U-Haul Logo
LAST UPDATED: September 10th, 2021

U-Haul Moving Services was co founded in 1945 by  L.S. Shoen and his wife, Anna Mary Carty Shoen. After World War ll this couple recognized the need for do-it-yourself moving equipment that would be available on a one-way, nationwide basis. Today U-Haul trucks and trailers can be rented from over 15,000 independent dealers and more than 1,200 company-owned U-Haul Moving Centers.

The Good

• Moving Supplies and Moving Help
  • One-Way Destination
  • Low Price on In-Town Moves

Moving Supplies & Moving Help

U-Haul offers multiple moving supplies to make your move simple and easy. Also, U-Hauls is 100 percent buy-back of any unused U-Haul box, with receipt, at any U-Haul center nationwide. Some of the moving supplies U-Haul offers include the following:

• Boxes
  • Covers and Bags
  • Moving and Lifting Tools
  • Rope and Tie Downs
  • Storage Solutions
  • Tape

If you need extra hands to speed up the process of moving you can request additional moving help:

• Load/Unload
  • Pack/Unpack
  • Rental Truck Driving
  • Maid Services/Home Cleaning

One-Way Destination

Moving can be stressful and frustrating, especially when you do not have the right equipment to make the move fast and easy. U-haul is determined to help the customers by offering on-way destination moves. The hustle of driving a rented truck to its original location is eliminated by offering a specific drop-off location in the state where you have moved to.

Low Prices on In-Town Moves

U-Haul offers low prices on the moving trucks if you need to use them in the town where you live. Prices start as low as $19.95 with $0.69 per mile, but total cost is based on the size of the truck and how many miles you will be driving. Also, you have the option to pick extended days and miles rates if you need the truck for certain amount of days.

The Bad

• High Price on Between-State Moves
  • Restrictions on Ford Explorer

High Prices on Between-State Moves

Even though the prices on the U-Haul trucks are cheap for in-town movers, they are much higher if you need to move to a different state. Depending on where you are moving, the prices can range from $170 to $1,200 on a small truck, and up to $1,900 on the larger trucks.

Restrictions on Ford Explorer

If you decide to use U-Haul as your moving partner, you're required to enter the make, model, and year of the vehicle you'll be using if you'll be towing a trailer. If you say that you'll be towing with a Ford Explorer, you may receive a statement that restricts you from using any of the U-Haul equipment because of the excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations.

The Bottom Line

U-Haul is a do-it yourself moving service that provides moving vehicles, as well as moving equipment, storage facilities and moving help. To make the process even easier you have the option to drop off the moving trucks in the location where you have moved to, even though you might have picked up that same truck somewhere else. If you are using moving trucks in the same town you live in the prices are affordable and customizable based on the days you need it for; however, if you need to moving trucks to move from one state to another the prices might go up to $1,900. Also, if you own Ford Explorer, you can not use their moving equipment because of the excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

Charged me 150$ for a freaking crack in the windshield that was already there. Moved across the country, paid for every mile, returned early in clean and perfect condition. even had a picture of the crack on file from the before documentation they make you do on your phone (convoluted process at best btw) and they still charged me. crooks.

Jason m

I rented a U-Haul pick up for the first time and I spent $210 before I even turned the key. I just needed it for the day as I was moving bedroom furniture round trip from Fort Myers to Ocala which, all in all, is roughly 475 miles. The truck was nice despite the person before me only putting 1/4 of a tank of gas in....fast forward to dropping off the truck. The location closed at 7pm and I arrived at 10:30pm, yet the attendant said I could return at any time. That’s all that was said, nothing about the online check in to return. I had to take pics of the truck and it was very cumbersome to use. At the end of the return check in online I get told I still owed another $70? Not mentioned whatsoever by the attendant in the morning. I can understand $15 for the mileage I went over, but $70 on top of an already exorbitant $210 left a bad taste in my mouth! I can’t give the review a 0 because it did provide me with the service I asked for. Just too expensively...if I were 21 or over, I would have gone to either Lowe’s or Home Depot to rent one of their trucks for the whole day for a flat $90! Unless I was in a severe pinch or had a LARGE amount of stuff I would not use U-Haul again.

Alison Middlefield, CT

This is a rip-off. They will charge you for services you did not use. Run far from U-haul and never use them. We used to be regular customers but we will never use them again. I rented a trailer for a one way move. When I tried to use it I realized it was too small and would not meet my needs. I returned it 1 1/2 hours after I had received it. I was told I would be refunded the time I did not use but this is not the case. They charged me the full cost of the service I did not use. They refused to explain any of this until many days later. As I said, never again!!!

Luke Gibson Provo, UT

It seems like wherever I go around the country, U-Haul is consistently a difficult experience. Something always turns out differently than you'd hoped, and not in a good way. The prices advertised are deceiving, they need a much better model to communicate what a customer will actually end up paying instead of blasting "only $20!" on the side of their trucks when you will very likely be paying $100+. The customer service is consistently terrible and the more avoided the better. However this isn't usually possible since something is always sure to go wrong.

Jeremy Webb Covington, LA

Over priced, terrible management and horrible customer service!!! I have used Uhaul many times and have become tired of the overpriced rundown box trucks they offer. Rented plenty of trucks that the A/C didn’t work and if I’m paying $1.09 a mile that shouldn’t happen. Then when you call Uhaul and you don’t deal with the company you have to deal with the owner of that location which of course will not be helpful. Other truck companies are cheaper and WAY more helpful. AVOID UHAUL!!!

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

U-Haul has been useful in the past, but after a bad experience with a U-Haul dealer in Boulder, it is unlikely I will use their services again. The man working behind the front desk was disorganized and terribly unhelpful after "losing track" of our trailer. It was a huge inconvenience and completely unprofessional.

Jon Posey Riverton, UT

I think Uhaul is 20 years behind the rest of the world. Their trucks are garbage, they never work, always break down, and then you are stuck with all that wasted time. I will never use them again.

Ed Williams

I've the the worst experience, truck broke down 9n the road, trailer caught a flat, and it took 4hrs for partial repair

Jenn0507 Dallas, TX

Complete rip off. By far the worst customer service out there. As a business owner who uses uhaul extremely often it’s absurd how they treat repeat consistent customers.

Wasmi Alfuzai Grand Junction, CO

The worse in road services I have seen. Around 1 and half hours waiting and freezing in the freezing weather.

Berk DeLevi

The customer service has no clue about what's going on.