Petland Logo

Key Details

• Recently Investigated by the Humane Society
  • Wholesale Distribution for Pet-Related Merchandise
  • More Than 45 Years of Experience

Summary

Petland has been in the retail pet industry for more than 45 years. It is a leader in the animal care industry with its ongoing staff training programs, in-store animal husbandry systems, and community service programs aimed at giving homeless pets a home and preventing unwanted litters in the community.

A Petland store carries a wide range of pet supplies from worldwide vendors. Pet owners can find small animal, reptile, bird, fish, cat, and dog products.

Recently the Humane Society of the United States conducted an undercover investigation against Petland. Scroll down to learn more about their findings and what it means for Petland.

Petco Logo
#2 Petco chevron_right
3.6
PetSmart Logo
#3 PetSmart chevron_right

The Good

• Petland Breeders & Breeder Requirements
  • Encourages Responsible Pet Owners
  • Protection Programs
  • Working At Petland

Petland Breeders & Breeder Requirements

One of Petland’s primary missions is to enhance the human-animal bond and provide life-long companions for its customers. Petland encourages the highest quality of pet care and is committed to improving conditions for all dogs in the communities the company serves.

Petland boasts that its puppies make healthy and happy family pets. Petland puppies come from the following sources:

• USDA Licensed Breeders and Distributors
    • Breeders and distributors must have no direct violations on their latest inspection report. As of January 1, 2015, the policy extends to no direct violations in the previous 24 months.
  • Hobby Breeder as Defined by the Animal Welfare Act
    • Small-scale breeders who are dedicated to humanely raising their dogs.
  • Local Adoption Pets That Are Vet Checked
    • Puppies and kittens that come from a local animal shelter or members of a Petland community as a part of Petland’s Adopt-A-Pet program. Petland store operators work with local animal shelters and members of a community to find homes for homeless pets.

During Petland’s time in business, the company has been encouraging the betterment of breeders. Petland requires its breeders to comply with all federal, state, and local laws, as well as, maintain the Petland standards of breeding. The breeders need to uphold these standards to continue working with Petland:

• Obtain a license from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)
  • Consult a veterinarian providing proper medical care
    • The consulting vet must create a written program for the breeder to follow that ensures the health of the dogs is available for the USDA to inspect and review.
    • A breeder must maintain written veterinarian records of the medical care.
    • The vet must provide the vaccinations against diseases and parasites (Parvo, Distemper, Hepatitis, Rabies, internal and external parasites, etc.).
    • Before arriving at a Petland store, every puppy will have received a minimum of two vaccinations against the major viruses.
    • Every puppy will be current on de-worming and preventatives against common parasites.
    • The vet will consult with the breeder team to provide proper nutrition, exercise, hygiene, and socialization for the puppies and dogs.
  • Safe and Comfortable Housing
    • Breeders must maintain structurally sound and protective housing that enables all dogs and puppies to stay warm, dry, and clean.
    • Breeders must protect animals from injury.
    • Animals must have enough room to walk, sit, and lie comfortably (free of urine and feces).
    • Housing must have convenient and easy access to fresh food and water.
  • Frequent Socialization and Exercise
    • During breeder visits, Petland makes sure the breeders provide plenty of opportunities for the dogs to exercise, both with other dogs and humans.
    • Puppies have an open area to run or a group area where puppies can play with each other.
  • State-Issued Health Certification
    • Every puppy sold to Petland must have a state-issued health certificate from the state of origin, signed and attested to by a licensed veterinarian.

Encourages Responsible Pet Owners

Petland stores boast being one of the most reputable breeders in the industry and one of the safest places to buy a puppy. The company standards go well above and beyond government and industry standards, and Petland doesn’t mind paying additional costs to maintain the highest-quality care for its animals. Petland even has a Pets-For-A-Lifetime policy. If a situation arises in which a pet parent can no longer take care of a Petland puppy, the company will help find that pet a new home.

Protection Programs

Petland’s number one priority is to sell happy, healthy pets. The company not only prides themselves on the care of the pets while in the store but when a pet goes home with their new family. Petland has pet counselors who are available to assist pet owners whenever they have a question. This can include anything from which kind of dog food to buy or what vet care is necessary for a long and happy life.

Petland is dedicated to matching the right owners with the right pets, and the company offers several programs to make sure a pet is ready to join the family.

• Puppy and Kitten Health Warranty, which covers health and hereditary issues and concerns.
  • Puppy Resource Kit, local canine resources as well as important pet care information. Petland contains a DVD that offers training for housebreaking, socialization, and obedience.
  • Petland Enhanced Protection Program (PEPP), a strategic partnership combing a national microchip database registry with an Amber Alert type of service, providing extra protection for pets and the family.

Working At Petland

Those interested in working for a Petland store can search for job opportunities near them through the Petland store locator. The application process is relatively simple, job-seekers will fill out an online or in-store application (this will depend on the location) to become a staff member. The company is actively looking to hire professional retail employees in the franchise and company-operated locations.

The Bad

• The HSUS Investigation
  • Limited Store Locations

The HSUS Investigation

The Humane Society of the United States recently conducted an undercover investigation against several Petland locations. The investigation took place between September 2018 and April 2019. According to the Humane Society, many of the animals at the stores were suffering from a variety of illnesses such as seizures, respiratory infections, parvovirus, etc. Many of the puppies and other animals who were sick were either treated by an untrained employee, left to die, or taken to the vet at the last minute resulting in euthanasia. One location encountered a puppy with canine parvovirus and continued to sell puppies to customers without informing them that their puppy may have come in contact with the infected puppy.

While Petland claims to get their puppies from reputable USDA Licensed Breeders and Distributors with no recent USDA violations, the investigation states that the company is “not checking state records on dog breeders or removing distributors from its supply chain even when some of them…...have been linked to issues like the Campylobacter disease outbreak.”

Limited Store Locations

Customers interested in visiting a Petland store will find that they are only located in the following states:

• Alabama
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Wisconsin

The Bottom Line

Petland states that the company is continuously striving to provide people with happy and healthy pets. The company even says that they offer some of the best veterinary care for its dogs and does not cut corners when it comes to the health and well-being of its animals. However, according to a recent HSUS investigation, several Petland stores bypass taking sick animals to the vet to avoid paying costly vet bills and treatments are assigned to staff members with no veterinary training.

Now each Petland location is individually owned, meaning not every site is run the same and therefore may not have any issues with selling sick or infected pets. If you have recently purchased a dog, cat, or another small animal from Petland, make a quick visit to the vet to ensure your new pet is healthy. Or if you are thinking of purchasing an animal from the company, look into a specific location to see if it has had any previous issues with sick animals.

View Best Online Pet Stores

1.7

Pyro Stallion Jenks, OK

I found puppies and subadults crammed into small display cages. Dogs they had out in the cubicles reeked of urine like they haven’t been bathed in awhile or their cages aren’t being cleaned enough. I drove to the back of the store to see if the dogs had anywhere to play outside and get enrichment and I didn’t find any enclosed space for them. They had full grown bearded dragons and leopard geckos crammed on sand and in vertical cages for arboreal reptiles like crested geckos pool was also piling up in the enclosures. They also had arboreal reptiles but no vertical enclosures for arboreal reptiles. Multiple subadult Ball pythons not only being sold for $600+ but also in such a small enclosures as well they had no room to fully stretch out and only had room for a single water dish so these pythons are stuck laying and pooping in their water dishes. All reptiles had improper UVB bulbs! Small animal and bird enclosures were crammed full of animals and open on the top so unsupervised children were reaching in to the enclosures and grabbing the animals and dropping them when they started squirming in their hands. Bettas looked awful! All lethargic and had fins clamped one of the halfmoons had finrot pretty bad. The other fish looked okay though. Ended up leaving without getting anything I was so disappointed and angry with the care of those animals.

Pet Lover Valparaiso, IN

I had a wonderful experience at Petland. I called ahead to see if they had the puppy I was interested in. They did and they put her on hold until I can get there. I played with her for a little while I asked a lot of questions and they answered a lot of questions about the breeder and her health checks. I fell in love with her instantly, I paid cash and they even helped me pick out a few of the things she would need for the first few weeks. They then brought her out with a beautiful bow on her head. I did not go to their doctor I always have my own veterinarian and I took her there about three days after I got her home. She got a clean bill of health. And she’s doing wonderful with her two brothers. I am very happy. All the dogs we looked at at the shelters or either pitbull or some other aggressive breed. I was disappointed. So that’s why we made the decision to go to Petland.

Christina Knoxville, TN

Best experience ever! I went to Petland 2 years after losing my red nose pitty and the manager Alyssa helped us find the perfect furr baby! Thank you Alyssa and Petland for all you do! You all are so amazing!!!!

Laurie Milwaukee, WI

I just bought a beautiful chocolate and tan Miniature Schnauzer from Petland and had a great experience. I made an appointment to view Bruno with Alex and was greeted by an employee when I arrived and told he would be right with me. They have several private seating areas where you can meet puppies and make a decision on what puppy is right for you. I knew immediately when Alex brought this calm, affection 12 week old little boy out. He gave me time to visit and then asked if I wanted to take him home. Of course I said yes. He then took the time to walk me through the store and help me pick out things I would need. He was friendly and clearly enjoyed his job and loved animals. Once this was done we completed paperwork. Alex them helped me load all the goodies they give and things I bought into the car and latched Bruno into his seat belt. Since he’s been home the first night of potty training was a little rough but he’s already starting to understand going outside after only 3 days. He’s already adjusted and is the perfect mix of being playful and affectionate. Now to get the cat to accept him. Petland’s prices were quite a bit more than I’d seen in my search for private breeders, but I wasn’t comfortable picking a puppy out 800 miles away and having them shipped site unseen . There are also a lot of scammers out there so be careful buying a puppy this way. One of the breeders I talked to told me this. I’m happy with my decision to buy my forever friend from Petland.

Ruby Morales Dallas, TX

Went into this place super excited to find a puppy. Found exactly the little guy we wanted. Was he pricy?! Yes he was BUT we wanted him and took him home. Purchase date Saturday April 3rd, 2021 and today Friday April 9th, 2021 he is gone! Passed away 😢😣 We called the pet store Wednesday to let them know he wasn’t doing good and wouldn’t eat or drink water. He wasn’t feeling good. He had vomited the night before. They had me take him into the pet store. When we arrived, they took him to the back and came back about 15 mins later and said they had got him to eat and I could take him home. (I of course didn’t actually see him eat or drink) The vet doctor and tech were there at that time. Switched dog food and told me to call in the next day to take him in to be seen. All night my baby cried and wouldn’t eat or drink much water. We just held him and tried to keep him as comfortable and loved as possible. Thursday morning I took him into the vet clinic. They told me he had Parasites and but he would be ok. He would be staying over night and they would keep an eye on him. Today, Friday in the morning I got a call that he had passed away. Told me his hypoglycemia was low and he was weak and didn’t make it 😭💔 how can a puppy die so quick unless he already had something wrong with him!! We kept him away from other dogs like they said to do so. We have no other dogs at home. Would just take him out to potty and came back in. How?! Now I find out I’m not the only one this has happened too and that Petland had been under investigation for things like this happening. They better cancel/void the charge for having purchased the puppy and him having passed away so quick. I will NOT be making a monthly payment for a puppy I don’t even have! Our family is heart broken and don’t even want another one right now until we can get over what happened.

LKC, Pittsburgh, Pa ,

I have read some of the reviews posted and feel bad these people had bad experiences with Petland. Personally my experience with the store was satisfying. We adopted a mini goldendoodle in Dec, 2018 and have had no issues of illness with her at all. In fact she is a very healthy, happy, playful girl. When we went to the store that day all the staff was very welcoming and friendly. The store was very clean and all the puppies were very playful and healthy looking. No issues in purchasing her and taking her to her forever home. We hope to have her in our family many years to come. Years ago we purchased a long haired dachshund from Petland and she also was very healthy and happy and went on to live her life for 15 yrs. With all that being said, I would definitely recommend Petland for puppy adoption based on my experience there.

Mari San Antonio, TX

I never purchase dogs from a pet store, but I did last week. It was the biggest mistake I have ever made. The dog I purchased has been sick ever since I brought her home. Then to find out there is no return policy or getting my money back for the sick dog they sold me.

Ariel Shrader Flatwoods, KY

Please do not purchase your pets from Petland. If given the opportunity go to a nearby rescue or shelter. If adopting is something you are not into and have a preference for a full bred dog, look up rescues that specialize in those breeds, example "Pug Rescue near me" or go to a responsible breeder. The bare minimum you can do when visiting a breeder is being able to see the parents of the puppy. If a breeder is unwilling to show you then something is off. Do not buy your pets from pet store nor online!!! This is the best way to prevent purchasing an animal from a puppy mill. It's clear these puppies are being sourced from puppy mills- the key giveaway is the amount of dogs getting sick. This is absolutely common for puppies sourcing from puppy mills.

Lisa Peters-Seppala Orlando, FL

Please, whatever you do, do NOT buy a puppy from Petland. One star was the minimum I could give after experiencing utter heartbreak and despair when my beautiful Australian Shepherd puppy died 7 days after I took him home from Petland Waterford Lakes last July. I am STILL fighting the balance on my Petland financing card seven! months later. They do not care about you or what happens to your puppy after you take it home. The necropsy report even said "possible CORONAVIRUS infection" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not buy a Coronavirus infected puppy from Petland!!!!!!!!!

Chris Gonzalez Pine Hills, FL

I purchased a Goldendoodle on December 13, 2020 from this store. On December 15, 2020 he was admitted to the Veterinary Hospital with a severe case of Parvovirus. Unfortunately, a few days later he passed away.. I called the store to advise and they completely blew me off and told me to call corporate. They gave me a number which ended up being a claims center.. I would not buy a puppy from them ever again. This has devastated my family a week before Christmas.. Please do your research before stepping into this place.. With so many families posting and dealing with this same issue, I don't know how they are still in business...

Kara Thompson Humble, TX

while looking for the perfect puppy i held a 3 lbs "8 week" king cavalier who was already fixed and still had stitching and was being passed around to numerous customers, i then asked to see a dachshund who was 10 week and could barley walk i was told it was because she had been laying down for so long but the whole time i played with her, her hips were at a slant and you could tell she was in pain. My experience only got worse from there, a brindle grey bulldog was covered in fleas and i was told he just came from the breeder but was cages with 4-6 other pups. They had 3 13 weeks old labs in one cage with very obvious respiratory issues and 2 13 week old German Shepard as well as a 12 week old rot wilier with no room to play at all. it was a truly horrible experience and i left crying with the fact i had to leave all those puppies there!

Sheyla Fort Lauderdale, FL

Thank you Garfield for all of your help today(07/11/18) you are amazing! You helped us take a new family member home, you and your staff are amazing and greated us with smiles and warm welcomes. The service here is amazing. I promise you, that we will visit

MrsCasa Memphis, TN

DO NOT BUY! If i could give 0 stars, I would. They get their puppies from puppy mills. Investigations on their stores have shown their own employees abuse animals. There have been multi-state infections in humans because of how poorly they treat their animals. Just look it up.

Anonymous Cabin Creek, WV

Terrible. Went for an appointment to meet a dog after getting childcare and driving an hour and they had sold the dog and didn’t bother to inform us. Dogs kept in very small cages. Had teenagers working at their store that were clueless. Pretty simple to keep a list of appointments and call to cancel them. No wonder they have open interviews weekly - this is a dying store with all the mills closing... and for good reason.

MICHELE WAGNER ,

======================================================== BEWARE ======================================================== My husband and I stop in and seen the puppies. There was a Mini Aussie and she was adorable but way over priced $3000.00 and a good breeder is in the area of $1200.00 for a healthy puppy with a 1 yr health Guarantee. We fell in love with Piper and paid the price ... Literally! The Mandatory 10 day inspection was fine. Then at 6mo we had her spayed. This is where the nightmare began. She was hoping on her hind legs. This got much worse as she was unable to walk for long periods. First Vet we took her to said she has a Disease that affects the legs and ligaments and that she needs a $5000 surgery. The 2nd Vet. that we took her to said the exact same thing only the grade of deterioration is a bit worse than the 1st Vet. Said One month later we are still fighting with Pet Solututions, this is the horrible warranty that Petland has. If I spend more money and take her to their vet, they will think about giving me a credit for another new puppy from this wonderful puppie mill establishment. So I asked them what happens when my free puppy mill puppy needs a $5000 surgery. They are not responsible for this. So why exactly am I getting a 3rd opinion. Piper is now being carried by my Husband and I up and down stairs. Unfortunately she can't have the surgery had tell she's done growing which is in November. My question to Petland is this. What happens to all these overpriced puppies that you don't sell. What you do with them to give him back to the breeder who puts a bullet in their little head throws him in the ditch because they didn't make a $3000.00 profit. I notice on your website you flip puppies about every 2 weeks I know you're not selling all of those puppies. Every single one of those little babies are not finding a forever home. The puppy mill they came from certainly doesn't want that puppy back so do they end up dead in a ditch. Please go to a shelter and give a pet a good home if you don't want to go to the shelter then go to a reputable breeder who cares about hereditary diseases and their puppies. Read the other ♡breaking reviews before you dare find yourself where many other are with their loved pets .. and myself. ======================== Beware and LEARN from OUR mistakes ========================

Mike J Lonoke, AR

Way too expensive. Animals weren't being taken care of. Did some research and found they source from puppy mills, and read about thousands of horror stories. Very glad I didn't buy one and support them.

Colleen Broman ,

Talk about a HEARTBREAK! I purchased an adorable puppy from Petland only to discover a number of medical issues as he grew a bit older. The vet said this company, Petland, sources dogs from a huge puppy mill. Long story short, our little one passed away before he was 2. DON"T BUY HERE!!!

Baylee Edmond, OK

Petland is an overwhelmingly awful company. Their puppies are kept in small cages forced to drink out of guinea pig water bottles which they physically cannot do because of the structure of their tongues. They are experiencing vomiting and diarrhea and are provided with no veterinary care. Please please do not give your money to this corporation!

Ronda S Wagner Irwin, PA

Months ago I posted the following review:: So I'd like to change my review since they have changed owners. I've never felt more disrespected and ignored. Walking in we were thinking of getting a puppy since we just put one down after 15 years. We found a mini goldendoodle we fell in love with. The young girl who helped us was sweet with the puppies but the manager Janna I think was her name, was absolutely rude to not only her employee in front of us but all 3 times we encountered the manager she totally ignored us. She kept rudely ridiculing the young girl helping us in front of me by the way. Never once apologizing or even acknowledging that we were there. We ended up buying a puppy and honestly we debated not buying it on the sole reason of how unfriendly and rude she was. Never once smiling or even talking to us about the dog. She used the employee as the one to communicate to us but she was standing in front of us too? We had questions and none of them were addressed to us? We were, told if we take our dog to get checked and anything comes up they would credit us for the prescription. Well my dog had hookworms. So I got meds and took the information to them but there response was, you should have checked with us to see if we'd been able to fill the prescription? Nobody told me they filled them at petland? All they said was credit was given for meds with receipt and within the 10 days of purchasing the puppy. So now that's 30 dollars more added to my price. The girls that work there from what I see are so sweet and caring but the 2 managers I encountered especially Janna were by no means qualified to deal with people!! If I knew the owner information I'd love to speak to him. UPDATE:: After following up with the new owner and thinking I was actually appreciated as a person and customer that just spend, THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS, I was mistaken! The woman that was rude to us, Janna, was not fired like I was told. She was let go... Apparently let go means moved to another store unless needed at the Monroeville location. This to me was not only a shady move but an outright lie to get me to take my posts down and to stop complaining in public. So after seeing Janna back In the store I was hurt and disappointed and felt quite disrespected. I let any compensation that had been offered pass for the moment because I felt the owner was trying to do what was right. In reality what was right by him and his business was his only intention. Enjoy your weekend. #petlandmonroeville #petlandusa #liarliarpantsonfire #kdkatv #wtaetv

KR Hilliard, OH

I would give zero stars if I could. Time and time again, Petland investigations have revealed horrific cruelty toward animals both living and dead, as well as the carelessness of their employees. Dead animals stuffed in freezers inside of garbage bags, animals infected with giardia, parvo, and campylobacter. No ethical company would finance a living, breathing animal to a person who couldn't afford to pay for it outright and be responsible for the veterinary expenses that will inevitably follow from buying a sick mill dog from this store. No reputable store who cared about the health and safety of its guests and pets for sale would just walk over and immediately place a puppy into the hands of a customer who just came through the door without asking first or having them disinfect their hands. My mother-in-law wasn't even greeted before an employee was shoving a sickly looking puppy into her hands seconds after she walked in. What if she had an allergy or fear of dogs or simply preferred not to hold one? Please read the EIGHT Humane Society investigation reports on these stores from all over the US and research a cruelty-free option for purchasing your pets and pet products.

Barbara Spear La Vernia, TX

30 years ago, we bought a beautiful blue and gold macaw from Petland in its location in a mall in San Antonio Texas. We have recently moved back to the area and went to both Petland locations looking for macaw food, toys, and a new perch. Petland had a beautiful article on the Internet about birds and their needs. At both locations, Almost all the large bird food was sold out, and they did not have the food I needed. There was an extremely poor collection of toys for large birds, and they were of extremely poor quality. The same is true for the perches. This store does not begin to supply what a large Bird needs even though they can write a beautiful article on the web. I will never visit that business again. Also, I was very very sad to see where the puppies for sale were kept in the store. The staff seemed totally indifferent as to whether I found the items I needed or not. Very disappointing when my expectations were totally different.

Millie McKinney, TX

I bought a puppy from Petland. She immediately got sick, 9 fats in the hospital. A week after bringing her home from the hospital, she got sick again. My vet tried everything they could possibly do but she died. Thousands of dollars in vet bills and over 2500 at Pet land. They know exactly what they are doing. We are working close with the local humane society and working on getting legal counsel. Please research, you will quickly see this seems to be a commonality with Petland.

Juan Ryan Sastre Holiday, FL

Over priced!!! No way am I going to spend $4,400 on a pet. They were not willing to work with us. It's also bad when the dog is afraid of the workers, so you know they are not treated well. I feel sorry for the golden retriever me and my wife wanted to buy. Hopefully he will find a good home and get out of that store and yet I feel sorry for the person they get to overpay.

Val Midland, PA

I wish i had read reviews before walking into that store. They scam you and are unbelievably deceptive and unprofessional. They have caused me so much distress in the last week. I was misled about a dog and realized fast the dog was unfit. I asked to return her for safety reasons and also for the financing to be canceled. They won't do it and told me if I called again or brought the dog back theyd call the cops and have me charged with harassment and abandonment. IM IN SHOCK. NEVER IN MY LIFE HAVE I DEALT WITH PEOPLE LIKE THIS. STAY AWAY FROM PETLAND!!!!!!!

Dena cruz Miami, FL

Bought a beautiful puppy at Petland spend lotta money on a little mini golden doodle they promised me free food for a whole year as a verbal agreement +40% off everything I purchased To entice to purchase the dog and then they did not wanna honor it they did not honor their agreement very disappointed don’t buy a dog They do not honor their commitment

Disappointed Detroit, MI

Its a pet store they get their puppiea from puppy mills. USDA inspected doesn't mean anything. You can go to a responsible breeder and spend less than half and get a healthy puppy from parents that are tested and free of genetic issues.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

Not the best site to browse on, but once you know how the site works it's doable to navigate. It does have all the treats I normally get my pets, so that's a plus

Chloe Nicole Oklahoma City, OK

Overpriced sick dogs with criminally high interest rates on financing a dog.

no No Allen, TX

Buys from horrible puppy mills and sells the poor dogs for more than legit show dog puppies