TouchBistro

7.3

TouchBistro is an iPad point of Sale (POS) company providing POS software features to restaurants since 2010. Its POS systems are high-quality and allow for business owners to be more efficient at or away from the table. The company asserts that its employees work days, nights, and weekends—just like its hardworking customers. TouchBistro also offers in-depth training and 24/7 expert technical support to help users to understand the array of POS solutions that it provides.

The Good

• Specializes in Restaurant POS
  • Easy to Use Software
  • Free Trial
  • Integrations
  • Reasonable Fees and Contracts
  • Customer Relationship Management
  • Restaurant Inventory Management
  • Reports and Analytics
  • Automatic Updates
  • Additional Features
  • TouchBistro Reviews

Specializes in Restaurant POS

During its inception in 2010, TouchBistro saw the need for an affordable and easy-to-use POS system that caters to the needs of the food industry. The iPad-based POS system has become popular in the food service businesses from fine-dining restaurants to food trucks.

Easy to Use Software

Because TouchBistro ruses Apple iPads, anyone familiar with a smartphone or tablet can easily learn and use the technology quickly. This restaurant POS allows managers to run close to all of the business from an iPad or mobile device using an App. Unlike a number of POS providers that use a cloud-based restaurant POS system, the Touchbistro POS software uses a hybrid approach to the cloud system. The cloud can be used, but is not relied upon. Managers can create schedules, make menu edits, clock employees in and out, perform card transactions, view past purchase orders, and much more from just a mobile device. Its popularity among smaller food service establishments is in part due to its ease of use.

Free Trial

TouchBistro offers a free trial for restaurateurs who are curious about how well the POS software technology will integrate into day-to-day operations. This is a common concern with businesses of all sizes, so a free trial is a great way to alleviate any possible trepidations.

Integrations

The TouchBistro app integrates with multiple third-party programs and offers complete payment/credit card processing freedom so companies can compare rates and get the best deal. Some TouchBistro integrations include:

• 7Shifts
  • Star Micronics
  • PayPal
  • WooCommerce

Reasonable Fees and Contracts

TouchBistro's fees and contracts are not only reasonably priced, but extremely convenient for restaurant owners, especially for those who may only be open seasonally. The monthly fees vary by the number of licenses a business uses, with each license being one terminal, or iPad, in use. The fees are:

• $69/month for 1 license
  • $129/month for 2 licenses
  • $249 for 3-5 licenses
  • $399 for 6 or more licenses

These costs are all-inclusive, and TouchBistro does not charge for add-ons for features or for customer service and support, nor do they charge for hardware or payment processing. Those using TouchBistro only pay for the licensing periods which they use, so those who may wish to suspend service for periods of time are more than welcome.

Contracts are not required: You may use the service month-to-month or through an annual contract. While TouchBistro does offer incentives for entering into an annual contract, it is not required.

Customer Relationship Management

The success of many restaurants and cafe's rides on returning customers. One of the ways that TouchBistro has worked to establish long-lasting relationships with customers is through the customer loyalty program and excellent customer support. As members of this program, staff can create customer profiles to help other employees know small details about frequent visitors. Some information that can be recorded is: What the customer likes to eat or drink, what time the customer typically comes into the restaurant, where the customer likes to sit, past purchase orders to have an idea of what they might want. These customer profiles help both the customer and the employee to have a satisfactory experience.

Restaurant Inventory Management

Have you ever had to tell a customer that the specific dish that they had ordered was no longer available due to a shortage of ingredients? You don't have to do that anymore. The real-time inventory feature of this restaurant POS takes into account how much of each ingredient on hand was used in each meal and alerts employees when ingredients are running low or if they run out. This allows for servers to let guests know in real-time what dishes are unavailable thanks to the inventory management feature.

Reports and Analytics

TouchBistro restaurant POS software allows business owners and managers to generate reports on transaction history, sales increase, service improvement, and inventory to name just a few. A number of reports can be programmed to generate automatically with real-time reporting and are exportable and shareable. These reports can be generated on the iPad App, or using the mobile POS App created for iPhones.

Automatic Updates

Using the iOS app can be very quick and very effective. One of the newer features of this pos system is its automatic updates. Though these updates are helpful, it is important to make sure that they are turned off during business hours to ensure that your pos system does not start updating the software during the middle of a shift.

Additional Features

Touchbistro POS offers self-ordering kiosks, self-service POS terminal, sale software, restaurant POS software, tableside ordering, POS software systems, menu items, quick service, inventory management through mobile POS, POS solutions for easier transactions, restaurant management (for both fine-dining restaurants, quick service restaurants and coffee shops), table management, credit card loyalty programs, menu, cash register, and cash drawer features, a receipt printer, a card reader for credit cards, debit cards, and gift cards, etc.

TouchBistro Reviews

The reviews that we have received for this company have been fairly positive ranking this company a minimum of 4 out of 5 stars. As a restaurant point-of-sale solution it has provided excellent customer services to a wide variety of people through its software.

The Bad

• Works Exclusively with Apple
  • Only for Restaurants

Works Exclusively with Apple

Though it doesn’t limit the company's target audiences (since so many business owners are already using Apple products), the iPad App and general Touchbistro software does exclude Android users. If your mobile device is an Android, this is not the point of sale solution for you. Restaurateurs who are interested in TouchBistro’s POS products and service will have to make the switch to Apple in order to get the full extent of the services provided.

Only For Restaurants

If you are looking for retail POS, small business POS, or other business or sale POS, this is not the product for you. The POS software has been created specifically to service transactions, organization, and inventory for the food industry. Most retailers, store owners, and business owners don't need menus, seating, individual ingredient inventory, and other specialized features for restaurant POS systems.

The Bottom Line

TouchBistro is an iOS point of sale software favorite for restaurateurs and others working in the restaurant industry, and for good reason. Its extensive compatibility with third party software and its payment processing freedom makes it versatile and affordable enough for any business looking for a POS solution in the food service industry. Though it only works exclusively with Apple hardware and software and is not meant for retail stores or small businesses, it works so well with the operating system that it’s become a household name in food service. As long as customers are comfortable with the upfront fee, we recommend food business owners consider TouchBistro alongside the other top restaurant POS companies.

View Best POS Companies

Mike Colas

I did my research on different systems before going for them. This was all in 2015, so it was pretty new back then and there were few companies that offered the service. After talking with their salesperson I decided to just go with it. What convinced me in the end was that it didn't require me to have a special computer or anything to use it, all I needed was an iPad. I've been happy to have them ever since. Everything with the software works well, though there's always room for improvement. The one thing I'm not too happy about is the fact that they had to change the contract at one point. We were one of the first costumers, so we were promised that the price would not go up. In the end, things had to be changed though and they had to rewrite the contract and increase the price a little. I wasn't too happy about that but at the end of the day, it is what it is.

Cori Struck

We have a small bakery and we heard from a local coffee shop about the service. We were told that they were quite user friendly, so we went with it. Usually customer service is great, but lately it takes me forever to get a hold of somebody. I mean, if I call with an urgent matter they are readily available, but if it's not it takes them a day or so to call me back. The other day I had a couple of questions and it took them that long to answer me.

Janet Mcintyre

Our chef was actually the one that made the decision to use touch bistro. They just thought it looked like a really good system for us, so we got it. Overall it's pretty good, we're pretty happy with it. The system is pretty good for taking orders. There are a few things that we feel they could do a little differently when it comes to the reporting though.

James O'Donnell

I went with them since it's basically just an App that stays updated all the time. Though, a lot of their technicians don't really understand how to integrate the software with payment gateways and such. Usually when I try to figure out things like that I get bounced back and forth from rep to rep. They also don't really answer the phone, it's faster if you email them. The software is good, though it would be great if there were in App instructional videos and stuff like that.

John Nagy

They were one of the companies that came up when we were researching the services. Since we're Ontario based we were thrilled to support a local Canadian company. Every time we've needed anything they've been right there to help us out. Their billing is always timely, which is great because it helps us keep track of things and keep everything together. They are constantly updating the system. They should just keep up with the great work they're doing and if we ever run across something that needs to be changed or modified we'll just get in touch with them. We're very happy with the system.

Reply from TouchBistro

Hey, John! Thanks so much for your review. Very happy to hear you're finding TouchBistro to be great and are continuing to enjoy our regular updates and new feature releases. If there's anything I can do to make your experience even better, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Beatrice Marler Baker, LA

Since they had good reviews and offered really good customer service, I got it. They've done a good job so far. The program is easy to understand and use. If you want to get more information, there's also a website that you can look at for that. I've never had any problems with it, no glitches, no downtime, no anything. It just works the way it's supposed to. The price is a little high though, it could be better.

Reply from TouchBistro

Hey, Beatrice! Thanks so much for your review. Very happy to hear you're finding TouchBistro to be easy to understand and use, and that it's been working flawlessly for you. I will share your positive feedback with our customer service team – they'll be happy to hear you're happy. If there's anything I can do to make your experience even better, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Anthony Vink

I got their software since it was easy to be trained on and they also offered a lower initial capital outlay. Most things are easy to resolve on the app, though there's some technical things that don't necessarily work great for cafes as opposed to a restaurant. Still, it works. There are a few things they should change and I know they're working on that. For instance, in the cashier settings you shouldn't have to send all the products in, it should automatically go or not close at all. That's the whole point of having a cashier's system.

Reply from TouchBistro

Hey, Anthony! Thanks so much for your review. Very happy to hear you found TouchBistro easy to learn and cost-effective to implement. I have shared your feedback regarding the app with our development team, and please feel free to reach out to our 24/7 customer support team if you need help with anything. If there's anything I can do to make your experience even better, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Mihran Boudakian

They were the cheapest software out there, so I picked it. Sometimes when I call customer support I need them to be there for me right away, but that doesn't always happen. Maybe they don't have enough staff or something, but it takes a while to get someone on the line. They still need to improve some aspects of their software too.

Courtney Barbiaux Sarver, PA

I got it because of the price and the ease of use. The system is pretty reliable so far. Sometimes talking to customer support is a bit hard though. Since we're on a different time zone, we can't really talk to them until after 10 o'clock, which can be an issue.

The service was referred to us by another business that used it. I think it's pretty good, though my husband is the one that actually deals with them. Whenever there's a problem he's the one that calls them. It work's well enough for what we need it I think. Though I think the introductory training could be a little more hands on.

Reply from TouchBistro

Hey, Anonymous! Thanks so much for your review. Very happy to hear you're finding TouchBistro to be good for your business. We love it when our happy customers refer other businesses to us. Do let us know who referred you so we can thank them! If there's anything I can do to make your experience even better, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Steven D'Arpino Nixa, MO

Compared to their competitors, they had good features for a good price. Overall, they're good, though the thing that could be improved is some kind of back up for reporting and such.

Reply from TouchBistro

Hey, Steven! Thanks so much for your review. Very happy to hear you're finding TouchBistro to be competitive on features and price. With TouchBistro you can export your historical reporting data if you'd like to back it up; if you'd like help exporting and backing up your reports, please don't hesitate to contact our 24/7 customer support. If there's anything I can do to make your experience even better, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Phil Johnson

I didn't decide on this system, it was already in place when I got here. I haven't needed to contact customer support much, the software is just easy to use. Though, it should have a better way to access reports remotely.

Reply from TouchBistro

Hey, Phil! Thanks so much for your review. Very happy to hear that even though you didn't decide on the system, you're finding TouchBistro to be easy to use and problem free. If there's anything I can do to make your experience even better, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Chris Evans

I found them a long time ago and decided to go with them. They've been good so far. The service is very reliable, though I wish I could integrate any wireless pay pad terminal to it.

Reply from TouchBistro

Hey, Chris Evans! Thanks so much for your review. Very happy to hear you're finding TouchBistro to be reliable and problem free. As you know, TouchBistro gives you freedom to choose your payment processor; don't hesitate to reach out our customer service team to learn more about which of our payment processing partners offer wireless payment terminals best suited to your business needs. If there's anything I can do to make your experience even better, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Feb. 15th, 2018

Pj Mckenzie

I got it since the software looked really good. Customer service is good, but when we were first setting it all up, it took quite a while for them to call us back.

Stephen Smee

We picked it since it was mac based. The system is very user friendly too. The only thing is that I wish they added some flexibility to discount reporting.

CharlieOleary

Everything is great especially user friendliness, UI, reports, and customer service. However my constructive criticism is that the app could certainly be faster

Reply from TouchBistro

Hey, CharlieOleary! Thanks so much for your review. Very happy to hear you're finding TouchBistro to be great, from the app's user friendliness to our customer service team. I will share your feedback regarding the app speed with our development team. If there's anything I can do to make your experience even better, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Feb. 15th, 2018

Steve Sanna

I got it mostly because of the ease of use. I like that it can save statistics of what goes trough it.

A.R. Lavallette, NJ

I like them since they have TV integration, though I'd like them to put in a reservation system.

Reply from TouchBistro

Hey, A.R.! Thanks so much for your review. Very happy to hear TouchBistro is working out for you. I will share your feedback regarding reservation system functionality with our development team. If there's anything I can do to make your experience even better, please do not hesitate to get in touch.