Petco Logo

Petco

6.0

Many of the Petco reviews (read below) show that customers are happy with Petco's product selection, fast delivery time, and easy-to-use website. With over 50 years of experience in the pet industry, Petco is a reliable company that pet owners can depend on for their pets' needs.

Here's how Petco is doing today:

Petco is guided by its vision to have healthier pets, happier people and a better world. Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides pet products, services, advice, and experiences.

Petco employs more than 26,000 partners and operates more than 1,500 Petco locations across the U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico, which includes more than 80 Unleashed by Petco locations. Petco boasts that Petco’s prescription services and supplies are from the leading veterinary-operated pet product supplier, Drs. Foster and Smith and the health advice is delivered through PetCoach and petco.com.

The Good

• Repeat Delivery
  • Pals Rewards
  • Shop By Pet
  • Petco Services
  • Exclusively From Petco

Repeat Delivery

Petco’s Repeat Delivery service now includes nearly all your pet supplies including top food and treats. Pet owners can experience how a regular dog or cat food delivery and other pet supply shipments can help take care of your furry family members. Members can enjoy and save up to 20% on select brands on qualifying orders with Repeat Delivery.

Members can choose from thousands of eligible items including dog food, cat litter, flea and tick medication and more. Simply select “Save with repeat delivery” on the product or in the shopping cart, then choose the quantity and frequency. Another benefit of Repeat Delivery? Add-on items ship for free, even if the items have to be shipped separately. Also, members can pause or cancel this feature at any time.

Pals Rewards

Petco offers the Pals Rewards program which allows customers to get 5% back. There is no purchase necessary to become a Pals Rewards member, only an email address. Members will get 1 point for every 1 dollar spent. When a member reaches 100 points, they will receive a $5 reward to spend on anything in the store or online. To redeem points members can:

• Load it onto their account for automatic redemption at in-store checkout
  • Print reward voucher and present it at the in-store checkout
  • Add to shopping cart or edit payment when checking out online

For members who chose to save up their points, Petco will issue the $5 Reward Dollars to the account. If a member earns 200 points in one transaction, $10 Reward Dollars will be added. However, customers should be aware that Reward Dollars can’t be used on same-day purchases.

Shop By Pet

Petco’s extensive selection of pet products is beneficial for pet owners. Petco offers products for the following animals:

• Dogs
  • Cats
  • Fish
  • Small Pets (gerbils, hamsters, ferrets, rabbits, etc.)
  • Reptiles
  • Birds

For dogs and cats, pet owners can find products such as wet and dry food, toys, collars, leashes, apparel, bowls, crates, carriers furniture protection, treats, as well as health and wellness supplies. For fish, customers can find fish food, aquariums, pumps, heaters, decor and more. For those with small pets, reptiles and birds expect to find, cages and habitats, specialized toys, and other products.

Petco Services

Petco offers a variety of services. Pet parents can get their pet groomed, attend pet training classes, sign their pet up for sitting and walking services, receive veterinary care and services, as well as attend pet adoption events.

With the pet grooming services, Petco offers customers to set up a grooming appointment online. Customers can log in to their Petco account, select the grooming location, what kind of grooming service they would like their pet to receive, and select the time and a particular stylist.

The veterinarian care offered by Petco can be a simple vaccination to a full-service consultation. Customers can visit the Vetco Vaccination Clinic or a Vet Hospital.

Vetco Vaccination Clinic

• Parasite Prevention
  • Infectious Disease Screening
  • Microchip Placement
  • $19 microchipping and registration for dogs and cats

Vet Hospital—includes all the services provided by the Vetco Vaccination Clinic plus the following:

• Routine Blood Work
  • Chronic Illness Management
  • Complete Diagnostic Testing

Exclusively From Petco

PupBox

Petco offers a monthly box of various products and training information for new puppy owners. Inside the box can be toys, treats, chews, and other accessories all handpicked based on the puppies age and physical characteristics; every month the contents of the box will change as the puppy grows older, and if the customers are not satisfied with a product Petco will replace it.

Customers have the option to chose between 4 plans (all plans ship free and are paid monthly):

12 Month Plan:

• $34/month

1 Month Plan:

• $39/month

Heads and Tails by Petco

Petco’s iOS app where pet owners can win money for taking a selfie with their pet.

Customers take a selfie with their furry or scaly friend, upload it to the Heads and Tails app, and share with family and friends. If the photo gets 100 likes in 30 days or less, Petco will give users a $10 Petco gift card.

The Bad

• Shipping Prices and Exclusions
  • Backorders

Shipping Prices and Exclusions

Shipping costs are determined by the packages weight and shipping method selected. There is Everyday Free Shipping on orders over $49. However, several products are excluded from this feature such as cat litter, dog litter, ice melter, wild bird food, live fish and rock, aquatic gravel and accents; crickets, live food, and frozen food; out-of-stock items, Donations, Petco or Unleashed by Petco Gift Cards and eGiftcards. Also, the items, cat litter, dog litter, wild bird food, live and frozen food, and oversized items may incur additional per-item shipping and handling fees.

Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands or P.O. boxes will result in a surcharge.

Backorders

If an order cannot be immediately fulfilled, Petco will ship the items in stock. However, the items that are not available will be canceled from the order. Customers will have to go in and reorder the items once they are back in stock.

The Bottom Line

Petco is a great option for a variety of pet parents. The company offers numerous products for all types of animals, as well as pets themselves. Petco provides the convenience of shopping online but has plenty of stores to select from. Customers looking to order their pets supplies online should be aware of the shipping limitations, as it applies to various pet products, as well as the backorder policy. However, the fact that Petco offers so many services and products makes for a successful one-stop shopping experience.

Petco or Unleashed by Petco store will gladly accept the return of petco.com orders within 60 days of the initial shipment date. Before returning merchandise to a Petco or Unleashed by Petco store, be sure to print the receipt. If customers don't have their receipt, they will be issued a merchandise credit for the listed store price or allowed to exchange the product for something else. Shipping charges are non-refundable, and personalized items and prescription food can't be returned to a store. For returns made after 60 days, customers will be issued a merchandise credit for the paid price or allowed to exchange the product for something else.

3.6

Maggie Zou Atlanta, GA

I have been buying from Petco for several years. My cat loves Wholehearted which you can only get from Petco. However, recently I always received case-opened cat food. (The kind of one case with 12 individual canned food/package.) It is not damaged during the process because half of the case is gone! I doubt that they are just taking something from the store shelves and shipped them to the customers. Also, they always ship your items in one order separately, sometimes even individually. For example, if you have three items in your order, then you will receive three packages at different times, and most of the time in a huge box which is ridiculous and causes huge waste. And here is another thing that makes me decide not to buy from Petco anymore. Today, I RECEIVED CAT FOOD THAT IS ALREADY EXPIRED! Already expired more than half a year!!!!!!! I just canceled all my repeated delivery subscriptions and decided to try somewhere else.

Toni Purdy Bullhead City, AZ

The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. They have a wide variety of products and the prices are good.

Julio Santos Oxford, MA

10:50am called Petco (877.738.6742), foreign rep "Fan" answered, indicating the order can't be canceled since it's been shipped. Argued w/ the rep that the shipment may have been processed, but that it's still in Petco's possession, not yet picked up by UPS (tracking shows "Shipment Ready for UPS"), so it's not yet in UPS' possession, and the order needs to be canceled with a full refund back to my credit card. rep indicated she can't cancel the order herself, put in a request to have the order cancelled, and for me to return the order if I should be in receipt of it today. asked rep how I would receive it today if it hasn't even been shipped out, and that we need to find someone to cancel the order if she can't do it, whether it's a spvr or director, and that I don't want to waste my time with someone else that can't cancel the order. rep advised no spvr available at this time, will have one call back on the home tn when they're available. Non-one ever called back again after she got me off the phone.

Flynn St. Petersburg, FL

We had our cat getting blood tests etc and waited as we were told we could. A Petco manager screamed at us “you’re not allowed to wait in here!” “You cannot loiter here!” “You have to wait in your car!” This after 10-12 pet adopters had stood and sat around in the same room for an hour! I have never been so rudely treated in my entire life by someone who is supposed to be in management. I will never set foot in that Vets office again.

Susan Hochstrasser Olympia, WA

I got tired of going to other stores where the cat food brand I wanted was frequently out of stock. I happened to see that petco delivers pet food, and it’s always in stock. Great price and loved that they gave me free shipping and 30% off my first online order. It comes every month and I never have to worry about it!

Misty Lacey Laurel, MS

I have ordered products from this company & was happy with them. Service was good & easy returns.

April aphe8493 Castle Rock, CO

I think petco has some really nice things. I love the amount of different things that they carry and the quality of them. The only thing is they always have these really cute dog collars I want to buy but only make them for super small dogs and I don't know why.

Ellie Cheyenne, WY

Petco has so many options, toys, bedding, and tools available for every animal and need. The site is organized and makes it so easy to find what’s best for my animals.

Haley Nemmers Boulder, CO

My dog goes through a lot of toys, and petco always has cute toys. Their grooming service is also very convenient.

Jacobrobot321 Baton Rouge, LA

We got our cocker spaniel here and she was so marvelous! The online website is great and easy to use though the customer service can take a while to respond

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

I have two golden doodle puppies who love our trips to Petco. Petco always has what we need, and if they don't, the employees are always happy to point us in the direction of another place. I highly recommend shopping here if you have a dog or a cat!

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

This is where I buy all of my pet products. Has lower prices than competitors although it has less items and less variety.

kaylee Salt Lake City, UT

Pretty good. I like that they have so many options. You can find most things you need for dogs here.

Anita pea Dallas, TX

Petco is an amazing place for pets. Their employees are nice and everything. The thing is they dont have everything we needed.

Seth Boudoin , MS

Excellent prices for really reliable service and top quality items that I would need for my dog and fish.

Eric Gagnard Dallas, TX

All coworkers treat your pets with the utmost respect and care they deserve. Trusting and friendly establishment.

DeeDee G. Dallas, TX

The Petco website was easy to order from. I got two new collars and they came in on time and looked just like the picture online.

Clay Magee Dallas, TX

Petco is an amazing resource for filling and maintaining my fish tank with fish. The large variety of pet supplies always ensures I will find what I need.

Nicole Jones Sandy, UT

I enjoy using Petco.com to order pet supplies and food for my fur babies. Their website is easy to navigate and I typically order online and then pickup in store.

Zabsanti Silverhill, AL

I've used Petco online services several times and it has not let down. Their website is easy to navigate and the website often helps you find coupons or find the best price and value for products. It runs smoothly and did not had any issues logging into my account.

Natalia Correa MDTribe Tallahassee, FL

I love Petco. They have awesome prices and everything I am looking for to fulfill my pups needs!

Kilee Wagner Eagle Mountain, UT

Can find all our pet needs at Petco. Easy to find what you're looking for and have a good variety.

Kayle Wilds Eagle Mountain, UT

Great service and products are top-notch for the amount of money we pay for them. I will buy from here again.

meems 2catsmom Burbank, CA

ordered online to be picked up at store (the Petco located at Missouri and Westwood). payment for order was to include $5.00 rewards credit when i went to pick up the order 3 cans were missing and i was told that the store did not have them in stock- i asked about credit and was told that it would be on my credit card. IT ISNT !!!!!!! not only that, i was given a rewards credit of $3.05 - not $5.00 as indicated on my order.... so basically you have screwed me out of almost 4.00 on my credit card and another $1.95 on my rewards. this is really crappy service and i will copy and paste this for Yelp reviews. wish there were a zero-star rating......

JR Suguturaga Orem, UT

Petco has the products I need for my pets and I have usually had good experiences with the online platform. It's straightforward and easy to navigate.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

I simply love Petco. I have bought a ton from their website as they have a great variety and add the convenience of direct shipping to my home. I feel that I can find most anything I need that is pet related at Petco.com. That makes it easy and well worth the money.

Grace Orem, UT

I’ve been to petco a couple times and overall they have everything I needed there. And there service is super good. When I have a question or need help finding something they are always willing to help out without being snotty about it

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

Petco has deals on animal food for a good price. Also their selection of toys is great for any animal.

Lijuan Bethesda, MD

I like this store near our home. I buy fishes there all the time. sometimes they send coupon to us.

Caleb Moore Iselin, NJ

best dog food selection! my pup is super healthy and happy with the food i bought from here!

Jenna Bagley American Fork, UT

They have a good selection of toys and treats for my little guy and its easy to order them on the website!

Bryndie Managua, MN

Petco has a huge amount of products available. Pretty decently priced and the quality is about average.

Amanda Montebello, CA

I typically online shop for my dog at Petco because they offer the best return policy and price on his food.

Roman Christiansen Pleasant Grove, UT

Petco online was a very neat website and I found everything I wanted very easily!

GyrlGeorge * McKinleyville, CA

Originally I’d given Petco 5 Stars, as I like my local store, but now I’ve dropped it to one Star unfortunately. I do feel bad in doing so but I’m upset and angry! I purchased a dog sofa ( I know I know!) for $289 . I chose Petco over everywhere else because they had the best price, and if there were any issues I figured I could go to my local Petco for help. Well Petco decided to over ride or just plain ignore my address and sent it to an old address where I haven’t lived in years! When I placed my order I certainly had my correct shipping and billing address (obviously) and I purchased this through PayPal using PayPal credit and they certainly have my correct address. Now this is where I get really pissed off . Ok, mistakes get made right? So I call them and the lady on the phone says “Well that’s the address we have for you” . She made it sound like it was my fault.! Places the blame on me! I’m online looking straight at my Petco profile while I’m speaking with her and my address is correct, and nowhere in my account information does my old address even exist! So she tells me all they can do is TRY to get UPS to go back and get it and return it to Petco and then I will get a refund! Unbelievable! This isn’t UPS’s fault. Why would they want to do this? So it’s been over a week and NOTHING has been done. I’ve no idea where the , I’m assuming, very large box is. Did the folks it was delivered to just keep it? I’m definitely getting the feeling Petco doesn’t give a *&$# about this. It’s $289 ! This is a LOT of money! So I’m going to turn it over to PayPal. Hopefully they can shake Petco down to refund my money. And I’ll have less aggravation. Listen up Petco! It’s the way you handled this error ( YOUR error) that angers me. Placing the blame on the customer! Leaving this up in the air hoping somehow magically the box will be returned to you and then be so kind to refund my $289. NO I DO NOT RECOMMEND PETCO

Lori Minneapolis, MN

I ordered two boxes of cat litter to be delivered. I received them in a box that was twice the size needed and it was banged up. Consequently the litter boxes were banged up and a lot of litter loose in the delivery box. Won’t order from them again.

Juliann Mecham Managua, MN

I love Petco. There are so many options, they keep it clean, and they always have what the pets need.

Britin McAffee Cedar City, UT

Provides top brands for my dogs food. And very nice toys. Long lasting and good quality

SkylarPickens Gulfport, MS

Petco is very respectful towards me and my puppy. They have a very good service and variety of products!

Asia Bui Gulfport, MS

We got our dogs name tag engraved here and they were all so helpful to us! They also had fresh baked dog treats to buy for our dogs that I thought was so neat!

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

The Petco online store is great and has great choices in food, toys, and accessories. The site is easy to navigate and purchasing is not a hassle.

Christyan Bennett Metairie, LA

Petco has everything I need for my dog and bearded dragon; from my dragons favorite snack, worms, to my dogs favorite treats. Petco is definitely the place to shop for your animals needs.

Wendy Liu Bethesda, MD

Good location, certainly plenty of various choices in pet needs. The staff are very helpful & eager to offer their help. This location also holds reoccurring pet adoption events which is great for the community.

Tiffany Nguyen Atlanta, GA

The store is great, however, I do have some critics about the way they treat the animals. I believe they should put the bettas into bigger tanks, not much, instead of the cups. It would prevent them from dying more often. As for the rodents, put them into bigger spaces, so they won’t feel so cramped. And please to the workers, try your best to take care of them animals, they have feelings and deserve better.

Jacob American Fork, UT

Petco has a great website for purchasing dog food. The user interface is fantastic and coupons and deals are always popping up to save you money.

Andrea C Moran-Melendez Jacksonville, FL

I absolutely love Petco for all of my needs when it comes to my animals. I wish that all pet stores were as great as petco is when it comes to great customer service and finding products that I need

Kayla Tallahassee, FL

Got many things for my two dogs with this company. Everything was simple and affordable.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

I have bought toys and food from here for both my dog and cat in the past. Their prices have always been competitive.

Juan Beaver, PA

I love the selection of dog and car products on petcos website but I do not like the prices. I find better prices on other shopping sites.

Roberson Salt Lake City, UT

Competitive prices for dog and cat food. Always slightly worried whether the animals that are sold their are brought from sketchy places.