Picasa is an image organizing website that was started in 2002. Google offers Picasa as free photography software that supports Google's photo sharing capabilities online. Essentially, Picasa allows users to organize, view, and edit their photos on their personal computer. The user also has the option to backup their photos online in Web Picasa for online storage and convenient sharing to social media sites. Picasa is available for both Windows and Mac users. Picasa will also automatically sync with iPhoto or similar competing software to ensure users a smooth transition into Picasa.

#1 CanvasPeople chevron_right
#3 Instagram chevron_right

The Good

• Organizational tools
  • Great features
  • Free account

Picasa is a great software to edit and organize photos. Although the formatting of software looks outdated, it has simple, convenient, and reliable organizational tools. Not only will your pictures be organized on your home computer, but also you can access them online when you sync Picasa with your Google accounts. You can store up to 15 GB of photos online when you sync Picasa with your Google+. Some features are:

• Bulk file import
  • Picture search
  • Facial recognition
  • Slideshow mode
  • Free online storage
  • Automatic upload
  • Geotagging
  • Syncs with Google+
  • Basic photo editing
  • Album sharing

Picasa is free and their automatic photo synchronization makes it an easy set up. Not only will Picasa automatically sync with your current picture-storing program, but also it allows for quick bulk file uploads. Once your pictures are synced, they can be organized in files by date and also tagged with important information such as location, names, and informative tag lines.

Organizing photos by taglines, names, and location will revolutionize the way you find your photos. Once tagged, you can simply type in search words like "New Years", "San Francisco", or "John Smith" to quickly find the photo you are looking for. Now you don't have to open and close a bunch of folders to find the right picture, you simply type what you need in the search bar.

Lastly, the 15 GB of free space on Web Picasa not only serves as a secure backup for your photos, but it also allows you to easily share pictures on Google+ or send your friends private links to view a photo album.

The Bad

• Many ads
  • Additional storage is expensive

Although Picasa is pretty good for free image software, there are a few things to keep in mind when using Picasa. Picasa is freeware so most of their money is made from advertisements. The biggest problem with Google advertisements is syndicated services. This means third-party companies can view your pictures on Web Picasa in order to personalize your advertisements. Here are some things to be aware of:

• Advertisements without upgrade
  • Additional storage space is costly
  • Syndicated services for advertisements
  • Promoted usage of Google+ instead of Web Picasa
  • Limited photo editing software

Essentially, Picasa is great for organization. However, the photo storage on Google+ would be put to better use if Picasa offered updated photo editing software. Since current trends like filters and advanced editing software are not offered with Picasa, people will turn to other photo editing sites to improve their photos before they sync them with a social network like Google+.

The Bottom Line

We would recommend Picasa as great storage and organizational tool. With geotagging, facial recognition, and personalized tags on photos, Picasa can help you create a very efficient photo storage system. Not only can you organize efficiently with Picasa, but also you can backup your picture storage online. However, if you are simply looking for a photo editing option, Picasa is probably not the right software for you.

4.8

Cole Bailey

March 7th, 2020 Houston, TX

Google photos is a great way to back up a ton of photos that are taking up space on your phone or computer.

Natalia Correa MDTribe

March 4th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

I love google photos. They have really cool features which helps you find specific pictures very easily.

Lori Fletcher

February 13th, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT

Google Photos is my new best friend! All my photos are now organized by face recognition. Makes for an easy birthday album to make for my daughter this year!

Summer Porter

February 12th, 2020 Managua, MN

Google Photos is great because multiple people can access one file folder and upload to the same. I have gone on several trips abroad and majority of times, we will end up using Google Photos as the mean to share and access memories from the trip.

Corinne Craig

February 9th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT

I have loved having the google photos app on my phone. The search feature is awesome and makes it so easy to find pictures

Collin bowman

January 17th, 2020 Ellisville, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My photos are well organized and I can get a photo quickly and i makes it easier for me

Nishita

December 3rd, 2018 McLean, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like that all my pictures are stored in one place, the inbuilt editing options are really amazing. Highly recommend having it on your devices.

Eric

November 20th, 2018 San Diego, CA

Google Photos is great for storing and sharing your precious photos that you have not backed up to the cloud. As is with other Google products the quality is top notch.

Isabelle Hong

October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Google Photos is great for backing up the photos you never want to loose. It's also great for sharing pictures.

Thomas Hullinger

August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy and fast way to save my photos and to be able to have them in a secure locations where I won't lose them or if something happens to my phone. I also love their reminders of events with photos.

Lesa Burgess

August 20th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have an iPhone, but prefer the Google Cloud. I use Google Photos to back-up my photos from my mobile device. I like that it auto-syncs on its own when I'm on wifi, and I don't have to sync it manually. It is a free service, and gives you quite a bit of space. I like how it auto-groups, and reminds me of trips or past moments a later dates.

Sara Jane

July 18th, 2018 Crestwood, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My go-to photo sharing and archiving site, especially since thy started the automatic iphone photo back up. It is such a phone space saver! Sharing is easy. And the interface is good both online and in the app.

Hunter Kasprzyk

July 1st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Although it isn't the best option. If you have an android it is the best option available to you and it does everything you need.

A Craw

June 5th, 2018 Draper, UT

Love the free storage it offers. I am so grateful for this service.

Martha Sensiba

June 4th, 2018 Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Once I started using Google Photos I have freed up space on my phone for other things. It's very useful to have.

Amelia Gibson

June 4th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like this way of sharing photos, they are very straight forward and easy to use.

L. Fowler

June 2nd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is a service that I have been able to receive through my google account and I use it every so often. It is not my go to photo stop but I appreciate that my photos are saved her if I need them later. The quality of the photo depends on the size that you choose to have it be saved and I like that feature.

Cassidy Gundersen

December 18th, 2017 Orem, UT

I LOVE using Google Photos. I wasn’t very tech-savvy before my husband and I got married, and then he showed me this app, and it’s AMAZING. I love having all of my pictures saved to the cloud for free. It has saved so much space on my phone.

Valerie Gundersen

December 18th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love having Google Photos on my iPhone! I can take as many pics as I want and I don’t have to worry about running out of space!

Jacinda E

December 14th, 2017 Sandy, UT

Since purchasing our Google pixel, Google photos is where all of our pictures are automatically stored. I can login to my Gmail anywhere and share the photos to any social media or through email. So simple to use and saves a lot of time.

Lindsey

December 10th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I LOVE GOOGLE PHOTOS. It uploads directly from my phone. I have bought room for more storage through my google/gmail account and love having everything right there. I can organize my photos into albums and files, and can even make photo books. It's also easy to share photos with people.

Emerald Scott

December 5th, 2017 West Jordan, UT

I really like google photos. I have a google phone so all my pictures automatically go there. I really like that I can access them anywhere on any device and how easy it is to do simple edits and share with friends and family.

Derek Heiner

November 4th, 2017 Centerville, UT

I like how Google Photos automatically makes things for you as you take the pictures. It makes it really easy to keep things in check. I also like how they do a discover this day, to remind you of things that have happened and they give you unlimited storage for all the photos that I want.

Pete

October 31st, 2017 Centerville, UT

I love how Google Photos will take the pictures you've taken and make them into a slideshow or video for you without you even having to do it. It's really simple and convenient. It's also really easy to share photos you've taken with others. I like it.