Intro to Yummly

Yummly was founded in 2010 by CEO, Dave Feller, because he wanted to end the frustration of not being able to filter recipes to exclude an item, specifically mustard. Feller joined forces with other “foodies” to help users find a recipe, shop for food, and share recipes with the community. With 15 million monthly visitors, Yummly is one of the largest food and recipes sites on the web.

Allrecipes.com chevron_right
3.7
Pinterest chevron_right
Food Network chevron_right

The Good

• Over a million recipes
  • Yummly blogs
  • Yummly Discuss
  • Extensive filtering tools including, with and without, popular, and difficulty level
  • Dietary restriction and allergy compatible recipes
  • Ability to post your own recipes

The blogs themselves are very useful for users. Yummly Dish publishes numerous articles on a variety of topics including kids and family meals, entertaining, and how-to's. Yummly Lab includes article focusing on the science of food and cooking in addition to news about the website.

Another great feature of the site is the unique filtering for searches. Yummly allows users to filter recipe searches using a slider bar which lets you control how sweet, salty, sour, etc. you want the recipes to be. The filter also lets you choose items to leave out of the search. This is useful for users when there is a particular food item that perhaps they are allergic to or simply do not like.

Additionally, an especially unique feature is the Just for You section. This section is compiled by the site as users "Yum" a recipe. This is similar to "Liking" on Facebook and once a user has accumulated "Yums" the site recommends recipes based on the user's tastes. This feature can be great for users when looking for inspiration for future meals.

Yummly also allows users who sign up with them to submit their own recipes and promote those recipes on other websites using the "Yum" button.

The Bad

• Submitting recipes
  • Visibility of filters

When we reviewed the website site we could not see the filters at first when searching the recipes. However this problem is solved when someone signs up for the website. Once a user has created a profile either using a Facebook account, Google+ account, or email they are granted access to the entirety of the website.

If a user does not sign up by using one of the methods listed. Recipes are not visible and you cannot search by filtering. Signing up for the site is the only way to see the actual recipes, however sign up is free and only takes a few moments.

Submitting recipes is the same. In order to contribute to the website and build a taste profile you must sign up with the website.

All in all this inconvenience is small and once a user is signed up with one of the provided methods the entire site is opened up for them. While some users may not want to sign up for a variety of reasons, it is also not uncommon for a website to require this.

The Bottom Line

We recommend signing up for Yummly. If you are interested in food, recipes, and meal creation Yummly can provide numerous options and articles created to make the most of your cooking experience. The sign up process is quick and worth it for "foodies" who want access to a large number of recipes. The unique filtering and profiling capabilities place Yummly at the top of the food chain.

1.6
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

Johnnie
August 20th, 2019 Yuma, AZ

I think its utterly ridiculous to force users to sign up with an email and password to see 1 recipe. Not worth it. Plus the password wont even work if you do sign up. Apps like these are a nightmare.

Ben
August 13th, 2019 New York, NY

This site has gone from ok to worse. What used to be a simple, clean cooking blog meta-search engine has become a bloated cash grab based on other people's efforts.

Copper pans
July 29th, 2019 Petoskey, MI

I signed up for Yummly and and my e-mail spam file EXPLODED with unwanted e-mail offers. I've also seen performance of my computer drop; occasional slow key stroke and mouse response. Malwearbytes scan is not finding any malware. Curious.

Piotr
July 10th, 2019

Utterly frustrating trying to find a recipe. Answer a million questions first, submit your email, no password is wrong. AAARGH No thanks

Excalibur
June 20th, 2019 Bradenton, FL

I will no longer even consider looking at Yummly for recipes. How idiotic that one must give them an email address to view their recipes. I did not like all of the questions in the beginning of searching, either, as I can peruse recipes and decide which ones I would like to see, myself. Very sad. If they have excellent recipes, why would I need to give them my email address to view them?

pdcrct
May 31st, 2019 Speedwell, VA

I hate this site, it's absolutely useless, I can never get to the recipes for all the ridiculous questions you have to go through and I never make it through, even though I try to skip everything, because there's ALWAYS an error message. It has to be the most aggravation site on the internet, don't use it, it does no good to try to get past the stupid questions to find anything useful.

Sam
April 22nd, 2019 Hastings, FL

I have never been able to use a recipe from this sight owing to the aggravation factor. when you go to the sight you have to answer a dozen questions before they let you get started. I was looking for peanut flour bread, after answering the questions I was told there were over 1,400 recipes. There is absolutely no way they have that many recipes for peanut flour bread.

Phil
March 15th, 2019 DETAILS

Dont join Yummly, they will send you never ending emails, when you click on something interesting they FORCE you to identify (LOGIN) yourself to the AI. When you unsubscribe and write a reply email to their tipsand tricks address to explain you will find it is FAKE and also they state they have a 4.9 of 5 star review rating, yeah, from their paid employees at a recruitment site called GLASSDOOR..... Dishonest, fake, corporate rubbish...stay away if you value ethics and honesty, cause these folk don't.

Yummms
February 6th, 2019

I love yummly, it's really convenient to be able to browse recipes that only follow your dietary requirements or preferences. Simply googling makes this more challenging. I'm surprised so many people are upset that you have to join, as most decent websites make you become a member. I linked my google account, and now I never have to log in and I've never received an email from them. Plus, how would you save recipes and remember which ones you liked best, if you didn't join? Bookmarks? Not a nice way to browse your favourite recipes in my opinion. The idea of having to leave yummly to read the instructions, is obviously being kind to all those bloggers who want you to visit their blogs rather than just use their recipes on another website. It doesn't discourage me at all that I have to click one more time to read a recipe. How lazy are you people?? I love the food filters, pretty pictures, reviews, and yums. Only problem I have found is that on mobile it often keeps scrolling me back up the list, which is some sort of glitch.

SG
January 11th, 2019 Northampton, MA

It's crap. Any valuable content comes from other sites. You're betting off Googling and avoiding wasting your time on Yummly pages. I'm going to block it from my Google search results.

Dwayne Meier
December 20th, 2018 Salem, OR

Yummly "Sucks" just want to view recipes. This page make you pick to narrow down ingredients, cooking method, time, ect. then wants an email to harass you with junk mail. Just want to look at recipes. Will not visit Yummly waste of time.

T Gilbert
December 20th, 2018 Novato, CA

Every other recipe site allows users access without the requirement to login. Why doesn't Yummly? If I really need to exclude some ingredient, let me login and use my profile. But, why not just let me look around and browse?

Trac
November 21st, 2018 Beverly Hills, CA

Yummly forces you to sign up with them before you can view a single recipe. They will not allow you to view any recipes until you sign up. Bad business.

Gabriele
November 1st, 2018 Alice, TX

Why do I have to create a profile to simply view a recipe. The owners are out of their mind if they think they will get more people to come and visit the site with all of these conditions. I just simply wanted to see the recipe. Why do you have to make it so complicated!

olderwiser1
October 24th, 2018

This is not an easy to navigate site although the photos are beautiful. Lots of questions, wasted time to log in and check back to your email, and when all is said and done, nothing can be printed. Too many Ooops and Unavailable messages. Lots and lots of other alternatives with great recipes to access with ease.

Marthinus Christiaan Kotze
October 22nd, 2018

An amazing service. Diet specific recipes and browser extension that allow you to add your own recipes you find across the internet.

Dee
October 22nd, 2018 Orlando, FL

I can put in my allergies, and my diet preferences and automatically get suggestions back that are soy free, dairy free, and vegan. There are options for pescetarian, vegetarian, and paleo. There are also options for more allergens. I can also save favorite recipes and send them directly to a shopping list.

Kelly
October 3rd, 2018

Next to impossible to find what you are looking for. It asks you a million questions over and over and is too complicated with sign ins and additional questions to be worth my time. If I saw they did a major overhaul, I would try it again, but as is it is an aggravating mess. No recipe is worth that.

Shari Evers
September 17th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Great recipes, a lot of the recipes require too much work. Especially on nights when I am in a rush!

Landon Robison
April 25th, 2018 Layton, UT

Great place to look for recipes. They have options for all types of food. Definitely recommend.

R Hristov
February 7th, 2018

A google search for a recipe would return every now and then a link to yummly. I keep on clicking on it, just to regret it. After asking a million questions, the user is eventually prompted with a log in screen. Bad, bad, bad web-site experience. Pity there is no negative stars. I will try to remember not to visit yummly again.

juris magone
January 8th, 2018

If there is log in only access to the website that should be made clear from the beginning. After being taken through some silly questionary (no choice of skipping that) you need to log in or create account or nothing happens. Very welcoming, thank you. That is by far the worst website experience I have encountered for long time. I don't know who is in charge of user experience for that website but they definitely have no or very little clue of what they are doing.

Jacinda E
December 15th, 2017 Sandy, UT

I have tried to use their website but they always ask for my email or download their app which I don't want to do. So I haven't tried any of their recipes.

D Griffin
November 17th, 2017 Canyon, TX DETAILS

Yummly forces you to answer tons of questions as it moves from screen to screen then forces you to be on their mailing list ... and still does not show the recipes related to your search ... the most appropriate rating would be a minus 10

Kirianna Russell
October 6th, 2017 North Bend, WA

Can't use the website unless you sign up for emails.. Which you then can't unsubscribe from. The option is there, but no matter how many times you hit 'unsubscribe' they keep on coming. Had to send them an email to get off their mailing list. I only wanted one recipe from their site - that is ridiculous.

Bonita Ryan
July 18th, 2017

I resent any site that demands you fill out a survey or submit your email address to look at their site. I just wanted a quick idea for some ingredient, while I was cooking, not spend 15 minutes filling out their surveys, only to be asked for your email address at the end of it, or you couldn't look at their site. Time is precious, especially when you're prepping a meal, not stuck on the computer filling out nonsense BS.

Sally Rector
May 23rd, 2017 East Carondelet, IL

What has happened to Yummly.com I'm not sure. Since the "upgrade" / change several months ago the site has operated terribly. Many crashes, slow loads, very difficut to sign in, and just difficult to use. I was willing to overlook so many things as it certainly was my favorite site to search for recipes. I left food.com for similiar reasons. Now I see food.com is speaking of a revamp of their site and I might just have to go back to them. Really a shame, this site was great.

Marcos Ciarrocchi
January 19th, 2017

Tons of recipes, great for looking up things on the go It's beautiful, and I love that it saves my filters so that I only ever see vegan recipes. I haven't tried the grocery list feature yet, but it looks useful too.

Laka kuharica
October 11th, 2016

They changed something on the website and I cannot log in any more. Links are simply not clickable. They try to pass it as if it is my fault and are not able to fix anything. So I am forced to quit. They are really bad.

tereas ciello
September 26th, 2016 Stone Mountain, GA

I couldn't get to the recipes for all the pop-ups and filters. NOT WORTH MY TIME. Then I went to submit it, and I'm told they have my information for their use. RIDICULOUS!!

Brenda Brueggemann
September 13th, 2016

Yummy only puts their own preferences of taste on my yum boards

Kari
June 20th, 2016 Kennett Square, PA

Horrible website...I do not want to download app onto my iPad....but the only way I can view recipes is using the app....when I browse using iPad it gives me a pop-up with no option to bypass. Guess your advertisers will never reach me.

Deborah
March 14th, 2016 Portland, OR

The app is faulty.when I do a search it doesn't bring up anything close to the words I type. When I get yummly email recipes you have to sign in for each recipe you want to save. Very time consuming and inconvenient