Avis Logo

6.8

LAST UPDATED: December 2nd, 2021

Avis was founded by Warren Avis in 1946 at Willow Run Airport in Detroit with an $85,000 investment. Shortly after, Avis opened a location at the Miami International Airport. After years of varying acquisitions and mergers, the car rental company has expanded to Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia. They have also launched an Avis car rental app.

Keep reading our Avis review to learn more about the pros and cons of renting a car from Avis or skip to the Avis car rental reviews.

Hertz Logo
#2 Hertz chevron_right
4.0
Sixt Rent A Car Logo
#3 Sixt Rent A Car chevron_right
1.4
star star_half star_border star_border star_border

The Good

• Rental Car Variety
  • Luxury Price Range
  • 50 States Available
  • Airport Locations
  • Instant Return
  • Toll Prepay Option
  • Loyalty Program

Economy Price Range

Avis offers low to average prices for their car rentals. Avis also has a wide variety of vehicles. They have moving vans, which are not always available at other rental companies, as well as pickups, which may be even less common. While these are not available at every Avis location, they can be found at several locations. This offers renters a wider range of vehicles to choose from than the average rental car company. With several models to choose from, you are likely to find a rental that fits your budget.

Avis also uses many environmentally-friendly vehicles in its fleet. Most of its smaller vehicles are SmartWay certified and do minimal harm to the environment. All of their vehicles are 100 percent smoke-free in the U.S. and Canada, so smokers who want to smoke in their rental car will have to try another company.

Luxury Price Range

If you're looking to rent a luxury car, Avis offers low to average prices in the car rental industry. Many popular rental car brands out there do not offer luxury rentals, making Avis more advantageous to luxury car renters. Although there are a few companies that offer lower rates, Avis' daily rates are pretty average for luxury cars in the industry.

Avis also has a special series of vehicles called "Signature Series" cars, which provide renters with a more exotic, luxurious experience. In this collection of cars, renters can choose from Mercedes, BMWs, Maseratis, Corvettes, or a variety of other exciting vehicles.

50 States Available

Avis stands far above the competition with locations in all 50 states. Most companies have locations in an average of 23 states. Knowing there is an Avis in your destination airport or city makes formulating travel plans in advance much easier.

Airport Locations

With rental counters at most major airports throughout the United States and North America, Avis is much more accessible to travelers than its competitors. If you need a car rental from an airport location, an Avis location most likely will be there once you check out your luggage.

Instant Return

Avis has streamlined the rental return process so that renters can return their vehicles in as little as one minute using a kiosk instead of using the Avis counter. This reduces stress for busy travelers and ensures that renters trying to catch a flight won't be caught arriving late because of their rental returns.

Toll Prepay Option

Avis offers a toll prepay option called e-Toll, an electronic toll collection program that makes road travel more convenient. Avis e-Toll cannot be reserved in advance, but it is already conveniently installed in many cars, so it doesn't need to be ordered through their website. When you're making an online reservation, it allows you to check the box if you want to include this as an add-on service when paying for your reservation online.

The thing to know about e-Toll is that you are automatically enrolled in the service if you choose to not pay cash for tolls. This has led to customer issues. Those who were not aware of this found additional charges to their credit/debit card later on. Under the e-Toll program, once you pass through an electronic toll, you will pay a convenience fee of $3.95 for each day of the entire rental period, including any days on which e-Toll is not used, up to a maximum of $19.75 per rental month.

Loyalty Program

Avis Preferred is a revenue-based loyalty program. The rewards program is free to join and offers points for the money you spend with Avis. As an Avis Preferred Member, you can redeem points to rent a car or purchase accessories and upgrades for your rentals.

The Bad

• Strict Cancellation Policy
  • Roadside Assistance Expenses
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount
  • No Online Check-In

Strict Cancellation Policy

Avis charges $25 if you cancel within six hours before the rental period. After six hours, the cancellation fee increases to a no-show fee of $100, but the rest of the rental is refunded. The refund makes this a slightly better policy than some rental companies which will charge late cancellation fees for as much as 24 hours before the rental period with no refund. However, many companies have less strict cancellation policies and often do not require a cancellation fee.

Roadside Assistance Expenses

In case your rental vehicle has problems, Avis offers extended roadside assistance for $7.49 per day. This is slightly higher than the typical rental company who charges an average of $5-6 per day, but it is a good safety measure to take nonetheless.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

Avis offers several fuel plans, but on-site fuel discounts are not advertised. Avis car rental customers are either expected to bring the car back with a full tank or choose between fueling payment plan options.

No Online Check-In

Although Avis's return process is streamlined, their check-in process is not. This would not typically be a notable disadvantage, since in-person check-in is standard in the car rental industry. However, being a global brand that has been in business for over 70 years, one would think they would have innovated a feature allowing customers to check-in from the website instead of the rental counter.

While returning an Avis rental can be very quick, many customers report that they had to stand in very long lines when picking up their vehicle. Some stood in line for a couple of hours at certain locations and noted that the employees at the counter seemed to lack a sense of urgency.

When they arrived at the counter, employees tried to sell them insurance and upgrades, taking even longer. For travelers getting off of a long flight, hurrying to a meeting, or anxious to begin their vacation, this kind of wait is not desirable.

The Bottom Line

Avis is a big rental company and a recognized brand name with a lot of options, and it is available almost anywhere you travel. While Avis has the advantage of offering perks for loyal customers, they do have some issues such as their strict cancellation policies and some negative customer feedback. If you're a smoker, Avis is not the option for you, since all cars are 100 percent smoke-free. If you're a local resident, Avis is a prime option due to the company's non-airport locations. And if renting environment-friendly cars is important to you, Avis also offers cars that fit that criteria. We recommend considering Avis as an option when searching for a car rental company.

2.9

Lysa Barry Oak Park, CA

Was quoted a different lesser price than the price received, totally gouged over Thanksgiving beyond what would be acceptable, $600.00 for 3 days for a KIA! Trying to get someone on the phone was a challenge and this from a major national airport. Never again! If you take advantage of people they will get burned and not return and I have traveled for years and am still in sticker shock.

Joseph L Jones Jr.

I have been renting from the Avis off Alafaya Trl (La Quinta) in Orlando and it continues to be best experience. This is Orlando's best keep secret. Superior customer service, knowledgeable personnel, clean updated cars, & friendly accommodating staff. 5 star ⭐ experience!!! - Joseph J

Sharla Bursey Azle, TX

I rent online ahead of time of my travel. They always have the right kind of vehicle ready for me at the airport. I drive the vehicle for 800 or 1,000 miles on my trips and these vehcles are dependable every time. These vehicles get me into fun and interesting locations as well as out of tight situations in traffic. The GPS systems take me around trouble and get me where I need to go. I am a traveling Solo Sr. Female and I think I can always depend on Avis to put me in a great car for the ride I need. The car is always clean and smelling great when I get in too. Pick up at the airports are quick and easy and drop off is super quick and easy.

Nanette Wells

I had trouble checking in, long lines and few customer service representatives. However, Antonio from the Boston Logan International Airport went above and beyond the call of duty to help me check out. I will continue using Avis just because of him. I am also recommending Avis to friends and family because of Antonio. I am happy to have made your acquaintance Antonio, from Brazil! Thank you for your great customer service. I work for Sound Physicians and travel weekly, so I use Avis often. Thank You. ~ Nanette ~

Steve White Bussum, NH

VERY DIRTY COMPANY!! AVIS BUDGET CHEATED AND SCAMMED ME. I rented a car at Zagreb Croatia Avis for €133 for a week but they sneakily added in several insurances without asking me. They cost an extra €200 which they stole from my credit card. This is an evil untrustworthy company that trains its staff to act nice and friendly while robbing you. They will rob you too.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

This is one of the lesser quality rental places I have used. The building I used was dirty. There was trash laying around the counter area in view of customers and no attendants in the front to wait on me. I waited around about 3 minutes before anyone came to the front to acknowledge my presence. When the sales clerk finally came to the counter, he acted like I was an inconvenience to him and interrupting his day. I certainly didn't feel welcomed. The car I received was fine, however the customer service was so bad, I have not been back to Avis since. Why pay the same prices for crappy customer service when you can get great service practically next door for the same price!

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Not very accessible since there are not a lot of Avis locations. On the other hand, pricing is great and customer service is good.

Lela Grace Atlanta, GA

HORRIBLE !! IF YOU DONT HAVE GOOD CREDIT DONT PRE PAY FOR YOUR CAR RENTAL., I prepaid $800 to rent the car for 7 days. And I get to the location to pick it up they checked my credit and said I couldn't rent the car. Although they had already taken the $800 out of my bank. I then asked what to do about it the guy at the company counter I said I can't help you with that. Call customer service well it's now been 3 weeks and I'm still out $800!!!!!!!!. Funny how my credit was not good enough but my $800 sure was!!! BEWARE PLEASE! I rented the car because my car is in the shop. Now being out an extra $800 it sure would be nice to have that to pay to get my car out and have a car thanks Avis for nothing!!!!!!!!

Janelle Fort Wayne, IN

After a wonderful initial experience with Avis, we are completely disappointed with their customer service and additional fees. We were charged an added fee for insurance we did not ask for. The customer service representative was incredibly rude when we disputed it by phone. Then two weeks later, we received notice that we were charged $450 for a heavy smoke smell. This is impossible. My husband and I are not smokers and have never touched cigarettes or anything like it. The photos they provided as evidence are ludicrous, considering they were taken long after we returned the car. I am not sure what happened between the time the car was returned and inspected as clean, but it seems as though they looked for a way to charge us additional money simply because they could. I am highly disappointed and will not be renting from Avis again.

Morgan Walker Bartlesville, OK

HORRIBLE customer service. Their circular phone tree makes it near-impossible to speak to a human being. I rented from Houston Hobby, and accidentally left my GPS on the seat in the vehicle. After multiple calls to their Lost & Found robots, I filed a claim. Their website shows that Houston Hobby has had no items (none? not one?) found in vehicles in the past 60 days. (A quick check of Houston Bush shows 7 pages of recovered items for the same time period.) After finally getting through to a human, Brian in customer said "you'll need to wait 30-90 days to see if we found anything in your vehicle"... I am suggesting our Fortune 100 company to switch go back to Enterprise.

Heather Olson

Hello. I would like to let to let you know about the issues I experienced with my recent car rental. When we went to pick the car up, I was told that the vehicle I had reserved two months in advance was not available. When I was upset about this and said I had reserved it, I was informed that they don't reserve a specific vehicle and too many people had rented cars. The desk staff were rude about it and would only offer a smaller rental car that wouldn't hold our family. They also informed me that we had brought too much luggage. We finally took the smaller car to get to our lodgings since it was almost 1am, we had been trying to get this taken car of since 11pm. We had to return it the next day since it was too small for all of us. It also had a flat tire. They still could not offer us the vehicle size that I had reserved because they said it was "reserved for another customer". so we had to rent another car through Hertz. At that time they assured me that I would be given a refund for the rental (minus one day's fee for the less than 12 hours that we had the smaller car), but I would have to call the 800 number to receive the refund. I have spent 4 and a half hours on calls to the 800 number, been hung up on 3 times, I have been told that I would not receive the refund then assured that I would be given my refund of $815.42 and that it would be returned to my account within 3 to 5 business days. That was 11 days ago. I called again today and the representative said I just need to be patient and wait a few more days then call back again if I haven't received the refund. At this point I was hung up on again. I would very much like to resolve this. This has been the worst customer service experience I have ever had. Now at this point it has been 24 days. Someone refunded us $561.59 because she said we had already been refunded $250, we had not. So after 24 days and countless hours on the phone and being hung up on and told to wait. Avis still owes us $253.83. They have the worst customer service I have ever encountered. I will never rent from them again and I will tell everyone I know, as will my husband and family, not to rent from them. This was all on a family vacation to Florida for 11 days. We had 6 people in our immediate party and they would only give us a vehicle for 5 even though I rented a vehicle that held 6. HORRIBLE SERVICE, DISHONEST!!!

Kieren

Non-existant customer service, will be using other rental companies like Hertz in future. I visited Lisbon and rented vehicles three times in 2 months. Things at the airport rental desk were fine the first time. The second, the assistant wouldn't accept my credit card, believing that the bank "wasn't a real bank" I eventually spoke to a manager who indicated that the card was accepted. The third trip, they booked a different class car for me, printed the booking and manually changed it before asking me to sign (very unprofessional) The rental amount was taken off my credit card and I downloaded the e-receipt for each for the three trips. Then, after this, suddenly another three charges to my credit card occurred over a 3 week period. I tried to find out what these charges were for but head office (USA) couldn't tell me, they said that they would send a message to the local branch to get back to me, a month later and I haven't heard anything. I tried to contact the local branch and sat on hold for over 20 minutes a number of times but couldn't get through to speak to anybody. I have sent two emails and still haven't heard anything back. All I want to know is what the charges are for and get a receipt.

Alberto Regini Ho Chi Minh City, SG

Horrible experience with AVIS. I will never use them anymore. They charged me for a damage that I signalled to them when I rented the car. Never trust them.

Kibsaim Rebollar Austin, TX

The pick up and drop off was nearly effortless. The attendant was not very friendly or inviting but toward the end he lightened up.

Kate Baker Oceanside, CA

They get one star because I can't give less. I booked a car through Travelocity. When I went to pick up, they had a power outage and were doing everything hand written. The representative couldn't find the car I reserved, so they gave me a more expensive one (I had no idea). Avis charged me $667.65 and refuse to refund me. They want me to dispute the lesser charge with Travelocity. They take forever to respond and are not helpful AT ALL! It's been 24 days! I would rather walk than rent from them again.

soporia moment Tallahassee, FL

I rented a car to head back to school and the car was great on gas the only thing was trying to get the car they literally had someone to Sanitize the car but had us to wait an hour just so it can get sanitize

Greg Wood Pittsburgh, PA

Picking up the car there was no comment about lack of cash option for PA tolls, trying to get through the phone tree idling in front of toll booth only to get someone who was not able to answer my question and could hear the papers shuffling as she researched it. Newer car and no problems during the trip, I tried calling to find out about tolls and even opened EZ-Pass account to pay to no avail. Upon drop-off, snide gal tells me "use the drop-box" and unable to have question answered. Coming into the airport the following morning (had to stay overnight at Pitt Hyatt), I encountered Desiree. She seemed nice enough at first, I even commented it must be hard for her to keep her voice having to yell through mask & shield. I let her know about a late charge added to my receipt, she printed a copy to review together (gave me a copy). In remarking as to the toll issue as well, "well she must have put today as check-in." I told her I was not able to speak with a human being and directed to use the drop-box, that I stayed in the hotel overnight and have a receipt to prove the car was returned last night (even took a picture of the plate for the PA tolls, EZ-Pass account). "Well I'm just telling you what she did." How is that a way to respond to a customer, instead of understanding the issue she simply escalated a scenario where I was not raising my voice nor using profanity. "You don't need to talk to me like that," like what? I told her she didn't need to have a power trip with me, now I could see why the person before me had to spend so much time with her (other rep at counter took care of 2 people during this time). She demanded the receipt to be returned, she yelled at me when I took her pic. I will definitely let Costco know my concerns. I understand limited staff and customer service will be sub-par for a while post-pandemic, "out of character" per manager Shannon and maybe just a bad day. I don't know nor care about her day, customer service is NOT Desiree's strength!

Patrick Kingsport, TN

Rented a car drove 2 hours to Wilkes-Barre, PA and got a flat tire. I looked for a spare but it had been removed. This should be checked by AVIS prior to rentals as a safety precaution. At 7:30pm is when the flat occurred, it took 7 calls to get through a busy tone with AVIS's 1800 number but once I got through they sent a ticket from AVIS to roadside service for a 2-way tow. The vehicle to replace mine was in Newark, NJ (196 miles away). The 2-way tow would take 4 to 6 hours amd would start at 8:30pm (so expected at 12:30 - 2:30am). At 10pm I called Roadside to get a quick update (on hold for 40 minutes) and they answered and let me know they had not started on my ticket. It would now be 5 to 7 hours from 10:45pm. I had a flight the next morning 2 hours away so this was no longer going to work. Note I was in an abandoned parking lot with moderate to high crime. I asked if we could change the tow from 2 way to a 1 way tow and take a Lyft to Philadelphia to make my flight. The AVIS representative (Corey) told me to take my keys with me so the car doesn't get stolen she stated that I could drop them off at any AVIS in the 48 states. I then took a ride to Philadelphia for $200. I arrived at the hotel at 2am and I had a text stating that a tow truck would be arriving around 300 minutes (5 hours ...). I would have missed my flight. The next day I landed in Atlanta (lay over on my way to Albuquerque) and I got a call from the towing company saying they were at the car but needed the keys, I told them that that wasn't going to happen and they hung up. I called AVIS on Friday (3 days after the flat tire) and asked if the car was picked up and they said no. I asked to talk to a manager and they said they would call me in 48 hours.... (AVIS is nothing but unhelpful and slow). They did not call me at all so I called them the following Friday and got a hold of a manager (Jack... by the way just as useless) and he said I can't do anything for you until the contract is closed... which will take 3 to 5 days. I will have to call next Friday to follow up and AVIS refuses to call me back after the contract is closed but is now my responsibility to keep calling till it gets closed.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Avis is my go-to car rental agency. I love the upgrades, low prices, and cool cars. Everything I have ever rented from Avis has been newer, super clean, and well maintained. Reservations and checkout are so easy and hassle free. And they have a million locations for easy returns. They are simply the best!

David Anderson Providence, UT

I have been renting from Avis for my entire career. I travel to Denver often and Avis has a ton of busses and is always there with very little wait time. At Denver, the Avis location is the closest to the airport and is very easy to get to from the road. The employees are always very helpful and give me free upgrades often. I highly recommend Avis to all my coworkers and friends.

Raquel San Jose, CA

I use Avis for all personal and business trips. The employees are always great to talk to and knowledgeable. There was one time that I flew in and they didnt have the car I needed on hand - they not only found the car I had reserved but had it up to me in about 30 minutes. They turned what could have been a large problem (I had a lot of luggage and needed a large SUV) into a success story. Thank you for being reliable.

Desi Bramwell Norwalk, OH

I recently rented a car from Avis’s service. It was a nice car and drove great. They were very easy to work with as well.

Anna Topkis Denver, CO

If there was a negative star option, I would have chosen it. We are a preferred customer and did digital check in from home. We are currently standing in a 2 hour line , according to other patrons who have finally reached the front. Don’t rent here, terrible service.

Viranea M Milwaukee, WI

At first no complaints..2 weeks after the rental I received a letter saying smoke damage..LIES..Before we left everything was fine no issues..Now this.I left 2 iphones in the car I paid for insurance and overnight delivery..I have yet to receive the phones but got a fraudulent bill..They mistakenly sent me pics of the wrong car..Sad that they make all of that money but still commit fraud..

Joe M Colorado Springs, CO

I rented from AVIS last weekend and received a car with mechanical issues, safety issues and then when I called for assistance, I was charged additional fees for the roadside assistance. I had paid for an ungraded convertible in Florida, the cars rear brake lights never went out even when just idling in park making it a safety concern, the engine had to be feathered to continue to maintain any speed, the cruise control did not work because of this, and then I needed a jump start as the constant brake lights being on all night killed the battery and I was charged for them to send someone out to jump start the car...Don't ever use them as the only response I got was an apology saying "We are sorry you had a bad experience". No offer to refund anything or make things right with an added $220 charge for the jump start...

Julie Love Sherman Jackson, MI

I made an online reservation for a car rental as part of my trip over the holidays. I paid for the rental in full at the time of my reservation. However, when I tried to pick up my car rental, the Avis customer service representative would not let me rent the car, though I had proof of my reservation. She claimed that Avis wouldn't allow me to use a debit card though I provided her with a debit card that can be run as credit. Furthermore, Avis' own rental terms and conditions state that a debit card may be used. After my trip, I spent weeks getting the run-around from Avis customer service as I tried to get a refund. I still have not received a refund for this service that I already paid for. My entire experience with this company was less than professional.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Just booked a rental through AVIS for one week. They were by far cheaper than the other competitors. Unlimited mileage and was able to upgrade my car at no charge.

Heather Murphy Land O' Lakes, FL

I picked up and dropped off my rental at the Tampa Florida airport. The only reason I'm giving 2 stars is because the process of making a reservation and paying ahead for your rental online was very easy as well has the process when I arrived at the airport. I walked up to the desk let them know I reserved and paid for a rental online. He asked me if I wanted to pay for tolls ahead of time or pay a refueling fee in which I decline because I knew the route I was taking from Florida to Indiana I would not cross any tolls and I always bring cars back with a full tank of gas. I then paid my $250 deposit, he printed my rental agreement I signed and off I went to the parking garage to get the car. Easy right?! Now, let me add that this is the first time I've rented from Avis but not the first time I've rented a care. In fact I've been renting cars for many years through Enterprise, they have the same process that I spoke of above but Avis had a slightly lower deposit so I decided to try them out. I'm mentioning this to point out that I've signed many rental agreements in my time for renting a car. They are all pretty basic and I've never had any issues with getting my entire deposit or anything else for that matter. It's pretty straight forward. This is not the case with Avis! I should have read every detail of that rental agreement and I encourage ANYONE renting from them to do the same. I returned the car on a Wednesday at 3:00 pm with a full tank of gas just like I agreed to. The gentleman that checked the car let me know that the deposit should be released back to me with in 24 hours but that it depends on my bank when it will actually be back in my account, which I already knew but I thanked him and off I went. Now fast forward a couple of days. I noticed that something wasn't quite right with my bank account in regards to the deposit and fees. I noticed that some money was put back in my account but that there was now 2 separate fees from Avis, one for $46.85 and one for $90.56. I instantly started trying to get ahold of someone to find out what happened and kept getting a recording saying they were closed and to call back during normal business hours but I was calling during normal business hours according to the recording. I continued to try this for 2 days, then decided to try and reach out to someone in customer service via email. I wrote any email explaining everything in which someone responded with an apology and explained to me that they forgot to charge me a refueling fee so that was the 90.56 and the 46.85 was loss damage waiver insurance. They also said if I still disagree to send supporting documents. I emailed back stating that I declined any extra insurance and refueling and returned the vehicle with a full tank. The next day I get a response back that again started with an apology and the said it wasn't a refueling fee and that the $137.41 was Loss Damage Waiver insurance. If that's the case why was that broke up into 2 separate charges? I then sent them a copy of the online reservation showing that I declined and receipt showing how much I paid ahead of time (which only doesn't include the deposit that I paid when I picked up the car). I told them that I understand that I signed the rental agreement so therefore legally I am now responsible for those fees but I asked if they would please refund that money since I sent proof that I declined. They replied, "Unfortunately we are unable to remove the loss damage waiver insurance. you had the option to accept or decline additional coverage. The renter (me) authorized additional coverage and that decision is noted on the rental agreement when the customer signs for the coverage. We have checked our records carefully and find that the additional coverage option was offered to you, and you indeed signed the agreement". So what this company is doing is hoping that people like me will trust them and just sign and initial and keep it moving. Because once I signed my name they knew they have my deposit or most of it. In addition to these fees today a charge of $17.55 was taken out of my account from Avis and a receipt was sent to my email for toll charges. I ended up going through one toll ($2.41) by the Tampa airport in order to get the car back at 3:00 pm and not be charged for an additional day. So Avis turned this small fee that I was more than willing to pay, in fact I thought because the car was rented in my name that I was just get my normal toll bill in the mail, into a $17.55 charge on my account. I will never use them again and hope someone else reads this either doesn't bother using them either or reads every inch of that rental agreement. Again I understand that my signature proves guilt but at the end of the day right is right and wrong is wrong and they know what they did to me is wrong because I showed them proof.

J Larson Safety Harbor, FL

BEWARE. Rented a four door Jeep Wangler i Albuquerque NM. Discover after a flat tire on state gravel that all tires, including spare were inflated to 54 psi. Side wall of tire indicated 44 psi max and Jeep recommended inflation pressure was. 36 psi for all tires. I am sure this led to the rock puncture of the front tire. The day of the return to AVIS car would not start resulting in a $218.00 jump start charge. Auto was 2 miles from return center. AVIS refuses to drop the road assistant charge. The bottom line is unsafe vehicle, unreasonable charges and the true rental cost does not reflect the fact that to be safe $7.50/day more for the cost of roadside assistance needs to be added to the daily charge. Last time I will use AVIS and definitely do not recommend them.

Shari Evers Lehi, UT

We had just had an extremely delayed flight. It was getting really close to midnight, and we were so ready to grab our car and get to the hotel. The Avis line was huge and it took about an hour for us to finally make it through the line. There was only one employee at the desks, and another that seemed very distracted. Hopefully, it was just an off night!

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

I had a really good experience when I rented from AVIS. The counter sales person was very friendly and helpful. I also appreciated that the type of car that I rented was the one that I received. I'm not crazy about their website, but it's not a deal killer for me.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

Last winter we got an Avis car rental at the airport. It was very easy to rent the car. We got the car we needed to accommodate our big group and at a good price. The car was clean and smelled good. It was an easy return process as well.

Steve Jones Riverton, UT

Avis is so great to work with. During a recent business trip, I was left stranded with no vehicle due to a mixup with a different rental agency. The representatives at Avis were so helpful and quick to get me into a vehicle and on the road. Highly recommend using Avis when traveling!

jkenny90 Houston, TX

I frequently use Avis to rent cars for business travel and have never had any issues with either the cars or the rental process. Getting off the airplane and into my rental car to on the road is always seamless and efficient.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

I love using Avis rental car because they always have the car ready and prepped for my pick up. I have always been impressed with the quick check out. I do like the discounts for this agency. I highly recommend this rental agency.

Jacob Shaner

I was very impressed by how prepared the receptionist was to help me with my rental. The rented a Ford and it was very clean. It even had XM radio. It was a very new and nice model. It was easy to get the car and return it. I would recommend Avis to a friend!

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I am not too picky when it comes to car rentals. I pick the lowest price, that still has a reasonably nice car that has unlimited mileage and is a good safe car. Avis meets all of these things and I have never been disappointed with Avis.

Ryan Grant Winder, GA

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!! - Be careful before you book and read the fine print. If you have to cancel even if just a few minutes later you will be stuck paying a $50 charge, no exceptions. Only company to do this. -They are the only company out there that caps your mileage then charges you $.25 every mile over. Everyone else has unlimited mileage for the same price. Rip off! - You think you're getting a deal at first, then you realize they add charges the others don't and you end up paying more for much less than what others are offering.

Brandon Wilson Decatur, GA

BEWARE!!! I rented a vehicle from this location for five days in July to travel up north. I paid for a Volkswagen Jetta or similar mid sized car and instead was given an 8 cylinder minivan. When I picked up the vehicle it was full of dog hair, vomit, and dog food. I switched the car out at a different Avis and again did not receive the vehicle I paid for. It is noteworthy that this car also had not been cleaned even during the height of a global pandemic. My elderly mother has flea bites from the first vehicle and to top it all off they charged me for an extra day though I returned this piece of junk well within the time limits. I contacted customer service (which took DAYS to achieve) and was given no refund and a cursory letter of apology. If you would like to literally leave your life and well being in the hands of an abhorrent company, then I highly recommend. I have contacted the health department and am in the process of filing a lawsuit against the company. So for $500 I am left with hospital bills for my mother and am understandably furious. Go somewhere else to rent a car- trust me.

Tiffiny F New York, NY

My rental was for an insurance claim. Normally I go through Enterprise, but wasn't able to get something quick enough. The woman I spoke with at Avis got me something very quickly. The day I picked up the rental the guy acted like I was bothering him. He had me initial a few things, sign and boom was on my way. I thought this was strange as at Enterprise they explain everything to you and go out to look at the vehicle with you to ensure there are no problems. Knowing the rental policies with Enterprise I didn't ask any questions. I return the vehicle yesterday with 0 problems. Today i look at my bank account to find a charge from Avis. I call and get the guy that did the agreement the day I picked up. He tells me that the woman had upgraded me to a truck at an SUV rate. I had mentioned I drove a truck and wanted a bigger vehicle, so her thought on that was appreciated. The problem is, I was never told that the upgrade would put me at my limit for my insurance coverage and that I was going to be stuck with the sales tax, $135. Had anyone at any point in time explained this to me I would've said no, find me something cheaper as I did not have the extra money to be covering this. Yhe guy then proceeds to tell me "well maybe you should ask questions." How am I going to ask questions on something I never knew about? I call the corporate office and get told they won't do anything. I filed a complaint so that hopefully these people will learn how to do their jobs properly and someone in the future doesnt get screwed the way I did. Thank you Avis, now I'm out my grocery shopping money for my children and you taught me a valuable lesson. Never go through Avis and steer everyone you know to stay away from you.

Michael Sweet Astoria, NY

Really, REALLY, bad experience with Avis, generally speaking. However, their Covid19 response was the worst. Because I canceled my reservation through the app and did not call them (they were not answering for hours at a time) I had to pay the full cancelation fee. This is because I did not wait until closer to the date (by 6 days). The customer service manager (note, manager) that I spoke with lectured me for 3 minutes, without allowing me to speak, from a script and then told me that it was my fault that I was being charged the fee. Where is the compassion for customers who didn't receive this "information" on how to call them and do things properly? Where is the compassion for customers who are canceling their trip because of Covid19 and have no options? You know the $50 fee is not really a big deal for me financially, but for many out there right now that is a trip to the grocery store! This is a nasty corporate money grab and also money poorly spent, as I will never do business with them again (after 23 years of business with them). What I will do, however, is spread the story of how I was treated. How this company responded in the greatest public health crisis of their time! Avis should be ashamed.

Nicholas Genes Los Angeles, CA

I’ve had to go with Avis when the other rental companies were out of stock. they don’t have anything that really stands out except that they came through when everyone else had nothing. Worth comparing with other large companies

Laura Baird Charlotte, NC

Would love to be able to take stars away from this company. Skip the online reservation and the laughable confirmation number. Even though it's 2020, this company lacks the ability to determine whether a site will have the car class you have reserved. The online process of picking a location, time and vehicle are a complete waste of time. You will be offered sonething else for a higher price or you will get the option of sitting around until someone brings in the type of car you "reserved". Everyone is apologetic, but this is common practice at Avis, apparently. Do yourself a favor and check out Turo instead.

Baby Boomer Couch Potato Palisades Park, NJ

I am (was) an Avis Preferred customer and have rented from Avis quite a bit in the past, never with great results, so I never expect much. I often fly into West Palm Beach airport as was the case Feb 5, 2020. As usual, the car in my reserved spot, was not mine and it took quite a while to straighten that out, no thanks to the rude employee at the counter. But it went downhill from there. Near the end of my visit, my car had a starter issue and I almost got stuck. Unlike Enterprise which has come to my rescue in the past with a car that had an issue, Avis wasn't really interested. Eventually, I had to drive the problematic car forty minutes to the airport, was made to feel like I was wrong to be upset, wait outside in the heat for an additional twenty minutes for another car and drive forty minutes back to my wheelchair bound mother to try to make appointments that were delayed. When I requested some refund from Avis, I was told "too bad". How's that for customer service. I strongly recommend that you do not rent from Avis, and I know I never will again.

Sasha Torman Syracuse, NY

I have rented with Avis many times when travelling for work, and nearly every experience in a variety of cities has been miserable. First off, many cars are filthy and not cleaned at all. Seats stained, nasty stuff collecting in cupholders etc. Recently I had to return one of my cars because it had an unbalanced wheel. I spent hours trying to call every phone number imaginable, and people either hung up on me or couldn't understand English well enough to help. Every time I have to deal with the rental agent, they seem to know very little and are never helpful. The worst offense is that recently they sneaked in a "Select and Go" upgrade which added almost $400 to a 6 day rental, nearly doubling the cost. The rental agent assured me that this "upgrade" was just the normal daily rate so like an idiot I listened to him and accepted, since the rate shown was about what I expected for the daily rate. I did not understand that this was in fact added to the existing daily rate. Now they refuse to refund me, claiming that I chose this upgrade, despite the fact that they literally had to explain to me what the upgrade was when explaining to me how I chose it. Save your money, your time, and your sanity and rent with literally anybody else.

catherine chiasson Sherbrooke, QC

When we booked the vehicle for our trip to Costa Rica, we paid for the liability insurance and declined the CDW insurance since our credit card covered us. It was on the Avis website itself, that we saw that it was possible to do this. We therefore asked the insurance company linked to our credit card to send us an official letter explaining the details of the insurance coverage suggested to us by several travel sites. When we arrived in San Josee on January 13th, the agent at the counter systematically refused to let us take possession of the vehicle if we didn't buy Avis CDW. We showed him the Allianz letter, he didn't even look at it and was very rude to us. In the end, we had to pay for the CDW insurance EVEN though our credit card covered us for almost $500 CAD more!! We sent an email to the customer service and they answered that the company reserves the right to deny the customer's insurance... this information is not indicated anywhere! You didn't give us the choice to buy your insurance otherwise we didn't have a vehicle. A real company of SCAMMERS!

Dmitri Perepelov Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

I've been Avis customer since 2007. I used to be Avis First before they discontinued that level, then went to Avis Preferred Plus. My records show that over that period I paid them US$60K, with 10 to 30 rentals each year. So maybe I'm not the top customer but certainly not the last one. The had been issues with Aeroplan Miles awarded for rentals. I'd take advantage of a promotion, enter all the codes - and sometimes not get all the miles promised, or no miles at all. I'd contact customer service, and after some back&forth they'd issue those miles. Last fall I had several rentals with that issue - and they eventually said I didn't use the right code when I was booking. So when I had to book a rental next time, I made sure to take screenshots of every step, noting that I follow what's written in the promotion to the letter. And when I didn't get the miles, I sent all that to Avis CS asking for the credit. That was last December, and they first said it would take 5 to 7 business days, and when I called again two weeks later, they said they need 10 more business days - no explanation why they couldn't give an accurate ETA. So I called again today - only to find out that my claim was denied and the case was closed. They ignored all the evidence basically saying since the code is incorrect in their system - there's nothing they can do. They ignored my question: how can I make sure the data in their system is correct, since I don't have access to it, I only see what I enter myself. I've spoken to four CS agents today, and all of them were rude and inconsiderate at the end of our conversation. I have decided that I no longer want to do any business with a company that treats its "preferred" clients so poorly.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I've rented from Avis serval times. The cars are always clean and work correctly. Pickup and dropoff is as easy as can be. Friendly staff. Good company.

Jacque Nash Katy, TX

I returned my recent rental to the avis location KY4 in Katy Texas with a full tank of gas. Two days later I noticed a charge of almost $80 on my bank statement from avis. Upon investigation I discovered that I was charged that amount because the location reported the vehicle was not returned with a full tank of gas. I had to provide proof of gas purchase to which I will have to wait 3-5 business days to receive refund. This is very inconvenient and frustrating. I will never do business with avis and highly recommend that anyone who does monitor their bank account in the days following a rental return for any extra charges that are inaccurate and unwarranted.

Alicia Washington, DC

The worst rental car company. Pros- *Ability to rent w/any state DL. *No deposit to no more than 100 deposit. *Upgrade can be given Cons- *Customer service Call center does not know Avis policy’s. I spoke with 5 different agents just so I can confirm details if my reservation. The agents DO NOT know the policy at all. Only two agents spoke the same thing the other 3 agents said different things. *Everytime I called I would have to give detail info because I’m rental wasn’t found. *I called to extend a rental and I confirmed the extension even two different agents confirmed my extension and I thought I was good to go until 3 DAYS later I received a phone call from a automated system that my rental was 3 days pass due. But I called to extended. I called the customer service because you will never ever ever ever reach anyone at the actual location in DC. So no I’m being told I have to go to a Avis location the sane one I picked up the car at just to get all my details straighten out. I’m so lost. Enterprise I recommend to anyone. It’s a smooth process. Anytime changes needed to be done with enterprise I’ve never had a issue with enterprise. AVIS IS STRESSFUL!! Unprofessional!! Unknowledgeable!!!