avis hadn't caused me to miss my flight, I would have eaten at home) $160 for the first roadside assist call ??? for the tire repair $160 for the second roadside assist call (I assume, as it hasn't been 3 weeks yet for their letter to reach me) The total before the tire repair already exceeds the cost of the rental! Avis, this is no way to treat a customer, much less a customer who's business you want to retain!

Jon Posey

November 19th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have always had a good experience with Avis. I typically don't have them as my first choice but should consider them more since they are competitive.

Bryna

November 13th, 2019 Kansas City, KS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've never had such bad customer service from a rental company, and I rent A LOT. Starting from the beginning, although the guy running the office was extremely nice, it was very disorganized. The car he tried to put me in had a check engine light. So I was give another car that smelled like an ash tray (I was not warned of this, though all the windows being down in 45° weather should have clued me in), and the car was filthy on ththe outside. I take part of the responsibility for not noticing the giant crack along the bottom of the windshield. I had just gotten off from work from a 12 hour shift, an hour before going in at 830a. I drove straight home (a 5 min drive), parked, and went to sleep. I noticed the crack when I got back in 8 or so hours later. I called the office while they were still supposed to be open and no one answered. My call was automatically sent to customer service who transferred me to a dept that was supposed to know how to amend the damage paperwork. They did not and I was told to go to the office the following morning when they open and "see" if they could take of it. Again, the guy was very helpful (though they never seem to answer their phones) and changed my damage form. Did I mention this car said its oil change was past due everytime I started the car? Moving on to me trying to extend my rental for four more days. I called customer service but only had the email with the reservation confirmation number because my contract is in the car. I asked the guy if there was another way he could look it up. Phone number, email, credit card? He told me he could do it with the car number. I dont process car rentals everyday so I assumed that meant the license plate number. That's not what he meant. It's the number on the keychain, though there are several. And when I finally finished with the extension process I asked for an emailed receipt of the transaction so i could have the price difference on file. I was told, "I cant send you anything but I can repeat it for you." So I have nothing but that jerks word that I'm not going to be charged a ridiculous amount. The gist is, what their customer service lacks in knowledge, they make up for in rudeness. Will definitely be the last time I use Avis. Hertz may be a bit further from me but they have comparable prices, picks you up, has never given me a car with issues, or treated me so rudely.

Tony

November 12th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Rented a car in CA and was surprised to see extra toll charges added to my bill AFTER my final check out.

abby becht

October 25th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Happy with their loyalty program. Easy to get in and out at most airports, and they have clean cars.

Gloribi Pastor

October 23rd, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First time and last time I rent with Avis! I went to the one in Worcester Regional Airport in MA. They "upgraded" my car to a SUV which was a gas guzzler. I expressed that I will be driving 2 hours everyday and I needed something more fuel economical, which is why I initially DID NOT reserve for an SUV. I expressed it will be difficult to go back to the airport location, where I initially picked up the car because they close at 6pm. Due to school and work scheduled I will not be able to get there on time. They stated I can go to any Avis location to exchange the car. The next day (Sunday) I get in the car and turn on the heat and it reeks like cigarette smoke. I called on Monday to exchange the car and no car was available near my work location. I called Tuesday and I get the same story. I am told I cant return the car and get the differential and I get an "Im sorry you, could try tomorrow again". I pick up my kids from school and we have to drive with the windows down due to the smell and I have to put $60 in gas every 2 -3 day. This company is garbage.

Blake Cederberg

October 15th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently traveled to Vermont with a valid Avis reservation. But . . . because I am 24 yrs old, Avis would not accept my reservation with my debit card. Now, I'm in Burlington - 40 miles from my hotel with no car. No one I know will ever rent from Avis again - and they could care less. Awful company, awful people.

Rick

October 15th, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Use Avis for business travel. The cars were clean and run well. Seemed to be low mileage cars, too. Great coverage at the major airports.

Shawn

October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT

My family has always had a nice experience renting through Avis. Nice cars, friendly staff. Easy shuttle

Rischelle Mikkelson

October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Avis car rental has good prices, clean cars, and kind agents. I like that Avis doesn't try to press you to buy all the "extras".

Don Boren

October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good cars and good service. The people at the counter upon pick up are nice and courteous and helpful. Car was clean and had no mechanical issues.

Amy Boren

October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy to pick up they had a bunch of check in people so it went smoothly. The car was adequate for a rental with a few scratches but it was clean and smelled good. The car ran great and we returned it easily.

Ted Johnson

October 1st, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have never been disappointed using Avis car rental. They are dependable and have the car ready for me so that I don't have to waste time waiting. The cars are nice and I can choose the best one for the situation. The price is always good and affordable and they are also easy to return to.

Alyssa Boren

September 23rd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The cars are in great shape, they look very clean and organized after every use. I always get what we paid for. The customer service is great too. The employees are very helpful and kind.

Joseph Michael

September 13th, 2019 Westbury, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Went to Florida in beginning of August with my Dad. Well we rented from Avis and the problem is: when I returned the car the guy immediately took the car and brought it somewhere. I guess to clean and rent it again. I realized that my key for condo was still in car. I called and they found the key weeks later. Funny because the key was attached to the car keychain. Well now they want to charge me $30 to FedEx it to me (and that's NOT overnight. But I have to pay......I FedEx things over night to Florida and it's only $15-$20 depending on morning or afternoon delivery. That's Ridiculous!! They're making money on this? They I'm sure have a corporate account and use it frequently so they even get better pricing! I said it's only ONE KEY can't you send via post office and I'll pay $4/$5 for shipping. I can make a new key for $$3.00 Avis is just a Rip Off. Never again will I use them!!! #avis #aviscarrental #neveragain #ripoff #avisripoff #avisrental #aviscar #avisdisappointmemt

shlomo flohr

August 29th, 2019 Brooklyn, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

i rented from avis for 2 months, after the 2 months was over, i extended it for another 2 months. the avis rep on the phone told me its going to take about a week for the extension to go in the system, but the car needed a oil change, so she told me to go to any avis location to swap cars, but i was concerned that since the the extension was not in system it will be a problem. so the avis rep told me its not a problem. so i went to avis jfk to swap cars, they toke my car and told me my rental is over due, so i cant get it back, and they didn't wanna give me a new car. so i was stuck in jfk without a car. so think twice befor you rent with avis

Rippley

August 28th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I took a rental car with Autopass included from Oslo airport, used Avis/Budget badged subcontractor located there who assured me the Autopass etag was working, nothing more for me to do or pay, before I drove away - contrary to what the Avis rental contract states! The Autopass etag proved to be a dud; suspected when passing through road toll points, then proved when ferry onboarders tried their handheld scanners to no avail. When I was eventually overcharged I put the message through to Avis/Budget customer service, they went silent, then I went to Norway Innovation (Govt agent) they pointed me at the Ministry... no response. Cannot use Norwegian Consumer Council because you need to be a Norwegian resident with a national ID to do that. The Norwegian Govt behaves as though it cannot manage Norwegian businesses that behave fraudulently, so sad, too bad, won't be back. Certainly would never recommend Avis/Budget at Oslo Airport as a rental car source.

Jake

August 20th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

One of the worst experiences with a company. I ended up being charged double after all those fees were in place making the discount code I used worthless. They rented me a car with an expired plate. When I brought it to their attention they said it’s okay we would have paid for your ticket as if that made it better. They then said they would not put the new tag on until the car returned to where the expired car came from. I was in NY it came from SC. Customer service told me that I could pay in person with a specific card so that I could use a tax exemption. Upon arrival the way I was told to pay on the phone a couple weeks before was no longer acceptable to them. Next time I will for sure use another company even if it’s more expensive. This company is so bad it’s literally the first review I’ve ever written for any company.

Brandy

August 11th, 2019 Murphy, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am thankful to be alive after renting from Avis. My two small children and I were stranded in Panama City Beach Florida after our car broke down. We made it 20 minutes from our drop off location and the car completely dies. I am in the center of I75 North and it DIES! The car looses speed, the battery light comes on, then all other lights on the panel light up. With tractor trailer trucks behind me and surround by cars going 70 MPH, my life along with my two small children lives flashed before my eyes. I managed to roll to the side of the road by the grace of GOD without being killed. After several tries got the car to start again. The check engine light stays on. I looked up the closest drop off which was about 1 mile away. I took the next exit, got gas and slowly made it to the closest Avis. I told Anthony, at the Windy Hill Marietta location everything that had happened while still in tears and very shaken up. Anthony then just made a comment about how many miles I had put on the car and had to go and look at the mileage before he confirmed that we could leave the vehicle there. When Anthony returned I asked if he saw the check engine light. Anthony told me that he only looked at the mileage and nothing else. Anthony did wave the $20 fee for dropping it off at his location rather than the initial drop off location. I have called Avis corporate office and spoke to Eric who told me that my situation was not typical and then completely brushed me off. I then got the number to the Marietta drop off location and spoke to Anthony again. Anthony informed me that Pep Boys checked the car, even though it was new and no lights were on, and it diagnostically checked out fine...then admitted the check engine light was on, which was from me not closing the gas cap tight enough??? My fear is for someone else to get in the silver Mazda CX5 and being hurt if not killed like we almost were. I know that if I owned a car rental company and I had someone explain this situation to me I would try to accommodate them in some way for the horrible experience. I would most certainly not blow them off and be rude.

Aruba

July 30th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst company to deal with. They are not helpful at all. I rented the car three 3 months prior, and they are still processing charges on my credit card. Very very disappointed. Stay away from them.

Dana

July 1st, 2019 Temecula, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I do not rent cars very often but when I do it is always Avis. (It helps that they offer members of my union a discount). The staff is always professional. The process to pick up and drop off the cars is quick and easy.