Google Photos Logo

6.8

LAST UPDATED: June 11th, 2021
Picasa is an image organizing website that was started in 2002. Google offers Picasa as free photography software that supports Google's photo sharing capabilities online. Essentially, Picasa allows users to organize, view, and edit their photos on their personal computer. The user also has the option to backup their photos online in Web Picasa for online storage and convenient sharing to social media sites. Picasa is available for both Windows and Mac users. Picasa will also automatically sync with iPhoto or similar competing software to ensure users a smooth transition into Picasa.

CanvasPeople Logo
#1 CanvasPeople chevron_right
Instagram Logo
#3 Instagram chevron_right
Facebook Logo
#4 Facebook chevron_right
4.1

The Good

• Organizational tools
  • Great features
  • Free account
Picasa is a great software to edit and organize photos. Although the formatting of software looks outdated, it has simple, convenient, and reliable organizational tools. Not only will your pictures be organized on your home computer, but also you can access them online when you sync Picasa with your Google accounts. You can store up to 15 GB of photos online when you sync Picasa with your Google+. Some features are:
  • Bulk file import
  • Picture search
  • Facial recognition
  • Slideshow mode
  • Free online storage
  • Automatic upload
  • Geotagging
  • Syncs with Google+
  • Basic photo editing
  • Album sharing
Picasa is free and their automatic photo synchronization makes it an easy set up. Not only will Picasa automatically sync with your current picture-storing program, but also it allows for quick bulk file uploads. Once your pictures are synced, they can be organized in files by date and also tagged with important information such as location, names, and informative tag lines. Organizing photos by taglines, names, and location will revolutionize the way you find your photos. Once tagged, you can simply type in search words like "New Years", "San Francisco", or "John Smith" to quickly find the photo you are looking for. Now you don't have to open and close a bunch of folders to find the right picture, you simply type what you need in the search bar. Lastly, the 15 GB of free space on Web Picasa not only serves as a secure backup for your photos, but it also allows you to easily share pictures on Google+ or send your friends private links to view a photo album.

The Bad

• Many ads
  • Additional storage is expensive
Although Picasa is pretty good for free image software, there are a few things to keep in mind when using Picasa. Picasa is freeware so most of their money is made from advertisements. The biggest problem with Google advertisements is syndicated services. This means third-party companies can view your pictures on Web Picasa in order to personalize your advertisements. Here are some things to be aware of:
  • Advertisements without upgrade
  • Additional storage space is costly
  • Syndicated services for advertisements
  • Promoted usage of Google+ instead of Web Picasa
  • Limited photo editing software
Essentially, Picasa is great for organization. However, the photo storage on Google+ would be put to better use if Picasa offered updated photo editing software. Since current trends like filters and advanced editing software are not offered with Picasa, people will turn to other photo editing sites to improve their photos before they sync them with a social network like Google+.

The Bottom Line

We would recommend Picasa as great storage and organizational tool. With geotagging, facial recognition, and personalized tags on photos, Picasa can help you create a very efficient photo storage system. Not only can you organize efficiently with Picasa, but also you can backup your picture storage online. However, if you are simply looking for a photo editing option, Picasa is probably not the right software for you.

Even Sax Alameda, CA

Overall I am pretty happy. The search features and the AI recognition is really convenient. It is too bad that they don't offer free storage of medium quality photos still, but I did not use that anyway as their storage plans are cheap and I wanted to keep highest quality photos. The only thing I would really prefer is if they had better integration with iphone quick video photos.

Jennifer Cale Conway, AR

Google Photos is a free app that gives the opportunity to store, organize, and edit your photos. I use Google Photos to free up storage on my phone. A key feature I love is the memories feature; every day Google Photos can notify you of certain memories throughout the year that occurred on a specific day.

Stephanie Byrd Miami, FL

Google photos is superb!! It’s always super intriguing to sit around with your family and swipe to see memories from year after year. This storage is phenomenal. Google Photos keeps my dearest memories stored and I’m truly thankful for this app!

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I LOVE using Google Photos. I wasn’t very tech-savvy before my husband and I got married, and then he showed me this app, and it’s AMAZING. I love having all of my pictures saved to the cloud for free. It has saved so much space on my phone.

Jacinda E Sandy, UT

Since purchasing our Google pixel, Google photos is where all of our pictures are automatically stored. I can login to my Gmail anywhere and share the photos to any social media or through email. So simple to use and saves a lot of time.

Lindsey American Fork, UT

I LOVE GOOGLE PHOTOS. It uploads directly from my phone. I have bought room for more storage through my google/gmail account and love having everything right there. I can organize my photos into albums and files, and can even make photo books. It's also easy to share photos with people.

Emerald Scott West Jordan, UT

I really like google photos. I have a google phone so all my pictures automatically go there. I really like that I can access them anywhere on any device and how easy it is to do simple edits and share with friends and family.

Derek Heiner Centerville, UT

I like how Google Photos automatically makes things for you as you take the pictures. It makes it really easy to keep things in check. I also like how they do a discover this day, to remind you of things that have happened and they give you unlimited storage for all the photos that I want.

Summer Porter Managua, MN

Google Photos is great because multiple people can access one file folder and upload to the same. I have gone on several trips abroad and majority of times, we will end up using Google Photos as the mean to share and access memories from the trip.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

Easy and fast way to save my photos and to be able to have them in a secure locations where I won't lose them or if something happens to my phone. I also love their reminders of events with photos.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I have an iPhone, but prefer the Google Cloud. I use Google Photos to back-up my photos from my mobile device. I like that it auto-syncs on its own when I'm on wifi, and I don't have to sync it manually. It is a free service, and gives you quite a bit of space. I like how it auto-groups, and reminds me of trips or past moments a later dates.

Sara Jane Crestwood, KY

My go-to photo sharing and archiving site, especially since thy started the automatic iphone photo back up. It is such a phone space saver! Sharing is easy. And the interface is good both online and in the app.

Pete Centerville, UT

I love how Google Photos will take the pictures you've taken and make them into a slideshow or video for you without you even having to do it. It's really simple and convenient. It's also really easy to share photos you've taken with others. I like it.

Brooklyn Bishop Smithfield, UT

I love google photos! It always has my photos backed up so I never have to worry about losing my pictures. I would totally recommend to everyone!

Lori Fletcher Saratoga Springs, UT

Google Photos is my new best friend! All my photos are now organized by face recognition. Makes for an easy birthday album to make for my daughter this year!

Eric San Diego, CA

Google Photos is great for storing and sharing your precious photos that you have not backed up to the cloud. As is with other Google products the quality is top notch.

L. Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

This is a service that I have been able to receive through my google account and I use it every so often. It is not my go to photo stop but I appreciate that my photos are saved her if I need them later. The quality of the photo depends on the size that you choose to have it be saved and I like that feature.

Christina Whelan Norcross, GA

google photos is a great service. it frees up storage on my phone and it lets my access my photos from any device :)

Shayla Jones Eagle Mountain, UT

It’s soo awesome to have all of my photos in one place! I love how easy it is to find a specific photo!

Corinne Craig Eagle Mountain, UT

I have loved having the google photos app on my phone. The search feature is awesome and makes it so easy to find pictures

Nishita McLean, VA

I like that all my pictures are stored in one place, the inbuilt editing options are really amazing. Highly recommend having it on your devices.

Valerie Gundersen American Fork, UT

I love having Google Photos on my iPhone! I can take as many pics as I want and I don’t have to worry about running out of space!

Natalia Correa MDTribe Tallahassee, FL

I love google photos. They have really cool features which helps you find specific pictures very easily.

Isabelle Hong Pleasant Grove, UT

Google Photos is great for backing up the photos you never want to loose. It's also great for sharing pictures.

Hunter Kasprzyk Gilbert, AZ

Although it isn't the best option. If you have an android it is the best option available to you and it does everything you need.

Cole Bailey Houston, TX

Google photos is a great way to back up a ton of photos that are taking up space on your phone or computer.

Collin bowman Ellisville, MS

My photos are well organized and I can get a photo quickly and i makes it easier for me

Martha Sensiba Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ

Once I started using Google Photos I have freed up space on my phone for other things. It's very useful to have.

amycray Bangor, ME

Just an automatic app on my phone but works fine

Amelia Gibson South Jordan, UT

I like this way of sharing photos, they are very straight forward and easy to use.

A Craw Draper, UT

Love the free storage it offers. I am so grateful for this service.