PetSmart Logo

5.7

LAST UPDATED: June 22nd, 2021

PetSmart boasts being the largest specialty pet retailer for all pet services and solutions. The company employs about 55,000 associates and operates in more than 1,600 pet stores in the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. PetSmart offers competitively priced pet food and products in-store and online.

PetSmart also provides pet services such as the PetsHotel and Doggie Day Camp. The company actively supports pet adoption through its partnership with the non-profit organization, PetSmart Charities. PetSmart invites more than 3,700 animal welfare organizations to bring adoptable pets into its stores to increase their chance of finding a forever home. Through its in-store adoption program and other events, PetSmart has facilitated more than 8 million adoptions.

In May 2017, PetSmart acquired Chewy.com, a leading online retailer of pet food and products in the U.S., which operates as an independent subsidiary.

Petco Logo
#2 Petco chevron_right
3.6
PetFlow Logo
#4 PetFlow chevron_right
2.9

The Good

• Pet Products
  • Pet Services
  • Learning Center

Pet Products

PetSmart’s website offers a wide variety of pet products for all types of pets. Pet owners can shop for dogs, cats, reptiles, birds, and other small pets and find just about everything their pet could need. Customers can find:

Dog Supplies

• Grooming
  • Health Care
  • Cleaning and Odor Control
  • Wild Bird Food and Supplies

Small Pet Supplies (hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, rats, mice, etc.)

• Food, Treats, and Hay
  • Cages, Habitats, and Hutches
  • Litter and Bedding
  • Cleaning and Odor Removers
  • Toys and Habitat Accessories

PetSmart also offers numerous books and DVDs on various topics. These information books offered are a unique positive for PetSmart. They provide helpful information for pet parents looking to train or how best to take care of their furry friend.

Pet Services

PetSmart locations offer a variety of services:

Grooming

PetSmart claims that their academy-trained Pet Stylists have over 800 hours of hands-on grooming experience. PetSmart offers complete bath, haircut, and walk-in grooming services. Dog owners can sign their pup up for a groom or a bath depending on their needs. Pet owners can schedule an appointment online.

PetsHotel

PetSmart’s PetsHotel is available for cats and dogs whose owners are going out of town. Dogs can stay in either a standard guest room, an open-air atrium that is cleaned and sanitized daily, with hypoallergenic bedding. Or there is a private suite room, for a more private environment, the rooms are each cleaned and sanitized, have a raised cot and have a TV tuned to pet-themed shows. Cats can stay in the Kitty Cottage, and if two cats are brought in, cottages with connecting doors are available.

Doggie Day Camp

Sometimes pet owners can’t spend all day at home with their pets, even though that’s probably what they’d rather be doing. The PetSmart Doggie Day Camp is a fun and safe environment where pets can play. The camp is open 7 days a week, a Full-day includes up to 8 hours of indoor play, while the Half-day consists of up to 4 hours of indoor play.

Dog Training

PetSmart dog trainers use positive reinforcement techniques for training. However, pet owners should be aware that there are some requirements for attending a class:

• Age Requirement - Puppy classes are for dogs ages 10 weeks to 5 months old. There are beginner, intermediate and advanced courses for dogs 5 months and older.
  • Vaccinations - DPP (Distemper, Parvo, and Parainfluenza) and Rabies vaccinations are required for any dog over 4 months old. Owners must have proof and provide it during the first class.
  • Behavior - Aggressive dogs are not permitted to classes. If owners are unsure about their dog's behavior around other dogs or people, they can schedule a free 15-minute evaluation with a trainer to determine if a PetSmart training class is the right fit.
  • Class Time - In each group, there are about 4-10 dogs, and each class is 1 hour for 6 weeks.
  • Missed Classes - Pet owners can contact their trainer to schedule a make-up class. PetSmart can also put a class on hold—for up to a year (if a break from training is needed).
  • Gear - PetSmart recommends that pet owners bring small treats to class every week, as well as a chew toy or blanket. Any flat, rolled, or no-slip collar, face collar, body harness or no-pull harness works great for the class. Also, a 4-foot to the 6-foot non-retractable leash is approved. There are no choke chains, prong or pinch collars or electric collars.
  • Human Dress Code - Pet parents should wear comfortable, non-slip shoes.

Veterinary Care

PetSmart and Banfield Pet Hospital are offering new clients a free office visit and veterinary consultation. Customers can fill out a short form, print off the coupon*, and bring it to their appointment.

Adoption

PetSmart strives to find animals their forever home, and they believe in the power of adoption. Because of this, PetSmart never sells cats or dogs. Combining its efforts with PetSmart Charities, the company helps save over 1,300 pets a day through adoption.

Learning Center

PetSmart’s Learning Center provides new pet owners and experienced pet parents with hundreds of articles about their pets health, happiness, and safety. For customers looking for specific information, there is a learn by pet option.

The Bad

• Varied Availability and Pricing
  • Shipping Costs

Varied Availability and Pricing

Customers may notice that pricing and product availability in PetSmart retail stores may be different the online site. PetSmart terms and conditions state, “Online prices, offers, and selection may vary between our retail stores and Sites and are subject to change. We reserve the right to limit sales, including the right to refuse sales, to resellers.”

Shipping Costs

At checkout, customers will be able to select a shipping method, and the shipping costs are based on the product ordered, and the chosen method.

The Bottom Line

PetSmart presents a wide variety of pet products and services. PetSmart also offers, in-store pickup for online orders and the option to return items directly to a retail store. Although, customers may be frustrated by the varied pricing and availability and shipping costs PetSmart offers other appealing aspects.

The Doggie Day Care, Kitty Cottage, PetsHotel, and the Dog Traning Classes are helpful features for busy pet owners. Another great aspect of PetSmart is its dedication to pet adoption. The company has partnered with more than 3,700 animal welfare groups across North America, and 1 out of every 10 adoptions in North America happen at a PetSmart Charity Center. Recently, PetSmart Charities donated $1 million to support and help pets in need due to Hurricane Michael.

*Valid for new pets. Cat or Dog only, other restrictions apply.

Check out our top-rated Online Pet Stores and compare prices, shipping fees and products.

certi2de Lexington, KY

PetSmart is great when I’m in the go and need to pick up an item for my pet without spending one browsing through the store. I often use their online pickup option to order and pay for products that are typically ready in about an hour.

Michael Lyman Salt Lake City, UT

I have two dogs and buy a zillion dog toys for them. Petsmart has been a really great place to go for toys, leashes, collars, and fun bowls. I really like the hiking equipment they have for dogs. The doggie water bottles, backpacks, and bag carriers are great quality and have lasted us a long time.

matthew Logan, UT

pet smart is a good place to go for an animal i have a golden retriever. and i get his food from there i’ll get him groomed there and they do a really good job. i have also bought some fish from there and they actually know a lot about fish and so they were really good help on that. Website also has great products and delivery is easy to work. Finding products online is easy and lots of options.

Erika American Fork, UT

We bought our sons fish from Pet Smart and had a good experience. The staff was very knowledgeable and the selection was also good. When we have purchased accessories and other things online the price was good and it shipped fairly quick to our house. Pet Smart prices were better then our local pet store so that is why we chose Pet Smart online.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

PetSmart is a really good store and website to buy things for your pets. Sometimes things are a little pricey though.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

PetSmart online makes shopping for my pets super convenient. They offer the same specials as in-store, if not even better ones. Sometimes even shipping is free so there really is no reason to not buy online. I would just say that sometimes their prices can be a little high, and therefore I'd prefer shopping elsewhere. Great selection though.

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

With two golden-doodle puppies, PetSmart tops any other pet store when it comes to providing quality food ingredients. PetSmart has a very wide selection of dog foods with the best ingredients, so I know my puppies are getting the healthiest diet they can. I wouldn't buy dog food anywhere else.

Nick Hansen Eagle Mountain, UT

Since we got our new puppy six months ago, we have become regulars at this place. They hook us up with the latest chew toys and green bones that our dog loves. We've also appreciated the partnership with Banfield, as we bring our dog into the back of their store for all our dogs checkups and medical needs.

Grace Orem, UT

I go to pet smart almost all the time. I have turtles at my house and pet smart has everything they need there which is really handy since I live super close. And all the people there are willing to help you out when you have any questions

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

When I was on their site looking at puppy classes, I felt like the experience wasn't as seemless and user friendly as it should have been. The info was there, I just couldn't find it right away. But beyond that, the merchandise is easy to locate on the site.

Nathan D. Warrendale, PA

Recently my cat had a urinary blockage that required a trip to the emergency vet and then he was prescribed a prescription wet food for urinary troubles. Pet Smart makes it easy to order the food or even pick it up in the store!

Brenda Spanish Fork, UT

My family decided to get a gold fish. I was looking for a bigger tank for him and PetSmart made it easy to order online. They had the best price and made it easy to pickup in store. I love the fish tank we got. It has been perfect.

Jeff B Orem, UT

PetSmart is the only online pet store that I will order anything from. I have always had a positive experience with the products I have ordered along with the timeliness of receiving it. The quality of their products is much better than some of the other online retailers, especially for their prices.

Shawn American Fork, UT

Over all I love Petsmart. Anytime I need a new calf shinbone this is where I’m able to find it. It’s the only store around that has the kind that our dog likes. Staff is always friendly stores are all the set up easy the online function is super easy to use.

Lydia Arnold Alpine, UT

We shop at PetSmart regularly. They have the brands we like and the employees are always friendly and helpful. Sometimes the products (beds, bowls, toys, etc) are a little more expensive that what I can find at stores like Ross or TJMax, but we always buy our food at Petsmart.

Fiona Thomas Gilbert, AZ

A really great store to get all your pet supplies and necessities! I had bought a filter for my aquarium filled with fish a couple months ago and it is still working properly! Plus I love walking around the store and seeing all the cute bunnies, birds, dogs, etc

Josiah Macdonald Pleasant Grove, UT

Petsmart is a great place to get all the things you need for your pet and they will most likely always have what you need. I got a fish there for my siblings and they still have it now and still go back to get new gravel and props for the tank

Hunter Kasprzyk Gilbert, AZ

I don't regularly use PetSmart but I did have to use them because they had an item that no one else had to offer and the process was very painless and simple.

Breanna Jones Salt Lake City, UT

The speciality food that I had to buy for my boss's dog was only sold at Petsmart. They have a very wide selection of food. They definitely know how to take care of animals.

Kenneth Okerlund

A lot of products at a great price. The stores are large enough to not have to constantly feel like I'm trying to fight my way through the aisles like other pet stores.

Megan A McEvoy Tallahassee, FL

I have a Chinese Crested, and she’s a very picky eater for a dog. The staff at PetSmart we’re always very helpful in helping my family and I find food that she will eat, and they always have the best clothing for dogs!

Whitney Stanko Smithfield, UT

Online has a pretty good selection of items. Not always what you are looking for. But easy to work through different sections. Prices are good and has sales going on often. Quality is good as well.

amycray Bangor, ME

Good prices but not as much of a selection as other pet stores

Tom Pleasant Grove, UT

They have everything you need for pets and seem to be very interested in everything to do with pets and pets health and happiness.

Lindsey American Fork, UT

PetSmart has great products, but I think it's overpriced. I could find most of these same products at Walmart for a fraction of the price.

Seth Boudoin Baton Rouge, LA

Great selection of fish and fish tank decorative items. Fish are well cared for and are very lasting. All comes at not too bad of a price and have great selections.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

PetSmart has a tremendous variety of pet supplies. I can always find what I need including pet treats, all at the right prices, all delivered to my door. Excellent!

Don Boren American Fork, UT

I wasn't as impressed with their online offerings. Their selection of doggy sweaters was limited. I have a small dog and they didn't have as good of a selection in his size.

Craig Orem, UT

PetSmart is a great store but the drawback is price. I have found that the same products can easily be found on other online retailers. Good products, just bad prices.

Eliza Anne Jones Provo, UT

I love shopping on the PetSmart website. You can find exactly what you are looking for by narrowing down your search to specific pets, categories, brands, etc.

Charlene Mackay Orem, UT

I shop at Petsmart all the time. I really like their Buy Online, Pick Up in Store option. It’s quick and convenient to grab what I ordered at the front of the store.

Mikayla Ralston Baltimore, MD

Offer great options for every pet, grooming (for the most part) always did a great job, and the online site is super easy to navigate.

Poundesk Saratoga Springs, UT

Petsmart always has the items I need when shopping for our hedgehog. It's super easy to log in and find the things we need.

Bryndie Managua, MN

Good options for your pets! It doesn’t matter what kind of pet you have either, PetSmart has good supplies for all of them

Madelyn Trout Kenner, LA

Petsmart is awesome. They have everything I need for my two dogs and cats. It's layout makes it easy to find things you need.

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

we bought our dog gated enclosure and it was delivered on time looking exactly like what we thought it was going to be. It worked great!

E S Meridian, ID

We have gone to Petsmart for many of our pet needs. They are a good resource of information and also a good place to find good products.

Brittany Bray Springville, UT

Pete smart has everything I need for my dog. I feel they are reasonably priced and they have wonderful customer service.

Kimberli Shaner Meridian, ID

Good customer service and products. Sometimes the prices are higher than other local stores. But the store is a clean and enjoyable place to shop.

Ann Bailey Lehi, UT

I have ordered dog toys and supplies from Petsmart.com. The items arrived quickly. Prices are a little higher than others in the pet industry.

Jack miller Alpine, UT

We have a pet dog and this is our primary source of purchasing his necessities. Good quality and not to expensive. Would recommend.

Emma Gilbert, AZ

I love going to PetsMart in person and shopping online. They always have what my pet needs and I like getting them costumes for every holiday.

Anslie Pleasant Grove, UT

PetSmart is easy to navigate and very informative about all of their products. I would use petsmart again if I ever need something fast for my pet.

Scirro Joned Henderson, NV

Craig Road Vegas has a cashier with a great smile, a great beard and my dog, she loves him!

Amanda Montebello, CA

When online shopping at Pet Smart for my guinea pigs, I found the best items at the most competitive prices.

Wendy Liu Bethesda, MD

Very friendly staff, always willing to help. They give free treats for pets when you bring them along.

Cooper Thompson Pleasant Grove, UT

Petsmart is a great place to get everything that you need for your animal from toys to food they have it all

Zac Marx Brighton, CO

Petsmart is definitely my go to. I can find all of my pet needs online and order them easy and fast.

Liana Colorado Springs, CO

Site to store shipping is usually better than paying for shipping to home. Love their selection of pet toys.

Chloe Magleby Provo, UT

I love using petsmart for all of my animal needs! It has just about everything you can thing of for your pet and more!