Positive Zoosk reviews (below) state that the online dating site is easy-to-use, reasonably secure, and a great way to meet locals in the area. However, the majority of reviews reveal that customers weren't happy with how many out-of-date, fake accounts and scammers there were, the company's subpar customer service, and many subscribers felt that canceling their premium membership was harder than it needed to be.

A bit about the company's background:

Zoosk was founded in December 2007 by two undergraduate students at Sharif University of Technology in Iran: Shayan Zadeh and Alex Mehr. Both Zadeh and Mehr later went on to further their education in the United States. Today, Zoosk.com has over 25 million members in 80 countries. Unlike other dating apps and sites, Zoosk users can utilize their algorithm to find matches, or browse by preference. There is a free version of Zoosk available, and members can use this service easily on their mobile device by downloading Zoosk from the mobile app store.

In 2014, the online dating service lost money for the first time. However, the company attributed this to overspending and over-hiring.

#1 Tinder chevron_right
3.2
#2 Christian Connection chevron_right
#3 Match.com chevron_right
2.3

The Good

• Easy To Set Up A Dating Profile
  • Dating Tips and Advice
  • Zoosk Couples

Easy to Set Up A Dating Profile

Creating a profile with Zoosk is relatively easy and only takes a few minutes (depending on how much information you give). The site asks for basic information such as height, gender, body type, children, education, religion, a few pictures, and other information to help members get better matches. Members can input their interests and go into detail on what their ideal date would be. Members can even verify their account through social media, which will help improve their reputation on Zoosk.

The Zoosk mobile app also makes it easy to update any information and find potential matches. The dating app is available on both Android and iOS devices.

Dating Tips and Advice

Zoosk's blog is filled with hundreds of articles on online dating. Members can read through the articles to get dating advice, learn how to stay safe while online dating, learn how to send and respond to messages, and even find the latest dating studies. There are even articles about marriage and ways to make a long-term relationship last.

Zoosk Couples

Zoosk has an entire page showing off the men and women who have used Zoosk and found love. The site shares the stories of couples who are currently in long-term relationships, married, or happily in love because of Zoosk. While this isn't a dealbreaker for whether people should sign up for the site, it is nice to see couples that have braved the online dating world and found love.

The Bad

• Consumer Complaints
  • Pay To Message, Chat, and Use Other Features
  • No Refunds
  • Does Not Attempt To Verify Information

Consumer Complaints

There are a number of Zoosk reviews with members who are unhappy with its services. Many Zoosk customers felt like the site is littered with fake profiles and scammers, the dating site is difficult to navigate, the company's customer service is subpar at best, and that Zoosk is regularly sending bogus messages to get free members to sign up for a paid membership.

Perhaps the most common complaint is how Zoosk makes it incredibly difficult to unsubscribe from the premium membership and the excessive push for members to make in-app purchases.

Pay To Message, Chat, and Use Other Features

Zoosk's free trial is merely for those looking to see how the site works and if it's right for them.

However, online daters will have to sign up for one of Zoosk's monthly subscriptions to message, chat, see who's viewed them, and connect with SmartPick.

Customers looking to sign up for a Zoosk plan can pay per month or one payment.

6 months

One payment of $59.95

1 month

• $29.95 per month

One payment of $29.95

Zoosk warns members that subscriptions will automatically renew unless the account is canceled before the end of the subscription term.

No Refunds

In its Terms of Service, Zoosk mentions that all fees and charges are nonrefundable and there are no refunds or credits for any partially used Paid Services (including partially used subscription periods).

Does Not Attempt To Verify Information

Online daters should also be aware that Zoosk currently does not routinely screen users, inquire into the background of its users, attempt to verify information provided by its users or conduct criminal screenings of its users.

The Bottom Line

Online daters who are looking for a generic dating site with plenty of users should consider Zoosk. Zoosk is a recognized name and there are quite a few people who have found success using the site. Setting up a profile is easy and there are some good blog posts on how to navigate the world of online dating.

However, a significant number of consumer reviews reveal some issues with the service that daters might find troublesome. Many customers have a problem with the fact that the site only allows those with paid memberships to use any features. Other online dating sites usually have one or two free features for non-paying members, but Zoosk pretty much requires members pay to message, chat, or anything else. Once purchasing a subscription, many members felt that it wasn't worth their time and money, as they thought there was a substantial amount of scammers and fake profiles.

Overall, we recommend online daters find out more about Zoosk before signing up for a paid subscription. Also, be sure to check out our other online dating companies to find one that's right for you.

View Best Online Dating Companies

1.3

Michael Yester
October 11th, 2017 Greenville, NC

I subscribed a year ago for their service. I felt it was okay, really only talked and met one person. Otherwise nobody else I reached out to was a paid member. Luckily, I was able to cancel before it renewed. Just like in the article, I paid for the service just to find the message I wanted to see was an automated. That left a bad taste.

Gareth
October 4th, 2017

Most of its fake, people have to pass your profile to browse. The app then alerts you that someone has viewed your profile, nope they just skipped by. So it can make a frequent browser look like they are interested by it saying they've viewed your profile 25 times in one day. Contact them and you can get a very abrupt reply. Another fake feature is the 'someone wants to meet you'. Wow really? They never viewed my profile, they never chatted, best of all they never knew I existed. Unfortunately you have to pay a lot of money to find out what a scam this site is. Don't waste your cash, use a free site.

Debbie Schneider
August 14th, 2017

I joined the South African site and so far only mostly met men who had fake I.D's, stolen profile pictures (although photo verified by Zoosk) who appeared on Pigbusters (Scammer site) and on Romancescammers.com. After a week's chatting and wanting to meet them they need to leave town. Then has a financial crisis and needs money. Tineye Reverse Image helped me a lot to Identify some of them. I am yet to meet a real person on site. Think twice before joining. There are better sites.

William R. Schlecht
August 14th, 2017

Carousel doesn't allow user to Like someone after you have clicked on finding more about them. I then paid $20 (minimum amount) for "coins" to "unlock" carousel. I assumed this would allow this to fix this shortcoming. No fix. You click and this causes the person you are interested to vanish. No moniker. No search for monikers like match.com. Waste of money. The other match method provided is by way of unique matches where you CAN pull up info without losing out on the ability to communicate with the person. However, over time, out of 17-20 matches, 15-20 of them are the SAME matches.

KENNETH H KAISER
August 7th, 2017

Zoosk starts out seemingly fine. Then it turns out they are shady and not trying to match you with anyone. They ignore your distance preference, showing you members 100 - 2000 miles away. They tell you someone viewed your profile when they swiped by it. If you start deleting members from the list of who viewed you that person gets notified that you viewed them so the same people you deleted are right back trying to talk to you. They have a thing they offer to put your account on hold so you can take a break and not get bothered and come back when you want but they don't tell you that your membership keeps rolling and when you get back you have no more paid membership it expired. You have to pay again. How shady is that? There is much more but no room here to tell it all. Otherwise just like other sites. A lot of women that just want attention and women who think they are hotter than they are really because of the ratio of men to women and even a troll feminist will get 50 messages a day from desperate men who would mate with a wombat if they could catch one. So they think they can be snotty and reject men that in real life they would need new underwear if he even smiled at her. I'm sure their are some real winners when it comes to the available men on that site also. So, same thing just shadier business practices than other dating sites.

MM
June 21st, 2017

I had a pretty good experience on Zoosk: I would give it a 10 if it were free, but other than it being paid I have no major complaints. I went on four dates in two months with women I met on the site, and I ended up dating one of them for a few months. I am now back on the site after a break. I love the photo verification feature: I only message with women who are photo verified (I didn't see this feature on Match, POF, or any of the other major sites) so I generally know I am not talking to scammers. I also like that it is very easy to cancel a subscription online without having to call.

Lawrence Howell
April 17th, 2017 Seattle, WA

The absolute worst of the many online dating services.I signed up after spotting, during their free trial, someone of interest in a nearby city because I had to join to email this person. Once they had my money (almost $80), that person in the nearby city did not appear anymore. They said that they couldn't control that. It was blatant misrepresentation and criminal deceit. Within the hour, I complained about the lies and got only response that I could cancel my account, but no refund. Since I was trapped I decided to see if the service had any merits, but the website is useless. Searches ignore the settings preferences that I set. There is no way to keep a list of any profile of interest except by actually contacting that person instantly. A simple way of being able to save profiles without contact is a no-brainer in my opinion. They have some sort of carousel BS that helps them match you. It is a farce. I received plenty of contacts from interested women, but even if I have deleted them they continue to appear in my contacted folder. They are immune from the law being based in Canada. I am going to spend every chance I get reporting and warning people about Zoosk. I have belonged to other services. This is the worst. Way past bordering on criminal misrepresentation.BEWARE I liked: Very little. I didn't like: Automatic billing of cc no refund on day 1 of service complaint. Plus I am confident that they sold my phone number and who knows what other data to telemarketers.

ContactZoosk
December 26th, 2016

A way to get instant response from ZOOSK customer support! Signed up for free account. Discovered I was getting way to many emails a day, pushing me to pay money, pay money, pay money. I tried to stop the emails by using the unsubscribe listed at end of incoming emails. Nothing worked. I started looking for contact info on site. Nada. Finally I searched online for contact info to remove my account. Couldn't locate anyway to contact the people who run this site. Saw lots of complaints about this dating service. Thought thank goodness I didn't give them my cc info. This could have been so much worse. Still I was annoyed that I couldn't get anyone to remove my profile nor was there an easy to remove profile button anywhere to be found nor get anyone to even acknowledge me. So I figured I could at least have some free fun marketing of my annoyance. I was laughing creating this fictitional person. I changed my name on the site to "SiteEatsManure". The in my story 'about me' I listed my travails in trying to get removed. In the 'ideal first date' I wrote :'sitting in courtroom as judge handed down millions in awards for damages in the class action suit brought against Zoosk for being unable and totally unwilling to stop the harassment'. I then posted my favorite picture of Sophia Loren. Complete with subtitle including her name and the credits to Getty Library. To my total amazement within 30 minutes site came back approving my new online datesite name. My roommate who had listened to me complain and my resulting writeup about the problem thought my solution hysterical. I figured one might as well have fun. I never expected to get any response other than from more men I would never consider dating. Low and behold within a couple hours my sitename was disapproved. The following morning there were emails stating that "your updates were declined for not following Zoosk's guidelines" really!!! I cannot imagine why not. LMAO. Finally I got another email from Zoosk, low and behold a customer support person actually wrote back! (A HUMAN FINALLY CONTACTED ME VIA EMAIL!) which read we have removed your profile as requested! Hummmmm. I HAD NO WAY TO CONTACT ANYONE TO REQUEST THE REMOVAL OF MY NON-ACCOUNT! The entire funny (ok obnoxious) skit was manufactured to make it possible to laugh over these clowns. I wasn't expecting to actually be able to get the attention of anyone at the site! Much less have a customer support person contact me via email. At any rate. For those of you who haven't been able to get a word in edgewise nor even a contact link to a company that refuses any sort of email contact, try the way I did. At least creative answers to dating questions apparently gets their attention. Who the heck thinks up a paid dating site that disables any sort of email contact with any sort of customer support? I guess they are losing money and cannot afford customer support. Plus the suggested dates were disasters or many 'suggested' pics of same very attractive men from other sites using same pictures of men doing things I said I enjoyed! What rubbish! They are clearly marketing ads, not real life men searching for a partner and friend in life. Hey maybe they will use my pic of Sophia Loren as bait for the men!!!

Sherry Pendleton
April 21st, 2016 Kansas City, MO

Your such thief's! Your " buying coins option" is proof that what your company offers and what you really get are completely fake! Your company really messed up when you took photos from my FaceBook page and posted photos of a 15 yr. old girl without permission! What were you thinking?! Seemed your company was attempting to attract pedifiles. Surely you did not mistake a 15 year old girl with a 59 year old woman!? That particular little girl's daddy is a homicide detective, he is my son in law. And feels the internet is an aweful tool for children. I used to argue with him about it, but he proved me wrong. I am extremely careful with the internet now, your company made me aware how easy one little piece of information can really real havoc on a person. PEOPLE-be careful, very careful!

Jm
April 8th, 2016 Ringoes, NJ

There is no way to change settings, cancel, or contact anyone. I have unsubscribed to email notifications multiple times but i continue to receive them.

larysa
December 15th, 2015 Owens Cross Roads, AL

The biggest rip off site. Even if you pay the membership they still want additional fees for finding out and contacting interested parties... No other site gigs you for additional money for standard services.

manuel rosales
July 28th, 2015 Sioux City, IA

It was really bad! I was only scammed for money. Their is a lot of scammers on your site.

T88
July 28th, 2015 Chicago, IL

Useless search engine that does not allow the user to read key information on profiles of interest. Matched with people that live hundreds of miles away! Coin feature and the accumulation thereof is a huge waste of time and must be used to "unlock matched profiles". No way to screen potential matches. Not happy with this site at all.

Mark Wheeler
July 17th, 2015 Du Bois, PA

Scam are on every site--but this site does well to encourage honesty and truthful dealing. The matching feature is not real. Of the people I was matched with not one showed interest in me, And they were all the most attractive women. I would give 7 out of 10 for this site.

Jonathan Wade
July 15th, 2015 Lanham, MD

Nobody real is ever online and the advertisments are misleading. I joined because the ads made it seem like women are looking for dates but in reality, there were no women looking for dates. The color scheme is bland and boring and modifications have to be done with the font so that it looks inviting.

David Anderson
July 14th, 2015 TX

Too pricey and no responses.

randy
July 14th, 2015 Richland Center, WI

I understand its about making money but . .why should i keep paying for fake messages from shell accounts. If you do find a live person 98 % are gimmee girls looking for free ride free lunch or some other scam.... Not really worth your time

Edgar
July 13th, 2015 Grand Rapids, MI

The site is a waste of time. Nobody responds, there are fake profiles, there profiles with photos that are adds, and the search option is horrible. I recommend another site.

Rick
July 13th, 2015 Iowa City, IA

The site was setup so that when you looked in your inbox at users that had viewed you, it showed them you viewed them, which was not true. Then when they checked theirs it showed you they viewed you. Sets up a indefinite loop of false views which is annoying. In addition I don't recall there being a way to tell if it was a subscribing member so as to avoid wasting time emailing someone that cannot reply without paying. If they are not paying, they are not serious.

N/A
July 13th, 2015 Front Royal, VA

I'm giving it a rating of 2-10 strictly because, I feel, especially in light of other websites, that it's behind in terms of communication. I've been looking for my special someone for quite a while now, and I've messaged hundreds of people, and with few reply. This could be me, I admit that. However, considering my failure rate, I would not be willing to pay to message, and receive a non-reply from most contacts. I do not use Zoosk because I can't at least communicate for free. Yes, I get it, it's a business and all. And honestly, if I was an employee with the company, I would think of an alternative. POF and OKC both allow for free communication, but hide features. I actually subscribed because I wanted the features. The benefit to Zoosk just doesn't, to me, seem worth my time. Match.com and Eharmony, despite their success, are not for me either because of the incurring cost. If I found my special someone on Zoosk, for free, I'd be willing to donate out of gratitude, and the goodness of my heart, but you can't build a business on gratitude. Others may feel differently.

S.R.
July 13th, 2015 Corona, CA

I really did not like Zoosk. The website's layout, poor search engine, and critically limited user information was enough to make me realize it was a mistake right after I made my profile. I would recommend not wasting your money.

C
July 13th, 2015 Springfield, MO

I really hate to dog a company online - I know that not everything works for everyone but I recently saw a zoosk commercial asking us to "rate" the site and I would like to speak my say. This is the worst of all worst dating sites I have ever used. Again, if it was just horrible, I would just move on, though to pay such a high rate to use the site and to not meet anyone was not good. Zoosk essentially has no filters for use: this means that anyone with a social media site (primarily facebook but even old myspace and zebo accounts) can get set up. It leaves endless empty shell accounts. There are to many profiles to really make sense of it, and at the end of the day, a lot of abuse on the site because it's easy for bots to hide. There is also what I believe to be paid "users" to keep people somewhat engaged though page "likes" and random "hi" messages. Everything about the site reeks of such sleaziness and it's a shame that they put so much into advertising though not into making a cool site. For the money, it's almost userous. I feel anyone wanting to use the site should be warned: I wouldn't waste your money. There are plenty of free dating sites and even paid sights that have put in the effort. Zoosk is taking advantage of the fact that people are lonely and looking for positive connection. This site needs to go out of business.

Ryan L
July 10th, 2015 Saint John, IN

It seemed alright at first and I found much in common with many different women on the page. After some time though it was just a waiting game. Nobody ever responds to even the most simple messages and the whole search option is out of the question. Any time I have meet a woman online nothing ever came of it. Just seemed like a waste of my time and money. I should have gone with another site! Avoid by all means!!!

unknown
July 9th, 2015 Tyler, TX

u need to make a free web site so u can tlk to them insted paying jst to tlk

Tim
July 8th, 2015 Saint Joseph, MO

My experience was the worst. The matches were awful. A lot of the women were rude, ill-mannered and very shallow. The date I did finally get was an absolute disaster. I think there is something seriously flawed with your algorithm. I don't see how it came up with that person for a match. The pricing plans were ridiculous and way to high for the value of the site. Why should I be gouged because I only want to try it out for a month. If I can't find a match in that time there really is no need to drag it out past that. Overall the site was a big disappointment and not worth the value. I do not recommend this site to friends.

Jim
July 7th, 2015 Seattle, WA

Zoosk tried to push people on me that I told them I was not interested in. And many Zoosk women they think they are too good for themselves. VERY BAD EXPERIENCE