PetSmart Logo

5.7

PetSmart boasts being the largest specialty pet retailer for all pet services and solutions. The company employs about 55,000 associates and operates in more than 1,600 pet stores in the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. PetSmart offers competitively priced pet food and products in-store and online.

PetSmart also provides pet services such as the PetsHotel and Doggie Day Camp. The company actively supports pet adoption through its partnership with the non-profit organization, PetSmart Charities. PetSmart invites more than 3,700 animal welfare organizations to bring adoptable pets into its stores to increase their chance of finding a forever home. Through its in-store adoption program and other events, PetSmart has facilitated more than 8 million adoptions.

In May 2017, PetSmart acquired Chewy.com, a leading online retailer of pet food and products in the U.S., which operates as an independent subsidiary.

Petco Logo
#2 Petco chevron_right
3.6
PetFlow Logo
#4 PetFlow chevron_right
2.8

The Good

• Pet Products
  • Pet Services
  • Learning Center

Pet Products

PetSmart’s website offers a wide variety of pet products for all types of pets. Pet owners can shop for dogs, cats, reptiles, birds, and other small pets and find just about everything their pet could need. Customers can find:

Dog Supplies

• Grooming
  • Health Care
  • Cleaning and Odor Control
  • Wild Bird Food and Supplies

Small Pet Supplies (hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, rats, mice, etc.)

• Food, Treats, and Hay
  • Cages, Habitats, and Hutches
  • Litter and Bedding
  • Cleaning and Odor Removers
  • Toys and Habitat Accessories

PetSmart also offers numerous books and DVDs on various topics. These information books offered are a unique positive for PetSmart. They provide helpful information for pet parents looking to train or how best to take care of their furry friend.

Pet Services

PetSmart locations offer a variety of services:

Grooming

PetSmart claims that their academy-trained Pet Stylists have over 800 hours of hands-on grooming experience. PetSmart offers complete bath, haircut, and walk-in grooming services. Dog owners can sign their pup up for a groom or a bath depending on their needs. Pet owners can schedule an appointment online.

PetsHotel

PetSmart’s PetsHotel is available for cats and dogs whose owners are going out of town. Dogs can stay in either a standard guest room, an open-air atrium that is cleaned and sanitized daily, with hypoallergenic bedding. Or there is a private suite room, for a more private environment, the rooms are each cleaned and sanitized, have a raised cot and have a TV tuned to pet-themed shows. Cats can stay in the Kitty Cottage, and if two cats are brought in, cottages with connecting doors are available.

Doggie Day Camp

Sometimes pet owners can’t spend all day at home with their pets, even though that’s probably what they’d rather be doing. The PetSmart Doggie Day Camp is a fun and safe environment where pets can play. The camp is open 7 days a week, a Full-day includes up to 8 hours of indoor play, while the Half-day consists of up to 4 hours of indoor play.

Dog Training

PetSmart dog trainers use positive reinforcement techniques for training. However, pet owners should be aware that there are some requirements for attending a class:

• Age Requirement - Puppy classes are for dogs ages 10 weeks to 5 months old. There are beginner, intermediate and advanced courses for dogs 5 months and older.
  • Vaccinations - DPP (Distemper, Parvo, and Parainfluenza) and Rabies vaccinations are required for any dog over 4 months old. Owners must have proof and provide it during the first class.
  • Behavior - Aggressive dogs are not permitted to classes. If owners are unsure about their dog's behavior around other dogs or people, they can schedule a free 15-minute evaluation with a trainer to determine if a PetSmart training class is the right fit.
  • Class Time - In each group, there are about 4-10 dogs, and each class is 1 hour for 6 weeks.
  • Missed Classes - Pet owners can contact their trainer to schedule a make-up class. PetSmart can also put a class on hold—for up to a year (if a break from training is needed).
  • Gear - PetSmart recommends that pet owners bring small treats to class every week, as well as a chew toy or blanket. Any flat, rolled, or no-slip collar, face collar, body harness or no-pull harness works great for the class. Also, a 4-foot to the 6-foot non-retractable leash is approved. There are no choke chains, prong or pinch collars or electric collars.
  • Human Dress Code - Pet parents should wear comfortable, non-slip shoes.

Veterinary Care

PetSmart and Banfield Pet Hospital are offering new clients a free office visit and veterinary consultation. Customers can fill out a short form, print off the coupon*, and bring it to their appointment.

Adoption

PetSmart strives to find animals their forever home, and they believe in the power of adoption. Because of this, PetSmart never sells cats or dogs. Combining its efforts with PetSmart Charities, the company helps save over 1,300 pets a day through adoption.

Learning Center

PetSmart’s Learning Center provides new pet owners and experienced pet parents with hundreds of articles about their pets health, happiness, and safety. For customers looking for specific information, there is a learn by pet option.

The Bad

• Varied Availability and Pricing
  • Shipping Costs

Varied Availability and Pricing

Customers may notice that pricing and product availability in PetSmart retail stores may be different the online site. PetSmart terms and conditions state, “Online prices, offers, and selection may vary between our retail stores and Sites and are subject to change. We reserve the right to limit sales, including the right to refuse sales, to resellers.”

Shipping Costs

At checkout, customers will be able to select a shipping method, and the shipping costs are based on the product ordered, and the chosen method.

The Bottom Line

PetSmart presents a wide variety of pet products and services. PetSmart also offers, in-store pickup for online orders and the option to return items directly to a retail store. Although, customers may be frustrated by the varied pricing and availability and shipping costs PetSmart offers other appealing aspects.

The Doggie Day Care, Kitty Cottage, PetsHotel, and the Dog Traning Classes are helpful features for busy pet owners. Another great aspect of PetSmart is its dedication to pet adoption. The company has partnered with more than 3,700 animal welfare groups across North America, and 1 out of every 10 adoptions in North America happen at a PetSmart Charity Center. Recently, PetSmart Charities donated $1 million to support and help pets in need due to Hurricane Michael.

*Valid for new pets. Cat or Dog only, other restrictions apply.

Check out our top-rated Online Pet Stores and compare prices, shipping fees and products.

Millie Fort Worth, TX

We adopted a cat from their store and we’re not given ANY health history- it was emailed later however, it failed to tell us she was sick. She had a virus; 3 days later she became really ill. $600..00 later she is still not well and will most likely will be hospitalized adding $800.00 to our bill. The ER tech told us this is how PetSmart on Hulen treats their pets- she has first hand experience with them.

Desiree Pleasant Grove, UT

PetSmart has everything you need for your pets! There's a lot of variety of toys, treats, and pet food that I like to get for my fishes and rabbits. I always go to PetSmart and I love the animals that they have, my family and I always like looking in the store to see them.

Amanda Smiley South Elgin, IL

I want to give a shoutout to an amazing woman at the @PetSmart in South Elgin, Illinois. I took my dog in for a brand new toy to cheer her up as she was just diagnosed with cancer. Jackie instantly helped us walk around with her. She followed us around with treats for Roxy. My dog absolutely fell in love with her. She let my dog hug her, kiss her, jump on her, and eat out of her hand. This is the most energy we’ve seen in a couple months. She continued to give her love to my dog the whole time. I’m so thankful for this experience and the happiness I was able to see in Roxy again. She didn’t even want to leave the store. Thank you Jackie! Roxy is your biggest fan! We hope we can bring her in to see you again soon.

Beth Reno, NV

I dashed into Petsmart after a work meeting that went too long, stressed about buying textbooks for the semester, and about needing more kibble for my high maintenance cat, on top of chemicals for my fish tank. Shane smiled, greeted me, rang up my supplies with lightning speed, and saved me money with price matching. Suddenly my stress was gone. A ray of sun appeared overhead. I was filled with goodwill toward my fellow man. I floated across the parking lot like an air balloon of joy. And I even made it home in time for lunch. Shane is amazing. Keep Shane.

Rho Gentry Lexington, KY

This past weekend I bought my usual cup of large mealworms as well as a cup of wax worms. This has happened every time I visit petsmart but this was the first time this degree. I only had 20/35 mealworms, the rest were dead. And I only had 25/35 wax worms, the rest were dead and the others looked dark, squishy and close to death. I will NEVER visit petsmart again. They are HIGHLY incompatible when it comes to reptiles. No one had any info about my animals, had no clue about their husbandry. I called to see if I could get a refund on the worms and the lady who answered (who claimed to be the manager) couldn't have cared less that most were dead and wanted me to drive another 30 minutes to get a refund or replace them and I only had that day to do it cause then they would think I fed my animal and tried to bring them back. My leopard gecko actually refuses to eat anything dead so I gaurentee he wants nothing to do with what you all sold to me. This is not the first time. I've actually never purchased a full order with all live worms. I'd much rather find an online vendor with insurance of live feed arriving ALIVE.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

PetSmart is a wonderful source for all of your pet needs. They have everything for all kinds of pets. For our dog, she never went without because PetSmart offered great selection and great prices. Home delivery or store pick up made things very convenient. And the grooming services were first rate. PetSmart is a winner!

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

I ordered a pet door frame online from Petsmart for approximately ten dollars. It ended up being the wrong size so I called the customer service number and they refunded my money without me even having to send it back or return it to the store.

Kennedy Damascus, OR

While Petsmart does provide a lot of information on dogs and cats, they seem very clueless on fish. They advertise several different tanks that are not suitable for any fish, while claiming that they have the best interest for your animal. Employees who seem to manage the fish section seem to have no clue of what they're talking about. I would suggest that they hire employees who actually have knowledge on fishkeeping, as fish are among the most abused animals I'm sure. While the cups that bettas are in are usually only temporary, they allow customers to walk out with dinky little bowls that they sell that are much too small and will only result in a dead fish. I am unsure of the expertise of other employees in sections for rodents, reptiles, etc., but they definitely need to improve the fish section.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

PetSmart is a really good store and website to buy things for your pets. Sometimes things are a little pricey though.

J. Whelan Long Beach, MS

I never thought I would use much online PetSmart shopping, but I do. There are certain treats and products that I will only use for my pets, and often times in the store they are out. I can always find them online and have them shipped to me. I also like their grooming service in their online store. I can set my dog's appointment for whichever groomer and time that is available. I think this is my favorite part of PetSmart online, how easy it is to get a grooming appointment with my favorite groomer.

Brandie Rudy West Jordan, UT

I love everything about PetSmart. We use their services on a regular basis for our dog Gracie Jo. I love all the services they provide especially bathing, doggy daycare, and hotel services. I trust them with our dog and know that they love her like we do. I also love the online option for PetSmart . They have a user friendly website and an iPhone app that keeps track of my treat rewards and makes it easy to book an appointment or order anything with a few clicks. I recently ordered two items and it was so easy and delivered right to my door. What could be better?

Jaime American Fork, UT

I recently purchased a dog kennel online to be picked up in the store, and it was so easy! The online price was even a little cheaper than the in store price, but they told me they would have honored the online price even if I had bought it in store. I ordered it online, and they emailed me when it was ready to pick up, and the employee brought it to the front of the store for me. So convenient! And the employees at PetSmart are always friendly and willing to help.

Alyssa Lopez Gilbert, AZ

PetSmart has a wide range of products perfect for pet emergencies that can be picked up from your local store at a discounted price. They have several brands that supply similar products, and they are easy to compare based on the thorough descriptions and customer reviews. It also shows how many of each item are in stock at nearby stores and estimates in-store pick up times. It is a very convenient place to shop for everyday pet items, cleanup, and specialty treatments for your animals.

Maya Lewis Pleasant Grove, UT

The PetSmart workers and environment makes it my go to store with any of my pets needs. The workers have helped me with any and all of my questions about food and diet with my dog. I have bought animals from there and they live for a long time due to the fantastic care they got while there. Their cages and the store are always clean and welcoming. They have everything I need.

certi2de Lexington, KY

PetSmart is great when I’m in the go and need to pick up an item for my pet without spending one browsing through the store. I often use their online pickup option to order and pay for products that are typically ready in about an hour.

Dorrie2001 Mobile, AL

Very nice pet store, tons of animals to select from. Workers are very helpful and inform you on everything you need to know. Great selection of animal products to choose from too!

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

PetSmart always has what we need for my dog and cat. The grooming salon is great and my Husky, Laska loves the groomers here. They always have the food we need for both animals.

Michael Lyman Salt Lake City, UT

I have two dogs and buy a zillion dog toys for them. Petsmart has been a really great place to go for toys, leashes, collars, and fun bowls. I really like the hiking equipment they have for dogs. The doggie water bottles, backpacks, and bag carriers are great quality and have lasted us a long time.

Nicole Jones Sandy, UT

I really like ordering pet food and supplies online from PetSmart. As a young Mom who also works full-time, I am always on the go. I typically order my items online during work and then swing by my local PetSmart on my way home. Their site is easy to navigate and I find this process super simple and convenient.

Jada Urquhart Orlando, FL

I have a toy poodle and we take him to Petsmart for just about all of their services. We take him there for grooming, the vet appointments, and to get food and toys for him. We schedule all of our appointments online and it’s easy to use there website.

matthew Logan, UT

pet smart is a good place to go for an animal i have a golden retriever. and i get his food from there i’ll get him groomed there and they do a really good job. i have also bought some fish from there and they actually know a lot about fish and so they were really good help on that. Website also has great products and delivery is easy to work. Finding products online is easy and lots of options.

Scott Orem, UT

I buy everything I need for my cat through PetSmart and have always been happy with the result. I get exactly what I order and what is promised and if I ever need to return anything they are more than helpful. I will continue to use them for everything in the future.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

I shop frequently online at petsmart.com. I like their point system because I get a free treat for my dog almost every time I shop. It is a great way to try out new treats as well. You even get a surprise treat on your pet"s birthday! Just set up your treats account for free and start earning right away!

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

PetSmart is a one stop shopping center online for all my pet needs. I like that is easy to navigate and easy to use. The online products are very extensive and I like the explanation of the product. Easy to buy and ship. If I have a problem with anything they also have great support.

Mimi Jones Salt Lake City, UT

We bought a hamster with a cage and food. After a week, my 16 year old daughter was worried she couldn't take care of it so I took everything back. The customer service was great. PetSmart refunded me for the hamster, cage and food & bedding that had been opened. I will definitely shop there again.

Erin Lindon, UT

We’ve bought all our pet supplies for our turtles and fish from PetSmart. We haven’t had any problems with our tanks or any of the equipment. A few of our fish died within a week of purchasing them and customer service offered a refund. Their customer service is helpful and friendly.

Christy Suguturaga Orem, UT

Great selection and great sale prices! Everything a dog lover needs from puppy to good old dog. I have had to figure out so many things for our first pet ever and petsmart has been there for everything. Could not have gotten through the puppy years without them!

Erika American Fork, UT

We bought our sons fish from Pet Smart and had a good experience. The staff was very knowledgeable and the selection was also good. When we have purchased accessories and other things online the price was good and it shipped fairly quick to our house. Pet Smart prices were better then our local pet store so that is why we chose Pet Smart online.

janalee sanders Valley Center, CA

the PetSmart was great to order from and the site was easy to navigate. there was a huge selection of product and the prices were great. I liked that there were a lot of sale items to choose from as well. free shipping was an added bonus

Cayla robinson Sandy, UT

Petsmart is the smart way to go they always have what I am looking for! I love the toys there and so does my dog ! I am looking to get another animal and I know that they will have everything I need to make the pet feel at home! Recommend!

Shayla Hankins Lehi, UT

Petsmart is my number one one stop shop for my pets, they provide anything I need from hair trimmers to food to new pets. My family has 5 dogs and we always go to petsmart to get toys, food and more. The workers are kind and very useful helpers.

Cori Jacobsen Ollerton Alpine, UT

We recently lost our dog to cancer. We made multiple trips in to Petsmart for various supplies. The staff was helpful and sensitive to all our needs. The Vet dept was very accessible and helpful in our time of change. I was able to shop and find all that I was looking for.

maika Orem, UT

this is amazing company. Its amazing because of the prices, customer service and how they have more products than anywhere else. Normally i cant find this one cat litter anywhere else but here so i'm grateful for this company two thumbs up for this wonderful amazing company.

Anne Marie Milne Layton, UT

PetSmart is a great animal store. They have everything you need for almost any animal so you only have to make one trip. The staff is very kind and peasant as well. I have never had any issues with PetSmart. Always great experiences.

Anita pea Dallas, TX

Pet smart was an awesome choice to find my pets toys and food. The employees helped me find the perfect food and toys for my dog at a reasonable price.

Mary Jones Louisville, KY

Holden, I'm told is very hard to groom but Christine did an excellent job ! Actually, it is the best I have ever seen Holden. I think Holden likes it too!

Natalie Chantilly, VA

The management of supplies is weird and very unsatisfactory. Petsmart used to be #1 store I went to for my cat's supply for many years. I finally stopped using it few months ago due to inconsistency of supplies. For past several years, cats food and litter supplies are not stable. I brought to stores managements' attention these issues, but always was given the same response at different stores location - I was told that Petsmart corporate office decides how much and which supplies to route to a store based on popularity of products. Thus, it led to elimination of POPULAR products TOTALLY!!! I asked store managers to bring to corporate's attention that even if it is thought (for some strange reasons) items stopped being so popular, they still should be supplied to stores with the lower quantity, the least. However, nothing has changed. For example, I used to buy Dr Elsey's Senior Cat Litter and Dr Elsey's Long Haired Cat Litter for 11 years, at the same store. It always was supplied before in good quantities and always was sold very fast, which means these products are popular. The same was with different kinds of cat's food, for example Royal Canin Persian Food and Royal Canin Hair & Skin 33 Adult Cat Dry Food. Lately, I feel that long hair cats are discriminated by Petsmart company. I am now using their competitor, Petco and other online sources to buy these products. Such attitude in business leads to store closings and I am sure this would be this company's near future.

Jennifer Yukon, OK

The store in Yukon OK is fine BUT I will NEVER take my baby girl back to the pet grooming people. They are rude and make it obvious they hate their job. They made my baby bleed while trimming her nails and all they said “we won’t make you pay for this” I will never recommend those rude women to anyone!

Shalom Walund St Louis, MO

Their vets will call your dog's cancer fat lumps. They have done it to others and they did it to us even when it became obvious the dog had cancer. They never tested the lumps even when we paid for just that. By the time it WAS obvious and we took her to another vet it was too late. Our dog will die because their vets are lying scum bag scammers too lazy to actually examine a dog or do their jobs at all.

Beverly J. Myers Mount Pleasant, PA

I like shopping at PetSmart so I decided to order Tidy Cat early online from the 2017 Black Friday ad to save time looking for a cart and/or waiting in very long lines dragging buckets of to & from the register. BIG MISTAKE!! I received a confirmation for my order that said I would receive another email when the order was ready. When I didn't receive the second email, I contacted the store and emailed customer care and I was told that the online ordering system was down nationwide. But I was assured that "you will still receive the Black Friday deal and once it was processed in the next 7 days it will be available for pick-up within a hour. You will receive an email telling you when it's ready for pick-up." Today I received an email cancelling the order "due to availability". This is extremely poor customer service. Had I known that PetSmart was going to do this, I would have been there when they opened at 7 AM and made my purchase at that time. It's not like there is a shortage of Tidy Cat! In my opinion, they should have notified me that they had run out, but would fulfill my order when they received their next shipment, or asked me what I had ordered, put the items aside for me and told me that I needed to pick up the order within a certain time period. Wish there was an option to give them "no stars"!!

Pam Cohen Kennesaw, GA

Since writing the below letter to Petsmart, No one from the company thinks my complaint is important enough to respond. My name is Pam Cohen. I took my dog, Ruger, in for a bath at 11am this morning (6/13/17) at the Hiram, Ga location. I left him in the care of your employee Jadan. At 5:00pm, I called your store and was put on hold for a while so I hung up. I called back 5 minutes later and inquired about Ruger. The young lady answering the phone said "Oh, he's been ready." I told her no one called me and her response was "Oh, I'm sorry." I arrived at the store to pick him up around 5:30pm. I was informed that Jadan went home at 3pm. I inquired why no one called me when he was ready and why Jadan left the store without completing her care of my dog. Again, the response was 'Oh, I'm sorry." At this time, I stated that she should not be allowed any responsibilities with animals as it is apparent that she is completely irresponsible. The young man working stated that she has only been working there for 3 weeks, as if new employees of Petsmart are allowed to be negligent because they are newly hired. After my experience today, it is apparent that your employees are trained to respond to customer dissatisfaction by simply saying "Oh, I'm sorry." Well, I'm sorry because this response is completely unacceptable. The employee responsible for my dog went home without calling me and letting me know that he was ready for pick up, which resulted in him being there for 6 1/2 hours for a bath. In addition, at least 2 1/2 of those hours, he was left in a cage while the employees there assumed that Jadan had called me because it was her job and her responsibility. I've been a customer of that store for I know a good year or more. I buy my dog food there and I have my dog groomed there. I can have the dog food delivered to my door from your competitor, but I chose to shop at Petsmart. I can have Ruger groomed at a half of dozen other groomers in the vicinity , but I chose Petsmart. I chose Petsmart because I assume, due to your success, you have professional responsible individuals as employees. After my experience today, I feel that many employees there have little or no training and are clearly given responsibilities above their capabilities. Employees who handle live animals should know better than to abandoned a little dog in their care in a cage and assume someone else is going to care for it. Jadan's actions today were irresponsible and negligent. I am very disappointed with the grooming service Ruger received today and the apathetic response I received from Petsmart employees. I am questioning my decision to support your store.

Susan Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

Petsmart has some pretty great products, we have bought some little animals there as well. We bought our kids some little robo hamsters there once that were super adorable. The cages were a little cheaper than they were at another local petshop.

amycray Bangor, ME

Good prices but not as much of a selection as other pet stores

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

PetSmart online makes shopping for my pets super convenient. They offer the same specials as in-store, if not even better ones. Sometimes even shipping is free so there really is no reason to not buy online. I would just say that sometimes their prices can be a little high, and therefore I'd prefer shopping elsewhere. Great selection though.

SamO Las Vegas, NV

PetSmart is great! I like going there because the staff is nice but also let you have your space. They have animals and toys and food and accessories for animals as well. I would go again.

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

With two golden-doodle puppies, PetSmart tops any other pet store when it comes to providing quality food ingredients. PetSmart has a very wide selection of dog foods with the best ingredients, so I know my puppies are getting the healthiest diet they can. I wouldn't buy dog food anywhere else.

Elizabeth Klemm Tallahassee, FL

I have one dog and one cat and PetSmart makes it so easy to get them everything they need to stay healthy and happy. They have so many clothes, toys, and foods to choose from at a great price.

Kimi Bayles Sandy, UT

I ordered ordered a leash for my puppy, it was shipped and delivered in reasonable time. I ordered too large of a size, and petsmart exchanged it without any hastle. Great customer service!

Nick Hansen Eagle Mountain, UT

Since we got our new puppy six months ago, we have become regulars at this place. They hook us up with the latest chew toys and green bones that our dog loves. We've also appreciated the partnership with Banfield, as we bring our dog into the back of their store for all our dogs checkups and medical needs.

Nichole Hiatt Eagle Mountain, UT

I have ordered multiple pet supplies online from PetSmart and I've been pleased with all my orders. They shipped and arrived in the right time, and the items were exactly what I was expecting.