Instagram is a social media site that was released in 2010 as an app for iPhone users. Instagram has since been purchased by Facebook and is now also compatible with Android phones. Instagram grew by 23% in 2013 and it still growing in popularity. The idea behind Instagram is to allow people to share interesting photos, in an easy format, and without the need for an expensive camera. On Instagram you can take (or upload) pictures in a square shape similar to a Polaroid, and then edit your picture with a simple filter to share with friends and family.

#1 CanvasPeople chevron_right
#2 Google Photos chevron_right
4.8

The Good

• Mobile app available
  • Unique filters
  • Free account

Instagram is great app if you enjoy sharing photography with your friends and family in a quick and simple format. If you have never used Instagram before, it is similar to Facebook and Twitter, but the focus of each post is a photograph. Here is what we like:

• Free mobile app
  • Picture editing
  • Unique filters
  • Explore pictures
  • Post pictures and videos
  • Search with hashtags
  • Follow posts from friends
  • No storage restrictions
  • Location tags
  • Direct messaging

These reasons and more make Instagram a great social platform for photos. The free downloadable app is simple and intuitive. What really sets Instagram apart is the easy picture editing. Not only can you adjust the contrast, brightness, and sharpness of your photos; but also you can personalize each photo with flattering, adjustable filters that give your photo a unique look.

Instagram also leaves space for your comments about your photo so you can document memories, jokes, or a hashtag so your friends can search for your photo. Your friends and family can see your posts by following you and when they see a photo they appreciate, a simple double tap will like the photo.

The Bad

• Limited storage
  • No organizational tools
  • Limited features

Although Instagram is an excellent social media site, it doesn't offer a lot of photo storage options or any photo organization. Instagram simply displays posts from newest to oldest. Because of this formatting, you do not have the ability to rearrange or group photos in a different order. Here are a few other concerns:

• Minimal privacy protection
  • Strict censorship
  • Low resolution
  • Sponsored advertisements
  • No automatic syncing is offered
  • No downloading
  • No Zoom

One big concern with Instagram is their privacy policy. Instagram does not offer a privacy protection program and all posted photos are considered public domain. This means that Instagram or any other company can use your posted pictures without even asking. Instagram is a great app for the social factor, but if you are serious about photography software this is not the app for you. Instagram does not support bulk picture uploads and it actually lowers the resolution of pictures that have too high of a pixilation count.

The Bottom Line

We would highly recommend Instagram as a fun, social, photo-sharing site. If you are concerned about the privacy of your photos or looking to share photos in bulk, then this is not the app for you. However, Instagram is a user-friendly application that connects family and friends through posted pictures. If you like taking pictures, you should definitely give Instagram a try.

Christina Whelan

October 15th, 2020 Norcross, GA

instagram is ok. i don’t like the changes they’re making on the app, it’s becoming more like facebook with shopping and lots of advertising. it’s still enjoyable but it’s declining in quality

Shante Reeder

September 4th, 2020 Draper, UT

I love Instagram as a way to document my memories! This app has served as a journal for me over the years, and I love that I can look back and remember certain times. This has been a game changer in being able to connect and share with family and friends!

Andrea Diaz-Cepeda

March 16th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not only is instagram easy-to-use but it is extremely user friendly. With every update, the social media app become better and better. I constantly use this app to keep up with my social networks as well as staying updated on news world-wide. This is by far my favorite social media platform and it is because of my seamless experience while using it.

Austin Stelmach

March 12th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Instagram is definitely the superior photo sharing app, but advertisements have begun to show up more frequently which I do not appreciate. Keep instagram ad free!

Theodore Niemann

March 11th, 2020 Boulder, CO

This is a great way to interact and keep in touch with friends and family. However, influencers often take advantage of how impressionable our youth is.

MaryAnn Hagblom

March 9th, 2020 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

i love getting pictures from my kids, family & friends. It’s a great way to keep up on the lives of others.

Sarah Mercival

March 9th, 2020 , FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I can spend hours on this app, their camera has these new filters that I love and you can have group chats with friends and post pictures and watch videos of your favorite things. Their is no bullying tolerated which I wholeheartedly respect

Lizzy Puentes

March 8th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Instagram is such a great app for anyone wanting to post pictures. It is easy to use and simple to manage. It is a great platform to upload pictures. Hashtags are used so more people can see your picture. It is overall a great way to meet people of similar interests and share pictures of your liking.

Jacobrobot321

March 8th, 2020 Baton Rouge, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Instagram is very very bad at their reporting issues. many inappropriate things happen on the site. But it is a good way to promote business too.

cb

March 7th, 2020 Irving, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Instagram is the best app in my opinion for share the pictures you want to be shared! It’s very easy to use for almost anyone and perfect for those businesses looking to get their brands out!

Eric Gagnard

March 7th, 2020 Dallas, TX

A millennial ran social platform where people post what they wish their life looked like. Toxic.

Anita pea

March 7th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Instagram is the perfect place for my social media needs to catch up on family and friends. It isnt even that hard to use. The recommended videos are even funny.

OwenE.

March 6th, 2020 Hattiesburg, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

While the algorithm is quite odd, I love sharing photos on Instagram and seeing the photos that other people share. I have a great time seeing what others post on Instagram!

Natalia Correa MDTribe

March 4th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

I love this app. It is easy to connect with people and leverage the application for your business and marketing purposes.

Jennifer Donnelly

March 3rd, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

I like instagram because I'm able to see what everyone is up to. Im also able to share my life without having to put to much info.

Emily

March 3rd, 2020 Crawfordville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Instagram makes it so easy to keep up with your friends and create a scrapbook of memories without having to print the pictures. I love to scroll down and see all my old pictures and past memories. It is also a really good place to find outfit inspiration and funny videos!

Matthew Cota

February 24th, 2020 Albuquerque, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Instagram, I follow several people, not just my family members but celebrities, I enjoy seeing there pictures of there new outfits while they are at the red carpet, or awards show , and I follow a few toy manufacturers to see all the latest toys, what’s hot and see the new ways to custom action figures, I even post pictures of my cats , Instagram is a fun learning and getting to know people

Zabsanti

February 22nd, 2020 Silverhill, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Instagram is a very good platform for younger people to have exposure to the public sector. However The new updates are extremely inefficient

Cade Boudreaux

February 22nd, 2020 , FL

I love Instagram. I go on the app every single day and I’m able to reach a wider audience than most apps. I love how I’m able to network with people I would’ve never met before because of this app.

Nicholas Genes

February 18th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great way to share experiences and stories without overdoing it. Most people on here spend way too much time makes fake lives and perfect pictures, but if used for family and friends, it’s perfect!

Hallieford

February 18th, 2020 Arlington, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Instagram! I have an account for public use and one for private use! So easy to share picture with everyone.

Eddie Rios

February 15th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Instagram is such an easy way for me to share photos with my friends and family. Its quick and integrated to other online social platforms. That makes sharing a breeze. I like the easy-to-use tools and the high definition of photos have with the service. They keep photo sharing fun and popular.

Lori Fletcher

February 13th, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT

I love everything about Instagram except when I want to search. I don't like all the photos of people I don't know that come up before I've even searched.

Summer Porter

February 12th, 2020 Managua, MN

Instagram is incredible. It's popularity has grown exponentially over the past few years and it has been a means of networking and connecting with people all over the world for me. I have seen how technology has blessed the lives of millions all over the world through this mean. It is simple to navigate and aesthetically pleasing. 10/10 recommend.

Hunter Nobles

February 11th, 2020 Olivehurst, CA

This is a great website/application to keep up to date with your friends, as well as news about your favorite teams or really anything. Also a great way to connect with people who share your interests.

AmyConder22

February 7th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT

Instagram has been a great app to be able to share pictures with family that you don’t see often.

Mykahla Nelson

February 1st, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Instagram! It makes sharing photos or videos so easy and I love that my friends and family farr away can still be apart of my life!

Jesse Rice

January 28th, 2020 Biloxi, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Its a great way to express your feelings on pic and allows the ability to find a ton of cool Memes

Madelyn

January 20th, 2020 Gulfport, MS

Instagram is a great way to share pictures and contact friends and family! I've had Instagram for a few years and it has been very helpful.

Malayah

January 18th, 2020 Norcross, GA

Instagram is a great communication platform. I have family that lives far away and having them on Instagram helps me keep in contact. I love Instagram and would prefer it over any other social media platform.

Jasmine King

January 16th, 2020 Long Beach, MS

I have had Instagram for a very long time, both a business and a personal account. The platform has a convenient design, and it's easy to reach out to people and discover new fans. There's a diverse community, but the report system could use some work.

Dorrie2001

January 15th, 2020 Jonesboro, GA

Love sharing my pictures on this app, I get to constantly stay in touch with my friends and see what they are doing with their lives. I also enjoying being able to DM my friends :)

Collin bowman

January 14th, 2020 Clinton, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My account is amazing and everything is good on here because the photos are crystal

roxanne

June 10th, 2019 Millville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Instagram is so fun and interactive, I love photos and this is the quickest way I can share with my friends whats going on in my life without making a phone call

Jen Paxman

February 13th, 2019 Lehi, UT

Instagram is the perfect way for me to document my family. I am not a big scrapbooker, so Instagram is a quick and easy way for me to take my pictures, write a quick text and save them. I also like that I am able to transfer them to chatbooks so that I can have a printed copy as well. I have a private account and choose not to have any followers, but that is simply for personal reasons.

Katie Marz

December 18th, 2018 Orem, UT

Instagram used to be one of my favorite photo sharing sites but now that they don't show in chronological order anymore it's hard to see everyone that your following. I liked it better before that update.

Tanner Cook

December 15th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Instagram is my go to app for picture sharing and social media! Easy to edit, crop, filter, and post images. I love it!

Nishita

December 3rd, 2018 McLean, VA

I use Instagram more than any other social networking website. The filters are amazing, the keyword tags help me browse the content I want. Love it

Eric

November 20th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Instagram more than any other social media app. I really enjoy the interface and it allows me to share multiple pics in a single post. My only complaint is that the post are no longer in chronological order which I have heard many others complain about as well. Other than that one issue Instagram is the best photo sharing site in my opinion.

Isabelle Hong

October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Instagram in my opinion is the best social media platform. It's easy to use and very trendy. I will admit I spend waaay too much time on it.

Shari Evers

September 16th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Instagram is very entertaining. My teens love sarahah and them posting the comments on their stories. Most comments are great, but some are very hurtful. My kids think it’s all fun and games, but it honestly just needs to go!

Thomas Hullinger

August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Instagram every day. It keeps me connected to my family, friends, and people that live a long ways away. I enjoy being part of their day and sharing my day!

Sara Jane

July 18th, 2018 Crestwood, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Instagram is a good photo sharing tool. The app runs quickly and privacy is good. I do with they had more security for youth DMs. The new TV featuring is nice. It is a fun app. A must have for anyone who enjoys social media.

Anne Starley

July 17th, 2018 Mukilteo, WA

Love Instagram. Doesn't have the same kind of click-bait distractions as other apps like FB.

Hunter Kasprzyk

July 1st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Great app that has so much to offer free of charge. Although it can be used incorrectly most people can use it to see what their friends are doing and express themselves. Receiving mostly positive feedback.

Tom

June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Instagram is an easy and fun way to share memories and life events with family and friends. It has great content as well from famous people or organizations I am interested in.

A Craw

June 8th, 2018 Draper, UT

I love how Instagram helps me edit pictures. I love the format and inspiration that comes from posts.

Avery Fowler

June 7th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really like Instagram! The only problem have with instagram is all the inappropriate images you can see without even trying to see them. One day as I was scrolling through the feed an ad popped up and it was an inappropriate image. But other than that I really enjoy the app instagram!

Amelia Gibson

June 5th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Instagram! It is super easy and fun to use.

Nana Asiata

June 5th, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It is a great way to share your photos and talk to old friends.