Pinterest Logo

Intro to Pinterest

Pinterest describes itself as a “visual bookmarking tool used to discover and save creative ideas.” Pinterest became the world’s first “discovery engine” where users gather inspiration and then incorporate it into their daily lives. The company was founded in March of 2010 by Ben Silbermann, Evan Sharp and Paul Sciarra. Their goal is to help users discover new hobbies, personal style and plan important projects for their daily life and special events. The website and the apps are available in over 30 languages.

The Good

• Numerous categories
  • Searchable pins
  • Ability to pin your Favorites
  • Ability to create boards dedicated to specific types of pins
Pinterest is a unique site. The company acts as a hub for various forms of information including recipes, style looks, DIY, home décor, etc. Pinterest's self-given title of a "discovery engine" suits them well. They allow users to find these various types of information without having to search the web. A great thing about Pinterest is that it does the work for you. Instead of having to search the web or various websites to find the best recipe for a specific meal, you can compare results from across the web within Pinterest itself. The number of users increases every day and this allows those same users to see more and more pins, which increases the number of recipes you can find. Pinterest and the other users are essentially the user's legs and they walk the internet finding recipes and other items without the person having to search with an engine like Google or Bing. Pinterest, in terms of recipes, is also a good place to find a recipe which will fit your dietary needs. Using the search bar a user can look for recipes using specific terms such as dairy-free, low-sodium, and quick.

The Bad

• Filtering ability
  • Meal planning tool
  • Cooking techniques and tips
  • Cooking blog
While Pinterest is unique as it acts an information hub, filtering specific results by a number of categories is not available. You can use the search bar to find recipes however they are not displayed in a particular order and the user must rely on searching "tags" to locate recipes. There is also no meal planning tool or tips available. While individual recipes are accessible, creating a meal plan or learning a tip about how to prepare said item may not always be available. This is because when a user locates a recipe they must click off of Pinterest to view the recipe in its entirety on the original website. Additionally, the recipe has the chance of no longer being available on the original website. As a whole, we would not classify Pinterest as a recipe site. This site is a good place to find recipes but the site itself does not host them. They link you to the original website where you can view the recipe or item. This site makes it easier to locate recipes across the web however the recipe itself, any tips, and cooking information will be found on the original website.

The Bottom Line

All in all we recommend using Pinterest as a search engine. The site does make it much easier to locate recipes from a variety of sources but users should be prepared to encounter recipes which have been taken down as well as the necessity of visiting the original website to obtain recipe instructions and cooking tips.

Sicely Lyn Russell Mesa, AZ

I've found so many good recipes on Pinterest. You can even find healthy options too! It also helps that you can have boards within boards that way your recipes are more organized!

Shante Reeder Draper, UT

I could spend all day on here! It has been such a helpful tool when it comes to cooking, decorating, holidays, gifts, crafts, hair styles..... I could go on and on. I love that I can create boards for all the things I love, and it organizes them for me!

Summer Porter Managua, MN

Pinterest has got to be on of my favorite social media apps because not only does one have access to millions of recipes, but it is free! You can easily save or 'pin' your finds onto different boards which makes it easy and convenient to retrieve at later times. Pinterest is a mecca and I will continue to find inspiration and share ideas through it for a long time coming.

Brooklyn Bishop Los Angeles, CA

Every Pinterest recipe I have tried has been so yummy and good. The recipes are so easy and simple. I would totally recommend!

Londyn Berrett American Fork, UT

Pinterest is an awesome company. I use it ALL THE TIME!! I find creative crafts, activities to do, and recipes! You can lock your boards so no one can look at what you have saved (privacy). I have been a customer for about 2 years now. They have good customer service. I will be for many years to come!!

Eric San Diego, CA

Pinterest is kind of a one stop shop for anything DIY. They have great recipes for many different foods whether you are vegetarian or a full on meat eater. I used a lasagna recipe from pinterest that was absolutely fantastic.

Wendy Park City, UT

I love scrolling through Pinterest looking for recipes. I can always find new recipes that make me excited to cook dinner.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

Pinterest is a great website to go to for the best recipes for anything you can think of. Sweets, vegetarian, really anything you can think of. If you’re looking to spice up your meals, look to Pinterest!

Lindsey American Fork, UT

Love Pinterest! I have a ton of recipes pinned on my boards. You definitely have to pick and choose and try out the recipes, but it's a hit and miss. The actual website though, is wonderful.

Bergen Billings Smithfield, UT

You can find any recipe you would ever want! I could scroll though them all day looking through some of the best recipes things you wouldn’t even dream of.

MaryAnn Hagblom West Jordan, UT

I love That I can put in anything I want to eat and a recipe will come up. Many choices of different ways to do the same food. So it gave me a lot of options.

Mackenzie Gilbert, AZ

I can find all sorts of projects and inspiration and sort them into boards. I have a whole board for all sorts of recipes for when I am cooking dinner. It is a must have!!

Hayley Lambdin Orem, UT

They have some good recipes that are from other recipe sites. Sometimes, I can only find those recipes on Pinterest because it is too difficult to find on other sites. Its also very easy to keep my recipes organized.

Corinne Craig Eagle Mountain, UT

I can always find a delicious recipe using Pinterest! And I love that I can save them to a board and find them again easily

Madelyn Gulfport, MS

I love looking at Pinterest. It offers so many good things from exercise to recipes to motivational quotes. I could never get tired of it

Dylan Findlay South Jordan, UT

I can literally spend hours on Pinterest looking around at all the fun stuff! My favorite thing to do is to pin recipes...Love this website!

Tiffany Phoenix, AZ

I love that I can search for themes on this sight. It helps in brainstorming for a party or just getting ideas for dinners. It is a fantastic resource that I use often.

Jacinda E Sandy, UT

I love this tomato soup that I found on Pinterest and have a lot of other recipes saved to use for future use, especially for meal planning.

L. Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

I like the variety of recipes I can find on Pinterest and they are specific to my needs. I have found some rare and delightful recipes here that I couldn't find else where. I like how they are categorized as well.

cb Irving, TX

I use Pinterest for anything concerning home decor! I also use them for recipes and it saves me so much time and money!

Anita pea Dallas, TX

Pinterest has a variety of food choices you can make. the app is easy to use to find stuff but some of the items dont have recipes.

Natalia Correa MDTribe Tallahassee, FL

Pinterest literally has it all. You can also make your own boards depending on your interests. I love their site!

AmyConder22 Eagle Mountain, UT

Pinterest is my all time favorite app. I love using it for ideas of all sort. I have gotten so many ideas from there

Darbles32 Managua, MN

I can always find the best recipes on Pinterest because most of them are recipes that everyone loves so much instead of being influenced by others

Mykahla Nelson Managua, MN

I have used Pinterest for a lot of things but for recipes mainly and most of them turn out amazing !

Kristie Pierocich Long Beach, MS

Love sharing DIY ideas and trying out what others have done. It’s always fun to experiment and share pics.

Jasmine King Long Beach, MS

I personally think Pintrest has a sloppy design, and I've seldom found good content on there. The "Comedy" is lackluster, and the DIY's are mediocre, to say the least.

roxanne Millville, UT

I could serve Pinterest for hours and hours, I love finding ideas simply to extreme for my kids birthdays

Shari Evers Lehi, UT

I love everything about Pinterest! Recipes, diy’s, gift ideas, fashion...everything!

Aubrey Rentschler Salt Lake City, UT

I love the fun ideas and yummy recipes on Pinterest. It's nice to be able to keep everything in an organized online place.