Allrecipes.com chevron_right
3.7
Pinterest chevron_right
Food Network chevron_right

The Good

The Taste of Home website contains numerous, great features which are very beneficial to users and members including:

• Thousands of Recipes
  • Dietary Restriction Categories
  • Extensive Filtering
  • Expansive Community and Forum
  • Expert Advice and How-To's

The Taste of Home website contains thousands of recipes collected from its magazine as well as sister publications and includes recipes from members across the country. The recipes are broken down into several categories including quick and easy, type of dish, and cuisine as well as special dietary needs. The advanced search feature is unique and is extremely helpful for users and members. The feature allows users to filter results using options such as ingredient to include and exclude, special diets, keywords, cook time, servings, cooking style, and course. This is a feature unseen on many websites and is a great feature for anyone who visits.

The extensive Community section is also unique to this website. While many sites have forums and Q & A sections, Taste of Home offers users a very inclusive environment where home cooks can get together and discuss cooking and entertaining, post their own recipes, save recipes for later, and a function which puts together a shopping list is provided.

The expert advice section in combination with the How-To articles is also another great feature and helps beginners develop their skills while offering tips which can improve a reader's cooking experience in general.

The Bad

Upon review, there are only a few items we would add to the Taste of Home website:

• A Menu Planner or Calendar
  • Difficulty Level on Recipes

Adding a menu calendar or planner to the website would assist home cooks and would pair well with the shopping list feature. A menu calendar would help the website's member create meal plans and menus for an extended period of time and could even help people stick to a healthy diet by offering them suggestions on what to cook for everyday meals. By linking a meal planner to a shopping list generator members would be able to plan out meals for their family and what they need to make them in one step, saving them time.

Assigning a difficulty rating to the recipes would also be helpful to users and members. The feature allows users to filter out recipes which they don't believe they could complete successfully as well as slowly growing their skills by attempting more difficult recipes gradually over time. This feature can also help users who feel very confident with their cooking skills locate recipes which will challenge them in a quick and easy fashion. Difficulty levels also help users filter out recipes which they simply do not have time to complete as they are usually more challenging.

The Bottom Line

We recommend this website to any home cook looking to develop their skills and connect with a community of similar individuals. The numerous recipes as well as extensive how-to's and inclusive community make the website a great resource for home cooks of varying skill levels and dietary needs. The few additions which could be made to the site do not overshadow the usefulness of the advanced search feature and the sheer number of recipes available.

2.9

KAT
October 8th, 2018 Schenectady, NY

I’d give ZERO stars if I could. I did NOT subscribe to this magazine and they sent me a bill in the mail, then gave me a hassle when I told them I didn’t subscribe. I was talked down to by their employees. Horrible customer service!

Dylan Findlay
August 28th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I have made several things from recipes I've found from Taste of Home. I like that the ingredients are nothing crazy and usually are things I have in my pantry.

Jacinda E
December 15th, 2017 Sandy, UT

I have used their website a few times only because I like their cook book. I have liked most of their recipes but some are not the best.

Mallory
July 17th, 2017

This used to be a great website, but they no longer have an advanced search feature or anyway to sort searches. I used to sort by rating or by award winning, now it is "most relevant" and that's questionable at best.. Search something simple like 'chocolate chip cookies' and it is at least a page before you actually find a chocolate chip cookie recipe. No longer a useable site.

Denise Huber
June 2nd, 2017 Mona, UT

I have actually made many recipes I found on Taste of Home. Recipes are great for families; not a lot of unusual or hard to find ingredients.

Carrie Razzano
November 25th, 2016 Alliance, OH

Made the pumpkin cheesecake on the November cover. It was awful. I Made it exactly the way the recipe read except baked it longer as it was jiggly and shiny so kept it in about 15 mins longer. Chilled it overnight and when I cut it, it was like cutting pudding. It should have been called pumpkin mousse. So many times I've tried new recipes from Taste of Home and follow them exactly and there is something always wrong. I give up and won't renew my subscription another year. I'll go to Pintrest instead.