PetSmart Logo

5.8

PetSmart boasts being the largest specialty pet retailer for all pet services and solutions. The company employs about 55,000 associates and operates in more than 1,600 pet stores in the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. PetSmart offers competitively priced pet food and products in-store and online.

PetSmart also provides pet services such as the PetsHotel and Doggie Day Camp. The company actively supports pet adoption through its partnership with the non-profit organization, PetSmart Charities. PetSmart invites more than 3,700 animal welfare organizations to bring adoptable pets into its stores to increase their chance of finding a forever home. Through its in-store adoption program and other events, PetSmart has facilitated more than 8 million adoptions.

In May 2017, PetSmart acquired Chewy.com, a leading online retailer of pet food and products in the U.S., which operates as an independent subsidiary.

Chewy Logo
#1 Chewy chevron_right
Petco Logo
#2 Petco chevron_right
3.6
PetFlow Logo
#4 PetFlow chevron_right
2.8

The Good

• Pet Products
  • Pet Services
  • Learning Center

Pet Products

PetSmart’s website offers a wide variety of pet products for all types of pets. Pet owners can shop for dogs, cats, reptiles, birds, and other small pets and find just about everything their pet could need. Customers can find:

Dog Supplies

• Grooming
  • Health Care
  • Cleaning and Odor Control
  • Wild Bird Food and Supplies

Small Pet Supplies (hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, rats, mice, etc.)

• Food, Treats, and Hay
  • Cages, Habitats, and Hutches
  • Litter and Bedding
  • Cleaning and Odor Removers
  • Toys and Habitat Accessories

PetSmart also offers numerous books and DVDs on various topics. These information books offered are a unique positive for PetSmart. They provide helpful information for pet parents looking to train or how best to take care of their furry friend.

Pet Services

PetSmart locations offer a variety of services:

Grooming

PetSmart claims that their academy-trained Pet Stylists have over 800 hours of hands-on grooming experience. PetSmart offers complete bath, haircut, and walk-in grooming services. Dog owners can sign their pup up for a groom or a bath depending on their needs. Pet owners can schedule an appointment online.

PetsHotel

PetSmart’s PetsHotel is available for cats and dogs whose owners are going out of town. Dogs can stay in either a standard guest room, an open-air atrium that is cleaned and sanitized daily, with hypoallergenic bedding. Or there is a private suite room, for a more private environment, the rooms are each cleaned and sanitized, have a raised cot and have a TV tuned to pet-themed shows. Cats can stay in the Kitty Cottage, and if two cats are brought in, cottages with connecting doors are available.

Doggie Day Camp

Sometimes pet owners can’t spend all day at home with their pets, even though that’s probably what they’d rather be doing. The PetSmart Doggie Day Camp is a fun and safe environment where pets can play. The camp is open 7 days a week, a Full-day includes up to 8 hours of indoor play, while the Half-day consists of up to 4 hours of indoor play.

Dog Training

PetSmart dog trainers use positive reinforcement techniques for training. However, pet owners should be aware that there are some requirements for attending a class:

• Age Requirement - Puppy classes are for dogs ages 10 weeks to 5 months old. There are beginner, intermediate and advanced courses for dogs 5 months and older.
  • Vaccinations - DPP (Distemper, Parvo, and Parainfluenza) and Rabies vaccinations are required for any dog over 4 months old. Owners must have proof and provide it during the first class.
  • Behavior - Aggressive dogs are not permitted to classes. If owners are unsure about their dog's behavior around other dogs or people, they can schedule a free 15-minute evaluation with a trainer to determine if a PetSmart training class is the right fit.
  • Class Time - In each group, there are about 4-10 dogs, and each class is 1 hour for 6 weeks.
  • Missed Classes - Pet owners can contact their trainer to schedule a make-up class. PetSmart can also put a class on hold—for up to a year (if a break from training is needed).
  • Gear - PetSmart recommends that pet owners bring small treats to class every week, as well as a chew toy or blanket. Any flat, rolled, or no-slip collar, face collar, body harness or no-pull harness works great for the class. Also, a 4-foot to the 6-foot non-retractable leash is approved. There are no choke chains, prong or pinch collars or electric collars.
  • Human Dress Code - Pet parents should wear comfortable, non-slip shoes.

Veterinary Care

PetSmart and Banfield Pet Hospital are offering new clients a free office visit and veterinary consultation. Customers can fill out a short form, print off the coupon*, and bring it to their appointment.

Adoption

PetSmart strives to find animals their forever home, and they believe in the power of adoption. Because of this, PetSmart never sells cats or dogs. Combining its efforts with PetSmart Charities, the company helps save over 1,300 pets a day through adoption.

Learning Center

PetSmart’s Learning Center provides new pet owners and experienced pet parents with hundreds of articles about their pets health, happiness, and safety. For customers looking for specific information, there is a learn by pet option.

The Bad

• Varied Availability and Pricing
  • Shipping Costs

Varied Availability and Pricing

Customers may notice that pricing and product availability in PetSmart retail stores may be different the online site. PetSmart terms and conditions state, “Online prices, offers, and selection may vary between our retail stores and Sites and are subject to change. We reserve the right to limit sales, including the right to refuse sales, to resellers.”

Shipping Costs

At checkout, customers will be able to select a shipping method, and the shipping costs are based on the product ordered, and the chosen method.

The Bottom Line

PetSmart presents a wide variety of pet products and services. PetSmart also offers, in-store pickup for online orders and the option to return items directly to a retail store. Although, customers may be frustrated by the varied pricing and availability and shipping costs PetSmart offers other appealing aspects.

The Doggie Day Care, Kitty Cottage, PetsHotel, and the Dog Traning Classes are helpful features for busy pet owners. Another great aspect of PetSmart is its dedication to pet adoption. The company has partnered with more than 3,700 animal welfare groups across North America, and 1 out of every 10 adoptions in North America happen at a PetSmart Charity Center. Recently, PetSmart Charities donated $1 million to support and help pets in need due to Hurricane Michael.

*Valid for new pets. Cat or Dog only, other restrictions apply.

Check out our top-rated Online Pet Stores and compare prices, shipping fees and products.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

PetSmart is a really good store and website to buy things for your pets. Sometimes things are a little pricey though.

Rho Gentry Lexington, KY

This past weekend I bought my usual cup of large mealworms as well as a cup of wax worms. This has happened every time I visit petsmart but this was the first time this degree. I only had 20/35 mealworms, the rest were dead. And I only had 25/35 wax worms, the rest were dead and the others looked dark, squishy and close to death. I will NEVER visit petsmart again. They are HIGHLY incompatible when it comes to reptiles. No one had any info about my animals, had no clue about their husbandry. I called to see if I could get a refund on the worms and the lady who answered (who claimed to be the manager) couldn't have cared less that most were dead and wanted me to drive another 30 minutes to get a refund or replace them and I only had that day to do it cause then they would think I fed my animal and tried to bring them back. My leopard gecko actually refuses to eat anything dead so I gaurentee he wants nothing to do with what you all sold to me. This is not the first time. I've actually never purchased a full order with all live worms. I'd much rather find an online vendor with insurance of live feed arriving ALIVE.

Desiree Pleasant Grove, UT

PetSmart has everything you need for your pets! There's a lot of variety of toys, treats, and pet food that I like to get for my fishes and rabbits. I always go to PetSmart and I love the animals that they have, my family and I always like looking in the store to see them.

Mikayla Ralston Baltimore, MD

Offer great options for every pet, grooming (for the most part) always did a great job, and the online site is super easy to navigate.

Ellie American Fork, UT

The website is simple easy to find your way around. They have so many options and good feedback on the reviews available there.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Petsmart online is just as good as in-store petsmart. They have countless items, sometimes more than in-store. They also have great deals and coupons that are online only. The webpage does lag sometimes and prices can be inflated.

certi2de Lexington, KY

PetSmart is great when I’m in the go and need to pick up an item for my pet without spending one browsing through the store. I often use their online pickup option to order and pay for products that are typically ready in about an hour.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

PetSmart online makes shopping for my pets super convenient. They offer the same specials as in-store, if not even better ones. Sometimes even shipping is free so there really is no reason to not buy online. I would just say that sometimes their prices can be a little high, and therefore I'd prefer shopping elsewhere. Great selection though.

SamO Las Vegas, NV

PetSmart is great! I like going there because the staff is nice but also let you have your space. They have animals and toys and food and accessories for animals as well. I would go again.

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

With two golden-doodle puppies, PetSmart tops any other pet store when it comes to providing quality food ingredients. PetSmart has a very wide selection of dog foods with the best ingredients, so I know my puppies are getting the healthiest diet they can. I wouldn't buy dog food anywhere else.

JD Dunklee Norcross, GA

Pet smart’s online selection is so great! My cat loves the toys that I’ve gotten online from here, and the shipping is a great price!

Hunter Brister Norcross, GA

PetSmart has a wide variety of pet care items that are inexpensive and durable. I always go to PetSmart for anything I ever need for my pets.

myles Ragas Houston, TX

Finding my doggy a warm sweater was a breeze with petsmarts website. There is a big selection on dog and cat items.

Anita pea Dallas, TX

Pet smart was an awesome choice to find my pets toys and food. The employees helped me find the perfect food and toys for my dog at a reasonable price.

Trey Farner Norcross, GA

This is where I go to buy my dogs dog food. It has always been super easy for me to get his food from this store.

Alyssa Hansel Tallahassee, FL

I love PETSMART! The online site is great and easy to navigate. I can order food, schedule grooming appointments, and pick up my dog's flea medication all in a few clicks!

Nicole Jones Sandy, UT

I really like ordering pet food and supplies online from PetSmart. As a young Mom who also works full-time, I am always on the go. I typically order my items online during work and then swing by my local PetSmart on my way home. Their site is easy to navigate and I find this process super simple and convenient.

Elizabeth Klemm Tallahassee, FL

I have one dog and one cat and PetSmart makes it so easy to get them everything they need to stay healthy and happy. They have so many clothes, toys, and foods to choose from at a great price.

Haley Tallahassee, FL

Their price matching policy is great but they do not offer more natural products that I would prefer.

Natalia Correa MDTribe Tallahassee, FL

I love Petsmart! They have good prices and their staff are always super helpful! I highly recommend!

Kimi Bayles Sandy, UT

I ordered ordered a leash for my puppy, it was shipped and delivered in reasonable time. I ordered too large of a size, and petsmart exchanged it without any hastle. Great customer service!

russbayles West Valley City, UT

We have two dogs and do all our pet supplies with petsmart. Their early puppy program really helped us save money on a lot of the dogs needs.

Nick Hansen Eagle Mountain, UT

Since we got our new puppy six months ago, we have become regulars at this place. They hook us up with the latest chew toys and green bones that our dog loves. We've also appreciated the partnership with Banfield, as we bring our dog into the back of their store for all our dogs checkups and medical needs.

Seth Boudoin Baton Rouge, LA

Great selection of fish and fish tank decorative items. Fish are well cared for and are very lasting. All comes at not too bad of a price and have great selections.

Heidi Hansen Eagle Mountain, UT

We get all of our dogs toys at PetSmart, and he loves them. They are all really good quality and last a long time.

Julie Taylor Ogden, UT

We love PetSmart. They have such a large selection. You can find specific brands and items.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

PetSmart has a tremendous variety of pet supplies. I can always find what I need including pet treats, all at the right prices, all delivered to my door. Excellent!

Nichole Hiatt Eagle Mountain, UT

I have ordered multiple pet supplies online from PetSmart and I've been pleased with all my orders. They shipped and arrived in the right time, and the items were exactly what I was expecting.

Poundesk Saratoga Springs, UT

Petsmart always has the items I need when shopping for our hedgehog. It's super easy to log in and find the things we need.

Grace Orem, UT

I go to pet smart almost all the time. I have turtles at my house and pet smart has everything they need there which is really handy since I live super close. And all the people there are willing to help you out when you have any questions

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

Petsmart is a good location when looking for multiple needs your animal may have. The resources were great when looking into price matching and other stores.

Claribel Galeano Upper Marlboro, MD

I love these store we have purchased so many products from them and their have so many great things

Bryndie Managua, MN

Good options for your pets! It doesn’t matter what kind of pet you have either, PetSmart has good supplies for all of them

Camille Lynnwood, WA

The ability to make grooming appointments for dogs is very useful! Once my dog is in their system I can get her groomed anywhere.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

PetSmart is a wonderful source for all of your pet needs. They have everything for all kinds of pets. For our dog, she never went without because PetSmart offered great selection and great prices. Home delivery or store pick up made things very convenient. And the grooming services were first rate. PetSmart is a winner!

Amanda Montebello, CA

When online shopping at Pet Smart for my guinea pigs, I found the best items at the most competitive prices.

Madelyn Trout Kenner, LA

Petsmart is awesome. They have everything I need for my two dogs and cats. It's layout makes it easy to find things you need.

Makayla Manus Long Beach, MS

THEY HAVE EVERYTHING!! They always have new shipments in and the website is very self explanatory.

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

I ordered a pet door frame online from Petsmart for approximately ten dollars. It ended up being the wrong size so I called the customer service number and they refunded my money without me even having to send it back or return it to the store.

Juliann Mecham Managua, MN

PetSmart is actually fantastic. They took care of my take well and I had no complaints. I thought that the store was well kept and had a wide variety.

J. Whelan Long Beach, MS

I never thought I would use much online PetSmart shopping, but I do. There are certain treats and products that I will only use for my pets, and often times in the store they are out. I can always find them online and have them shipped to me. I also like their grooming service in their online store. I can set my dog's appointment for whichever groomer and time that is available. I think this is my favorite part of PetSmart online, how easy it is to get a grooming appointment with my favorite groomer.

Emily Galvan Lindon, UT

I love petsmart because of their amazing customer service and how well they care for their animals.

Jasmine King New Orleans, LA

I shop at both my local PetSmart and the online PetSmart, and the products always arrive in high quality for reasonable prices.

Taylor Walker Tallahassee, FL

Pet smart is very smart. Everything is organized, the people are nice, and all the animals are cute. The items are all decently priced and last a long time. You get the most out of your money here.

Asia Bui Gulfport, MS

We have a dog named Chewy and we get him his pet food from the petsmart vet company! He is very healthy and also loves the toys and treats he gets from there

SkylarPickens Gulfport, MS

My puppy and i LOVE petsmart and their low prices! They have the biggest variety of food!

Dorrie2001 Mobile, AL

Very nice pet store, tons of animals to select from. Workers are very helpful and inform you on everything you need to know. Great selection of animal products to choose from too!

Madelyn Norcross, GA

This place has many toys and necessities for my Boxer and cat! I especially love being able to see cats whenever I go to the back of the store.

Wendy Liu Bethesda, MD

Very friendly staff, always willing to help. They give free treats for pets when you bring them along.

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

PetSmart always has what we need for my dog and cat. The grooming salon is great and my Husky, Laska loves the groomers here. They always have the food we need for both animals.