Doctors Foster and Smith Logo

Doctors Foster and Smith

Is This Your Business?

LAST UPDATED: October 25th, 2021

In 2015, the popular veterinarian-founded internet pharmacy Drs. Foster and Smith was acquired by Petco.

As of February 2019 Drs. Foster and Smith notified all customers that their log-in information, future orders, and recurring orders were moved to petco.com.

Petco has promised to provide the same product selection, genuine customer care, and great prices that customers received from Doctors Foster and Smith— in addition to perks such as faster shipping and 1,400+ stores nationwide.

A bit about Doctors Foster and Smith background in the pet pharmacy industry:

Over 30 years ago, four pet hospitals in Wisconsin decided to become one of the largest direct-to-your-door pet suppliers in America. Doctors Foster and Smith are committed to providing high-quality pet care at affordable prices. They have even created their own brand of pet products ranging from pet food to cat furniture. The two veterinarians that built the company, Dr. Foster and Dr. Smith, have backgrounds and experience in pet care and education. They have written books, created a television show, and maintain a non-commercial website (PetEducation.com) so people can be more informed on how best to care for pets.

Read what other pet parents are saying about Drs. Foster and Smith (below).

Petco Logo
#2 Petco chevron_right
3.6
PetSmart Logo
#3 PetSmart chevron_right

The Good

• Experience
  • Product Selection
  • Disclosed Shipping Rates

Experience

Doctors Foster and Smith have a lot of experience behind them in the pet service industry. Both doctors, co-founded the company, practiced as veterinarians and have had years of experience in taking care of and educating others on the care of pets. Their business has been around for 32 years and has experienced what pet parents are in need of most. They have grown with the industry and have had the quality customer service to keep them around and thriving.

Product Selection

Pet owners will be able to find a wide variety of products for their dogs, cats, fish, birds, small pets, and even horses. Most online pet stores don’t offer equine products (or offer a minimal selection) Drs. Foster and Smith provide hoof care products, stable supplies, equine wormers, joint supplements, and horse fence/paddock supplies.

Each of the animals provided has a wide range of products, from pet medications, food, shelter, toys, clothing, grooming, and treats to the less often found categories such as travel & containment. Each type of pet had their selection of products specific to their own needs. Also unique to their store is the variety of products from their own brand. The Doctors Foster and Smith exclusive brand has products for each of the animals provided for on the site. Their brand offers excellent quality products at an affordable price.

Drs. Foster and Smith have catalog quick order page where customers can add up to 10 products to their cart with only one click. Simply enter the prefix, item number, and the quantity.

Another useful feature offered on their site is the use of their pharmacy. They offer a full-service pet pharmacy and can fill pet prescriptions right there on the website. They do not need to go through another channel or company to get the pet medications customers need.

Disclosed Shipping Rates

Drs. Foster and Smith offer free economy ground shipping on all orders $19 or more as well as orders containing a prescription item or flea and tick control item. A low flat rate charge of $6.99 is applied to orders under $19. However, customers should be aware that the free shipping and low flat rate only applies to the economy ground shipping to the 48 connected U.S. states.

Drs. Foster and Smith offer the following shipping rates:

For orders $19 or more and orders containing a prescription item or flea and tick control item:

• Economy Ground: Free

• Expedited: $23.98
  • UPS 2nd Day Air®: $16.98
  • UPS Next Day Air®: $26.98
  • UPS Next Day Air® Saturday**: $34.97

**UPS Overnight Saturday delivery can be utilized where available based on zip code.

The Bad

• Lack of Services
  • Return Policy
  • Shipping Frustrations

Lack of Services

Because Drs. Foster and Smith only have one retail location in Rhinelander, Wisconsin; they don’t offer the same number of extra services that other pet stores do. Many pet stores offer grooming, daycares, or adoption events.

Return Policy

Pet owners unsatisfied with their purchase can return the product within 30 days. Drs. Foster and Smith partnered up with UPS to offer customers no upfront shipping fee. Once a return is received a return shipping fee of $7.99 will be deducted from the credit amount, or it can be applied as a balance to pay along with another order. Customers, however, cannot return or exchange prescription medications, and the method of a refund is determined by the original payment method.

A return form will need to be printed, in case a customer loses the original invoice. Some may find having to fill out the form for every return to be an added time-consuming step to the return process.

Shipping Frustrations

Drs. Foster and Smith’s return policy will refund 100% of the price, but they will unfortunately not return the shipping costs associated with the purchase.

Additionally, shipping fees may be added onto expedited or air orders. Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. territories will require air delivery.

The Bottom Line

Drs. Foster and Smith offer some of the highest-quality pet products for a vast range of pet owners. Animal owners will be able to find the products needed to care for the health and well-being of their pet, whether it be dry dog food or insulin and diabetes medications. Drs. Foster and Smith even have an email reminder service that helps owners never to forget to order treats or necessary medications again.  The company is very clear on its shipping prices and policies; however, some limitations might frustrate customers.

Overall, Drs. Foster and Smith have a thorough selection of animal products and offer plenty of sales and clearance items. The company features such as auto-delivery, email reminder system, and veterinary pharmacy are helpful to all types of pet owners. If any questions or concerns arise about the pet products or services, customers can contact a customer service representative through email, live chat or by phone.

Take a look at our top-rated Online Pet Stores and compare prices, shipping fees, and pet products.

2.2

PosterGirl's World Baltimore, MD

Omg! I miss doctor's Foster and Smith so bad when they merged with Petco I was so disappointed because Petco is highly overpriced and I knew that they would lose a lot of their integrity partnering with Petco. When they had their own business on their own website it was awesome they offered everything from a-z at a reasonable price and their products had good quality. I wish somehow they could get it back together and reopen their online store. Petco has ruined a business they had running for over 30 years by themselves and now we the consumers who love them and their products are suffering for it and so are our fur babies. Thanks a lot Petco!!

Nina Lorton, VA

I am very sad to hear that Drs Foster and Smith have sold out to Petco. I'm not a fan of negative comments toward any company unless they have harmed and deceived customers. I will say that Drs Foster and Smith have seen me through 4 beautiful pets, the most recent being an adorable Yorkie. I will miss the excellent customer service, the quick response and the fact that my pet needs were always in stock. Not too sure about the future with Petco, haven't been impressed with the local stores. Thank you Drs Foster and Smith. Where can I find the channel? I'd like to continue to learn about pet care. All the best to you!

VKC

So sad to find out Dr Foster & Smith have sold out to Petco, They were a very dependable company. I always ordered from them since the early 90s Dogs , Ferrets 4 birds and my baby a Great Dane 11 years had congestive heart failure and I ordered all her meds from them for about 8 months and NEVER had to miss a dose. They always had it to me fast. Loved and trusted Foster & Smith. If there was a problem with any of the meds I ordered they would call within 1 to 2 days. Now with Petco I am very unhappy, placed an order for Nexgard May 24 2019 they canceled June 6 said they contacted my vet by fax 3 times, so I called my vet and they never received a fax, confirmed fax # to both. Reorderd and had vet call in approval will see how long it will take to get order. So very unhappy to see a dependable pet supply site like Doctors Foster and Smith to go. :(

Kimberly Ehle Lake Placid, FL

The best company for dog supplies, esp. medication. I ordered a new medication for my dog and after getting approval from my vet, I then found out that I needed the meds earlier due to Hurricane Irma. I called and asked if I could change the delivery to get it in about 4-5 days and I would pay the extra. She came back on the line and informed me that the meds would be mailed to me UPS overnight and at no extra cost to me and then wished me and my family to be safe. I've used them for years for their Smart bones, but this is beyond anything I expected. They are also cheaper for meds that my vet.

John V. Lyman, SC

We have made a few online purchases over the years with Dr. Foster & Smith. Their products, prices and sales have been hard to beat. I recently received an order where one of the items was incorrect. I called their customer service who's representative was very personable. Not only did they correct the order but threw in a nice gift being close to Christmas. How wonderful was that? It's nice to know there are still great companies like this still out there and they should be proud of their company. I'll definitely continue business with them and I hope others will join me by ordering from them as well.

Diane Long Beach, NY

I bought from them for years, high quality products, never had any problems. I am very upset, loved their dog wee wee pads, I cannot find one like it. They are thick and absorbent. I bought the rubber holder that goes with them. I bought a lot when they were on sale and only have 1 package left. Other brands are cheap and flimsy. I also bought the best scratching post, it is a tripod and my cats need a new one, again, cannot find this particular product anywhere. If anyone knows where I can get these products, let me know, thanks.

Mr. L San Marcos, CA

I've been using Drs. Foster and Smith for almost 18 years, once I came across Drs. F&S they instantly become a #1 supplier of supplements for my dogs. Dealing with either digestive, or hips problems, or just nutritional supplements their pills/bites become more like treats than meds to my three generations of dogs. Now, I'm stuck like most of you on this thread loosing such reliable and resourceful one-stop-vet-shop. Anyway, big thanks and kudos to Drs F&S for everything you have done over the years for our pets.

Jackie Fort Walton Beach, FL

I am so sad to learn that I no longer have the opportunity to order from this loved and trused company We bought our first Doberman in 1987 and was introduced to Doctors Foster and Smith by the breeder. In 2018 we lost both of our senior Dobermans at 12 and 11 years old, thinking they would be our last ones, we had to no need to order from them...Until now! We just bought our 5th Doberman puppy :) and I was now looking for our tried and proven products from Doctor Foster and Smith. I am so sad because Petco is a joke! Chewy.com here we come!!

Savvy cat Knoxville, TN

This is a memorial post for Drs Foster and Smith. I started using them over 35 years ago from an overseas military post to keep up with the veterinarian info distributed through their mailed information bulletins. These veterinarians built a great company with accessible products and information. Of course, and unfortunately, this had to change through the years and the growth of mega-corporations and digital commerce. I will have to replace many of the items I used to purchase since the items have been discontinued. So long, and so sad to come into another era.

Pat Stuart, FL

I have been using Drs. Foster & Smith for over 15 years and have NEVER, EVER had one issue with them! Their website was great, prices were good and their customer service was quick and excellent. The very first order I placed with Petco was totally screwed up and their website is horrible. Sorry to see this great company was bought out. Refuse to shop online at Petco! Nothing but aggravation and headache.

susan haines New York, NY

Anything I have bought from Foster and Smith has been of top quality, i live in NYC and can find most items here, but Foster and Smith have it at a better price and it is delivered to my door. Their wee wee pads are thicker than any I have found in the city. I can easily find things such as Glandex not carried in most dog supply stores. There Customer Service that I have rarely used is attentive and positive result orientated. Cant ask for more

Robin Thomas Newark, DE

I've been ordering from www.drsfostersmith.com for 4+ years and have always received excellent products, reasonable shipping length / costs. I just had a great experience with customer service in regards to returning an item that was too small. Their inventory provides many more options than my local pet stores and their prices are lower. Plus they work well with my vet to fill prescriptions.

Linda Rodgers Rhinelander, WI

The customer service is fast and easy to deal with. The staff at Foster and Smith are extremely knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. They go above and beyond to ensure that you are happy. Shipping is fast and returns are easy as well. They have the best toys for my 2 Boxers at a great price. I also buy their brand of food for my puppies which they have a great program, buy 6 bags and the next is free. This is by far the BEST pet store I have ever dealt with.

C Lake Worth, FL

been a foster & smith customer for 20 years. great customer service. many of their prices are amazing and have not been increased in over a decade. recently ordered a mesh dog harness from them for $9 and comparable ones at petsmart are $26. their name id tags are only $3-6 including engraving. the f&s dog & cat dryfood is high quality, my pets love it. Their dog crates are about half the price you'd pay in store. I place large orders with them a few times each year to get the free shipping.. a giant 40+ pound box arrives and I spend less than $60.

Andrea J Glen Easton, WV

I always liked ordering from Dr Fosters and Smith,Polite customer service,and great responds to ordering.I would order and get my pet stuff in couple days,which they were always good about that.I liked there business and will miss them for sure.Thanks for all the years serving me and dogs.

Rich Eagle, CO

The best ever for quality and availability of wild bird products, now with Petco, that is all gone! The wild bird foods and seeds that were Dr. Foster-Smith have basically been discontinued at Petco. The products that Petco carries are trash in my mind. Sad that this happened to Dr. Foster- Smith.

Rita Winter Denver, CO

I want to thank you for reasonably priced and quality products. I was so lucky to find you. Plus, your assortment is great. I think you are simply the best when it comes to choice and quality for a loved pet. THANK YOU!!! Regards, Rita E. Winter

Tracy Oram Syracuse, NY

I ordered and recieved 2 three packs of the 3 x 1 inch silica airstones, 6 in all. One had a broken stem so I called customer service and they sent me an entire 3 pack, free of charge, in place of the defective one I still have. They didn't even want the broken one returned. I definately recommend these folks. I'll do business here more often.

Mike Park Forest, IL

Doctor Foster and Smith Was The Best Ever! Best customer service! Great people to deal with on any level. Sorry Petco, no deal here anymore. Bye but not forgotten Dr FnS. DE3MM22.

john p donahue New Braunfels, TX

Have used Dr. Foster and Smith exclusively over the years with no complaints. Their people were very helpful, and friendly with quick and free delivery. We will miss them! Not at all interested in dealing with Petco.

dogmama4 El Dorado, AR

Great prices, discounts, sales and great customer service!! The company will make things right!! I love Drs. Foster and Smith!!

Chai'el Ma'etheius , GA

Bought from F&S for over 30 years and now I cannot find in any local pet stores what F&S provided.