U-Haul Logo
LAST UPDATED: September 10th, 2021

U-Haul Moving Services was co founded in 1945 by  L.S. Shoen and his wife, Anna Mary Carty Shoen. After World War ll this couple recognized the need for do-it-yourself moving equipment that would be available on a one-way, nationwide basis. Today U-Haul trucks and trailers can be rented from over 15,000 independent dealers and more than 1,200 company-owned U-Haul Moving Centers.

The Good

• Moving Supplies and Moving Help
  • One-Way Destination
  • Low Price on In-Town Moves

Moving Supplies & Moving Help

U-Haul offers multiple moving supplies to make your move simple and easy. Also, U-Hauls is 100 percent buy-back of any unused U-Haul box, with receipt, at any U-Haul center nationwide. Some of the moving supplies U-Haul offers include the following:

• Boxes
  • Covers and Bags
  • Moving and Lifting Tools
  • Rope and Tie Downs
  • Storage Solutions
  • Tape

If you need extra hands to speed up the process of moving you can request additional moving help:

• Load/Unload
  • Pack/Unpack
  • Rental Truck Driving
  • Maid Services/Home Cleaning

One-Way Destination

Moving can be stressful and frustrating, especially when you do not have the right equipment to make the move fast and easy. U-haul is determined to help the customers by offering on-way destination moves. The hustle of driving a rented truck to its original location is eliminated by offering a specific drop-off location in the state where you have moved to.

Low Prices on In-Town Moves

U-Haul offers low prices on the moving trucks if you need to use them in the town where you live. Prices start as low as $19.95 with $0.69 per mile, but total cost is based on the size of the truck and how many miles you will be driving. Also, you have the option to pick extended days and miles rates if you need the truck for certain amount of days.

The Bad

• High Price on Between-State Moves
  • Restrictions on Ford Explorer

High Prices on Between-State Moves

Even though the prices on the U-Haul trucks are cheap for in-town movers, they are much higher if you need to move to a different state. Depending on where you are moving, the prices can range from $170 to $1,200 on a small truck, and up to $1,900 on the larger trucks.

Restrictions on Ford Explorer

If you decide to use U-Haul as your moving partner, you're required to enter the make, model, and year of the vehicle you'll be using if you'll be towing a trailer. If you say that you'll be towing with a Ford Explorer, you may receive a statement that restricts you from using any of the U-Haul equipment because of the excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations.

The Bottom Line

U-Haul is a do-it yourself moving service that provides moving vehicles, as well as moving equipment, storage facilities and moving help. To make the process even easier you have the option to drop off the moving trucks in the location where you have moved to, even though you might have picked up that same truck somewhere else. If you are using moving trucks in the same town you live in the prices are affordable and customizable based on the days you need it for; however, if you need to moving trucks to move from one state to another the prices might go up to $1,900. Also, if you own Ford Explorer, you can not use their moving equipment because of the excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations.

Rhona Leffler Olney, MD

Renting a truck from U-Haul is both convenient (a lot of locations) and affordable. Depending on the knowledge agent of the rental clerk behind the counter, the process could be very efficient or take a while.

Van M. Orem, UT

I used U-haul for moving many times, storage units for a long time, and they are everywhere so it was helpful to use in that sense. One time the engine went out while driving and they paid for us to stay the night in a hotel and got everything worked out.

Crystal

Used a uhaul from Washington State to new Mexico. It was a 10 ft truck, easy to drive very smooth. I think they had speed control on though. Couldn't go faster than 70 even though some freeways in states are faster which really sucked. It wasn't our first choice of renting due to its higher pricing than others but it's automatic and has many outlets where I could return.

Ryan Harpenau Fayetteville, AR

I have never paid for a U-Haul personally so I cannot speak on the price, but when helping other people move with the company it is always a convenient service. They allow you to drive the car yourself as long as you pick it up and drop it off in time and provide moving pads to protect furniture that you move. I wouldn't recommend it if you have expensive furniture unless you have moving experience with that type of stuff.

G Burt ,

Overall a great experience on both of our cross-country moves. We have utilized their pod services, and moving truck rentals. My one semi-negative experience was when they changed my pick-up location last minute to a place that was not a very good location, and I had to wait for a few hours to pick up my truck.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

I had a great experience with U-Haul htis last summer. I had to rent a trailer to pull a Jeep to Utah. It was a last minute decision and through the website I arranged the rental and picked it up all in one morning. I needed help hooking everything up and got awesome help from a woman who worked there. Dropping off on the other end was super easy!

Nicole Johnson Portland, OR

We have been saved by U-Haul a number of times when we have been moving, towing, or the like, because of their rental services. They have large, reliable vehicles for moving and they are a decent rate. The tow dolly we rented took our car many miles.

Ryan Larsen Logan, UT

I have used U-Haul many times for moves. I have used everything from trailers to their largest moving trucks. I have been satisfied with their vehicles and trailers. I have never had any mechanical issues. Their equipment is very convenient for moving and I appreciate their many dealers.

Keiana Knowles Tallahassee, FL

They made moving out for college very easy and the prices are very affordable

Robert Wilson Rockville, MD

We used U-Haul when we moved to a new house. Because the move was close we rented a 15 foot truck and did multiple runs. The truck worked well but smelled like someone had smoked in it. The rental process was not bad but I wished that they would have thrown in some of the moving blankets for free. All-in-all it is a good service and very convenient. I would recommend using them again.

Stan Hollingshead Sandy, UT

I rented a trailer from UHAUL last summer. I found the staff at the pickup location knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, and fair. The trailer was older, but in good shape, clean, and functional. The online instructions were also helpful in guiding me through getting my hitch and light wiring setup on my vehicle. My only complaint was the drop off location forgot to process my return and I had to call the 800 number to clear it up.

Lawrence Lee Provo, UT

I don't have too much to say about any of the moving companies I've used except that they worked pretty much how I expected. I did some price and review comps beforehand. Its crazy how much stuff you can accumulate but if you have some people who are good at Tetris and rules of gravity, it's not a bad option for moving! There's containers now that you can use for moves, but it's all preference. You can get some good sized moving trucks for pretty cheap!

Samantha Grabert Salt Lake City, UT

Used it to move a family member to another state, was easy to rent, worked well and easy return.

Hailey Burt Riverton, UT

My family has used U-Haul plenty of times but most recently we moved some stuff from New York to Utah, rented a U-Haul and it was perfect! Super easy and affordable.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I've rented several U Hauls over the years. They are always clean and ready to be used. Most even smaller towns have a pick up and drop off. Good company that has been around for years.

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

We used this to move a washer and dryer. We liked how close it was to our house and renting it was not a big hassle. However I think it was a bit pricey. I wish it was a little more affordable.

Jami Myers Victor, ID

We've used UHaul multiple time when we've been in a pinch to move some items quickly. They have always been a reliable source for us. The dealers are friendly and the trailers are high quality.

Pete Centerville, UT

I rented a truck for the day to help me move offices. Everything was really easy and straightforward. Fair price and the workers were very helpful and nice. I'd definitely use U-Haul again.

Amy McCarlie Orem, UT

Highly recommend Uhaul. Every time we have rented a truck, its been a pleasant experience. I know some rental places can be a headache, but I really like how simple and smoothly the experience was.

Tommy McCarlie Chicago, IL

I love the random facts on U-Haul trucks though I hate the fine print of every contract I must sign. Still, the sheer ubiquity of U-Haul gives it a leg up on competitors. They know you pay for that convienience.

Emily Norton Tucson, AZ

I used U-Haul to move from southern Arizona to northern Utah and it was honestly pretty cheap. I love that you can pick up and drop off in different locations. Depending where you live does affect your rental options and availability so sometimes it’s hard to get exactly what you need.

Rachel F Salt Lake City, UT

We found this the cheapest yet most reliable way to drive our things cross country when moving. We even slept in the cabin at a truck stop one night! One downside is the miles per gallon is pretty low and you really shouldn't go above 55 mph.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

U-haul has always been the most economical truck rental for moving that I have ever seen. Trucks may be a little older in general but are well maintained. they also have the lowest floors for easier packing and loading. For the price, this company cannot be beat for cross country moves.

Christina Bliss Lehi, UT

Recently moved out of State we search around at different companies to try and find a better value but ended up returning to U-haul because they still gave us the cheapest rate. Move went smoothly no problem with the rental or the service .

Poundesk Saratoga Springs, UT

Its always easy to find a rental truck of any size needed with Uhaul. The ability to pickup in one location and drop off in another is a huge convenience when moving a cross country. Their trucks are always clean and ready to go.

Chantell Filiaga South Jordan, UT

Had only good experiences with U hauls. Love their many options of transportation and their many different sizes of trucks. Rented a trailer to drive to another city and it got us there safely with our stuff and returning it was a breeze. Didn’t have to drive it back to the city we rented it from.

Bryndie Managua, MN

I was delayed when picking up a U-Haul trailer and stayed in contact with the store and they stayed a few minutes extra to make sure I could pick it up which was great customer service. However, the trailer I received was old and pretty dirty inside and I was considered about it damaging the things I was moving.

Nathan D. Warrendale, PA

If you are like me and don't want to pay for a professional moving company and have friends that can help you lug around your furniture, UHaul is great! The trucks are easy to load and relatively easy to drive. The price is affordable as well.

Morgan Huff Phoenix, AZ

U-Haul has been fairly consistent with their moving services. Their vehicles have always been fairly priced and get the job done.

Kristy Boise, ID

Mostly good. Only complaint is they didn't have the truck at the pickup location I requested so I had to drive 20 extra minutes. Not much of a big deal.

Yolanda Briganti Riverton, UT

While moving across the country, we broke down in Wyoming and were able to get a U-Haul truck with a trailer to make it to our destination. The truck sounded like it was going to stop working but we made it.

Erin Glendening Gonzales, LA

Helped match me to the right sized moving van for my needs. Vehicle was in good condition and clean. Rental office had for sale all the moving supplies I needed including boxes, tape, packing material, and moving blankets.

Valentino Chanel South Jordan, UT

The obvious choice for anyone who loves. We rented here for a few days and it helped. Had no issues and was able to return it in the city we settled in. Price was okay. Disagree with having to fill it up before returning it.

take7 Sandy, UT

Sometimes the price is not fun but it’s very convenient to use when moving and big jobs our regular car can’t do. It has big storage trucks and smaller ones too. There’s a location everywhere so that helps too.

Wendy Liu Bethesda, MD

I have had such a great experience with UHaul! Great customer service, rental vehicles are in excellent condition, easy process for online reservation and pick-up. They're opened 24/7 which is also very helpful!

Adrianne murray Brigham City, UT

I’ve only used them 3 times but it was interstate so the cost was a little higher. But totally worth every penny. The vehicle was nice and when we used the trailer it had nice tires. Would use again

Kristin Pleasant Grove, UT

We have used U-Haul trucks every time we have moved a short distance. My only complaint would be is that they charge for extra blankets or even a dolly. They need to include more in their regular price.

L. Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

We have used U-Haul several times to move furniture to and from locations. They are a very reputable and trustworthy company we would use again because of their fair prices and dependable trucks.

Brayden D. Gilbert, AZ

Uhal is the best at what they do and I always refer them to my friends mainly because their trucks for rent are perfect for moving.

Tom Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used U-Haul many times and they are always very reasonable, very convenient, and very flexible. I will always use them.

Freddy V Layton, UT

Everytime I needed to move something I always use U-Haul! Wether I’m moving boxes and furniture or wether I’m moving a car, I always go to U-Haul!

Lori Fletcher Saratoga Springs, UT

The trucks were cleaned out and when we were a few minutes late they didn't charge the fee. We did call before to let them know, but overall a great experience.

AGenes Eagle Mountain, UT

Uhaul moving company is okay. Decently priced although it’s more expensive than Budget. Rented a truck from here and was giving a truck with no tail lights. That was fun.

Aimee Mortensen Pleasant Grove, UT

I’ve used U-haul to move several times. I was grateful they offered multiple trailer options and could pick-up in one location and drop off in another.

Cam McClellan Magna, UT

We have rented a few U-Haul trucks in our life for moves across states. U-Haul is the trusted name in the industry and we have never been disappointed.

Geneve Pierre Fort Lauderdale, FL

Very great company when moving to different locations. These individuals are very affordable and willing to work with their customers and their hectic schedules .

Jacob American Fork, UT

Uhaul makes moving so easy and affordable. With a variety of options to choose from for sizing, moving is made simple and everything can stay in one place.

Mia Tallahassee, FL

Very quick and easy to rent a moving truck here. There are different sizes of trucks to pick from and it is not expensive.

Gerald Hays Layton, UT

A good experience all together once we picked up the truck, the truck was new and ran well and pulled the 12 ft trailer very easily.

David T Ogden, UT

We have rented a few Uhauls and the service isn't amazing, but the trucks have always worked well and done the job we needed.