PetMeds Logo

PetMeds started 18 years ago and is now the largest pet pharmacy in America. PetMeds is a licensed online pet pharmacy much like Walgreens or CVS but for pets. The pharmacy was awarded the Vet-VIPPS accreditation by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy. PetMeds also gives back to the pet community with its PetMeds Cares program. On the website, PetMeds offers a place to share pet adoption stories, receive donations, and even view pets that are currently available to adopt.

PetMeds is one of the largest suppliers of pet products, especially pet medications. The company has served over 8,000,000 customers, offering great discounts and savings. PetMeds has a Vet-VIPPS accreditation with the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy.

Chewy Logo
#1 Chewy chevron_right
Petco Logo
#2 Petco chevron_right
3.6
PetSmart Logo
#3 PetSmart chevron_right

The Good

• Pharmacy Selection
  • Shipping and Returns
  • PetMeds Cares Program

Pharmacy Selection

PetMeds, which is the largest pet pharmacy in America, has an extensive selection of pet products to choose from. The company carries all major brand medications that are sold at vet clinics. There is a substantial number of pet medications to choose from and even allow shoppers to shop based on the condition a pet may have, such as allergies or if a pet needs a specific product such as heartworm medication. The company focuses on providing care products for cats and dogs but also offer some equine care products as well.

PetMeds has 21 categories of products. Including:

• Vitamins
  • Wormers
  • Education
  • New

In addition to a large number of medications and health items, the dog and cat categories include items such as toys, treats, and shelters. The education category contains articles and videos of how to prevent and treat different pet illnesses. If a customer has questions while they are shopping, PetMeds has an online veterinarian ready to answer questions and help in any way.

Additionally, Pet owners can order their pet's prescription medications through PetMeds. Simply, select the prescription item and proceed to the checkout, as a licensed pet pharmacy PetMeds can only dispense prescription medications (e.g., Heartgard Plus, Revolution, Sentinel, Rimadyl) with authorization from a pet's veterinarian. Orders with prescription medications may take as long as 5-7 days to receive, but it mostly depends on how long it takes to get authorization from the vet.

Shipping and Returns

A few positive points about their shipping and returns policy include:

• Free shipping rate
  • Flat shipping rate
  • Shipping beyond the contiguous 48 states
  • 100% satisfaction guarantee

Any orders more than $49 receive free standard shipping. Any orders below $49 receive a flat shipping rate of $4.99; this is one of the lower flat rate shipping prices in the pet store business. PetMeds ships to all 50 states, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. While other pet stores can only ship to the 48 states, it was nice to see the option to ship products elsewhere. The return policy also includes a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all of its products. If for any reason a customer is not satisfied, the product can be returned for a full refund for 90 days. PetMeds will even reimburse veterinarian costs if the pet gets heartworms while using their medication.

1-800-PetMeds can ship non-prescription (OTC) items to Canada with a $14.99 flat rate shipping fee.

PetMeds Cares Program

PetMeds shows their care and commitment to animals through its PetMeds Cares program. PetMeds Cares is a program to help support pet adoptions and shelters. It raises donations and products to send to animal shelters. It also supports pet adoptions by celebrating pet holidays and holding contests to increase the number of pet adoptions.

The Bad

• Animals Catered To
  • Pricing
  • Transparency

Animals Catered To

Unfortunately, PetMeds only caters to dogs, cats, and horses. Most of its products are for cats and dogs. Pet parents with more than just those animals to care for would not be able to make PetMeds an all-in-one shopping experience for all of their animals.

Pricing

The prices offered on PetMeds were slightly more expensive than other pet stores we have reviewed. Many of the products we looked at were in the $35 and up range. This could be a significant deterrent for those not wanting to spend a lot of money while shopping for their pets.

Transparency

PetMeds also doesn't disclose any more information on how fast customers generally received their items. The site listed between 5-9 days. Another downside to using PetMeds was their lack of details about deals and policies. It was tough to find details on their shipping and return policies.

Moreover, while PetMeds advertises a 100% satisfaction guarantee policy, it was not specified whether shipping was included in this. Some sites offer to reimburse shipping and some charge a return shipping fee. PetMeds was unclear on its policy.

There were also no instructions on how to return products. The company stated the reasons that products might be returned, such as a change of mind or ordering the wrong item, but not if exchanges or store credit was given. This lack of information on the policies leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

The Bottom Line

Overall, PetMeds lives up to its title as the largest pet pharmacy in America. Customers looking to purchase their pets prescription medications online should be able to find exactly what they need through the PetMeds online pharmacy.

Additionally, PetMeds offers an exclusive guarantee when ordering from PetMeds Express. The company provides a guarantee that covers pet owners if their vet provided the wrong weight information, they weren't satisfied with the product, or the product made their pet sick. This is one of the few guarantees like this in the industry.

Although the company can offer higher prices, its extensive options are a fantastic resource for any dog or cats health. PetMeds' even has an available veterinarian to chat with on site for questions.

View Best Online Pet Stores

1.0

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

Shirley William Los Angeles, CA

I placed my 1st order on April 13, with all the necessary information. On the 14th I checked back my order only to find that they had called the wrong vet office (this is the beginning of dealing with sheer stupidity!). I contacted them and advised them that their mistake. In the late afternoon of April 16th I checked the status of my order and it was still « pending vet approval ». Again I contacted them only to be told that it was too late and they will contact the vet the following day to get the approval and since I was running out of the meds, they would expedite my order overnight free of charge. Monday April 19 once again I checked to see if indeed my order was shipped and it was still « waiting for vet approval »! I contacted them again only to be told that « they had contacted the vet’s office and was put on hold »! I guess the hold time was unacceptable to them they hung up and DID’NT call back. While chatting online with the rep at 800petmeds, I was told they were currently contacting the vet’s office. I decided to call the vet’s office at the same time. I was on the phone with the pharmacist @ the vet’s office for apx. 5 minutes NO one from 800petmeds ever called them. Not to mention the pharmacist told me « I don’t know why they would be calling us when in fact they know any request for approval needs to be made via email »! So sent that message to 800 petmeds and I was told they were going to send the email request. Sigh, today April 21 I checked to see if my order was being processed once again it was still « waiting for vet approval ». Once again i contacted them and asked why this is still the case and I was told by Jacqueline that this medication « (Gabapentin) is handled differently than most meds because its a controlled substance and cannot be put through electronically. Therefore their pharmacists has to call them. Hummmm I thought they called yesterday and the day before that, and on Friday and Saturday! When I challenged her response, she graciously answered « our office is calling them now, check back later & you will see that took place » « Check back later » IS’NT THAT WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING FOR THE PAST WEEK OR SO???? When I challenged her response she disconnected the conversation!

Lue sobieraj New Haven, CT

They filled my dogs heart meds. I called for 2 days and confirmed order went out. Later in week checked on a 2nd order and accidentally found out they ran out and never sent it out. No call or email. Never again

Sheila Taylor Philadelphia, PA

I sent my dogs diabetic script in by mail Vetsulin. My prescription said 1 plus 4 refills they emailed me saying one was sent after I paid for 5 which this medicine is not cheap. I called and spoke to a man named David. I was outright liked to, he sad I had no refills, which is a bunch of bull crap. I’m 57 years old and certainly can read the prescription. I’m sorry I didn’t make a copy of the script. I see the Vet today I’m hoping they have a copy of the script. I am furious with this company my dog cannot go without his insulin. I will get another scrip today and it surly WILL NOT be sent back to them. There are plenty of other online pharmacies to deal with... beware

Jennifer Harmony-Walker Birdsboro, PA

Very rude and dishonest. Claimed my vet changed the quantity of my refill. Then claimed my dog needed blood work done before they could ship medicine. My vet never authorized blood work and never changed quantiy. Very dishonest company BEWARE!!! Weeks went by in the meantime I'm running low on my dogs Proin (she's been on it since pup incontinent) My vet even told me to stay away from this company. Why are all these reviews falling on deaf ears.

Parents of Dominoe Medford, OR

DO NOT ORDER FROM THESE FOLKS!!!! DISAPPOINTMENT GUARANTEED. This is the message I had to send to them today: Dear PetMeds, I am EXTREMELY UPSET. 🤬 I had a HORRIBLE time ordering on your site. It took 3 days and it still didn't work. Everything possible went wrong. I reached you on Monday via phone and the rep apologized.....acting like it was no big deal....but gave me FREE OVERNIGHT SHIPPING for what happened. Well you screwed up again. My package isn't arriving until FRIDAY BY 8pm!!!!!!!!! My dog could me DEAD BY THEN WITHOUT HIS HEART MEDICINE YOU IDIOTS!!!!!!! How in the world can a company screw up so badly?!?!?!?! I am VERY UPSET!!!! I will never EVER order from you again. EVER!!!!! What are you going to do to correct such horrible mistakes made by your company?! People there need to get more training!!!!!! I expect a response within 24 hours or this will be escalated immediately.

Erin104 Palm Bay, FL

They send me an email for reordering 2 prescriptions. I get a call a week after confirming the order and the pharmacist tells me that I am ordering 1 if them too early! How am I doing it too early when they are the ones sending me the reminder to order again? Then the pharmacist had me count the remaining pills I have. When he finds out I will need more in a week, he questions me about it like I am misusing my 18 year old dogs meds. My dog takes 1 peice of a pill every 8-12 hours (or as needed for pain). I have never been treated this way when ordering his medications elsewhere. The man or woman on phone was rude and unhelpful! I have cancelled the order with 1800petmeds and will happily get them filled through my vet again. They did not care one bit about losing a customer, nor did they try anything to correct the issue. I DO NOT recommend 1800petmeds for elderly animals that require medication to function!!! I will never order with them again for any animal I have due to the way they handled this refill (that they sent me an email saying it was time to order again)!! Terrible customer service!