Launched in 1999, Snapfish is an online photo sharing and printing service that is owned by Hewlett-Packard. Snapfish is based out of San Francisco, CA.

Snapfish members are given free accounts with unlimited photo storage capacity. All members can share photo albums, individual photos, animated slideshows and Snapfish products.

#1 CanvasPeople chevron_right
#2 Google Photos chevron_right
4.8
#3 Instagram chevron_right

The Good

• Great collection of keepsakes and gifts
  • Free accounts
  • Mobile app

Snapfish has the most extensive collection of keepsake and gift items out of all the photo sites we reviewed. You can customize and order photo albums, cards, calendars, phone cases, stationery, blankets, throw pillows, puzzles and more. Each kind of merchandise is offered in several colors and styles, so there are options to suit any taste or personal preference.

All Snapfish accounts are free; only the merchandise costs money. And the perks for each free account are impressive: unlimited file sizes for uploads, unlimited storage for photos and videos, and access to the Help Center, How-To section and basic editing tools.

Snapfish has a mobile app, so you can upload images directly from a mobile device to your Snapfish account. You can also create, share, and order cards, prints and other gift items directly from a mobile device. For added convenience, you can also upload to Snapfish from your email, Facebook or Flickr account.

The Snapfish site features step-by-step written instructions for several different procedures, such as creating a photo album, changing account information or completing an order. This minimizes the need to call customer service and may save you some time. Snapfish also has a thorough Help Center that covers topics like ordering, creating projects, processing returns, changing account information and more. If you'd like to make basic edits to your photos, you can fix red-eye, rotate, color-correct and crop directly on Snapfish.

Snapfish allows you to have complete control over the privacy of your photos and videos. All files uploaded to Snapfish will default to private unless you specify otherwise - this helps to ensure that you don't accidentally mark anything as public that you prefer not to share. If you do want to share your photos or videos with others, just click "share" in the right-hand toolbar. You can choose to do this for a single photo or an entire album. You can enter as many email addresses as you'd like to, as well as send a personal message, to notify your friends and family that you'd like them to see your latest uploads. However, a Snapfish account is required to view photos and videos - so you'll need to let your contacts know that they must create their own accounts to be able to see what you're sharing.

The Bad

• Must be a member to see pictures
  • Limited image formats
  • Not great for professionals

While Snapfish does offer a lot of perks for users, your friends and family might think it's a hassle to have to create Snapfish accounts in order to see your photos. This keeps your personal memories more secure, yes, but also may limit your ability to share them with those close to you.

Snapfish only accepts JPEG image formats, so you'll need to convert any PNG or GIF files before uploading. This could cost you some extra time and hassle if you often work with image formats other than JPEG.

If you're a professional photographer, Snapfish may not be ideal for you. It won't enable you to sell your photos through the site the way sites like Zenfolio do. Additionally, showcasing your handiwork will be very limited since any potential viewer will need to create a Snapfish account.

The Bottom Line

Snapfish's large selection of keepsake and gift items make it an ideal resource for families; you can easily create mementos for holidays, birthdays or weddings. In addition, the secure method of sharing makes it easy to maintain privacy - another great perk for families.

2.9

Benji

January 7th, 2019 Schenectady, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I ordered an A3 Classic Calendar, to give to a relative at Christmas. Uploading and arranging photos was a bit complicated, but I managed, and placed my order for Christmas Delivery. Though it did not arrive, which was due to a courier fault, Snapfish support was amazing in quickly responding to my help request! They created the calendar on the same day, shipped it out, and it arrived before the est. delivery date!! I am very impressed by the look and feel of the photos, and paper. Everything was high quality, the paper was thick and tough, I could even wipe out a small stain. Also, the design was nice, with many other options to customise and change. I highly recommend Snapfish to all looking for a photo printing business!

Jenni

December 3rd, 2018 Columbia, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I placed my first order with Snapfish recently. I ordered our Christmas cards and got prints wish was a deal they were running. Great deals! However the site wasn’t user friendly and then after I ordered I realized I needed more cards. After going through customer service it turns out that I can’t add to my existing order or place another of the exact same order because it was done through my phone so the order was not saved under my projects. No where was this announced while building the card on my phone. It wasn’t just a simple picture card either. We wrote our Christmas letter on the back. For the $$ I saved it’s not worth having to redo everything. So now half of the family will get a different card because I refuse to purchase with them again.

Tammy Shouse

January 2nd, 2018 Clinton, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Snapfish for years! Granted ,when they moved to a new format, I did lose a couple of features, but they are all back now! I make calendars every year for friends and family, I and just did my first photo blanket! The recipient loved it! I'm sticking with Snapfish! Also, the app is easy and convenient to use.

Lindsey

December 10th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Snapfish WAY back years ago, and at the time it was one of the only sites out there. Now that there are newer and nicer websites for photo sharing, I've ditched Snapfish.

Chelsea Stewart

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

We used Snapfish for our Christmas cards- they were by far the cheapest option we could find and I loved being able to use multiple coupon codes. But we really got what we paid for. Not very good quality, but great price.

Ian Gordon

June 18th, 2016 Stamford, CT

Unfortunately, when HP 'updated' the site, they lost many, many of the functions that made it so good at organizing and sharing photos. No longer can you: - edit multiple photos at once (moving between albums, rotating to proper orientation, captioning etc all have to now be done one...picture...at...a...time.), - edit your address book. In fact, you can't even SEE your address book. The list of lost functionality is so long that it would be impossible to list them all. When you ask their online chat help, all you get is "that functionality is not available yet" What once was an exceptional site appears now to be some lost corner of HP, languishing without proper capital support and attention. Just dreadful. Go elsewhere - I will, as soon as I can figure out how to get my pictures out of there.