Alamo Logo

6.8

Alamo Rental Car was founded in 1974. They were one of the first companies in the industry to allow unlimited mileage as part of its rental program. In its North American locations, Alamo rents primarily GM, Toyota, Volvo, and other known auto brands. Alamo is the largest renter to international travelers and developed the first online car rental system in 2005. They have set many standards in the industry. In 2007, Enterprise Rent-a-Car purchased Alamo by an exchange of stock and other financial collateral. All three Alamo, National and Enterprise brands are all under the parent company, Enterprise Holdings, Inc.

Hertz Logo
#2 Hertz chevron_right
4.0
Sixt Rent A Car Logo
#3 Sixt Rent A Car chevron_right
1.3
star star_half star_border star_border star_border

The Good

• Competitive pricing
  • Available in 50 states
  • Online check-in

Economy Price Range

Economy prices for Alamo range from low to average in the industry, this gives them a competitive advantage. Alamo's quoted rates include all taxes, fees, and discounts. This eliminates being surprised with higher fees than anticipated when checking out.

Luxury Price Range

Alamo's luxury car prices range from low to average in the industry. This lower price range allows more customers to rent luxury cars. The downside is that luxury cars are not available in all locations. In cities like New York, Alamo luxury cars are not offered. Many of their competitors offer luxury rentals across the board in every major city or state.

States Available

Alamo locations can be found in 50 states. Some competitors offer locations in some states, but not all. This is a significant advantage for frequent travelers because they can use the same company that they know and can collect membership points. This also makes renting a car available to residents in every state who need to rent a car locally.

Airports Locations

Alamo has airport locations in all 50 states (and in Puerto Rico) with rental counters at most major airports throughout North America. Anywhere you land, there is a convenient Alamo location.

Roadside Assistance

Alamo offers 24/7 roadside assistance to help you in case your vehicle has issues. Their roadside assistance costs $4.99 a day. This is average for most rental car companies and is moderately affordable.

Online Check-In

One of Alamo's premier features is their online check-in. This allows renters to check in before arriving at the rental location, speeding up the rental process. In some Alamo locations, online check-ins allows customers to skip the rental counter entirely, going directly to the car attendant and receiving their keys. Travelers in a hurry or who have grown tired of waiting in long lines will greatly benefit from this option.

The Bad

• No fuel discount
  • No toll prepay option
  • No instant return

On-Site Fuel Discount

There is no on-site fuel discount with Alamo. The Fuel Service Option charges the local gas rate times the number of gallons held in the tank. It appears best to fill your own tank. Alamo says to bring the car back empty (if you select their prepay fueling option) since there is no refund for additional fuel in the tank at time of return.

Toll Prepay Option

Alamo customers do not have a prepay toll option through Alamo's website. If you want a toll pass for your vehicle, you have to ask at the rental counter when you are signing in to pick up your car. This can be problematic if you get to the rental counter and find out there are no more toll passes available. This additional step takes more time and makes checking in longer. Most car rental companies offer toll prepay. Customers of car rental companies that offer toll prepay options avoid this issue and have a guaranteed toll pass when they check in.

Instant Return

During business hours, you have to return the car and keys in person to the front counter. Some car rental companies offer an instant return. This allows customers to leave the car with the keys in it without having to checkout at the counter. Alamo also offers after-hours returns, allowing renters to return their cars to the lot, drop off their keys, and be on their way without needing to enter the rental location.

The Bottom Line

Customers traveling on a budget are well-suited for Alamo. Alamo is located in every state and offers a wide variety of vehicles. Alamo's online check-in service is compatible with renters who like to take care of everything online, which is an added convenience to customers. The only downsides are no prepaid toll passes, on-site fuel discounts, or instant returns. We recommend working with Alamo for your car rental needs.

3.7

Kiersten Manorville, NY

DO NOT USE ALAMO EVER! Long story short they made me, my young children and my 84 year old grandmother wait well over two hours to find the car we reserved and we left with a completely different one and when promised they would compensate me for the trouble they actually ended up charging me MORE than what i had originally signed for!!! please read on for the entire disastrous experience!!! I am absolutely appalled!!! so my mother in law and i rented two cars for seven days spending more than $1500 to do so. We reserved them months in advance. I specifically rented a mini van and did so well in advance because i was certain the specific type of child restraint system my daughter requires works in a mini van seat. Well upon arriving to the west palm beach location and after hours on a flight with my very young children and 84 year old grandmother we wait to be checked out. First they completely contradict what we had been told on the phone about being able to pay for both vehicles on one credit card, which presented a huge issue. Then after waiting over half an hour for our cars they arrive. I spend over 20 minutes trying to install the special restraint system my daughter requires as well as the regular car seats. My grandmother gets in the car, get the kids strapped in and we go to leave. At the check out booth we are stopped and the employee says 'i'm sorry, yiu can't leave in this car the plates are expired' she tells us to pull over to the side' i do and continue to wait for over 20 minutes. I then go back to her and she says, 'i am waiting for someone to bring another van' we continue to wait and after 45 mins ask again the employee says she is going to check herself. Awhile longer goes by and she comes back saying they have no vans left. At this point i'm panicking, we had a reservation to catch and were already severely late for it. My children are losing their minds and starving having been well over 7 hours since they last ate. And i have no idea what i'm going to do because i dont know if my daughters restraint system will work in a different vehicle. I implore with the employee named joylena to check for another van, even a dirty one. She leaves again and comes back awhile later saying there is none. Now during the well over hour and a half we had been waiting i saw no less than three other mini vans leave the lot. Finally because my children are losing it and my poor grandmother looks like she is going to pass out i just say 'well bring me anything' they bring over another vehicle and by the time i remove all the seats and the restraint system install them in the other car and get everyone in we had waited over two hours. Missed our reservations and i have no idea if my daughters restraint system is even safely installed in the new vehicle. I did not make a huge deal of it at the location because i knew the employee i was dealing with had nothing to do with it and i was also told by her and a manager that my rate would be well compensated and they were very sorry for the problems. Well i return the car and remind the agent of what happened and inquire about the compensation. They say they will take $160 off the reservation which wasnt even 1/6 th of what it cost me but i just want to be done with it. So i sign the paperwork and leave on the 19th. Today i check my bank account and not only did they not honor the ''discount' that they had told me they would give, they charged me over $30 more than the original paperwork i signed!!! I could tell the return agent was completely blowing me off and not listening to a word i was saying after i had dealt with the disastrous rental with more poise and self control than anyone i know would. All of that self control is out the window now. I will tell any and everyone NEVER to use alamo rental car and i intend on posting every single place i possibly can to warn people to never count on alamo to have your reservation or honor their word when they completely mess up!!! absolutely despicable!!!

Mary Hardy Charlotte, NC

We have used Alamo on multiple occasions. We have found that their website is easy to navigate and once we arrived, we were set to go with no wait time.

Samantha Grabert Salt Lake City, UT

Did not get the care requested, had to ask for another one and they gave me a hard time. They finally gave in, was frustrating.

Diego Antioch, CA

Awful. Families with children must read. You can’t imagine how frustrated we were when we got to pick the rental car up. Let start by saying that we are a family of 3, our son is 2 year old so we always need child seat every time we travel around. We booked a compact + insurance + CHILD SEAT, they had car seats available for that location and the booking was pretty smoothly. We arrived to the office early in the morning, despite the line we had to wait, we were really excited about getting the car and start our trip to visit the Everglades, Florida Keys and Miami. Once it was our turn, the rental car female agent asked for our personal information pretty roughly ( I thought she may had a bad day , who knows ) and then she said it might take a while to get the car ready. Anyway, we asked about the child seat and then she said that they did not have child seats in that rental location , ( whaaat ???? ) ; with bad manners she emphasize that they are not allowed to offer child seat since COVID pandemic ( whaaat again???? ) . Obviously the next question was about the booking we made through the website because it did not say anything about it. Her answer was amazing : the website is always wrong ( lol hope Alamo business people don’t read this review ). Actually she went further, she told us that no other rental car was allowed to provide car seat ( whaaat!!! The third whaaat in less than 10 minutes ) So, we decided to walk out and look for our options in that new scenario. We were so disappointed and especially frustrated after that unpleasant experience that we were wondering whether we had to update all our trip plans but, before moving forward, we dropped by Sixt rental cars, which was actually quite close to Alamo/Enterprise office. They were so kiiiind, they said that they did not have any car for the range of days we were going to stick around but they might try to help us looking for some alternatives. They ASSURED that there was no restrictions for child seat, they’ve been offering since the beginning of the pandemic. We had some hope. Therefore, I picked my phone and call Alamo customer service, a sweet person told me that it was actually possible to rent child seat in the entire set of Florida and she did not know why that young lady who assisted us in the Alamo office said that. She was so helpful…….she said that I could go to Walmart or Target and buy one child seat really cheap and quick ( really? Are you kidding me? ) . I asked if that was a deal, if they were going to compensate me with any kind of discount so grab the child seat may worth it. SILENCE…….for a few seconds the answer was the same sound you can hear in the desert…… Anyway, we filled a complaint, it was supposed that we may get an answer in the next few hours or the day after. We got nothing, non surprising. Well, to wrap this review up, I can tell you that we finally made it. We did not make it through Sixt cause they did not have any option which fits but we found another rental car company not too far from that location where we rented a car + child seat eventually.

Stephanie Las Vegas, NV

Alamo Colorado Springs Airport customer service is the absolute best. They are friendly, kind, and forgiving. Especially when their customer (my family) cuts it too close returning the rental car with barely enough time to make our flight. 😳 We made our flight! We are very grateful for their kindness in an especially stressful situation. The pick-up and drop-off agents were both wonderful and so helpful. We highly recommend renting from Alamo COS—A++ customer service all the way! 🤗

Hyrum Sandy, UT

I've had great experiences with Alamo in the last year. Had a trip to Minnesota and picking up the car from the airport was painless. Had another trip to North Carolina and we signed up for a manager's special which guaranteed us a certain size vehicle, with the possibility of something bigger at no additional cost. We ended up getting a giant Ford F150 that was a blast to drive for the cost of renting a small sedan. I plan on using them in the future.

Jonathon Levitt San Francisco, CA

In the traveling world Alamo is known as the worst rental company. If you have a good experience you are literally a part of only 5% of their total clientele base. Pay a little more to save yourself from stress

Clark Savage Pompano Beach, FL

I have rarely had a good experience with a car rental company, but this one is among the worst I've encountered. I made a reservation with them through Expedia, and when I got there and was under the gun to leave, I was told the car I had reserved wasn't there PLUS they charged me nearly three times what the Expedia contract stipulated. They are bait and switch crooks as far as I'm concerned. Expedia's customer service team even tried to work this out with them and they were shocked by how ridiculously they treated me. Expedia eventually suggested I try to get my credit card company to get back the money and Alamo is doing everything it can to block that. It's a pathetic story, but I have learned my lesson and will never rent from these scammers again!

Scott A. Johnson Orem, UT

Alamo is a mid-range priced car rental agency with decent cars. They often run out of the class of car I reserve and so I often get a complimentary upgrade to another vehicle class. The employees are friendly and helpful. A couple times I have had issues with cars (like tire pressure lights on when picked up).

Gordon Mancuso Boise, ID

Alamo is OK. I got great prices when I used them through Costco travel. However, I had several issues with multiple rentals across different states. 1) I was sent a bill for a toll that I had supposedly gone through without paying. However I wasn't even in the same state as the toll on the day that it was recorded. While this is really Illinois' fault, Alamo could have taken a look at the picture and realized it wasn't the car I rented before billing me. 2) Alamo tried to charge me for severe damage to a rental that was not there during my rental, and was not caused me. This rental spanned only about 5 hours (the time it took to drive from Buffalo to Cleveland), and I never left the vehicle, and certainly never got into an accident. They ended up waiving the charge, but it was a stressful experience. So in the end all the issues I had got resolved, but it left a bad feeling about Alamo. Over 2 weeks, I rented 3 cars from Alamo, and had problems with the company on two of those rentals. I have rented cars dozens of times with Hertz and cannot recall even one issue like I had with Alamo.

Denise Riggs Midvale, UT

I recently rented a car from Alamo in Los Angeles. It was a great experience. We checked in at a self kiosk which was really nice as I didn’t have to listen to anyone trying to upgrade or have me add things on I didn’t want. We finished there and then were told on the screen to walk outside and to go in the parking lot and then to pick any car in our category. The car we rented was a 2020, had that new car smell. It was in perfect condition. The process was so easy and Alamo is my new favorite car rental company.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used Alamo rental car many times. I used to travel for work and I still do sometimes. I also travel to a lot of volleyball tournaments around the country and I usually get my rental car through a trip advisor agency or comparison and more times than not Alamo pops up. I started using Alamo for price, but now I know that they also have great customer service and easy in and out service.

Robin Orem, UT

i have rented with them 3 times and all 3 times has been a great experience. picked up at the airport rental. they workers already had the vehicle ready, cleaned and the car door to the driver seat was already opened for me. very pleasant workers who helped with our luggage. we found a great week deal. drop off was easy, worker was already standing there to check the vehicle in and we were on our way.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

I use Alamo when I travel and need a car at an airport. One time when I booked a car with then I was informed that there were no vehicles available. I told them I had a booking and was told that a booking was not a guarantee and a car would only be there for sure if I prepaid for it. Eventually I was given a car but it was in poor condition (burns in the seat cushion, and dirty) I consider prepay if I find limited cars available at the time of booking.

Doyal Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

I used Alamo when I was taking a trip with the family in California. We rented a really nice convertible and drove all over Southern California. Budget was very easy to work with, and had reasonable prices. I would use them again in the future.

Irinna Danielson Riverton, UT

When looking for an affordable rental car to fit our own family, Alamo has been great. The prices are good, the locations are convenient, often at the airports that we're flying into, and the vehicles have been in good condition. Good experience at an affordable price.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

We got an Alamo car rental a few months ago. It was very clean and easy to rent. We got the car we needed at a good price that fit our group and all of our bags. I would definitely use them again.

Nichole Hiatt Eagle Mountain, UT

We rented a vehicle in Florida last month and Alamo was great to work with. The car was clean and ran perfectly; customer service was friendly and even told us about a toll pass we could get that would save us money while we were there.

Oliver Sherren Provo, UT

Booked a Alamo car in Orlando but I found that the instructions were very unclear. Also, the price we paid for a tiny compact was ridiculous. After looking at prices on Turo.com, I don't think I'll be paying almost $80 a day for a car that can barely fit 4 people.

Kyle Johnson Portland, OR

Used Alamo at the San Diego airport. This was the smoothest experience we've had with any car rental. Very quick and efficient.

Nicole Johnson Portland, OR

We worried about renting in a pandemic, but we not only had a choice of cars, they were so clean and thoroughly disinfected!

Zabsanti Slidell, LA

I recently rented a car from this service and their services was very welcoming. Their staff was very patient with my non english speaking parents and they provided us with a very good car for our stay in that city.

Tim H Santa Clara, CA

I reserved a truck at Pittsburgh airport for a hunting trip. I requested a4 wheel drive since I would be driving thru some rough terrain in the mountains. I was told that there was no guarantee that I would actually get 4WD upon presenting myself at the counter but most all of their trucks are 4WD, so not to worry. Arrived at the counter & was told I was upgraded to premium and they had a 4WD truck available. I checked out, jumped in the truck to head to my destination only to find that I was lied to by the Alamo rep. The truck was NOT 4WD, but I had already rented it and was out of the airport. Upon exiting I asked where the 4WD button/switch/gear shift was located & the kid processing me out didn’t know. I would have gone to any of the half fixed agencies and rented what I wanted had I known this before committing to Alamo. I was lied to and have a bad taste over the whole experience! I had to bum rides from friends as this truck had inadequate tires and NO 4WD. I won’t be back Alamo...

Kristi Young Rockton, IL

I rented in Florida. Be aware that you will be charged a $3.95 ADDITIONAL charge for every day you incur a toll on a toll road, almost double the toll). Also be aware that in addition to the charges you pay when reserving the rental car, you will be charged for a list of services when you drop off your car (facility fee, concierge fee, surcharge recovery, wtf that is, etc.). In total, I ended up paying $376 to reserve, $135 at drop off + $12.72 for 4 electronic tolls, the service fees were 4 times what the tolls cost. I feel ripped off bigly for a 1 week rental. Not renting from Alamo again. Buyer beware. $477.72 = $67.67 PER DAY

Stacie ryker Nampa, ID

I rented a car from them and ended up paying way more than what was agreed!! I had to keep it one extra day because I had to rush my dad to the ER. I spoke to someone with alamo and they told me that was perfectly fine and take all the time I need.. well that was not the case!! They charged me over 100 more for one freaking day!!! Not to mention it will cost me even more because it over drafted my credit card! I guess it will be too bad for them because I will be renting cars quite often for the next year but I will NEVER RENT FROM THEM AGAIN! I've never left a bad review before but I am so disgusted with how they handled this I couldn't help but say something. Plus the gal that I returned the car to was rude and didnt even give a crap that i was so upset about the charges. I have worked in customer service for over 15 years and I would never treat a customer that way. Even if she wouldve said she was sorry and there was nothing she could do about it.. I wouldve felt better about the situation but all she said was well that's what I ran your card for. ALAMO NEEDS TO BE OPEN WITH ALL CHARGES PRIOR TO RUNNING SOMEONES CARD!!

Steve Campbell Scottsdale, AZ

Rental with Alamo 12/29 -1/3, pickup at airport terminal- O'Hara, Chicago, went well and the counter purchase with the rep was great. He even took the time to go with us to the car to put our luggage in the trunk. But the transport back on 1/3 about 7:30pm to the airport was horrible. The driver of the van was standing around when we dropped our car off at the return depot, He came over and took my wife's luggage and we had 3 bags with us. I continued to checkout with the rep and when finished, the other 2 bags were still at the back of the trunk, Ok I'm a guy. So I took them to the van and loaded them myself. The driver was sitting in his seat. We were the only people in the van. He asked us what airline we were flying and left for the terminals. But said he was making some stops before getting to our terminal. So we proceeded to the terminals and figured he would let us know when we should get off. He picked up 3 other people. When we left the last terminal he announced over the speaker that we should have gotten off the last stop, really. Why wait until you leave the terminal before telling us? And I guess you weren't going to help us with our luggage, not like Avis or Budget who I usually rent with. On the driver tag for the van his name said Wille? If that's his real name. When I asked him "now what are we going to do, I have to catch a flight". His response was that he could drop me off at another terminal and I can take another shuttle to the other terminal. My response was no and that I wanted him to take me back to the terminal where my flight departs. He did agree to take me there, but not until he dropped the 3 people back at the Alamo depot. Once we drove to the terminal again and this time I noticed that the truck had the announcements on for the terminals and the airlines being broadcasted, this was not on during our original departure. Once we reached the terminal, the driver did not even have the courtesy to help us with our bags -sad- and just sat in the driver seat- horrible. Sometimes the company is not about the product but the people and the people and service are the product- especially with a rental company. I've never rented with Alamo before and after this incident I will never use them again. My advice is that there are other rental companies.

Dayna Salt Lake City, UT

We had the best experience with Alamo for a car rental in Florida. Our car was super clean and practically brand new. The customer service was excellent!

Steve Jones Riverton, UT

I recently had my first experience renting a vehicle through Alamo and it was a decent experience. They have a great selection of cars at a great price. Customer service was great too. I will definitely use them again in the future.

mccandless24 Kaysville, UT

We used Alamo for our last car rental and I was beyond happy with the service and quality of our vehicle. The check-in was fast and we were in our vehicle in no time. Bringing back the car was just as easy in and out and on our way to catch our flight. Would recommend.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Alamo has always been super professional and care about my end price for the rentals I get. They are cost cost aware and look for great deals. I am impressed with the availability of different styles of cars as well.

Anne Tallahassee, FL

Got a free car upgrade and a discount due to my sister being a state employee.The customer service I received was good and the people were very helpful and patient, especially since our younger nieces and nephews were there.

Tom Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

When I have dealt with Alamo I have found their customer service representatives to be very friendly and helpful. Often times they offer upgrades to a nicer car for no added cost. They are also very competitively priced and are often located close to the airports I use. I use them as often as I can.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

As a frequent traveler, I find Alamo to be a rental company that is NOT everywhere you travel. They are only in certain places across America when traveling. They have a decent rewards member program where you can earn a 5% discount on your next rentals. This is ok for a rewards program, not great. The pricing is pretty good, nothing too expensive but also nothing too cheap. You can find an affordable nice car when you rent with Alamo.

Stephanie Brinton Lindon, UT

I have never had a problem using Alamo rental car company. I like to get a good deal with my rental car, but prefer to go with a reliable company. I usually pick Alamo as the best place for service and reliability at a good price.

Mario ,

had an amazing experience with this rental company! very good car with no problems both before and after.

bee tomaz ,

rented a car for 10 days and after one week they called my ex husband and told them the car was being repossessed because I had it for 7 days too long. wheni called they blamed Priceline.. very dissatisfied and my ex husband is causing drama for my family.. not cool at all. now they are saying the $12 a day price isnt valid and trying to charge me $450 when I'm struggling during the pandemic. horrible.

George Schwamb Brookline, NH

Myself and my wife went to Raleigh/Durham rented a car from Alamo car rental. The worst experience ever.we rented the vehicle two weeks ago and two weeks later they put the transaction through for the vehicle. The worst experience ever they rented a vehicle with practically no breaks and a tire blew. I would not recommend Alamo to my worst enemy. Never in my life have I ever rented a vehicle from any auto rental company and had that ever happened. On a 0 to 10 and 0 being the extreme worst that they could get I rate them a 0

Roger Coven Westwood, NJ

Called Alamo twice to get a price fur insurance. When I got to the counter in Mexico, I was charged twice the price that was quoted over the phone. I called Alamo customer service after the trip. NO HELP AT ALL. They claimed that insurance prices given over the phone are just an estimate. I was not told that on either of my 2 calls inquiring about the price. So Alamo is saying that they will not tell you how much it costs to rent a car from them! (Go to their company and keep your fingers crossed)

AF ,

It was good, but it seems like a few of the cars that I've rented from them have a faint smell of smoke. They just didn't seem as clean as some of the other companies I've rented from.

Randi Nelson San José, SJ

Alamo was fantastic while we had our vacation in Mexico. They had great costumer service and we were pleased with our experience and the price of the rental care

Sage Loveland Kihei, HI

My last car rental was with Alamo and my experience was flawless. No waiting in line, just signed a couple papers, picked my lovely car and was off. It was very easy and all employees were friendly.

Julie Taylor Ogden, UT

The car was clean and well maintained. The rental process took forever. There was only one associate there for most of the process and the line was huge. We had a long drive ahead of us and the wait for the car was so frustrating.

Amy Christian Las Vegas, NV

Alamo tends to have the best prices when I’m searching for car rentals. The pricing is upfront and doesn’t have weird hidden fees like other companies do. Easy to use kiosks

PessoaJ Herriman, UT

We have rented through Alamo multiple times and give them 5 stars. They always try to be quick and efficient and get you in your rental car as quickly as possible!

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

Alamo is one of my favorite car rental companies. They are at almost every location that I travel to and always have reasonable deals. The agents are always kind and helpful and they often offer free upgrades.

Maryn skinner Gilbert, AZ

Whenever we go out of town and need to rent a car we always use Alamo. The cars we have used are always clean and we have never had any problems with them. The employees are great and helping us get exactly what we want.

Sherri Rose Orem, UT

I use Alamo quite often. The prices are always comparable to others and the service is good. If I check and Alamo is the same price or cheaper than other car rental agencies, I'll always choose Alamo.

Derek Scoville Pleasant Grove, UT

I am all about the deal. I researched different rental car companies on my trip to Hawaii, but Alamo was the cheapest. It was easy to book, and easy to return. Great Value!

Jim Robinson Atlanta, GA

ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS, DISHONEST AND UNFAIR We rented a car for 5 days for 351.00. Changed the reservation to the next morning to drop off at a different airport same state where they have another office and they charged me OVER 2,000.00! They said there was NO ONE I COULD TALK TO as a supervisor. NEVER AGAIN.

Katie Lewis Eagle Mountain, UT

Alamo has been the best company to work with! Very professional staff. My car was ready when I got there