Allrecipes.com Logo
LAST UPDATED: October 8th, 2021
In 1997, AllRecipes.com was launched by a group of web developers and University of Washington anthropology grad students. It has since become one of the largest digital food brands. AllRecipes.com has more than a million recipes, 18 sub-sites, 2 mobile apps, 14 eBooks, and serves cooks in 23 countries and 12 languages. Community members are able to share recipes, photos, reviews, blogs, and recipe boxes. AllRecipes.com has an average of 30 million global unique visitors each month.

The Good

AllRecipes.com's search function allows users to look for recipes based on keywords or phrases, included ingredients, excluded ingredients, meal, dish type, and time needed to make the recipe. Each recipe category is further divided into subcategories called collections to help narrow down results. When users click on Recipes in the top navigation, they are taken to a page with the following categories: Appetizer, Breakfast & Brunch, Chicken, Desserts, Healthy, Main Dish, Slow Cooker, Trusted Brands, Vegetarian, and a seasonal category. When one of the categories is selected, the user is sent to another page that has several recipe collections, each of which contains thousands of different recipes. When viewing recipes, users are able to click on a specific item in the ingredients list to add it to their shopping list. This feature ensures that users don't forget any ingredients when shopping. The recipe pages also include a Kitchen View, which changes the layout of the page so the ingredients and directions are side-by-side, so users don't have to scroll back and forth while cooking and risk getting food on their screens or keyboards. Allrecipes.com is the only site we reviewed that offers this feature. AllRecipes.com offers a standard membership and a Pro membership. The standard membership is free and lets users save recipes, create shopping lists and receive three different newsletters. The Pro members have the ability to change recipes to fit their needs, comment on others' recipes, and search for recipes based on nutrition - but the Pro account isn't free. In the website footer, there is a link to Customer Service. This page includes questions about membership information, the menu planner tool, The Buzz, technical support, cooking techniques, and more. There is also a section with the top FAQs, which range from login information to cooking questions.

The Bad

AllRecipes.com does not include levels of difficulty for its recipes. Users have to read through the recipes in order to determine if the difficulty level is within their capabilities. The site also doesn't have nutritional information readily available for free members. Pro members, however, are able to search for recipes based on nutrition. Allrecipes.com is the only recipe site we reviewed that charges for access to, or sorting by, nutritional information. AllRecipes.com does have ads on their site. Many of the ads featured in the sidebar don't relate to the content on the site, so they can be distracting while browsing the site.

The Bottom Line

AllRecipes.com is a useful tool for serious cooks who want to be able to alter and save existing recipes to fit their needs, as well as contribute to others' recipes. It's also convenient for those who are on the go: the menu planner and shopping lists are easy-to-use timesavers. However, Allrecipes.com may not be a good fit for users who are on a budget or concerned with nutrition information.

4.0

patty plumb Wenatchee, WA

This is my go to recipe app. I read the recipe then check the the reviews for changes that people make. I always get excellent ideas and make it my way and my family is happy.

Wayne Brown Guelph, ON

From looking at other sub - 3 Star reviews we all come to the same conclusion: when this site was bought out several years ago, any consideration of "User Experience" (UX in website design parlance) was abandoned for the principle effort of JAMMING more adds into the site. The recipes (which all come from Users) are tasty and pretty well laid out in terms of how to prepare them. The design and performance of the website bear all the hallmarks of an organization who has zero regard for UX, operation and underlying design. Be prepared to bear the frustration of fighting with the application in order to get what you're accustomed to in contemporary functionality in saving, organizing and managing your recipies!!

Rhona Leffler Olney, MD

Recipes in Allrecipes.com are consistently good. The ratings/comments are helpful when deciding to try a new dish. I appreciate that there isn't a big long story about every recipe and what it means to the person posting it.

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

Recipes are typically submitted by non-professionals, which means anyone can do it. Based on the number of submissions and star ratings, I can choose and print great recipes. I have never made a bad dish from the site.

certi2de Lexington, KY

I’m a huge fan of allrecipes for both new recipes and classics I’d like to recreate. The app makes it easy to save your own recipe box and separate recipes by category. I’ve been using this site for well over ten years and am still pleasantly surprised to find new recipes every time I log on.

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

I love using this site when searching for recipes. They have a great selection of recipes that usually turn out very good. I like to read the reviews before trying to make the recipe. Very easy and inspiring site to use! Highly recommend.

Kimmi Riverton, UT

I love using this site. I can always find a recipe or 5 with the same title. My favorite thing to do is read the reviews and see what alterations others have successfully made to make it even better. I've always had success with the results.

Angie L Hanzel Saratoga Springs, UT

When I'm trying to look for a last minute recipe, All Recipes is my go to site. I really like reading through the reviews and seeing the results that people had making the recipe. I also like that each recipe is ranked so I can search for most popular. Another great feature is you can list what ingredients you have on had and it will search for recipes that you can make with those items.

Shante Reeder Ogden, UT

I enjoy finding recipes on here and making them for my family. Easy to navigate website, and a huge data base of delicious stuff! I also love how people will go on and rate the recipe. I have found it really helpful!

Emily Tallahassee, FL

I like the community basis influence on this website. I think that the comments are even more important than the recipes themselves. Usually, it's tweaks that make the good recipes even better.

Molly Keogh Ogden, UT

My husband loves to try new food or have me make something similar to things he has had at restaurants. This website has been a lifesaver. We have found many dishes and desert we love on it.

Eliza Anne Jones Provo, UT

I have had so much success on Allrecipes. I made their banana bread bars the other day and they were delicious. You cannot go wrong with the recipes from Allrecipes.com. I would highly recommend it to any friends!

Londyn Berrett American Fork, UT

I used this website for a school project. We needed to find recipes on only this site and one other. It was very easy to use and I found some awesome recipes on the site. They were accurate, and easy to understand. Only problem was that it wouldn’t let me print a specific recipe. It was fixed the next day though. Definitely will use it again.

Mona Charles Brisbane, CA

I called AllRecipes customer service +1 833-272-O777__ and left messages twice and did not receive a callback, and I emailed [email protected] and attempted to follow

Emerald Scott West Jordan, UT

I look for new recipes all the time and this site has tons! Most of them are pretty good, but some are not so great. It is pretty easy to alter some of them to make them taste better though. It's a great place to start for new recipes though.

Coleen Daniels Myersville, MD

I am often looking on line for new recipes. I have found myself lately going back to Allrecipes ALOT! There is such a variety of recipes - ones that are simple and ones for that are a little more involved. Great site for all types of cooks!

Amanda Sherwood, OR

Love their site and app! Who needs a recipe book when you can find recipe on this site/app with review from people! Very large selection of recipes as anyone can post them! But I really like the review option as well so I can know what to expect and how to change a recipe a bit when needed.

Tiffany Phoenix, AZ

I love this website for finding new recipes and there are always helpful comments and reviews to help make making a new recipe go smoothly. I have found some family favorites here.

Breanna Jones Salt Lake City, UT

Such a huge selection of recipes. I like that each recipe has comments and reviews. I can find a recipe for every dish I am wanting to make. I don't think I have ever made something bad from All Recipes.

Robin Stamm Sarasota, FL

After years of entering recipes, writing reviews, blogging, and getting new ideas from this site, someone(s) on the allrecipes.com staff decided they needed to update their website. I'm only guessing they used 20-30 year olds who don't spent a lot of time cooking. The updated site has the following problems: • Users can't access all the recipes they've entered onto the site. • Emails with a link to a new review of your recipe don't go to the review: they go to the recipe. From there, you have to find the "reviews" section on the page. • When looking for new recipes, users can't sort by recipe ratings. • Users who've posted blogs in the past can't access them. • Blogs are now filtered through their staff and, so far, the one I wrote about the problems I'm having with their new site hasn't been posted. This used to be an incredibly user friendly site. Now, it's more focused on the look than ease of use and content. A perfect example of turning marketing over to those who haven't got a clue about what it's like to be a cook (or an iPhone user ... but that's another story).

Anne Starley Mukilteo, WA

Great site! You can find recipes for pretty much anything. Always plenty of reviews of those who have tried it so you get an idea of what you are getting into/how it's going to taste.

Michelle Hawker Las Vegas, NV

This just happens to be the site that most often pops up when looking for a recipe. I usually compare reviews of the recipe I'm looking for then go with that one. It often is from Allrecipes.com I have been happy with the recipes I've used.

Wendy Park City, UT

Allrecipes.com is a great place to go to get recipes! The recipes are easy to understand for someone who is new to cooking, like I am.

Zabsanti Slidell, LA

I use this website for any of my recipes that I'm trying to find. I discovered an extremely good receipe of a crawfish bisque that was a killer at my family dinner.

Rob Whipple Mesa, AZ

I regularly find recipes that I enjoy on this site. Good explanations and pictures that help. Easy print function. Go to site for recipes.

Shari Evers Lehi, UT

It seems like whenever I google a recipe All Recipes is the first one that pops up! I’ve tried several of their recipes and haven’t been disappointed yet.

Cathy California, KY

I had tons of recipes saved and categorized. They've disappeared! I had a paid membership. I loved the site until it changed hands. Now there are ads, ads, ads! Ugh! The last thing I want to deal with while preparing a meal. Especially during the holidays. Good bye Allrecipes. I miss the way you used to be. By the way there is a site I found that I'm liking called GeniusKitchen.com

Lindsey American Fork, UT

I haven't paid for Allrecipes.com, because I've only done recipes that were free after google searches I've done. The recipes are generally easy and yummy!

George Pond Orlando, FL

I was a Pro member for years and used AllRecipes hundreds of times. I recommended it many times to others. Now my favorite feature... the ability to select and print reviews along with the recipe... is gone! It had been so useful to print out a recipe that included suggestions from other cooks... especially their suggestions for ingredient changes and their comments about seasoning the dish. I'll check back on AllRecipes from time to time, but for now, it seems that the site is less useful than many other recipe sites out there. Goodbye for now, AllRecipes.

David C Morrow

BOO HISS!!! This USED to be the best foodie web site, but have changed ownership sometime during the last year and DROVE IT INTO THE GROUND!!! I had a whole catalog of saved recipes, half of which I customized and made my own. You can't even edit recipes you created any more. Print options are all screwed up. I read from some comments on the site they have been "working on it" for over a year now......NOPE!!! I'll take my bidness elsewhere!!

Steven Barnes

I've been using Allrecipes for IOS for years and have lived it and depended on being able to view my recipes and search for new but the last few months have proven to be futility because it either crashes when I get to where I want or locks up the screen. I use IOS 10 on an iPhone 6 Plus using The Dinner Spinner 2.0.4. Is there any help?

Melinda Portland, OR

Like other reviewers I used to LOVE this site. It's now so difficult to use. Definitely seems designed for a look not for real use. It's now very difficult to add your own recipes - you used to be able to edit a recipe and save it or view it in recipe card format so it was easy to cook right from the recipe on the computer. Now it won't let you do that. Such a waste!

Jeff Martin Layton, UT

My wife uses this a lot to find recipes. And they are always delicious. That is my wife's cooking but it's also the recipes. So, consider checking it out!

Darbles32 Managua, MN

The name is exactly what it has, allrecipes has had every recipe that I have needed and I love looking at the comments on the recipes

Aunt Cathy Bay Saint Louis, MS

I see their recipes on FB.. 8 out of 10 are usually a quick meal to fix on a busy night and are enjoyed

Dylan Findlay South Jordan, UT

I can always find a great recipe here. Always plenty of reviews to help me decide what I should make.

Hayley Lambdin Orem, UT

Allrecipes is a great source for when I am trying to find a new cookie recipe to make for my husband who can't resist my baking.

sharon Pittsburgh, PA

Allrecipes WAS the best recipe site. The new and "improved" site is TERRIBLE. Not user friendly at all. I've tried to get used to the new site, but it just does not work. Sad to see such a great site site go down in flames. RIP allrecipes.

Martha Sensiba Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ

I love the recipes I find here. I can always find a good recipe because they have ratings so I know I won't get one that won't turn out.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

I like using Allrecipes.com because when I don’t have time to pull out an old recipe book, I pull up the website and it’s easy to find what I need.

L. Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

When I am looking for a recipe for supper this is usually the sight that I go to. They recipes are easy to follow and are yummy.

Samantha Millville, UT

I used this all of the time when I was trying to find a recipe for a class I was teaching at the time. It is quick and easy to navigate!

Schon Smithfield, UT

I’ve found many recipes on this site. The instructions are easy to follow and we’ve made many meals and desserts from what we’ve found.

Sandy Seaside, OR

This is the number one place I go to on-line for a recipe. I love how they rate the dish, so you trust to use the recipe.

Jesse Rice Biloxi, MS

I love this site I have gotten recipes for all seasons and there cookie recipes are great.

Kristie Pierocich Long Beach, MS

I love having the ability to rate recipes and share what I changed and how my family liked it.

Adam Eastpointe, MI

Just a great website with endless recipes. When I want to try something new I come to this site.

Heather Holloway Saint Joseph, MI

The recipes are nice and easy. My favorites are the chicken recipes and the salads.

Jacinda E Sandy, UT

I have used many recipes from this site and all of them have been delicious and easy to use.

Jennifer L Redondo Beach, CA

Clearly many recipes not proofread; errors; technical issues such as videos not working, and clearly no staff members monitoring or answering any of the user questions. Do not recommend.