Square Logo

Square

7.1

Square is a point of sale (POS) company that specializes in streamlined technology and services. Since its founding in 2009, Square has expanded its technology to include helpful software and hardware, such as the free Square Point of Sale app, which allows companies to manage different aspects of the business from inventory management and real-time data, to customer directories and digital receipts. Square’s chip card and no-contact payment hardware allows businesses to accept payments with all major credit cards and well as NFC payments and gift cards. Additionally, Square does not charge any monthly fees, unlike many other POS companies.

The Good

• Clear Pricing
  • Transaction Fees
  • Payment Processing
  • Software Options
  • Hardware Options
  • Sqaure Card Reader
  • Simplicity

Clear Pricing

Square offers a simple and clear fee structure whenever a card is used. For swiping, dipping (inserting the card into the reader), or tapping a card Square has a 2.75% flat rate regardless of the amount. For transactions where the consumer isn’t present, or the Square user is away from the reader, Square charges a 3.5% + $0.15 fee. These transactions are typically considered riskier by credit card companies since the customer is not present at the time the card is processed. For billing consumers through Square invoices or an eCommerce API, the fee is 2.9% + $0.30. Square has no hidden fees. The only fees charged are the flat rate processing fees involved with each transaction. There are no fees associated with customers paying with cash or check since Square doesn’t process those forms of payment.

Transaction Fees

Square charges a 2.75% fee of the total transaction amount for any of these types of payments:

• Swiped Magstripe Card
  • Swiped or Inserted Chip Card
  • Prepaid Gift Cards
  • Point-of-Sale API Swiped or Inserted Payments
  • Contactless (NFC) Payments

For manually entered transactions Square has a 3.5% + $0.15 fee for the following payment types:

• Card on File Transaction
  • Manually Keyed-In Card Payments
  • Point-of-Sale API Keyed-In Payments
  • Virtual Terminal Payments

Customer fees will be $2.9% + $0.30 of the total amount when using any of these payment types:

• Invoices
  • Online Store
  • Square eCommerce API
  • eCommerce Card on File Payments

Payment Processing

Square works to provide a number of options for payment processing to make sure that sales are not limited. Advances in technology have opened the door for payment processing and a number of new methods are now being used consistently. For merchants using online square software for websites, online payments can be received, tracked, and recorded. For those with in-store locations, square's pairing of hardware and software can accept mobile payments with both Apple and Android pay, contactless NFC payments, EMV chip payments, magstripe swipe payments, and more.

Software Options

Square POS offers a wide variety of integrations for those seeking POS services, and the features within those different options is equally impressive. Notable Square software features and integrations now include the following:

• The ability to send square invoices
  • Selling gift cards
  • Getting private customer feedback
  • Creating customer profiles
  • Integrate with accounting software
  • Integrating with the square App and other useful Apps
  • Integrating with other POS services
  • Performing email marketing

Hardware Options

In order to ensure the satisfaction of merchants in a number of different industries, a wide array of hardware options are available.

• Square Register: This POS hardware is sold with two pieces.  The screen (control panel) is for the employee to manage payments of items purchased.  They can track what items in their current inventory have been purchased to know how much they have left. The second piece of equipment is the POS terminal.  This terminal is what allows businesses to accept payments.  It is equipped with a chip card reader, magstripe reader, and a no-contact scanner for payments from a mobile device.  The retail value for this product is $999.00 with free shipping.
  • iPad POS: This platform functions well for retail stores, small businesses, and restaurants.  It can be used by simply downloading a free POS app on an iPad and entering the necessary information (business, inventory, pricing, etc.).  If you do not have an iPad but are wanting to use this iPad POS software, you can purchase an iPad from Square to accompany the stand the POS terminal.  The stand, dock, and the chip card and contactless reader can be purchased for $199.00.  If you would like to purchase an iPad as well, it will cost an additional $329.00.
  • Android POS: Similar to the iPad POS, there is a free POS app for android users as well.  It can be downloaded online and is equipped with the same integrations as the iPad POS app.  It can be used on a phone or a tablet.
  • Square Terminal: As an all-in-one device, this POS hardware is a great option for a small business.  It has a magstripe reader, a chip card reader, a contactless (NFC) reader, and a receipt printer.  This product has a retail value of $399.00.  If you would like to order extra receipt paper, it will cost $20 for 20 rolls of paper.

Square Card Reader

One of the key components of a Point of Sale solution during recent years is a credit card reader. The Square reader offers a variety of different options for credit card payments. Some of these are: the chip card reader, the contactless card reader, and the square card reader. The square card reader can be used for card that require a swipe in order to register payment. EMV chip cards can be read by the chip card reader. EMV chip has become one of the most common methods of payment and it is important that companies have the appropriate hardware to facilitate these types of payments.

Though chip cards started the wave of change in secure payment processing, contactless payments are now very prominent as well. having a contactless card reader makes transactions and credit card processing faster and in a number of ways, more secure.

Simplicity

Square POS prides itself on providing simple technology that is easy for both businesses and consumers to use requiring only an internet connection.

Additional Features

Square has many POS terminals for small business, comparable to the Shopify POS, there are bank account integrations, inventory management, credit card (and debit card) payments for business owners, and customer service for your square account.

If you have a mobile device and an internet connection, there are additional features you can implement with a square card and magstripe card reader. This POS hardware is beneficial for mobile sale POS. There are even loyalty programs you can implement with this feature. You can check your money within the app on a dashboard, and there is additional hardware which includes a receipt printer.

The Bad

• No Warranties
  • Funding Holds

No Warranties

Square’s terms and conditions specify that the technology comes “as is”, and that if a business feels that Square’s services are not providing what they hoped, there is still no warranty. However, this is to be expected with many businesses.

Funding Holds

Although Square boasts many positives, complaints still arise from retailers. A common customer complaint is that Square may hold merchant funds. Because Square uses aggressive fraud prevention tactics, the technology raises a general red flag at times, which can make businesses unable to access their income for a period. This may be because Square does not disclose the risks involved in third-party processing. Businesses experiencing this problem will receive a notification that payments have violated the terms of service or that the company model is unsupported or high-risk.

The Bottom Line

Since its start in 2009, Square has grown to provide a wide variety of options for those seeking POS services. Its hardware and software is top-notch, especially for the price. Square’s services are accessible and helpful for all types of businesses, from startups to large companies, making it a competitive POS option.

View Best POS Companies

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

We use square at all of our public events and we love it. The transactions are fast and we rarely have chargebacks. The percentage on the merchant fee is not very much either.

Jared Provo, UT

I submit payments through Square weekly and have been impressed with the service. I would definitely use it in the future if I ever need to bill clients.

Christy Deen Stockbridge, GA

I own a small, double-sided coffee drive-thru business. We offer gourmet coffee & espresso beverages, smoothies, teas, frappes & grab-n-go items. We love square! The layout is simple, easy to use. The benefit of marketing, loyalty and payroll/timecard usage has been a huge win for us and cost effective for our small business. Square payroll definitely beat out some of the major payroll providers which is why we switched.

Cassi B Seminole, TX

I have used Square for 4 years & it has been a game changer for my business! I am an esthetician & a spa owner, so being able to take credit card payments is crucial. I'm so happy I don't have to turn clients away, have them run to an ATM or write me a check (yuck!) The fee per transaction is minimal when considering all the factors above! The card readers are great quality & my money is deposited quickly without any problems! My clients love it & so do I!

Alice Seminole, TX

As a Garden Center we rely on Square as a mobile POS. As the owner I have the administrative power to change or apply prices, items etc. Our employees have the square app on their cell phones. Checkout is on the spot wherever we are selling be it in the greenhouse or the nursery. We use the ticket often. Our customers love the convenience and sales have gone up due to Square.

mark Austin, TX

I am a woodworking artist, specializing in wood kaleidoscopes and light sculptures. Doing occasional artshows and wholesale business, a few years ago I added up all the fees that my credit card processor was charging me each month and was astounded to find that my actual rate was between 4.5-6%. Square has been a godsend of simplicity and straight forward pricing. Do yourself a favor and add up ALL the fees and charges your provider is charging you...

Aleena Hafiz ,

Gets the job done even though the app takes some getting used to. It’s a bit hard to use sometimes but great for outside events and on the go service.

Hailey Burt Eagle Mountain, UT

I used square when I worked at Crumbl, and it was always efficient and fast, we almost never had problems with our system.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Square is beyond valuable when it comes to handling my business sales transactions. All transactions are safe and speedy. And the rates for the service are reasonable and easy to manage behind the scenes. Their tools are always reliable and their customer service is beyond helpful. A must for small business. It has sure helped mine!

Katherine Goulandris Abiquiu, NM

We Love Square. We have used a few other companies before Square and Square is so much better. So much easier to understand and to use. No hidden fees. Very easy to set up and use. We travel to sell our work and use Square mainly on our I- Phones. It works very well!

Adrienne Bratton Altadena, CA

As a dance instructor, choreographer and book author I use square for the payment process. It is so convenient once the client information is entered. Automatically a receipt is sent and I have a record of transactions. I love it!

Essition Harrison Stamford, CT

I started with square about five years ago,at first I wasn’t sure what to expect but as the relationship grows I come to realize that square is an exceptional company,they do what they did with honesty and a professionalism second to none

Kate M Wingdale, NY

Square has been a great payment service for our business for many years. We love to have been using a company since the beginning as Square has made such an effort to grow and offer more and more services. Customer service has improved dramatically since we began using the company and we now are helped quickly and efficiently any time we need.

ANGIE DAVIS Buckley, WA

I own a small part of a hair salon. Over head is a issue in any business. When your one person paying the bill you need consistency. Square is the best at customer service, efficiency and delivery on any expectation!! One of the best businesses I've ever used!

Sarah Provo, UT

I have a square for my families business and we absolutely love this product! We all love it because of how convenient and easy it is to use! We have the phone adaptor square, as this is a easy way to take it out with you where ever you go. This little phone square just connects to your phone so your customers, friends, family can easily swipe their card right then and there. It is also very easy to set up and read all of the information on your phone!

Tiauna Anderson Saratoga Springs, UT

I sell at booths in home shows whenever they are in town and Square is my go-to processing service on the go. It's so easy to use and dependable when I'm converting sales. I highly recommend!

Cynthia Gossage Upper Marlboro, MD

I only use it a few times a year at craft shows, but it is so simple and reliable - and always works! It gives me enormous peace of mind that I can rely on your product and increase sales.

Marie Rockwall, TX

Great for trade shows. The chip contactless reader gives me faster checkout for my customers. They like the fast, I like the added security. I also keep my inventory with the square. A must for small business owners

Michael Haymarket, VA

We've been with square for quite some time now and they're doing a great job adding new products. It's not a perfect system but it's clear to see that they're working to make it better, little by little. Much less expensive than our last credit card processing system!

Johnathan Stewart Murfreesboro, TN

Square is fast, easy, and so convenient. You can take it with you any where and anytime. I love having the ability to process a payment that way. It makes it so much easier to do business and order product for my clients.

Georginyea

I love it, it’s easy to use and I can always call if I have an issue or don’t understand something.I don’t like the card reader that has to charge, but that’s only because I forget to charge it. Over all it’s great.

Brennan Orem, UT

I won't use a different POS service after using Square. Square gives me all the functions necessary for me and my business. Transaction rates are great the actual software is high quality. Pricing is awesome and customer service is fantastic. Overall awesome service.

Brody B Orem, UT

I have used Square a number of different times for Point of Sale. Square has always done a good job and provided us with the needed accessories. I would always recommend Square to anyone needing POS processing. If you even have any questions their customer service is second to none.

Lindsey B Orem, UT

I have used Square a number of times for customers and have never had a problem. What you sign up for is exactly what you get. With all of the transactions we did we never had a single takeback or dispute. I will always use Square for point of sale transactions.

Jeff B Orem, UT

I have used Square with their mobile card reader. I have found that Square is very easy to use and even works when I have a sketchy internet connection. i have never had any negative feedback from customers when it comes to the payments they have made. Fees are low considering the services they offer. I would recommend to anyone that needs to collect mobile payments or need processing for e-commerce.

TyGuy Sandy, UT

Square is awesome. I appreciate it when small business have Square readers. My receipts are emailed to me and everything is very fast. I also like their Square Cash app. It's not annoyingly social like Venmo. It's very straightforward to use and clean.

Kymberlea Burnau Mesa, AZ

We used our square acct in our concession stand at the high school football games. It’s super easy to use, the money deposits directly into our booster club account & there’s no hassle. It’s been nice to be able to offer this service for those who find themselves w/out cash but want to enjoy a cool beverage or snack, under the Friday Night Light.

Christopher Whiting Los Angeles, CA

I used this for my business to process cards in person. Simple to use and very clear how it works and how to get payouts when you need or want them.

Wendy Fujita Fleetwood, PA

The best thing about square is the POS is easy to use. The worst thing is when I first started there were options I was able to use without being charged. Now, these options have been taken away for everyone and they started charging a fee. It seems like they are breaking things down into add on items you have to pay for. So every little thing you want to do is a new add on item. It is just getting to be too expensive any more. Some of the add on items I really need but I am just going to seek out a new POS instead.

Brinley Knowles Smithfield, UT

Square was super simple and easy to use and figure out. We use the software for my company and makes simple technology super easy for us. We have loved using square and was super affordable.

Doug Whittlesey Beaverton, OR

It took me 7 days and 9 E-Mails to find out about why an agreed to automatic debit amount on a capital loan was changed to a lower amount. Here’s my last response to Square: Thanks Robin - I’ll stick with the payment scheduled as is, with the remaining balance of $81.96 to come out on 8/1. I included all of these amounts in my 2nd E-Mail last Friday trying to find out why the agreed to Debit amount was not taken out. Amazed that it took 7 days to get this response. Once balance is paid, I will never use Square as a Merchant, make any purchases from a Vendor using Square and will actively denigrate your Company in my sphere of influence. Seems like with all of your use of technology, you’ve lost a basic tenet in business - Prompt Customer Service. ........................................ Make it a Great Day! Doug

jeanetha brown douglas Charlottesville, VA

Square is a very innovative system for my business however they miss the mark with the square capital loans. I am in need of funding to expand my business and cant receive help no live person to talk to so what good is offering loans if you cant request them ?

Erika American Fork, UT

We used square for a time and it worked well. The pricing was fairly simple and easy to understand. I think its good for small businesses but larger business may benefit from a different platform because of the price structure. I did experience some account freezes because of suspected fraudulent activity.

Erin Lindon, UT

I’ve use square for my business and it’s been great! It’s easy to use and so convenient. I haven’t had any problems with any transactions and my customers haven’t had any complaints either.

Melissa Bennett Lambson

Square is a very convenient service to use with customers for a low service fee. They continue to update their technology and provide additional services which has made me stay with them. There are a few issues trying to access customer service, which is my only request for improvement.

JAKE American Fork, UT

I used square for a business I was starting and it worked well. The pricing was fairly simple and direct. I did experience some unnecessary account freezes because of suspected fraudulent activity. That was a little frustrating. I think its good for small businesses but larger business may benefit from a different platform price wise.

janalee sanders Valley Center, CA

I use Square several times a year for certain events that I participate in. I was worried that it might be difficult to learn to use but it was so easy which made it really nice. it is also nice that there isn't a bunch of equipment to have to hook up.

Shawn American Fork, UT

We signed up for square early in our business thinking it would be a temporary solution however with the ease of function and the intuitive nature of using it we have decided to stick with it we keep having other businesses approaches to try to Loris away and nothing seems to compare for the value we receive a square.

Brayden D. Gilbert, AZ

I’ve used Square for many of my events that I am involved with and it works perfectly. I have the square plug that you plug into your phone and it lets people pay by swiping their credit cards. It is perfect!

Hunter Kasprzyk Gilbert, AZ

Theres not much to say about square other than it works well with small businesses and it doesnt have much problems. Sometimes i have to swipe the card life 5 times but thats not a huge problem and its probably my fault.

Wayne Young Little Rock, AR

I recently got introduced to Square as a customer at a restaurant. The program was easy to use and sign up for.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

This system is great for that little business that is trying to get off the ground. Also used for fundraising sales and it is easy to use and worked great.

Adriana Conti Andover, MA

I started my business 3 years ago and have been using Square ever since. I’ve never had a processing problem... and I love the app.

Sara Greensburg, PA

I have always had a positive experience with Square. Any time I need to troubleshoot there is someone who is happy and able to help.

Charlotte Ikerd Somerset, KY

We use square in our restaurant. The POS system is flexible and easy to update on the fly. It is pretty flexible and works well for our needs, for the most part.

Christine fridley Glen Burnie, MD

Square has been a lifesaver..I love that my clients have the convenience of using their card.. fast, easy convenient.. would Definetley recommend

PAUL FREDERICK Tacoma, WA

I HAVE HAD SQUARE FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS. ALL OF A SUDDEN MY PASSWORD WON'T WORK. THERE IS NO PHONE NUMBER TO CALL SO YOU HAVE TO SEND EMAIL. THEN THEY REPLY THE THEY WILL CONTACT YOU IN 2-3 BUSINESS DAYS. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THAT ACTION, AS MY CUSTOMER WANTS TO PAY ME RIGHT NOW. I PROBABLY WON'T GET PAID NOW BECAUSE OF THIS, AS I CANNOT CHECK TO SEE IF THERE WAS A TRANSACTION FOR THIS CUSTOMER IN THE PAST. THANKS SQUARE FOR THIS MESS.

Cristiana Orem, UT

I worked in a retail industry for a while and I can say that Square is the dream coming thru for people that works with cashiers it is modern and easy to use. Most of restaurants that I'm going to are using Square as a point of sales tool. From my experience it is fast and I never had problem with.

Camber Lehi, UT

Very smooth customer experience, easy to use for independent vendors. Great, simple interface that makes set-up straightforward. Also great for personal use with friends.

Chelsea Horrocks Salt Lake City, UT

I’m a fan from both a consumer and business user. I love that a one time email and card use is saved across the board. It’s time efficient and overall a quick processor!