TrustFax is a product that was originally developed by Data On Call. In 2005, j2 Global acquired all of Data On Call’s cloud communication and business outsource processing holdings.

RingCentral chevron_right
SmartFax chevron_right

The Good

TrustFax is another faxing service that is offered by j2 Global. In comparison with the other products, TrustFax offers several of the following benefits:

• Plans that start at $9 per month.
  • You don't require a fax machine or phone line.
  • No activation or setup fees.
  • You can select your own toll-free, local, or vanity fax number.

The company also offers a free 30-day trial period. One of the other benefits of using TrustFax is that they also offer two payment plans. With TrustFax, you can either select to pay $9 per month. In addition, you can also pay annually. $89.50 per year is the going annual plan, which works out to $7.46 per month.

Overall, we liked the pricing with TrustFax. TrustFax, as mentioned above, lets you pick from two different plans, one that is billed monthly and the other that is billed annually. You do get a free 30-day trial period, which helps you give the product a test drive.

All the Standard Features

The plan with TrustFax is pretty basic and has all of the standard features in the industry. For this service, we found:

• A local, toll-free, or vanity fax number.
  • The ability to send and receive 250 pages per month.
  • Free account setup, with no extra charge.
  • Faxes that are sent directly to your email.
  • Digitized signatures tool.
  • Secure online fax storage for 30 days.
  • International faxing.
International Faxing

With some of the faxing companies in the industry, we found that you could either only send faxes within the USA or it counted substantially against your overall monthly page allotment. We found that with TrustFax, you were charged a per-minute rate, which was pretty reasonable.

Email Faxing

With Rapid Fax, a product from j2 Global's faxing services, you had to download a script from their website, which might deter the non-savvy computer user. With TrustFax, it is very easy to send a fax from your email. You simply type in the fax number of your recipient in an email address format and send.

Signature Tool

Many of j2 Global's faxing services did not have a built-in signature tool. You simply have to place your signature as an image on the document that you are going to be sending. However, with TrustFax, their online solution does come with a one-click solution. You can click on the image of the signature that you wish to use and easily add it to the document.

The Bad

As with j2 Global's other Internet faxing products, we did have some basic concerns with outdated website content, not a lot of information on the product, and a lack of demonstrations. We also noticed that TrustFax does not contain a mobile app for the iPhone or Android phone.

Lack of Mobile Apps

In the industry, the best Internet fax providers had a mobile app for customers to use. We would like to see a mobile app for TrustFax. With TrustFax, you can theoretically send a fax from your smartphone email app or use the web portal on your mobile browser. However, the mobile app would help TrustFax easily select their documents, sign, and send a fax.

Lack of Cloud Storage Integration

While TrustFax is web-based, we wanted to see some better cloud storage integration with the leading providers, such as Dropbox and Google Drive. With some providers in the industry, we were able to get faxes sent as a file DIRECTLY to the cloud storage service. With TrustFax, you can only get your faxes stored for 30 days. We couldn't find out whether or not you had to pay to recover old fax documents or pay for each fax that was stored on their servers after 30 days.

Page Allottment

While you get 250 pages of inbound/outbound faxes, we found that the $.10 per page price was a little bit steep in the industry. With other faxing solutions, we found that the overuse price ranged anywhere from $.08 to $.12 per page.

Also, there is not any scalability built into TrustFax. For larger power fax users, we would like to see different plans to help fax users send without having to pay an overuse fee based on the number of pages sent.

Lack of Demonstrations

While the features page and support areas of the website were a lot better than other competitors and j2 Global faxing products, we only saw one demonstration that showed how to e-sign faxes and a screenshot of how to send a fax from your email address. Before picking a product, we would like to see how the web interface works. While the e-sign feature looks pretty easy to use, we have no idea how the web portal actually works. This is important for understanding key features, like uploading files, deleting faxes, etc.

The Bottom Line

At this time, we do recommend TrustFax for the small business that will not send/receive more than 250 faxed pages per month. The only thing that really swayed our opinion with this product was TrustFax's e-sign feature. This ensures that you will only have to add your signature to the web app once, eliminating the need to affix your signature as an image in the fax document before you turn it into a PDF.

We do like the annual payment option, which makes it a lot easier to save a little bit of money. The overall savings with using the annual subscription is about $1 per month. Essentially, the free 30-day trial is a month's worth of free faxing.

1.0

Robert
May 9th, 2019 Newberry, FL DETAILS

Service works fine. To cancel took three calls with up to 20 minute wait times, but eventually got through and the service was canceled. I just didn't get enough faxes to justify the cost but it is a good service.

Lorraine
October 2nd, 2018 Asheville, NC DETAILS

I needed to cancel account in 2017. Even though it was within days of the renewal they would not give me any partial refund. This year they charged me like the account was never closed. They said they needed the email last year as proof I canceled. There is none. They said this time it was cancelled and I held him on the phone for 15 min waiting for the email to show up. Never did. I reported this to my credit card company along with the Better Business Bureau’s “F” rating (mostly for difficulty cancelling and recurring charges) to dispute the charge. They also put a block on this merchant from ever charging me again, even if my credit card number changes (which it had). Same thing happened to me with MetroFax about cancellation. Guess what? It’s part of the same company, J2 Cloud Services. I put a block on my credit card for this company, two. J2 Cloud Services has 26 different names.

George Richmond
July 20th, 2018 Elkhorn, NE

As so many others report, cancellation is impossible. I tried numerous times to cancel but either the on-line link failed or the phone conversation was a continual sales pitch, Finally when I disputed the charge with my CC company, Fax.com then acknowledged my cancellation request, but has continued to charge my card. J2 Services (parent of Fax.com) appears to be nothing but a den of thieves. Don't ever consider dealing with them!

Soren Wittrup
May 31st, 2018 Valparaiso, IN DETAILS

I signed with TrustFax in 2008, and for most of the time it was working fine. Recently I was informed via email, that a fax had successfully been sent; problem, I did not send a fax. After close to 3 hours of getting the run around by people in so called Customer Service, I finally got a specialist in the North American Support Center for the j2 Group who owns TrustFax now. To my amazement, he informed me, that they were unable to find out how and from where this fax (going to a company for credit application) originated. Seriously? The j2 Group sells all kinds of IT services KeepItSafe, Overvault, FrontSafe etc., all companies that hint at an expertise in keeping your information secure. I guess that the only information they in essence make sure to keep secure is your credit card information, so they can continuously bill you. If you have been so unlucky to contract with any of j2's entities, and find yourself wanting to cancel their services, my advise is, stay on the phone with them until you receive the email confirmation of your cancellation of service. At least you will have that as documentation, should you (as it might turn out in my case) incur additional legal hassle from their inability to keep your information safe. I would like to give it no or negative stars but this option is not available, so all I can do is advise to steer clear.

Doug Harvey
February 1st, 2018 Minneapolis, MN DETAILS

Can I give them a zero stars rating? READ THE FINE PRINT! This company will charge your credit card without notifying you prior, giving you NO opportunity to cancel their service in advance. It won't matter if your card on file is no longer valid with them. They'll run it anyway. And don't think they'll be understanding whatsoever even if you call in a timely manner asking politely for a refund. Most sompanies wouldn't want the negative feedback, but I guess the easy $ is more important to them than being ethical.

Carol Anne Teague
August 21st, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

Got a fax, can't open it. Customer service says there's no problem.

Marjan Mujib
May 5th, 2017 Providence, RI

Had been charging me for 19 months with an expired card in their system. Would not even give me a refund when I told them I never used their service for once and their website notes that my primary card was expired. Horrible company and a total fraud. Don't waste your money and time with them.

Arthur Newman
October 17th, 2016 Lynbrook, NY

Avoid using trustfax. Their billing is inaccurate and they make it ridiculously difficult to cancel the service. The will reply to inquiries via email, but insist that you call and speak to someone to cancel. However, I had three different CSRs hang up when I tried to cancel.

Rhonda
June 6th, 2016 Palestine, TX

I have notified the company by sending a ticket on several occasions because you can't call them. They have ignored my complaints and the problems continue. Everyday when I try to download my faxes, it gives me the message "The selected file is not available at this time. Please try again in a few minutes. Thank you." I can not deal with this daily because I have a business to run. I would NOT recommend this fax service to anyone that asked me. In fact, I would tell them to stay far away from this company and to be careful with some other companies that are connected to this one.

Brian
June 26th, 2015 Largo, FL

An outdated Scam!!!!! and they just told me that they do not port out numbers. So when you realize how badly outdated they are and try to switch providers and you want to bring your number that you ported to them and have had for 21 years, they won't let you do that!