Alamo Rental Car was founded in 1974. They were one of the first companies in the industry to allow unlimited mileage as part of its rental program. In its North American locations, Alamo rents primarily GM, Toyota, Volvo, and other known auto brands. Alamo is the largest renter to international travelers and developed the first online car rental system in 2005. They have set many standards in the industry. In 2007, Enterprise Rent-a-Car purchased Alamo by an exchange of stock and other financial collateral. All three Alamo, National and Enterprise brands are all under the parent company, Enterprise Holdings, Inc.

#1 Enterprise chevron_right
#2 Hertz chevron_right
3.9
#3 Sixt Rent A Car chevron_right
1.3
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

The Good

• Competitive pricing
  • Available in 50 states
  • Online check-in

Economy Price Range

Economy prices for Alamo range from low to average in the industry, this gives them a competitive advantage. Alamo's quoted rates include all taxes, fees, and discounts. This eliminates being surprised with higher fees than anticipated when checking out.

Luxury Price Range

Alamo's luxury car prices range from low to average in the industry. This lower price range allows more customers to rent luxury cars. The downside is that luxury cars are not available in all locations. In cities like New York, Alamo luxury cars are not offered. Many of their competitors offer luxury rentals across the board in every major city or state.

States Available

Alamo locations can be found in 50 states. Some competitors offer locations in some states, but not all. This is a significant advantage for frequent travelers because they can use the same company that they know and can collect membership points. This also makes renting a car available to residents in every state who need to rent a car locally.

Airports Locations

Alamo has airport locations in all 50 states (and in Puerto Rico) with rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. Anywhere you land, there is a convenient Alamo location.

Roadside Assistance

Alamo offers 24/7 roadside assistance to help you in case your vehicle has issues. Their roadside assistance costs $4.99 a day. This is average for most rental car companies and is moderately affordable.

Online Check-In

One of Alamo's premier features is their online check-in. This allows renters to check in before arriving at the rental location, speeding up the rental process. In some Alamo locations, online check-ins allows customers to skip the rental counter entirely, going directly to the car attendant and receiving their keys. Travelers in a hurry or who have grown tired of waiting in long lines will greatly benefit from this option.

The Bad

• No fuel discount
  • No toll prepay option
  • No instant return

On-Site Fuel Discount

There is no on-site fuel discount with Alamo. The Fuel Service Option charges the local gas rate times the number of gallons held in the tank. It appears best to fill your own tank. Alamo says to bring the car back empty (if you select their prepay fueling option) since there is no refund for additional fuel in the tank at time of return.

Toll Prepay Option

Alamo customers do not have a prepay toll option through Alamo's website. If you want a toll pass for your vehicle, you have to ask at the rental counter when you are signing in to pick up your car. This can be problematic if you get to the rental counter and find out there are no more toll passes available. This additional step takes more time and makes checking in longer. Most car rental companies offer toll prepay. Customers of car rental companies that offer toll prepay options avoid this issue and have a guaranteed toll pass when they check in.

Instant Return

During business hours, you have to return the car and keys in person to the front counter. Some car rental companies offer an instant return. This allows customers to leave the car with the keys in it without having to checkout at the counter. Alamo also offers after-hours returns, allowing renters to return their cars to the lot, drop off their keys, and be on their way without needing to enter the rental location.

The Bottom Line

Customers traveling on a budget are well-suited for Alamo. Alamo is located in every state and offers a wide variety of vehicles. Alamo's online check-in service is compatible with renters who like to take care of everything online, which is an added convenience to customers. The only downsides are no prepaid toll passes, on-site fuel discounts, or instant returns. We recommend working with Alamo for your car rental needs.

3.9

Steve Jones

March 30th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently had my first experience renting a vehicle through Alamo and it was a decent experience. They have a great selection of cars at a great price. Customer service was great too. I will definitely use them again in the future.

Austin Stelmach

March 16th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Rented a mini-van through Alamo while in Florida. Worked great, easy to return, helpful staff!

Randi Nelson

March 6th, 2020 San José, SJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Alamo was fantastic while we had our vacation in Mexico. They had great costumer service and we were pleased with our experience and the price of the rental care

Jami Lucas

March 6th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We recently rented large vans for a family trip and were very pleased with the cleanliness and customer service.

russbayles

March 2nd, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Rented a Mustang for me and my son for a quick baseball trip. Customer service was very fast and the car was awesome. We will always try to use them.

Zabsanti

March 2nd, 2020 Slidell, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently rented a car from this service and their services was very welcoming. Their staff was very patient with my non english speaking parents and they provided us with a very good car for our stay in that city.

Sage Loveland

February 26th, 2020 Kihei, HI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My last car rental was with Alamo and my experience was flawless. No waiting in line, just signed a couple papers, picked my lovely car and was off. It was very easy and all employees were friendly.

Fife32

February 26th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had an incredible experience with Alamo in Mexico. They were very accommodating with our family and we had a satisfied family experience.

David T

February 25th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had bad and good experiences with Alamo. Pretty good selection of cars, but customer service.

mccandless24

February 25th, 2020 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used Alamo for our last car rental and I was beyond happy with the service and quality of our vehicle. The check-in was fast and we were in our vehicle in no time. Bringing back the car was just as easy in and out and on our way to catch our flight. Would recommend.

Julie Taylor

February 25th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The car was clean and well maintained. The rental process took forever. There was only one associate there for most of the process and the line was huge. We had a long drive ahead of us and the wait for the car was so frustrating.

Kaitlyn Rios

February 25th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Alamo has always been super professional and care about my end price for the rentals I get. They are cost cost aware and look for great deals. I am impressed with the availability of different styles of cars as well.

Nichole Hiatt

February 20th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We rented a vehicle in Florida last month and Alamo was great to work with. The car was clean and ran perfectly; customer service was friendly and even told us about a toll pass we could get that would save us money while we were there.

Amy Christian

February 18th, 2020 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Alamo tends to have the best prices when I’m searching for car rentals. The pricing is upfront and doesn’t have weird hidden fees like other companies do. Easy to use kiosks

Audrey Mitchell

February 18th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Alamo was the company used when needing a car for a quick trip. Nice quality cars and service.

Anne

February 18th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Got a free car upgrade and a discount due to my sister being a state employee.The customer service I received was good and the people were very helpful and patient, especially since our younger nieces and nephews were there.

Denise Riggs

February 14th, 2020 Midvale, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently rented a car from Alamo in Los Angeles. It was a great experience. We checked in at a self kiosk which was really nice as I didn’t have to listen to anyone trying to upgrade or have me add things on I didn’t want. We finished there and then were told on the screen to walk outside and to go in the parking lot and then to pick any car in our category. The car we rented was a 2020, had that new car smell. It was in perfect condition. The process was so easy and Alamo is my new favorite car rental company.

amy rex

February 14th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Alamo is great if you don't have a credit card. They will take a debit instead.

Jillaine Clark

February 10th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have loved Alamo because they are usually thr cheapest car rental whenever I've needed one! They're super reliable and great quality too!

Bryndie

February 10th, 2020 Managua, MN

Good company to rent a car from. Got to the desk super late after a long flight and they were so kind and accommodating and gave us a free upgrade which was awesome.

Reckholdt

February 7th, 2020 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We rented a van from Alamo and it was a great experience. We got a great deal. The van was very new and very clean. I was impress.

PessoaJ

February 4th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have rented through Alamo multiple times and give them 5 stars. They always try to be quick and efficient and get you in your rental car as quickly as possible!

Juliann Mecham

February 3rd, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had a great experience with Alamo in Mexico. Fun people, great workers, great car. Over all great experience.

TERENCE COURSEN

January 30th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

easy to book a car. great employees to deal with. easy pick up and drop off.

Tim H

December 4th, 2019 Santa Clara, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I reserved a truck at Pittsburgh airport for a hunting trip. I requested a4 wheel drive since I would be driving thru some rough terrain in the mountains. I was told that there was no guarantee that I would actually get 4WD upon presenting myself at the counter but most all of their trucks are 4WD, so not to worry. Arrived at the counter & was told I was upgraded to premium and they had a 4WD truck available. I checked out, jumped in the truck to head to my destination only to find that I was lied to by the Alamo rep. The truck was NOT 4WD, but I had already rented it and was out of the airport. Upon exiting I asked where the 4WD button/switch/gear shift was located & the kid processing me out didn’t know. I would have gone to any of the half fixed agencies and rented what I wanted had I known this before committing to Alamo. I was lied to and have a bad taste over the whole experience! I had to bum rides from friends as this truck had inadequate tires and NO 4WD. I won’t be back Alamo...

Kristi Young

December 4th, 2019 Rockton, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I rented in Florida. Be aware that you will be charged a $3.95 ADDITIONAL charge for every day you incur a toll on a toll road, almost double the toll). Also be aware that in addition to the charges you pay when reserving the rental car, you will be charged for a list of services when you drop off your car (facility fee, concierge fee, surcharge recovery, wtf that is, etc.). In total, I ended up paying $376 to reserve, $135 at drop off + $12.72 for 4 electronic tolls, the service fees were 4 times what the tolls cost. I feel ripped off bigly for a 1 week rental. Not renting from Alamo again. Buyer beware. $477.72 = $67.67 PER DAY

Tom Gourley

December 2nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I have dealt with Alamo I have found their customer service representatives to be very friendly and helpful. Often times they offer upgrades to a nicer car for no added cost. They are also very competitively priced and are often located close to the airports I use. I use them as often as I can.

Martha Gourley

December 2nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Overall Alamo has the best prices on rental car. They provide clean and well maintained cars. They make it easy to pick up and return the car.

Stephanie

November 13th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Alamo Colorado Springs Airport customer service is the absolute best. They are friendly, kind, and forgiving. Especially when their customer (my family) cuts it too close returning the rental car with barely enough time to make our flight. 😳 We made our flight! We are very grateful for their kindness in an especially stressful situation. The pick-up and drop-off agents were both wonderful and so helpful. We highly recommend renting from Alamo COS—A++ customer service all the way! 🤗

George Schwamb

October 16th, 2019 Brookline, NH

Myself and my wife went to Raleigh/Durham rented a car from Alamo car rental. The worst experience ever.we rented the vehicle two weeks ago and two weeks later they put the transaction through for the vehicle. The worst experience ever they rented a vehicle with practically no breaks and a tire blew. I would not recommend Alamo to my worst enemy. Never in my life have I ever rented a vehicle from any auto rental company and had that ever happened. On a 0 to 10 and 0 being the extreme worst that they could get I rate them a 0

Shawn

October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always happy with the cars and the he rental experience at Alamo. Shuttle service is nice too.

Rischelle Mikkelson

October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Alamo is one of my favorite car rental companies. They are at almost every location that I travel to and always have reasonable deals. The agents are always kind and helpful and they often offer free upgrades.

Alyssa Boren

October 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The employees were kind when giving us the car and when we returned it. The cars were in great condition and looked clean when it was given to us.

Don Boren

October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Car was clean and ready to go when we got to the rental agency. The counter staff was kind and considerate.

Amy Boren

October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great price! We had no problems picking up the car and they even upgraded us for no extra charge. Great customer service!

Jaime

October 3rd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We've rented cars from Alamo when traveling before and never had any issues. Cars were what we requested, and everything went great.

Ron Durfey

September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Alamo has been around a long time. I travel a lot and only use Alamo when absolutely necessary. They usually have cars available when other agencies are sold out.

Keeli Hansen

July 22nd, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great car rental service they have cars of all sizes for all sizes of parties wanting to rent

Maryn skinner

June 14th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Whenever we go out of town and need to rent a car we always use Alamo. The cars we have used are always clean and we have never had any problems with them. The employees are great and helping us get exactly what we want.

Anastasia

May 22nd, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. Booked through Alamo website. At the counter asked about INSURANCE, was told that I DO HAVE IT. CDW must be INCLUDED for NOT US RESIDENTS, but was NOT. Now I have to pay damages

Elisa Vakapuna

May 21st, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Alamo has great service and prices for rental cars! We use them a lot when traveling!

Reese

May 20th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Alamo rental car many times. I used to travel for work and I still do sometimes. I also travel to a lot of volleyball tournaments around the country and I usually get my rental car through a trip advisor agency or comparison and more times than not Alamo pops up. I started using Alamo for price, but now I know that they also have great customer service and easy in and out service.

Adrienne C

April 23rd, 2019 Antioch, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I went to pick up a car, and it was drugs substance residue all in the car. Just be aware when you rent from them.

Stacie ryker

April 12th, 2019 Nampa, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I rented a car from them and ended up paying way more than what was agreed!! I had to keep it one extra day because I had to rush my dad to the ER. I spoke to someone with alamo and they told me that was perfectly fine and take all the time I need.. well that was not the case!! They charged me over 100 more for one freaking day!!! Not to mention it will cost me even more because it over drafted my credit card! I guess it will be too bad for them because I will be renting cars quite often for the next year but I will NEVER RENT FROM THEM AGAIN! I've never left a bad review before but I am so disgusted with how they handled this I couldn't help but say something. Plus the gal that I returned the car to was rude and didnt even give a crap that i was so upset about the charges. I have worked in customer service for over 15 years and I would never treat a customer that way. Even if she wouldve said she was sorry and there was nothing she could do about it.. I wouldve felt better about the situation but all she said was well that's what I ran your card for. ALAMO NEEDS TO BE OPEN WITH ALL CHARGES PRIOR TO RUNNING SOMEONES CARD!!

Sherri Rose

August 31st, 2018 Orem, UT

I use Alamo quite often. The prices are always comparable to others and the service is good. If I check and Alamo is the same price or cheaper than other car rental agencies, I'll always choose Alamo.

Derek Scoville

August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I am all about the deal. I researched different rental car companies on my trip to Hawaii, but Alamo was the cheapest. It was easy to book, and easy to return. Great Value!

Robin

August 29th, 2018 Orem, UT

i have rented with them 3 times and all 3 times has been a great experience. picked up at the airport rental. they workers already had the vehicle ready, cleaned and the car door to the driver seat was already opened for me. very pleasant workers who helped with our luggage. we found a great week deal. drop off was easy, worker was already standing there to check the vehicle in and we were on our way.

Lesa Burgess

August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

As a frequent traveler, I find Alamo to be a rental company that is NOT everywhere you travel. They are only in certain places across America when traveling. They have a decent rewards member program where you can earn a 5% discount on your next rentals. This is ok for a rewards program, not great. The pricing is pretty good, nothing too expensive but also nothing too cheap. You can find an affordable nice car when you rent with Alamo.

tini mapu

August 28th, 2018 Orem, UT

BEST thing about Alamo is that they don't require money down. It makes it easy to rent a car wherever you travel.

Jr

August 28th, 2018 Orem, UT

alamo saved our weekend trip when budget didn't come through with our reservation. thanks for being accommodating and saving the day.