PetSmart boasts being the largest specialty pet retailer for all pet services and solutions. The company employs about 55,000 associates and operates in more than 1,600 pet stores in the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. PetSmart offers competitively priced pet food and products in-store and online.

PetSmart also provides pet services such as the PetsHotel and Doggie Day Camp. The company actively supports pet adoption through its partnership with the non-profit organization, PetSmart Charities. PetSmart invites more than 3,700 animal welfare organizations to bring adoptable pets into its stores to increase their chance of finding a forever home. Through its in-store adoption program and other events, PetSmart has facilitated more than 8 million adoptions.

In May 2017, PetSmart acquired Chewy.com, a leading online retailer of pet food and products in the U.S., which operates as an independent subsidiary.

#1 Chewy chevron_right
#2 Petco chevron_right
3.7

The Good

• Pet Products
  • Pet Services
  • Learning Center

Pet Products

PetSmart’s website offers a wide variety of pet products for all types of pets. Pet owners can shop for dogs, cats, reptiles, birds, and other small pets and find just about everything their pet could need. Customers can find:

Dog Supplies

• Grooming
  • Health Care
  • Cleaning and Odor Control
  • Wild Bird Food and Supplies

Small Pet Supplies (hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, rats, mice, etc.)

• Food, Treats, and Hay
  • Cages, Habitats, and Hutches
  • Litter and Bedding
  • Cleaning and Odor Removers
  • Toys and Habitat Accessories

PetSmart also offers numerous books and DVDs on various topics. These information books offered are a unique positive for PetSmart. They provide helpful information for pet parents looking to train or how best to take care of their furry friend.

Pet Services

PetSmart locations offer a variety of services:

Grooming

PetSmart claims that their academy-trained Pet Stylists have over 800 hours of hands-on grooming experience. PetSmart offers complete bath, haircut, and walk-in grooming services. Dog owners can sign their pup up for a groom or a bath depending on their needs. Pet owners can schedule an appointment online.

PetsHotel

PetSmart’s PetsHotel is available for cats and dogs whose owners are going out of town. Dogs can stay in either a standard guest room, an open-air atrium that is cleaned and sanitized daily, with hypoallergenic bedding. Or there is a private suite room, for a more private environment, the rooms are each cleaned and sanitized, have a raised cot and have a TV tuned to pet-themed shows. Cats can stay in the Kitty Cottage, and if two cats are brought in, cottages with connecting doors are available.

Doggie Day Camp

Sometimes pet owners can’t spend all day at home with their pets, even though that’s probably what they’d rather be doing. The PetSmart Doggie Day Camp is a fun and safe environment where pets can play. The camp is open 7 days a week, a Full-day includes up to 8 hours of indoor play, while the Half-day consists of up to 4 hours of indoor play.

Dog Training

PetSmart dog trainers use positive reinforcement techniques for training. However, pet owners should be aware that there are some requirements for attending a class:

• Age Requirement - Puppy classes are for dogs ages 10 weeks to 5 months old. There are beginner, intermediate and advanced courses for dogs 5 months and older.
  • Vaccinations - DPP (Distemper, Parvo, and Parainfluenza) and Rabies vaccinations are required for any dog over 4 months old. Owners must have proof and provide it during the first class.
  • Behavior - Aggressive dogs are not permitted to classes. If owners are unsure about their dog's behavior around other dogs or people, they can schedule a free 15-minute evaluation with a trainer to determine if a PetSmart training class is the right fit.
  • Class Time - In each group, there are about 4-10 dogs, and each class is 1 hour for 6 weeks.
  • Missed Classes - Pet owners can contact their trainer to schedule a make-up class. PetSmart can also put a class on hold—for up to a year (if a break from training is needed).
  • Gear - PetSmart recommends that pet owners bring small treats to class every week, as well as a chew toy or blanket. Any flat, rolled, or no-slip collar, face collar, body harness or no-pull harness works great for the class. Also, a 4-foot to the 6-foot non-retractable leash is approved. There are no choke chains, prong or pinch collars or electric collars.
  • Human Dress Code - Pet parents should wear comfortable, non-slip shoes.

Veterinary Care

PetSmart and Banfield Pet Hospital are offering new clients a free office visit and veterinary consultation. Customers can fill out a short form, print off the coupon*, and bring it to their appointment.

Adoption

PetSmart strives to find animals their forever home, and they believe in the power of adoption. Because of this, PetSmart never sells cats or dogs. Combining its efforts with PetSmart Charities, the company helps save over 1,300 pets a day through adoption.

Learning Center

PetSmart’s Learning Center provides new pet owners and experienced pet parents with hundreds of articles about their pets health, happiness, and safety. For customers looking for specific information, there is a learn by pet option.

The Bad

• Varied Availability and Pricing
  • Shipping Costs

Varied Availability and Pricing

Customers may notice that pricing and product availability in PetSmart retail stores may be different the online site. PetSmart terms and conditions state, “Online prices, offers, and selection may vary between our retail stores and Sites and are subject to change. We reserve the right to limit sales, including the right to refuse sales, to resellers.”

Shipping Costs

At checkout, customers will be able to select a shipping method, and the shipping costs are based on the product ordered, and the chosen method.

The Bottom Line

PetSmart presents a wide variety of pet products and services. PetSmart also offers, in-store pickup for online orders and the option to return items directly to a retail store. Although, customers may be frustrated by the varied pricing and availability and shipping costs PetSmart offers other appealing aspects.

The Doggie Day Care, Kitty Cottage, PetsHotel, and the Dog Traning Classes are helpful features for busy pet owners. Another great aspect of PetSmart is its dedication to pet adoption. The company has partnered with more than 3,700 animal welfare groups across North America, and 1 out of every 10 adoptions in North America happen at a PetSmart Charity Center. Recently, PetSmart Charities donated $1 million to support and help pets in need due to Hurricane Michael.

*Valid for new pets. Cat or Dog only, other restrictions apply.

Check out our top-rated Online Pet Stores and compare prices, shipping fees and products.

L. Fowler

May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is a great store for pets. Lots of variety of items and friendly personnel.

Ashley

May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I shop frequently online at petsmart.com. I like their point system because I get a free treat for my dog almost every time I shop. It is a great way to try out new treats as well. You even get a surprise treat on your pet"s birthday! Just set up your treats account for free and start earning right away!

Reese

May 13th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

PetSmart is a one stop shopping center online for all my pet needs. I like that is easy to navigate and easy to use. The online products are very extensive and I like the explanation of the product. Easy to buy and ship. If I have a problem with anything they also have great support.

Kennedy

April 25th, 2019 Damascus, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

While Petsmart does provide a lot of information on dogs and cats, they seem very clueless on fish. They advertise several different tanks that are not suitable for any fish, while claiming that they have the best interest for your animal. Employees who seem to manage the fish section seem to have no clue of what they're talking about. I would suggest that they hire employees who actually have knowledge on fishkeeping, as fish are among the most abused animals I'm sure. While the cups that bettas are in are usually only temporary, they allow customers to walk out with dinky little bowls that they sell that are much too small and will only result in a dead fish. I am unsure of the expertise of other employees in sections for rodents, reptiles, etc., but they definitely need to improve the fish section.

Eliza Anne Jones

April 15th, 2019 Provo, UT

I love shopping on the PetSmart website. You can find exactly what you are looking for by narrowing down your search to specific pets, categories, brands, etc.

Erich

April 12th, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The website is aweful. Log in, make selection and it logs you out. The recent change to the grooming disenfectant changes left irritation on the neck of my pet where their grooming collar is used.

Mimi Jones

March 28th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We bought a hamster with a cage and food. After a week, my 16 year old daughter was worried she couldn't take care of it so I took everything back. The customer service was great. PetSmart refunded me for the hamster, cage and food & bedding that had been opened. I will definitely shop there again.

wayne sanders

February 13th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have only used pet smart a few times and while it was fine unfortunately didn't really feel like I was able to get any super deals that I couldn't get by just going to the store. the best thing was just that, I didn't have to make a drive to the store and the items I needed were available online. I think ill watch more closely for any online deals that I may have missed and see how that goes.

Rochelle Thompson

February 13th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had our senior dog for two years now. I can always count on Pet Smart to have what I need for my dog. Good customer service!! Benson and I love going to Pet Smart!!

Erin

February 13th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We’ve bought all our pet supplies for our turtles and fish from PetSmart. We haven’t had any problems with our tanks or any of the equipment. A few of our fish died within a week of purchasing them and customer service offered a refund. Their customer service is helpful and friendly.

Brandie Rudy

February 13th, 2019 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love everything about PetSmart. We use their services on a regular basis for our dog Gracie Jo. I love all the services they provide especially bathing, doggy daycare, and hotel services. I trust them with our dog and know that they love her like we do. I also love the online option for PetSmart . They have a user friendly website and an iPhone app that keeps track of my treat rewards and makes it easy to book an appointment or order anything with a few clicks. I recently ordered two items and it was so easy and delivered right to my door. What could be better?

Nate

February 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great for getting gold fish food, my gold fish lived long happy loves with the food from pet smart

Myah Smith

February 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT

I have always loved going to PetSmart for my fish food and my appliances. I would use online to make sure I got exactly what I wanted! Online is always in stock and it makes it so much easier to find what I need.

Christy Suguturaga

February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great selection and great sale prices! Everything a dog lover needs from puppy to good old dog. I have had to figure out so many things for our first pet ever and petsmart has been there for everything. Could not have gotten through the puppy years without them!

Erikka N

February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We bought our sons fish from Pet Smart and had a good experience. The staff was very knowledgeable and the selection was also good. When we have purchased accessories and other things online the price was good and it shipped fairly quick to our house. Pet Smart prices were better then our local pet store so that is why we chose Pet Smart online.

Charlene Mackay

February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I shop at Petsmart all the time. I really like their Buy Online, Pick Up in Store option. It’s quick and convenient to grab what I ordered at the front of the store.

Ann Bailey

February 7th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have ordered dog toys and supplies from Petsmart.com. The items arrived quickly. Prices are a little higher than others in the pet industry.

Valarie Heaps

February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I loooooove petsmart....and so does our dog! I love all the available options and customer service. Their online store is easy to use and had a large selection of items.

janalee sanders

February 4th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

the PetSmart was great to order from and the site was easy to navigate. there was a huge selection of product and the prices were great. I liked that there were a lot of sale items to choose from as well. free shipping was an added bonus

Mauri Brewer

February 1st, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had a hard time finding the filters we needed for my daughter's fish tank. Through petsmart online we found the filter and had it shipped right to the store for pick up.

Jeff Blackett

January 31st, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

PetSmart is the only online pet store that I will order anything from. I have always had a positive experience with the products I have ordered along with the timeliness of receiving it. The quality of their products is much better than some of the other online retailers, especially for their prices.

Beth

January 23rd, 2019 Reno, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I dashed into Petsmart after a work meeting that went too long, stressed about buying textbooks for the semester, and about needing more kibble for my high maintenance cat, on top of chemicals for my fish tank. Shane smiled, greeted me, rang up my supplies with lightning speed, and saved me money with price matching. Suddenly my stress was gone. A ray of sun appeared overhead. I was filled with goodwill toward my fellow man. I floated across the parking lot like an air balloon of joy. And I even made it home in time for lunch. Shane is amazing. Keep Shane.

MaKayla Christiansen

January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

There online store was super fast and easy to use. I searched up what I was looking for and it came right up. I have a pet bird and it was super easy to add everything I needed to my cart and get the products.

Cayla robinson

January 16th, 2019 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Petsmart is the smart way to go they always have what I am looking for! I love the toys there and so does my dog ! I am looking to get another animal and I know that they will have everything I need to make the pet feel at home! Recommend!

Madalyn Johnson

January 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

PetSmart is my go-to place to buy all things for my dog online. They always deliver quickly and i know they will send me quality products!

Shayla Hankins

January 10th, 2019 Lehi, UT

Petsmart is my number one one stop shop for my pets, they provide anything I need from hair trimmers to food to new pets. My family has 5 dogs and we always go to petsmart to get toys, food and more. The workers are kind and very useful helpers.

Autumn Kallunki

January 9th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

PetSmart is great and I love them for collars and toys for my puppy. Delivery is quick.

Marie

January 8th, 2019 Gold Hill, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The fish. I bought 1 Albino pleco for alage. My tank had been thriving healthy for years without any purchases of new fish, I personally breed and raised all I had from 1 day old fry. This 1 PetSmart fish killed my entire population with ick white spots, the ick medication didn't even have a chance to work before they were all dead. I will NEVER EVER suggest PetSmart store seeing on how they clearly will never offer healthy fish. Goodbye to my years of fish breeding dedication, f'you you petsmart!

Shaylee

December 21st, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It is easy to navigate the website and find the things you need. They offer many different things but I especially enjoy the cleaning services they do for pets. Dog trainings are also good.

Chloe Magleby

December 19th, 2018 Provo, UT

I love using petsmart for all of my animal needs! It has just about everything you can thing of for your pet and more!

Magaly De Avila

December 18th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

A little overpriced but the quality of their things is great. Our pets really do deserve the best so it's okay to spend a lot of money on them :)

Gail Smith

December 13th, 2018 Jonesboro, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This has been the worst experience with a store of this size ever. Dont buy on line from them. When i returned purchase to the store as instructed i was not given anything to confirm my return although i asked repeatedly. I still have not gotten a refund even after calling customer service 3 times. Called today and learned it had not even been processed. I will never do business with them again. Poor service. The worst!

Cori Jacobsen Ollerton

December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We recently lost our dog to cancer. We made multiple trips in to Petsmart for various supplies. The staff was helpful and sensitive to all our needs. The Vet dept was very accessible and helpful in our time of change. I was able to shop and find all that I was looking for.

Erin

December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT

honestly so great ! the site is very easy to navigate and my dog loves the items we bought from them. definitely my go to when thinking about pet stores

Fernando Delgado

December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love using the Petsmart online website to buy what i need for my pets and also easy convince option to setup any pet services like the grooming for my dog all on the online website.

Nancy L.

December 5th, 2018 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I rely on PetSmart for all my pet's needs. They have everything you could want and are always eager to answer my questions.

Shawn

December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Over all I love Petsmart. Anytime I need a new calf shinbone this is where I’m able to find it. It’s the only store around that has the kind that our dog likes. Staff is always friendly stores are all the set up easy the online function is super easy to use.

Jaime

December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently purchased a dog kennel online to be picked up in the store, and it was so easy! The online price was even a little cheaper than the in store price, but they told me they would have honored the online price even if I had bought it in store. I ordered it online, and they emailed me when it was ready to pick up, and the employee brought it to the front of the store for me. So convenient! And the employees at PetSmart are always friendly and willing to help.

Jack miller

December 5th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have a pet dog and this is our primary source of purchasing his necessities. Good quality and not to expensive. Would recommend.

HLG

December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Honestly, they seem overpriced to me. I end up getting the same stuff cheaper at Walmart.

Emma Webster

December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

PetSmart is very friendly and well stocked. The workers are helpful and able to supply our needs. Their online site is well organized and easy to use.

Alyssa Lopez

December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

PetSmart has a wide range of products perfect for pet emergencies that can be picked up from your local store at a discounted price. They have several brands that supply similar products, and they are easy to compare based on the thorough descriptions and customer reviews. It also shows how many of each item are in stock at nearby stores and estimates in-store pick up times. It is a very convenient place to shop for everyday pet items, cleanup, and specialty treatments for your animals.

Anthony Sgambati

November 30th, 2018 Rocklin, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love ordering our pet supplies online! PetSmart has a wide variety of products and we always receive our supplies in a timely manner.

Louis Osuna

November 19th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

The food that my family gets for the dog is affordable, and there is a variety of food and materials for all kinds of pets.

Rischelle Mikkelson

November 14th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have a huge variety of products. Whatever I need, I can find. Searching for product is easy. Check out is simple and product has always been delivered on time.

Alyssa Scott

November 14th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Has a lot of different animal essentials. Well advertised and they advertise there pet adoptions really well as well.

Emma

November 9th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love going to PetsMart in person and shopping online. They always have what my pet needs and I like getting them costumes for every holiday.

Lydia Arnold

November 9th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We shop at PetSmart regularly. They have the brands we like and the employees are always friendly and helpful. Sometimes the products (beds, bowls, toys, etc) are a little more expensive that what I can find at stores like Ross or TJMax, but we always buy our food at Petsmart.

Rachel B

November 6th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Their pet collection is great and their supplies has great quality! Always reliable.

Mitch Krull

November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Only shop here. Best selection, decent prices. Always delivers quickly which matters.