Zillow Logo

9.5

LAST UPDATED: September 20th, 2021
Zillow was developed as an online real estate search engine that was incorporated in 2004. It was created by Rich Barton and Lloyd Bring, former Microsoft gurus who were key in the development of the Expedia website. Spencer Rascoff serves as the company CEO. The company has data on over 110 million homes in the United States, in addition to the 2 million that are currently listed on the website for sale. The site offers value estimates on homes, gives key data on how the price of a home will change over a given timespan, gives aerial views of homes and helps customers find data on similar homes that exist in the same search area. The website accesses basic public data on a home and also gives information on the square footage and number of bedrooms listed in a home. If a home has a recently added feature, such as a renovation, this information is also tracked on the website for the home. Zillow also has API integration and developers can also network Zillow's search feature into websites developed for other realtors. Zillow has a unique functionality that is not found on many realtor websites. The "Make Me Move" feature is a great way to get a pre-market price on the home out there. One of the nice features of the Zillow website is the rental search feature, which was launched in 2009. The website doesn't list as many rentals as homes, but this helps renters find an affordable website. Zillow is also used to power other key real estate search paradigms, such as AOL Real Estate and MSN Real Estate, in 2013 and 2014 respectively. Zillow also was one of the first companies in the industry to begin using apps to access its real estate search database. Here is a list of apps available and the dates that they were launched:
  • April 2009, iPhone app
  • March 2010, Android app
  • April 2010, iPad app
  • March 2011, Blackberry app
  • July 2012, Windows phone app
  • November 2013, Windows 8.1 app.

Hubzu Logo
#2 Hubzu chevron_right
2.8
Realtor.com Logo
#3 Realtor.com chevron_right
3.9
Apartments.com Logo
#4 Apartments.com chevron_right

The Good

• Search functionality
  • Apps
The first thing that we noticed about the Zillow website was its functionality. We liked the number of listings that we saw available. The search feature is also easy to use. Site users can do multiple types of searches. It is possible to search by address, state, map, type of home, rental or home purchase, the number of bedrooms in a home, and other search criteria. It also includes a "Make Me Move" price, where customers can see new homes that are just starting to enter the market. Another thing that we liked about the website was the feature that lets users see factors that increase a home's values. Price valuation increases in a home can be projected for a 5- or 10-year timespan. Also, the site lists recent renovations to a home that may also increase its price. We also liked the number of apps available for Zillow. When we looked at apps in the industry, many of the apps were only geared for the iPhone. We saw apps available for the iPad and Google tablets as well. The Zillow app is very flexible to use on the Windows 8.1 phone, a major plus in our opinion, given the Zillow functionality of the MSN Real Estate website. We found that the Zillow "Zestimate" was also accurate. We looked at homes on the website and then checked these prices with real estate websites and other listings. The Zestimate feature allows users to see a price that is projected based on several factors, including prices of homes that are also going in the same search area. Zestimate, however, is not always accurate. One of the problems that we found with "Zestimates" was that the price accuracy varies by location and current offers if buyers are negotiating for the home.

The Bad

• Customer support
  • Zestimate accuracy
One of the things we noticed right away was the lack of support available for the Zillow website. They don't offer a toll-free number for customers to call in. There is also no live chat app for customers who are looking for information about a particular home. Another problem that we found with Zillow was that the Zestimate and home prices listed on the website was not always accurate. We found that a homeowner who rented had lost income on a property because the property was incorrectly listed as being "in foreclosure." The client asked to receive funds to help compensate for their losses, but Zillow responded by saying that their information is received from third-party sources. We found that the pricing critiques of the website hinged on the following factors:
  • Some data used to compile the Zillow price estimate can be as old as twenty years and is based on old bank data, public data, and sales transactions.
  • Only 65% of Zillow's listing stock can be considered "accurate," according to Fortune magazine.
  • Real estate agents and brokers are more likely to know the most up-to-date and factual information about a home that is listed for sale.

The Bottom Line

Overall, we would recommend Zillow as a website for listing your home or looking for a new home. Here is what we liked about Zillow's website:
  • Accurate data, for the most part, that is compiled from trustworthy and up-to-date public sources.
  • The "Zestimate" price that is listed for homes.
  • The search functionality of the website.
  • The ability for site users to ask real estate questions in a public forum.
  • The map feature and aerial views offered for homes.
  • Price valuation information for a home that is listed in timespan intervals.
  • Rental listings that are almost as extensive as sales listings.
We saw a pattern of complaints such as occasional inaccurate price information for a new home. Some landlords lost money due to homes being listed as "in foreclosure" on the website when they were in fact not. Also, we had concerns with some property information on the website, especially bank data, as being as much as two decades old. Even though Zillow gets its information from third-party sources, more supervision of the data is needed to ensure its accuracy.

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

I like that Zillow offers a tool to filter houses by a variety of characteristics. When I was helping my brother find a home in Oregon, the up-to-date nature of the application was nothing short of helpful. I find that, despite other home search applications, I always find myself returning to Zillow because of its accessibility. I really enjoy the emails about changes in the market price of homes, it really keeps me in the know.

abw fsu Tallahassee, FL

Zillow is easily one of the best website for finding a home! I love how specific the filter and map functions are. I can see EXACTLY where the property is, which leaves little room for doubt or ambiguity. I also like that I can specify whether I am looking to rent or own a home/apartment. I feel like a big misconception is that Zillow is only for grown people who are looking for somewhere to start a family and settle down but this is so wrong! Zillow is great for young people who are starting a new job or phase in their academic career, to find an apartment within their price range without worry of being scammed. Zillow is a great resource!

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

Great for looking to buy or rent property. As one of the bigger platforms you can truly see a large percentage of the available properties in an area with a great range of filters.

JJ Jenkins Phoenix, AZ

Zillow is one of the best companies for buying and selling homes. They keep homes listed even if they are no longer for sale so that you can go back And find out Facts about homes even after they have sold. They give reliable Information and photos for homes in the area that you are looking to buy or sell a home property.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Zillow is one of the best places to look when trying to find homes. We are searching for homes right now, and we have found the most there. It is easy to pick what you would like to see and bring up certain things that youd like in a home!

Ajanaee x Tallahassee, FL

Zillow makes it easy for me to discover properties across the nation. Any time I'm looking to move, I make sure to view Zillow listings to find my next rental property .he website is very user-friendly and provides both affordable and luxury properties.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I used Zillow to look for my son an townhouse. The app was very user friendly. We were able to book our viewing appointment very easily. Will definitely use it again.

courtney tennant Salem, VA

Zillow has a very convenient way to filter homes or whatever else you are looking for. I wish they would update the app a little bit more, but other than that, it is amazing & I look through it all of the time.

Kelly Stanley Orem, UT

I’ve used Zillow every time I’ve moved apartments and it is fantastic. It gives pictures and so many details about the locations that you almost always know whether or not you would like the place

Kelsey Hudson Salt Lake City, UT

Is there anything more convenient than Zillow? I love having the capability to look up neighborhoods and homes, especially when I'm in new areas. Zillow has all the important data listed for each home.

Brooklyn Jensen Provo, UT

I used Zillow to look at homes in San Jose, CA. It included a lot of pictures of the homes as well as a lot of useful/important information such as the value of the house over time and what features the house has.

Britni Laidler Lindon, UT

I love looking at real estate options through Zillow. It is easy to navigate and has a clean appearance. I love that if I see a house in a new area, I can search homes for sale in the location I am in, and see a great variety of homes.

Deanna Ryde Madison, WI

Zillow Home Loans was wonderful to work with. The process was smooth and quick. They gave us quick responses to questions. The closing was one of the quickest we and our closing company have ever experienced. I would definitely recommend them! As an experienced real estate agent, I have worked with many mortgage companies and this is one of my top picks!

Steve Salem, VA

Zillow is very easy to use. I use it constantly to check real estate value in areas I have an interest in. The maps they show are great at showing the location of properties

Keiana Knowles Tallahassee, FL

I used Zillow to help my grandparents find a new home in my area and they made the process very easy. They also provide great details about their houses

Michelle Burke Folcroft, PA

I was connected with Megan J while looking to buy a starter home. She was SO knowledgable and patient with my THOUSANDS of questions as I was a first time buyer. I couldn't recommend Megan and Zillow enough.

Megan Roper South Jordan, UT

I love how user friendly the website is. They also noticed I was looking at many homes so they had a customer service rep to help me with any questions I had during this crazy time of buying homes.

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

I have been using Zillow for the past two years as we have been back and forth in the home search. The search filters have been very helpful to find homes in the price range, size range, and locations that we are looking to buy a home. One of my favorite parts about using Zillow is that I don't get bombarded with ads after being on the website.

Derek Vasquez Tallahassee, FL

Zillow is a great website for reviewing the available real estate in an area. It is an easy app and website to navigate, and it has always had a lot of options. I recommend Zillow for anybody trying to find a new place, or for anyone who wants to look at beautiful homes!

Jade Knowles Tallahassee, FL

Zillow was an amazing help in finding my parents a home after my siblings and I moved our for college. My parents are a little old school, but Zillow made it very easy for my parents to find a home in a safe neighborhood and enough space for them to live and meet new people. Great experience will and I will use again!

Elisabeth Kinghorn Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love using Zillow for my real estate searches! It is super easy to use and provides a lot of really important and convenient information about each property and the location. I found my current apartment by using this website and am very happy with it!

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

Zillow found my husband and I had a little house of our dreams. It is so easy to use and so clear! You can search by whatever characteristic you’d like. My favorite feature is the map search, which lets you search for homes based on their location. The pictures are always great quality and the realtors and sellers are easy to contact. Response time is wonderful!

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

Zillow provides a fast and easy way to look at the housing market. Some of my favorite features about zillow are the market summaries and details. I also like being able to look up house price estimates as I am driving by. This helps me feel informed in real time. I use this app a lot because of that. I also found my first home through Zillow so I am forever grateful for the app.

Yolanda Queer Shelley, ID

I love Zillow! Their website is easy to use and they give lots of information about the listed properties.

Raven Royal Sandy, UT

Zillow is an amazing site. It is so easy to use and has so many options. Definitely one of the best ways to find homes.

Fred Frontino Mesa, AZ

I've used Zillow for years to find several rental houses and then I found my permanent house I bought last year. I also use it for my work when I need to take a quick look at a property. I am very pleased with there service.

Jenetta E Provo, UT

Used Zillow to find a new rental in my area. It was nice to have at least some bit of confidence that the places we would find would be legit and it was great to have one website that we could find several options on.

Yanesezah Fenelon Delray Beach, FL

Zillow is a great option for people looking for homes if they do not have the funds or access to hire a private real estate agent. The website is very easy to use and navigate. It provides a lot of valuable information.

A E B Damascus, MD

Competitive interest rates, fast and easy closing. Very professional team of experts to assure customer satisfaction! Reliable, reachable pretty much all the time. They definitely know what they are doing!

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Zillow gives a wide range of homes on the market. Recently I inquired about a new construction home and I was able to send my message thru their site immediately. Received a message and call by the next day.

Rhona Leffler Olney, MD

I like the option to look up properties on the market without being hounded by a real-estate agent. The search engine really lets you narrow down properties that fit your criteria.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I have been using Zillow for a couple of years to monitor houses for sale in areas that I am interested in moving to. Zillow gives a lot of feedback to the users. It let's you know how much the houses are going for, what it was sold for, average statistics and demographics in the area. There are usually pictures listed as well. There is also information on who to get in touch with for properties that you are interested in.

Jessica Chen Rockville, MD

I use Zillow to look at houses and compare house prices. Recently, my parents have been thinking of moving, so I definitely use Zillow to look at houses and house price around my county. Zillow is great in providing information like the size, price, and num of bathrooms and rooms which is great for helping users who are finding houses.

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

A very good program to identify homes for sale in an area of interest. Only problem I have found in the area of "valuation"....most of the times they are under the going market prices. A really good place to start in the "home hunting" adventure.

Becky Gilbert, AZ

Zillow is super easy to use and allows the general public to look for homes in the area they area interested in buying. It offers a way for homeowners to sell their house without a realtor. The only downside is the on slot of realtors who call you once you list your home. Pretty obnoxious.

BaiLeY WiLsOn Dickinson, TX

I used this for my real estate internship and it helped me find properties quickly

Desi Bramwell Norwalk, OH

Zillow is easy to navigate and shows great homes that I would actually be interested in.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

This past summer we were in the middle of the craziest housing market, thankfully we had Zillow! We were on Zillow all day everyday looking at neighborhoods and using the zestimate as a good reference pint in areas we were not super familiar with! Zillow was a key component of finding our home! I also used Zillow to rent our unit on our rental property and it is amazing! I love how they have an application all ready for you to use and how easy they make the process in communicating with potential applicants.

Terin Layton, UT

We have been using Zillow a lot recently since we are buying a home. Zillow is a great resource for a home buyer because their website has so much information! Each listing tells us everything we need to know about the home, the property, the community, etc. You can often times read what the seller loves about the home, that’s one of my favorite parts. I would highly recommend Zillow!

Brooklyn Bishop Smithfield, UT

Zillow is a great way to look for houses in the area you want. You can type in the area and it will show all the houses available in that area. It gives prices and has very high quality pictures of the houses.

Lex Midway, UT

I like Zillow cause I like to look at houses that i wish i could by and yearn for the life of others :) They also make it easy to choose everything you want in a house and narrow it down

Tia Maria Atlanta, GA

I love that houses listed on the market are quickly uploaded to Zillow. The site is easy to use. I like the Zestimates. It's a great starting point usually. I love that it's free!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Zillow is industry leading in search tools in real estate. I found that they had more variables to choose from, more options and more comprehensive search results. I made Zillow my choice tool when I was in the real estate market. I will do so again very soon.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

Using Zillow was a great resource for my wife and I, as many listings on there or not on the MLS. Even though we had a realtor, we found the property that we most like through Zillow. When it comes time to rent in a year, will be using Zillow again

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

Zillow is hands down the best place we have found to look for homes. It is easy to use and find homes and most of the homes have all of the information that you would need to make a decision. Because there are so many users- there are lots of choices. I have never had issues with the app

Hannah Burke Rexburg, ID

This gave me a good range of homes and was easy to scout an area

Desiree Pleasant Grove, UT

Our family found a house because of Zillow. Zillow is a great resource if you are looking for any houses for sale or for rent based on which location you pick. I love how we can find our agents on there. It's super neat and useful when you are house hunting!

Sarah Fayetteville, AR

Zillow made searching for an apartment so easy. I really enjoyed how I could easily contact the agents within the app, making searching for my next home that much simpler! Plus, the app is updated in real time with new listings, so I was always up to date.

Grant Conrady Fayetteville, AR

I found my current apartment on Zillow! I really loved how easy it was to search for specific characteristics that I was looking for in an apartment. Their website is very polished and easy to navigate. I highly recommend using Zillow to help you find your next apartment or home!

TeaSpillin Salt Lake City, UT

I am reluctant to use any other real estate platform, Zillow makes it so easy.