Square

Square Logo

6.4

Square

verified
Square offers a simple, innovative POS system

Square is a point of sale (POS) company that specializes in streamlined technology and services. Since its founding in 2009, Square has expanded its technology to include helpful software and hardware, such as the free Square Point of Sale app, which allows companies to manage different aspects of the business, from inventory management to customer directories to digital receipts. Square’s hardware allows businesses to accept all major credit cards, NFC payments, and gift cards. Additionally, Square does not charge any monthly fees, unlike many other point of sale companies.

The Good

• Clear Pricing
  • Many Software and Hardware Options
  • Simplicity

Clear Pricing

Square offers a simple and clear fee structure whenever a card is used. For swiping, dipping (inserting the card into the reader), or tapping a card Square has a 2.75% flat rate regardless of the amount. For transactions where the consumer isn’t present, or the Square user is away from the reader, Square charges a 3.5% + $0.15 fee. These transactions are typically considered riskier by credit card companies since the customer is not present at the time the card is processed. For billing consumers through Square invoices or an eCommerce API, the fee is 2.9% + $0.30. Square has no hidden fees, so it is just the standard per payment processing fee. There are no fees associated with customers paying with cash or check since Square doesn’t process those forms of payment.

Square charges a 2.75% fee of the total transaction amount for any of these types of payments:

• Swiped Magstripe Card
  • Swiped or Inserted Chip Cards
  • Prepaid Gift Cards
  • Point-of-Sale API Swiped or Inserted Payments
  • Contactless (NFC) Payments

For manually entered transactions Square has a 3.5% + $0.15 fee for the following payment types:

• Card on File Transaction
  • Manually Keyed-In Card Payments
  • Point-of-Sale API Keyed-In Payments
  • Virtual Terminal Payments

Customer fees will be $2.9% + $0.30 of the total amount when using any of these payment types:

• Invoices
  • Online Store
  • Square eCommerce API
  • eCommerce Card on File Payments

Many Software and Hardware Options

Square offers a wide variety of options for those seeking POS services, and the features within those different options is equally impressive. Notable Square software features include the ability to send invoices; sell gift cards; get private customer feedback; create customer profiles; integrate with accounting, apps, and other point of sale services; and perform email marketing.

Simplicity

Square prides itself on providing simple technology that is easy for both businesses and consumers to use.

The Bad

• No Warranties
  • Funding Holds

No Warranties

Square’s terms and conditions specify that the technology comes “as is”, and that if a business feels that Square’s services are not providing what they hoped, there is still no warranty. However, this is to be expected with many businesses.

Funding Holds

Although Square boasts many positives, complaints still remain. A common customer complaint is that Square may hold merchant funds. Because Square uses aggressive fraud prevention tactics, the technology raises a general red flag at times, which can make businesses unable to access their income for a period. This may be because Square does not disclose the risks involved in third-party processing. Companies experiencing this problem will receive a notification that a payment violated the terms of service or that the company model is unsupported or high-risk.

The Bottom Line

Since its start in 2009, Square has grown to provide a wide variety of options for those seeking POS services. Its software is top-notch, especially for the price. Square’s services are accessible and helpful for all types of businesses, from startups to large companies, making it a competitive POS option.

Thomas Hullinger
August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

This system is great for that little business that is trying to get off the ground. Also used for fundraising sales and it is easy to use and worked great.

Kymberlea Burnau
July 6th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

We used our square acct in our concession stand at the high school football games. It’s super easy to use, the money deposits directly into our booster club account & there’s no hassle. It’s been nice to be able to offer this service for those who find themselves w/out cash but want to enjoy a cool beverage or snack, under the Friday Night Light.

Brayden D.
July 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I’ve used Square for many of my events that I am involved with and it works perfectly. I have the square plug that you plug into your phone and it lets people pay by swiping their credit cards. It is perfect!

Alicia Holman
June 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I liked this product, but it's a little hard for someone who may not understand apps. Although, I do think it's easy once it's set up. Tracking is easy as well.

Hunter Kasprzyk
June 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Theres not much to say about square other than it works well with small businesses and it doesnt have much problems. Sometimes i have to swipe the card life 5 times but thats not a huge problem and its probably my fault.

Joanna Hester
June 12th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I use Square to take payments for our booster club. It is incredibly easy and brings in more business because many times they only have credit cards on them.

Doug Whittlesey
June 7th, 2018 Beaverton, OR DETAILS

It took me 7 days and 9 E-Mails to find out about why an agreed to automatic debit amount on a capital loan was changed to a lower amount. Here’s my last response to Square: Thanks Robin - I’ll stick with the payment scheduled as is, with the remaining balance of $81.96 to come out on 8/1. I included all of these amounts in my 2nd E-Mail last Friday trying to find out why the agreed to Debit amount was not taken out. Amazed that it took 7 days to get this response. Once balance is paid, I will never use Square as a Merchant, make any purchases from a Vendor using Square and will actively denigrate your Company in my sphere of influence. Seems like with all of your use of technology, you’ve lost a basic tenet in business - Prompt Customer Service. ........................................ Make it a Great Day! Doug

Katherine Goulandris
April 9th, 2018 Abiquiu, NM DETAILS

We Love Square. We have used a few other companies before Square and Square is so much better. So much easier to understand and to use. No hidden fees. Very easy to set up and use. We travel to sell our work and use Square mainly on our I- Phones. It works very well!

Cynthia Gossage
March 26th, 2018 Upper Marlboro, MD DETAILS

I only use it a few times a year at craft shows, but it is so simple and reliable - and always works! It gives me enormous peace of mind that I can rely on your product and increase sales.

Adrienne Bratton
March 23rd, 2018 Altadena, CA DETAILS

As a dance instructor, choreographer and book author I use square for the payment process. It is so convenient once the client information is entered. Automatically a receipt is sent and I have a record of transactions. I love it!

Marie
March 23rd, 2018 Rockwall, TX DETAILS

Great for trade shows. The chip contactless reader gives me faster checkout for my customers. They like the fast, I like the added security. I also keep my inventory with the square. A must for small business owners

Christy Deen
March 22nd, 2018 Stockbridge, GA DETAILS

I own a small, double-sided coffee drive-thru business. We offer gourmet coffee & espresso beverages, smoothies, teas, frappes & grab-n-go items. We love square! The layout is simple, easy to use. The benefit of marketing, loyalty and payroll/timecard usage has been a huge win for us and cost effective for our small business. Square payroll definitely beat out some of the major payroll providers which is why we switched.

Essition Harrison
April 11th, 2018 Stamford, CT DETAILS

I started with square about five years ago,at first I wasn’t sure what to expect but as the relationship grows I come to realize that square is an exceptional company,they do what they did with honesty and a professionalism second to none

Francoise Walusis
March 21st, 2018 Dayton, OH DETAILS

It's easy to use and my customers frequently comment on how sleek it looks and how fast the chip reader is.

Adriana Conti
March 21st, 2018 Andover, MA DETAILS

I started my business 3 years ago and have been using Square ever since. I’ve never had a processing problem... and I love the app.

Kate Mooney
March 20th, 2018 West Suffield, CT DETAILS

Very easy to use! No stress added to your workflow.

Sara
March 20th, 2018 Greensburg, PA DETAILS

I have always had a positive experience with Square. Any time I need to troubleshoot there is someone who is happy and able to help.

jeanetha brown douglas
March 20th, 2018 Charlottesville, VA DETAILS

Square is a very innovative system for my business however they miss the mark with the square capital loans. I am in need of funding to expand my business and cant receive help no live person to talk to so what good is offering loans if you cant request them ?

Charlotte Ikerd
March 20th, 2018 Somerset, KY DETAILS

We use square in our restaurant. The POS system is flexible and easy to update on the fly. It is pretty flexible and works well for our needs, for the most part.

Cassi B
March 20th, 2018 Seminole, TX DETAILS

I have used Square for 4 years & it has been a game changer for my business! I am an esthetician & a spa owner, so being able to take credit card payments is crucial. I'm so happy I don't have to turn clients away, have them run to an ATM or write me a check (yuck!) The fee per transaction is minimal when considering all the factors above! The card readers are great quality & my money is deposited quickly without any problems! My clients love it & so do I!

Alice
March 19th, 2018 Seminole, TX DETAILS

As a Garden Center we rely on Square as a mobile POS. As the owner I have the administrative power to change or apply prices, items etc. Our employees have the square app on their cell phones. Checkout is on the spot wherever we are selling be it in the greenhouse or the nursery. We use the ticket often. Our customers love the convenience and sales have gone up due to Square.

Bottoms Up Boat Lift Systems
March 19th, 2018 Green Forest, AR DETAILS

Square is the best thing to ever happen to my company. Makes billing and receiving payment so much easier.

Michael
March 20th, 2018 Haymarket, VA DETAILS

We've been with square for quite some time now and they're doing a great job adding new products. It's not a perfect system but it's clear to see that they're working to make it better, little by little. Much less expensive than our last credit card processing system!

Kate M
March 19th, 2018 Wingdale, NY DETAILS

Square has been a great payment service for our business for many years. We love to have been using a company since the beginning as Square has made such an effort to grow and offer more and more services. Customer service has improved dramatically since we began using the company and we now are helped quickly and efficiently any time we need.

Lindsay Dinant
March 20th, 2018 Bradenton, FL DETAILS

Fast easy convienient! Absolutely love everything about square!!

mark
March 19th, 2018 Austin, TX

I am a woodworking artist, specializing in wood kaleidoscopes and light sculptures. Doing occasional artshows and wholesale business, a few years ago I added up all the fees that my credit card processor was charging me each month and was astounded to find that my actual rate was between 4.5-6%. Square has been a godsend of simplicity and straight forward pricing. Do yourself a favor and add up ALL the fees and charges your provider is charging you...

Johnathan Stewart
March 19th, 2018 Murfreesboro, TN

Square is fast, easy, and so convenient. You can take it with you any where and anytime. I love having the ability to process a payment that way. It makes it so much easier to do business and order product for my clients.

Christine fridley
March 19th, 2018 Glen Burnie, MD DETAILS

Square has been a lifesaver..I love that my clients have the convenience of using their card.. fast, easy convenient.. would Definetley recommend

Georginyea
March 19th, 2018

I love it, it’s easy to use and I can always call if I have an issue or don’t understand something.I don’t like the card reader that has to charge, but that’s only because I forget to charge it. Over all it’s great.

Holly
March 19th, 2018 Clarks Summit, PA DETAILS

Never had a problem. Funds are always processed correctly. I like that I can use it as a register for all transactions

ANGIE DAVIS
March 19th, 2018 Buckley, WA

I own a small part of a hair salon. Over head is a issue in any business. When your one person paying the bill you need consistency. Square is the best at customer service, efficiency and delivery on any expectation!! One of the best businesses I've ever used!

Dan
February 28th, 2018 Reeds Spring, MO DETAILS

Communication with square is next to impossible! I've used them for about 5 years and its gotten worse & worse I have now switched due to horrible costumer service

PAUL FREDERICK
November 8th, 2017 Tacoma, WA DETAILS

I HAVE HAD SQUARE FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS. ALL OF A SUDDEN MY PASSWORD WON'T WORK. THERE IS NO PHONE NUMBER TO CALL SO YOU HAVE TO SEND EMAIL. THEN THEY REPLY THE THEY WILL CONTACT YOU IN 2-3 BUSINESS DAYS. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THAT ACTION, AS MY CUSTOMER WANTS TO PAY ME RIGHT NOW. I PROBABLY WON'T GET PAID NOW BECAUSE OF THIS, AS I CANNOT CHECK TO SEE IF THERE WAS A TRANSACTION FOR THIS CUSTOMER IN THE PAST. THANKS SQUARE FOR THIS MESS.