Avis Logo

6.8

Avis was founded by Warren Avis in 1946 at Willow Run Airport in Detroit with an $85,000 investment. Shortly after, Avis opened a location at the Miami International Airport. After years of varying acquisitions and mergers, the car rental company has expanded to Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia. They have also launched an Avis car rental app.

Keep reading our Avis review to learn more about the pros and cons of renting a car from Avis or skip to the Avis car rental reviews.

Hertz Logo
#2 Hertz chevron_right
4.0
Sixt Rent A Car Logo
#3 Sixt Rent A Car chevron_right
1.3

The Good

• Rental Car Variety
  • Luxury Price Range
  • 50 States Available
  • Airport Locations
  • Instant Return
  • Toll Prepay Option
  • Loyalty Program

Economy Price Range

Avis offers low to average prices for their car rentals. Avis also has a wide variety of vehicles. They have moving vans, which are not always available at other rental companies, as well as pickups, which may be even less common. While these are not available at every Avis location, they can be found at several locations. This offers renters a wider range of vehicles to choose from than the average rental car company. With several models to choose from, you are likely to find a rental that fits your budget.

Avis also uses many environmentally-friendly vehicles in its fleet. Most of its smaller vehicles are SmartWay certified and do minimal harm to the environment. All of their vehicles are 100 percent smoke-free in the U.S. and Canada, so smokers who want to smoke in their rental car will have to try another company.

Luxury Price Range

If you're looking to rent a luxury car, Avis offers low to average prices in the car rental industry. Many popular rental car brands out there do not offer luxury rentals, making Avis more advantageous to luxury car renters. Although there are a few companies that offer lower rates, Avis' daily rates are pretty average for luxury cars in the industry.

Avis also has a special series of vehicles called "Signature Series" cars, which provide renters with a more exotic, luxurious experience. In this collection of cars, renters can choose from Mercedes, BMWs, Maseratis, Corvettes, or a variety of other exciting vehicles.

50 States Available

Avis stands far above the competition with locations in all 50 states. Most companies have locations in an average of 23 states. Knowing there is an Avis in your destination airport or city makes formulating travel plans in advance much easier.

Airport Locations

With rental counters at most major airports throughout the United States and North America, Avis is much more accessible to travelers than its competitors. If you need a car rental from an airport location, an Avis location most likely will be there once you check out your luggage.

Instant Return

Avis has streamlined the rental return process so that renters can return their vehicles in as little as one minute using a kiosk instead of using the Avis counter. This reduces stress for busy travelers and ensures that renters trying to catch a flight won't be caught arriving late because of their rental returns.

Toll Prepay Option

Avis offers a toll prepay option called e-Toll, an electronic toll collection program that makes road travel more convenient. Avis e-Toll cannot be reserved in advance, but it is already conveniently installed in many cars, so it doesn't need to be ordered through their website. When you're making an online reservation, it allows you to check the box if you want to include this as an add-on service when paying for your reservation online.

The thing to know about e-Toll is that you are automatically enrolled in the service if you choose to not pay cash for tolls. This has led to customer issues. Those who were not aware of this found additional charges to their credit/debit card later on. Under the e-Toll program, once you pass through an electronic toll, you will pay a convenience fee of $3.95 for each day of the entire rental period, including any days on which e-Toll is not used, up to a maximum of $19.75 per rental month.

Loyalty Program

Avis Preferred is a revenue-based loyalty program. The rewards program is free to join and offers points for the money you spend with Avis. As an Avis Preferred Member, you can redeem points to rent a car or purchase accessories and upgrades for your rentals.

The Bad

• Strict Cancellation Policy
  • Roadside Assistance Expenses
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount
  • No Online Check-In

Strict Cancellation Policy

Avis charges $25 if you cancel within six hours before the rental period. After six hours, the cancellation fee increases to a no-show fee of $100, but the rest of the rental is refunded. The refund makes this a slightly better policy than some rental companies which will charge late cancellation fees for as much as 24 hours before the rental period with no refund. However, many companies have less strict cancellation policies and often do not require a cancellation fee.

Roadside Assistance Expenses

In case your rental vehicle has problems, Avis offers extended roadside assistance for $7.49 per day. This is slightly higher than the typical rental company who charges an average of $5-6 per day, but it is a good safety measure to take nonetheless.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

Avis offers several fuel plans, but on-site fuel discounts are not advertised. Avis car rental customers are either expected to bring the car back with a full tank or choose between fueling payment plan options.

No Online Check-In

Although Avis's return process is streamlined, their check-in process is not. This would not typically be a notable disadvantage, since in-person check-in is standard in the car rental industry. However, being a global brand that has been in business for over 70 years, one would think they would have innovated a feature allowing customers to check-in from the website instead of the rental counter.

While returning an Avis rental can be very quick, many customers report that they had to stand in very long lines when picking up their vehicle. Some stood in line for a couple of hours at certain locations and noted that the employees at the counter seemed to lack a sense of urgency.

When they arrived at the counter, employees tried to sell them insurance and upgrades, taking even longer. For travelers getting off of a long flight, hurrying to a meeting, or anxious to begin their vacation, this kind of wait is not desirable.

The Bottom Line

Avis is a big rental company and a recognized brand name with a lot of options, and it is available almost anywhere you travel. While Avis has the advantage of offering perks for loyal customers, they do have some issues such as their strict cancellation policies and some negative customer feedback. If you're a smoker, Avis is not the option for you, since all cars are 100 percent smoke-free. If you're a local resident, Avis is a prime option due to the company's non-airport locations. And if renting environment-friendly cars is important to you, Avis also offers cars that fit that criteria. We recommend considering Avis as an option when searching for a car rental company.

3.1

Patrick Kingsport, TN

Rented a car drove 2 hours to Wilkes-Barre, PA and got a flat tire. I looked for a spare but it had been removed. This should be checked by AVIS prior to rentals as a safety precaution. At 7:30pm is when the flat occurred, it took 7 calls to get through a busy tone with AVIS's 1800 number but once I got through they sent a ticket from AVIS to roadside service for a 2-way tow. The vehicle to replace mine was in Newark, NJ (196 miles away). The 2-way tow would take 4 to 6 hours amd would start at 8:30pm (so expected at 12:30 - 2:30am). At 10pm I called Roadside to get a quick update (on hold for 40 minutes) and they answered and let me know they had not started on my ticket. It would now be 5 to 7 hours from 10:45pm. I had a flight the next morning 2 hours away so this was no longer going to work. Note I was in an abandoned parking lot with moderate to high crime. I asked if we could change the tow from 2 way to a 1 way tow and take a Lyft to Philadelphia to make my flight. The AVIS representative (Corey) told me to take my keys with me so the car doesn't get stolen she stated that I could drop them off at any AVIS in the 48 states. I then took a ride to Philadelphia for $200. I arrived at the hotel at 2am and I had a text stating that a tow truck would be arriving around 300 minutes (5 hours ...). I would have missed my flight. The next day I landed in Atlanta (lay over on my way to Albuquerque) and I got a call from the towing company saying they were at the car but needed the keys, I told them that that wasn't going to happen and they hung up. I called AVIS on Friday (3 days after the flat tire) and asked if the car was picked up and they said no. I asked to talk to a manager and they said they would call me in 48 hours.... (AVIS is nothing but unhelpful and slow). They did not call me at all so I called them the following Friday and got a hold of a manager (Jack... by the way just as useless) and he said I can't do anything for you until the contract is closed... which will take 3 to 5 days. I will have to call next Friday to follow up and AVIS refuses to call me back after the contract is closed but is now my responsibility to keep calling till it gets closed.

Kurt Lucas Olney, MD

I use Avis to rent a large vehicle when out of town. They offer a wide array of vehicles to choose from. They have multiple locations to use as well.

Nell Damascus, MD

Great job providing reliable rental cars in a timely manner. Good clear communication about their services

MikeS Toronto, ON

I’ve rented from Avis both foreign and domestically and they have always been well priced and reliable.

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

Definitely one of the cheaper rental places with the same quality service! My family always checks Avis first.

Joe M Colorado Springs, CO

I rented from AVIS last weekend and received a car with mechanical issues, safety issues and then when I called for assistance, I was charged additional fees for the roadside assistance. I had paid for an ungraded convertible in Florida, the cars rear brake lights never went out even when just idling in park making it a safety concern, the engine had to be feathered to continue to maintain any speed, the cruise control did not work because of this, and then I needed a jump start as the constant brake lights being on all night killed the battery and I was charged for them to send someone out to jump start the car...Don't ever use them as the only response I got was an apology saying "We are sorry you had a bad experience". No offer to refund anything or make things right with an added $220 charge for the jump start...

Jordon Patton Pflugerville, TX

I'm a loyal Avis preferred customer. They always have my car ready for me to pick up whenever I arrive. They have been very pleasant to work with and always have what I'm looking for at great rates.

Ashley Johnson Las Vegas, NV

Affordable car rentals. Easy online booking. Not as large of a variety of vehicles as other services.

Greg Francis Saratoga Springs, UT

Use Avis for all my car rental needs for both corporate and personal travel. having an Avis preferred number makes the process seamless. Prices are competitive, such that shopping around if not something I need to do anymore!

Van M. Orem, UT

I had a really nice car, no glitches besides checking back in took longer than usual. I remember that the cost was good as well. Solid company if you are needing a rental car.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

Avis used to be my go to car rental company. I had a Avis frequent customer account. I stopped using them when I started comparing rental prices on mass car rental sites. I now always compare for the best deal. I found their cars to be in good condition and quality.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

I like the pricing of Avis but the one time I rented from there it took forever to get my car because it was not quite ready when I arrived.

Landon Badoni Montgomery, TX

Avis is a rental company I'll occasionally use if other options are low on stock. They've always been a good option and have good customer service.

Julie Love Sherman Jackson, MI

I made an online reservation for a car rental as part of my trip over the holidays. I paid for the rental in full at the time of my reservation. However, when I tried to pick up my car rental, the Avis customer service representative would not let me rent the car, though I had proof of my reservation. She claimed that Avis wouldn't allow me to use a debit card though I provided her with a debit card that can be run as credit. Furthermore, Avis' own rental terms and conditions state that a debit card may be used. After my trip, I spent weeks getting the run-around from Avis customer service as I tried to get a refund. I still have not received a refund for this service that I already paid for. My entire experience with this company was less than professional.

Ryan Grant Winder, GA

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!! - Be careful before you book and read the fine print. If you have to cancel even if just a few minutes later you will be stuck paying a $50 charge, no exceptions. Only company to do this. -They are the only company out there that caps your mileage then charges you $.25 every mile over. Everyone else has unlimited mileage for the same price. Rip off! - You think you're getting a deal at first, then you realize they add charges the others don't and you end up paying more for much less than what others are offering.

Brandon Wilson Decatur, GA

BEWARE!!! I rented a vehicle from this location for five days in July to travel up north. I paid for a Volkswagen Jetta or similar mid sized car and instead was given an 8 cylinder minivan. When I picked up the vehicle it was full of dog hair, vomit, and dog food. I switched the car out at a different Avis and again did not receive the vehicle I paid for. It is noteworthy that this car also had not been cleaned even during the height of a global pandemic. My elderly mother has flea bites from the first vehicle and to top it all off they charged me for an extra day though I returned this piece of junk well within the time limits. I contacted customer service (which took DAYS to achieve) and was given no refund and a cursory letter of apology. If you would like to literally leave your life and well being in the hands of an abhorrent company, then I highly recommend. I have contacted the health department and am in the process of filing a lawsuit against the company. So for $500 I am left with hospital bills for my mother and am understandably furious. Go somewhere else to rent a car- trust me.

Heather Murphy Land O' Lakes, FL

I picked up and dropped off my rental at the Tampa Florida airport. The only reason I'm giving 2 stars is because the process of making a reservation and paying ahead for your rental online was very easy as well has the process when I arrived at the airport. I walked up to the desk let them know I reserved and paid for a rental online. He asked me if I wanted to pay for tolls ahead of time or pay a refueling fee in which I decline because I knew the route I was taking from Florida to Indiana I would not cross any tolls and I always bring cars back with a full tank of gas. I then paid my $250 deposit, he printed my rental agreement I signed and off I went to the parking garage to get the car. Easy right?! Now, let me add that this is the first time I've rented from Avis but not the first time I've rented a care. In fact I've been renting cars for many years through Enterprise, they have the same process that I spoke of above but Avis had a slightly lower deposit so I decided to try them out. I'm mentioning this to point out that I've signed many rental agreements in my time for renting a car. They are all pretty basic and I've never had any issues with getting my entire deposit or anything else for that matter. It's pretty straight forward. This is not the case with Avis! I should have read every detail of that rental agreement and I encourage ANYONE renting from them to do the same. I returned the car on a Wednesday at 3:00 pm with a full tank of gas just like I agreed to. The gentleman that checked the car let me know that the deposit should be released back to me with in 24 hours but that it depends on my bank when it will actually be back in my account, which I already knew but I thanked him and off I went. Now fast forward a couple of days. I noticed that something wasn't quite right with my bank account in regards to the deposit and fees. I noticed that some money was put back in my account but that there was now 2 separate fees from Avis, one for $46.85 and one for $90.56. I instantly started trying to get ahold of someone to find out what happened and kept getting a recording saying they were closed and to call back during normal business hours but I was calling during normal business hours according to the recording. I continued to try this for 2 days, then decided to try and reach out to someone in customer service via email. I wrote any email explaining everything in which someone responded with an apology and explained to me that they forgot to charge me a refueling fee so that was the 90.56 and the 46.85 was loss damage waiver insurance. They also said if I still disagree to send supporting documents. I emailed back stating that I declined any extra insurance and refueling and returned the vehicle with a full tank. The next day I get a response back that again started with an apology and the said it wasn't a refueling fee and that the $137.41 was Loss Damage Waiver insurance. If that's the case why was that broke up into 2 separate charges? I then sent them a copy of the online reservation showing that I declined and receipt showing how much I paid ahead of time (which only doesn't include the deposit that I paid when I picked up the car). I told them that I understand that I signed the rental agreement so therefore legally I am now responsible for those fees but I asked if they would please refund that money since I sent proof that I declined. They replied, "Unfortunately we are unable to remove the loss damage waiver insurance. you had the option to accept or decline additional coverage. The renter (me) authorized additional coverage and that decision is noted on the rental agreement when the customer signs for the coverage. We have checked our records carefully and find that the additional coverage option was offered to you, and you indeed signed the agreement". So what this company is doing is hoping that people like me will trust them and just sign and initial and keep it moving. Because once I signed my name they knew they have my deposit or most of it. In addition to these fees today a charge of $17.55 was taken out of my account from Avis and a receipt was sent to my email for toll charges. I ended up going through one toll ($2.41) by the Tampa airport in order to get the car back at 3:00 pm and not be charged for an additional day. So Avis turned this small fee that I was more than willing to pay, in fact I thought because the car was rented in my name that I was just get my normal toll bill in the mail, into a $17.55 charge on my account. I will never use them again and hope someone else reads this either doesn't bother using them either or reads every inch of that rental agreement. Again I understand that my signature proves guilt but at the end of the day right is right and wrong is wrong and they know what they did to me is wrong because I showed them proof.

David Anderson Providence, UT

I have been renting from Avis for my entire career. I travel to Denver often and Avis has a ton of busses and is always there with very little wait time. At Denver, the Avis location is the closest to the airport and is very easy to get to from the road. The employees are always very helpful and give me free upgrades often. I highly recommend Avis to all my coworkers and friends.

Raquel San Jose, CA

I use Avis for all personal and business trips. The employees are always great to talk to and knowledgeable. There was one time that I flew in and they didnt have the car I needed on hand - they not only found the car I had reserved but had it up to me in about 30 minutes. They turned what could have been a large problem (I had a lot of luggage and needed a large SUV) into a success story. Thank you for being reliable.

Tiffiny F New York, NY

My rental was for an insurance claim. Normally I go through Enterprise, but wasn't able to get something quick enough. The woman I spoke with at Avis got me something very quickly. The day I picked up the rental the guy acted like I was bothering him. He had me initial a few things, sign and boom was on my way. I thought this was strange as at Enterprise they explain everything to you and go out to look at the vehicle with you to ensure there are no problems. Knowing the rental policies with Enterprise I didn't ask any questions. I return the vehicle yesterday with 0 problems. Today i look at my bank account to find a charge from Avis. I call and get the guy that did the agreement the day I picked up. He tells me that the woman had upgraded me to a truck at an SUV rate. I had mentioned I drove a truck and wanted a bigger vehicle, so her thought on that was appreciated. The problem is, I was never told that the upgrade would put me at my limit for my insurance coverage and that I was going to be stuck with the sales tax, $135. Had anyone at any point in time explained this to me I would've said no, find me something cheaper as I did not have the extra money to be covering this. Yhe guy then proceeds to tell me "well maybe you should ask questions." How am I going to ask questions on something I never knew about? I call the corporate office and get told they won't do anything. I filed a complaint so that hopefully these people will learn how to do their jobs properly and someone in the future doesnt get screwed the way I did. Thank you Avis, now I'm out my grocery shopping money for my children and you taught me a valuable lesson. Never go through Avis and steer everyone you know to stay away from you.

Jessica Buffalo, NY

I rented a truck on 9/30/20, it didn’t have a seatbelt in the back. I exchanged it an hour later for another truck at a different location. It was an inconvenience to say the least. I realized this morning that the vehicle registration is expired. I called Avis to help me out, I spent over 2 hours on the phone and was in angry tears by the end because not one person would help me. Horrible customer service and I want all future customers to be aware that if you have a problem you will not be able to reach someone to help you.

Patrick Curry Salt Lake City, UT

Love the service and the points that we can earn each time we use this service. We use this for our work trips and I even use them for personal trips. Great A+ service

Eric Wilkinson Herriman, UT

My brothers and I like to gamble together on occasion. We rented a sports car through Avis and headed to Wendover. Avis had good pricing and the car was clean.

Dave_ Layton, UT

Good service and lots of locations make it a good choice when traveling. Rewards program is alright but you may need to keep in mind that some locations are franchises and don’t participate.

Dayna Salt Lake City, UT

We have had several great experiences with Avis. Our cars are always clean and ready to go and customer service has been great.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

Last winter we got an Avis car rental at the airport. It was very easy to rent the car. We got the car we needed to accommodate our big group and at a good price. The car was clean and smelled good. It was an easy return process as well.

Danielle LeCheminant Lehi, UT

Our car rental was easy to pick up and return and was good quality for the price.

ashley mann Silver Spring, MD

DEPLORABLE SERVICE. Car breaks down so I demanded an upgrade free of charge and they charge me for their negligence and poor maintenance of their vehicles.

J Larson Safety Harbor, FL

BEWARE. Rented a four door Jeep Wangler i Albuquerque NM. Discover after a flat tire on state gravel that all tires, including spare were inflated to 54 psi. Side wall of tire indicated 44 psi max and Jeep recommended inflation pressure was. 36 psi for all tires. I am sure this led to the rock puncture of the front tire. The day of the return to AVIS car would not start resulting in a $218.00 jump start charge. Auto was 2 miles from return center. AVIS refuses to drop the road assistant charge. The bottom line is unsafe vehicle, unreasonable charges and the true rental cost does not reflect the fact that to be safe $7.50/day more for the cost of roadside assistance needs to be added to the daily charge. Last time I will use AVIS and definitely do not recommend them.

Michael Sweet Astoria, NY

Really, REALLY, bad experience with Avis, generally speaking. However, their Covid19 response was the worst. Because I canceled my reservation through the app and did not call them (they were not answering for hours at a time) I had to pay the full cancelation fee. This is because I did not wait until closer to the date (by 6 days). The customer service manager (note, manager) that I spoke with lectured me for 3 minutes, without allowing me to speak, from a script and then told me that it was my fault that I was being charged the fee. Where is the compassion for customers who didn't receive this "information" on how to call them and do things properly? Where is the compassion for customers who are canceling their trip because of Covid19 and have no options? You know the $50 fee is not really a big deal for me financially, but for many out there right now that is a trip to the grocery store! This is a nasty corporate money grab and also money poorly spent, as I will never do business with them again (after 23 years of business with them). What I will do, however, is spread the story of how I was treated. How this company responded in the greatest public health crisis of their time! Avis should be ashamed.

Steve Jones Riverton, UT

Avis is so great to work with. During a recent business trip, I was left stranded with no vehicle due to a mixup with a different rental agency. The representatives at Avis were so helpful and quick to get me into a vehicle and on the road. Highly recommend using Avis when traveling!

Judy Marks Elkton, MD

My husband is an 82 year old equine vetinarian who was traveling to Wellington Fl for the horse show. He has COPD. The CDC advised anyone over 80 years old to avoid flying. When I called to cancel the car I was informed that there would be a $50 cancellation fee in spite of the fact that the US is experiencing a pandemic and the cancellation was 3 days before the scheduled pickup date. This is price gouging! We have been members of Avis for over 30 years but will never use Avis again and will suggest to our friends to do likewise.

Msindoni Pembroke Pines, FL

Avis is my go to car rental provider. They offer services everywhere I have traveled. They have plenty of vehicle options at a great rate, plus they offer discounts if you belong to various organizations.

jkenny90 Houston, TX

I frequently use Avis to rent cars for business travel and have never had any issues with either the cars or the rental process. Getting off the airplane and into my rental car to on the road is always seamless and efficient.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

I love using Avis rental car because they always have the car ready and prepped for my pick up. I have always been impressed with the quick check out. I do like the discounts for this agency. I highly recommend this rental agency.

Mykahla Nelson Managua, MN

I used this company when we went to Minnesota! We got off the plane and was able to locate the car and get on my way.

Nicholas Genes Los Angeles, CA

I’ve had to go with Avis when the other rental companies were out of stock. they don’t have anything that really stands out except that they came through when everyone else had nothing. Worth comparing with other large companies

Laura Baird Charlotte, NC

Would love to be able to take stars away from this company. Skip the online reservation and the laughable confirmation number. Even though it's 2020, this company lacks the ability to determine whether a site will have the car class you have reserved. The online process of picking a location, time and vehicle are a complete waste of time. You will be offered sonething else for a higher price or you will get the option of sitting around until someone brings in the type of car you "reserved". Everyone is apologetic, but this is common practice at Avis, apparently. Do yourself a favor and check out Turo instead.

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

Avis was a great company to use while needing transportation. The cars are clean and there are many options.

amy rex ,

I use Avis often and never have had an issue. Cars are clean and in good working order.

Baby Boomer Couch Potato Palisades Park, NJ

I am (was) an Avis Preferred customer and have rented from Avis quite a bit in the past, never with great results, so I never expect much. I often fly into West Palm Beach airport as was the case Feb 5, 2020. As usual, the car in my reserved spot, was not mine and it took quite a while to straighten that out, no thanks to the rude employee at the counter. But it went downhill from there. Near the end of my visit, my car had a starter issue and I almost got stuck. Unlike Enterprise which has come to my rescue in the past with a car that had an issue, Avis wasn't really interested. Eventually, I had to drive the problematic car forty minutes to the airport, was made to feel like I was wrong to be upset, wait outside in the heat for an additional twenty minutes for another car and drive forty minutes back to my wheelchair bound mother to try to make appointments that were delayed. When I requested some refund from Avis, I was told "too bad". How's that for customer service. I strongly recommend that you do not rent from Avis, and I know I never will again.

Jenna Bagley American Fork, UT

On more than one occasion I've made a reservation with Avis and then shown up at the airport only to find that they had lost my reservation somehow. Super annoying and I will not use them again if I can help it.

Bryndie Managua, MN

Decent rental car company. The staff was nice enough, just not overly helpful. It was fairly priced but I think there are prices that are more worth your money.

Amanda Montebello, CA

When I went on vacation with friends, we rented a car from Avis and had an awesome experience. We used a shuttle to get to the company from the airport and the car was already ready.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Avis is my go-to car rental agency. I love the upgrades, low prices, and cool cars. Everything I have ever rented from Avis has been newer, super clean, and well maintained. Reservations and checkout are so easy and hassle free. And they have a million locations for easy returns. They are simply the best!

Reckholdt Draper, UT

We got a great deal on a rental from Avis. I was concerned cause I feel like you get what you pay for and we got such a great deal I thought we would get a crap car. But we didn’t, it was clean and nice! It was a great!

Corbett Douglas Cedar Fort, UT

This is the company I use the most when traveling. They are inexpensive and service has always been reliable.

Sasha Torman Syracuse, NY

I have rented with Avis many times when travelling for work, and nearly every experience in a variety of cities has been miserable. First off, many cars are filthy and not cleaned at all. Seats stained, nasty stuff collecting in cupholders etc. Recently I had to return one of my cars because it had an unbalanced wheel. I spent hours trying to call every phone number imaginable, and people either hung up on me or couldn't understand English well enough to help. Every time I have to deal with the rental agent, they seem to know very little and are never helpful. The worst offense is that recently they sneaked in a "Select and Go" upgrade which added almost $400 to a 6 day rental, nearly doubling the cost. The rental agent assured me that this "upgrade" was just the normal daily rate so like an idiot I listened to him and accepted, since the rate shown was about what I expected for the daily rate. I did not understand that this was in fact added to the existing daily rate. Now they refuse to refund me, claiming that I chose this upgrade, despite the fact that they literally had to explain to me what the upgrade was when explaining to me how I chose it. Save your money, your time, and your sanity and rent with literally anybody else.

Bill Nelson Ogden, UT

Use them anytime I travel. Good selection great rate, and always willing to work out any issues.

PessoaJ Herriman, UT

Have always had a positive experience with Avis. We even got an upgrade on our last trip for free. Would rent from them again.