Alamo Rental Car was founded in 1974. They were one of the first companies in the industry to allow unlimited mileage as part of its rental program. In its North American locations, Alamo rents primarily GM, Toyota, Volvo, and other known auto brands. Alamo is the largest renter to international travelers and developed the first online car rental system in 2005. They have set many standards in the industry. In 2007, Enterprise Rent-a-Car purchased Alamo by an exchange of stock and other financial collateral. All three Alamo, National and Enterprise brands are all under the parent company, Enterprise Holdings, Inc.

#1 Enterprise chevron_right
3.9
#2 Hertz chevron_right
3.8
#3 Sixt Rent A Car chevron_right
1.3
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

The Good

• Competitive pricing
  • Available in 50 states
  • Online check-in

Economy Price Range

Economy prices for Alamo range from low to average in the industry, this gives them a competitive advantage. Alamo's quoted rates include all taxes, fees, and discounts. This eliminates being surprised with higher fees than anticipated when checking out.

Luxury Price Range

Alamo's luxury car prices range from low to average in the industry. This lower price range allows more customers to rent luxury cars. The downside is that luxury cars are not available in all locations. In cities like New York, Alamo luxury cars are not offered. Many of their competitors offer luxury rentals across the board in every major city or state.

States Available

Alamo locations can be found in 50 states. Some competitors offer locations in some states, but not all. This is a significant advantage for frequent travelers because they can use the same company that they know and can collect membership points. This also makes renting a car available to residents in every state who need to rent a car locally.

Airports Locations

Alamo has airport locations in all 50 states (and in Puerto Rico) with rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. Anywhere you land, there is a convenient Alamo location.

Roadside Assistance

Alamo offers 24/7 roadside assistance to help you in case your vehicle has issues. Their roadside assistance costs $4.99 a day. This is average for most rental car companies and is moderately affordable.

Online Check-In

One of Alamo's premier features is their online check-in. This allows renters to check in before arriving at the rental location, speeding up the rental process. In some Alamo locations, online check-ins allows customers to skip the rental counter entirely, going directly to the car attendant and receiving their keys. Travelers in a hurry or who have grown tired of waiting in long lines will greatly benefit from this option.

The Bad

• No fuel discount
  • No toll prepay option
  • No instant return

On-Site Fuel Discount

There is no on-site fuel discount with Alamo. The Fuel Service Option charges the local gas rate times the number of gallons held in the tank. It appears best to fill your own tank. Alamo says to bring the car back empty (if you select their prepay fueling option) since there is no refund for additional fuel in the tank at time of return.

Toll Prepay Option

Alamo customers do not have a prepay toll option through Alamo's website. If you want a toll pass for your vehicle, you have to ask at the rental counter when you are signing in to pick up your car. This can be problematic if you get to the rental counter and find out there are no more toll passes available. This additional step takes more time and makes checking in longer. Most car rental companies offer toll prepay. Customers of car rental companies that offer toll prepay options avoid this issue and have a guaranteed toll pass when they check in.

Instant Return

During business hours, you have to return the car and keys in person to the front counter. Some car rental companies offer an instant return. This allows customers to leave the car with the keys in it without having to checkout at the counter. Alamo also offers after-hours returns, allowing renters to return their cars to the lot, drop off their keys, and be on their way without needing to enter the rental location.

The Bottom Line

Customers traveling on a budget are well-suited for Alamo. Alamo is located in every state and offers a wide variety of vehicles. Alamo's online check-in service is compatible with renters who like to take care of everything online, which is an added convenience to customers. The only downsides are no prepaid toll passes, on-site fuel discounts, or instant returns. We recommend working with Alamo for your car rental needs.

3.7

Shawn
October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Always happy with the cars and the he rental experience at Alamo. Shuttle service is nice too.

Rischelle Mikkelson
October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Alamo is one of my favorite car rental companies. They are at almost every location that I travel to and always have reasonable deals. The agents are always kind and helpful and they often offer free upgrades.

Alyssa Boren
October 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

The employees were kind when giving us the car and when we returned it. The cars were in great condition and looked clean when it was given to us.

Don Boren
October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Car was clean and ready to go when we got to the rental agency. The counter staff was kind and considerate.

Amy Boren
October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Great price! We had no problems picking up the car and they even upgraded us for no extra charge. Great customer service!

Jaime
October 3rd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We've rented cars from Alamo when traveling before and never had any issues. Cars were what we requested, and everything went great.

Ron Durfey
September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Alamo has been around a long time. I travel a lot and only use Alamo when absolutely necessary. They usually have cars available when other agencies are sold out.

Keeli Hansen
July 22nd, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Great car rental service they have cars of all sizes for all sizes of parties wanting to rent

Maryn skinner
June 14th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Whenever we go out of town and need to rent a car we always use Alamo. The cars we have used are always clean and we have never had any problems with them. The employees are great and helping us get exactly what we want.

Anastasia
May 22nd, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. Booked through Alamo website. At the counter asked about INSURANCE, was told that I DO HAVE IT. CDW must be INCLUDED for NOT US RESIDENTS, but was NOT. Now I have to pay damages

Elisa Vakapuna
May 21st, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Alamo has great service and prices for rental cars! We use them a lot when traveling!

Reese
May 20th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used Alamo rental car many times. I used to travel for work and I still do sometimes. I also travel to a lot of volleyball tournaments around the country and I usually get my rental car through a trip advisor agency or comparison and more times than not Alamo pops up. I started using Alamo for price, but now I know that they also have great customer service and easy in and out service.

Adrienne C
April 23rd, 2019 Antioch, TN DETAILS

I went to pick up a car, and it was drugs substance residue all in the car. Just be aware when you rent from them.

Stacie ryker
April 12th, 2019 Nampa, ID DETAILS

I rented a car from them and ended up paying way more than what was agreed!! I had to keep it one extra day because I had to rush my dad to the ER. I spoke to someone with alamo and they told me that was perfectly fine and take all the time I need.. well that was not the case!! They charged me over 100 more for one freaking day!!! Not to mention it will cost me even more because it over drafted my credit card! I guess it will be too bad for them because I will be renting cars quite often for the next year but I will NEVER RENT FROM THEM AGAIN! I've never left a bad review before but I am so disgusted with how they handled this I couldn't help but say something. Plus the gal that I returned the car to was rude and didnt even give a crap that i was so upset about the charges. I have worked in customer service for over 15 years and I would never treat a customer that way. Even if she wouldve said she was sorry and there was nothing she could do about it.. I wouldve felt better about the situation but all she said was well that's what I ran your card for. ALAMO NEEDS TO BE OPEN WITH ALL CHARGES PRIOR TO RUNNING SOMEONES CARD!!

Sherri Rose
August 31st, 2018 Orem, UT

I use Alamo quite often. The prices are always comparable to others and the service is good. If I check and Alamo is the same price or cheaper than other car rental agencies, I'll always choose Alamo.

Derek Scoville
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I am all about the deal. I researched different rental car companies on my trip to Hawaii, but Alamo was the cheapest. It was easy to book, and easy to return. Great Value!

Robin
August 29th, 2018 Orem, UT

i have rented with them 3 times and all 3 times has been a great experience. picked up at the airport rental. they workers already had the vehicle ready, cleaned and the car door to the driver seat was already opened for me. very pleasant workers who helped with our luggage. we found a great week deal. drop off was easy, worker was already standing there to check the vehicle in and we were on our way.

Lesa Burgess
August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

As a frequent traveler, I find Alamo to be a rental company that is NOT everywhere you travel. They are only in certain places across America when traveling. They have a decent rewards member program where you can earn a 5% discount on your next rentals. This is ok for a rewards program, not great. The pricing is pretty good, nothing too expensive but also nothing too cheap. You can find an affordable nice car when you rent with Alamo.

tini mapu
August 28th, 2018 Orem, UT

BEST thing about Alamo is that they don't require money down. It makes it easy to rent a car wherever you travel.

Jr
August 28th, 2018 Orem, UT

alamo saved our weekend trip when budget didn't come through with our reservation. thanks for being accommodating and saving the day.

Aiga
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

Alamo is great! when i can't get a vehicle with Enterprise Alamo is my next choice. honest, friendly, good deals and clean vehicles.

Stephanie Brinton
August 27th, 2018 Lindon, UT

I have never had a problem using Alamo rental car company. I like to get a good deal with my rental car, but prefer to go with a reliable company. I usually pick Alamo as the best place for service and reliability at a good price.

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We enjoy renting from Alamo because of our positive experience with customer service we received in San Antonio Texas.

Gordon Mancuso
December 15th, 2017 Boise, ID DETAILS

Alamo is OK. I got great prices when I used them through Costco travel. However, I had several issues with multiple rentals across different states. 1) I was sent a bill for a toll that I had supposedly gone through without paying. However I wasn't even in the same state as the toll on the day that it was recorded. While this is really Illinois' fault, Alamo could have taken a look at the picture and realized it wasn't the car I rented before billing me. 2) Alamo tried to charge me for severe damage to a rental that was not there during my rental, and was not caused me. This rental spanned only about 5 hours (the time it took to drive from Buffalo to Cleveland), and I never left the vehicle, and certainly never got into an accident. They ended up waiving the charge, but it was a stressful experience. So in the end all the issues I had got resolved, but it left a bad feeling about Alamo. Over 2 weeks, I rented 3 cars from Alamo, and had problems with the company on two of those rentals. I have rented cars dozens of times with Hertz and cannot recall even one issue like I had with Alamo.

Hyrum
November 6th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I've had great experiences with Alamo in the last year. Had a trip to Minnesota and picking up the car from the airport was painless. Had another trip to North Carolina and we signed up for a manager's special which guaranteed us a certain size vehicle, with the possibility of something bigger at no additional cost. We ended up getting a giant Ford F150 that was a blast to drive for the cost of renting a small sedan. I plan on using them in the future.

Doyal Stewart
June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I used Alamo when I was taking a trip with the family in California. We rented a really nice convertible and drove all over Southern California. Budget was very easy to work with, and had reasonable prices. I would use them again in the future.

Steve Campbell
January 5th, 2017 Scottsdale, AZ

Rental with Alamo 12/29 -1/3, pickup at airport terminal- O'Hara, Chicago, went well and the counter purchase with the rep was great. He even took the time to go with us to the car to put our luggage in the trunk. But the transport back on 1/3 about 7:30pm to the airport was horrible. The driver of the van was standing around when we dropped our car off at the return depot, He came over and took my wife's luggage and we had 3 bags with us. I continued to checkout with the rep and when finished, the other 2 bags were still at the back of the trunk, Ok I'm a guy. So I took them to the van and loaded them myself. The driver was sitting in his seat. We were the only people in the van. He asked us what airline we were flying and left for the terminals. But said he was making some stops before getting to our terminal. So we proceeded to the terminals and figured he would let us know when we should get off. He picked up 3 other people. When we left the last terminal he announced over the speaker that we should have gotten off the last stop, really. Why wait until you leave the terminal before telling us? And I guess you weren't going to help us with our luggage, not like Avis or Budget who I usually rent with. On the driver tag for the van his name said Wille? If that's his real name. When I asked him "now what are we going to do, I have to catch a flight". His response was that he could drop me off at another terminal and I can take another shuttle to the other terminal. My response was no and that I wanted him to take me back to the terminal where my flight departs. He did agree to take me there, but not until he dropped the 3 people back at the Alamo depot. Once we drove to the terminal again and this time I noticed that the truck had the announcements on for the terminals and the airlines being broadcasted, this was not on during our original departure. Once we reached the terminal, the driver did not even have the courtesy to help us with our bags -sad- and just sat in the driver seat- horrible. Sometimes the company is not about the product but the people and the people and service are the product- especially with a rental company. I've never rented with Alamo before and after this incident I will never use them again. My advice is that there are other rental companies.

Roger Coven
December 20th, 2016 Westwood, NJ

Called Alamo twice to get a price fur insurance. When I got to the counter in Mexico, I was charged twice the price that was quoted over the phone. I called Alamo customer service after the trip. NO HELP AT ALL. They claimed that insurance prices given over the phone are just an estimate. I was not told that on either of my 2 calls inquiring about the price. So Alamo is saying that they will not tell you how much it costs to rent a car from them! (Go to their company and keep your fingers crossed)