ShopKeep Logo

ShopKeep

ShopKeep was founded in 2008 by Jason Richelson who is the co-founder of several retail stores in the New York City area. ShopKeep is currently headquartered in New York, New York and they offer cloud-based iPad point of sale systems to the service and small retail industries. ShopKeep's intuitive design allows merchants to access their data remotely in real-time via a Smartphone app, even when they are not in the store.

The Good

• Free Trial
  • Inventory System
  • Clear Price Rates
  • Customer Benefits
  • Employment Management System

Free Trial

ShopKeep has very simple, user-friendly, responsive software. ShopKeep's price point is one of the best in the industry with a 14 day free trial (without having to put down a credit card) and $49-$69 per month, per register. Additionally, there are no hidden fees. ShopKeep runs everything from an iPad which syncs all data to the cloud once an internet connection is available. This process keeps everything running, even if there is a power outage.

Inventory System

ShopKeep's inventory system can import and manage large inventories with thousands of SKUs via CSV.  Customer's will receive top-selling items reports instantly and will be able to set up order triggers to alert them when items are running low. Additionally, customers can track costs and profit margins per item and scan those items to their inventory from anywhere with a Bluetooth scanner. Customers can keep up with everything in real-time with ShopKeep's Pocket app. This is an important feature because being able to spot trends and potential issues quickly could save customers money.

Clear Price Rates

ShopKeep offers one clear price rate with no long-term contract, and it doesn't charge maintenance fees, service fees or cancellation fees. ShopKeep's per register price is one of the cheapest in the industry. It also offers 24-7-365 support and a 60-day free ShopKeep expert is available for customers when they sign up.

Customer Benefits

ShopKeep has other features and benefits directed towards helping customers succeed including the following:

• Quick, Intuitive Register
  • Real-Time Analytics
  • iPad POS System
  • ShopKeep Pocket iOS App

ShopKeep accepts cash, credit cards, gift cards, Apple Pay, EMV chip cards and has an intuitive system that works when offline. Its system also has custom modifiers with an "add notes" option to clarify any order, an inventory management system that can add items in a variety of ways, untaxing adjustments, toggle sales tax, and item quantities.

Employment Management System

ShopKeep also offers an employee management system, custom menus, an intuitive design, dynamic features, robust back-office features, MailChimp integration, and detailed reports that are readily available. Its system is quick and responsive and very user friendly.  Additionally, they have superior customer service via phone, live chat and email.

The Bad

• Lack of Features
  • No Integration

Lack of Features

Many merchants have reported a lack of features, but only when compared to some of the larger providers in the industry. This didn't seem to affect small to medium business owners, but it may be a game changer for larger businesses who rely on a one-stop-shop business model to efficiently manage their business. Additionally, there are some reports of software and hardware glitches, and ShopKeep's POS systems don't support multiple sales tax rates.

No Integration

ShopKeep does not offer online store integration. In the digital age, an online store should be a given.

The Bottom Line

ShopKeep appears to be a popular, reliable, affordable point-of-sale solution for small to medium sized business owners, but only if they don't require online store integration or the ability to calculate multiple sales tax rates. ShopKeep prefers to use its own payment solution. However, it does allow the use of several other payment processor's as well. Additionally, ShopKeep offers unlimited support via phone, live chat and email alongside a comprehensive article and video library that can assist you with most issues. With all the positive ShopKeep reviews, their low price point, the freedom of having offsite data storage, a user-friendly interface coupled with their impressive inventory control systems, we have no problem recommending ShopKeep for small to medium sized businesses. If you are a larger volume business, we suggest another provider that can offer you a more efficient daily operations package.

5.0

Megan Van Peenen

I started my very small business with Square POS - and we loved it. But after using them for 3 years, they notified me that there was an issue with my tax id 2 weeks before Black Friday. So immediately got to work and sent them everything they asked for plus more. Then, they just deactivated my account- right before the busiest time of year for me! I couldn't call them because my account was deactuans you can't call them without a code. I wrote letters, emails trying to find out what was wrong and they completely ignored me. I wrote to the BBB and PC Magazine and still - nothing. ShopKeep saved the day!! They are there 24/7 and you don't need a "code" to call them! Their staff is amazing - Colin was my Rep and he worked with me when he was home one day just to get my account set up. And the funny part? ShopKeep emailed me and asked me if my name on my Social Security card was the same as my married name, to which I replied no. I never changed my name with Social Security- and THAT tiny thing was what Square couldn't pick up on or figure out. ShopKeep had it fixed and I never had a disruption in my processing. They are just a wonderful company and I would tell any small business owner to use them. If you have a problem they will be with you on the phone or online chat until it's resolved. They are the best!!

Jill Weiss North Hollywood, CA

We are so happy with our ShopKeep system! It's easy to use, and having the information available, on any computer or even on my phone, makes my bookkeeping job SO much faster! I don't know why I waited so long to convert. ;-) Customer service has always been spot on, too. Highly recommended.

Jennifer Officer Gainesboro, TN

I was completely new to the retail business and ShopKeep made the transition easier. With help for inventory and a POS that has few (if any) glitches, it was one less thing on my plate. The customer support system has always been quick to answer questions and help with any issues that did come up. I highly recommend ShopKeep as a POS.

Carol Harwell Woodway, TX

Shopkeep is easy to use. The customer service reps are always happy & ready to assist me when I do have an issue, which is seldom. The system is seamless & updated constantly. Works great for my business!

Tracy Katz Bala, PA

I've had nothing but great service from initial decision making and set up to help along the way. The system is very intuitive and provides (easily) all the reports I need.